PDA

View Full Version : Morris Claiborne to the Steelers?

Cpitt78
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
We all know that Mike Tomlin started his coaching career in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Bucs and if he still has any connections there I am wondering if we could make a deal to trade down to the 5 spot.

Here is what I am thinking. If we lose Mike Wallace and end up with two first round picks, we could be in a position to package them both and move down to the 5 spot to get a shut down corner like Morris Claiborne from LSU.

Think about it guys. Ike isn't going to last forever and we had to reach up for Troy. Playmakers like this on defense are hard to come by.

Thoughts?

GO STEELERS! :tt04:

Buddha Bus
03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I think you mean trade UP to the 5 spot, but I wouldn't mind it if we lost Wallace and packaged the two 1st round picks for a stud player. That said, I'd rather just stand pat with the 2 picks considering the Steelers rarely get multiple 1st round picks and usually don't miss in that round.

I'd like to see us get a successor to Farrior at ILB AND a solid OG there to fill two areas of need. We probably couldn't really afford a high 1st round draft pick anyway since we're so tight against the cap. I lean "no" on this question.

Fire Arians
03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
:shootme:

OX1947
03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Bucs wouldnt do that. I would love it, but 2 late first rounds might not be enough to get the 5th pick. probably would need to give up a 2nd and change.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
If we did, then I would not want to draft a CB. Justin Blackmon, Riley Reiff, Jonathan Martin would be more what the Steelers need.

Still, I'd rather stick with the 2 draft picks and maybe take Hightower and Ta'amu (or Zeitler) at the bottom of the 1st.

Cpitt78
03-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Really? You wouldn't want a stud corner? I honestly think with the passing game becoming what it is we need to get another shut down option out there.

Cpitt78
03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I think you mean trade UP to the 5 spot, but I wouldn't mind it if we lost Wallace and packaged the two 1st round picks for a stud player. That said, I'd rather just stand pat with the 2 picks considering the Steelers rarely get multiple 1st round picks and usually don't miss in that round.

I'd like to see us get a successor to Farrior at ILB AND a solid OG there to fill two areas of need. We probably couldn't really afford a high 1st round draft pick anyway since we're so tight against the cap. I lean "no" on this question.

Yes. I meant trade up. :) I guess I am still burnt from losing Revis to the Jets. I still think that is who we really wanted.

Bayz101
03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Well, I like the idea of trading up to get #5, but I think it'd also cost us a second round pick on top of the two first's. As for what we'd pick, I probably wouldn't get a corner. We have lot's of young talent at corner, and it was our #1 asset on defense last year. It's time to get this rush-defense back to Steeler quality and pick a Farrior successor. That being said, keep both picks and get more talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Really? You wouldn't want a stud corner? I honestly think with the passing game becoming what it is we need to get another shut down option out there.

Lets see....we drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen last year, signed Ike Taylor long term last year and tendered Keenan Lewis who emerged last season. I think we are good at CB.

Ask the Browns how drafting "stud corner" Joe Hayden from Florida #7 overall is solving their problems.

Steelers need to get younger and better at NT, ILB, OG, OT. Why spend 2 ist round picks to upgrade position we have depth at??

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Bucs wouldnt do that. I would love it, but 2 late first rounds might not be enough to get the 5th pick. probably would need to give up a 2nd and change.:yep:

according to the draft pick value chart, the #5 pick is worth 1700. our 24, new englands 31 PLUS our second and 7th would equal 1700. after what washington got for their #2 the bucs wouldnt accept anything less than 1700.

with that being said, id rather pay 2 late 1st round picks than the #5 and use the wallace savings to try and sign eric winston to a long term deal.

Steel_Bus_24
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I never thought Id say this so soon, considering where we were last year at CB IMO

but I have to give the Steelers FO credit for sticking to their guns and getting/building a good unit last year

-Gay improved immensely and was allowed to thrive as a Nickle CB...he only ran into trouble when the coaches lined him up against burners

-Lewis, Brown, and Allen's youth and fresh legs finally let us man up an jam those Patriot Sons a B***es

-And Ike had one of his top seasons....though his Denver debacle overshadows it, but the massive injuries during that game obviously messed with every bodies heads/Chemistry...I think he'll be more deterimed then ever to whoop some ass this year

They made great strides despite our pass rush being extremely pedestrian(FFFing Injuries again) by Steeler standards

DT, ILB, OL should be our focus....and hopefully we keep wallace and don't have to worry about WR

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
If the man in charge of making that trade for the Bucs was completely out of his mind on every hallucinogenic that ever existed and God actually came down from heaven and told him to make that trade, he still wouldn't do it.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/CSP/CSP093/peacock-rainbow_~k0934381.jpg

And Washington just gave up a 2nd this year and their next two #1s plus probably Mike Shanahan's soul to trade up 4 spots.

The Steelers couldn't trade up 19 spots for an extra #1.

Cpitt78
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Lets see....we drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen last year, signed Ike Taylor long term last year and tendered Keenan Lewis who emerged last season. I think we are good at CB.

Ask the Browns how drafting "stud corner" Joe Hayden from Florida #7 overall is solving their problems.

Steelers need to get younger and better at NT, ILB, OG, OT. Why spend 2 ist round picks to upgrade position we have depth at??

Ok let me ask you this. If you knew that you could get Revis at 5 would you take him?

I get that we have serviceable corners -- and that is great, but I still think you need another lock down guy in addition to that. Teams are passing more and more these days and you cant just knock the QB out of the game the way you used to.

Also, please don't compare this franchise to the Browns. That is not even close. We have a stud QB, a blazing receiver corps, and a hall of fame safety with some amazing linebackers.

C

bac151rum
03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
When you draft a corner, you have to draft for scheme as well as talent. Clayborne is a great shutdown corner in college. May be one in the NFL. But the Steelers are primarily a zone D. Almost always and totally. Drafting a corner who is a great shut down corner, even one with the tackling ability of Clairborne, would be a waste of his talents, and probably not a good fit for the team.
All last offseason we got to listen to the "where will namdi go?" drama. Arguably one of the top two cover corners in the NFL. He goes to the Eagles, primarily a zone d. And bangzoom, never heard from again.

PhantomJB93
03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
1. We don't need Morris Claiborne
2. There are a multitude of other prospects I would want to take at #5 overall over Morris Claiborne. Namely Justin Blackmon as he would likely still be there, and the only scenario this would even happen involves the loss of Mike Wallace.
3. Morris Claiborne is overrated and a one year wonder. Not that he's not a good prospect but hardly the top 5 prospect he is projected as.
4. The Bucs would never do that

6RingsAndCounting
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
no thank you

Ricco Suavez
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
No guarantee that Claiborne is half the CB that Revis is. Remember how Revis held out just two years ago. If we drafted him what would our cap situation look like. I was wanting him in that draft and it burned me that the Jets took him, but looking back we could not afford him unless we dropped a lot of vets earlier than this past off season.

Ricco Suavez
03-13-2012, 05:45 PM
BTW I would not give up both 1st rounders for the chance that he pans out. Take two players that you feel confidence in helping in two areas of need, ILB, NT, OG, and then Safety or CB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok let me ask you this. If you knew that you could get Revis at 5 would you take him?

I get that we have serviceable corners -- and that is great, but I still think you need another lock down guy in addition to that. Teams are passing more and more these days and you cant just knock the QB out of the game the way you used to.

Also, please don't compare this franchise to the Browns. That is not even close. We have a stud QB, a blazing receiver corps, and a hall of fame safety with some amazing linebackers.

C

OK, let me ask you this......are we using hindsight or pretending that Claiborne is Revis??

Mel Kiper's 2007 NFL draft big board (Feb 24, 2007)

6. La Ron Landry LSU Safety
17. Reggie Nelson, Florida Safety
19. Leon Hall, CB Michigan

Kiper had Leon Hall the top ranked CB in the draft then. Revis wasnt even in his top 25. So if we traded away 2 picks to move up and get a stud CB like Hall, think how much better we would be?? :doh:

BKAnthem
03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
We need O LINE hep more than anything...ANYTHING

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Not happening in this life time, lol

Shreveport Steeler
03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
3. Morris Claiborne is overrated and a one year wonder. Not that he's not a good prospect but hardly the top 5 prospect he is projected as.

This might be the dumbest ****ing comment I've seen here. You clearly have not seen LSU play to say that he's a one year wonder.