PDA

View Full Version : Has every team signed a free agent except us

ETL
03-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Have we ever had a year where we didn't sign a free agent (not counting our own) and has any of our free agents signed with another team?

Pittsburgh is completely dead right now when it comes to free agency. it seems that the world is spinning around us wildly and we are as still as can be.

(not complaining mind you, just observing - you can't criticize how the steelers do things and their perennial success)

Fire Arians
03-14-2012, 07:14 PM
i think we just hope we can sign our own free agents

StainlessStill
03-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Teams can keep their football-high in March by giving out ridiculous contracts (Garcon is making close to Vincent Jackson money-LOL.) I'll take my football-high on Steelers Sunday's.:tt04:

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Teams can keep their football-high in March by giving out ridiculous contracts (Garcon is making close to Vincent Jackson money-LOL.)

Yep - as usual the Redskins are the leaders in the clubhouse when it comes to crazy

The More I Get, The More I Want

With their draft picks tied up in the RG3 trade and their spending money repossessed by the NFL, you would have forgiven the Redskins for taking a rare opening day of free agency off. And then they would have said, "Thanks for forgiving us! Now, please get out of our way so we can get back to spending money we may or may not have. There are second-tier free agents just roaming around out there! For free! Without contracts!":chuckle:

And so the Redskins found it in their hearts to give Pierre Garcon a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $21.5 million in guaranteed money. This is the same Pierre Garcon who has caught just over 53 percent of the passes thrown to him over the past three seasons despite having Peyton Manning at quarterback for two of those three years. The other Colts wide receivers caught just under 64 percent of the passes thrown to them over that time frame. And while a low catch rate is fine if you're a deep threat or a demon after the catch, Garcon's averaged 13.6 yards per catch over that span, which is almost exactly league average. Jabar Gaffney has averaged more yards per catch over the past three years than Pierre Garcon. Is he a downfield threat?

Garcon fits one of the archetypes we identified last year when we described the free agents you meet in hell, a second or third wideout from an effective passing offense. These sorts of players look good against single coverage with great quarterbacks around them, but when you move them into the no. 1 slot on a team with an inferior quarterback, they fail to meet expectations.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/20250/free-agency-day-1-the-insightful-and-the-incoherent

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 07:22 PM
last season we signed or extended ike, polamalu, woodley, and timmons. (some who otherwise woulda been free agents this week)

what more do fans want? :noidea: (besides jehrico crotchsniffer)

TRH
03-14-2012, 09:20 PM
it seems like the entire Pittsburgh organization is dead right now....internally and externally. I don't even hear crickets.

tugnut1
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I've learned in the last 10 years of so, the guys running the Steelers are a lot smarter than I am. They know how to develop talent and for the most part, they don't overpay for players and hunches.

Okay, they missed on Limas Sweed (draft, not free agent), but other than that, they have been pretty spot on.

I'm just a little worried about them getting old and the offensive line. I really hope they address the offensive line.

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2012, 10:00 PM
This certainly does not surprise me. They will wait until everyone is over the feeding frenzy and pick up one or two players on the cheap who have no team to go to. It doesn't bother me in the least that they have done nothing so far.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 10:05 PM
it seems like the entire Pittsburgh organization is dead right now....internally and externally. I don't even hear crickets.how bout all the college player pro days tomlin and colbert have been attending? :tap:

Bayz101
03-14-2012, 10:14 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers make talent, not but it. They only pay to keep the talent on the team. That's one thing I've learned being a fan.

QCbeauBlak
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
If I were an owner, I probably wouldn't run my front office like our beloved Steelers do. Then again I am not a team owner, or an owner of anything but a house and car. But what's going on really isn't atypical of teams maneuverings in the past. The money is just getting bigger and bigger, that's all. Last year we signed our guys for big money. Sometimes not needing to sign a bunch of FA means we have more value here already. Though the signing of say, one big time OLine FA would excite the nation, what message would that send to Mike Wallace. I think he has this team by the balls right now especially because all these overrated receivers are getting huge paydays. I am not even mad at Mike though. But also, look at the teams that sign all these great FA. They all suck!! lol so who cares?

Again, if it were me, I'd be alllllll over these FA but like tony hipchest said, seeing Mike and Colbert on tv attending pro-days is exciting enough to me. Seeing that makes me optimistic that they really want to make good on draft day!

ETL
03-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't think the ravens have signed anyone either...right?

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 01:09 AM
I don't think the ravens have signed anyone either...right?

theyre moving and shaking.... bringing in eric winston which would be an absolute coup for them. looking at guard and probably bringing in cedric benson for a look-see as well.

Pentheon
03-15-2012, 11:12 AM
its nothing new honestly, we do this every year and were still the most successful team in the NFL.

Bayz said it best, we make talent not buy it

OX1947
03-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Steelers haven't signed a front line, max free agent, ever.

pete74
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
we dont have money to sign an outside free agent

Kingmagyar
03-16-2012, 06:57 AM
The Steelers have about .50 cents and a cup of coffee to lure a free agent here this year, but with a huge cap coming in the future and a turnover on the team to younger players, who knows maybe there will be a year someday where we are 20-30 million under the cap. We probably will be a very mediocre team if we don't have the talent to fill that money, but we will be able to sign some free agents.

MDSteel15
03-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Steelers haven't signed a front line, max free agent, ever.

Hmmm, really??? I'd consider James Farrior (2002) as one... Maybe not at the time! But he sure turned into one... James Harrison (2004) also turned into a coup as well as Jeff Hartings (2001)! Maybe they weren't SEXY FAs but boy they look like steals to me!!!

LayingTheWoodley56
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Like was said above me, our front office seems to have a pretty decent idea what their doing. Look at our past two teams, which won a total of 26 football games and an AFC championship - how many of those guys were free agent signings, and how many would be considered "marquee" acquisitions at the time? The answer to the second question is none. We picked up Clark (who turned out to be a great signing), Farrior (10 years ago, so I consider him a Steeler lifer), and Cotchery at a very cheap price. That's about it.

Ricco Suavez
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Seems we signed a couple of FA running backs a few years back, one name of Bettis he turned out all right, the other not so much guy name of Duce Staley. We do better with lower price signings on the whole if you ask me.

As far as Wallace having us by the balls, yes until this signing period ends he has the upper hand. But once over we have him by the short hairs my friend. And even if he signs for another team we get a first round pick and the chance to shore up other needs and possibly strike gold with later round WR pick. All is not lost, do not give up hope.

OX1947
03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, really??? I'd consider James Farrior (2002) as one... Maybe not at the time! But he sure turned into one... James Harrison (2004) also turned into a coup as well as Jeff Hartings (2001)! Maybe they weren't SEXY FAs but boy they look like steals to me!!!

You just confirmed what I said but wrote it differently.

vindrow
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Seems we signed a couple of FA running backs a few years back, one name of Bettis he turned out all right, the other not so much guy name of Duce Staley. We do better with lower price signings on the whole if you ask me.

As far as Wallace having us by the balls, yes until this signing period ends he has the upper hand. But once over we have him by the short hairs my friend. And even if he signs for another team we get a first round pick and the chance to shore up other needs and possibly strike gold with later round WR pick. All is not lost, do not give up hope.

Um...Bettis wasn't a FA we traded for him with the Rams. We got him and a 3rd round pick and gave up a 2nd round pick in 1996 and a 4th round pick in 1997.

Steel Boss
03-16-2012, 03:04 PM
It's flawed logic to say, "historically the Steelers have had great success without bringing in outside free agents, therefore it's never a good idea to bring in outside free agents."

I for one, would love to see them take a flyer one of these veteran guards or tackles that are being released around the league. I still see pass protection as a serious weakness that was probably the single biggest factor in their downfall last year.

Remember Flozell Adams? They only brought him in reluctantly after a major injury crisis, and he turned out to be an EXCELLENT addition.

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2012, 03:42 PM
i would like to see them take a look at sammie lee hill. he's a RFA , but it looks like detroit isn't going to tender him because of an over abundance of DT.... 6-4...330 lbs... could be a nice rotational guy like hoke. he could probably play DE or NT. probably wouldn't cost too much...:noidea: