PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mike Wallace Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:38 AM
I guess the fact that only a portion of said agreed upon money is guaranteed means a lot.

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Before you know it kickers and punters will be making 12 million a year and receivers will be raking in 20. I don't believe ANYONE is worth 50 million over 5 years unless it's someone a squad is built around, that being the QB. The Steelers need to take action and get themselves out of future Cap hell if this is what the NFL will be like.

are you suggesting the league just set the salary cap at $80 mil, give the owners the remaining value of television contract money, and expecting them and their children to go out and catch the ball and make tackles?

if nothing else, it would be a pretty shitty product that would deliver market value right in line to what you (and many others) believe it should be.

football players only make so much money because that is exactly what fans demand.

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Umm, sure. Honestly, i'm going to bed. I haven't slept in three days, I don't trust my own logic now, and I haven't since the first night without sleep. I suggest the salary cap be set at 50 million and all players make 350 dollars a game :chuckle:

This is why i'm going to bed.

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:50 AM
And don't think you won this argument you ****er, i'm in no shape to debate and you took advantage of me :mad:

It doesn't help I've drank a six pack of yuengling tonight :hunch:

I'll smoke you tomorrow, or attempt to cover my tracks, although I doubt i'll be able to agree with receivers making 10-12 million a year. We'll see, i'll have time to analyze more tomorrow, right now i'm just beat.

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I know it, I understand it and I expect it. But I don't like it. That's something you can't persuade me to do. If Wallace was 6'3 and stocky with that speed (unlikely) i'd give him 60 million over 5 years and a one night stay at the playboy mansion. THAT is worth a shit ton of money. Imagine Calvin Johnson with that kind of speed? He'd make more than the QB!

Maybe i'm just a tired, worn out hypocritical asshole :chuckle:what is funny is many steelerfans dont like (infact hate) that-

-the rooneys are cheap
-chriss collinsworth
- the browns
-the bungles
-the ravens
-the patriots
-all the steelers opponents
-dan snyder
-jersey numbers that arent the old block style
-cheerleaders
-steely mcbeam
-jerry jones
-the cowboys
-john madden and dick enberg
-all other teams
- steeler players on twitter
-any steeler player over the age of 32
-terry bradshaw
-art rooney II
-artificial turf
-a natural grass turf that is a cow pasture
-espn
-nfl network
-ed bouchette
-any local media writer
-phil simms
-salary cap
-being unable to spend freeley
-boring drafts
-drafting a rb or wr in teh 1st round
-drafting non sexy players such as linemen in the 1st round
-free agency
-lack or participation in free agency
yada
yada
yada

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Check out Sportrac.com and give me a list of your top five receivers in the league and what their making. That'll help shed some light on this, but my eyes are running together. You do it :chuckle:

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:53 AM
As does several fans of any team under that teams circumstances. I actually like a lot of what's one that list at first glance, but i'm too tired to read it all. Read for me, Tony. Shit for me too, while your at it. Bathrooms to far away :hunch: :chuckle:

pancake
03-15-2012, 04:40 AM
thats exactly the scenerio i see playing out...another solid season an he chases his fortune elsewhere... thats why part of me was kinda hoping someone would take him this year for a 1st....:noidea:

I know you're right, but I still have hope he signs long term, but I doubt it...

Rick5895
03-15-2012, 05:06 AM
The Steelers do not over pay for WR's. Unless Wallace takes less to stay he will eventually be gone. Look at the money being thrown around at guys like Jackson (both of them) and Garcon. Calvin signs yesterday for 132 million over 8 years.
What is happening with the Steelers right now is they are being "punished" for drafting well and finding the right players to fit the team. These players are extremely successful and therefore demand more money which creates cap problems. We as the fans demand that they keep these players when there contracts expire,the Steelers want to keep these guys as well, so they pay these players the market value for top players at the positions (Ben, Lamarr, Silverback Timmons etc..) this creates cap issues and forces re-negotiations, which just defers the issues to future years. Yes we have held onto certain players a bit too long, but you can't draft every replacement at the same time. Really all we can hope for at this point is that a guy like Foote who left and came back tells guys like Wallace how it really is and tells these guys that you are better off staying with a great organization like the Steelers for a little less than going somewhere else for the money. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and the big money sometimes offers the illusion it is "greener".
So if it becomes apparent we lose Wallace then we should hope he signs elsewhere as a RFA and we get the 1st round pick in return. This will help us more in the long run. Just one guys opinion.

cloppbeast
03-15-2012, 07:34 AM
thats exactly the scenerio i see playing out...another solid season an he chases his fortune elsewhere... thats why part of me was kinda hoping someone would take him this year for a 1st....:noidea:

I agree. The steelers could really use another first round pick.

Ricco Suavez
03-15-2012, 07:51 AM
The Steelers do not over pay for WR's. Unless Wallace takes less to stay he will eventually be gone. Look at the money being thrown around at guys like Jackson (both of them) and Garcon. Calvin signs yesterday for 132 million over 8 years.
What is happening with the Steelers right now is they are being "punished" for drafting well and finding the right players to fit the team. These players are extremely successful and therefore demand more money which creates cap problems. We as the fans demand that they keep these players when there contracts expire,the Steelers want to keep these guys as well, so they pay these players the market value for top players at the positions (Ben, Lamarr, Silverback Timmons etc..) this creates cap issues and forces re-negotiations, which just defers the issues to future years. Yes we have held onto certain players a bit too long, but you can't draft every replacement at the same time. Really all we can hope for at this point is that a guy like Foote who left and came back tells guys like Wallace how it really is and tells these guys that you are better off staying with a great organization like the Steelers for a little less than going somewhere else for the money. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and the big money sometimes offers the illusion it is "greener".
So if it becomes apparent we lose Wallace then we should hope he signs elsewhere as a RFA and we get the 1st round pick in return. This will help us more in the long run. Just one guys opinion.

Very well said. We as fans have been loyal to our team above all else, and it is hard for some of us to understand why a player given their opportunity in the NFL would leave for more money. In this case though we are talking about a lot of money and a big difference in what the Steelers can offer and what another team could. I still do not know if we are out of the woods this year, I think the 49ers and/or the Patriots will make some kind of offer, throw in the Bengals also as a dark horse. I still fell this will cause some friction between Wallace and the Front Office, especially if no long term deal is in place somtime before this season.

MDSteel15
03-15-2012, 08:11 AM
what is funny is many steelerfans dont like (infact hate) that-

-the rooneys are cheap - can't be if we are hurting on salary cap!
-chris collinsworth - even Cincy hates him...
- the browns
-the bungles
-the ravens
-the patriots
-all the steelers opponents
-dan snyder
-jersey numbers that arent the old block style
-cheerleaders
-steely mcbeam
-jerry jones
-the cowboys
-john madden and dick enberg
-all other teams
-steeler players on twitter
-any steeler player over the age of 32
-terry bradshaw - love him!!!
-art rooney II
-artificial turf - it's sacreligious...
-a natural grass turf that is a cow pasture
-espn - only during football season!
-nfl network - more the people they hire than the network itsself
-ed bouchette - hate MM more
-any local media writer
-phil simms - who doesn't?
-salary cap - love it! All sports should have one... Just should be less money!
-being unable to spend freeley
-boring drafts
-drafting a rb or wr in teh 1st round
-drafting non sexy players such as linemen in the 1st round both of these, don't care! just want the BPA that fits our system!!!
-free agency
-lack or participation in free agency - true true
yada
yada
yada

:noidea:

pittpete
03-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Wallace will be signing with the Steelers this year.
Lets face it, no team is willing to give up a first and pay him a boatload of cash.
If Wallace doesnt agree to a long term deal with the Steelers then he is playing Russian Roulette with his career.
His game is all about speed. If he signs the tender and blows out his knee this season then what? You think teams will rush to sign him next season?
If he doesnt sign a new contract,plays out the year in Pittsburgh and has a mediocre year, do teams rush to sign him? If he has a great season, then the Steelers can franchise him. So essentially we can have his services for 2 more years for an average of lets say 6 million per. The RFA tender and the franchise next year(could be more because of the crazy WR signings)
Wallace signs a new contract with us for 5 years for 45 million.
If not, we won a Superbowl when Plax left and went to another w/o Stonio.
Steelers will go on with or without Mr. Wallace.
Mr. Wallace would be wise to sign a long term contract before the season....

BIGNASTY91
03-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Now if the Titans do indeed sign Manning, I could see them giving up a first for manning to have a true deep threat down the field????:popcorn:

ETL
03-15-2012, 09:30 AM
If Wallace is not signed by another team then tremendous kudos to colbert for a good gamble.

Atlanta Dan
03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
The Steelers do not over pay for WR's. Unless Wallace takes less to stay he will eventually be gone

I agree Wallace is gone now or in 2013 - the question is whether Antonio Brown is the real deal as a #1 receiver or may be the equivalent of Alvin Harper of the 90s Cowboys being a great #2 sidekick to Michael Irvin but unable to carry the load as a #1 when Harper went to Tampa as a FA. No way to find out for sure until Wallace is gone

Meanwhile, the Patriots apparently are shopping for WRs in the bargain basement for the moment

Receiver Anthony Gonzalez, a free agent whom the Colts are not interested in re-signing, is also expected to make the trip to New England on Friday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/patriots-to-host-laron-landry-anthony-gonzalez/

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Steelers can average 6.5million over 2 years with Wallace. This year is the 2.7, next year about 10.5million franchise tag next year. Secures him for 2 years at a resonable avg for the Steelers.

Brown gets tendered next year, and no one will touch Brown next year. Becase the only people who overvalue Brown are on this board and they don't own teams.

If they explain it clearly to him, that the next 2 years he isn't going to go any place a deal might get done. This year alone he will leave about 5mill on the table never to be able to recoup that money. Who knows what will happen in 2 years, we might draft a 5th rounder that has speed and talent and in 2 years we may not need wallace. But in my mind if we get past this year, he isn't going any place for 2 years.

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
this is based on this years cap hit-

1 Larry Fitzgerald at
Wide Receiver
$20,250,000
2 Calvin Johnson at
Wide Receiver
$17,754,133
3 Vincent Jackson at
Wide Receiver
$13,000,000
4 Brandon Marshall at
Wide Receiver
$10,400,000
5 Dwayne Bowe at
Wide Receiver
$9,443,000
Wes Welker at
Wide Receiver
$9,443,000
6 Santonio Holmes at
Wide Receiver
$9,250,000

(average of top 5 = 14.14 mil/year)

heres the kicker...

1n 2010 andrae johnson signed a 62mil/7year deal which was considered blockbuster making him the highest paid wr ever; however, after next year, he probably wont even be a "top 10" receiver anymore according to average yearly salary.

his base salary in '12 is 700,000 with a cap hit of 4 mil. (obvious restructure) his total value (cap hit) for the remaining 4 years will be-

10mil
10mil
14mil
14mil

in retrospect, the texans got a top 3 wr for what appears to be a huge bargain. anyone wanna guess how this plays out in 2-3 years whe he is playing for significantly less than even the franchise tag value?

when people are determining what constitutes and individual players value, they need to be able to look at the big picture and put thier individual beliefs and biases aside.

if the steelers are a ground and pound running team, of course they are going to devalue a wr. doesnt mean that all its fans or the rest of the league have to. thats just being a homer.

it is what it is.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Ground and pund in the backfield maybe, LOL But we are not a ground and pound team in the positive sense thats for sure.

If your going to slot Wallace, its above Bowe. Welker is a different WR and I would take Wallace over Holmes. regardless he is a top 10 WR in the NFL.

Ricco Suavez
03-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I love me some Wallace, but he is a receiver. And what are receivers like? Most are divas and drama queens, malcontents, and have a high opinion of themselves. I am not saying that is what Wallace is, but like I have said before this could play out where we have a player who resents the situation he is in and becomes more of a problem than an asset. The name Desean ring a bell?

The ideal scenario is Wallace and Colbert come to some kind of 4-5 year deal after the free agency period ends. I think Brown benefits greatly from Wallace being on the other side and while I do believe Brown may be a more complete receiver he will suffer without the speed/deep threat Wallace provides on the other side.

Kingmagyar
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Steelers can average 6.5million over 2 years with Wallace. This year is the 2.7, next year about 10.5million franchise tag next year. Secures him for 2 years at a resonable avg for the Steelers.

Brown gets tendered next year, and no one will touch Brown next year. Becase the only people who overvalue Brown are on this board and they don't own teams.

If they explain it clearly to him, that the next 2 years he isn't going to go any place a deal might get done. This year alone he will leave about 5mill on the table never to be able to recoup that money. Who knows what will happen in 2 years, we might draft a 5th rounder that has speed and talent and in 2 years we may not need wallace. But in my mind if we get past this year, he isn't going any place for 2 years.

Geat point. Right on the nose. We will have the cap room next year for a franchise tag on him. Two more years but I do say Antonio Brown might more then likely be stolen for a 1st next year because he could really explode this year and the lack of FA WRs next year. This year is an anomaly.

You should sign Brown this summer. What you could sign him for would be considerably less then after the year is over. Like I said on another post he will make about 3.5 mil over the next two years if he is a RFA next year. Or he could sign this summer at make over 12 million so so for the same amount of time.

Kingmagyar
03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
How about a 2 year 6.5 mil per year deal for Wallace? Would you take it? If no one signs him for a #1 this year it's probably a done deal if the Steelers want it.

Thanks to Curtain_of_Steel's suggestion that the Steelers could pay Wallace the 2.7 this year and franchise him next year as they will have more cap space because of the new TV deals. The total amount paid to him would be around 6.5 million per year or less. Keep him 2 more years and sign Brown this summer while you can.

TRH
03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
How about a 2 year 6.5 mil per year deal for Wallace? Would you take it? If no one signs him for a #1 this year it's probably a done deal if the Steelers want it.

Thanks to Curtain_of_Steel's suggestion that the Steelers could pay Wallace the 2.7 this year and franchise him next year as they will have more cap space because of the new TV deals. The total amount paid to him would be around 6.5 million per year or less. Keep him 2 more years and sign Brown this summer while you can.

his agent is going to laugh us out of the building at that kind of deal (with the numbers being thrown around right now).

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 11:33 AM
I am here to bring value to the topic. As long as we talk money I can focus, LOL

To me is a " business move", Wallace will not holdout, he hasn't made enough money to shoot himself in the foot. With the cap climbing a bit next year we sit in a nice spot "business wise" if no one touches Wallace this year.
I keep mentioning "business" because as the players always say, its business. Well sometime it circles back to the owners benefit.
Even if we tagged him 2 years in a row we would only be about 8mill. As its been posted here he won't be fast forever, lol
2.7 10.5 maybe 11mill =23.3mill thats under 8mill for 3 years. Still plays out in our favor and the 2014 cap year is going to be huge.

6.5mill avg 2 year payout, is a steal based on todays going rates for an all pro WR.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 11:41 AM
His agent can laugh laugh all he wants. But IF we get past the RFA year, this year. His ass is ours with the franchise tags.

OX1947
03-15-2012, 11:43 AM
His agent can laugh laugh all he wants. But IF we get past the RFA year, this year. His ass is ours witht he franchise tags.

hahahahaa, Ah hells ya.

Steeldude
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Now add Calvin Johnson's 8 years $132 million with $60 million of it guaranteed.

Wallace will not be a Steeler in 2013. The Steelers are better off spending that kind of money elsewhere.

TRH
03-15-2012, 01:15 PM
His agent can laugh laugh all he wants. But IF we get past the RFA year, this year. His ass is ours with the franchise tags.

Yeah, but at that point, we'll still be paying him a helluva lot more than 6 and a half mil a year. The market is now being set.....and set HUGE.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
your wrong with it.

Im stating look at the 2 or 3 year picture. Amortize it over 2-3 years if we retain him with the tender at 2.7, and than 2 years of franchise tags

1) RFA tender 2.7mill
2) F Tag 10.5mill maybe less
3) F Tag 11-12mill

Total 2 year 13.2
Total 3 year 24-25.2mill

Once this year gets locked in Wallace has ZERO say over that term. As we tag him and bag his ass. Right now we are dangling a bit in the wind as will someone waste a pick and huge dollars? Expertes say it won't happen. After the time period passes, wallace can onlyhold out. that would be stupid on his part.

Avgs 6.6 over 2
Avgs 8million per over 3 with 2 years of F tags

Bargain at what people are paying. I think I rather have him for 3 years and than see how things are. As opposed to giving him a 50million deal now. Thats the business in me, lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I am actually kind of hoping that somebody does offer Wallace a contract this year and we get a 1st round pick for him. Steelers not likely to pay him $11million a year to play WR, so he will not be with the team in 2013.

stb_steeler
03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
omg. These teams are killing themselves by throwing around that much money. Next thing the RB's, the LB's, hell, everybody is going to want that same money. Before you know it, it will be teams with 2 or 3 stars and a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's.
Thats why they never get anywhere, those teams think one man can make the difference

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Those teams are missing the core. Hence Fitzgerald, you cant pay a WR 20million and have shit around him. They were paying him 5mill and went to the SB. Ego inflates, pay him big, rest of the team sucks.

You can pay a WR 10million and have a supporting cast if the money is managed. Right now the steelers dough hasnt been managed. Its been reactive not proactive. It will take a couple years to square things out and hopefully the draft goes well from the past 2 years and this year, as we certainly cant sign FA's

If the Steelers think they will be the only team in the NFL to be a rushing team and win, they are mightly mistaking. Those days are long gone.

Atlanta Dan
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Good SI.com article breaks it down -

The other reason behind Pittsburgh holding steady is that, while the rash of free-agent WR signings could push teams in Wallace’s direction, the flip side of it is that the market for a potential long-term deal with Wallace is being set. DeSean Jackson’s contract (five years, $51 million with $15 million guaranteed) might be a starting point for what’s fair for Wallace; he’s outproduced Jackson over the past two seasons.

The breakdown of the Jackson contract, especially, could play to Pittsburgh’s advantage.

Jackson’s 2012 cap hit will only be in the neighborhood of $3 million, as he’ll work off a $750,000 base salary plus a signing bonus. The remainder of that deal stretches out over the four following seasons and gives the Eagles a fairly cost-effective out after 2013.

Wallace would be guaranteed $2.7 million next season under the first-round tender, so a slight bump for 2012 plus a longer-term solution structured similarly to Jackson’s might be possible, even with Pittsburgh’s stifled cap situation....

That said, this story is a lot closer to the beginning than the end. After seeing the run on free-agent wide receivers Tuesday and Wednesday, it seems unlikely that Wallace simply slides by as a restricted free agent without a nibble from another team or a long-term extension from his own.

Who will blink first?

Pittsburgh seems comfortable no matter the answer.:thumbsup:

http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/15/mike-wallace-situation-still-up-in-the-air/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

vasteeler
03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I am actually kind of hoping that somebody does offer Wallace a contract this year and we get a 1st round pick for him. Steelers not likely to pay him $11million a year to play WR, so he will not be with the team in 2013.

that could be good for us this year. this year will be his showcase year. he going to want to make the best of it and demand a lot of cash next year.......so heres to him being this years superbowl MVP:drink:

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Some can read and some cant... Its not about paying him 11mill freaking dollars in 1 freaking year.

Steelers don't need to blink at all, if no one signs him to an offer sheet, Wallace is screwed like a ho on the corner downtown.

Its about looking at the big picture and how long Wallace can be here UNDER MARKET VALUE. That is 3 years. 1 RFA year and 2 Tagged years.

Its not about paying him 11million for 1 year. Its about looking at the big picture of the next 3 years, the avg of the 3 years is roughly 8million and he gets the larger contracts when we have cap space.

Wallace gets out of RFA and he has to take the tender 2.7million. To me at this point I take the savings there, and sign Brown long term, giving Brown more money this year and next year, starts to provide relief over a 5-6 year deal for him. (smart way to do it, not so much the steeler way). Now you say, oh boy Wallace is going to be pissed right? Right, but I bet he has already turned down Steelers offers. So he gambled and crapped out don't listen to your idiot agent and your posse, they will steer you wrong 9 out of 10 times.. We secured Brown long term, than use the tags on Wallace. Both are kept togther at least 3 years and Browns money is reasonable as it was spread out over 2 earlier years. With that being said, you should be able to get Brown now at 5/30 or 6/36. Where as the next 2 years the most he will get is 3.3mill? Perfect timing for him to secure his future contract.

Thats how you keep both, in effect Wallace will be paying Brown this year. Thanks Mike!

Of course watch tomorrow someone signs him to an offer sheet and all this means squat, lol

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Pittsburgh seems comfortable no matter the answer.[/I]:thumbsup:

http://nfl.si.com/2012/03/15/mike-wallace-situation-still-up-in-the-air/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihpthe positive spin for the 1st time that i can really remember is that this "dilemma" really seems like a win-win situation for the steelers.

(dumping holmes and scoring on brown was pure luck).

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2012, 07:22 PM
that could be good for us this year. this year will be his showcase year. he going to want to make the best of it and demand a lot of cash next year.......so heres to him being this years superbowl MVP:drink:

or he sulks like DeSean Jackson did last year. I wonder if the Bengals take a shot at him since they have 2 1st round picks?

Ricco Suavez
03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Some can read and some cant... Its not about paying him 11mill freaking dollars in 1 freaking year.

Steelers don't need to blink at all, if no one signs him to an offer sheet, Wallace is screwed like a ho on the corner downtown.

Its about looking at the big picture and how long Wallace can be here UNDER MARKET VALUE. That is 3 years. 1 RFA year and 2 Tagged years.

Its not about paying him 11million for 1 year. Its about looking at the big picture of the next 3 years, the avg of the 3 years is roughly 8million and he gets the larger contracts when we have cap space.

Wallace gets out of RFA and he has to take the tender 2.7million. To me at this point I take the savings there, and sign Brown long term, giving Brown more money this year and next year, starts to provide relief over a 5-6 year deal for him. (smart way to do it, not so much the steeler way). Now you say, oh boy Wallace is going to be pissed right? Right, but I bet he has already turned down Steelers offers. So he gambled and crapped out don't listen to your idiot agent and your posse, they will steer you wrong 9 out of 10 times.. We secured Brown long term, than use the tags on Wallace. Both are kept togther at least 3 years and Browns money is reasonable as it was spread out over 2 earlier years. With that being said, you should be able to get Brown now at 5/30 or 6/36. Where as the next 2 years the most he will get is 3.3mill? Perfect timing for him to secure his future contract.

Thats how you keep both, in effect Wallace will be paying Brown this year. Thanks Mike!

Of course watch tomorrow someone signs him to an offer sheet and all this means squat, lol

You are right. No one signs Wallace this year and they do not work out a deal he plays for the 2.7 million(is this correct amount) this year and Steelers could franchise him next which should be in the range of 10-11.5 million, and once again if no deal in place they could franchise him once more at around 11-12 million the next year. lets see that is a three year deal around 24-26 million. A good contract but no guaranteed future money or bonuses. That will be the hang up to a long term deal.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 07:35 PM
They dont need to sign him long term. He screws himself by trying to get the big bucks. Instead he has to keep dancing for the paycheck.

Right now his speed is the uhge key to Mike Wallaces value. You can't teach speed and he has WR talent. But where will he be in 3 years? I rather roll the dice with my plan, we dont risk alot. We retain Wallace based on the Players rfa and tag system and we rework Brown with Wallaces money. Wallace would have no choice and no one will sign him with the Franchise Tag so we run zero risk of losing him, and he still won't hold out as he hasn't made the big bucks to leverage it against us.

Where do we lose there?

60_MINUTES
03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
so it was 50 50 on keeping Wallace or not... Id say thats about right cause I keep going back n forth myself about it... One min I want to see what Todd H can do with this kind of Talent.. then next min I dont want to spend the money and would rather have a big time NT or ILB in his place... oh well like I said poll results seem to be spot on...50 50

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Well everyone that votes to take the 1st rd pick, will be screaming and yelling at Ben when productively goes down because you lose an all pro WR and plug him in with a rookie or a washed up vet who is just about servicable on a good day.

We shall see how it plays out.

PhantomJB93
03-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I think a lot of people are really overrating Antonio Brown. I know he had an awesome season, but I'm really not ready to ditch Wallace and trust him as our sole #1. Think how many receivers around the league have one good year and then never reproduce it. Not that I think Brown will be one of those guys but he's hardly anything proven yet and I for one would not feel comfortable getting rid of our only true proven receiver and handing the reigns over to him.

60_MINUTES
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
I think a lot of people are really overrating Antonio Brown. I know he had an awesome season, but I'm really not ready to ditch Wallace and trust him as our sole #1. Think how many receivers around the league have one good year and then never reproduce it. Not that I think Brown will be one of those guys but he's hardly anything proven yet and I for one would not feel comfortable getting rid of our only true proven receiver and handing the reigns over to him.

I will give you that... your right it happens sometimes... and yes it would suck if it happend to us...

there is one other thing I believe that most seem to have forgotten... TODD H may do things with this O that amazes everyone... I really believe BA sucked more then we think... Im not so sure under Todd we will need 2 or 3 number one receivers... We may only need one great one and a couple solid ones if the right plays are called

Curtain_of_Steel
03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Todd H better be able to show the pos Oline we have how to block. However I do not believe that is his forte, lol

Kingmagyar
03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
i love the idea of keeping Wallace 2-3 more years with the tags. Sign Brown this year while he would take less (still probably 6 mil per year), draft a WR no later then the 4th round, and sign a vet like Cotchery. If the draft pick is up to speed by 2014 there is no need to even keep Wallace in the bigger Franchise tag year. But anyway it's done if we retain him this year then the Steelers control him through 2014.

The countdown to April 20th is starting. San Fran and NE would be the only ones of note now. SF is looking at Lloyd, Manningham and Ginn. If one signs they are out. NE is looking at Anthony Gonzales.
The Bengals are of course the Bungles. What are they doing? They have all that cap money and nobody? They even let a guy that had 6.5 sacks last year for them go to New England.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Bengals need more than another WR, plus it becomes 2 speed WR's, they are still not a contender, and dont have a great QB. although Dalton isn't bad. But history dictates Brown rather pocket the cash as he did with 40million extra last year.

He is in no hurry to over spend. Bengals will feel they can compete with tweaks. Ravens are aging quick and Flacco that POS QB is still the QB there. Bengals could overtake them in a year.

If they wanted to make a splash, go after Ray Rice and kill your division rival worse than taking Wallace. There is no substitue on the market for Rice.

However I feel there may be the wink and the nod in the "unwritten" rule you dont touch tagged plays and RFA guys. Who knows, but one can hope.

tony hipchest
03-17-2012, 08:17 PM
it would appear so with the signing of brandon lloyd and anthony gonzalez to add to chad johnson, welker, and deion branch.

that would leave SF and CIN as the only realistic suitors.

if nobody even puts in a 5 million dollar offer that the steelers are forced to match, they come out golden, the gamble pays off, and we could wind up saving millions on a multi-year deal.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Beat me to it tony, lol

I dont see the Bungholes going after Wallace. Patsare now way out of the race if they ever were in it.

Wallces just cringed a bit. His agent said, don't worry Mike there is 25 other teams, lol.
Manningham is up next, he needs to go to the 49ers.

tony hipchest
03-17-2012, 08:33 PM
if the niners land manning, i think they'll go all in and add wallace as well.

if they dont, i think they'll go for manningham or someone like royal if he is still available.

the bungles are interesting because they havent signed nobody yet, have a pleathora of picks and could pay wallace 20 mil base salary and not hurt their cap situation in the future one bit.

my mind is prepeared for the worst (yet hoping for the best)

ravens havent signed much either. if they really want wallace they can get him as well.

steeltheone
03-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Beat me to it tony, lol

I dont see the Bungholes going after Wallace. Patsare now way out of the race if they ever were in it.

Wallces just cringed a bit. His agent said, don't worry Mike there is 25 other teams, lol.
Manningham is up next, he needs to go to the 49ers. Still think The Bengals are a threat...it's win win, They gain a top wideout and hurt the steelers in one move...

6RingsAndCounting
03-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Beat me to it too :p haha, but this is turning out pretty well for the Steelers.

Steel_Bus_24
03-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Still a ways to go before we are out of the Danger Zone

Millers the sh!t
03-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Wallace ain't going nowhere this year. He would have been out by now. I dont think this is turning out well for the steelers, We'll have him for another season then the year after, we'll lose him and the first round pick. If that's the case I hope we do sign him before the seasons over. I'm hoping that the lack of interest humbles Wallace a bit and we get him to work harder than ever before and hopefully sign him a bit cheaper. But, I know that teams aren't willing to pay him top dollar and lose a first rounder just for a guy who has speed and decent hands. Next year he'll start getting some offers.

I wonder what they'll tender Brown for. I bet he gets a few hits/possibly taken in free agency.

tanda10506
03-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Manning, Gore, Moss, V.Davis, and Wallace....that would be an incredibly great offense IF they could all get on the same page. Anyway, enough of that. I can't help but wonder that if NOBODY makes an offer (a decent offer at least) if the Steelers FO would approach Wallace with a cruder tactic of "look, nobody wanted you, there were a lot of FA WR's and they all got picked except you". Not saying they will, just an angle they can come from in that situation.

OX1947
03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
I can not believe some of you still think there is a team out there that is going to over pay AND give up a 1st rounder. Wake up.

Fire Arians
03-17-2012, 10:01 PM
if the niners land manning, i think they'll go all in and add wallace as well.

i was thinking that the other day, if the niners land manning they're going to target wallace

Fire Arians
03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
I can not believe some of you still think there is a team out there that is going to over pay AND give up a 1st rounder. Wake up.

mostly true but say that the 49ers land manning without having to totally break the bank, and still have enough cap space to outbid us for wallace...

you have: a top 3 defense, peyton manning, frank gore, randy moss, vernon davis, and mike wallace.... a very realistic shot to win a sb there. I think most teams would be willing to give up a 1st rounder for a good shot at a championship. adding manning and wallace to the 49ers and they'll be like the NFL's miami heat

OX1947
03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
mostly true but say that the 49ers land manning without having to totally break the bank, and still have enough cap space to outbid us for wallace...

you have: a top 3 defense, peyton manning, frank gore, randy moss, vernon davis, and mike wallace.... a very realistic shot to win a sb there. I think most teams would be willing to give up a 1st rounder for a good shot at a championship. adding manning and wallace to the 49ers and they'll be like the NFL's miami heat

Same reason why Mike Brown is an idiot, is the same reason why the York's are idiots. Mike Browns and the York's have no idea how to run winning, consistent football. This Harbaugh thing is fluke. Manning isn't going to SF and playing in that sewer of a stadium. Manning is going to Tennessee.

Steelersfan87
03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Has it not occurred to everybody that Hampton's pay cut had anything to do with Wallace protection? A team would have to offer a really stupid contract for the Steelers to let him go.

OX1947
03-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Manningham signs with the niners for 2 years. Niners are offically out of the Wallace sweepstakes.

Millers the sh!t
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Has it not occurred to everybody that Hampton's pay cut had anything to do with Wallace protection? A team would have to offer a really stupid contract for the Steelers to let him go.

I thought it was because Hampton barely plays, blown his knee out and deserved a huge pay cut, if not a pink slip.

Also thought it was to help pay for draft picks and a our jaw dropping all star list of free agents who we definitely won't lose to any other team. Except for Legs maybe.

Steelersfan87
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
They have until April 20th to worry about another team scooping up Wallace. The draft doesn't even occur by then, and they don't have to pay draft picks until months later.

tony hipchest
03-18-2012, 12:19 AM

you mean like ward, smith, farrior, battle, kemo, and mcfaddens "paycut"?

how bout woodley, ben, ike, timmons restructure?

i guess it hasnt occured to anybody.

anyways, i introduce you to the bungles. not only are they stupid, but they are cap rich and could offer a very reasonable contract offer the steelers wouldnt chose to match.

just about every GM in the league would laugh their ass off at anybody who thought that trimming 3 million off hamptons salary cap hit was any real protection. any team in the league can restructure 4-5 guys contracts just for savings just like the steelers did. most teams simply dont have to.

right now is exactly like a high stakes game of poker. the steelers arent showing their hand, and slowly keep raising the stakes to see who will fold.

that doesnt mean nobody will call their bluff... regardless of if they have a winning hand or not.

mike brown may be a dumbass tightwad, but i could see where he is feeling a bit lucky right about now.

is it probable he'll push all chips in? no. possible? of course...

anyone who acts like it isnt needs to wake up and smell the reality of not only gambling, but business, and how the 2 are somewhat similar in regards to taking a risk.

kan_t
03-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Have said it before. I always believe that Wallace is going to stay. The inflation of WR salary may actually make Wallace prices out of the market.

The Steelers play it beautifully so far.

tanda10506
03-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Manningham signs with the niners for 2 years. Niners are offically out of the Wallace sweepstakes.

I never understood that, Manningham just won a SB on a team that will be a contender next year, why would you leave!

Bayz101
03-18-2012, 12:42 AM
I never understood that, Manningham just won a SB on a team that will be a contender next year, why would you leave!

It's not a loyal move, but it may damn well be a smart one in the long run. The 49'ers we're a favorite to win it all much of last year, and they'll be a favorite from day one next year. This kid obviously wants to get some rings.

MACH1
03-18-2012, 01:07 AM

LeChoke???

As long as it's not the cheats* it'll be a tad bit less painless IF he leaves.

kan_t
03-18-2012, 01:57 AM
It's not a loyal move, but it may damn well be a smart one in the long run. The 49'ers we're a favorite to win it all much of last year, and they'll be a favorite from day one next year. This kid obviously wants to get some rings.
Yes because of their defense. But he may find that the new QB may not be able to make all those throws to him like in his Giants days.

Steelersfan87
03-18-2012, 03:49 AM
you mean like ward, smith, farrior, battle, kemo, and mcfaddens "paycut"?

how bout woodley, ben, ike, timmons restructure?

i guess it hasnt occured to anybody.

anyways, i introduce you to the bungles. not only are they stupid, but they are cap rich and could offer a very reasonable contract offer the steelers wouldnt chose to match.

just about every GM in the league would laugh their ass off at anybody who thought that trimming 3 million off hamptons salary cap hit was any real protection. any team in the league can restructure 4-5 guys contracts just for savings just like the steelers did. most teams simply dont have to.

right now is exactly like a high stakes game of poker. the steelers arent showing their hand, and slowly keep raising the stakes to see who will fold.

that doesnt mean nobody will call their bluff... regardless of if they have a winning hand or not.

mike brown may be a dumbass tightwad, but i could see where he is feeling a bit lucky right about now.

is it probable he'll push all chips in? no. possible? of course...

anyone who acts like it isnt needs to wake up and smell the reality of not only gambling, but business, and how the 2 are somewhat similar in regards to taking a risk.

:doh:

You're not even disagreeing with me. Obviously all of their roster moves have at least in part been influenced by their (publicly stated) desire to make Wallace a long-time Steeler. The Hampton move so soon before the free agency period began further showed their hand in reflecting their desire to keep Wallace at any reasonable cost (hence why it would take a 'stupid' contract to snatch him away). Chances are, the Steelers would have left Hampton be if they believed that they did not need the money (and they would have gotten $1 of that anyway; you can't recover a workout bonus while you're rehabbing an ACL), but obviously they believed that it was beneficial to have a stash of cash on hand to intimidate others from placing an offer, or, worse case scenario, to match the offer as long as it's reasonable.

And yes, though unlikely, that IS where the Bengals would come in. But you have to consider that this is the team that let Johnathan Joseph sign with the Texans last year, and then this year sign a Texans cornerback. This is the team that just let both starting guards go while failing to pursue the top 3 free agent guards, so they end up signing a guy from the Panthers. This is a guy that let two of their key pieces to their defensive line, which is the strength of their defense, walk. There is no precedent for the Bengals throwing money around. Is it possible that they offer Wallace a stupid contract? Sure, although that doesn't necessarily mean that Wallace would sign it either, as long as the Steelers offer something competitive in response. But according to Steelers Depot's salary cap analysis, the Steelers have about $8 million under the Rule of 51 requirements right now, with all of the tenders included. There's a big difference between $5 million and $8 million.

pete74
03-18-2012, 05:16 AM
:doh:

You're not even disagreeing with me. Obviously all of their roster moves have at least in part been influenced by their (publicly stated) desire to make Wallace a long-time Steeler. The Hampton move so soon before the free agency period began further showed their hand in reflecting their desire to keep Wallace at any reasonable cost (hence why it would take a 'stupid' contract to snatch him away). Chances are, the Steelers would have left Hampton be if they believed that they did not need the money (and they would have gotten $1 of that anyway; you can't recover a workout bonus while you're rehabbing an ACL), but obviously they believed that it was beneficial to have a stash of cash on hand to intimidate others from placing an offer, or, worse case scenario, to match the offer as long as it's reasonable.

And yes, though unlikely, that IS where the Bengals would come in. But you have to consider that this is the team that let Johnathan Joseph sign with the Texans last year, and then this year sign a Texans cornerback. This is the team that just let both starting guards go while failing to pursue the top 3 free agent guards, so they end up signing a guy from the Panthers. This is a guy that let two of their key pieces to their defensive line, which is the strength of their defense, walk. There is no precedent for the Bengals throwing money around. Is it possible that they offer Wallace a stupid contract? Sure, although that doesn't necessarily mean that Wallace would sign it either, as long as the Steelers offer something competitive in response. But according to Steelers Depot's salary cap analysis, the Steelers have about $8 million under the Rule of 51 requirements right now, with all of the tenders included. There's a big difference between $5 million and $8 million.

but they still need to use that 8 million to sign there draft picks. if the Bengals want him they will get him. they have two 1st round picks and are 39 million below the cap. they would be the favorite to win the division in my mind if they paired wallace with green. with that said, i dont see it hapening

Curtain_of_Steel
03-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Steelers still have resturcutres they can do, Hairrson alone is about 7-8million that can be shifted if they be. Troy still has possibilities as well. Plenty of savings is sitting there. No reason to do anything till you need it, ig they can by without it than they have it in the bank next year to use.

Manningham didn;t go to the 49ers to go and split more time and less catches. He has that in NY. He clearly said it was about getting more catches.
One big negative is Smith is still lurking a positive could be Manning, but one hit turns that into a huge negative.
I dont see Wallace going there or the Manningham move back fires and you have a disgruntled WR.

You still have the Broncos and the Benglas, and who knows who else. But Its looking unlikely that Wallace was never really an option for anyone.

steeltheone
03-18-2012, 08:58 AM
We might get one more year out of him,but then it's either him or Brown...Still thinking the Bengals swipe him.

TRH
03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Steelers still have resturcutres they can do, Hairrson alone is about 7-8million that can be shifted if they be. Troy still has possibilities as well. Plenty of savings is sitting there. No reason to do anything till you need it, ig they can by without it than they have it in the bank next year to use.

Manningham didn;t go to the 49ers to go and split more time and less catches. He has that in NY. He clearly said it was about getting more catches.
One big negative is Smith is still lurking a positive could be Manning, but one hit turns that into a huge negative.
I dont see Wallace going there or the Manningham move back fires and you have a disgruntled WR.

You still have the Broncos and the Benglas, and who knows who else. But Its looking unlikely that Wallace was never really an option for anyone.

I'm starting to wonder that myself. With everyone thats been signed or almost signed as of now, there's been quite a bit of media that went along with it or preceded it. It was all leaked out there. There's been no secrets.
The talk of Wallace so far?? ZERO. He's looking like the girl that hasn't been asked for a prom date right now. Possible no one's in the hunt.

LVSteelersfan
03-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Restricted Free agents don't tend to get picked up early in free agency. Someone could be hiding in the weeds to try to get him. But it looks like the teams with the later draft picks have already put their bids in on WRs so in my mind that means that the Steelers would just get an even earlier first round pick if someone grabs Wallace. Either way I think the Steelers win. Two first round draft picks would be gold with the holes they need to fill. I don't think there is any way that the 49ers get Manning and they just signed Manningham. They don't seem to be a player any more. I say the Steelers win either way. They will have the $8 million (or more) to play with if Wallace is picked up plus that extra pick. I think they are in good shape. They will need to sign another WR or two in the process if Wallace leaves.

Steel95
03-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Word straight out from the NFL Network is Mike Wallace will possibly be headed to Denver. If Peyton Manning signs with Denver, word is that Elway will do whatever it takes to sign Mike Wallace. I hope they do; that would give the Steelers the 24th and the 25th picks next month in the 2012 NFL Draft. I could easily see the Steelers moving down a few spots and trying to pick up multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I like Mike Wallace, but if his agent thinks he is going to get a $50M dollar deal with the Steelers, it aint gonna happen. He should know better than that, C'mon Man, the Rooney's don't play that. The Steelers never have valued the WR position like that. When I look back over 38 yrs following this team, just take a look at some of the WR's they have said goodbye to:

Santonio Holmes - (he was an idiot) the Jets really look smart? Not!
Yancey Thigpen - Had one good year with the Titans and that was it.
Plaxicco Burress - Played well for the Giants, was still pretty much a basket case. (Incarcerrated)
Antwaan Randle EL - Overpaid by Mr. Schneider, signed a 30M contract, 8M was guranteed.
Troy Edwards - Bombed out, he was a bust!
Nate Washington (Free Agent WR) Went to the Titans, never became the WR they thought they were getting

The Steelers said goodbye to all of those guys, Mike Wallace? The Steelers will ofer him a contract they feel he is worth, they will not overpay for Wallace despite what the other clubs have done this offseason. It's not the Steelers way of doing business. He cold still end up with San Francisco, you never know. I don't think he is going to New England though. They just signed the WR from St. Louis, Franchised Wes Welker as well. Cinncy? Possibly.

kan_t
03-18-2012, 11:10 AM
I wonder people will say the same thing if the Steelers do the same (let him go) to Brown next year.

TRH
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Word straight out from the NFL Network is Mike Wallace will possibly be headed to Denver. If Peyton Manning signs with Denver, word is that Elway will do whatever it takes to sign Mike Wallace. I hope they do; that would give the Steelers the 24th and the 25th picks next month in the 2012 NFL Draft. I could easily see the Steelers moving down a few spots and trying to pick up multiple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I like Mike Wallace, but if his agent thinks he is going to get a $50M dollar deal with the Steelers, it aint gonna happen. He should know better than that, C'mon Man, the Rooney's don't play that. The Steelers never have valued the WR position like that. When I look back over 38 yrs following this team, just take a look at some of the WR's they have said goodbye to:

"if" is out of the question. His agent absolutely knows thats what they want and thats what they're going to try and get....possibly ALOT more than that as well.

steelerchad
03-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm almost in favor of Wallace going to Cincy or Broncos at this point. At least it will be a little higher pick than the Pats or 49ers. It looks like we either have no Wallace this year and an extra pick from 20-25 in this years draft or Wallace for 1 more year at $2.7M and a comp pick at the end of the 4th round next year. If we lose Wallace and get the extra #1 pick, bolster the lines or get a ILB and lock up A. Brown for aound 5 years/ $25M.

Steel_Bus_24
03-18-2012, 03:25 PM

I t

That was just Mayock, Lombardi and lacanfora giving their opinion, they had no sources

Steelersfan87
03-18-2012, 05:11 PM
It's amazing how so many people completely rule out the possibility of signing Wallace to a long-term deal. Wallace is better than every other receiver that they let walk, so it makes no sense to compare them. I honestly think a lot of people are mentally preparing themselves for losing him, so they look for reasons to turn against him. I don't think anybody will try to grab him this year, but if they do, and it's not Vincent Jackson money, I think the Steelers will match. But they can still work out a long-term deal this year. If not, they CAN tag him next year and then work out a long-term deal. The Eagles tagged Jackson this year and then worked out a long-term deal, and his cap hit this year is only $3 million.

steelerchad
03-18-2012, 06:09 PM
It's amazing how so many people completely rule out the possibility of signing Wallace to a long-term deal. Wallace is better than every other receiver that they let walk, so it makes no sense to compare them. I honestly think a lot of people are mentally preparing themselves for losing him, so they look for reasons to turn against him. I don't think anybody will try to grab him this year, but if they do, and it's not Vincent Jackson money, I think the Steelers will match. But they can still work out a long-term deal this year. If not, they CAN tag him next year and then work out a long-term deal. The Eagles tagged Jackson this year and then worked out a long-term deal, and his cap hit this year is only $3 million.

I hope you're right. If they tagged him next year, the tag would still be under $10M. At $2.7 this year, that would still only be a little more than $6M per year for the next 2 years. Wallace might do a 5 or 6 year deal around $7M or $8M per year so he doesn't have to play for $2.7M this year. If he gets hurt or Ben gets hurt he may miss out on his big pay day. Ben getting hurt would likely kill most of his stats to earn that big contract next year.

lipps83
03-18-2012, 07:08 PM
I hope the Broncos take him and give us another first rounder.

I really don't see how anyone can even imagine that Mike Wallace is a top 10 receiver, let alone top. Usually, a top 20 receiver doesn't disappear for half a season, let alone a couple games at that.

Wallace isn't even the best receiver on this team. Let somebody else sign him so we can sign Brown to a long term deal (seems to be a really good guy at that) and draft someone else.

Steelersfan87
03-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Go ahead and name 10 better receivers then. Relevant to this is full body of work and trying to account for flukes and outliers; also age and potential for further growth, while trying to factor out the system the receiver plays in.

Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Greg Jennings

Antonio Brown's body of work is far too small to say that he's better than Wallace. He's only started one game in his career, I believe, while benefiting from Wallace drawing double coverage. Victor Cruz needs to continue to build on what he did last year to really make his case, as does A.J. Green. Wes Welker's success is extremely reliant on the system that he plays in. So who else is on your list? DeSean Jackson? Hakeem Nicks? Kenny Britt? Dwayne Bowe? Steve Smith? Brandon Marshall? Dez Bryant or Austin Miles?

xbroughneck
03-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Steeler fans tend to over value wideout speed. Once Wallace improves his route running he'll get more $$$

tony hipchest
03-18-2012, 08:13 PM
its not just steelerfans... the entire league values speed.

speed kills.

lipps83
03-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Go ahead and name 10 better receivers then. Relevant to this is full body of work and trying to account for flukes and outliers; also age and potential for further growth, while trying to factor out the system the receiver plays in.

Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Greg Jennings

Antonio Brown's body of work is far too small to say that he's better than Wallace. He's only started one game in his career, I believe, while benefiting from Wallace drawing double coverage. Victor Cruz needs to continue to build on what he did last year to really make his case, as does A.J. Green. Wes Welker's success is extremely reliant on the system that he plays in. So who else is on your list? DeSean Jackson? Hakeem Nicks? Kenny Britt? Dwayne Bowe? Steve Smith? Brandon Marshall? Dez Bryant or Austin Miles?

Only 10? I can name a bunch more that are better all-around receivers than the very fast two-trick pony (deep balls and bubble screens). You want to talk about the system a receiver plays in, have you seen the 'Mike Wallace is fast' system?

The names you mentioned:
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Greg Jennings

And the following:
Jordy Nelson
Wes Welker (I will take a workhorse like him over Wallace any day of the week)
Roddy White
Dwayne Bowe (for sure)
Antonio Brown (our very own)
Stevie Johnson
Percy Harvin
DeSean Jackson (much better all-around and will return kicks too)
Screw age. Heck, I bet we could get a better one more year out of Steve Smith than we will get out of Mike Wallace if we can't sign him for longer than one.

And that's not even getting to the much younger guys that have more potential to grow than Wallace.

Torrey Smith
Julio Jones
AJ Green

I would also add Brandon Wallace and Santonio Holmes to that list, but they are too much of a headcase.

That's 13 guys who I feel are better than Mike Wallace right now, and that's not even really delving into the crop of receivers across the league.

I am telling you right now, if Mike Wallace really was a top 5 receiver, teams would be all over him trying to get him signed and not really caring about giving up the draft pick. A top 5 receiver is a sure thing, Mike Wallace can't beat double coverage unless he is running deep or catching a bubble screen.

How many stories have you read about him actually visiting other teams? Is anybody even calling?

Stop deluding yourself because he plays for our team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Still think The Bengals are a threat...it's win win, They gain a top wideout and hurt the steelers in one move...

While the Bengals are a possible threat, I cant see Mike Brown paying a lot for Wallace, when they are going to have to pony up for Dalton and Green in a few years.

The Bengals are cheap and have a lot of their own guys to sign.

TRH
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
some speculation this morning on ESPN if Manning does indeed go to SF, look for them to make a serious run at signing Wallace.
Will have to wait it out for Manning's decision first.

kan_t
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
some speculation this morning on ESPN if Manning does indeed go to SF, look for them to make a serious run at signing Wallace.
Will have to wait it out for Manning's decision first.
I'm not worry about the 49ers. The real threat is Broncos if Manning picks them IMO.

Millers the sh!t
03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Only 10? I can name a bunch more that are better all-around receivers than the very fast two-trick pony (deep balls and bubble screens). You want to talk about the system a receiver plays in, have you seen the 'Mike Wallace is fast' system?

The names you mentioned:
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Greg Jennings

And the following:
Jordy Nelson
Roddy White
Dwayne Bowe (for sure)
Stevie Johnson
Percy Harvin
Screw age. Heck, I bet we could get a better one more year out of Steve Smith than we will get out of Mike Wallace if we can't sign him for longer than one.

And that's not even getting to the much younger guys that have more potential to grow than Wallace.

Torrey Smith
Julio Jones
AJ Green

I would also add Brandon Wallace and Santonio Holmes to that list, but they are too much of a headcase.

That's 13 guys who I feel are better than Mike Wallace right now, and that's not even really delving into the crop of receivers across the league.

I am telling you right now, if Mike Wallace really was a top 5 receiver, teams would be all over him trying to get him signed and not really caring about giving up the draft pick. A top 5 receiver is a sure thing, Mike Wallace can't beat double coverage unless he is running deep or catching a bubble screen.

How many stories have you read about him actually visiting other teams? Is anybody even calling?

Nice!

SteelBlaze1
03-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Manning is going to Denver...so I guess they are now on the table for getting Wallace.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Manning just signed or is sgning with the Broncos. Now from reports out there, people felt if they did this, it could lead to a Wallace signing as the PATS and 49ers filled their positions.
Broncs probably have the cap room to make an offer, not sure if it could be big enough to take out our interest in signing Wallace.

Im shocked Manning went to the Broncs over the 49ers. Hopefully Smith grows balls and goes to the fins after being dissed just to stick it a bit to Harbough.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7709195/2012-nfl-free-agency-peyton-manning-picks-denver-broncos-tim-tebow-traded

SteelMusic
03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
It looks like Peyton Manning is going to Denver. With plenty of cap space left do you think they will try to sign Mike Wallace?

JCPsteelers
03-19-2012, 11:39 AM
i doubt the Broncos will sign Wallace. They already have Thomas who's fast. They need a route runner to play the slot. Wallace really isn't that type of a guy

GMU Steeler
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
i doubt the Broncos will sign Wallace. They already have Thomas who's fast. They need a route runner to play the slot. Wallace really isn't that type of a guy

Yeah I think so. Besides the question is does Wallace really want to go to Denver too? I mean certainly he would if they offered him insane money but Denver's not like NE or SF who were in the running for him. I think he stays here one more year.

kan_t
03-19-2012, 11:41 AM
I still think that Wallace will stay. But if the Broncos take him away, I'm happy to receive their #25.

StainlessStill
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm not shocked he picked Denver. I was in the minority on NFL.COM when I picked the Broncos for him to land over the 9'ers and Titans. From the time he met with Elway, it looks like Elway always had a hold on the entire Manning process while others tried to pry that away.

I can see the 9'ers making a play for Wallace or possibly Denver giving Manning his deep threat.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 11:45 AM
I agree, I dont think he will leave.

Broncs have 27million or had, minus if they signed anyone else beside the QB who will get hurt making his way to the huddle.

Wt 5 years for 95million. There has to be a 1st year hit thats sizable. Manning isnt leaving much on the table if he cant take a hit. Add Saturday to the mix as the Center, and that money is going to be spent quick.

To swipe him from the steelers its not going to be the signing bonus, its going to be the 1st year money. 10-4million to block the steelers, plus they will have to add in the signing bonus which you know will be at least 2-3 million a year over the life of the contract. Its way to costly for them tosign Wallace plus the #1. Doubtful

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
49ers have to much WR's now and no QB who can throw the long ball. There is no point in having a guy who can run 60 yards down field, and QB who cant throw it 40 yards. At the 30 yard mark is where Wallace breaks away. Smith sucks and can;t reach it.

Broncs could, but I dont think they will waste that kind of cap room for Wallace that they will need to block the Steelers from bringing him back.

Steelersfan87
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM

The names you mentioned:
Calvin Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Greg Jennings

And the following:
Jordy Nelson
Roddy White
Dwayne Bowe (for sure)
Stevie Johnson
Percy Harvin

Torrey Smith
Julio Jones
AJ Green

This is just hilarious. How many restricted free agents go around having visits with other teams like normal, unrestricted free agents? None? Oh yeah, that's right.

You think Jordy Nelson, Steve Johnson, Percy Harvin, and Roddy White are better than Mike Wallace, so I'm noy concerned with your misguided opinions, nor your arrogance to insinuate that my evaluation of the player is tied to my fondness for the team he plays for.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh good God, I didn't even think about that! I figured we were in good shape with NE and SF likely out of the running. It wouldn't shock me now that you say that; him and Manning could do some serious work together. Fingers crossed on this NOT happening.

California-Steel
03-19-2012, 11:53 AM
If course, the Broncos aren't done building their team in free agency. No matter what they give Manning, there's still money in the salary cap kitty to spend. And as Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said last Friday, there are some interesting options out there.

"If I get Peyton Manning and it's a healthy Peyton Manning, I'm thinking Super Bowl," Mayock said. "From my perspective, the first thing I would do is I would try to make Mike Wallace from the Pittsburgh Steelers a very wealthy young man. He's a restricted free agent so I would have to give up my first-round pick, but my first-round pick is only No. 25. I would be happy to give up No. 25 and then I would get after Mike Wallace, try to put together a deal with him.

"After that, remember that [tight end] Dallas Clark — Peyton's old teammate — is out there as a free agent; it wouldn't cost me anything. I would be trying to augment my offensive firepower because Peyton is used to dealing with an average defense; Denver's defense is fine. I'd be really just getting everybody I could get on the offensive side of the ball and say, 'OK, Peyton, it's up to you to win a Super Bowl. Let's go.'"

The Broncos aren't there just yet, but they have scored a major victory on paper. Now, it's time to fill it all in.

TRH
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I really thought it would be Tennessee.

Here's what would be FUNNY as hell. If Alex Smith, who just pretty much got screwed by SF in their "manning" pursuit, signed with Miami (who he met with over the weekend). Now THAT would be hilarious, leaving SF quarterback-less.

StainlessStill
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
49ers have to much WR's now and no QB who can throw the long ball. There is no point in having a guy who can run 60 yards down field, and QB who cant throw it 40 yards. At the 30 yard mark is where Wallace breaks away. Smith sucks and can;t reach it.

Broncs could, but I dont think they will waste that kind of cap room for Wallace that they will need to block the Steelers from bringing him back.

I disagree. In fact, I think the go-route is the NFL quarterback's favorite selection and easiest throw on the field simply because all you have to do is air the ball out and give your wideout a chance at the play. If anything, it's reversed. The go-route, over the shoulder catch is the hardest route to complete IMHO for a WR.

Sorry, but you don't get picked #1 overall at QB in 2005 if you can't throw the ball 40 yards. The 9'ers didn't have a deep threat. If they snag Wallace, they now have two, ala Moss. As I said, Smith is good for a few bombs downfield and leaving it up to his WR's to make the play.

StainlessStill
03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Even without the signing of Manning, the Broncos were the last girl at the party for Wallace. Now WITH Manning, I can see Wallace going now about 80%.

LVSteelersfan
03-19-2012, 12:00 PM
If course, the Broncos aren't done building their team in free agency. No matter what they give Manning, there's still money in the salary cap kitty to spend. And as Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said last Friday, there are some interesting options out there.

"If I get Peyton Manning and it's a healthy Peyton Manning, I'm thinking Super Bowl," Mayock said. "From my perspective, the first thing I would do is I would try to make Mike Wallace from the Pittsburgh Steelers a very wealthy young man. He's a restricted free agent so I would have to give up my first-round pick, but my first-round pick is only No. 25. I would be happy to give up No. 25 and then I would get after Mike Wallace, try to put together a deal with him.

"After that, remember that [tight end] Dallas Clark — Peyton's old teammate — is out there as a free agent; it wouldn't cost me anything. I would be trying to augment my offensive firepower because Peyton is used to dealing with an average defense; Denver's defense is fine. I'd be really just getting everybody I could get on the offensive side of the ball and say, 'OK, Peyton, it's up to you to win a Super Bowl. Let's go.'"

The Broncos aren't there just yet, but they have scored a major victory on paper. Now, it's time to fill it all in.

OMG, the Dream Team. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

No one knows if Manning is going to last past training camp, never mind leading the team to the promised land. He only led the Colts to the promised land one time with one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Don't know what all the hype is over an aging, injured QB. If they are stupid enough to give Wallace a ton of money AND give up their first round pick, more power to them. At least they are not the effin Patriots. And we get two picks in the first round to shore up our Oline and possibly get that ILB or punter (:flap: :flap: :flap: :flap:) that we need.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Smiths sucks. Just because your selected high doesnt equate to having a deep arm, or knowing where the ball is going when you air it out. The guy has had 1 year of good football since 2005. What does that equate too?

At the end of the day you need to know where its going.

Darthslayrr
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Back to back picks in the first round seems likely.

LVSteelersfan
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Tebow to the 49ers??? That would be hilarious if Smith went to Miami and Tebow went to San Fran.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Without Manning? Broncos didnt meet the Wallace criteria of having a great QB. As much as I like Tebow, he is yet another one that can not air it out and know where it is going.

I dont think the broncs will have the needed cap space to sign Wallace and block the Steelers. That is a lot of first ear money and they have other needs. Its not exactly like their Oline is the best in the league. Manning needs protection more than he needs Wallace at this point.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 12:09 PM
No way Tebow goes to the 49ers. He may be worse than Smith and thats not saying anything for either of the 2.
Tebow would be more likely to go to the Fins and Smith will put on his skirt and crawl back to Harbough.

Lady Steel
03-19-2012, 12:29 PM
I dont think the broncs will have the needed cap space to sign Wallace and block the Steelers.

Hines Ward is available.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Who said Dream team?lol

Broncos lack quite a bit. They are in a soft division, that is what make it appealing for Manning. He knows even if he isnt his full self, he is playing agaisnt the bottom feeders of the NFL.

If he goes the the titans he has Houston twice a year. To the fins or Jets he has the Pats twice a year. Goes to play in the lowly AFC West, he can make the playoffs at 6-8.

Steel_Bus_24
03-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Who said Dream team?lol

Broncos lack quite a bit. They are in a soft division, that is what make it appealing for Manning. He knows even if he isnt his full self, he is playing agaisnt the bottom feeders of the NFL.

If he goes the the titans he has Houston twice a year. To the fins or Jets he has the Pats twice a year. Goes to play in the lowly AFC West, he can make the playoffs at 6-8.

I bet the chargers stifle his ass again though and sweep them

Fire Arians
03-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I bet the chargers stifle his ass again though and sweep them

the chargers have always seemed to give the colts fits for some odd reason

MDSteel15
03-19-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not shocked he picked Denver. I was in the minority on NFL.COM when I picked the Broncos for him to land over the 9'ers and Titans. From the time he met with Elway, it looks like Elway always had a hold on the entire Manning process while others tried to pry that away.

I can see the 9'ers making a play for Wallace or possibly Denver giving Manning his deep threat.

Who says Manning will be able to throw a long ball? :chuckle:

StainlessStill
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM

The 5-year, 95 million dollar contract-more than likely, haha. I believe Peyton will be fine. Just the matter of learning the system (which should be no problem for the games most smartest player possibly ever) and getting in football shape. He still has all off-season to get the proper medical attention and rehab he'll need.

TRH
03-19-2012, 02:03 PM

They say at the workout session (can't remember if it was the Broncos or Titans) that he was throwing perfect 48-yard in-air strikes to running receivers doing routes.

MACH1
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
They say at the workout session (can't remember if it was the Broncos or Titans) that he was throwing perfect 48-yard in-air strikes to running receivers doing routes.

Let see how well he throws after getting hit a few times and how well his neck holds up.

stb_steeler
03-19-2012, 02:39 PM
A few hits to Peyton and its all for not! I dont believe he has the type of injury that you can just overcome, with age against him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I think either SF or Denver could take a shot at Wallace. I'd be fine with getting either one of their picks this year, as I doubt the Steelers are going to pay Wallace $10mil a season in 2013 and he will move on anyways.

LVSteelersfan
03-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Who said Dream team?lol

Dream Team was a JOKE, hence the :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: guys right behind that statement.

3rdandlong
03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Something tells me Denver is going to make an offer to Wallace. I'm more than happy to give them Wallace and we get their 1st rounder.

Wallace's forte is going deep. Ben missed Wallace more than he hit him on the deep pass. It's definitely not his strength.

We're already pretty good at WR. I'd like to see us get a NT, ILB, or offensive lineman with 2 1st round picks. In the long run we're better off doing that than keeping Wallace.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
LVSteeler, sorry bud, those little lluaghing chaps red x'ed out on my screen, lol

--------------

3rd and long: So now the long ball isnt Bens strenght so we can let Wallace go.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Is there an excuse hat someplace? I"m always looking for excue and home and would love some new creative ones. Of course I want ones that people won't look at me like I"m a nut, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Whats funny is the media and some here, want the Steelers to lose just to get the "i told you so" excuses. The media just want to whack the Steeelrs because more times than not the Steeler way works out.

Me, I just want to sign Wallace and I'll be pissed if he is elsehwere, especially with that egotisical POS Elway.

TRH
03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Pats just signed WR Dante Stallworth to a 1-year contract too

DJJorel
03-19-2012, 04:18 PM
So...if the Broncos have very little cap room left, it might work in the favor of the Steelers. I now hope that they make some dumb, low-ball offer....so the Steelers can match it and keep Wallace!

Anything over 9mil a year and Denver can have him. Good receivers are becoming a dime a dozen....

Steelersfan87
03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
It would be a good idea to keep in mind that the Steelers only have Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders locked up at WR for this year.

Ricco Suavez
03-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Something tells me Denver is going to make an offer to Wallace. I'm more than happy to give them Wallace and we get their 1st rounder.

Wallace's forte is going deep. Ben missed Wallace more than he hit him on the deep pass. It's definitely not his strength.

We're already pretty good at WR. I'd like to see us get a NT, ILB, or offensive lineman with 2 1st round picks. In the long run we're better off doing that than keeping Wallace.

Ben and Wallace are in second place with 10 TDs of 40+ yards in only three seasons. Peyton and Wayne lead the league with 12. Seems he hooks up pretty good on the long ball. Now whether you want to place the success of this tandem on Ben's arm or Wallace's speed and catch or because Arians dialed up the bomb more than usual, makes no difference to me. It just appears to me that there has been some success at the long ball.

tony hipchest
03-19-2012, 04:33 PM
So...if the Broncos have very little cap room left, it might work in the favor of the Steelers. I now hope that they make some dumb, low-ball offer....so the Steelers can match it and keep Wallace!

Anything over 9mil a year and Denver can have him. Good receivers are becoming a dime a dozen....denver has 40 mil in cap space. they can write mannings contract to be whatever cap hit they want for this season.

It would be a good idea to keep in mind that the Steelers only have Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders locked up at WR for this year. that still wont let teams foce their hand into paying more than what they want to pay. its also a good idea to keep in mind the steelers could have already franchised him for 9.2 mil and not have to worry about any of this mess.

tony hipchest
03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
"torrey smith" :sofunny:

he was drafted as the poor mans mike wallace.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Well Thomas only proved he was faster than Ike and our othe DB's. I'm not sure sure he is a speed burner. But when you go up against loufers in a game you certainly look fast.

Steelersfan87
03-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Actually it's perfectly reasonable that the Steelers would pay more than they want to pay. They want to pay $2.7 million. Would they match a $7 million a year contract? Maybe. Do they want to pay that? Probably not. They didn't franchise him not because it was absolutely impossible, but because it would be much more helpful if they could get him at $2.7 million for this year, taking the gamble that a first round pick will be enough protection, which it pretty much always is.

StainlessStill
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Thomas didn't show he was faster than Ike. They didn't line up at the goaline and run wind-sprints. That WC game was just a result of a much more broader and physical Thomas out-positioning Ike and gaining leverage on him to the point of exhaustion. Next time we face Denver, safety over the top, please!

lipps83
03-19-2012, 05:24 PM
This is just hilarious. How many restricted free agents go around having visits with other teams like normal, unrestricted free agents? None? Oh yeah, that's right.

Obviously not as much as an unrestricted player, but if other organizations thought he was a top 5 guy, they wouldn't be afraid of giving up the pick. The Pats had two picks and the cap room to get a future hall of famer, they signed a couple lower tiered guys instead.

You think Jordy Nelson, Steve Johnson, Percy Harvin, and Roddy White are better than Mike Wallace, so I'm noy concerned with your misguided opinions, nor your arrogance to insinuate that my evaluation of the player is tied to my fondness for the team he plays for.

I absolutely feel that they are better ALL-AROUND receivers. They may not be as fast or as exciting as Wallace but they get the job done too. You don't think following the Steelers has anything to do with how you feel about a player? You weren't screaming how awesome Wallace and how happy you were he was a Steeler when he had that 96 yard touchdown? What did you think of Welker's 99 yard grab? Did you even shrug your shoulders and say "he got lucky"?

I am not arguing with you that Wallace is not good, because it is evident he is. I do however think some of the praise he gets is absurd. His name does not belong up there with the two Johnson's or Fitzgerald especially, those who can do anything they want to on the football field. Wallace has two plays that sum him up.

I do hope a team out there picks him up, I would love to have the extra pick and cap room to sign Brown to a long term deal.

Manning can get the ball to Wallace in Denver.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
The money they have will quickly get eaten up or put forth to next year.

Broncos have a bunch of holes.

QB1 QB2, RB, TE, C, OL. not to mention they are talking to a NT and a safety right now as well.

Manning isnt going to get a boat load of a signing bonus than have vets min. Those antics the commish has halted. He is going to count significantly against the cap as he will want a big ass pay day when he finds out his neck cant take a hit and has to retire. In addition, its highly doubtful an insurance company will underwrite anything guarrantteed against injury for him so he will want some significant upfront dough.

They will have to front load a Wallace deal against 2012 cap, of at least 12-16million to be sure the Steelers won't sign him. Thats not a signing bonus, thats year 1 cap hit.

This is not a 1 year rebuild for this team. They only bright spot they have is they play in a shit ass division, which is why Manning went there.

tony hipchest
03-19-2012, 05:29 PM
the pats also will have brady throw for 5000+ yds with manny, moe, and jack on the roster.

i thought they should go for wallace just to see him get 2000+ yds.

Steelersfan87
03-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Has anybody ever given up a first round pick for a wide receiver as a restricted free agent on top of a large contract? The only examples of restricted free agent wide receiver signings I can think of are Brandon Marshall and Wes Welker, and neither of them cost their new team a first round pick, while Welker was traded for. Most elite wide receivers are typically first round picks, who receive contracts that extend beyond their "restricted" period, so it's hard to say what would have happened with other players. Nor is there such a historically deep free agency class as it had been this year. If Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, Steve Johnson, Randy Moss, Pierre Garcon, Mario Manningham, Eddie Royal, Brandon Lloyd, and several others had not all simultaneously been free agents (and throw in the Marshall trade as well), in a year in which the overall salary cap was less than anticipated, it's certainly possible Wallace would have received more attention up to this point than he has. Marshall wasn't signed until mid-April, by the way. Restricted free agents, if they receive any attention at all, are usually focused on in April when the unrestricted free agent class dwindles.

Do you realize that his first 3 seasons are statistically remarkable, on a base, factual level? That the pace of his production thus far in his career lines up exceptionally well with absolutely great players? While I agree with you that "some of the praise he gets is absurd", and he has faults in his game (all players do, believe it or not), my point was that some of the criticism he gets is equally absurd. And it's obvious that so much of it is spawned out of the fear that the team may lose him.

3rdandlong
03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
LVSteeler, sorry bud, those little lluaghing chaps red x'ed out on my screen, lol

--------------

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Is there an excuse hat someplace? I"m always looking for excue and home and would love some new creative ones. Of course I want ones that people won't look at me like I"m a nut, lol

Ben and the Steelers had their best offensive seasons without Wallace. I'm talking about putting up points, not just yards. This isn't to say Wallace is a hindrance, but that we can do well on offense without him. Building a better offensive line is key. If we can get a 1st round pick for Wallace this year, I'm happy with that. Were probably going to have to part without him next year anyway, he'll probably want too much money.

Steel95
03-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Heard this afternoon that Denver will try and make a move for Mike Wallace now that Peyton has signed with Denver. Sounds somewhat legit; they need weapons on the outside, they have the 25th pick in the draft, just 1 behind the Steelers. I'm not buying it though, I think Mike returns for 1 year then departs for good.

3rdandlong
03-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Assume we have the 24,25th picks, who shoud we draft, assuming they fall to us? Or should we take one of those picks and move up to draft a stud? I don't know anything about college players so I'm curious what our options are

ShutDown24
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Got a link?

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Your heard it, eh?

You must be pretty well connected, because every news agency in the USA would love to stick it to the Steelers even their own in Pittsburgh.
So, highly doubtful you heard anything yet other than that ringing in your ears that just won't go away.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Unfortunately it wont be high enough to grab the covetted NT unless we trade up to get him. With out needs, probably doubtful we would trade up.

So I would take the Hightower. Than package the other #1 and trade down a bit and grab another 2nd and take our OL's for the future, unless there is a stud out there that can help us immediately. But I think there will be quite a bit of bdders for 1 of our picks. But I would prefer to yeild 2 starters out of both #1's if I'm letting Wallace go.

Atlanta Dan
03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Got a link?

Pretty much the usual suspects blogging from their basement

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/3/19/2885117/steelers-free-agency-2012-mike-wallace-denver-broncos

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1111152-never-mind-the-steelers-bid-to-retain-mike-wallace-harmed-by-manning-to-denver

PhantomJB93
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't believe this for a second. They've got their receivers in Decker and Thomas (I know, not the greatest corps ever but even with Tebow they were above average and Peyton will do just fine with them.) They're going to give a lot of money to Peyton, and they're probably going to make a play for Saturday and Dallas Clark before they consider pushing for Mike. Pretty sure this was just speculation.

ETL
03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I know Mike Wallace is a big name and Denver really has nobody like Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne - but I don't think Wallace is a good fit for Manning ... mostly because I think Wallace had yet to develop into a full WR.

If anything, I think Antonio Brown is a better fit than Wallace for Peyton Manning.

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 06:38 PM
The first round pick is more valuable now, than Mike Wallace's contributions for another year, in my opinion. If Wallace's intentions are to leave next year, and it's not just the media fueling that image, i'd take the deal.

tanda10506
03-19-2012, 06:43 PM
The first round pick is more valuable now, than Mike Wallace's contributions for another year, in my opinion. If Wallace's intentions are to leave next year, and it's not just the media fueling that image, i'd take the deal.

Agreed, but there have been plenty of 1st round busts, we need to lock up Wallace. I have my doubts about Denver going for him, but it's not out of the question. As you said, if Wallace is just going to stay for a year and then be gone then IMO he's not worth whatever we give him, as I said, the Steelers need to make a deal with him long term or unload him this year.

ETL
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Nice hedge. (seriously) I'll keep on saying what you think and maybe I won't feel so bad when Wallace leaves for Denver.

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 06:46 PM
LB, OL-OT.

tanda10506
03-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Depends on who's ready to play. If there are two starting quality O lineman, especially guards, snatch them up. If there is only one, get him and look for an ILB.

tanda10506
03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Denver hasn't contacted Wallace, let's take it easy

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Agreed, but there have been plenty of 1st round busts, we need to lock up Wallace. I have my doubts about Denver going for him, but it's not out of the question. As you said, if Wallace is just going to stay for a year and then be gone then IMO he's not worth whatever we give him, as I said, the Steelers need to make a deal with him long term or unload him this year.

Definitely. We need to lock him up now if we're going to, but he doesn't budge, chances are that won't change next year. If this is the case, i'd be hoping for someone to make an offer so we can get the first round pick in return. Something is better than nothing.

tanda10506
03-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Definitely. We need to lock him up now if we're going to, but he doesn't budge, chances are that won't change next year. If this is the case, i'd be hoping for someone to make an offer so we can get the first round pick in return. Something is better than nothing.

How do you know if he budges or what he's asking though? There hasn't been any numbers spoke of or any current comments from Wallace or his agent.

LVSteelersfan
03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
A punter and a kicker no doubt. We could use both. (and if anyone takes that seriously, you have no idea what sarcasm is)

PhantomJB93
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
You still have to go BPA and I don't believe trading up or down is an option in this draft. I would imagine one of the picks instantly becomes Hightower as he will probably be BPA and apparently the Steelers became more impressed by him at his Pro Day. Other pick would probably be Oline unless everyone is gone (unfortunately I think this will be the case), in which case I would guess it would be either Ta'amu (a bit of a reach) or Mark Barron (a better prospect but a lesser need).

As much as I don't want to trust Brown and Sanders as our only top two receivers heading into the season, I trust any receiver in the first two rounds not named Blackmon or Floyd even less.

TRH
03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Denver hasn't contacted Wallace, let's take it easy

Do we know that for sure? None of us have spoken to Wallace's agent so anything's possible and Peyton just committed this morning.
Do they have the cap room for Wallace and others after Peyton's reported $95 million payday?

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes in the Steeler offices between them and Wallace's agent, but you would think we would have inked something by now. The more we wait, the more the WR price is going up, up, and up and Wallace isn't going to sign for peanuts "just to stay with Pittsurgh". Won't happen. The push and decision will be 90% agent.
Man, we don't even have rumors at this point. It's getting frustrating. Someone will likely come in and put a big offer on the table while we do nothing. Don't be surprised if SF (if they can make amends with and sign Alex Smith) comes calling for Wallace now that Manning's gone.

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
How do you know if he budges or what he's asking though? There hasn't been any numbers spoke of or any current comments from Wallace or his agent.

Well, it just seems to me, based on his actions, that he's interesting in the money at stake. Players that wanted to come back let it be known quite fast, and Antonio Brown strikes me as a player who would do that pretty quickly himself. Wallace on the other hand hasn't spoke much about it at all, and when he has, it was an article I remember that had a very "farewell" tone to it that had quite a lot of fan's worried.

This whole Wallace situation just strikes me as a hyped young gun receiver looking to cash in, and not a talented receiver looking to cement a legacy. I just have a feeling that if we don't sign him to a deal this off-season, he'll have green flying at him next year from around the league and will be on the first flight out of the Burgh.

TRH
03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
The money they have will quickly get eaten up or put forth to next year.

Broncos have a bunch of holes.

QB1 QB2, RB, TE, C, OL. not to mention they are talking to a NT and a safety right now as well.

Manning isnt going to get a boat load of a signing bonus than have vets min. Those antics the commish has halted. He is going to count significantly against the cap as he will want a big ass pay day when he finds out his neck cant take a hit and has to retire. In addition, its highly doubtful an insurance company will underwrite anything guarrantteed against injury for him so he will want some significant upfront dough.

They will have to front load a Wallace deal against 2012 cap, of at least 12-16million to be sure the Steelers won't sign him. Thats not a signing bonus, thats year 1 cap hit.

This is not a 1 year rebuild for this team. They only bright spot they have is they play in a shit ass division, which is why Manning went there.

The contract they're working on for Manning is 5 yr - $95 million

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 07:40 PM
This isn't to say Wallace is a hindrance? LOL
Come on... Why bring it up, if your not trying to imply it.

Pounding the indequate RB 4 times from 4th and less than yard ishardly Wallaces fault. Having your QB get hit 100 a times a year is not Wallaces fault.

MACH1
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Lets try to keep the Wallace updates, speculation in one place.
No need to have ten new threads on the same thing everyday.

ETL
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
what makes this thread "official"?

MACH1
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
what makes this thread "official"?

42 pages of the same.

Oh and because I said it was. :wink02:

tony hipchest
03-19-2012, 08:04 PM
:iagree:

Steelersfan87
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Lets try to keep the Wallace updates, speculation in one place.
No need to have ten new threads on the same thing everyday.

:iagree:

This.

LVSteelersfan
03-19-2012, 08:53 PM

--------------

No problem. I found it hilarious they were calling the Eagles the dream team last year. Now on NFL Network there is a poll on Manning's impact to the Broncos. Almost 70% are saying they will win the Super Bowl next year. Talk about a bunch of retards.

TRH
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
i wish we'd get a hint or something about what (if anything) is going on............

this is frustrating.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow 50/50 on Wallace here. The same 50% of you will blame Ben if the WR's tae a step back. the same 50% will blame Brown for being a flash in the pants when Wallace isnt there to pull the Db's back. Interesting.

Steelers rarely lose players they want to keep. If they do lose players most of the time they are pretty much done with their careers.
A side from Smith and Ward the Steelers rarely play the loyalty card and give money away.

ETL
03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
42 pages of the same.

Oh and because I said it was. :wink02:

No prob Mod. I was confused when I first saw your post as it seemed to the be start of a new thread.

I wonder if Crotchery is waiting to see what happens with Wallace. If Wallace is gone, I can see him be a starter on this team with A. Brown as opposed to the #3 or #4 guy with wallace still on the team.

Bayz101
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Great call on the thread merging, Mach. Was thinking of doing it myself earlier today but something came up.

With the Mike Wallace drama being Pittsburgh's constant off-season development, new threads keep pouring in. Post all articles and discussion pertaining to Mike Wallace and his off-season development's here.

zcoop
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Exactly! This cat acts as if the ball is in Wallace's court now. The team has the ball now and has to declare it's intentions before Wallace can respond. We'll see how it plays out in the next few days.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Yea Cotchery is waiting for the Steeler cash because the money is worth more? Or Greener?LOL I"m sure his phone is ringing none stop daily.

He will take the dough when someone offers him something. The Wallace situation won't play out till April 20th unless someone offers him a deal sooner.

mesaSteeler
03-20-2012, 08:44 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Monday, March 19, 2012
Why I don't see a team making a run at Wallace

Now that Peyton Manning has chosen the Denver Broncos as his final destination, speculation has begun about the Broncos or 49ers making a pitch to Steelers restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

I don't see it happening in either case.

The Broncos already have a decent young receiving corps as the Steelers found out the hard way in the playoffs. If Demaryious Thomas and Eric Decker could make Tim Tebow look good at times, imagine how they will do with Manning.

And the more important rumor is that Manning would like to bring tight end Dallas Clark along with him from Indianapolis. That makes a lot more sense.

The Broncos could then spend their remaining cap space to beef up their defensive line, which is a weakness.

As for San Francisco, the 49ers can add all the receivers in the world, but right now, they don't have a quarterback. That's a little more important.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but even if it does, the Steelers will work hard to match the offer. They're not going to allow Wallace to walk.

Kingmagyar
03-20-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree with all your points but when people on this forum say the Steelers won't allow Mike Wallace to walk, that quite frankly is delusional BS. If a team really wants Mike Wallace and makes him an offer I am sure they are smart enough to structure it in a way that would keep the Steelers from mathematically matching it. I'm not sure the Steelers even want to match it. They would rather have the extra #1 then pay a WR 10 million a year.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-20-2012, 09:11 AM
No one will avg Wallace 10mill per year. Its the year 1 front load that will prohibit the Steelers from signing him, and to pay Wallace a cap value of 12-16million for the 1 year of the contract, AND give up a #1 isnt going to happen.

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Bob Smizik is reviving the Wallace to Denver rumors

The strongest speculation came from NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock:

``I would make an offer that Pittsburgh would have a lot of trouble matching for Mike Wallace,” Mayock said. ``I’d be happy to give up my first-round pick, and I’d make that young man a rich, rich young man. And I’d have a vertical threat to go along with Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas — I might look at Dallas Clark. You’ve made a commitment to Peyton Manning. Now let’s go get him the weapons.’’

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/32326-denver-may-be-wallace-suitor

TRH
03-20-2012, 11:30 AM
No matter how you look at.....Wallace, barring some kind of crazy injury....is going to get PAID....and paid ALOT of money, No question.

stiller39
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Wallace could end up staying with us this year for the tendered offer as the Cap will raise next year and he could make some serious bank. However, the Stiller could franchise him next year. We may get 2 more years out of him and then he will make some money via free agency.

OX1947
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
My only thing is, if the Steelers do not plan on overpaying for him next year, then my hope is someone gets him now. Steelers first rounders have owned the last 12 years. Getting an extra one would only enhance the talent the steelers need in problem areas.

Antonio Brown is a #1 type caliber receiver, so it wouldn't be that big of a hit. Sanders looked good at the end of the season after his injury and mother's death. Someone like Cotchery as a 3rd is perfect and then Health Miller is still there. Steelers would be fine.

Steelersfan87
03-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Two things. First, we don't know if Antonio Brown is a #1 receiver yet, because he hasn't been one. He's always had the advantage of having Wallace drawing attention from him up to this point, so we can't speculate that he would perform at the same level if the Steelers lose Wallace. Second, it's hard to "overpay" for a legitimate #1 receiver today. The fact of the matter is that #1 receivers get PAID in this era of the game. So unless you're talking Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald money, what would be overpaying for Wallace is well within the parameters of debate. He's not Pierre Garcon, after all. It doesn't appear that he will receive a long-term contract this season, so he has one more year to make his case for a Vincent Jackson-type contract. I know it's fun to say things like it's not "the Steelers way", but their way has changed quite a bit over the past two decades. They used to let players walk all the time in the early era of the salary cap. Now they rarely do, which is why James Harrison, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, and Casey Hampton are still here. Sure, they have a history of letting receivers walk during that time period, but none of them were either as productive, had similar potential, and/or had the comparatively level-headed character that Wallace has. Does that mean Wallace is a really smart guy or a really cerebral player? No, but he's not exceedingly cocky, and he doesn't get in trouble. I can absolutely see the team paying him somewhere between DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson numbers next year if this season goes as projected.

zcoop
03-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Two things. First, we don't know if Antonio Brown is a #1 receiver yet, because he hasn't been one. He's always had the advantage of having Wallace drawing attention from him up to this point, so we can't speculate that he would perform at the same level if the Steelers lose Wallace. Second, it's hard to "overpay" for a legitimate #1 receiver today. The fact of the matter is that #1 receivers get PAID in this era of the game. So unless you're talking Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald money, what would be overpaying for Wallace is well within the parameters of debate. He's not Pierre Garcon, after all. It doesn't appear that he will receive a long-term contract this season, so he has one more year to make his case for a Vincent Jackson-type contract. I know it's fun to say things like it's not "the Steelers way", but their way has changed quite a bit over the past two decades. They used to let players walk all the time in the early era of the salary cap. Now they rarely do, which is why James Harrison, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, and Casey Hampton are still here. Sure, they have a history of letting receivers walk during that time period, but none of them were either as productive, had similar potential, and/or had the comparatively level-headed character that Wallace has. Does that mean Wallace is a really smart guy or a really cerebral player? No, but he's not exceedingly cocky, and he doesn't get in trouble. I can absolutely see the team paying him somewhere between DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson numbers next year if this season goes as projected.

I don't understand the hoopla about us paying Wallace especially when we're paying a TE 6.6 mil/yr. At some point we're going to have to pony up the money for a WR. We haven't done that since Hines was signed long term. Wallace has proven his worth to this team and deserves to be treated with respect. I don't think we should break the bank but we're gonna get what we pay for.

It is what it is in this league. Every winning team has locked down on a WR or two, we've got to cut the shit.

ETL
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
Guys on NFL.com like Charlie Casserly are saying that Wallace would NOT be a good fit for Denver and they don't see Denver going after Wallace.

To them, it is worth giving up the 25th pick for Wallace but what is not worth it is the contract that they need to pay him. Even though Denver has cap space, a lot of that just went to Manning and they don't think it is worth locking up a ton of space for just one WR. If anything, they need to shore up their defense because they will play a whole different brand of football with Manning - not so run oriented and playing with a lead - i.e. - they need better pass defense.

kan_t
03-22-2012, 03:56 AM
Bengals' Caldwell has signed with the Broncos and Broncos' DT Bunkley has signed with the Saints.

The Broncos are likely out of the Wallace market now. I don't see them giving up a first round pick for another WR instead of addressing the needs to their defense.

tunes4life
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow! No wonder the Steelers haven't offered up any contracts. Has his head outgrown his ability?!? If this is true Wallace will be a Steeler this year and then gone for sure next year. Bummer! :doh:

Bye bye first round pick

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/55993/report-wallace-wants-more-than-fitzgerald

TRH
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1115123-nfl-rumors-mike-wallaces-lofty-demands-will-force-him-to-remain-with-steelers

Well.....i guess it looks like its official. Unbelieveable. I knew it and called it. Not only does Wallace want "Fitzerald" type of money...he wants MORE than Fitzgerald (who, by the way, we all know he's waaaaaaaaay overpaid, getting nearly elite QB type money and is basically holding down that franchse). Thats right. He wants MORE.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out as he's not even earned that right yet. Apparently, every other team has told him to go take a flying leap.

Not only (as we've discussed) has Wallace's head grown too big for his shoulders, it's also in the clouds. No, make that the stratosphere. Wow.

MACH1
03-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Wallace can wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which fills up first.

Wallace is not in Fitz's class.

TRH
03-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Wallace can wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which fills up first.

Wallace is not in Fitz's class.

I mean, even Fitzerald is way, way, way overpaid, really. I would never want to dump that much money into one receiver.
And Wallace wants MORE? Half the blame goes to Wallace, but the other half goes to his agent.
What they'll do is shoot for another galaxy and land on the moon. They'll get something big, but i love how the 49ers (who could've used him and had some money to get him) reportedly told him to get lost.

MACH1
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Overpaid or not Fitz has more skills than Wallace does right now. If i were picking a team I'd pick Fitz over Wallace every time.

StainlessStill
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Good GOD. You know what, I'm about sick of this Wallace talk and him in general. He's seriously asking Larry Fitzgerald money? He may want to look a little more closely at his overall game because other than speed, he has NOTHING. He runs club-footed and runs absolute terrible routes and is completely non-existent in moving the football chains. Larry Fitzgerald will always be 10X the overall WR Wallace would ever be.

I say kick this punk's ass out of the door. Brown is much more worth it next season IMHO. Lets get a #1 for this kid and sign Cotch to a multi-year deal and wipe our hands with this punk. Here's hoping someone dumb enough to offer him a contract comes forward.

TRH
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Good GOD. You know what, I'm about sick of this Wallace talk and him in general. He's seriously asking Larry Fitzgerald money? He may want to look a little more closely at his overall game because other than speed, he has NOTHING. He runs club-footed and runs absolute terrible routes and is completely non-existent in moving the football chains. Larry Fitzgerald will always be 10X the overall WR Wallace would ever be.

I say kick this punk's ass out of the door. Brown is much more worth it next season IMHO. Lets get a #1 for this kid and sign Cotch to a multi-year deal and wipe our hands with this punk. Here's hoping someone dumb enough to offer him a contract comes forward.

yeah, and you know what the funny thing is? He doesn't just want Fitz money....he wants MORE than Fitz

:sofunny:

kan_t
03-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Is Matt Barrows a credible source?

Curtain_of_Steel
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Well the bad part about this, if its true is.

Technically as I have stated before, 1 year RFA, 2 years Franchise tag. He plays here for 3 years 24-25million. Doesn't matter what his demands are. So this position is taken care of.

Whats shocking is, his idiot agent doesn't see this. So are you just pricing yourself out of the market to remain with the Steelers and just try to get a decent long term deal? Or is he being a Ahole thinking he is gods gifts to WR's? No one would pay 120million and a 1.
Again, its purely conjecture and I don't care whats in his head, as long as the ball falls into his hands and his mouth doesn't go ochocinco.

But people here will lamblast him for being egotiscal, greedy etc and than say cut him and send him on his way, lol.He has every right to ask for whatever he wants, just dont let the attitude carry on to the field or let it effect your play, when you don't get it.

bac151rum
03-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Going to have to get my two cents in here.
First of all, there was a report in the San Francisco Bee or some other little newspaper that said this. Certainly didn't come from Wallace, and I'm doubting that it came from the 49ers.
Secondly, if he does want this much from San Fran, doesn't mean that he is asking the same thing from the Steelers. Might just be his price to move, especially from a team thats a perennial Super Bowl contender to a one-year wonder. He's a pro bowl receiver, he deserves to be paid. Not at the expense of bankrupting the team, but some of you think he should be playing for veterans minimum.
Third, if I was Mike Wallace, and I came on this board and read the comments about him, I'd reassess my position about staying with the team. We all like to compare the Steelers to a family. Many of you would never be invited to the family get-togethers.

Wallace is an important cog in our offense. We should do whatever it takes to keep him, short of hurting other parts of our team. He's not average, he's not just any other receiver. I'm not going to rely on "I heard" or "I read someplace" or any of that crap. He's proven himself a Steeler, and instead of relying on rumor and inuendo (which, contrary to popular belief, is not an Italian suppository), I'll wait til the facts come out. Then, if he deserves to be slammed, I will. But until then, Wallace is a Steeler.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Agree Bac....

He has a right to ask for whatever he wants. But here he is tagged at 2.7million and he wanted to go test the waters. Don't come back on 4/21 and say you will hold out. Than things change. You tested the system, the system failed you, sign the tender and hope you get a new deal. But based on owning his ass for 3 years with teh RFA and 2 tagged years, do we really want to sign him longer term yet? I don't, we can sign him long term next year. Its just business Mike, lol

Atlanta Dan
03-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Going to have to get my two cents in here.
First of all, there was a report in the San Francisco Bee or some other little newspaper that said this.

Bob Smizik links to the Sacramento Bee article

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/32355-report-wallace-seeking-fitzgerald-money

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html

This is based on "league sources" which could mean almost anyone

TRH
03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
He does have every right to ask for what he wants. There's reasonable demands, very HIGH demands, and then completely ridiculous, unfounded demands and this certainly sounds like where he is. I'll wait to hear more of this story but stories such as the SF one very rarely tend to be erronous and we almost always find out after the fact that thats exactly what went down.
I'm also getting sick of this as someone else mentioned, i hope the Steelers stay where they are at right now and let him play this year here (or let him go elsewhere) or get some kind of deal done soon. Its becoming a media and fan distraction, something the Steeler organization usually doesn't allow to fester for too long.

One thing you can be absolutely clear on : the Steelers won't play games with his agent for very long. If they can't get a deal done at a reasonable price, they'll allow him to go and they won't look back into the rearview mirror whatsoever.

Fire Arians
03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
i got tha answer to all the mike wallace problems, trade him for tim tebow!

pete74
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
how are we going to tag Wallace when we dont have enough money to sign a backup wr? sure the cap shoots up next year but so does Troy's, Ben's, Woodley's, etc pay. we will drop Hampton but we need to sign Brown, Sanders, Pouncey, etc as well. we wont have the cap room next year to franchise him just like we dont this year

Steelersfan87
03-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Mike Wallace ‏ @Wallace17_daKid
I love when haters hate!!#yadig

Mike Wallace ‏ @Wallace17_daKid
Dnt believe everything u hear!

kan_t
03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Wallace himself has rejected the rumor through twitter already.

PhantomJB93
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah I have a hard time believing that, especially now that he sort of denied it via twitter (didn't directly address it but tweeted "don't believe everything you hear" a little after the story was growing big) I have no problem believing he is asking for more money/longer contract than most of the free agent signings this offseason, but there's no way he'd actually expect to get Fitz/Megatron money.

Deserei90
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
The 49ers Inquired Mike Wallace, But..
Good news for all the 49ers fans clamoring for wide receiver Mike Wallace. The 49ers did indeed make an inquiry about the Steelers restricted free agent during the opening week of free agency. But they and the other teams that asked about Wallace were told the receiver was looking for a lot of money.

How much? A league source said that Wallace, 25, wants a contract that surpasses the eight-year, $120 million deal that Larry Fitzgerald signed last year with the Cardinals. Combine that with the first-round pick any team that signs Wallace to an offer sheet would lose if the Steelers didn't match the offer, and you start to understand why we've heard so little about Wallace in the last week and a half.

That, of course, could change. Teams have another month to sign restricted free agents. But at that price, the 49ers aren't interested, and it's hard to imagine the Patriots, Bengals and Ravens paying that either.

Wallace ranked 11th in receiving yards last season with 1,193 yards, and he scored eight touchdowns. Fitzgerald ranked fourth with 1,411 yards and eight touchdowns. The Steelers placed a first-round tender worth $2.74 million on Wallace. If Wallace signs it, he'll become an unrestricted free agent next season and all 32 teams will be able to bid on him without the fear of losing a draft pick.

Maybe that's his strategy. Calls to Wallace's agent last week and this week have not been returned.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html#storylink=cpy

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not. Mike Wallace did tweet. "Don't believe everything u hear"

Fire Arians
03-22-2012, 04:53 PM
he wants to stay in pittsburgh. he's making himself look like an unattractive option to other teams on purpose.

at least that's what I think/hope.

Deserei90
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
he wants to stay in pittsburgh. he's making himself look like an unattractive option to other teams on purpose.

at least that's what I think/hope. WOW, U could be right. If that's the case, then he's a genius.

Steel_Bus_24
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM

How dare you speak such blasphemous language around here.....Can you not see this arrogant SOB is on a mission to hurt the Steelers organization anyway he can

Since he was drafted its been his sole focus obviously

:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM

ummm...why would he do that ? wallace can turn down any offer from any team. he doesn't have to accept just because they make an offer. if the niners offered him 40 mill for 5 years right now , he can say no thanks and sign the steelers 2.7 tender.. or he can accept and the steelers can match the 5 year , 40 mill...
the fact is , he hasn't signed the tender yet , so he's obviously waiting for a better offer than the 2.7 .
i'm sure he's well aware of the steelers cap situation., and i'm sure he's well aware that next year someone will will most likely make him a better offer than what the steelers will.

TRH
03-22-2012, 05:28 PM
nope......sounds like its in fact the case. I knew a couple weeks ago as soon as i seen what other WR's were getting, i knew he and his agent would be asking for the moon and beyond.
Those that have been saying "oh, he wants to stay here", and "he'll stay here for like 5, 6 million dollars a year" and other foolish statements have their heads completely buried in the sand. The whole thing was pointed this way from the get go. He'll go where he gets the most $$$. Period. End of story.

Do i think he's worth it? No. Do i think he's even earned the right to ask for that much? No. Its comical that him and his agent are asking "elite" QB type money. Its just downright laughable.
I hope the Steelers don't even play this game with Wallace. Last thing you want to do is mortgage the entire franchise for one WR who had some stumbles this year and some "big head" issues. I don't think they will. I hope this draws to end soon and if it means someone else signs him, so be it. But apparently the Steeler fans aren't the only ones laughing. Looks as if the other teams are laughing too (laughing AT him).

Fire Arians
03-22-2012, 05:48 PM
nope......sounds like its in fact the case. I knew a couple weeks ago as soon as i seen what other WR's were getting, i knew he and his agent would be asking for the moon and beyond.
Those that have been saying "oh, he wants to stay here", and "he'll stay here for like 5, 6 million dollars a year" and other foolish statements have their heads completely buried in the sand. The whole thing was pointed this way from the get go. He'll go where he gets the most $$$. Period. End of story.

Do i think he's worth it? No. Do i think he's even earned the right to ask for that much? No. Its comical that him and his agent are asking "elite" QB type money. Its just downright laughable.
I hope the Steelers don't even play this game with Wallace. Last thing you want to do is mortgage the entire franchise for one WR who had some stumbles this year and some "big head" issues. I don't think they will. I hope this draws to end soon and if it means someone else signs him, so be it. But apparently the Steeler fans aren't the only ones laughing. Looks as if the other teams are laughing too (laughing AT him).

Well you can never know for sure what he's thinking. All I'm gonna say is to some people, winning means more than money. I'd sure as hell rather get paid 8 million a year and get super bowl trophies, than to be stuck on a losing team with 15 million.

it could go either way, but i wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, nobody knows anything right now except wallace and the FO

6RingsAndCounting
03-22-2012, 05:52 PM
My first thoughts after reading this... "He can F*@K off"
Learn how to do more than run straight if you wanna be on Fitzgerald's level...

MasterOfPuppets
03-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Well you can never know for sure what he's thinking. All I'm gonna say is to some people, winning means more than money. I'd sure as hell rather get paid 8 million a year and get super bowl trophies, than to be stuck on a losing team with 15 million.

it could go either way, but i wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet, nobody knows anything right now except wallace and the FO
like i said, has he signed the tender yet ? all he has to do is sign it and all the speculation goes away.

QCbeauBlak
03-22-2012, 06:27 PM
It is just so hard trying to understand what goes through the heads of these players. I think the real questions should be directed at the agents, handlers, etc. Those guys put garbage in these players heads because a big pay day for the player is a big one for the agent. Wallace's agent knows his true worth but will gladly over exagerate Mike's talents for his own personal gain. I think players are "convinced" that if a silly team offers you the world, you MUST take it. I can't be mad at all at Mike though. If someone offered me that Vincent Jackson/Bucs contract, I would have bolted too! (no pun intended).

Mike is testing the waters, seeing what team is stupid enough to sacrifice their entire franchize's cap over one player. His agent would have been smarter asking for a little more than DeShawn Jackson, or something high but still reasonable. All he has done is pretty much guarantee a spot on the Steelers 2012 roster. Next off-season we will really see how much he wants to be a Steeler. But I swear, agents have ruined the game the way lobbyist ruined capitol hill.

Ricco Suavez
03-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I will with hold comment until this is linked to real news not the usual rumourmill.

CA Black & Gold
03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Already have gasoline on my Wallace jersey

Bayz101
03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
If Wallace asked me for 60 million i'd shit in his hand.

Bayz101
03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
It's exactly as stated, however:

A rumor.

Bayz101
03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Wow. People we're complaining about Clark's tweets, you should check out Wallace's! Wallace's tweets make Clark look like Jesus Christ!

"Lame Ass Nixxas blow me worried bout another man!!#fallback"

"@MikeManso18 never I got cash I will make u make em for me clown"

I would understand him defending himself, especially considering none of this "120 million" has been confirmed, but a lot of this is unprofessional and unwanted regardless. Just drop it, Mike. There's always a critic.

Dalarin
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Like whom? The only player I can think of recently that we "lost" who was actually a serious contributor was Holmes who has since turned into a clubhouse cancer with the Jets.

All I have to say is Faneca.

Steelersfan87
03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
How about we stop worrying about crap that doesn't mean anything like rumors and twitter? It's not really a shock that urban kids still talk like urban kids even after they join the NFL. Might as well take Tomlin's stance on social media.

Sixburgher
03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
All I have to say is Faneca.

Like I said, RECENTLY. Like within the last half decade.

mesaSteeler
03-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Rooney: Steelers still eyeing long-term deal with Wallace

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 23, 2012

The Steelers want to sign wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term contract, though team president Art Rooney II said today that he doesn't know when a deal might get done.

"The sooner the better as far as we're concerned but there's two parties to it," Rooney told the Tribune-Review. "We'll have to see what we agree on so I don't want to put any particular time frame on it or restrictions on it because these things take time and I wouldn't want to box myself in on it."

Wallace, who has 3,206 receiving yards and 24 touchdowns in his first three seasons, is a restricted free agent. The Pro Bowler has not generated much interest from other teams, and that may be due to Wallace's cost.

Any team that signs Wallace has to give the Steelers its first-round draft pick this year if the Steelers don't match the offer. According to the Sacramento Bee, the 49ers shied away from Wallace even though they had interest in him because he is seeking Larry Fitzgerald money. Fitzgerald signed an eight-year, $120 million deal with the Arizona Cardinals last year.

Rooney declined to talk specifically about any negotiations that have taken place between the Steelers and Wallace.

The Steelers have offered Wallace a one-year, $2.74 million deal, the highest tender a team can give to a restricted free agent. He becomes an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season.

"We stay in constant touch with him and his representatives," Rooney said.

The salary cap could be an issue as far as the Steelers signing Wallace to a long-term deal before the start of the 2012 season.

A series of contract restructurings and cuts allowed the Steelers to get in compliance with the 2012 salary cap earlier this month, but they only have around $6 to $8 million in cap room.

"It's something you have to adjust as time goes on but I think we feel like we are where we need to be at this point," Rooney said of the Steelers' salary cap situation. "Probably more decisions are going to have to be made this offseason and some contract decisions are going to have to be made. There's certainly more to come in terms of putting all of the pieces together on this team. I think we're comfortable where we are and looking forward to the draft."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Rooney: Steelers still eyeing long-term deal with Wallace - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_787984.html#ixzz1pzf39cCc

mesaSteeler
03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Friday, March 23, 2012
Thoughts on Wallace

Reports out of San Francisco have Mike Wallace requesting a deal worth more than Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald $120 million contract if he were going to consider joining the 49ers.

This, of course, caused a great deal of public outcry from Steelers fans, who A. Don't think Wallace is worth that kind of money, and B. think he's as good as gone.

Both statements are ridiculous.

Agents always aim high when negotiating. That's their job. If, and that's a big if, Wallace's agent told the 49ers he wanted more than Fitzgerald, so what?

That doesn't mean that's where any final contract would end up at.

Agents ask for the moon all the time. That's what they do. The team then offers a counter - if they're truly interested. And so it goes from there.

As for Wallace not being in Fitzgerald's class as a receiver, realize that in their first three NFL seasons, they both caught 24 touchdown passes, while Wallace had more yards. Fitzgerald had more receptions.

That's not a true barometer and the eye test tells me Fitzgerald is a better receiver, but agents being agents, they're going to look at the numbers.

Does this mean Wallace won't be a Steeler in 2012? Nope. In fact, if the report is true - and I do have my doubts about the veracity - Wallace will definitely be back with the Steelers this season.

And if they can't work out a deal with Wallace, there's always the possibility of using the franchise tag on him in 2013

ETL
03-23-2012, 10:36 PM
this is kinda playing into the Steelers hands.

if no team offers Wallace a contract then i expect the Steelers to offer Wallace an extended contract. Lets say 5 years at 40 mill with $17 mill guaranteed.

so Wallace has a choice. Either sign a long term mid range deal and get $17 mil guaranteed or gamble and sign for the $2.7 mil and hope to hit it big next year. the downside of gambling is that he can have a career threatening injury this year and never get paid or he could get tagged next year and he still won't have as much as he could have had guaranteed if he signed the long term mid range deal.

go colbert and khan!!!

mesaSteeler
03-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Rooney: Steelers still working to sign Wallace

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 24, 2012

Limited room under the salary cap has kept the Steelers quiet since the start of free agency.

It apparently hasn't tempered their desire to sign Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace to a long-term contract.

"The sooner the better as far as we're concerned," Steelers president Art Rooney II told the Tribune-Review on Friday, "but there's two parties to it."

The biggest question regarding Wallace's long-term future in Pittsburgh is whether the Steelers will be able to secure it before the start of the 2012 season.

Wallace is a restricted free agent, and the Steelers offered him a one-year, $2.74 million deal, the highest tender offer for a player in Wallace's situation.

Wallace hasn't received a lot of outside interest even though he is only 25 and has averaged over 1,000 receiving yards in his first three NFL seasons.

According to the Sacramento Bee, the San Francisco 49ers were interested in Wallace but they shied away because of the price tag. The Bee reported that Wallace is seeking a contract similar to the eight-year, $120 million deal that wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald signed with the Arizona Cardinals last season.

If the Steelers don't match the offer, Wallace also would cost a team that signs him its first-round draft pick.

Neither Wallace nor his agent, Bus Cook, returned messages yesterday.

Rooney declined to go into specifics regarding negotiations, but he said the two sides are talking.

"We stay in constant touch with him and his representatives," Rooney said. "We'll have to see what we agree on, so I don't want to put any particular time frame on it or restrictions on it because these things take time and I wouldn't want to box myself in on it."

Two factors that could complicate getting a deal done: Wide receiver Antonio Brown, the Steelers' MVP last season, is a restricted free agent after 2012 -- and in position for a big payday -- and Wallace's value has only increased since March 13.

The wide receiver position has been highly compensated through the first wave of free agency. Among those who signed big contracts were Detroit's Calvin Johnson, Tampa Bay's Vincent Jackson and Washington's Pierre Garcon.

According to ESPN, those deals were for eight years for $132 million, five years for $55.5 million and five years for $42.5 million, respectively.

Teams have until April 20 to sign Wallace.

If Wallace signs his one-year offer from the Steelers, the two sides can still negotiate a multi-year contract. The Steelers also could try to sign Wallace to a long-term deal next year, though he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2012 season.

The Steelers have spent the offseason shedding salary. A series of a contract restructurings and terminations put the team in compliance with the $120.6 million salary cap for 2012.

But the Steelers are believed to be only $6 to $8 million under the cap, and they need money to sign their 2012 draft picks as well as free agents.
Through the years
A season-by-season look at Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace:
Year Games Rec. Yards Avg. Long TD
2011 16 72 1,193 16.6 95 8
2010 16 60 1,257 21.0 56 10
2009 16 39 756 19.4 60 6

Rooney said he expects the Steelers to make more moves so they can create salary cap flexibility.

"I think we feel like we are where we need to be at this point," Rooney said. "Probably more decisions are going to have to be made this offseason and some contract decisions are going to have to be made. There's certainly more to come in terms of putting all of the pieces together on this team."

Steelers president Art Rooney II on...

-- The Steelers releasing a handful of veterans but largely keeping the nucleus of their team together:

"We think we have a good and young core, really. Unfortunately, we had to move on with some players who have really been key players for us for a number of years now. That's never easy to do, but that time comes in every player's career and that time comes when every team has to make decisions like this."

-- Whether bounty talk will dominate the NFL owners' meetings next week:

"I'm sure people will be talking about it, but as far as the meetings themselves I don't expect it be any kind of a big piece of the agenda. We don't need that kind of thing in the game, and I think the commissioner (Roger Goodell) sent a loud and clear message. I think everybody will get the message."

-- The Steelers' proposal -- it will be voted on by owners -- that the OT format for playoff games also apply in the regular season:

"(Coach) Mike (Tomlin) was very concerned about you get into a postseason game and nobody's ever experienced this situation before and we just felt like the rules are we should have the same rules in the regular season as we have in the postseason. We felt like it's something that should have been done the first time around. Hopefully, there's enough support."

-- The Steelers' proposal that makes it illegal to horse-collar tackle a quarterback while he is in the pocket:

"We've provided a lot of protection for the quarterback, some people might say too much, but we're not sure why we should leave this open particularly when we have so many other protections for the quarterback."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Rooney: Steelers still working to sign Wallace - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_788106.html#ixzz1q2ojWZPY

TRH
03-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Rooney : "We want to get a deal done as soon as possible, but there's two parties to it..."

translation : we are MILES and MILES apart, not even close. Big time. Not getting done anytime soon, if ever.

Steelersfan87
03-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah, just like they didn't get deals done with Casey Hampton, Ike Taylor, Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and Troy Polamalu. Fans just need to sit back, relax, and mind their own business. All that we even "know", if what we "know" is even true, is that some teams that contacted Wallace's agent were given an exorbitant price tag.

I’m surprised at some of the vicious written attacks on Mike Wallace since the news broke in Sacramento that his people told the 49ers that he wanted more than Larry Fitzgerald money. One guy wrote to him on Twitter using all kinds of foul language and ripping him for even considering leaving the Steelers. It’s a wonder these guys hold back as often as they do.
What does anyone want Wallace to do? Sit there like a good kid and take whatever the Steelers offer him for the rest of his career? Steelers fans who also want Wallace to stay should be happy he’s seeking such a high contract because, if he sticks to his guns, he won’t get it and he will return to play this season. If he wanted a lot less, there would be a greater chance of him leaving.
As I’ve written here for awhile, I believe Wallace will return to the Steelers and play for the $2.742 million contract they tendered him as a restricted free agent. Next year, he will be free unless the Steelers find a way to sign him to that multiple-year contract.
That’s how it works. Wallace is using a system that has been in place almost 20 years and he’d be crazy not to. Those who are attacking him, especially those who have gone over the edge in doing so, must have something wrong in their own lives

Reports out of San Francisco have Mike Wallace requesting a deal worth more than Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald $120 million contract if he were going to consider joining the 49ers.

This, of course, caused a great deal of public outcry from Steelers fans, who A. Don't think Wallace is worth that kind of money, and B. think he's as good as gone.

Both statements are ridiculous.

Agents always aim high when negotiating. That's their job. If, and that's a big if, Wallace's agent told the 49ers he wanted more than Fitzgerald, so what?

That doesn't mean that's where any final contract would end up at.

Agents ask for the moon all the time. That's what they do. The team then offers a counter - if they're truly interested. And so it goes from there.

tanda10506
03-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Rooney : "We want to get a deal done as soon as possible, but there's two parties to it..."

translation : we are MILES and MILES apart, not even close. Big time. Not getting done anytime soon, if ever.

uxuTyXQHqkI

TRH
03-25-2012, 08:28 AM
seems lots of peeps around here have their head stuck deep in the sand.......................

ANDYMISIU
03-25-2012, 10:24 AM
The Steelers knew they were taking a risk, but a risk well worth it. I don't think a team is willing to give up a #1 and a big contract to Wallace just yet.

I personally think teams might be a bit skeptical in him as a complete player. The second half of the season last year doesn't warrant a 1st and a big contract. Wallace lost the lime light to A. Brown and dropped some very important passes down the stretch.

I think the Steelers are showing Wallace exactly what his market value is before they sign him. A reality check is a great way to sign him to less than what he originally thought he could get.

I think it's a brilliant move.

zcoop
03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
The Steelers knew they were taking a risk, but a risk well worth it. I don't think a team is willing to give up a #1 and a big contract to Wallace just yet.

I personally think teams might be a bit skeptical in him as a complete player. The second half of the season last year doesn't warrant a 1st and a big contract. Wallace lost the lime light to A. Brown and dropped some very important passes down the stretch.

I think the Steelers are showing Wallace exactly what his market value is before they sign him. A reality check is a great way to sign him to less than what he originally thought he could get.

I think it's a brilliant move.

Couldn't disagree more. I still think the risk factor is out there. We are fortunate that things bounced our way in this instance because Wallace's numbers were due to substandard play from our offense down the stretch.

He can neither throw himself the ball nor can he draw up the plays. Next year however will be a very different story and lets hope that he we can negotiate a win win with him then.

Acerinox
03-26-2012, 03:49 AM
I think a lot of folks are missing the point.

Wallace is saying - if I'm going to leave the Steelers now, I need to do it for a BOAT load of money - because you're not just hiring me, you're pulling me away from my team where I want to be.
Compensation.
I would WANT Wallace to say these things. If he said "Ah hell I'll take top 20 salary just to get mah murnay" - that would say disloyal to me.
There's no way he's going to ask the Steelers for this. He's asking a lot. But not this.

Kingmagyar
03-26-2012, 10:19 AM
We were lucky this year because of the amount of FA Wide receivers available. If it was a normal year where there is just average guys out there a desperate team would have given up a #1 for him. We will never know if I'm right, but common sense or in the case of owners, common despair would prevail. Look how many teams signed WRs so far. Imagine if those teams had no options.

Wallace's best bet to get close to Larry F money is to be a UFA around 2014 when the cap will be booming. So he may be willing to take a short term deal with any team including the Steelers right now. But most teams won't give a #1 pick for a 3 year deal. Facing the idea of playing for Pittsburgh this year and next under the Franchise tag for around 13 million total he may take a deal with them for say 3 years 24 million so he can get some up front money this year. I don't even know if the Steelers would sign him for 8 mil per though.

My thought is the best choice is still have him play this year for the RFA tender. Sign Antonio Brown this summer to a modest 5-6 mil per year deal for 5 years. Franchise Wallace next year. Then decide if you are going to franchise him in 2014 or let him walk. By then Wallace will have proven what he is as a WR or where he is going.

TRH
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I've heard all the scenarios so far. Fans, analysts, etc. Here's what my gut instinct says will happen.

1. No one else will sign him this year
2. He will NOT hold out, as some have suggested.
3. He'll play out this year with the Steelers and put forth a better effort
4. Barring injury, he'll sign with another team NEXT year

Steelersfan87
03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I firmly believe there's a reasonable shot that he signs a long-term deal with the Steelers between now and the regular season.

Bayz101
03-26-2012, 05:41 PM
I firmly believe there's a reasonable shot that he signs a long-term deal with the Steelers between now and the regular season.

I have a feeling he does so as well.

pete74
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM

i said it all along and agree. i was saying it when half of the board was praying the Pats would grab him

ricardisimo
03-27-2012, 03:49 AM
I still think he's gone soon. All the "B" teams are possibilities: Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Bills, Browns and even the Buccaneers. They all have the cap space for it. I'd include the Redskins, but I'm not sure they can sign a tendered player when they no longer own their natural 1st round pick.

mesaSteeler
03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Madden: Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler
http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-wallace-wants-to-be-a-star-not-a-steeler/article_3f4cb673-9733-519a-b60a-c02ec73d2870.html
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent | 8 comments

I don't worship at the altar of Hines Ward. I think he's a self-serving phony. One person when the microphone is on, another when it's off.

But I'll say this for Ward: He knew how to be a Steeler. He knew the value of the brand, of the logo, and how it added to everything he did. Ward knew the standard, and usually lived up to it. He was a Steeler.

Mike Wallace, not so much.

Wallace wants to be a star, not a Steeler. He doesn't want to earn, he wants to get paid.

If Ward was a big influence on the Steelers' youthful receivers -- the "Young Money Crew" -- it's not evident with Wallace, who disappeared during the second half of last season. Wallace didn't top 100 yards worth of catches in a game after week 7, falling short of 60 yards five times. He had three catches for 26 yards in the playoff loss at Denver.

Wallace is a restricted free agent, tied to the Steelers by a first-round tender worth $2.7 million in 2012. The Steelers can match any offer. If they decline, they get a first-round pick as compensation.

Wallace will be a Steeler next year. He guaranteed that by seeking Larry Fitzgerald money. Wallace wants $15 million per year. No team will pay near that, let alone surrender a first-round pick on top of it.

Wallace isn't Fitzgerald. Wallace has speed. Fitzgerald has everything.

Some say Wallace had a bad second half of the season because he was so tightly covered, tying that theory to Antonio Brown's increased numbers. That begs the question: Is a mere decoy worth big loot?

Wallace will get big loot next off-season. Barring a franchise tag, Wallace's free agency becomes unrestricted. He still won't get Fitzgerald money, but he might get Vincent Jackson money: five years, $55.55 million. Dan Rooney would sooner put that kind of dough through a paper shredder than give it to someone who touches the ball four or five times per game.

With Wallace a lame duck, what level of exertion can be expected from him this coming season? Depends how smart he is. With unrestricted free agency pending, every catch hikes future paychecks. Effort is an investment in himself, not the Steelers.

Wallace, sadly, seems to personify a new breed of Steeler. He hasn't won anything, yet displays inflated ego and arrogance.

Put Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert in that group. Within minutes of the playoff loss at Denver, each was on Twitter to profanely urge followers to listen to a certain rapper. F-bombs, N-words, etc.

When Pouncey was criticized, he called detractors "losers" and said, "U wish u had my life." No, I don't. Not if your brain comes with it.

The Steelers should ban players from Twitter. Some do a nice job with it. Many don't. At any rate, what's the upside?

When Wallace's money demands got questioned, he tweeted, "I love when haters hate." What a great all-purpose defense. Jerry Sandusky should try it.

The Steelers cut Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith. They won't be missed as players. Ward and Farrior are washed up, Smith too brittle.

But considering the antics and attitudes of those left behind, the Steelers should definitely worry about a leadership void.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

VaDave
03-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Another brilliant Madden snoozer......

Frankly, I don't worship at the alter of any man. As for our young money crew, and I'll add Pouncey and Gillbert to this list, these guys are going to be the core of this team going forward. Deal with it. They may be brash, lacking in terms of social , & public relation skills, but those demerits are more than ofset by talent.

Where has Madden been anyway. This sort of thing has been going on since the gladiators of Rome.

TRH
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
but he does have a point....

I've been saying this all along and yet...there are people and fans around with their heads completely stuck in the sand saying "oh, yeah, well, ya know, he wants to be a Steeler...", blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, and foolish stuff like that. He personifies today's money hungry athlete and will absolutely go elsewhere. The arrogance is there too. And since Pouncey was mentioned, I will say this. Madden's not wrong. I like his play, but the arrogant SOB is injured seemingly more than he plays.

Look what big contracts get you. We gave Ben, Troy, Harrison, and Timmons the house now we can barely afford 5-stringers at this point.

Wallace will play here this year. Barring a big-time injury, he will sign with someone else next off-season. Thats the way this thing will play out, just watch. I was hoping we'd resign him, but the more i look at the situation, the more i say let him go.

TRH
03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Another brilliant Madden snoozer......

Frankly, I don't worship at the alter of any man. As for our young money crew, and I'll add Pouncey and Gillbert to this list, these guys are going to be the core of this team going forward. Deal with it. They may be brash, lacking in terms of social , & public relation skills, but those demerits are more than ofset by talent.

Where has Madden been anyway. This sort of thing has been going on since the gladiators of Rome.

No one wants, likes, or should just "deal with" Pouncey saying stuff like "look at me, i'm a millionaire, and you (the fan) are a pathetic loser.

TRH
03-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I still think he's gone soon. All the "B" teams are possibilities: Bengals, Broncos, Bears, Bills, Browns and even the Buccaneers. They all have the cap space for it. I'd include the Redskins, but I'm not sure they can sign a tendered player when they no longer own their natural 1st round pick.

I live in Chicago right now and word around here for the cap money is addressing other needs than WR. Lots of needs. Plus they already signed Marshall for big money, they might go get one in the draft or sign a cheap FA. Likely won't be Chicago.
The Browns are going to address their defense more, and look at QB possibilities still and aren't in a position right now to sign a star WR, for one reason being that the QB position is still a big question mark. Especially one that would cost them as much as the moon and the stars.

Wallace will play in Pittsburgh this year...then next year, he'll sign a FA contract with someone else.

VaDave
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I think Greg Lloyd's tee shirt said it best, " I wasn't hired for my disposition".

Hey, I understand where you are coming from, and you do make a point about Pouncey's injury issues. Truth be told, high ankle sprains do not heal in a couple of weeks. Sometime they never heal. Pounce played all of last year on a bum ankle, them messed up the other one, and couldn't quite go at the end. It wasn't for a lack of trying. IMO, the guy played his guts out.

Going back to the issue of compensation vs loyalty, let me ask you a question. If you knew of people at other firms, doing exactly what you do job wise, were making millions more than you are, how would that effect your loyalty? If the owner of one of those other firms stopped by your house and offered you one of those positions, which would provide lifetime security not only for, you, your immediate family, but your extended family as well. Would you not trip getting a pen to sign?

Loyalty is a two way street. In order for an employee to have loyalty to his firm, the firm must express loyalty to it's employee. As for the case of Wallace, what loyalty are the Steelers showing him to ofset the potential millions he could be earning elsewhere?

Granted as a fan, we are more emotionaly involved, very loyal towards our team. But sometimes our loyalty towards the team, and players, doesn't register at the same level as the guys that only have a very short window to make their money.

stb_steeler
03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
I dont understand where Wallace thinks hes worth Larry Fits payday. He hasnt really proved himself yet. Like the article says he seemed to drop off later in the season.
Try proving yourself first instead of thinking your the greatest and wanting the big payday, then maybe you can take it from there.

Kingmagyar
I love Pouncey's play but he is exactly the type to want to be the highest paid center maybe even Offensive Lineman of all time. He will be a problem to sign.

QCbeauBlak
I think Greg Lloyd's tee shirt said it best, " I wasn't hired for my disposition".

Hey, I understand where you are coming from, and you do make a point about Pouncey's injury issues. Truth be told, high ankle sprains do not heal in a couple of weeks. Sometime they never heal. Pounce played all of last year on a bum ankle, them messed up the other one, and couldn't quite go at the end. It wasn't for a lack of trying. IMO, the guy played his guts out.

Going back to the issue of compensation vs loyalty, let me ask you a question. If you knew of people at other firms, doing exactly what you do job wise, were making millions more than you are, how would that effect your loyalty? If the owner of one of those other firms stopped by your house and offered you one of those positions, which would provide lifetime security not only for, you, your immediate family, but your extended family as well. Would you not trip getting a pen to sign?

Loyalty is a two way street. In order for an employee to have loyalty to his firm, the firm must express loyalty to it's employee. As for the case of Wallace, what loyalty are the Steelers showing him to ofset the potential millions he could be earning elsewhere?

Granted as a fan, we are more emotionaly involved, very loyal towards our team. But sometimes our loyalty towards the team, and players, doesn't register at the same level as the guys that only have a very short window to make their money.

^^^This!! I always have to check myself because I get to emotionally involved. At the end of the day, being a player is a job like I have a job and you have a job. I am not too proud to say that I will do almost anything to help my career and increase my pay. I can't expect players to be exceptions to the rule. Wallace has every right to pursue a big pay day. I hope we can retain him without sacrificing too much, but if not.. it's part of the game

wera176
03-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Well put VaDave! :drink:

I myself had a "I'm a Steeler fan, not a fan of the players" moment at camp at Latrobe a few years ago. We were wanting to get autographs from the usuals: Big Ben, Bettis, Harrison, Ward, Troy, etc, but the crowds were just ticking me off. They weren't rude or anything, quite the opposite, but there was just so many people and they were getting in line for autographs while the team was still drilling. Finally, I smiled and turned to my wife "Screw this. Let's go watch the team drill, I was a Steeler fan before these players were born and will be still be a fan when they are gone..."

Still would like to have gotten some autographs for the kids, but really didn't miss it..

TRH
03-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Thats why i said Wallace leave's here next year. No way he stays. I don't have a problem with it....but he's gone.
As far as Pouncey, i like his play....i just don't like "the guy"

zcoop
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Thats why i said Wallace leave's here next year. No way he stays. I don't have a problem with it....but he's gone.
As far as Pouncey, i like his play....i just don't like "the guy"

You're probably right, but I do have a problem with Wallace leaving. We have had a revolving door at the WR position for over ten years now (excluding HInes) and that's not such a good thing. We're gonna have to pony up some serious cash for that position much sooner than later.

Some want to wait and pay Brown, whom I don't think is as good as Wallace nor would he demand that the oposing D pay special attention to him. Don't get me wrong, I like Brown but his success is a direct by product of Wallace's being on the same side of the ball.

kan_t
03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I dont understand where Wallace thinks hes worth Larry Fits payday. He hasnt really proved himself yet. Like the article says he seemed to drop off later in the season.
Try proving yourself first instead of thinking your the greatest and wanting the big payday, then maybe you can take it from there.

Wallace also doesn't understand. That's why he has denied that rumor immediately through twitter.