PDA

View Full Version : Steelers To Extend Brown?

ShutDown24
03-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Posted by Tyler Dunn, March 12th 2012, 5:50 pm EST

There has been much speculation of late about a certain Pittsburgh Steeler possibly leaving the team via restricted free agency.

But Mike Wallace isnít the only receiver Kevin Colbert & co. are concerned about re-signing.

Antonio Brown, the teamís other 1,000+ yard receiver, is also going to need a new deal soon.

Brown is in the final year of his rookie contract.

Read more...

http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/2012/03/12/steelers-hope-to-extend-brown-7/

Bayz101
03-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Brown's the better all-around young receiver on our team, and I hope he get's a nice little extension to keep it that way.

DanRooney
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Does he know the playbook yet?

Bayz101
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Does he know the playbook yet?

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/13100000/Take-The-Bait-penguins-of-madagascar-13156955-700-511.jpg

Take it. Dan wants you to.

Bayz101
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Your not even a good troll. Good troll's don't use the same material like it's Lindsay Lohan's cooter at a celeb has-been's party.

Fire Arians
03-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Brown's the better all-around young receiver on our team, and I hope he get's a nice little extension to keep it that way.

I agree. he's fast enough to stretch the defense and has the guts to run routes over the middle. and he's a special teams ace. I'd rather have him on the team than wallace tbh

Bayz101
03-12-2012, 09:23 PM
I agree. he's fast enough to stretch the defense and has the guts to run routes over the middle. and he's a special teams ace. I'd rather have him on the team than wallace tbh

If it came down to him and Wallace i'd take him, but I wouldn't mind having them both :chuckle:

tony hipchest
03-12-2012, 09:43 PM
what the poor little troll/novice fan is ignorant to, is that even some of the best wr's dont come into their own or learn the entire playbook until their 3rd year in the league.

im pretty certain brown hasnt even begun to look at wallace's position yet.

poor dan... owned once again.

tanda10506
03-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Your not even a good troll. Good troll's don't use the same material like it's Lindsay Lohan's cooter at a celeb has-been's party.

I would still take a piece of that cooter!

As much as I like Brown and as critical as I was of Wallace during thr second half of the season, I cant help but wonder if Brown would be nearly as good as he was without Wallace drawing double teams and safety attention. Regardless, I hope we can extend Brown either way.

Bayz101
03-13-2012, 12:47 AM
I would still take a piece of that cooter!

As much as I like Brown and as critical as I was of Wallace during thr second half of the season, I cant help but wonder if Brown would be nearly as good as he was without Wallace drawing double teams and safety attention. Regardless, I hope we can extend Brown either way.

The 49'ers didn't double-cover Wallace for much of that game due to Ben's inability to throw a good deep ball, but Brown still stepped it up. I'm confident that Brown can make play's regardless.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Stretches the Defense? My god do you guys ever watch the replays when Wallace has the w safetys already back 30 yards to defend the bomb?lol Wallace stretched the Def, Brown was able to find the seams because they were 2o yards wide.

If you dont get it yet, these 2 are 1a and 1b on the team. They compliment each other with how the def has to prevent the big plays. A crafty O coach will exploit that even more as opposed to how Arians didnt.

Kingmagyar
03-14-2012, 09:25 AM
But the fact is with the market the way it is for WRs we are going to lose Mike Wallace if not this year then next for sure. Because any contract with him is going to start at 10 million per year bottom line. And the Steelers will not pay that.

If Brown a 3rd year player is offered a long term deal this summer for even I believe 6 million per year he would take it. I don't think he would put off a nice signing bonus and guaranteed money with the uncertainty of the future and having to play this year and then the year after that as a RFA before he could sign for any significant guaranteed money. Figure he would earn maybe 3.5 million the next 2 seasons or get like 12 or more million for that same amount of time.

Would be ironic for Wallace though playing for 2.7 million and seeing Brown sign for 6 mil per.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 09:32 AM
a big problem is steelers self imposed internal policy to never negotiate extensions with players who have more than a year remaining on their contract. they cringed doing it with ben and now he is a relative bargain and able to give cap room back in the form of restructured signing bonuses.

Kingmagyar
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
a big problem is steelers self imposed internal policy to never negotiate extensions with players who have more than a year remaining on their contract. they cringed doing it with ben and now he is a relative bargain and able to give cap room back in the form of restructured signing bonuses.

Brown technically only has one year left on his contract. He would be a RFA next year and if they wait.... it's Wallace all over again and a team may actually give up a #1 for Brown. Plus then he's looking for 10 million per.

kan_t
03-14-2012, 11:18 AM
It's a no-brainer to me. They should extend him. I bet they're figuring out how to do it with their cap situation.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
No way a team is giving up a 1 for Brown. You guys way over value him.

They should extend him, and apparently after the last 2 days, they shouldve extended him Sunday night, lol

tanda10506
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
It may be unlikely or wishful thinking, but if at all possible, extend Brown and get Wallace on a long term deal and we won't be worrying about WR's for a while. It was nice having 5 good WR's this year but that's almost impossible to maintain, with Wallace and Brown at WR and Miller at TE (provided Haley wants to use him), that's all you need.

tanda10506
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
No way a team is giving up a 1 for Brown. You guys way over value him.

It is highly unlikely that a team would give up a #1 and a big contract for Brown next year, agreed, but I don't think we over value him. He's just not a big name yet so other teams won't be paying big money.

TheManOfSteel
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Could not agree more with ya! :cooldude:

ShutDown24
03-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I would love to see Brown get extended. If they lock up Wallace and Brown the receiving staff will be set for the next four seasons if not longer.

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
I would love to see Brown get extended. If they lock up Wallace and Brown the receiving staff will be set for the next four seasons if not longer.

Additionally, I don't think there is a player on our team I'd rather see get a contract extension than Brown. I've been trying to think of one and can't.

TomBradyWearsUggsLOL
03-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Like a lot of other posters, I think Brown is the best overall receiver on the team. I get the whole "opening up the underneath routes" that comes from having Wallace, but I still prefer Brown. The ONLY thing Wallace has on him is that dazzling speed, and even then Brown is no slouch himself with 4.3 speed. Truthfully, how many of you trust Wallace more than Brown to make the critical catch?

With that said, I'm a huge Wallace fan. I'd love if somehow we kept both of them, just don't see it. Guess it depends on Antonio's production this year. We need to do the right thing and lock him up ASAP, though. Otherwise he'll command some hefty numbers also.

steelerchad
03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
The best receiver on the team might be Sanders. Missed time on the field may not have let him show it yet.
At least the Steelers thought so, as they took him in the 3rd round, 82nd pick overall. We took Brown in the 6th and Wallace the year before with the 84th pick.

Would love to keep all 3, but I think the Steelers feel there may not be much drop off if they lose Wallace.

Bayz101
03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
The best receiver on the team might be Sanders. Missed time on the field may not have let him show it yet.
At least the Steelers thought so, as they took him in the 3rd round, 82nd pick overall. We took Brown in the 6th and Wallace the year before with the 84th pick.

Would love to keep all 3, but I think the Steelers feel there may not be much drop off if they lose Wallace.

Could be, we just don't know, you know?

Steel Peon
03-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Failure to sign Brown, and allowing him to be taken, would seriously jeopardize my faith in the Steelers' front office.......if they know what's good for them, they'll lock him up ASAP.

ShutDown24
03-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Failure to sign Brown, and allowing him to be taken, would seriously jeopardize my faith in the Steelers' front office.......if they know what's good for them, they'll lock him up ASAP.

I really agree. That's why I hope the report is right and the team tries to get a deal done with him prior to the start of this season.

Kingmagyar
03-18-2012, 01:48 PM
People say no way a team gives up a #1 for Brown next year. But what if Brown gets like over 1200 yards, several returns for TDs and makes a pro bowl. He already is known nationally and is praised by many and the fact the FA WRs next year won't be anything like this year making Brown the best WR free agent out there. Who knows? Most free agent years the players available are only above average this year is a fluke.

ShutDown24
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
People say no way a team gives up a #1 for Brown next year. But what if Brown gets like over 1200 yards, several returns for TDs and makes a pro bowl. He already is known nationally and is praised by many and the fact the FA WRs next year won't be anything like this year making Brown the best WR free agent out there. Who knows? Most free agent years the players available are only above average this year is a fluke.

I'd say the chances of this happening are just as likely as they would have been with Wallace. Although I never thought we'd lose Wallace.