PDA

View Full Version : Lions/Calvin Johnson help Steelers

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
via adam schefter twitter

Filed to ESPN: Lions reached agreement with WR Calvin Johnson on a seven-year, $132 million extension that includes $60 million guaranteed.

:doh:

remember week 8 of the 2011 season when the debate was who was the bigger threat between wallace and calvin?

:wave: bye wallace.

pete74
03-14-2012, 11:08 AM
it wasnt an actual debate, just one persons insane statement. Wallace will never be anywere close to as good as CJ. CJ is in a class of his own

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 11:13 AM
it wasnt an actual debate, just one persons insane statement. Wallace will never be anywere close to as good as CJ. CJ is in a class of his ownatually it was a national media debate. the discussion was thick and heavy for over a week, not only on all the national television broadcast shows, but all over sports talk radio, and da internetz.

it doesnt matter what class calvin and fitzgerald are in. it is a passing league and mike wallace is in the discussion. i'll let members here do the math and figure out what this does to the franchise value tag of a WR.

they have just become the 2nd most valuable position on the football field.

thats how this business works.

soulkitchen
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Time to ground and pound. Pay linemen and RBs, and let the receivers walk. When they zig we zag. :chuckle:

ETL
03-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Forgive my ignorance but how does it help the steelers. Does it make it harder for another team to try to sign Wallace to a long term deal and give up a first round pick? Or are u being sarcastic and pointing out that it will be harder to resign Wallace as the price is going up.

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Hard for me to see whether this helps or not

With the top having been blown off the market rate for prime WRs, maybe what candidates for Wallace had budgeted to buy him this year is no longer enough.
Other then the 49ers and Patriots not a lot of teams appear to be candidates to sign Wallace and give up a #1 pick,

If he is willing to risk injury, Wallace might turn down what he is offered in 2012, stick around and sell himself to the highest bidder in 2013:noidea:

As Tony says, other than QB and maybe a great pass rusher the WR position is now the top $$$ slot, meaning there is no way the Steelers will be able to afford to keep both Wallace and Brown

truesteelerfan
03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Forgive my ignorance but how does it help the steelers. Does it make it harder for another team to try to sign Wallace to a long term deal and give up a first round pick? Or are u being sarcastic and pointing out that it will be harder to resign Wallace as the price is going up.

I agree, how does this help us? The math says he will get an average of 18.5M per year...If I were Wallace, my asking price just went up.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Wallace is no MegaTron...No way he can even expect something like that, as no one is going to pay him that much(knock on wood)lol..

First off Brown will be in the same boat next year Wallace is. Brown just like any of team will want a larger contract. However if Brown is not returning kicks, his value dimishes to a point. Brown will NOT carry a team, he is a complmentary WR. Besides that the cap goes way up in 2014, and we will have more dead weight to rid our selves with next year and the following year. If our RB's are successful, those positions won't get all that much more salarize wise and the savings is still there.

As far as if Wallace thinks he deserves more now? Go a head ask for more. lol Teams are trying to minimize head cases and hopefully his head isnt growing by the minute. If they are, he will only get the tnder, not how stupid will that be leaving 5mill on the table because you may have an ego?

SH-Rock
03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
He can't ask for the same amount of money, but he's up there and also that most WRs are off the board.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Forgive my ignorance but how does it help the steelers.its sarcasm based on all the other threads of FA wr signing with other teams. depending on how you look at it it can hurt or help.

The only thing that really coulda possibly helped us was negotiating an extension for wallace midseason last year (something steelers refuse to do) for about 5yrs/35-40 mil.

regardless he ultimately will get market value and his arrow is pointing up.

Ricco Suavez
03-14-2012, 03:02 PM
I have pretty much accepted the fact that Wallace is gone. First he and his agent know what his value is, and with other teams signing Wideouts to huge salaries you can expect them to what the same kind of deals. Next unless the Front Office pulls a rabbit out of the hat we have no cap space to sign any player to a huge deal.

While we may be able to hold him this year, (teams not willing to pay a huge salary AND give up a first round pick), and even franchise him the next year and even the next year, I believe it will cause animosity between Wallace and the FO. This could turn into a DeSean Jackson type of season. I am sorry but I see no way out of a sticky situation. If the Steeler FO pulls off a long term deal then they will have earned the title of miracle workers.

StainlessStill
03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Am I the only one not fretting about losing Wallace? We've lost many other great receivers that did other things well that Wallace simply can't do right now. Wallace is all speed and that type of wideout only lasts so long. AB is the man to pay IMHO. That dude shows up everywhere, not just 80 yards on the deep ball but is squeaky and silky as ever with YAC.

Keeping Wallace would be awesome for another season, but with these priced JACKED UP for WR's, no way they are worth more than any other position of need on the team. I think Brown and Wallace helps our case in finding another speedy WR in the draft in round 3 or 4 again. Sleeper WR's are out there. And to say Wallace is better than Megatron is a laugh. Megatron eats defense's as a hobby and is a physical and athletic mis-match. Match Wallace's speed, he's average.

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Let other teams ruin their teams by paying these exorbitant salaries to WRs. The salary cap pretty much ensures that teams like Tampa Bay and Detroit cannot afford quality players at the other positions needed to function as a "TEAM". Wallace will only stay here this year if no other teams are out there willing to mortgage their future on one player. But paying a speed player huge dollars that real WRs like Johnson and Jackson make is just plain stupid. Wallace is useless in the red zone because of his smallish size. Johnson and Jackson are absolute beasts. Wallace does not belong in the same conversation with those kind of players.