PDA

View Full Version : Which Practice squad or recently signed

RuHappy69
03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Players have a legitimate shot to contribute/surprise next year? It's a good exercise in the off season.

BengalDestroyer
03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
chris scott, tyler grisham

Fire Arians
03-14-2012, 03:56 PM
chad spann (with mendenhall injured and moore in his twilight years, he has a chance to make the roster as a change of pace or 3rd down back)
troy smith (has a legitimate shot to win the #2 qb)
da'mon smith-cromartie (always seems to do well in the preseason, the team is looking for safety depth)

6RingsAndCounting
03-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Myron Rolle! At least I hope so.

ShutDown24
03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Walter McFadden is a guy who can really play - although it' an awkward situation considering the team just cut his brother haha.

Rolle could make the team. It seems as if the coaches like him at cornerback - http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/2012/03/10/steelers-see-myron-rolle-at-cornerback-22/

Cromartie-Smith has always been a favorite of mine.

Fire Arians
03-15-2012, 12:54 AM
Walter McFadden is a guy who can really play - although it' an awkward situation considering the team just cut his brother haha.

Rolle could make the team. It seems as if the coaches like him at cornerback - http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/2012/03/10/steelers-see-myron-rolle-at-cornerback-22/

Cromartie-Smith has always been a favorite of mine.

rolle fell off draft boards because of slow 40 times in the combine, but according to his website, has been training with speed coaches during his break from football and as improved it to the low 4.4 range.

though, i don't know if he can beat out cortez allen / curtis brown, he has a big challenge ahead because those 2 kids show a lot of promise

on another note, I've read somewhere that athletes that score really high on the wonderlic tests don't pan out in the nfl? something about players that are 'more intelligent' than their coaches, and know it, are less likely to listen to what they are trying to teach them

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 01:04 AM
i think its gonna be baron batch. were he healthy last season, he woulda been given a legitimate shot to play and even surpass redman on the depth chart (clay and spann were on our playoff roster).

if nothing else, he will take mewelde moore's job this year.

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:06 AM
chris scott, tyler grisham

Grisham isn't on our practice squad.

ShutDown24
03-15-2012, 04:05 AM
rolle fell off draft boards because of slow 40 times in the combine, but according to his website, has been training with speed coaches during his break from football and as improved it to the low 4.4 range.

though, i don't know if he can beat out cortez allen / curtis brown, he has a big challenge ahead because those 2 kids show a lot of promise

on another note, I've read somewhere that athletes that score really high on the wonderlic tests don't pan out in the nfl? something about players that are 'more intelligent' than their coaches, and know it, are less likely to listen to what they are trying to teach them

I don't think Rolle has a shot in hell to beat out Allen or Brown - but looking at the depth chart at corner right now it looks like

1. Ike Taylor
2. Keenan Lewis
3. Cortez Allen (Or Brown)
4. Curtis Brown (Or Allen)
5. Walter McFadden/Antonio Smith/Myron Rolle
6. Rookie/McFadden/Smith/Rolle

So really, there are two spots available; assuming the team selects a corner in the mid to late rounds of the draft and does not sign a free agent at the position.

So there is opportunity. And Rolle was a fantastic athlete at FSU. The year he entered the draft there seemed to be this idea that he was only getting by on intelligence alone which is bull.

I really don't see him making the team, but if he comes in and impresses it's not like there isn't room on the roster. He definitely has a shot.

RuHappy69
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Chris Scott is an interesting guy. He was a top prospect coming out of HS (4 or 5 star Rivals) and he has the versatility that the Steelers like. If I recall he also did pretty well at the Tennessee pro day..

Black N' Yellow
03-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't think Rolle has a shot in hell to beat out Allen or Brown - but looking at the depth chart at corner right now it looks like

1. Ike Taylor
2. Keenan Lewis
3. Cortez Allen (Or Brown)
4. Curtis Brown (Or Allen)
5. Walter McFadden/Antonio Smith/Myron Rolle
6. Rookie/McFadden/Smith/Rolle

So really, there are two spots available; assuming the team selects a corner in the mid to late rounds of the draft and does not sign a free agent at the position.

So there is opportunity. And Rolle was a fantastic athlete at FSU. The year he entered the draft there seemed to be this idea that he was only getting by on intelligence alone which is bull.

I really don't see him making the team, but if he comes in and impresses it's not like there isn't room on the roster. He definitely has a shot.

I wouldn't count Gay out for next year, so all these guys could be fighting for one roster spot and maybe one practice squad spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Chris Scott is an interesting guy. He was a top prospect coming out of HS (4 or 5 star Rivals) and he has the versatility that the Steelers like. If I recall he also did pretty well at the Tennessee pro day..

Chris scott was a guy that was touted as maybe an NFL LT, but at the Senior Bowl he showed that he doesnt have light feet to play LT, but is a nasty mauler in the run game. I always thought he would be our future RT or an OG.

The other guy I like is Al Woods at DE. I watched Bama vs LSU his senior year and broke the game down, but looking at guys like Ricky Jean Francois and Tyson Jackson, but Al Woods stood out in that game. I think he is a solid reserve and will be a depth guy here long term.

Kingmagyar
03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Myron Rolle S/CB - I think he can make the team as a backup and contribute on Special Teams. CB though?

A few guys I'm looking forward to seeing this camp and pre-season
Chad Spann RB
Trevis Turner OT
Chris Scott OL
Walter McFadden CB
Jerrod Johnson QB
John Malecki G
Kade Weston DL

and
Baron Batch RB -rooting for him big time. Great kid. will the knee hurt him going forward?

Fire Arians
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
^ trevis turner should be interesting as well