PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton restructures contract

Ricco Suavez
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Reports that this has happened and saved Steelers 3.09 million in cap space. Good news. Or maybe not?

Millers the sh!t
03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I was hoping they saved 8 million instead of 3

tunes4life
03-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Not - I was hoping he would get cut. He looked lazy out there last year. Coaches must think he has some left in the tank. Oh well.

Busforever
03-15-2012, 12:40 PM
He accepted a paycut. That's what you can call sacrifice, team first mentality. Call it as you want, but this is the only player so far who really gave something to the team. Most restructurations mean the player takes ALL the money now, in signing bonus. Hampton just gave 3 millions. He REALLY wants to make the team in 2012.

pete74
03-15-2012, 12:43 PM
i cant belive how many people want to cut Hampton. he is all we have. Mcledon is not a space eater and teams will run right thru him. i wanted to draft a NT last 2 years to prep them and almost everyone here told me it was a wast because we had Hampton.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Couldn't cut him as he is hurt at this point. The savings we yielded is slightlylower than if we cut his fat ass. So as long as he can contribute while a new NT is drafted and groomed for a year, its probably a good thing. But we dont want him lurking around hurt like smith did for 2 years and kill our cap space

TRH
03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't think he had a choice, did he?
He doesn't restructure....we cut him. I think it was as simple as that.

kan_t
03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
He accepted a paycut. That's what you can call sacrifice, team first mentality. Call it as you want, but this is the only player so far who really gave something to the team. Most restructurations mean the player takes ALL the money now, in signing bonus. Hampton just gave 3 millions. He REALLY wants to make the team in 2012.

The Steelers probably told him that he would get cut if he doesn't accept a pay cut.

truesteelerfan
03-15-2012, 03:20 PM
He needed to do this IMO in order to have a chance to stay on our team...or any team for that matter. If we cut him, unlikely he'd be picked up with his knee in the shape it is.

steeltheone
03-15-2012, 03:39 PM
i cant belive how many people want to cut Hampton. he is all we have. Mcledon is not a space eater and teams will run right thru him. i wanted to draft a NT last 2 years to prep them and almost everyone here told me it was a wast because we had Hampton.

There was no drop in play at all last year when McClendon was in....

tanda10506
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Agreed, I dont know why people keep saying McClendon isn't this or that, he didn't play much and when he did he played well.

kan_t
03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Agreed, I dont know why people keep saying McClendon isn't this or that, he didn't play much and when he did he played well.

He's solid. But the problem of cutting Hampton is that the Steelers have no backup then. It hurts their flexibility in the draft.

Busforever
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
The Steelers probably told him that he would get cut if he doesn't accept a pay cut.

Sure, but I don't think he was affraid being without team in 2012. A large body like Hampton can attract some teams in FA, even knowing he's recovering from an ACL, even if he's 35. He took the paycut because he wants to be a Steeler.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2012, 05:32 PM

You are absolutely correct. The guy is still the best option we have and he would still have his pro-rated portion of his signing bonus to count against the cap this year. Nothing is gained from releasing him, other than having a DE play NT if nobody is drafted.

And.......most of the clowns that want to cut him, also have us taking a WR in the 1st round of their mocks because they think Hood or McClendon can play NT next season. :doh:

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-15-2012, 06:45 PM

That is because he mostly only plays on passing downs (3rd & 4th). He isn't out there on the field when we expect the other team to run the ball.

Not sure how you guys would feel comfortable leaving potentially the most crucial position on our defense to a guy who:

* is listed as 290 lbs-- that is very light for a DT in a 3-4 defense.
* has only played spot duty to relieve Big Snack

McClendon has looke descent, but do you feel comfortable leaving the NT position entirely up to him this year?

DT needs to be our #1 priority in the draft. Whomever they draft will need a year behind Big Snack and McClendon before he is ready for full time.

pete74
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
That is because he mostly only plays on passing downs (3rd & 4th). He isn't out there on the field when we expect the other team to run the ball.

Not sure how you guys would feel comfortable leaving potentially the most crucial position on our defense to a guy who:

* is listed as 290 lbs-- that is very light for a DT in a 3-4 defense.
* has only played spot duty to relieve Big Snack

McClendon has looke descent, but do you feel comfortable leaving the NT position entirely up to him this year?

DT needs to be our #1 priority in the draft. Whomever they draft will need a year behind Big Snack and McClendon before he is ready for full time.

Thank you. I dont understand how they can sat Mclendon is as good as Hampton. Must be dreaming. Mclendon is a back up period. If we had to start him all season teams will run right thru him

steeltheone
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Times Change...Hampton is coming off an average year...below average verses his pay

It will get no better a year older after an injury.....Spend the money elsewhere

pete74
03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Times Change...Hampton is coming off an average year...below average verses his pay

It will get no better a year older after an injury.....Spend the money elsewhere

defina a down year? i agree he is past his prime and i wish we could get a top NT in the draft but Hampton is the only starting caliber NT we have. teams didnt run all over us like they did others though so i think Hampton still has some gas in the tank. plus he is alot better then McClendon

VTsteel
03-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Thank you. I dont understand how they can sat Mclendon is as good as Hampton. Must be dreaming. Mclendon is a back up period. If we had to start him all season teams will run right thru him

Agreed.

And besides if Snack does rehab the knee well . . . he is still a huge body that is hard to move. And that is the NT's primary job.

Sink your ass and don't let the double team move you. Snack can still do that.

I am glad he's back. Definitely need to draft another - lard ass - - - er I mean -anchor for the D . . . however, I think one can be gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

To me, this deal means we're most likely to go O-line 1st.

steeltheone
03-15-2012, 07:53 PM
defina a down year? i agree he is past his prime and i wish we could get a top NT in the draft but Hampton is the only starting caliber NT we have. teams didnt run all over us like they did others though so i think Hampton still has some gas in the tank. plus he is alot better then McClendon

He better be ...Mclendon makes close league Min.

If Hampton was not injured i'd be all for brining him back...I'm afraid it's another A. Smith deal witing to happen. All pay, no play!

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Well what Hampton gave up wasnt much difference than cutting him. So to roll the dice isn't as bad as carrying Smith for 2 years and aying him 10million when we couldve used that money elsewhere to secure players long term.

60_MINUTES
03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Sure, but I don't think he was affraid being without team in 2012. A large body like Hampton can attract some teams in FA, even knowing he's recovering from an ACL, even if he's 35. He took the paycut because he wants to be a Steeler.

your right and everyone else is right... I think its 50 50... Hampton wants to be a steeler cause its is best option in every since of the word.. Family.. business etc... the steelers Im 100 percent sure also let him know in a nice way if he dont take the pay cut they cant keep him...

bottom line its a player that seems to have some brains... we have paid him well over the years... now he is 35.. coming off a very average year and now a ACL that lets face it will make him a back up at best this year. so he did the right thing and gave back to stay a steeler...

I will say this though... I dont think anyone would have give him a shot at nothing more then the vet min... no way in hell another team brings him in at 35 and ACL injury that wont be ready to go til prob oct if at all)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2012, 08:19 PM

McClendon is a younger and more athletic version of Hoke. A guy that can fill in at NT and also play DE in the 3-4.

If the Steelers want a 2 gap NT, Hampton is the only one on the roster and otherwise I am hoping Ta'amu somehow gets drafted by us.

BKAnthem
03-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Agreed.

And besides if Snack does rehab the knee well . . . he is still a huge body that is hard to move. And that is the NT's primary job.

I am glad he's back. Definitely need to draft another - lard ass - - - er I mean -anchor for the D . . . however, I think one can be gotten in the 3rd or 4th round.

Exactly...If snack comes back healthy whoever gets drafted isn't going to be starting so might as well take one to groom for a year in the 3-4 round and let him possibly start next year...the O Line DOESN'T HAVE THAT LUXURY

60_MINUTES
03-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Agreed.

look dont take this the wrong way...and also I love the big boy to... Im fine with him coming back with a pay cut as a back up... but I got to tell you man... Im not sure what games you were watching last year but he was healthy last year.. NO ACL tear and the days of him chewing up double teams are gone... Me and my best bud would watch the games back just for fun and count how many times he was double teamed and it was only 2 or 3 a game.. Yes I know that sounds crazy but its true... and even worse he usually got blocked and drove off ball about 2 to 3 yards 50 percent of the time from the single team... I know you wont believe this but all I can say is go back and watch some of the games if you keep them recorded and just watch Hampon every play... it will blow your mind to see how much he has fallen off and thats without a Tore ACL...

Look I still got respect for him and yes one out of every 10 plays or so he will blow the center 5 yards back which is cool to see... he is also a team leader but bottom line if Hampton is anything more then a back up that gives us a few snaps here and there then I would be shocked... and if he does play full time we will get killed on the point of attack...

Dont rip me for it..go back and watch the tape and youll see it for yourself...

Bayz101
03-16-2012, 02:20 AM
I know you wont believe this but all I can say is go back and watch some of the games if you keep them recorded and just watch Hampon every play... it

:chuckle:

steeltheone
03-16-2012, 05:49 AM
look dont take this the wrong way...and also I love the big boy to... Im fine with him coming back with a pay cut as a back up... but I got to tell you man... Im not sure what games you were watching last year but he was healthy last year.. NO ACL tear and the days of him chewing up double teams are gone... Me and my best bud would watch the games back just for fun and count how many times he was double teamed and it was only 2 or 3 a game.. Yes I know that sounds crazy but its true... and even worse he usually got blocked and drove off ball about 2 to 3 yards 50 percent of the time from the single team... I know you wont believe this but all I can say is go back and watch some of the games if you keep them recorded and just watch Hampon every play... it will blow your mind to see how much he has fallen off and thats without a Tore ACL...

Look I still got respect for him and yes one out of every 10 plays or so he will blow the center 5 yards back which is cool to see... he is also a team leader but bottom line if Hampton is anything more then a back up that gives us a few snaps here and there then I would be shocked... and if he does play full time we will get killed on the point of attack...

Dont rip me for it..go back and watch the tape and youll see it for yourself... Exactly! It is what it is....

pete74
03-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Dont rip me for it..go back and watch the tape and youll see it for yourself...

what were you watching? i record every game and just watched 2 to see if you were right and were not. i made it thru 2 games before i realized there was no point. I counted more then 2 or 3 and that was before halftime plus i couldnt see him on every play. as for McClendon, how many times was he doubled? like i said, Hampton is passed his prime but anyone who feels McClendon is the next great NT for the steelers is just insane. he weighs less then our ends and is less athletic then our last 2 NT's. we need a space eater to stop the run or at least someone who can push the pocket

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2012, 11:04 AM
what were you watching? i record every game and just watched 2 to see if you were right and were not. i made it thru 2 games before i realized there was no point. I counted more then 2 or 3 and that was before halftime plus i couldnt see him on every play. as for McClendon, how many times was he doubled? like i said, Hampton is passed his prime but anyone who feels McClendon is the next great NT for the steelers is just insane. he weighs less then our ends and is less athletic then our last 2 NT's. we need a space eater to stop the run or at least someone who can push the pocket

I think McClendon is more athletic than Hoke or Hampton, but not the prototype Zero technique. Good reserve, but not a guy you want starting 16 games at NT unless you want other teams to be able to block your ILB's consistently.

60_MINUTES
03-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Well Im not sure what games you watched but most all the games I rewatch has him getting double teamed.. not more then a hand full of times every game...

you just said you watched two games til half time and he was doubled 2 to 3 times by half... do you think that is good??? most great NT should chew up a double team every play.. just like Hampton use to... and no Im not saying McClendon is the answer either Im just pointing out that Hampton has fell off pretty bad and for GOD sakes he is coming off ACL injury in Jan... come on guys how in the world do you think our overweight NT who is 35 36 years old will be any help at all this year

by the way Im not counting double teams on Passing plays.. just the running plays...

anyway the games I watch he is handled 75 percent of the time by a single team and is blocked well... Agaiin a 3 4 NT like Hampton was in his prime commands a double team every time