PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tolbert expected to land with Steelers or Panthers

tony hipchest
03-17-2012, 01:24 AM
...according to SD beat writer-

UTKevinAcee‏@UTKevinAceeReply

Mike Tolbert expected to land in Pittsburgh or Carolina ... I'm told this isn't like Malcom Floyd, who returned last yr after deal was dead.

UTKevinAcee‏@UTKevinAceeReply

I think Pittsburgh is the leader for Tolbert, but how perfect would Carolina be? He'd join Turner, Brees, Sproles, Jackson in NFC South.

ETL
03-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Finally our team's name is mentioned in free agency

tony hipchest
03-17-2012, 01:47 AM
*boner*

PhantomJB93
03-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Wow. Really wasn't expecting that but I'd LOVE it. Wallace should be first priority but if we can sign both I would be ecstatic.

I said this in another thread a few weeks ago, but I watched several games of Mike Tolbert and kept thinking to myself "this guy is the next Jerome Bettis." Just runs hard as hell, harder than Redman even.

tony hipchest
03-17-2012, 02:33 AM
im expecting him to sign with carolina, but its nice to wish for a little something more than a old lump of coal in the free agency stocking.

a new lump of coal would be nice. :smile:

Steel_Bus_24
03-17-2012, 02:45 AM
As much as I like Tolbert, how the hell can the Steelers sign him when we are up against the cap wall

plus IMO we already have a good stable of backs considering our Offensive Philosophy

I smell another FA Plex situation where the Steelers are just a tool to get Tobert a better deal

wyn50
03-17-2012, 03:50 AM
hopefully he wants to win now. he has a better chance of that in pitt. if he wants to get paid and not care about winning, he can go to carolina.

Bayz101
03-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Oh hell, I like the sound of this!

QCbeauBlak
03-17-2012, 06:23 AM
I don't see Carolina picking him up. They have a healthy two-headed monster in DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart (DWill was signed to a big contract last offseason) The Panthers also have a young stud in Mike Goodson in case Stewart wants out of Carolina after next season..

This news is unexpected and very exciting! I've always liked Tolbert's play as he's been on my fantasy teams a couple of times. Dude is a mirror image of Jerome Bettis physically, but is surprisingly athletic and fast, not just quick like Bettis

QCbeauBlak
03-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Wonder if the Colts would be interested in the services of Mendenhall? Arians is constantly on his jock. Tomlin has been critical of him before but I don't know where he stands in the organization. He has been a favorite of mine despite his "dancing" too much in holes and that offseason twitter mess. Idk, you know how it goes with running backs here; other than Bettis, who have we been committed to long term? no one. Are we still finding that guy or are they confident that Rashard is that guy. Either way, with the couple of injuries Rashard has had over his career, an insurance plan wouldn't hurt if we could afford it. Also, since the Colts let go of Addai, they may be in the RB market.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Why would he go to Carolina with what they have in the backfield already? I dont see that happening.

Now I like Tolbert coming to us. I think that could be a great little signing. Still need to teach our Oline how to block though. Steelers will gethim for a larger cash payout upfront, speard over 3 years. 3-4 for 7-8mill will get it done plus some bonuses.

We can afford him because its a pass first league now. RB's are bought with coupons now, plus the list of RB's is huge that are available. I actually like Smith from the Lions, although he had the injury big last year. Not sure how many times its going to have to be said but the league has evolved. Steelers FO will try to push back, they can try all they want but we are a pass ahppy team now.

tolbert is not an insurance policy for Mendy. He will probably be cut soon as the injury evolves out. As just like Hampton couldn't be cut, nor can Mendy, but the writing is on the wall for him.

Addai needs an oline, we cant pass protect let alone block for Addai, he is a candy ass and was spoiled int he hay days of the colts and manning. That dog cant hunt no more.

StainlessStill
03-17-2012, 10:32 AM
*boner*

*erection

Steelersfan87
03-17-2012, 10:42 AM
The only way that I think this is a good idea is if it doesn't prevent us from retaining Wallace, Cotchery, Gay, and either Leftwich or Batch. The Steelers have more than enough bodies in the backfield with Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch, and Spann.

buzzkill
03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Tolbert=touchdowns

StainlessStill
03-17-2012, 10:54 AM
The only way that I think this is a good idea is if it doesn't prevent us from retaining Wallace, Cotchery, Gay, and either Leftwich or Batch. The Steelers have more than enough bodies in the backfield with Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch, and Spann.

With the addition of Redman and Drwyer, noone on our current roster runs more vicious or downhill as Mike Tolbert. This dude would be a wrecking ball for us and would bolster a struggling offensive line in the trench's. Redman is a little lighter but with Tolbert, this could be our very own 1/2 punch of Williams & Stewart.

pittpete
03-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Im not sold on Dwyer, and Gays not coming back.
Time for the young guys Lewis,Allen and Brown.
Tolberts not a bad receiver either
If we want Tolbert, I bet we find a way:thumbsup:
Redman Height: 6-0 Weight: 230 Age: 27
Tolbert Height: 5-9 Weight: 243 Age: 26

ETL
03-17-2012, 11:22 AM
its only for the veteran minimum, right?

Steelerindc
03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
I like the thought of Tolbert as Steeler but it seems unrealistic. I'm thinking we don't even know what kind of offensive philosophy they will have going into next year, plus he won't come cheap and we still have to think about signing A. Brown next year and other cap issues.

Not mention we have some backs that could be worked in the rotation. I would like to see what Baron Batch brings to the table as well as Clay and Dwyer.

tanda10506
03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
First off, I don't know what more Redman has to do to show he is a quality starter. Aside from that we have Mendy, Redman, Dwyer, Clay (i think he has big potential), Baron Batch, and MM. Even if we let MM go that still leaves us with 5 RB's on a team that doesn't run that much. Im confident Redman and Clay can get it in the endzone. It's not that I am against Tolbert, and I know Mendy will miss quite a bit of the season, but if we let MM go and signed Tolbert that's 6 RB's on the roster. Can we afford that? If we can, is it worth it? IMO, if the stars align, we will get a starting quality guard in the draft, get rid of David "cant block can't catch" Johnson, train Clay to play FB, and get Tolbert, but much of that is far fetched. You can dream right lol? But in reality 6 RB's seems a bit much to me.

Steelersfan87
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Gerry Dulac: No visit. Not happening.

What a surprise. The Steelers have more items to accomplish before they have the luxury to worry about a position in which they already have 5 or 6 warm bodies. Like wide receiver, where they currently have two.

Steelerfreak58
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Redman and Tolbert with Dwyer would wear teams out.

MasterOfPuppets
03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Gerry Dulac: No visit. Not happening.

What a surprise. The Steelers have more items to accomplish before they have the luxury to worry about a position in which they already have 5 or 6 warm bodies. Like wide receiver, where they currently have two.
looks like everyone is going to look right past Dulac's words of wisdom and continue to stroke their tolbert induced woodies for nothing....

Gerry Dulac:" No visit. Not happening ".

Mike Tolbert Watch Turned into a Mike Tolbert Warning

Anyone who jumped immediately at the thought of Chargers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/san-diego-chargers) RB Mike Tolbert (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34965/mike-tolbert) signing with Pittsburgh in free agency must feel kind of foolish today......
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/17/2880597/mike-tolbert-watch-turned-into-a-mike-tolbert-warning

kan_t
03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Mike Tolbert has signed with the Panthers.

But it also means that Jonathan Stewart is likely to get moved. The Steelers should try to trade a late round pick for him. He would be a high upside pickup.

StainlessStill
03-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Lets close the book on FA, fella's. We may bring in a 2nd-3rd tier lineman or T.E at the tail-end, but lets just seal the coffin on Free Agent talk. Not happenin' in Pittsburgh. Move along.

Fire Arians
03-19-2012, 12:34 PM
we got redman

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 12:35 PM
We don't need more running backs. We needed a new offensive coordinator, and we got that. Work on defense and offensive lines and maybe a young inside linebacker, and we're set.

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 12:37 PM
we got redman

And he's a bull, just like M.T. We're set on offense, we just need some quality lineman.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Signed 4 year deal with the Panther.

So this discussion goes away, lol