PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mike Wallace Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

TRH
03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
You're probably right, but I do have a problem with Wallace leaving. We have had a revolving door at the WR position for over ten years now (excluding HInes) and that's not such a good thing. We're gonna have to pony up some serious cash for that position much sooner than later.

Some want to wait and pay Brown, whom I don't think is as good as Wallace nor would he demand that the oposing D pay special attention to him. Don't get me wrong, I like Brown but his success is a direct by product of Wallace's being on the same side of the ball.

sorry...didn't clarify that....what i don't have a problem with is Wallace going and signing a big contract (if he can get it).

Steel Peon
03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827eecd5/article/why-does-nobody-want-to-sign-mike-wallace

Why does nobody want to sign Mike Wallace?

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

The NFL Annual Meeting wrapped up Wednesday, and there wasn't a hint of a rumor regarding Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace. That surely pleases Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who isn't thinking about what would happen if another team signed Wallace.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it -- if we come to it," Tomlin said.

At this stage, there is no indication that any team will sign Wallace to an offer sheet. Here are the best reasons we can come up with:

It's too early

Teams have until April 20 to sign restricted free agents to an offer sheet. Unrestricted free agents get the most attention early in the process, and teams then start looking closer at restricted players. Perhaps a team is out there biding its time.

He's too expensive

There have been reports Wallace wants more than $100 million in a contract. He wants Larry Fitzgerald money. If that's true, the cost of the contract, plus a first-round draft pick, could make him too expensive.

He's not versatile

Wallace doesn't fit every offense. He doesn't go over the middle or help you on special teams like DeSean Jackson. There is some question about his ability to transfer to many offensive systems. Antonio Brown is the far more versatile receiver. Wallace, you could argue, is a one-trick pony. Of course, it's a pretty nifty trick.

The logical teams don't need him

The San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots were rumored to be two possible fits for Wallace, but both teams signed multiple free-agent wide receivers and no longer appear to have a need. The Chicago Bears traded for Brandon Marshall. The Jacksonville Jaguars pick too high. The Cincinnati Bengals have two first-round picks, but perhaps they don't see A.J. Green and Wallace fitting together on the field. Or under the salary cap.

Where there's no smoke, there's probably a lack of fire. We think Wallace would be well worth a mid-to-late first-round pick and a handsome contract, but it looks unlikely to happen. That's exactly what Tomlin expects.

"Business will take care of itself, but Mike will report and be the guy that he's always been in my mind, and that's a guy that has a desire to be the best and a guy that's willing to work daily to be the best," Tomlin said Tuesday.

For at least one more year, it appears Wallace will be working in Pittsburgh.
Thanks for giving away that little secret there, ya arsehole! Now Brown is going to be 50x hotter than Wallace! Really though, I'm glad this is starting to become common knowledge.

TRH
03-30-2012, 07:44 AM
I think that Wallace and his agent thought there would be some kind of frenzy over him instead of crickets chirping. Must be frustrating.
He'll play here this year...leave the next.

And i agree...Brown will end up being a much hotter commodity and he seems like a much nicer guy to boot.

lipps83
03-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I think that Wallace and his agent thought there would be some kind of frenzy over him instead of crickets chirping. Must be frustrating.

And i agree...Brown will end up being a much hotter commodity and he seems like a much nicer guy to boot.

I agree, I just wish they would sign him to a long term deal now instead of waiting. If you have a good player, do everything you can to keep them.

I think the only people that aren't starting to see Wallace for what he is is him and his agent. He is a good player, but IMO way, way, way overrated.

Steel Peon
03-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Just so I'm straight on this, and to bust balls a bit, I'm to understand that EVERYTHING Mike Wallace related is to be posted in this thread, and not a new one? So, for example, if Wallace dies, you can't start a "Mike Wallace dies" thread because you should just add that to the official thread? :chuckle:

MACH1
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
If he were to kill over I'm sure that would deserve it's own thread. But the same old guessing, speculating non new movement news can stay in here instead of having over 100 different threads clogging up the forum on basically the same thing.

ricardisimo
03-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes. Let's be honest here: how many people are posting threads about Wallace's childhood, or his personal gumbo recipe? No one. Almost every single post is about how much it would suck to lose him (those go here) or what we should do with the extra first-rounder (those go in the War Room.)

This isn't rocket science. And no one is trying to silence anyone. To the contrary, you're much more likely to have your opinions heard in this thread at the top of the list than in your own redundant thread that will quickly be pushed down and off the page.

Steel Peon
04-01-2012, 05:35 AM
you're much more likely to have your opinions heard in this thread at the top of the list than in your own redundant thread that will quickly be pushed down and off the page.
I'll just start by stating that I like you, and enjoy posting alongside you.......so, there you have it. But man, this is not a wiki, and there are not dedicated links to each and every player, and/or aspect of Steelers science/status. This is a forum.......something that intrinsically revolves around current events and hot rumors, aka, the latest videos and articles from the God holy mother of football........nfl.com. And, if nfl.com says it, after tons of poasters here preach it, then it's pretty satisfying to those of the same mindset to see their thoughts in print. Which leads me to say, believe it or not, I'd rather come here and discuss these subjects that the NFL has decided to highlight, and discuss whether or not they consist of valid points, with you people "my fellow Steeler fans," RATHER than "converse" with the piss ant drool mongers that post on nfl.com.......can anyone fault me?

But that being said, headlines are what grab me (and apparently, a lot of other people), and I really appreciate not having to sift through "official" threads, like this one, that are up to 51 pages long, and that's where we're at. I mean seriously, how many of you guys enter a forum and automatically go to the "official blah blah blah thread," that's going on 50 pages long, and think you're going to get current news? I personally want to discuss the latest news concerning what the head football geeks (of any big sports news organization) think about members of out team. They said the same thing about Arians, and they said the same thing about Mendenhall, so I gotta pay this stuff a little more attention than the usual schlock.

You guys might be tired of hearing about Wallace's status, and might get a bit of overlap and redundancy, but I don't think you're going to diminish the subject by compartmentalizing everything Mike Wallace related into one thread. It really seems kinda dull that way..........no offense really........it's your forum and you can do what you want.

zcoop
04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I'll just start by stating that I like you, and enjoy posting alongside you.......so, there you have it. But man, this is not a wiki, and there are not dedicated links to each and every player, and/or aspect of Steelers science/status. This is a forum.......something that intrinsically revolves around current events and hot rumors, aka, the latest videos and articles from the God holy mother of football........nfl.com. And, if nfl.com says it, after tons of poasters here preach it, then it's pretty satisfying to those of the same mindset to see their thoughts in print. Which leads me to say, believe it or not, I'd rather come here and discuss these subjects that the NFL has decided to highlight, and discuss whether or not they consist of valid points, with you people "my fellow Steeler fans," RATHER than "converse" with the piss ant drool mongers that post on nfl.com.......can anyone fault me?

But that being said, headlines are what grab me (and apparently, a lot of other people), and I really appreciate not having to sift through "official" threads, like this one, that are up to 51 pages long, and that's where we're at. I mean seriously, how many of you guys enter a forum and automatically go to the "official blah blah blah thread," that's going on 50 pages long, and think you're going to get current news? I personally want to discuss the latest news concerning what the head football geeks (of any big sports news organization) think about members of out team. They said the same thing about Arians, and they said the same thing about Mendenhall, so I gotta pay this stuff a little more attention than the usual schlock.

You guys might be tired of hearing about Wallace's status, and might get a bit of overlap and redundancy, but I don't think you're going to diminish the subject by compartmentalizing everything Mike Wallace related into one thread. It really seems kinda dull that way..........no offense really........it's your forum and you can do what you want.

This!

I also think that this move is nonsensical. individual player threads are counter productive and very difficult to navigate when having discussions. I give the creation of this shit a thrumbs down.

mesaSteeler
04-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Antonio Brown: 'No doubt in my mind' Mike Wallace plays for Steelers in '12
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18200767/antonio-brown-no-doubt-in-my-mind-mike-wallace-plays-for-steelers-in-12
By Ryan Wilson | NFL Blogger

There is 'no doubt' in Antonio Brown's mind: Mike Wallace will be in Pittsburgh next season. (US PRESSWIRE)

It's been nearly a month since free agency began and restricted free agent Mike Wallace remains a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. There was speculation that a playoff team in desperate need of a wide receiver (the Patriots, 49ers, Ravens and Broncos were often mentioned) would willingly give up a late first-round pick for the right to sign Wallace, one of the league's explosive young talents.

Instead, the Pats signed Brandon Lloyd and have restructured Chad Ochocinco's contract, the 49ers signed Mario Manningham and Randy Moss, the Ravens made it clear at the combine that they likely weren't interested, and the Broncos appear set with their current crop of wideouts.

So what happened? For starters, it's still early. Teams have until April 20 to make Wallace a contract offer. There was no rush to get it done as soon as free agency opened because, in general, teams have other needs to address with unrestricted free agents. Also not helping: Wallace reportedly wants "Larry Fitzgerald money" even though he's nowhere near the player Fitzgerald is. This may have scared some teams off.

During a Friday appearance on NFL Network's Total Access, Antonio Brown, another of Steelers young pass-catchers, sounded confident that Wallace would be back in Pittsburgh in 2012.

"I definitely expect it," he said. "I definitely look forward to him providing me help from the other side, rolling coverages -- he's a great teammate of mine."

Host Andrew Siliciano asked Brown if he was absolutely sure. "No doubt in my mind, he's coming back," Brown said.

The Steelers have stated previously that they'd like to lock up Wallace long term, even after his production dropped during the second half of the 2011 season. Head coach Mike Tomlin was asked about that at last week's annual league meetings in Florida.

"In many instances, teams took him out of the game," Tomlin said of Wallace via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "When you reel off the kind of seven- to eight-game run that he had there to start the season, that's some scary video for defensive coaches in preparations for games. They responded accordingly. But if you have a good football team, it's going to potentially create opportunities for other ready young men."

Another explanation: Ben Roethlisberger was injured for the final month of the season after suffering a high-ankle sprain against the Browns in Week 14. He essentially played on one leg down the stretch and that affected his accuracy on deep balls, where Wallace is truly dangerous. Either way, the 25-year-old wideout with an 18.7 yards-per-catch average in three NFL seasons, looks like he'll stay in Pittsburgh. If that happens, he'll have a new offensive coordinator, former Chiefs head coach Todd Haley.

Brown was asked about playing for Haley, who is known for an in-your-face coaching style that doesn't suit everybody.

"I heard [Haley] challenges players … and I love that. … You don't allow guys to underachieve. And you find that, with most players in this league, there are a lot of underachievers so he's the type of guy who pushes players and that's something I enjoy. ...

"We're definitely looking forward to Todd Haley … and we're just excited for the fresh start."

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our NFL newsletter.

TRH
04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't have any doubt he plays here this year either.

It's next year i'm almost sure he leaves.

Steelersfan87
04-01-2012, 03:41 PM
The above two posts are missing the point. This thread is designed to encompass all of the discussions surrounding Wallace's free agency, how desperately the Steelers need to retain him, how much more they need the first round pick than him, how tremendously overrated he is, how his stats stack up with the greats, how he can't fight for balls, how he can fight for balls, how he's a horrible person and "not a Steeler", how he's a nice young man that stays out of trouble, how OMG HE'S GOING TO LEAVE, etc. It's all essentially the same shit, and we don't need 50 threads for the same shit. It says in the forum rules not to make redundant threads anyway.

OX1947
04-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Have him help us win a Super Bowl next year and he can leave and make 300 mil for all I care.

Bayz101
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
.............................................April Fools :chuckle:

Bayz101
04-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Had to do it. Thread'll be gone in a day :chuckle:

Fire Arians
04-01-2012, 05:32 PM
somebody ought to kick you in the head for that lol

Bayz101
04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
somebody ought to kick you in the head for that lol

:rofl:

TRH
04-01-2012, 06:10 PM
you have to do that very early morning....

At this point, i've been through at least 100 april fools stories, so i instantly knew. Hell...crickets aren't even interested in Wallace at this point. :sofunny:

Steel_Bus_24
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I saw this joke coming

Really they should just shut down the internet on April Fools:doh:

StainlessStill
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
you have to do that very early morning....

At this point, i've been through at least 100 april fools stories, so i instantly knew. Hell...crickets aren't even interested in Wallace at this point. :sofunny:

^This. I was hoaxed into thinking my favorite band was having a "farewell tour" announcement. Since then, I've seen countless number of April Fools jokes. Now, I'm just like "Here we go again." Haha.

Millers the sh!t
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Damn, u got my hopes up for a minute.

harrison'samonster
04-01-2012, 08:12 PM
The above two posts are missing the point. This thread is designed to encompass all of the discussions surrounding Wallace's free agency, how desperately the Steelers need to retain him, how much more they need the first round pick than him, how tremendously overrated he is, how his stats stack up with the greats, how he can't fight for balls, how he can fight for balls, how he's a horrible person and "not a Steeler", how he's a nice young man that stays out of trouble, how OMG HE'S GOING TO LEAVE, etc. It's all essentially the same shit, and we don't need 50 threads for the same shit. It says in the forum rules not to make redundant threads anyway.

what page of this thread is about Wallace's ability to fight for balls? I think I missed that one. lol

zcoop
04-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Def not this! If someone wanted to locate a category about said player, they would have to muddle through God knows how many pages b4 finding the relevant reference under this scenario. This is painting with a very broad brush. I don't see the problem with specifics :noidea:

Blackout
04-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Then it needs to be changed to the Mike Wallace Free Agency Thread. I don't have a problem with that. Official threads are annoying to sift through.

But I say that as a relatively low post count user.

tanda10506
04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Now I got to buy a plane ticket to Mansfield, Ohio!!!!! jk, can't believe I looked.

Shane Oliver
04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
You... YOU, you.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Brown also liked the Tebowich over the Sanchez Panini (Sanchini) on NFL Network....................who really cares??? All speculation.

Fire Arians
04-01-2012, 10:24 PM
if wallace went to san francisco, he'd go from being part of the young money crew to dirty mike and the boys

LWmNIgKlsEA

Millers the sh!t
04-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I Think we all strongly feel that he's playing in Pittsburgh for the 2012 season. And I think we all strongly feel that it's the 2013 season that he ends up playing in another city.

I hope we make the best out of having this guy and get a ring or something this season cause next year we lose Wallace for nothing.

It makes me wonder why he's asking Fitzi money knowing he's not going to find it. Especially this season when he has a tender on him too.

Wallace108
04-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I suggest we start "The Official Should We Have The Official Mike Wallace Thread? Thread." :chuckle:

I don't wanna speak for the mods, but this isn't the official Mike Wallace thread for the rest of his Steelers career. It's just to keep all the rumors and speculation regarding his current situation in one thread instead of having 100 different threads on the same topic. It's no different than "the official" Fire Arians thread ... there wasn't a need to have 2 billion separate threads with everyone bitching about Arians. It was better just to keep it in one place rather than having everyone start their own thread and clog up the board.

If there's a major development (like if Wallace signs with another team, another team makes him an offer, or the Steelers sign him to a long-term deal), then I think that deserves its own thread. But I don't think we need separate threads for every opinion from every blogger or columnist when they're talking about the same thing. I think it makes more sense to have 50 pages on the same topic compared to 50 separate threads. After his current situation ends, so will the need for this thread.

StainlessStill
04-01-2012, 11:42 PM
zzZzzZzzzZZZzzz

Wallace108
04-01-2012, 11:55 PM
zzZzzZzzzZZZzzz

Wake up, you might miss someone's opinion on whether the Steelers should sign Wallace or let him go.

Steelersfan87
04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
If there's a major development (like if Wallace signs with another team, another team makes him an offer, or the Steelers sign him to a long-term deal), then I think that deserves its own thread. But I don't think we need separate threads for every opinion from every blogger or columnist when they're talking about the same thing. I think it makes more sense to have 50 pages on the same topic compared to 50 separate threads. After his current situation ends, so will the need for this thread.

This times infinity.

Bayz101
04-02-2012, 02:34 AM
I suggest we start "The Official Should We Have The Official Mike Wallace Thread? Thread." :chuckle:

I don't wanna speak for the mods, but this isn't the official Mike Wallace thread for the rest of his Steelers career. It's just to keep all the rumors and speculation regarding his current situation in one thread instead of having 100 different threads on the same topic. It's no different than "the official" Fire Arians thread ... there wasn't a need to have 2 billion separate threads with everyone bitching about Arians. It was better just to keep it in one place rather than having everyone start their own thread and clog up the board.

Yep, this. The only thing i'd do different is re-name this thread *Mike Wallace Signs with -insert team here-* and edit the first post with the article in it and post it in my own post as well. I do that sometimes, anyhow, but seeing as there's only one current Wallace thread this being official, an announcement thread wouldn't hurt :thumbsup:

Bayz101
04-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I Think we all strongly feel that he's playing in Pittsburgh for the 2012 season. And I think we all strongly feel that it's the 2013 season that he ends up playing in another city.

I hope we make the best out of having this guy and get a ring or something this season cause next year we lose Wallace for nothing.

It makes me wonder why he's asking Fitzi money knowing he's not going to find it. Especially this season when he has a tender on him too.

Well, as suggested before, he's probably putting that number out their so that other teams will back off on offering a contract. For all we know Wallace could want to stay in this city more than anything, it just may be more financially possible next year, or at least I hope.

FanSince72
04-02-2012, 11:32 AM
.............................................April Fools :chuckle:

God dammit!

The rest of my underwear is still in the wash, the only clean skivvies I have are what I'm wearing now and then I have to see that headline.

Thanks dude!

VaDave
04-02-2012, 11:50 AM
ALmost got me ya turd....

tanda10506
04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
if wallace went to san francisco, he'd go from being part of the young money crew to dirty mike and the boys

LWmNIgKlsEA

"You know what it's called when they do that.....a soup kitchen."

NSMaster56
04-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure if it's confirmed or not (don't have a link), but according to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, the San Francisco 49ers were one of the teams that inquired of Mike Wallace, and he is reportedly looking to exceed Larry Fitzgerald money (8-year, $50 million guaranteed, $120 million extension).

At that price (or not) and considering the Steelers cap situation, isn't Mike Wallace completely expendable?

I get that he's talented (fast), he opens up the offense and his stats are elite, but... he's not Larry Fitz/Megatron talented.

Even if he is, how many teams succeed (win titles) because of an elite WR? Moss, T.O., Ochocinco... no titles. And even teams who 'air it out' like the Saints don't succeed because of solely because Colston/Henderson/Meachem (all 2nd round and later picks)... they succeed because of Drew Brees.

WR's are a dime a dozen. They can be found in later rounds easily (T.O., Welker, Jennings, Colston...)

Guys like Wallace are replaceable. It's historically proven. This is obvious looking at the Steelers best recievers over the last 15+ years:

Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress/Hines Ward, Charles Johnson, Yancey Thigpen, Louis Lipps...

Unless Wallace signs 'on the cheap', he will not be wearing Black and Gold in 2013. And it really shouldn't be a problem.

Agree or disagree?

SteelersinCA
04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Expendable, not so sure. Not worth that money maybe. You guys gotta work on your descriptive words. No way is he expendable, but that certainly doesn't mean he's getting that kind of money from the Steelers.

Millers the sh!t
04-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Expendable? definitely. Not worth that money? definitely.

It was fun watching him develope while we had him, but he'll be history next year. We can stay competitive without him. We can't if we blow our future over paying a single receiver and having rookies plugging all the holes we are developing in more important positions.

QCbeauBlak
04-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't really understand why people think he isn't worth 10-12 million per? (or whatever amount the league is giving top WR's now minus Megatron and Fitz) Why can't we have more than one highly paid player on offense like most teams in this league? Mendenhall probably won't be around much longer so other than Ben and Antonio Brown's future contract, who on offense are we really giving the big bucks too?

PAY DA MAN!!!

oh, and though I do not have a clue, I think his request for Fitz like money was only directed at all those sorry teams with stupid cap space. If someone is dumb enough to through that kind of money arpund you have to take it.. But I would not be surprised if he signed here for a reasonable D. Jax like contract. Remember that the cap is only going to go up and we still have a few guys that will age out in the next few years

Fire Arians
04-05-2012, 01:02 AM
"You know what it's called when they do that.....a soup kitchen."

time to put some D's in some A's lol

TRH
04-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I don't really understand why people think he isn't worth 10-12 million per? (or whatever amount the league is giving top WR's now minus Megatron and Fitz) Why can't we have more than one highly paid player on offense like most teams in this league? Mendenhall probably won't be around much longer so other than Ben and Antonio Brown's future contract, who on offense are we really giving the big bucks too?

PAY DA MAN!!!

oh, and though I do not have a clue, I think his request for Fitz like money was only directed at all those sorry teams with stupid cap space. If someone is dumb enough to through that kind of money arpund you have to take it.. But I would not be surprised if he signed here for a reasonable D. Jax like contract. Remember that the cap is only going to go up and we still have a few guys that will age out in the next few years

The Steelers aren't going to "pay da man" an outrageous sum of money and cripple the rest of the team and mortgage the franchise.
They will likely offer him a very hefty multimillion dollar salary and it will be a fair offer, but they're not going to give him the sun, the moon, and the stars. He's probably gotten several offers from us making him "very well paid and rich", but i'm SURE his agent has stifled any progress we're trying to make.

Other teams haven't helped this year, either, foolishly dumping overly lavish contracts on WR's, likely un-needed, and have driven prices up...way up.

Steelersfan87
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
What was "outrageous" even 3 years ago is pretty run of the mill now, so don't be surprised if they give him a contract you don't think is in keeping with "the Steeler way".

Rick5895
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
If Wallace wants to be a STEELER he will be. I'm sure Hines is in his ear. If he wants the outrageous money he will be gone. I would be surprised however if he left this year. I just don't see another team giving him big money then giving us a 1st round pick.

MasterOfPuppets
04-06-2012, 12:29 AM
i couldn't find any news outlets reportin this...:huh:

stb_steeler
04-06-2012, 10:06 AM
This just in.....Wallace signs a one year deal with the Ravens.....:popcorn:

mesaSteeler
04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Interest in Mike Wallace appears to have dried up
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 6, 2012, 1:05 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/06/interest-in-mike-wallace-appears-to-have-dried-up/

A month ago, it looked like a good bet that the Steelers would lose restricted free agent receiver Mike Wallace. But with two weeks to go before the April 20 deadline for a team to sign a restricted free agent to an offer sheet, it’s appearing increasingly likely that Wallace will stay in Pittsburgh.

Adam Schefter noted on ESPN today that before free agency started, the 49ers and Patriots were the two teams seen as most likely to go after Wallace. However, the 49ers have added Mario Manningham and Randy Moss, the Patriots have added Brandon Lloyd, Donte Stallworth and Anthony Gonzalez, and both teams now appear set to stick with the receivers they have.

It’s still possible that some team we’re not aware of is planning to swoop in and sign Wallace to an offer sheet at the last minute, but if so that team is doing a great job of keeping it quiet. There are no reports of any teams planning to do so.

One thing this shows is how much NFL teams value their first-round draft picks. Wallace is a tremendous receiver, one of the best deep threats in the league, but even his talent isn’t enough to make many teams interested in shipping a first-round pick to the Steelers as compensation, which is what it would take to sign Wallace away.

It also may show that Wallace is asking for more than he’s worth. If the reports are true that he’s expressing a desire to make more money than Larry Fitzgerald, that could dissuade even the teams that would be perfectly happy to give up a first-round pick to acquire him.

Once the April 20 deadline passes, the Steelers don’t have to worry about losing Wallace, at least not this year. Ultimately, Wallace may end up playing the 2012 season for the one-year tender of $2.74 million. Which is a bargain for the Steelers.

TRH
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
i think its CLEARLY for a couple reasons...

1. Wallace and his agent have put out feelers for months now placing him into a SKY-high, humungous money contract, which i believe, and i bet most (actually probably all teams), that he's just quite in that category
2. As others have stated, teams don't want to give up such a high draft pick in addition to paying him gazillions
3. His "one-trick pony" tag. Although some don't want to hear it....it sticks. He was lazy to a degree last year and was far from elite on coordinating his route-running. He has to show more (to get that type of contract)
4. And i think teams such as the Patriots, in their case, just wanted to resign Welker....Welker felt comfortable there, Brady liked him, the coaches liked him.

I've thought from the beginning.....Wallace stays here this year....and goes elsewhere next year. This will hinge on 2 very important factors, though...
One, he stays healthy and doesn't get injured
Two, he ups his game in a few aspects. He must...to get the type of contract him and his agent are seeking.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
i think its CLEARLY for a couple reasons...

1. Wallace and his agent have put out feelers for months now placing him into a SKY-high, humungous money contract, which i believe, and i bet most (actually probably all teams), that he's just quite in that category
2. As others have stated, teams don't want to give up such a high draft pick in addition to paying him gazillions
3. His "one-trick pony" tag. Although some don't want to hear it....it sticks. He was lazy to a degree last year and was far from elite on coordinating his route-running. He has to show more (to get that type of contract)
4. And i think teams such as the Patriots, in their case, just wanted to resign Welker....Welker felt comfortable there, Brady liked him, the coaches liked him.

I've thought from the beginning.....Wallace stays here this year....and goes elsewhere next year. This will hinge on 2 very important factors, though...
One, he stays healthy and doesn't get injured
Two, he ups his game in a few aspects. He must...to get the type of contract him and his agent are seeking.

Am I the only one that does think he is not a "One Trick Pony" ive seen him to short and slant routes and he does pretty good at it but we had a Stupid OC that made him go deep on almost every play.

I bet Mike will prove everyone that he is not a "One Trick Pony" this coming year and if we lose him next year I get to see all of you whine that we should have kept him

xbroughneck
04-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Am I the only one that does think he is not a "One Trick Pony" ive seen him to short and slant routes and he does pretty good at it but we had a Stupid OC that made him go deep on almost every play.

I bet Mike will prove everyone that he is not a "One Trick Pony" this coming year and if we lose him next year I get to see all of you whine that we should have kept him

When he does it his best he does it "pretty good".

That ain't deserving of top tier money. I don't care how fast the guy is. You've to to be able to rely on the guy to get open regardless of the route he runs.

Until I see more of a "mid range" game from Wallace he's nothing more than a poor man's Randy Moss. Doesn't have Moss hands and isn't a better route runner.

Steel Peon
04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Amazing this thread hasn't been merged into the "official" run on and on Mike Wallace thread yet. Congrats!

Bayz101
04-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Amazing this thread hasn't been merged into the "official" run on and on Mike Wallace thread yet. Congrats!

You ask and you shall receive. Don't complain about it though, it makes sense to put all Wallace threads in one. It may be offseason, but pages one and two of the Steelers forum would have consisted of threads about Wallace if it all wasn't merged, and that's ridiculous.

zcoop
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM

No ur not the only one. I don't understand how some consider paying Wallace league standard for his position overpaying, yet Heath is well paid for a TE. Heath will be the top paid guy assign to catch thr damn ball. We're gonna have to pony up and pay a WR at some point. I'm just saying..........

MACH1
04-06-2012, 07:15 PM
You ask and you shall receive. Don't complain about it though, it makes sense to put all Wallace threads in one. It may be offseason, but pages one and two of the Steelers forum would have consisted of threads about Wallace if it all wasn't merged, and that's ridiculous.

Exactly!!!

And all the same regurgitated speculation.

NSMaster56
04-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't see a scenario where Wallace is still a Steeler in 2013.

Between Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, and St. Louis and maybe some other longshot teams I'm not aware of (who will have cap space and/or be desperate for a WR), someone is going to overvalue and then overpay [for] Wallace.

I really like Wallace and he's clearly a benefit to this offense (especially considering the shackles of Arians), but the Steelers won 2 titles immediately before he was drafted and I firmly believe more titles can be won without (overpaying) him.

Concerning the future, I'm much more worried about the inability to improve the OL since Grimm left (which affects Big Ben's health and the run game) and misfiring on Shard (could have had Forte/Rice/CJ2K!!!).

Steelersfan87
04-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't see a scenario where Wallace is still a Steeler in 2013.

Really? I think there are pretty strong odds.

NSMaster56
04-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Really? I think there are pretty strong odds.

I'm probably basing my 'fears' on the 90's Steelers who let many a talented player leave via FA, but also...

One of the Browns/Rams is going to miss out on Justin Blackmon. Whoever does is going to want (need) to find a weapon for their QB of the future. Mike Holmgren and Jeff Fischer are the aggressive types to attempt such a savvy FA move.

John Elway/John Fox/Peyton Manning in Denver might want to go for the gusto, too. Their window is now.

Between those three (and possibly Cincy if they are a contender again in 2012), I think someone is making a 'Godfather offer'.

And one can never discount the foolishly bullish likes of Dallas, Washington, New York Jets...

The only way I see Wallace staying is if he values prestige/rings over money.

But my wide-eyed idealism is far gone and I'm not counting on that type of 'logic' or 'loyalty'.

Steel Peon
04-07-2012, 03:30 AM
You ask and you shall receive. Don't complain about it though, it makes sense to put all Wallace threads in one
Except though, the article in the thread I started wasn't just about Wallace.......it was also about Antonio Brown........maybe you missed that.......continue gentlemen, continue.

fred
04-09-2012, 03:30 AM
He needs to want to be a Steeler........the Organization won't pay out the BIG $ ...........look at all the
"FREE AGENTS" that aren't with the Steelers anymore.......and went for the "$" elsewhere............
hopefully he'll stay one more year and give the Steelers that 1 - 2 punch @ WR with Brown..........
get us another ring!

Curtain_of_Steel
04-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Steelers will pay him big bucks evenutally. You cant be a passing team without wr's, lol.

The situation aided us this year with the amount of free agents available, who knows what wouldve happened if all the wr's werent available.

As I said, RFA year, 1 years of tags, we still avg 8mill per. Very affordable and long term he would get more than that. Steelers in the past "let" players go due to feeling their best years were behind them. Most of the time they were right.
Faneca was a big excpetion, but he wanted a lenghty contract, and over all he went for the money, anchored a crappy line.
Woodson, it was time
Chad Brown did well, but most player who the steelers let walk, are on their last leg.

Wallace is not in the same grouping as those players.

pete74
04-11-2012, 06:43 PM
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter via Evan Silva, Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace doesn’t plan on signing his restricted free agent tender, so he won’t be attending OTA’s next week.

“He is not going to sign that (RFA) tender, which means he is not going to be at OTA’s with the Steelers, said Schefter, per Silva.

With clearly no teams interested in signing Wallace as a restricted free agent, he’ll be stuck in Pittsburgh this season and so far it looks like he doesn’t plan on playing without a long-term deal in place

TRH
04-11-2012, 06:53 PM
doesn't surprise me a bit.

This can be attributed to his blood-sucking leech of an agent. Stupid decision. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The BEST scenario for Mike, even if he doesn't get the big contract right now, is to play it out, play hard, play like you care, and then test the FA waters next year.

steeltheone
04-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Whatever Wallace...play out your contract and leave...

Curtain_of_Steel
04-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Well he will soon find out, he will be playing eventually. Each week, month, year he wants to sit is lost money. He wanted to test the market and his agent was a greedy dumbass. With the plethora of WR's available without the penalty of a draft pick caused Mikey to sit by the phone and wait. Probably priced himself out of the market, and leaving the Steelers as the sole bidder.

The Steelers won't raise the bidding paddly agsint themselves.

Man up Mikey and sign the tender when you can, than work to reneg a deal. But if you think you will strong arm the Steelers, than your agent, yet again, hasn't done his homework here.

Atlanta Dan
04-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Adding the contract issue to last season's behavior could lead to Wallace's attitude entering the Santonio Zone based on these comments by Gerry Dulac of the P-=G in his chat today

Steel Curtain Rising: Gerry, Ed really turned heads (or at least my head) with his suggestion that attitude issues might have played a role in the mid-season drop off in Mike Wallace's production. Last week in his chat he expanded on that that thought. What is your take on the issue?

Gerry Dulac: Ed always turns my head, especially when he calls my name from his seat next to mine.

I didn't see Ed's chat, but I am aware of what he speaks because he and I have discussed many times. My biggest concern with Mike Wallace, now that Hines Ward no longer sits next to him in the locker room, is that Wallace will become even more pithy and perhaps even petulant without a veteran watching over him. We saw at that times last season, especially late in the season when he wasn't getting all the attention, and I'm sure the Steelers are well aware of it too.

Look, I am a big fan of Wallace and his production. How many players you know who have never had a drop off since they came into the league? Wallace hasn't even flat-lined in three years. His numbers go up every year, and that is testament to him.

But attitude can sometimes get in the way, and let's hope it doesn't continue with Wallace. Otherwise, it will become a big problem, just as he is for cornerbacks.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115818-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-41112

LVSteelersfan
04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I am beginning to wish someone would bite on Wallace before the deadline. Someone waiting in the weeds. Or perhaps they could use Wallace as trade bait at draft time to get a mid round first pick. I doubt that is in the cards, but the Steelers could play hard ball and get rid of him and his jerk wad agent. His head has gotten so big that he thinks he is in the top 3 WRs in the league. Sorry Mike, but you don't have the size to be a red zone threat like Calvin J. , Andre Johnson and Fitz. Your skinny little butt is only good for long yardage where you have room to outrun the opponents. I wish we could get a receiver like one of those three because they are dangerous everywhere on the field.

TRH
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I am beginning to wish someone would bite on Wallace before the deadline. Someone waiting in the weeds. Or perhaps they could use Wallace as trade bait at draft time to get a mid round first pick. I doubt that is in the cards, but the Steelers could play hard ball and get rid of him and his jerk wad agent. His head has gotten so big that he thinks he is in the top 3 WRs in the league. Sorry Mike, but you don't have the size to be a red zone threat like Calvin J. , Andre Johnson and Fitz. Your skinny little butt is only good for long yardage where you have room to outrun the opponents. I wish we could get a receiver like one of those three because they are dangerous everywhere on the field.

I hate this situation as much as anyone and i know Wallace is making the wrong move here, no question. But lets all remember......MOST of this decision is not coming from Mike himself (although he's agreed to it). Its coming from the agent.

harrison'samonster
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Wallace should look at Ward vs. Burres/Holmes for a good example. Ward stayed in Pittsburgh, put up great numbers, was on two SB winning teams, and has a great shot at getting into the HOF.

Burress left for a bigger contract and shot himself. Holmes left for a bigger contract and has to play for the Jets.

If Wallace is going to make big time money either way, this decision is a no-brainer.

Goldsteel86
04-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Ah Hell, Wallace already made his bed, I would love to keep talking about Wallace but hell LETS GO PENS!!!!

LVSteelersfan
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Ah Hell, Wallace already made his bed, I would love to keep talking about Wallace but hell LETS GO PENS!!!!

Got that right. Pens up 2-0 late in the first.

Oops. Make that 3-0. WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!

Goldsteel86
04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Got that right. Pens up 2-0 late in the first.

Oops. Make that 3-0. WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!

Amen Brother!!!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: :tt03::tt::tt04:

Steelerfreak58
04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
He is going to be sitting out more then just the OTA's I figure. He is not going to want to sign the FA tender. His agent has it stuck in his head he is worth more then he really is worth...

The team hopefully has a plan in place if he decides to sit out.

steelerchad
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Wallace has played well enough to earn a big contract. But, he's on the hook to play this season at 2.7M or sit and make nothing. If I was him, I wouldn't want to take the risk of getting hurt or having Ben get hurt and having a bad season going into free agency. The Steelers and Wallace should meet in the middle, somewhere around $35M for 5 years. Give him a decent bonus up front and he's protected from injury hurting his big payday next year. And the Steelers lock up their #1 for his prime years.
Can't we all just get along. Compromise guys.

Goldsteel86
04-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Its real easy he is a "Half Season Trick Pony", as soon as he realizes he isn't bigger than the game and the franchise who gave him his shot, he'll be worth the money. Until then, he is nothing better than a Terrell Owens IMO, he is being unbelieveably selfish and has turned his back on the Steelers, so good riddence if he doesn't mature, C-YA!!! :mad:

zcoop
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Funny how many on this board think they know what Mike is thinking but they couldn't be further from the truth. I don't understand the hate for a young player whose given much to this organization. I don't think Mike will hold out, that's the mantra of a talking head with too much time on his hands.

55BaileyFan
04-11-2012, 07:27 PM
TRADE HIM.

This is ridiculous. Yeah, he's had good numbers and what not but come on; he was pretty much a side dish to the freak of a WR, Antonio Brown, the last half of the season. With Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, the newly signed Derrick Williams and the WR's that available via the draft...trade him and get another higher pick.

Hell, they could dangle him to NE for one of their 2 first rounders. This attitude is not welcome in the Burgh.

Goldsteel86
04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Funny how many on this board think they know what Mike is thinking but they couldn't be further from the truth. I don't understand the hate for a young player whose given much to this organization. I don't think Mike will hold out, that's the mantra of a talking head with too much time on his hands.

What has Wallace done for this orginization so far? SB MVP, NFL POY, Team MVP? Tell us please other than a "Flash in the pan" at times, what significantly has Wallace done?

steeltheone
04-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Don't worry...He has to show to gain eligibity for unrestricted free agency next year......He has no leverage!

MasterOfPuppets
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Mike Wallace reportedly has no plans to sign his tender

Posted by Josh Alper on April 11, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/mike-wallace.jpg?w=250 Getty ImagesThere’s no sign that another team is going to offer Mike Wallace (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace) a contract before the deadline to sign restricted free agents passes on April 20th, but that isn’t moving Wallace closer to signing his tender from the Steelers.
Tony Hipchest of steelersfever.com reported on NFL Live Wednesday that Wallace has no plans to sign his tender, which would pay him $2.742 million, and will sit out the team’s offseason activities if he doesn’t get a new deal. Per Schefter, the two sides have had a hard time finding common ground on a new contract, which sets the stage for a long absence if Wallace goes through with this course of action.
It’s not a tactic that has met with much success in the past since teams know players need to eventually report to work in order to accrue the last year they need to become unrestricted free agents. We’re a long way off from that point, but it is the biggest piece of leverage that teams have in these standoffs.
For the Steelers, any deal they might reach with Wallace has bigger ramifications as well. Antonio Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown) will be a restricted free agent next year and anything they do with Wallace will become the starting point for any negotiations with Brown.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/11/mike-wallace-reportedly-has-no-plans-to-sign-his-tender/

steeltheone
04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
What has Wallace done for this orginization so far? SB MVP, NFL POY, Team MVP? Tell us please other than a "Flash in the pan" at times, what significantly has Wallace done?

Good point...For 2 straight years our wideouts have been average in big games.....Time for that to change!

Goldsteel86
04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Don't worry...He has to show to gain eligibity for unrestricted free agency next year......He has no leverage!

Amen, I'll bet the F.O. would care less at this point, Steeler football will go on, with or without Wallace.

NSMaster56
04-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Wallace would be wise not to follow in the steps/ways of Joey Galloway.

zcoop
04-11-2012, 07:54 PM

He's done the job that he has been paid to do. After three years, I'd say he's done quite well. How many vets on our team has made SB MVP, POY? Come on man if you want to have a discussion, at least be realistic.

steeltheone
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM
He's done the job that he has been paid to do. After three years, I'd say he's done quite well. How many vets on our team has made SB MVP, POY? Come on man if you want to have a discussion, at least be realistic.

Who the hell you talking about? Wallace disappears in playoff games to this point..

Goldsteel86
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM

Ummm before Hines Ward retired he was a SB MVP, Santonio Holmes was an SB MVP now against the Packers where was Wallace? Against the Broncos, where was Wallace, come on man, if you want to discuss at least know your receivers. Wallace has put up nice numbers in the regular season (first half that is) other than that he blows his load tooo soon, especiaaly last year as the #1 WR.

FrancoLambert
04-11-2012, 08:14 PM
His head has exploded since he made a name for himself.
He was a bit of a prima-dona this past season, always looking for the flag.
You think he may be a little pissed about the lack of offers for his services?
I suspect other teams aern't completely sold on him to invest so much.
Still a one-trick pony??
Brown's more valuable anyway.

zcoop
04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Ummm before Hines Ward retired he was a SB MVP, Santonio Holmes was an SB MVP now against the Packers where was Wallace? Against the Broncos, where was Wallace, come on man, if you want to discuss at least know your receivers. Wallace has put up nice numbers in the regular season (first half that is) other than that he blows his load tooo soon, especiaaly last year as the #1 WR.

You're kidding, right? Hines had Holmes and other veteran WRs when he won MVP. Holmes had Ward, Sweed, Wallace (rookie) when he won his. Last year, Wallace was the top guy with some old vets (HInes and Randle El) and mainly youngsters at the position. Why do you think Brown had so many catches? Teams focused on shutting Wallace down and Big Ben's being hurt didn't help either.

Do you think Ben's being hurt affected Wallaces numbers? Hopefully, i'll get an honest and intelligent response, then we can continue.

Steel Peon
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Wow.......yet another Mike Wallace thread in existence outside the official one, that is exclusively about Wallace and nobody else.......you guys are slipping.

Steelersfan87
04-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow.......yet another Mike Wallace thread in existence outside the official one, that is exclusively about Wallace and nobody else.......you guys are slipping.

The difference is that there's actually news for once.

And Wallace had 9 catches for 89 yards and a touchdown in the super bowl.

TRH
04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
You're kidding, right? Hines had Holmes and other veteran WRs when he won MVP. Holmes had Ward, Sweed, Wallace (rookie) when he won his. Last year, Wallace was the top guy with some old vets (HInes and Randle El) and mainly youngsters at the position. Why do you think Brown had so many catches? Teams focused on shutting Wallace down and Big Ben's being hurt didn't help either.

Do you think Ben's being hurt affected Wallaces numbers? Hopefully, i'll get an honest and intelligent response, then we can continue.

I don't think there's any discrepancy among any of the Steeler fans here (or anywhere for that matter) that Wallace should get a big contract of some sort. No one is disputing that.
What i, and many others ARE disputing though, is Wallace and his agent demanding Fitzgerald type money (who, c'mon, realistically isn't worth what he's making...they're mortgaging the franchise for Fitz), and then the prima donna attitude on top of it.
Wallace has been a very good player so far, but certainly no Jerry Rice or insert many other names here, and i don't think anyone, fans or team, want to pay him pretty near elite QB type of money and put the franchise in a position where we won't be able to afford anybody else.

That said, if Wallace sits or we tell him to get lost, the team will still find a way to play and win.
Always does.

Bayz101
04-11-2012, 09:49 PM

With Mike Wallace's off-season attention, new articles are written about him every day, much of them containing information with no real news, just recycled and re-worded news from the days before. Now, with no-news articles about Wallace comes articles with actual significance. We just decided to keep ALL Mike Wallace articles in one spot this off-season, because there'll be something new to post every day, and it makes no sense having nine topics on the same guy, all discussing the same thing: His off-season activity.

This is the third or fourth time you've had something sarcastic to say about this. It's very puzzling to me.

wera176
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
"Do you think Ben's being hurt affected Wallaces numbers? Hopefully, i'll get an honest and intelligent response, then we can continue."

Without a doubt. First, no way for Ben to scramble around to buy enough time, and secondly (and the real reason) he just couldn't throw that far with enough zip on 1 leg...

Bayz101
04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
"Do you think Ben's being hurt affected Wallaces numbers? Hopefully, i'll get an honest and intelligent response, then we can continue."

Without a doubt. First, no way for Ben to scramble around to buy enough time, and secondly (and the real reason) he just couldn't throw that far with enough zip on 1 leg...

Well, I don't agree that "Wallace vanished for the second half of the season" but your argument is a little off.

"First, no way for Ben to scramble around to buy enough time, and secondly (and the real reason) he just couldn't throw that far with enough zip on 1 leg...."

Sure, that's an excuse, but Ben's ankle injury didn't happen until week 14? That's more than half a season, and half a season sure seems to be the popular mark to a lot of members for when Wallace dropped off in productivity.

xbroughneck
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Man...I got excited for a second. :coffee:

Steelersfan87
04-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Week 9: 4 catches for 68 yards and a touchdown
Week 10: 6 catches for 54 yards, 2 rushes for 31 yards
Bye
Week 12: 2 catches for 17 yards
Week 13: 3 catches for 38 yards, 2 touchdowns
Week 14: 4 catches for 57 yards, 1 rush for 21 yards
Week 15: 5 catches for 66 yards
Week 16: 4 catches for 82 yards
Week 17: 1 catch for 11 yards

OX1947
04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
9 days left for a team to come in and get him for a 1st rounder. My guess is no one will get him, and worse case, Mike Wallace will have to sign the tender to not delay his unrestricted free agency for next year if the Steelers decide that he wants too much money. I am actually hoping someone gets him before the 20th so the Steelers can have 2 first rounders.

Bayz101
04-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I'd like to highlight what I said above: Well, I don't agree that "Wallace vanished for the second half of the season" but your argument is a little off.

The guy's argument was that because of Ben's ankle injury, he was unable to hit Wallace deep, contributing to his second-half slump. That's not correct, because Ben's ankle injury came in the first Browns game, near the end of the season. I believe week fourteen. And as you can see, Wallace actually pulled in more yardage from week's 14 through 16 than he did most of the second half.

Steelersfan87
04-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Charlie Batch quarterbacked week 16.

Wallace caught 2 passes for 24 yards in the first Cleveland game after Roethlisberger got injured. One was for 2 yards, the other was for 22 yards, about 20 of which was YAC.

Millers the sh!t
04-12-2012, 03:01 AM
Blah blah blah, let the greedy prick walk. If he wants to have that attitude about things I hope he gos to a dump team and he disappears from the limelight forever. Remember all the attention and big plays Randy Moss got when he played for the Raiders?

Me neither......

I hope he gets traded so we can get a better pick or multiple picks in future rounds or seasons.

pete74
04-12-2012, 03:47 AM
With Mike Wallace's off-season attention, new articles are written about him every day, much of them containing information with no real news, just recycled and re-worded news from the days before. Now, with no-news articles about Wallace comes articles with actual significance. We just decided to keep ALL Mike Wallace articles in one spot this off-season, because there'll be something new to post every day, and it makes no sense having nine topics on the same guy, all discussing the same thing: His off-season activity.

This is the third or fourth time you've had something sarcastic to say about this. It's very puzzling to me.

this is a little different. its stating he will not show for OTA;s. were not going to start combining every thread on certain players during the season now are we? i understand that alot deserved to be merged here but not when the topic is different. yes same player but different topic. io would hate to have to go back and merge every single thread over the years that talk about Ben Rothlisberger

Rick5895
04-12-2012, 04:40 AM
If Wallace wants to hold out then let him, I hope they don't cave to his demands. I love Mike and he is great with this offense but he is not bigger than the team, others have found this out (bye Santo and Plax).
Here's a thought, if he is not signed by say this draft then trade his rights to a WR needy team like Jax, miami or Tampa for thier second round and maybe a 5th round pick right before the draft. Let him go somewhere else and then let him realize what he has in the "burgh

Bayz101
04-12-2012, 05:10 AM
this is a little different. its stating he will not show for OTA;s. were not going to start combining every thread on certain players during the season now are we? i understand that alot deserved to be merged here but not when the topic is different. yes same player but different topic. io would hate to have to go back and merge every single thread over the years that talk about Ben Rothlisberger

This is merely an off-season thing when it comes to Wallace. There's new things coming up on him every day, and we decided to start merging threads into one to prevent an overload of threads on the same guy. We won't continue merging everything into one thread once the season get's going, as there'll obviously be a lot more to talk about then. I understand this article is more of significance than other's on Wallace, but it's really nothing we didn't see coming. Or at least something I and a lot of other people didn't see coming.

Pretty sure we'll cut out the merging once he inks his name, which I believe will be soon. It's the same thing with Arians. Their was a new thread every day on him needing to be fired, and eventually it was all merged and an "official" thread was created. Only difference here is there's not much of a chance that any major moves will be made with Wallace and the need to have an official thread on him will no longer be necessary.

micraydim
04-12-2012, 06:40 AM
i will throw a freakin party if carolina signs him

haha . I dont think he would go to Carolina . :coffee:

Steel Peon
04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
We just decided to keep ALL Mike Wallace articles in one spot this off-season, because there'll be something new to post every day, and it makes no sense having nine topics on the same guy, all discussing the same thing: His off-season activity.

Wow, I guess I absolutely HAVE to spell it out for you.

The thread I started was the first article that NFL.com posted regarding why teams were not immediately jumping on Wallace, and also compared his abilities to Antonio Brown, who is also set to become a hot commodity. Now you guys may have seen discussions like this transpiring in these forums well ahead of the fact......like maybe even a year ago......but there had never been an official article from the NFL outlining these very considerations.

You guys could even have gotten a little self-congratulatory in that thread, knowing full well that your community had been scooping major sports news organizations for quite some time now on the subject, but instead decided that it was pretty generic information by relegating into Mike Wallace's basement even though the article wasn't exclusively about him. To prove my point here are the only 2 replies that had a chance to come in before it was abrubtly moved:

And, in response to that statement:
I agree, I just wish they would sign him to a long term deal now instead of waiting. If you have a good player, do everything you can to keep them.

I think the only people that aren't starting to see Wallace for what he is is him and his agent. He is a good player, but IMO way, way, way overrated.

Notice that both poasters are talking about Brown here, in addition to Wallace, just like the NFL article......this is what the thread (and the article) was meant to do, not just get lumped in with his-highness Mike Wallace. If anything, the thread could have been merged with the "Brown vs Wallace" thread, but I still think it would've detracted from the significance of NFL.com acknowledging this subject for the first time. I think you guys are just too trigger happy to be "parents" about this Wallace thing, and might be inadvertently squashing good conversations on the matter.

And, in case you're still confused about my sarcasm, the 2 threads since then that've been merged into this one, and I've commented about being solo, had Wallace exclusively as it's subject matter, and was not merged as quickly. You started me down this path with your quick trigger finger, so prepare to hear about it every time you're not as fast about something more applicable.

PS.......moving redundant threads about identical news articles is fine with me, but if news organizations did the same thing you guys did with their headlines then they'd go out of business.

MACH1
04-12-2012, 12:13 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQhFVrsnc6n3Biclk4DH-cN7lhGucGP10BHcNyboPNchAgbypTdQg8V4I35Q

rcoplien
04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I think he should sign and see how he is for another year. He should not be getting this greedy with being only a year away from being a free agent. They guy is one of the fastest in the NFL but as far as blocking like Hines Ward goes he is basically a feather on the field!!. He can't block well and when he does get hit he goes flying.

Steel Peon
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
same player but different topic. io would hate to have to go back and merge every single thread over the years that talk about Ben Rothlisberger
And strong with this one as well.

pete74
04-12-2012, 12:45 PM
This is merely an off-season thing when it comes to Wallace. There's new things coming up on him every day, and we decided to start merging threads into one to prevent an overload of threads on the same guy. We won't continue merging everything into one thread once the season get's going, as there'll obviously be a lot more to talk about then. I understand this article is more of significance than other's on Wallace, but it's really nothing we didn't see coming. Or at least something I and a lot of other people didn't see coming.

Pretty sure we'll cut out the merging once he inks his name, which I believe will be soon. It's the same thing with Arians. Their was a new thread every day on him needing to be fired, and eventually it was all merged and an "official" thread was created. Only difference here is there's not much of a chance that any major moves will be made with Wallace and the need to have an official thread on him will no longer be necessary.
As long as the story or topic is different then lets leave it alone from here on out. I understand that alot of people posted threads stating the same thing and it needed to be merged but some deserve there own thread to keep things separate. Were not about to start a separate thread on each player were we can only post about them there are we? Were slow in the offseason and a few more threads may liven this place up. I'm not trying to be a dick just stating my opinion
I think you do a hell of a job here and respect your opinion

MACH1
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
As long as the story or topic is different then lets leave it alone from here on out. I understand that alot of people posted threads stating the same thing and it needed to be merged but some deserve there own thread to keep things separate. Were not about to start a separate thread on each player were we can only post about them there are we? Were slow in the offseason and a few more threads may liven this place up. I'm not trying to be a dick just stating my opinion

It's not about starting separate threads for each player, just trying to keep all the wallace drama contained in one spot for now. The same as the "Fire Arians" thread was for.
We don't need the whole first page all about mike wallace either. :noidea:

But yes, when there is new news it should get it's own thread.

Fire Arians
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
i wonder if indy's message board will have a fire arians thread before this season's over lol

Bill Cowher's Jaw
04-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Trade interest:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82842a0c/article/mike-wallace-generates-trade-interest-from-several-teams?module=HP11_headline_stack

QCbeauBlak
04-12-2012, 02:02 PM
It is the offseason and there is not much to talk about.. but fishing through merged threads to find pockets of discussion on breaking news really sucks

sure Mike Wallace holding out may not be big news to you guys, but as a casual visitor to the forum, I browse the subjects and click on what seems interesting. It sucks to read breaking news on other sites and have to read non-steeler fans' comments.. Then turn around, come here and have to sift through 60 odd pages to find where that discussion began..

This is just my 2 cents. I really do not care that much seriously, but the way this thread is set up, I now go to other pages to read mike wallace news. Like I said, it is the offseason. There is nothing really to talk about but new threads, good or bad, keep me coming back. Not sticky's or merged threads

pete74
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Trade interest:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82842a0c/article/mike-wallace-generates-trade-interest-from-several-teams?module=HP11_headline_stack

i wanted to keep Wallace more then anyone but after hearing how much money he wants and now that he will hold out i really hope we trade him for a 1st round pick.

PhantomJB93
04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
i wanted to keep Wallace more then anyone but after hearing how much money he wants and now that he will hold out i really hope we trade him for a 1st round pick.

Yeah it's starting to look like there's no way we keep him past 2012 and I'd rather just take the first round pick than keep him one more season and watch him walk without the compensation.

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2012, 04:25 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQhFVrsnc6n3Biclk4DH-cN7lhGucGP10BHcNyboPNchAgbypTdQg8V4I35Q
:sofunny:

Steelers5895
04-12-2012, 08:41 PM
It could happen. What is a fair price? I'd hate to see him go but if it helps the Steelers I am for it as WR is a pretty easy position to replace someone.

If we could get a mid round 1 or even better than 25 pick, a 2013 1st or a 2012 second, maybe a prospect on defense I'd be fine with it.

I don't see anyone giving that much up.

tanda10506
04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't think trading him for any draft pick is a good idea. College to pro is a huge gap and I wouldn't want to trade a good/soon to be great pro WR for a potential bust.

Bayz101
04-12-2012, 08:50 PM

The only real reason this official thread was created was to limit the amount of threads about Wallace posted in the main forum. So I wouldn't mind allowing threads with significant news articles slip by and have it's own thread, merely because it'd have a better chance of being seen as opposed to one merged with or posted in here. However, we're going to have to start slapping a tag on those threads so that Steel Peon doesn't throw a hissy fit when he see's it's been posted out side of the official thread :chuckle:

We outta make Steel a moderator, this guy sure know's what he's doing!

But in all seriousness. The only real reason we're posting articles about and relating to Wallace in this thread is because we're trying to thin out the mass number of threads about him in the main forum. No reason to have an entire page full of threads about the same person, regardless of the differential.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-12-2012, 09:01 PM
if someone wanted to give up a 1 and sign him, they wouldve done it.So trading him for a 1, than having that team fork out the cash to boot? Again, it wouldve happened if that s the case.

NSMaster56
04-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't think trading him for any draft pick is a good idea. College to pro is a huge gap and I wouldn't want to trade a good/soon to be great pro WR for a potential bust.

Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Mike Wallace, A.J. Green...

Plenty of rookie recievers can make an impact.

That said, I don't think Wallace will be traded (although I wouldn't be against it).

Millers the sh!t
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
It's better than getting nothing. Like what's probably gonna happen.

QCbeauBlak
04-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Offseasons make me hate players. Maybe I have too much free time. I know it is just a business but screw Mike Wallace. As fans, we look at the bigger picture. We are more advanced today than ever but don't players have a big picture outlook anywhere in their thick heads?

It is easy for us to say what we would do if we were players. If I were an elite NFL football player, I would want to make a lot of money but at the same time, I would want to play with other great players. Just look at the NBA. You have super teams now but if you look at their pay, players like LeBron and D. Wade are making wayyyy less then they would if they were not on the same team. Then again, their salaries do not start and end with their FO, they have endorsements. So I don't know. WTF was my point? yeah, screw Mike Wallace!!

Millers the sh!t
04-12-2012, 09:11 PM
if someone wanted to give up a 1 and sign him, they wouldve done it.So trading him for a 1, than having that team fork out the cash to boot? Again, it wouldve happened if that s the case.

Not necessarily so. If there is a team sitting in the top 15 maybe they have a bigger need that they want to secure this year in the draft and hope that they do better the next season and risk a lower 2013 draft pick for Wallace.

TRH
04-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Offseasons make me hate players. Maybe I have too much free time. I know it is just a business but screw Mike Wallace. As fans, we look at the bigger picture. We are more advanced today than ever but don't players have a big picture outlook anywhere in their thick heads?

It is easy for us to say what we would do if we were players. If I were an elite NFL football player, I would want to make a lot of money but at the same time, I would want to play with other great players. Just look at the NBA. You have super teams now but if you look at their pay, players like LeBron and D. Wade are making wayyyy less then they would if they were not on the same team. Then again, their salaries do not start and end with their FO, they have endorsements. So I don't know. WTF was my point? yeah, screw Mike Wallace!!

It's cool....blame Wallace (i do too....), but we can't put it all on Mike. Its the %#!&!*# agent who is doing this. Put at least 70% of the blame squarely on that leech.
As long as Mike will go along with the agent's recommendations, and so far it appears that he is, both of them can take a hike in my book.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but i'm thinking there's no good outcome here....no one's going to be happy.
He leaves, people will be p**sed because he's a greedy b***tard. They'll be mad we didn't pay him enough.
He signs with us (which is highly doubtful), people will be angry that we gave him all the money and have none left to spend at other positions of need.

ricardisimo
04-13-2012, 04:13 AM
That his agent hasn't clarified publicly just how much they're asking for suggests to me that he's not very good and can't play the PR game. However, I really don't think holding out is even remotely a possibility. More than likely, they are simply laying the "Don't you dare even think about tagging us next year" groundwork. Convince the boss that you're crazy, and that you're capable of anything, and then maybe they're less likely to use the franchise tag.

A separate issue is why players fear the franchise tag. Getting the average of the top five players at your position is a great deal for everyone except the top two or three players at that position, who are probably already under contract. Mike Wallace is NOT in the top three, so why not get more for one year or two, and then sign a long-term contract? :noidea:

TRH
04-13-2012, 07:24 AM

A separate issue is why players fear the franchise tag. Getting the average of the top five players at your position is a great deal for everyone except the top two or three players at that position, who are probably already under contract. Mike Wallace is NOT in the top three, so why not get more for one year or two, and then sign a long-term contract? :noidea:

2 reason's i see. One is that "top 5" money doesn't appear to be good enough (which is alaming..), and two, no one's patient anymore. They want that long-term security RIGHT now...not next year.

Another new trend that seems to be emerging is players speaking out that they've "outplayed" their contract (even though they're right in the middle of the one they signed) and want new ones. Ex., see Lance Briggs in Chicago. And they caved. I'd like to see some more teams put their foot down. This isn't a one-sided show.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Once a certain date occurs, the Steelers can lower the tag value substantially. At that point Wallace is screwed further and loses out. He can sit and pout all he wants. He can blame is agent for not handling things the right way.

As I have said over n over for the past 2 months. The Steelers own his ass for roughly 3 years at roughly 22-24mill total. 1 RFA tag, 2 franchise tags. There is nothing a side from sitting out that Wallace can do. Further more he still has to play in 2012 or they start the whole process over a agin, and teams are not going to ante up a 1, plus big bucks for a whiney baby.
The Chargers Jackson got his due, because he "played" it out. So don't use that as an example of a baby getting his money. He man'ed up and played.

If he isn't happy blame the the big bad "UNION" who voted for the pact.

OX1947
04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Steelers win from every side there is. If someone picks him up now and overpays him, they get another 1st next week. If he plays one more year, Steelers get him for one more year while they try and win a Super Bowl. If he finally decides to sign and not risk it, he is here long term. If he plays one more year and bolts, the Steelers get a 3rd round comp pick next year.

I have said this before, no receiver in the NFL, whether it being Fitz, Megatron or who ever is playing in the league right now is worth 10 mil guaranteed a year. Receivers are everywhere and with the passing rules now, there are plenty of Victor Cruz's and Antonio Brown's being picked up in 6th rounds and as free agents who make an immediate impact.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-13-2012, 01:09 PM
OX, 6th's are rare who produce. More so rare that they even get tossed into the mix soon. Steelers had injuries and Brown got to shine early. But he is not Wallace, he is still a totally different WR. Cant run past people, cant jump up, he is a slot/route guy from the get go.

If I'm the Steelers, which luckily for everyone I"m not.. lol.. If in fact Wallace is playing hardball, which we do not know for certain. This whole thing started with an idiot from ESPN. But lets assume it is occuring. Once the June/July occurs Wallace contract gets reduced to 500k, which by the rule his own "UNION" agreed too. Cry to the unions like everyone else does, Hoffa was the only one who made out with unions right up till he got buried in NJ.
We do it. No playing games. At that point, you play or sit, its your call Mike. BUT understand, you will be playing at some point with that RFA tag price and we will tag you next year for 9million when we need too. So I take that savings and go against Steeler history and work out a cap freidnly deal with Brown. So we dont have 2 headaches next year. Lock one down and work the system on Wallace. Brown is not a 8/9/10 mill WR on any time. You guy way over value him. But he will get a nice contract regardless. So pay him now to offest tomorrows contract.His value will only go up.

I'm all for signing him long term. But its business right Mike? You said it yourself, its biznes!. Steelers have the RFA tag and I'm guessing up to 2 franchise years. Your ours for 3 years if you play this year. None of those 3 years will avg 10mill. They will avg 8mill tops, probably little less. So be a team guy, take the hit now with the signing bonus and another roster bonus for next year like ALL good Steelers have done. Your not the exception but you will be the example lol... But your not getting 8/120million just because some brain dead idiot signed Fitz to that and killed their entire team doing it. Your not Megatron either.

OX1947
04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
OX, 6th's are rare who produce. More so rare that they even get tossed into the mix soon. Steelers had injuries and Brown got to shine early. But he is not Wallace, he is still a totally different WR. Cant run past people, cant jump up, he is a slot/route guy from the get go.

If I'm the Steelers, which luckily for everyone I"m not.. lol.. If in fact Wallace is playing hardball, which we do not know for certain. This whole thing started with an idiot from ESPN. But lets assume it is occuring. Once the June/July occurs Wallace contract gets reduced to 500k, which by the rule his own "UNION" agreed too. Cry to the unions like everyone else does, Hoffa was the only one who made out with unions right up till he got buried in NJ.
We do it. No playing games. At that point, you play or sit, its your call Mike. BUT understand, you will be playing at some point with that RFA tag price and we will tag you next year for 9million when we need too. So I take that savings and go against Steeler history and work out a cap freidnly deal with Brown. So we dont have 2 headaches next year. Lock one down and work the system on Wallace. Brown is not a 8/9/10 mill WR on any time. You guy way over value him. But he will get a nice contract regardless. So pay him now to offest tomorrows contract.His value will only go up.

I'm all for signing him long term. But its business right Mike? You said it yourself, its biznes!. Steelers have the RFA tag and I'm guessing up to 2 franchise years. Your ours for 3 years if you play this year. None of those 3 years will avg 10mill. They will avg 8mill tops, probably little less. So be a team guy, take the hit now with the signing bonus and another roster bonus for next year like ALL good Steelers have done. Your not the exception but you will be the example lol... But your not getting 8/120million just because some brain dead idiot signed Fitz to that and killed their entire team doing it. Your not Megatron either.

Steelers have the leverage. I am not too worried. I am excited about the draft.

Hawaii 5-0
04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Is Mike Wallace dumber than we thought?

Posted on April 13, 2012 by Reto

This whole Mike Wallace contract thing is getting a little bit ridiculous now. A month ago when Wallace came out and said he wanted Larry Fitzgerald money, I was convinced it was because he was trying to cut off teams that might be interested by giving them insane demands – he’s not worth Fitz cash yet so if there was a team dumb enough to offer it to him, why wouldn’t he take it. Then, last week, Antonio Brown was more confident than the old Ben Roethlisberger at Ladies’ Night when he said Wallace would be with the Steelers this season. Now, teams are apparently interested in trading for Wallace.

So far, all that Wallace had said about this whole thing is that he wants to remain a Steeler…that and the whole $120-milllion deal he’s “seeking.” All the information that’s out now has been vommed by Wallace’s agent – that’s nothing new. No teams or beat writers from other cities have been tlaking about trading for Wallace so it’s probably just Wallace’s agent blowing smoke up the Steelers’ butt hole. For anyone that thinks Wallace is to blame for this charade probably also thinks Art Rooney II should just cut him a check for $120 mil to put an end to all of this.

Wallace isn’t dumb…actually, he’s a genius. He did the Steelers a favor by putting that insane price tag on his forehead because they control what happens next, and he couldn’t be playing this situation any cooler with the way he’s just letting everyone else do the talking while he’s just living the life.

Wallace doesn’t want to sign his $2.7-mil tender – can you blame him? He may not be worth $15 mil a year but he’s definitely earned more than $3 mil. If that means he wants to sit out OTA’s and training camp while the two sides try to agree on something, that’s cool – he wouldn’t be the first Steelers receiver to sit out for a contract (if Hines was allowed to, why not his successor?) And if Wallace’s camp doesn’t want to agree on anything and he decides to sit out an entire year, that’s cool too - we’ll be right back in this same situation next year because Wallace will still be a RFA if he sits out.

There are people that love comparing this situation to the Santonio Holmes trade after he was named Super Bowl MVP. The Steelers got a fifth-round pick for Holmes but Holmes also had to sit the first four games of the year because he liked to Wake & Bake, and he was about to become an unrestricted free agent after the season. Wallace doesn’t come with any of that baggage – he just wants a contract.

Kevin Colbert would be the dumb one here if he settles to trade Wallace for anything less than a first-round pick (that’s what his tender price is and he has 3,206 receiving yards and 24 touchdowns in just three years as a pro) but no one came calling when Wallace was tenderized to begin with so why all of the “interest” all of a sudden? If a team aqcuires Walalce they’re still going to have to pay him the big bucks so really, nothing’s changed so why would teams suddenly change their minds about acquiring him? The Steelers could survive losing Wallace for a first-round pick but would the offense really be as effective with Emmanuel Sanders or Jerricho Cotchery as the No. 2?

Steeler Nation wants Wallace here. Colbert wants Wallace here. Brown wants Wallace here. And most importantly Ben wants Wallace here. They all want the same thing that Wallace wants and that’s to get a deal done. Considering the two Jackson deals, Wallace’s next contract should look something like: 5 years/60 million with $18-mil guaranteed.

Wallace will probably end up getting something close to that; whether he gets it in the Burgh remains to be seen. But the whole process of locking up high-profile RFA’s is a process, and Wallace knows that. All this “teams are interested” talk is just the next step Wallace needs to take to get some straight cash, and he knows that too…because he’s not as dumb as we think.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/is_mike_wallace_dumber_than_we_thought/10548391

Curtain_of_Steel
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Right now, Wallace doesn't have to sign and the Steelers don't need him to sign. In 4 days he is locked in. Come June or July his pay can be recuded to 500k. He hasn't made thatmuch money to lose a year of salary and be right back at the same point next year. Its just posturing, and in fact there still is nothing official of any of his salary demands.
The market told him, he was a crazy man if in fact he asked for Fitz's money. No offers, your demands can't start where no one even made you an offer. Lets face it there are a lot of dumb ass teams with a lot of available money to spend and they still didn't spend it.

Thank your agent!

I'll take an RFA year and 2 Franchise tags. We own you for 3 years Mikey.

I think a deal will get done. The steelrs are filling in their gaps etc, once the dust settles on the draft pick contracts, they will know what they need to spend and what creativity they have to do to appease everyone.

pete74
04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Right now, Wallace doesn't have to sign and the Steelers don't need him to sign. In 4 days he is locked in. Come June or July his pay can be recuded to 500k. He hasn't made thatmuch money to lose a year of salary and be right back at the same point next year. Its just posturing, and in fact there still is nothing official of any of his salary demands.
The market told him, he was a crazy man if in fact he asked for Fitz's money. No offers, your demands can't start where no one even made you an offer. Lets face it there are a lot of dumb ass teams with a lot of available money to spend and they still didn't spend it.

Thank your agent!

I'll take an RFA year and 2 Franchise tags. We own you for 3 years Mikey.

I think a deal will get done. The steelrs are filling in their gaps etc, once the dust settles on the draft pick contracts, they will know what they need to spend and what creativity they have to do to appease everyone.
we cant afford to franchise him next season. next year will be just as tight as this year

tony hipchest
04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
this article isnt breaking news or even an update on the situation, just a blogger editorializing. this post coulda very well been written by one of our posters in the main mike wallace thread, and fit in there just fine, therefore it should be moved.

both responses to this post (as well as the points in the original topic) have already been repeated by many posters ad nauseum...

NSMaster56
04-16-2012, 09:17 PM
At this point it's tough for me to decide which topic is more tiring nad f'd out concerning Pittsburgh sports:

Pedro Alvarez or Mike Wallace.

Hawaii 5-0
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Mike Wallace reportedly still not drawing interest from any teams

APR19
WRITTEN BY PAUL JACKIEWICZ

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter per Evan Silva, it still doesn’t look like there are any teams that are willing to sign restricted free agent Mike Wallace to an offer sheet.

“It doesn’t look like there’s a team out there willing to sign (him) to an offer sheet,” said Schefter per Silva.

The deadline for teams to sign Wallace as a RFA is tomorrow (Friday). With teams showing no interest in signing Wallace, it looks like he’ll certainly be playing for the Steelers in 2012.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_wallace_reportedly_still_not_drawing_interest _from_any_teams/10594108

Curtain_of_Steel
04-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Is it midnight tonight he becomes ours, officially? Or it is 11:59pm on the 20th?Or a specific time? Tomorrow?

Curtain_of_Steel
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
pete 74, I dont think next year will be as tight, as there will be people coming off the books, like Hampton and we have restructures that can be done that werent needed this year.

We can easily franchise him next year. Of course it depends on this years draft and what holes we are filling to see what cuts will occur next year.

TRH
04-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Wallace and his agent, trying to play the Steelers, foolishly let it be known to both sources and the Steelers that they want "sun, moon, and the stars" type money.
Reportedly, some teams had initially expressed interest in talking with us even though they had to give up a draft pick, but the "big money" demands sent those teams scurrying for the hills to get away from Wallace as fast as possible.

I'm still scratching my head over all of this as to why Wallace, who has been very good and likely would have got excellent money, is demanding such a ultra-huge contract when he clearly is not quite at THAT level yet. He's looking like a real chump right now, not only to us, but to the rest of the league.
Well....we're down to the wire now....we'll see if he signs that tender or not. When this many "sources" keep continually reporting that this is whats going on, more oft than not its exactly whats happening. If he doesn't sign, the talk has been accurate......if he does sign it, its been exaggerated.

mesaSteeler
04-19-2012, 11:50 PM
NFL Draft: Time running out for Wallace
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/nfl-draft-time-running-out-for-wallace-632256/?print=1

As the hours tick away on Mike Wallace's opportunity to sign with another team today, so too does the life of restricted free agency for drafted players in the NFL.

Wallace has until midnight to sign with another team or the Steelers retain exclusive rights to him. That would leave three choices for Wallace and the Steelers: Either he signs his one-year tender for $2,745,000, comes to terms on a multiple-year deal with them, or he sits out.

Either way, Wallace and those like him who were drafted and became restricted free agents after three years in the league are on their way toward extinction, thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players union.

The CBA, hammered out last year, mandates that starting with the draft class of 2011, all players chosen in rounds two through seven must sign four-year contracts; those selected in the first round sign five-year deals -- four years plus a fifth at the team's option.

Restricted free agency will be left only to those rookies who are undrafted. Because the length of their contracts are not mandated by the CBA, rookies can sign with a team for any negotiated number of years. If an undrafted rookie chooses to sign for three years, he will become a restricted free agent when his deal expires.

Two Steelers who were undrafted and became restricted free agents this year were guards Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster.

Wallace and Steelers teammate Keenan Lewis were both drafted in the third round in 2009. Under the rules of the new CBA, the first NFL contract for each would have been four-year deals and they would bypass restricted free agency when those contracts expired and go directly to unrestricted status.

The last draftees who can experience restricted free agency will be those picked in '10 and whose three-year contracts expire after next season.

Perhaps, the loss of restricted free agency is a good thing. Of the 42 restricted free agents this year, none has signed a contract with another team. Those include six Steelers, five of whom have signed one-year tenders.

"It's collusive behavior at its best," said one prominent player agent. "It's just ironic that not one team has even made a bid on anybody. It just dried up on interest in dealing with these kids."

The Steelers most famous loss in restricted free agency was kicker Kris Brown, who signed with the Houston Texans in '02.

Because he was drafted in the seventh round, the Steelers received a seventh-round pick in return. They drafted cornerback LaVar Glover of Cincinnati with that extra '02 pick.

He did not make it, but 30 picks after that, the Steelers used their own seventh-round pick to take defensive end Brett Keisel of Brigham Young. He made it.

The Steelers have signed one restricted free agent, punter Andy Lee, but the San Francisco 49ers matched the deal and kept him.

So, despite all the hand-wringing about whether another team would sign Mike Wallace this year and the fact the Steelers might lose him, restricted free agency has been little more than a cosmetic chip tossed the players' way in the original CBA negotiations 20 years ago.

It is an archaic system that will end for all draft picks.

Fire Arians
04-20-2012, 03:19 AM
nobody's gonna give up a first rounder for him, and we're not going to trade him for any less. he's playing for us in 2012

ANDYMISIU
04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Wallace wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, that's why he listed his dollar figure so high... he wanted to scare teams off. I don't think it's any surprise that Wallace is still a Steeler.

TRH
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Wallace wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, that's why he listed his dollar figure so high... he wanted to scare teams off. I don't think it's any surprise that Wallace is still a Steeler.

you're joking, right?

Kingmagyar
04-20-2012, 09:33 AM

I hear Wallace is telling the team he loves being a Steeler so much and can't even think about being in another uniform that he actually says the tender offer is too high. He wants the vet minimum!

Steelerfreak58
04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Testing the waters...

mesaSteeler
04-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I hear Wallace is telling the team he loves being a Steeler so much and can't even think about being in another uniform that he actually says the tender offer is too high. He wants the vet minimum!

Actually I heard via twitter that Wallace is going play half the year for free for the Steelers because he is so ashamed that his production fell off so badly the second half of last year.

SteelKid212
04-20-2012, 09:51 AM

human nature hu?

you only think, what you WANT to think...

truth is, as any other player out there, when the opportunity is out there to make millions and millions of dollars MORE, theyre sure as hell gonna take it. weather its with one team or another.

wouldnt you?

and dont tell me, "oh my love for the team will make me pass on millions and millions of dollars"

this is a business. and wallace is good. and players that are good want to be paid more than players that are not good. bottom line.

Hawaii 5-0
04-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Less than a day to go, and no RFA offer sheets have been signed

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/130149517_crop_650x4401-e1334945573154.jpg?w=250

Once upon a time, restricted free agents signed offer sheets with new teams. Sometimes, those offer sheets were matched. Sometimes, they weren’t. Either way, it was a key part of the player movement/contract process.

Lately, restricted free agency has dried up. In 2010, when the rules of the uncapped year pushed eligibility for unrestricted free agency from four years to six years of service, only one player (former NFL running back Mike Bell) signed an offer sheet. That led to a collusion claim from the NFLPA.

This year, with 42 restricted free agents and the period for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets expiring at midnight, no offer sheets have been signed.

For players like Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, who reportedly wants huge money, it makes sense to keep the first-round pick that would go to the Steelers as compensation and use it on a rookie who would be paid far less money over the next five years. But for players like Steelers starting left guard/backup center Doug Legursky, who could have been had with no compensation at all, the fact that no one tried to sign him makes no sense.

Unless, of course, teams have agreed among themselves not to try to sign each other’s restricted free agents. Which would be collusion.

After 2013, restricted free agency will become even less relevant (if that’s possible), given that all contract for drafted rookies now are at least four years in duration. Thus, come 2014, only undrafted players or players cut within three years of being drafted and not claimed on waivers will ever be restricted free agents.

Still, with the relationship between the NFL and NFLPA suddenly deteriorating, it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if the union claims that collusion has forced the 42 restricted free agents to play under one-year deals in 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/20/less-than-a-day-to-go-and-no-rfa-offer-sheets-have-been-signed/

Hawaii 5-0
04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Is it midnight tonight he becomes ours, officially? Or it is 11:59pm on the 20th?Or a specific time? Tomorrow?

MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter: Just confirmed through a league source that teams have up until 11:59 p.m. tonight April 20th to offer a restricted free agent, not 4 p.m.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1sbXAVKxf

VaDave
04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Unless it is stupid money, we will match. IMO, Wallace is going nowhere. He has ZERO leverage at this point, but I think he is within his rights to explore his value on the market. So don't hold that against him. Who knows, we may have a deal going during the draft

FrancoLambert
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
If Wallace was what he thinks he is, the offers would have been made already.
He's very, very good but it's obvious by the lack of interest that other teams don't see him as a truly elite WR yet.
If they did, the big money offers and loss of a #1 pick wouldn't be an issue.
He's a fool if he holds out.
The only way he's going to get the money he thinks he deserves is by playing and putting up big time numbers...consistently.

Steelersfan87
04-20-2012, 06:00 PM
A team being unwilling to offer up their first round pick and a massive contract does not at all mean that other teams do not view him as an elite receiver. First of all the majority of "elite" receivers never reach restricted free agency because they tend to be first and second round picks that get 4 and 5 year deals (i.e. Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Robert Meachem, Vincent Jackson). So it's silly to try to draw a conclusion by speculating what might have happened if any of these players were ever in the same situation, because they were not. The only one of these players that was a restricted free agent was Vincent Jackson because his deal happened to end in the uncapped year, during which the restricted free agency rule extended to 6 accrued seasons (the same thing that screwed Willie Colon). He was tendered, and no team signed him. In fact, I don't even know if he was tendered at a first round level (he was a second round pick). Does that mean that teams don't view him as an elite receiver? I have a feeling that Tampa Bay does, at least. Secondly, first round picks are now more valuable than they've ever been due to the new rookie wage scale. Therefore, teams are more reluctant than before to part with them.

As far as his second half production goes, I've already posted about this before. Here are his raw numbers for games 9-16:

Week 9: 4 catches for 68 yards and a touchdown
Week 10: 6 catches for 54 yards, 2 rushes for 31 yards
Bye
Week 12: 2 catches for 17 yards
Week 13: 3 catches for 38 yards, 2 touchdowns
Week 14: 4 catches for 57 yards, 1 rush for 21 yards
Week 15: 5 catches for 66 yards
Week 16: 4 catches for 82 yards
Week 17: 1 catch for 11 yards

Charlie Batch quarterbacked week 16.

Wallace caught 2 passes for 24 yards in the first Cleveland game after Roethlisberger got injured. One was for 2 yards, the other was for 22 yards, about 20 of which was YAC.

Hawaii 5-0
04-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Steelers win $7 million in Wallace gamble

April, 20, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/12601.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false

It's past 4 p.m. on Friday. You know what that means? It means more than the start of happy hour. It's time for the Steelers to breathe a sigh of relief.

No team signed restricted free-agent Mike Wallace by the deadline, according to ESPN's Andrew Brandt. So, Wallace remains with the Steelers this season.

Congratulations, Pittsburgh. The Steelers' front office took a risk by not putting the franchise tag on Wallace and won $7 million with that gamble. If you want to be specific, the Steelers netted $6.8 million by putting a first-round tender on Wallace ($2.7 million) instead of the tag ($9.5 million).

Wallace hasn't reported to offseason workouts because he has yet to sign the tender. He has until June 15 to sign it before the Steelers can get cut the tender to $577,500 -- a loss of $2.1 million. But that's not going to happen. The Steelers aren't going to save any more millions of dollars with Wallace this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/46431/steelers-win-7-million-in-wallace-gamble?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Steel_Bus_24
04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Man I hope they can get a long term deal done an move on so we can start to focus on whooping some ass this year

kan_t
04-21-2012, 12:29 AM
As I said before, the Steelers front office has played it beautifully.

OX1947
04-21-2012, 01:25 AM

As they usually do.

TRH
04-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Yes they have. If Wallace's agent thought that he was going to strong-arm the Steelers into paying a ridiculous stratosphere-like lottery ticket to Wallace, then he was sadly mistaken.

Steel Peon
04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
the Steelers front office has played it beautifully.
They're not fools and know their players well........hooray for us. It must be infuriating for fans of other teams who see their front orifice go the opposite way in situations like this, and mire their teams in bottomless salary cap pits.

mesaSteeler
04-22-2012, 12:30 AM
The Steel Mill

Teams pass on Wallace, but what’s next
April 21st, 2012
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/04/21/teams-pass-on-wallace-but-whats-next/

The deadline for teams signing restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace to an offer sheet passed at 11:59 p.m. Friday night with no takers thus ensuring Wallace will be back for another year, baring an unlikely draft-day trade.

However, Wallace still has a handful of options that he and his agent Bus Cook will explore within the next couple weeks.

Reports surfaced last week that Wallace doesn’t plan to sign the first-round tender the Steelers offered any time soon, and doesn’t plan to attend voluntary offseason workouts that begin May 22.

The Steelers will hold its mandatory minicamp from June 12-14 that Wallace could skip and not incur any fine from the team because he still wouldn’t be under contract with the team if he doesn’t sign the tender.

June 14 will be the last time the team is together until the start of training camp set for the end of July.

Wallace has options, albeit limited, and not many that gives him any leverage, including holding out the entire year or holding out until after Week 10 that would allow him to become an unrestricted free agent next year.

If Wallace would choose to not sign his tender, it would cost him millions this year, thus making that option unlikely.

Wallace can choose not to sign the first-round restricted free agent qualifying tender the Steelers offered him last month that would guarantee him a raise of $2.16 million for the upcoming season.

However, if Wallace doesn’t sign his $2.742 million tender by June 15, under CBA guidelines, the Steelers could reduce their offer drastically to 110 percent of his $580,000 salary last year.

In order to do that, the Steelers must tender Wallace a one-year contract of at least $638,000 by June 1.

Wallace could accept the reduced tender, hold out until after the Nov. 12 game against Kansas City and become an unrestricted free agent after the season (Vincent Jackson did that two years ago).

If Wallace decides to hold out the entire year, he would lose an accrued season and still be a restricted free agent again next year.

The Steelers can still negotiate a long-term deal with Wallace up until their self-imposed deadline of the start of the season, but with Wallace reportedly wanting Larry Fitzgerald money ($16 million a year), it is growing more likely that Wallace will play out the final year of his rookie deal and test free agency next spring.

The Steelers could franchise tag Wallace next year, but with that number pushing well past the $10 million mark, that too is unlikely.

Wallace, 25, has started 34 of his 48 career games. He had back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and 24 touchdowns in three years. His 18.7 yards per reception ranks first among active receivers and is in the top 25 all-time.

The Steelers re-signed veteran Jerricho Cotchery last week to go along with two third-year receivers in Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders – both of whom will be restricted free agents next year.

Atlanta Dan
04-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Here is the latest press release from Wallace's agent Bus Cook that Adam Schefter is passing along through ESPN.com

Mike Wallace mulls holdout

Wallace told some within the Steelers organization that he does not plan to sign his first-round tender "until he has to," according to a source. This means that Wallace could wind up holding out for some or all of training camp...

Wallace has until June 15 to sign it before the Steelers can cut the tender to $577,500 -- a loss of $2.1 million.

Unless I am misreading the calendar training camp does not start before June 15 - Wallace's agent already has been outplayed by Colbert on this - assuming the $2.7 million tender will not be cut if Wallace does not sign it by June 15 and does not show up in camp until early August might not be a wise move by Wallace and his agent

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7842244/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-prepared-sit-offseason-drills-start-training-camp

TRH
04-22-2012, 04:32 PM
the smartest thing Wallace could do is SIGN....make the 2.7 million....then play as hard as he can this year, be a total team guy, up his game, study both film and the playbook 110%, and really go out there and EARN that big payday.
He does that and then the other teams will come callin' next year with checkbooks in hand. In my mind, he's just not quite there to upper-elite status yet. I don't seem what "holding out" accomplishes and if anything, it could diminish his value in the long-term. Absolutely he needs to do the above.

Twentyvalve
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Man, just show up and contribute. It is not like he has anything else to do. I understand there is million dollars ***potentially*** at stake, but common' Mike. The team wants to sign you, they are in a tight financial spot, and obviously you are asking way more than the Steelers, or any other team, is willing to pay.

Showing up and working hard is what it is about. Not wanting someone to pay you on "potential." This is getting silly. If I were a football player, and I was on a team, and they had practice, I would show.

This is ridiculous. What does he want them to do, trade Ben to afford him? My God. I could go on. At first I understood his perspective, but nobody made an offer he was willing to accept. Is that the Steelers' fault? No. That is his fault.

If he wants more money on his next full contract he needs to show up in June. Play hard. Catch 20 touchdown passes, win an MVP, break a few records, make a few hi-lite reels. Then ditch the Steelers and ask for tens of millions.

At this point, I don't care where he goes. At the same time, I wish him well. He is just trying to find his way and earn a living. I am convinced the Steelers will just do as well or as bad without him.

TRH
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Man, just show up and contribute. It is not like he has anything else to do. I understand there is million dollars ***potentially*** at stake, but common' Mike. The team wants to sign you, they are in a tight financial spot, and obviously you are asking way more than the Steelers, or any other team, is willing to pay.

Showing up and working hard is what it is about. Not wanting someone to pay you on "potential." This is getting silly. If I were a football player, and I was on a team, and they had practice, I would show.

This is ridiculous. What does he want them to do, trade Ben to afford him? My God. I could go on. At first I understood his perspective, but nobody made an offer he was willing to accept. Is that the Steelers' fault? No. That is his fault.

If he wants more money on his next full contract he needs to show up in June. Play hard. Catch 20 touchdown passes, win an MVP, break a few records, make a few hi-lite reels. Then ditch the Steelers and ask for tens of millions.

At this point, I don't care where he goes. At the same time, I wish him well. He is just trying to find his way and earn a living. I am convinced the Steelers will just do as well or as bad without him.

unfortunately, most of what you said here is duplicated by other players across the NFL and their agents time and time again and its not likely to stop.
Usually smart teams like the Patriots and Steelers play the game smartly and spend wisely. UN-fortunately, stupid moronic teams like the Lions, Bills, Eagles, Cowboys and some others spend wildly and foolishly trying to "buy" the championship....which is almost always a big FAIL....this isn't baseball.

If it wasnt' for the sake of giving up a 1st round pick, one of the "foolish" teams might have signed him. We'll have him one more year......then next year he'll be gone. Antonio Brown really shows that he wants to remain in Pittsburgh and remain a Steeler and that might be having an impact on the front office as well as his contract comes up next year and its going to be a BIG one. Can't have them both.

Steelersfan87
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
His best interest right now is to hold out until June 14th. If he signs his tender right now, it's far less likely that he'll work out a long term deal this year. Therefore, I do not begrudge Wallace for making this move, especially considering a long term deal is also in the team's best interest.

zcoop
04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
His best interest right now is to hold out until June 14th. If he signs his tender right now, it's far less likely that he'll work out a long term deal this year. Therefore, I do not begrudge Wallace for making this move, especially considering a long term deal is also in the team's best interest.

Agreed, he has to play his card as well. It will be Brown's turn next year.

Hawaii 5-0
04-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Report: Mike Wallace says he won’t sign “until he has to”

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2012

With the period for restricted free agency movement concluded, and with no restricted free agents signing offer sheets with new teams, those who have yet to sign tender offers from their current teams must decide when and if to do so.

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, the highest-profile restricted free agent without a contract, reportedly doesn’t plan to do so any time soon.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Wallace has told some within the organization that he doesn’t plan to accept the one-year, $2.7 million tender offer “until he has to.”

The question becomes when does he have to?

As Schefter points out, the CBA allows the Steelers on June 15 to withdraw the tender and replace it with an offer equal to 110 percent of his 2011 base salary, which for Wallace would equate to $577,000.

Still, he could hold out even longer, skipping training camp and the preseason and up to 10 weeks of the regular season. At that point, he could sign the tender, receive the prorated base salary under the $577,000 tender (i.e., $237,000), and then become an unrestricted free agent (subject to the franchise or transition tag) in 2013.

Wallace ultimately must ask himself if it’s worth giving up more than 90 percent of the current tender in order to exert maximum leverage toward a long-term deal now — and to expose himself to minimal injury risk before putting himself in position to achieve a major payday. The manner in which he balances these competing considerations will directly influence his assessment of the day on the calendar that equates to “until he has to.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/report-mike-wallace-says-he-wont-sign-until-he-has-to/

TRH
04-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Report: Mike Wallace says he won’t sign “until he has to”

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2012

With the period for restricted free agency movement concluded, and with no restricted free agents signing offer sheets with new teams, those who have yet to sign tender offers from their current teams must decide when and if to do so.

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, the highest-profile restricted free agent without a contract, reportedly doesn’t plan to do so any time soon.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Wallace has told some within the organization that he doesn’t plan to accept the one-year, $2.7 million tender offer “until he has to.”

The question becomes when does he have to?

As Schefter points out, the CBA allows the Steelers on June 15 to withdraw the tender and replace it with an offer equal to 110 percent of his 2011 base salary, which for Wallace would equate to $577,000.

Still, he could hold out even longer, skipping training camp and the preseason and up to 10 weeks of the regular season. At that point, he could sign the tender, receive the prorated base salary under the $577,000 tender (i.e., $237,000), and then become an unrestricted free agent (subject to the franchise or transition tag) in 2013.

Wallace ultimately must ask himself if it’s worth giving up more than 90 percent of the current tender in order to exert maximum leverage toward a long-term deal now — and to expose himself to minimal injury risk before putting himself in position to achieve a major payday. The manner in which he balances these competing considerations will directly influence his assessment of the day on the calendar that equates to “until he has to.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/report-mike-wallace-says-he-wont-sign-until-he-has-to/

i can't see going the "play as little as possible for minimal injury risk" card. Wallace hasn't reached that ultra-elite status yet. He needs to put in at least another QUALITY year of play. This could potentially implode on him.
I think he'll sign the offer on the last day and play the year out and sign w/someone else next year.

At some point, one has to ask....do we want Wallace or Brown long-term. We can't sign both of them. Period. Brown has another quality year this year and his price will go through the freakin' roof.

Black N' Yellow
04-22-2012, 09:24 PM
Just throwing this out there. He's only 300 yards behind Jerry Rice at this point if I looked correctly. He deserves the payday, we just can't give it to him now. A few years ago or a few years from now? Probably, but we have no room and we don't want to sign ourselves in a corner which really sucks.

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Does Mike Wallace Really Think He Can Win a Staring Contest Against the Pittsburgh Steelers?

by Anthony Defeo on Apr 20, 2012

Last week, it was reported that Mike Wallace, a restricted free agent, had decided that he wasn't going to sign the Steelers $2.7 million one year tender. This indicated that Wallace's intention was to draw a line in the sand and enter into a battle of wills with the Pittsburgh Steelers. You knew that already, of course. Neal Coolong summarized that quite succinctly last week when the news first broke.

That's old news.

What's even older news is that it's almost impossible to win a staring contest with the Pittsburgh Steelers. If Wallace doesn't know this, his agent should, and they should probably try to come up with a better plan if they're going to get what they want.

More highly decorated Steelers than Mike Wallace have tried this tactic in the past, and they have failed.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have one of the most disciplined approaches to running a business in all of professional sports. If they establish a way of doing things, a policy, they very rarely go off course.

For example, the Steeler hardly ever make big splashes in free agency. This often frustrates fans who want them to go hard after the top names each and every offseason. But the Steelers would rather build through the draft, develop their own stars, and sign them to huge deals when the time is right. The team just ignores the protests from the outside, continues to do their thing every year, and it has worked to the tune of being the most successful franchise in the NFL over the past 40 seasons.

The Steelers have also set a precedent of not re-negotiating contracts during the regular season.

In 1988, Pro Bowl linebacker Mike Merriweather held out the entire season despite still being under contract. The Steelers never gave in to this negotiation tactic, and they simply traded him away for a first round pick in 1989.

Want a more recent example? In 2005, Hines Ward, one of the greatest Steelers of all-time, held out the first couple of weeks of training camp because he wanted a new deal even though he still had another year remaining on his then current contract.

Did Hines think it was going to work? I don't know. But it wasn't long before then coach Bill Cowher persuaded Ward to come to camp, and it wasn't long before the team took care of him with a new contract. Yes, Ward eventually got his deal, but that's because he came to his senses and, unlike Merriweather, decided to negotiate in good faith. Had Ward continued to hold out, he probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

That's two examples nearly two-decades apart of how the Steelers handle strong-arm negotiation tactics. They simply don't back down.

Wallace should take notes.

There has been speculation floating around over the past few weeks that Wallace wants Larry Fitzgerald money. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that he's not going to get that kind of money from the Steelers, not with their salary cap situation being what it is. The team had to cut ties with a few veterans and ask a few others to re-structure their contracts just so they could barely get under the cap.

Very few restricted free agents sign offer sheets, but Wallace is an attractive enough receiver--the best deep threat in the game-- that you would think someone would have taken at least a slight interest in him and tried to sign him to an offer sheet. The fact that Wallace has had very little interest from other teams at this late point is a pretty fair indication that maybe he is over-valuing his worth just a little bit.

I don't think Wallace has much leverage at this point. His only real recourse is to sign the tender sheet and play out his last year with the Steelers and see what happens.

Do I think Wallace is worth Fitzgerald money? Personally, no, not yet. But that's just my opinion, and things would change pretty fast if Wallace goes out and sets the league on fire this season.

If he establishes himself to be the equal to Fitzgerald and receivers like him, Wallace will have the leverage as he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2013..

And, who knows? The Steelers might actually be willing to find a way to give him a fair market deal.

As I said, the Steelers may hold their ground when re-negotiating, but they do want to keep their own stars whenever they can.

As a restricted free agent, Mike Wallace is under no obligation to sign anything or do anything. But he owes it to himself to at least sign the tender sheet if he and the Steelers can't come to an agreement before training camp.

If he wants his big contract, he has a 16-week job interview coming up to show the Steelers and the rest of the NFL what he's truly worth.

That's his best option. Hopefully, he'll come around, because the Steelers aren't going to change their approach to business.

They always win their staring contests.

My guess is that Mike Wallace will be the one who blinks first.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/4/20/2962399/does-mike-wallace-really-think-he-can-win-a-staring-contest-against

ricardisimo
04-23-2012, 12:46 AM
I just hope he's working out on his own in the meantime. How many times has the holdout gotten injured in the first week because of a lack of conditioning? :doh:

Steelersfan87
04-23-2012, 01:13 AM
At some point, one has to ask....do we want Wallace or Brown long-term. We can't sign both of them. Period.

This is a false dichotomy. It's by no means impossible to retain both, though the most likely scenario involves Brown being willing to play under a RFA tender next year. Of course, that also assumes that he continues to play as well as he did the second half of last season.

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Mike Wallace Not Signing Offer Sheet Will Lighten His Pockets, and Slow Down the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Offense

by Clyde A. Speller

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has waited up to this point in the offseason to get word on a long-term contract from the Steelers, or a trade offer from another team, and neither one has come to surface.

According to Adam Schefter of www.espn.com, the Pro Bowl receiver said that he wouldn’t sign the first-round tender worth $2.7 million “until he has to.” This gives the indication that Wallace is willing to sit out of organized team activities and training camp this summer.

The three-year veteran has until June 15th to sign the offer sheet. If Wallace decides not to do so, then the Steelers have the right to cut the tender to $577,500, which would be a $2.1 million dollar cut for Wallace. Pittsburgh could definitely use that money with their tight budget for this coming 2012 NFL season.

In all honesty, I do feel that Wallace deserves a nice-sized contact due to what he has done on the field for the past three years. However, given the fact that he is just really a deep threat and not a proven all-around receiver, he should take all that he can right now and shoot for the big contract next year.

As mentioned earlier, the Steelers are short on money this year, and they still need cap room to sign the draft picks from the 2012 NFL Draft. Therefore, the likelihood of Wallace receiving a multiyear deal right now seems slim-to-none.

In addition, missing OTAs and training camp would only hinder an offense that is already under construction. Wallace’s absence would keep him and Ben Roethlisberger from getting in sync with a new offense and a new offensive coordinator in Todd Haley. More importantly, Wallace needs to be at as many practices as possible because Pittsburgh’s offense will be highly dependent on their passing game, due to the uncertainty of when the team’s leading rusher, Rashard Mendenhall, will return to the lineup.

Let’s hope for the sake of the Steelers and all of Steeler Nation that Wallace puts his ego aside and sign the first-round tender ASAP.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/mike_wallace_not_signing_offer_sheet_will_lighten_ his_pockets_and_slow_down_the_pittsburgh_steelers_ offense/10619083

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2012, 07:17 AM
He hasn't made that much money to hold out to long. Especially if the RFA tag gets reduced after the signing period to report.
There is no doubt he deserves more money. BUT he and his agent choose to go the route of testing the market. Now you can look at it a couple way, but the market said, your price is to rich, sorry Mikey. Perhaps if the supply wasn't to plentiful this year he would've received an offer, but that wasn't the case.

TRH
04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
This is a false dichotomy. It's by no means impossible to retain both, though the most likely scenario involves Brown being willing to play under a RFA tender next year. Of course, that also assumes that he continues to play as well as he did the second half of last season.

Actually its not. If the slight, if not remote, possibility brings Wallace a long-term contract here, then, yes, we could RFA Brown next year, but that would last one year and thats even if that would happen at all in the first place.
But no way in the world we sign them both to long-term deals here, that just isn't going to happen...if you think otherwise, you'd be living in fantasy land.

I'm not jumping on that "get rid of Wallace, keep Brown" bandwagon or anything, but the chances of Brown being a "bust" this year is slim to none and he'll be a big, if not huge, money guy too when it comes time. We're not going to spend ALL the money on two WR's.

Steelersfan87
04-23-2012, 08:23 AM
With the salary cap rising by 2014 and players like Hampton and Harrison being gone, they will have more money to spend. Don't be so cocksure about what might happen 2 years from now.

pittcurtain7
04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Where do you guys think Wallace is going to go? I looked all over the net and found this one thing that lists four possible places: http://nachmanyfootball.com/2012/04/23/mike-wallace-naming-possible-destinations-for-the-pittsburgh-steeler-wideout/

Hopefully he just stays...would be pretty bad if we lose him, too.

skinart82
04-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Nobody offered him a deal, so he's staying a Steeler at least for this year.

kan_t
04-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Think out of the box. The best deal for both sides may be a deal like the Packers Finley one. The Steelers get Wallace for two years with a salary at below FA market rate while Wallace can still hit the FA market at a young age. At the same time the deal won't kill Steelers future cap flexibility and give them a better two-year window of winning.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Kan, thats not happening.

Wallace will either sign long term, or accept what he has here for 1 year. Steelers than have the right to franchise him next year as well and do so for each of the next 2 years.

As I stated before, RFA and 2 tags is about 23-25million over 3 years.

They should break the barrior and sign Brown today long term, than work Wallace after the fact.

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Steelers 'not worried' about Mike Wallace reports

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
Published: April 23, 2012

Mike Wallace might not be happy about his current contract situation, but there's not much he can do about it. And the Pittsburgh Steelers know it.

"We're not worried about the reports," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Monday at a pre-draft news conference. "He's still here. We will deal with it day to day."

There is no reason for the Steelers to be worried. They say Wallace's situation won't affect their draft plans. ESPN reported the wide receiver won't attend voluntary work anytime soon, choosing to wait before signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent.

In theory, Wallace is waiting to see if any team will try to trade for him on draft day. We find that extremely unlikely. Eventually, Wallace will have to show up.

"We felt all along the decision would be ours," Colbert said about Wallace's lack of movement on the restricted market. "We want Mike to be here for the long haul. He knows that."

Unless Wallace lowers his contract demands, he might stay on a one-year contract. That arrangement could last two seasons with the franchise tag looming.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82886361/article/steelers-not-worried-about-mike-wallace-reports-?module=HP11_headline_stack

zcoop
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Nobody offered him a deal, so he's staying a Steeler at least for this year.

Exactly, I don't know why some folks are reading things that are not in the article. The article stated that he said he would not sign until he has to on June 14th. That is the day before his salary could be lowered. He will show up when he has to, that's business.

Steel Peon
04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Antonio Brown really shows that he wants to remain in Pittsburgh and remain a Steeler and that might be having an impact on the front office as well as his contract comes up next year and its going to be a BIG one. Can't have them both.
I too would've agreed with this statement back in '04-'05 when Plaxico was coming due for a big contract, with the knowledge that Hines was coming due the following season, and thought we could only hope to retain one of them if we wanted to keep our defense heavily bolstered. I discussed this on multiple occasions, and broke it down for my fellow Steeler fans that Hines was the logical choice to keep, with his better hands and superior Steeler football attitude. Apparently, the powers that be agreed with me as well when Plax walked, and the rest is history.

And so, here we are again 8 years later in an eerily parallel situation, EXCEPT that the NFL has changed quite a bit since then, and now there's more logic for increased emphasis on offense than in yesteryears. As I've said before, I'm not saying we should flip the script, and spend a greater percentage of our cap money on offense, but perhaps crank the dial a bit more in that direction. Should the Steelers front office agree with me (which they always do :thumbsup::grin::fingers:), then you'll see one more large contract being signed on offense than usual, and one less on defense.

Mike Wallace may very well end up being the crux a fundamental shift by the Steelers, and I really hope that happens. But, I'll tell you one thing about him right now............I would never sign him to a Fitzgerald sized contract, and I'll be highly annoyed if they do.

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Tomlin unconcerned with Wallace contract situation

April 23, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin said he is not bothered about reports about whether wide receiver Mike Wallace will play for the Steelers this season.

And general manager Kevin Colbert said the Steelers' goal remains the same: To sign their Pro Bowl receiver to a contract that will keep him with the team for a long time.

Wallace did not receive any offers from other NFL teams before last Friday night -- the deadline for restricted free agents to sign with another team. But he has also not signed the $2.7 million offer he was tendered as a restricted free agent by the Steelers -- and there have been various reports that he might not do so.

"We're not worried about reports," Tomlin said today during a pre-draft news conference on the South Side. "There were reports he was going somewhere every day in restricted free agency and he's still here. So we'll deal with it day to day."

"Our goal with Mike has always been and always will be to sign him to a long-term contract," Colbert said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/tomlin-unconcerned-with-wallace-contract-situation-632755/

OX1947
04-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I too would've agreed with this statement back in '04-'05 when Plaxico was coming due for a big contract, with the knowledge that Hines was coming due the following season, and thought we could only hope to retain one of them if we wanted to keep our defense heavily bolstered. I discussed this on multiple occasions, and broke it down for my fellow Steeler fans that Hines was the logical choice to keep, with his better hands and superior Steeler football attitude. Apparently, the powers that be agreed with me as well when Plax walked, and the rest is history.

And so, here we are again 8 years later in an eerily parallel situation, EXCEPT that the NFL has changed quite a bit since then, and now there's more logic for increased emphasis on offense than in yesteryears. As I've said before, I'm not saying we should flip the script, and spend a greater percentage of our cap money on offense, but perhaps crank the dial a bit more in that direction. Should the Steelers front office agree with me (which they always do :thumbsup::grin::fingers:), then you'll see one more large contract being signed on offense than usual, and one less on defense.

Mike Wallace may very well end up being the crux a fundamental shift by the Steelers, and I really hope that happens. But, I'll tell you one thing about him right now............I would never sign him to a Fitzgerald sized contract, and I'll be highly annoyed if they do.

No receiver not named Randy Moss in his prime or Jerry Rice is worth 10 million a year.

Hawaii 5-0
04-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Will unhappy Wallace leave Steelers in '13?

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com
April 22, 2012

It's clear that restricted free agent Mike Wallace is not happy with the Pittsburgh Steelers right now. He is prepared to sit out offseason drills and at least the start of training camp, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Does this hurt the Steelers' chances of keeping him long term? Not at all. Players get upset about their contract status all the time and skip workouts on a regular basis to show their dissatisfaction with their current situation.

Just remember the recent predicament with guard Logan Mankins, who was unhappy and wanted out of New England because he didn't want to play as a restricted free agent. How did that get resolved? Mankins signed a six-year contract last summer that included a $20 million signing bonus.

It was a similar ugly standoff last year between the Tennessee Titans and running back Chris Johnson. In the end, the sides were shaking hands on four-year, $53.5 million contract extension that included $30 million guaranteed.

Wallace wants a long-term deal instead of a $2.7 million first-round tender. He has outplayed his contract, and the Steelers have repeatedly said they want to sign him to a multiyear deal. This problem probably won't get resolved this year, but Wallace would only be hurting himself by dragging this out beyond June 15 (when the Steelers can cut the tender to $577,500 if he doesn't sign).

The Steelers don't a have long history of re-signing their wide receivers in free agency -- only Hines Ward has been retained -- but there's also no reason to doubt the team's desire to keep him. Pittsburgh has rewarded Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons with extensions.

Plus, Wallace is a key part of the Steelers' deep passing game. His receiving yards (3,206) and touchdowns (24) both rank as the second most by an NFL receiver in his first three seasons. And, even when Wallace isn't catching the ball, the threat of him running deep opens up the underneath for wide receiver Antonio Brown and tight end Heath Miller.

So, Wallace is ticked off by his contract status, and the Steelers aren't going to like him missing workouts in a year with a new offensive coordinator. But NFL history shows that a multiyear contract can turn a temporarily bad situation into a happy long-term one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/46456/will-unhappy-wallace-leave-steelers-in-13

TRH
04-24-2012, 06:19 PM
just on a general side note (i'm really getting sick of talking about Wallace specifically), it really kills me how all these players are so "unhappy" as its stated .....making more than 50X and much more what regular civilians make.
I know this has been covered dozens of times but every time i read these things, i continually just read in disbelief. My point is don't say you're unhappy or feel unappreciated (ahh.....POOR baby...)....just stand up like a man and say "i'm not happy with my contract....i want more".
If so "unhappy", these guys are free to try and enter the job interview market to try and land a business job with their degree and make 80K a year, work 60 hours a week, all year. Nobody's stopping you. If so "unhappy"......go do that instead.

pancake
04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I think we have Wallace for the next two years at least...

Hawaii 5-0
04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I think we have Wallace for the next two years at least...

Wallace will be an UFA next year unless we decide to use the franchise tag on him.

steelbelieve
04-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Mike Wallace for............

any thoughts/opinions?

BTW, the best available for day 2. Enjoy.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Results/Best-Day-2.php

TRH
04-27-2012, 08:57 AM
my 1st thought was that the Rams could call. They totally whiffed their 1st round pick. They desperately...desperately...need big time offense playmakers, WR in particular, and they traded down and then got a defensive lineman. Huh? What?
Doubt they will, but they appear to be the biggest loser of the night, which was dumbfounding, as they began the process will almost all the leverage. Wallace's final cost, though, will likely prove to be too much and nothing will happen here.

Kingmagyar
04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
A contract would have to be worked out with Wallace fast, like all through last night which probably didn't happen, and with still a lot of WRs on the board and the Rams picking so high they can save millions and very possibly get a better overall WR then Wallace simply by making the pick. Jeff Fisher is also not a rash man. Al Davis R.I.P. (rest in pieces) would have traded his entire draft for Wallace.

PhantomJB93
04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Wallace for two of the Rams second round picks (they have 3 in the first 13 picks today)? I might actually pull the trigger on that. Could feasibly trade Wallace for Cordy Glenn and Mychal Kendricks and still select Alameda Ta'amu or Josh Chapman with our actual second round pick. Or even another receiver to replace Wallace. And the Rams would STILL have another early second round pick. That would be a win for both teams.

TRH
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Wallace for two of the Rams second round picks (they have 3 in the first 13 picks today)? I might actually pull the trigger on that. Could feasibly trade Wallace for Cordy Glenn and Mychal Kendricks and still select Alameda Ta'amu or Josh Chapman with our actual second round pick. Or even another receiver to replace Wallace. And the Rams would STILL have another early second round pick. That would be a win for both teams.

yeah, thats a nice thought, but its Wallace demands for a big (bigger than he deserves at this point..) huge multi-gazillion dollar contract thats scaring anyone away from doing this. No one is going to give up that much for what could turn out to be a "one year thing"

kan_t
04-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Keep him. Teams are not going to offer the Steelers much. He will be even more dangerous now that the Steelers have an improved running game.

mdimart28
04-27-2012, 11:54 AM
St Louis has the 1, 7, and 13th picks in the second round, so lets trade for them!
Trade:
Mike Wallace
Our 2nd, 4th, 6th and two 7th's for their picks

We could Then use those Picks to get:
OL: either Glenn, Martin or Adams to shore up the OL
DT: Either Ta'amu or Reyes
WR: Either Hill or Randle to replace wallace.

This would also leave us with a 3rd and a 5th to be used on CB and RB
Two 7th rounders to be used on a FB and Kicker

So what do you guys think?
:applaudit:

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 12:07 PM
im thinking thats too complex and the rams like where they are at, confident that they will find their own "mike wallace" in this years draft.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Thankfully he wasnt consulted during the first draft day

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
i'd trade wallace for their 3 picks but not wallace with any of our own picks. whatchu talkin bout willis

Dalarin
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Not a deal I would offer. Besides the comp picks can't be traded

defence
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
i'd trade wallace for their 3 picks but not wallace with any of our own picks. whatchu talkin bout willis

You can always dream:thumbsup:

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
You can always dream:thumbsup:

hey if the pats can get other teams to make stupid trades in their favor why can't we :thumbsup:

defence
04-27-2012, 12:34 PM
hey if the pats can get other teams to make stupid trades in their favor why can't we :thumbsup:

Hey: i hope we can do it. I have faith in the fo. I just hope if they can get something for him in the second round and know they don't have a realistic shot at resigning him; then make a deal. Question. What are teams willing to give up for him?? I might be wrong; but i have a hunch the steelers are being thrown 3rd round offers for him. I'd keep him for that!!

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 12:36 PM
ya no doubt, i'm just joking around really haha. i want to keep wallace for sure and hope a long term deal can be made. but hell, i'd trade him for the 3 2nd rounders that the rams have in a heartbeat, if they're stupid enough to make that trade :)

defence
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
ya no doubt, i'm just joking around really haha. i want to keep wallace for sure and hope a long term deal can be made. but hell, i'd trade him for the 3 2nd rounders that the rams have in a heartbeat, if they're stupid enough to make that trade :)

To tell you the truth. I'd do it for one of there 2nd rounders and shore up that offensive line with Glen and boy are we set there for a long time. Speed wr's come a dime a dozen and i really believe the steelers don't have the money to keep both brown and wallace.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Would we have the cap space to sign two or three 2nd round picks?

Cpitt78
04-27-2012, 01:04 PM
And pick up Stephen Hill and add another offensive lineman or defensive lineman. If they would be willing to give us 2 second rounders I'd make this trade. Thoughts?

I'd also like another corner but Jenkins is too risky.

C

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 01:05 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xpadHP2LoUA/S24wVInaCCI/AAAAAAAAAq0/Qq2pMnWqOCM/S1600-R/original.jpg

Cpitt78
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Worth noting that Bleacher Report is talking about a similar scenario however I think their execution has us giving up too much.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1163041-pittsburgh-steelers-perfect-trade-scenario-for-day-2-of-the-nfl-draft

Bayz101
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Merged a couple threads. A lot of people suddenly had this idea :chuckle:

tanda10506
04-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Why would you trade Wallace, a WR who is already really good in the NFL and is Ben's number 1 target, for 2 or 3 picks on guys who may or may not even pan out, let alone contribute what Wallace does. Trading good players, especially a big play guy like Wallace, for players that might be good just doesn't sound like a good idea.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Why would you trade Wallace, a WR who is already really good in the NFL and is Ben's number 1 target, for 2 or 3 picks on guys who may or may not even pan out, let alone contribute what Wallace does. Trading good players, especially a big play guy like Wallace, for players that might be good just doesn't sound like a good idea.

I mean he has like 24 touchdowns in his 3 years of playing, and now everybody hates him cause he wants some cash I mean people should do what Mikes has done and you would Want some big cash to.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I mean he has like 24 touchdowns in his 3 years of playing, and now everybody hates him cause he wants some cash I mean people should do what Mikes has done and you would Want some big cash to.
i don't think anyone hates him, they've just accepted the reality that most likely this will be his last year as a steeler. and if they do sign him , it's going to be at the expence of other players such as brown.

mdimart28
04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I like wallace quite a bit, but I don't think we will be able to pay him what he wants and I think we should see if we could get something back for him. I think a larger receiver could also help us as well. You always gamble when it comes to trading, but that is the way of life in the NFL. I also think the Rams feel a little burned that they did not get their receiver in the first round and might be willing to deal for a proven guy. I also think that if we add another guy, we could really still have a great receiving core on our team with Sanders, Brown, Cotchery, +Hill or Randle from the draft.
We also have Heath and Saunders at TE

STEELAMANIA
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Wallace isnt going anywhere.

Hawaii 5-0
05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Steelers Likely Won’t Reduce Tender Offer To Mike Wallace On June 15th

Monday, May 7th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The first rookie camp for the Pittsburgh Steelers is now in the books and next up is the first team OTA session that is scheduled to get rolling on May 22nd. That next session is when the rookies and veterans will all hit the field together in Pittsburgh.

One player that is surely not to be present two weeks from tomorrow is restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has still yet to sign his first round one-year tender offer of $2.742 million that was issued to him before the free agency period began. The Steelers also have their first official mini-camp on the books for June 12-14 and it would be surprising if the Steelers 2009 third round draft pick is present for that as well.

The day after the June mini-camp session wraps up is the day that the Steelers are allowed to reduce their tender to Wallace by 110 percent of last year's salary and still retain his rights. Although they have the right to do just that, it doesn't mean that they will and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette told 93.7 The Fan on Monday that he doubts the Steelers will indeed take that course of action. Instead they will do nothing speculates Bouchette.

Playing hardball with Wallace could end up just making it tougher to get a long-term deal done down the road and by leaving the tender of Wallace alone, the Steelers will be making a good faith gesture to Wallace and his agent Bus Cook. While it would be nice to have Wallace around for the OTA and mini-camp sessions while new offensive coordinator Todd Haley puts in his new offense, it will not be the end of the world if Wallace is not present. As long as he is in training camp on time or shortly after it begins, Wallace will have plenty of time to learn the Rosetta Stone playbook, which it is jokingly referred to by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers will not cave to the high contract demands that are evidently being made right now by Wallace, but they will not punish him for standing his ground either by reducing his tender. General Manager Kevin Colbert has made it known all offseason that getting Wallace signed to a long-term deal is a priority, but you know that they have a contract value in mind that they will not budge far from. It is just how they do business.

While Wallace and his agent could decide to play hardball throughout training camp and into the start of the regular season, it will not do them any good. The longer Wallace holds out once training camp begins, the more he will be vilified by the black and gold fan base and the media. The Steelers have a long history of not negotiating with players who are unhappy with their contracts until they report to camp and this is when I now expect Wallace to show. He might be a week late, but he will show and that is when the two sides can get busy again talking numbers. Until then you can expect an upcoming summer of OTA and mini-camps without Wallace.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/2012_steelers_53_man_roster_prediction/10736465

Hawaii 5-0
05-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers WR Mike Wallaces deserves Larry Fitzgerald money

David Barbour - NY Sports Examiner
May 25, 2012

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/large_lightbox/hash/65/fe/1337961723_wallace1.jpg

Every year in the NFL there are a plethora of players who are unhappy with their contract situations. The unhappy players universally think that the NFL team currently employing them is not paying them a salary commensurate with their true value. Not every player who makes such a claim is correct, but when it comes to Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, he is absolutely correct.

Right now, the Pittsburgh Steelers have offered Mike Wallace, currently a restricted free agent, a one-year tender offer that is reportedly worth $2.74 million. Wallace has yet to sign his one-year nor should he. For a player of Wallace's ability, a contract offer like that is insulting and reeks of the Pittsburgh Steelers exploiting the level of production he provides.

As to what Wallace would prefer to be paid, reports have come out that he would like to receive a contract at least equal to the one Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald possesses. Last year, Fitzgerald signed an eight-year, $120 million contract. If the reports are providing an accurate picture of the contract Wallace feels he has earned, then they are exactly right.

Wallace does deserve a handsome payday like the one Fitzgerald received because he has the potential to be a more valuable wide receiver over his career than Fitzgerald. I am basing this claim on how the two wide receivers stacked up in their first three NFL seasons.

Using NFL.com's and Pro-Football Reference.com's pass target and play-by-play data, I removed both wide receivers' statistics from their quarterbacks' in order to gauge just how valuable they were to their respective teams' passing attacks.

In three seasons in the NFL, after Wallace's statistics were removed from his quarterbacks' statistics, his quarterbacks became 1.6 percent better in completion percentage (from 63.3 percent to 64.3 percent), 7.4 percent worse in yards per pass attempt (from 8.1 to 7.5), 7.7 percent worse in adjusted yards per pass attempt (from 7.8 to 7.2), 7.1 percent worse in yards per completion (from 12.8 to 11.7), 17.8 worse in touchdown percentage (from 4.5 percent to 3.7 percent), and 11.5 percent worse in interception percentage (from 2.6 percent to 2.3 percent).

Compare that to what Fitzgerald did in the first three years of his career, which took place from 2004-06. When his statistics were removed from his quarterbacks' statistics over that time frame, his quarterbacks underwent an .8 percent increase in completion percentage (from 60.3 percent to 60.8 percent), a 4.3 percent decrease in yards per pass attempt (from 6.9 to 6.6), a 3.3 percent decrease in adjusted yards per pass attempt (from 6.1 to 5.9), a 6.1 percent decrease in yards per completion (from 11.5 to 10.8), a 33.3 percent decrease in touchdown percentage (from 3.0 percent to 2.0 percent), and a 21.9 percent decrease in interception percentage (from 3.2 percent to 2.5 percent).

In the most important statistical categories, yards per pass attempt, adjusted yards per pass attempt, and yards per completion, Wallace is the receiver who provided the most value in his first three seasons.

It is worth nothing that Fitzgerald went on to have great success in his following seasons, but despite that fact, it would make more sense to give Wallace his monster contract now when he is entering his age-26 season; Fitzgerald was entering his age-28 season at the time he signed his contract, of which about $50 million was guaranteed.

Based on the fact Wallace is younger than Fitzgerald at the time Fitzgerald signed his latest contract and also demonstrated he had more potential going forward to due to a more impressive first three seasons in the NFL, he certainly deserves to be paid as well as Fitzgerald is.

If the Steelers continue to withhold that level of money from Wallace, it is only because they want to pay him below market value while receiving elite wide receiver production. There is no other reason to deny Wallace the new contract he has requested.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-mike-wallaces-deserves-larry-fitzgerald-money

Steel Peon
05-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Last time I checked, neither of these 2 guys have won a Lombardi.

OX1947
05-27-2012, 01:45 AM
Fitz doesnt deserve fitz money. Receivers are a dime a dozen. You only overpay for QBs, LT and elite pass rushers.

TRH
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Fitz doesnt deserve fitz money. Receivers are a dime a dozen. You only overpay for QBs, LT and elite pass rushers.

exactly correct. A good example of a foolish team giving all the money to one guy while most of the rest of the team wallows in mediocrity.

Hawaii 5-0
05-27-2012, 01:46 PM

I agree, but I might add a shutdown CB like Revis to that list.

Hawaii 5-0
05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Missing The Boat: Steelers Mike Wallace Screwing Himself

May 20th, 2012 by CRAIG
http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/2618995631_119cdedec3_z.jpeg?e98d57

If you look hard enough, you can see Mike Wallace standing on a dock down by the Allegheny River watching his boat full of cash float away without him…

The Steelers’ organized team activities, better known as OTA’s, begin on Tuesday. The OTA’s are fairly important for newcomers to the team, whether it be newly acquired free agents or freshly drafted rookies. These particular OTA’s are important because of the team’s new offensive coordinator Todd ‘Scruffy’ Haley.

This will be the first chance for the players to get acquainted with the new offensive schemes. I hear Rossetta Stone Inc. employees will be on hand to give out free trials of their Haley Offense Translations software (har har har, right Ben?)

A few players will be missing from those OTA’s – some injured, some not, but none more notable than Mike Wallace. Wallace, because of his refusal to sign his tender and the Steelers equal refusal to pay him the money he doesn’t really quite deserve yet, cannot attend the OTA’s. The way this situation is playing out, chances are Wallace won’t be attending anything until at least camp or after. And that doesn’t bode well for Wallace’s immediate and long term future.

If Ben is anywhere near correct about the complexity of Todd Haley’s offense, then the offense as a whole will need to rely heavily on these OTA’s to become familiar with the playbook. In my opinion (and I’m guessing many will agree) training camp is NOT meant for the team to learn the offense (or defense). The books have been handed out long ago, and the players should have studied up on every bit of each play. Camp is meant to gauge athlete vs. athlete and how each ‘fits’ into the overall team. Camp is about refining and finding the nuances within each play. Familiarity becomes mastery. Quarterbacks improve timing with their receivers.

Audibles are crafted. Each player is ‘on the same page’ as it were, so that communication does not breakdown out on the field. Sometimes camp isn’t long enough for all of that to happen. How many times have we seen in Weeks 1-3 routes break down, snap counts jumped, and even the wrong route be run by any given receiver? Too often than I would like to admit. But it’s all part of the growing pains of a team becoming a new cohesive group… and that’s when it’s an already implemented offense (or defense). Just think of the added complexity of having to practically start over with a new OC.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Mike-Wallace-could-be-a-game-changer-against-the-New-York-Jets-53889.jpeg?e98d57

This is where I see the beginning of the end for Money Bags Wallace. The longer he waits, the less time he has to learn. Should he wait until the end of camp to sign, it will take weeks for him to learn everything. He may be physically ready to play, but far from mentally ready. The Steelers will use him in a limited fashion – basically a one trick pony again until he can get better at the other routes. Sound familiar? A huge step backwards my Mike Wallace fans. Should he wait until the last moment to sign a contract with the team (November), that will spell even bigger disaster. No stats = no $$ (not to mention numerous teams who will run away from a hold out like Wallace faster than the advances of their first cousin).

The less time Wallace has on the field, the less opportunity he will have to catch a pass attempt. The less opportunity he will have to make a big splash play. The less opportunity to turn heads and impress teams with big cap room in 2013 – you obviously didn’t do enough in a Pro Bowl year in 2012, so what makes anyone think anything less productively will translate into that big contract? And through it all, it won’t mean anything for the Steelers. The longer he waits the less the Steelers will want to sign. The more productive Antonio Brown and Co are the less the Steelers will want to sign. His unwillingness to accept the tender after the draft will only continue to create a divide between himself and the front office. Wallace needed to pull an Ace before the draft and instead pulled a Two of Spades. He gambled and lost. Time to suck it up, work hard, play hard and get those big bucks next season.

Quick, someone run down to that dock and let him know that there’s still a chance for an even bigger boat with even more money to pull up – all he has to do is sign and get back onto that football field. Quick, someone get down there and save him because he obviously can’t save himself.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/20/missing-the-boat-steelers-mike-wallace-screwing-himself/

Steelersfan87
05-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Not really a very accurate assessment of the situation. Wallace will not miss all that much by skipping OTAs. He's not sacrificing much money, if any, long term by not attending voluntary workouts. Plus, he already has his playbook. He already has a rhythm with his quarterback. He'll be fine as long as he's in training camp.

QCbeauBlak
05-28-2012, 12:03 AM
I agree, Mike will be fine. The Panthers had a new coaching staff and a shortened offseason. That team had one of the better offenses in the league last year with a rookie QB and new coaching staff.

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Wallace, Management Need to Find Happy Medium

By Kevin Stott (Correspondent) on May 29, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/720/356/128804603_crop_650x440.jpg?1338270707

Mike Wallace finished 11th in the NFL with 1,193 receiving yards last season.
Justin K. Aller/Getty Images

Only time will tell if Mike Wallace and his agent, Bus Cook, playing hardball with Pittsburgh Steelers management will be end up being a beneficial thing for the 25-year-old wide receiver.

The restricted free agent still has not signed his one-year tender deal of $2.74 million, and it’s obvious he and Cook are using this delay as leverage to try to get a decent long-term deal with the club. It's a typical strategy in the NFL, and not necessarily a bad one by Wallace, who missed the beginning of voluntary workouts (organized team activities) last Tuesday.

If Wallace, (72 receptions, 1,193 receiving yards and eight touchdowns in 2011) were to somehow get injured during OTAs, though a remote possibility, his chance at landing a long-term lucrative contract with Pittsburgh, or any other team, would severely be diminished.

Steelers president Art Rooney and general manager Kevin Colbert have both stated the team wants to sign Wallace to a long-term deal.

"Our intention has always been to sign Mike to a long-term contract," Colbert said.

Wallace is unhappy with the tender offer, but the Steelers certainly aren’t in a position with their present salary cap to give him the monster contract like the one a league source said he wants that surpasses the eight-year, $120 million one Larry Fitzgerald signed with the Arizona Cardinals last year.

Wallace has until June 15 (one day after mini-camp ends) to sign the tender offer before the Steelers can cut it to 110 percent of his 2011 salary—or $577,500—a huge $2.1 million loss on Wallace’s part.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/442/422/125586822_crop_340x234.jpg?1338269585

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert is confident a deal with holdout Mike Wallace will eventually get done.
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

I highly doubt management will actually exercise that reduction piece of the tender offer as it would likely alienate Wallace even more, which could lead to him holding out for training camp and possibly the start of the season—a bad move and vibe for both parties involved.

So a little bit of hardball and posturing by both sides at this point in time, but most people think a deal will eventually get done.

"It'll be over, (just) a little bit of short-term misery,'' head coach Mike Tomlin said. "It won't be significant in the big scheme of things hopefully.''

The Steelers have been down this road in the recent past with Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes, and some cynical fans, tired of the prima donna wide receiver routine, think the Black and Gold will be just fine with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders showing much promise last year.

However, with Hines Ward now gone, not signing the speedy Wallace for at least one year would hurt the pass-heavy offense quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and new offensive coordinator Todd Haley hope to further cultivate.

So both sides need to give in a little bit next month. The Steelers need to pay the piper and Pro Bowler Wallace (and his agent, Cook) need to step back from demanding so much money that it hamstrings the club and any future deals it may want to try to make.

As it looks now, Wallace will continue this premeditated waiting game (missing mini-camp from June 12-14) until his agent takes one final pre-mini-camp attempt at securing a long-term deal, which the Steelers will likely deny if the asking price is still too high.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/442/421/136098119_crop_340x234.jpg?1338269450

With Hines Ward gone, the Steelers can't afford to start the 2012-13 season without Mike Wallace.
Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

Wallace should give in at this point (June 15) and sign his restricted tender offer knowing he could lose a lot money and hope the team agrees, in good faith, to return to the bargaining table—like it did with Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons last year—during training camp.

Should Wallace decide to play the ultimate hardball and sit out training camp and the start of the NFL season, he will not only hurt the team by having it lose the league’s best deep threat, but he will be hurting himself in terms of game shape and his image to other teams that may be interested in signing him next season.

If Wallace does sign the $2.74 million tender offer and the Steelers make no real effort to sign him to a long-term pact, he will then become an unrestricted free agent and other teams will then be able to bid on him for next season without the fear of losing a first-round draft pick.

This is a modern-day game of “NFL chicken,” with both sides not willing to give in to the other just yet with Wallace and his agent knowing how the game works and what happened last offseason.

I expect both sides to reach some sort of a happy medium during training camp with the young wide receiver wanting to spend the prime years of his football career with a quality organization like the Steelers.

However, if Wallace and Cook can’t agree to the best deal the Steelers have to offer under current financial circumstances, Wallace may end up going the same route as Burress and Holmes did—straight out of the Steel City.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1199765-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-management-need-to-find-happy-medium

Hawaii 5-0
05-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Mike Wallace Might Have His Stats Confused

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

On Tuesday Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor told John Harris on Trib Live Radio that restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace told him while the two were together in Las Vegas this past weekend that he had more yards than both Jerry Rice and Randy Moss through each their first three years in the league. Taylor told Harris that Wallace said, "Man I got more yards than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in three years. From their first three years." Taylor continued on, "And that's a stat I didn't know. So I'm looking at it like, shoot, I cant really argue with you."

Either Taylor misinterpreted what Wallace told him about the stats or both of the two really need to get on a computer and go to NFL.com. Wallace is 369 yards behind Rice through three seasons and 957 yards behind Moss. Now Wallace does edge both Rice and Moss in yards per catch, but he trails both in receptions and touchdowns. In fact he is way behind in the touchdown category.

Hopefully Taylor can relay this info back to Wallace or hopefully Taylor can clarify what stats Wallace might have been referring to.

Randy Moss

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD
1998 Minnesota Vikings 16 69 1,313 19 61T 17
1999 Minnesota Vikings 16 80 1,413 17.7 67T 11
2000 Minnesota Vikings 16 77 1,437 18.7 78T 15

TOTALS * 48 226 4,163 18.4 78 43

Jerry Rice

1985 San Francisco 49ers 16 49 927 18.9 66T 3
1986 San Francisco 49ers 16 86 1,570 18.3 66T 15
1987 San Francisco 49ers 12 65 1,078 16.6 57T 22

TOTALS * 44 200 3,575 17.9 66 40

Mike Wallace

2009 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 39 756 19.4 60T 6
2010 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 60 1,257 21 56T 10
2011 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 72 1,193 16.6 95T 8

TOTALS * 48 171 3,206 18.7 95 24

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/mike-wallace-might-have-his-stats-confused/

Bayz101
06-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Mike Wallace Might Have His Stats Confused

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

On Tuesday Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor told John Harris on Trib Live Radio that restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace told him while the two were together in Las Vegas this past weekend that he had more yards than both Jerry Rice and Randy Moss through each their first three years in the league. Taylor told Harris that Wallace said, "Man I got more yards than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in three years. From their first three years." Taylor continued on, "And that's a stat I didn't know. So I'm looking at it like, shoot, I cant really argue with you."

Either Taylor misinterpreted what Wallace told him about the stats or both of the two really need to get on a computer and go to NFL.com. Wallace is 369 yards behind Rice through three seasons and 957 yards behind Moss. Now Wallace does edge both Rice and Moss in yards per catch, but he trails both in receptions and touchdowns. In fact he is way behind in the touchdown category.

Hopefully Taylor can relay this info back to Wallace or hopefully Taylor can clarify what stats Wallace might have been referring to.

Randy Moss

1998 Minnesota Vikings 16 69 1,313 19 61T 17
1999 Minnesota Vikings 16 80 1,413 17.7 67T 11
2000 Minnesota Vikings 16 77 1,437 18.7 78T 15

TOTALS * 48 226 4,163 18.4 78 43

Jerry Rice

1985 San Francisco 49ers 16 49 927 18.9 66T 3
1986 San Francisco 49ers 16 86 1,570 18.3 66T 15
1987 San Francisco 49ers 12 65 1,078 16.6 57T 22

TOTALS * 44 200 3,575 17.9 66 40

Mike Wallace

2009 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 39 756 19.4 60T 6
2010 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 60 1,257 21 56T 10
2011 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 72 1,193 16.6 95T 8

TOTALS * 48 171 3,206 18.7 95 24

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/mike-wallace-might-have-his-stats-confused/

This post here shows we have an ignorant player on our team.

Fire Haley
06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
June 15th has arrived...

Steelers won’t reduce Wallace’s tender

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert confirmed the franchise will not slash unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace's salary from $2.72 million to $577,000 by Friday's deadline.

The Mike Wallace saga has come upon yet another significant date with very much the same action being taken – nothing.

Today is the (only) day the Steelers can slash Wallace’s still-unsigned one-year restricted free agent tender worth $2.72 million to $577,000 for the upcoming season.
The Steelers won’t do that.

"That's never been an intention of ours," Colbert said. "We want him to get a long-term deal that he deserves and I am real confident that we will be able to do that because when both sides want the same thing, it is only a matter of time."

The next important date for the “Wallace Watch” will be July 25 – the first day of training camp. Still, there is no guarantee he will show up at St. Vincent College, either.

Wallace could hold out until after the Nov. 12 game against Kansas City and still become an unrestricted free agent after the season (Vincent Jackson did that two years ago then signed a 5-year, $55 million deal with Tampa this year).

If Wallace decides to hold out the entire year, he would lose an accrued season and still be a restricted free agent again next year, which would not be a road he would take.

If a long-term deal is not reached, the Steelers could still hold onto Wallace for up to three more years. The Steelers could franchise tag Wallace each of the next three seasons, but with that number pushing well past the $10 million mark next year alone, that too is unlikely.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/06/15/steelers-wont-reduce-wallaces-tender/

TRH
06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
well....not really news, is it? We all knew the Steelers weren't going to exercise that right.

Now there will a lot of b****ing and complaining and speculating for the next month or so....because we're likely to get NOTHING for the next month, until we see if he shows up at the July camp.
Unless there's a miracle deal that gets done in the meantime, but all sources i've listened to so far say thats extremely unlikely to happen.

Fire Haley
06-15-2012, 02:04 PM
well....not really news, is it? We all knew the Steelers weren't going to exercise that right..

hasn't stopped the bitches from starting more threads about Wallace, has it?

Hawaii 5-0
06-15-2012, 03:26 PM

did you just call me a bitch?

zcoop
06-15-2012, 06:28 PM

did you just call me a bitch?

OOPs Looks as if he might have. :chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
06-17-2012, 01:14 AM

sounds like you could use a good bitch-slap...

mesaSteeler
06-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Deal Mike Wallace to Minnesota Vikings?
June 19, 2012 06:00 PM EDT
http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981415242

With a left tackle and a running back in place the time has come for the Minnesota Vikings to give their young quarterback a wide receiver. Do they have the ammo to take Mike Wallace from the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Mike Wallace Ben Roethlisberger #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers celebrates a second quarter touchdown pass with Mike Wallace while playing the Cleveland Browns on October 17, 2010 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Jerome Simpson isn't enough to help Percy Harvin with Christian Ponder

The NFC championship heartbreak in 2009 seems so far away for Vikings fans. Gone is the Brett Favre magic, replaced by rebuilding reality. Hopes sit uneasily on the shoulders of quarterback Christian Ponder who came out of the draft with questions and hasn't had enough time to answer them. Worse yet the best offensive weapon Minnesota has in running back Adrian Peterson hasn't fully recovered from a torn ACL and MCL in his knee. That puts more pressure on Ponder and a suspect group of wide receivers to carry the load until he's back healthy. The Vikings do have a budding star in Percy Harvin but their hopes of giving him help settled on the acrobatic but erratic Jerome Simpson. It was Harvin who voiced his anger about where the team is. It's not clear what upsets him but from the way he says things must get sorted out before training camp it's easy to think he isn't satisfied with what the Minnesota Vikings coaches and front office have done. Would getting him some help in the passing game ease the fury?

Steelers risk angering Ben Roethlisberger if they don't get Wallace back

Minnesota sits in a tough spot. Not only is their roster filled with question marks but the team also signed a new lease to stay in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. The Pittsburgh Steelers know all about that, expecting another season battling Baltimore and Cincinnati for playoff spots. That's why the team tries week after week to get Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace signed to either his franchise tender or a long-term deal. Neither offer suits the receiver, so his holdout continues. Team captain and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn't happy about it. He, more than anybody, knows what Wallace can do and believes the Steelers will need his talent and speed to stay on top. Management says the team wants to pay him but salary cap problems and a debate on Wallace's worth has created a deadlock. Unless he signs the tender or a deal gets worked out they risk losing him to free agency next season. That means they might have to lower their price in trade talks. Minnesota has both the cap and draft picks that could interest Pittsburgh. Wallace would go to team that plays indoors where speed counts for everything and give Ponder another reliable target besides Harvin.

Mike Wallace expects to stay with the Pittsburgh Steelers but if Ben Roethlisberger is right it won't happen until they pay him properly. The Minnesota Vikings settled for Jerome Simpson to help Christian Ponder, which didn't impress Percy Harvin. If the team wants to avoid rebuilding beyond 2012 they might want to think about a trade.

Hawaii 5-0
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/steelerscamp31.jpg

Bayz101
06-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Well, in all honesty, you never started a new thread about Wallace, at least not in that time-frame. Killer was probably talking about someone else who started a thread, rather than posting it in here. All articles about Wallace should go in here. I let off of it for a month or so after the draft, but once again, every thread about Wallace being published says basically the same shit, so all threads created out side of this thread, will be merged here.

Hawaii 5-0
06-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Well, in all honesty, you never started a new thread about Wallace, at least not in that time-frame. Killer was probably talking about someone else who started a thread, rather than posting it in here. All articles about Wallace should go in here. I let off of it for a month or so after the draft, but once again, every thread about Wallace being published says basically the same shit, so all threads created out side of this thread, will be merged here.

actually, mesasteeler and I both started new threads about Mike Wallace during that time-frame and I strongly disagree with you that they both basically say the same thing.

mesa's thread entitled "Taylor: Wallace frustrated with contract status" had 126 replies and 3618 views and my thread "NFL Rumors: Pittsburgh Steelers Owner Art Rooney Not Happy With Mike Wallace" had 47 replies and 1937 views so both threads drew a lot of interest and proved that they had a lot of merit and deserve to stand on their own instead of being merged into one super mega-thread that would take forever to read all the way through.

for Killer to call both mesa and I "bitches" was completely uncalled for and very inappropriate. I have never seen Killer post anything except for that one offensive comment and I really don't think you should try to defend him or to justify it. IMO, Killer is basically a coward who would never have the guts to say that to my face and I think he owes both mesa and I an apology.

MACH1
06-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Biatchs work better? :wink02:

Bayz is right, Wallace should go in here. We kind of slipped the last few weeks and let it slide. But it should go here instead of cluttering up the forum with a bunch of Wallace threads.

Hawaii 5-0
06-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Biatchs work better? :wink02:

way better...:thumbsup:

Hawaii 5-0
06-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Bayz is right, Wallace should go in here. We kind of slipped the last few weeks and let it slide. But it should go here instead of cluttering up the forum with a bunch of Wallace threads.

really, cluttering up the forum with new threads that draw a lot of interest? isn't that the purpose of a message board, to promote interest and discussion? if you had merged mesa's and my new Wallace threads into this huge mega-thread they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the amount of responses that our threads got, instead they would have just gotten lost in the shuffle of this huge Bermuda Triangle thread.

otherwise, why don't we just create one mega-thread for every single Steelers' player? any article about Ben goes in the "Ben" thread, any article or comment about David DeCastro should go into the "DeCastro" thread, etc.

that would make no sense and be pretty silly if you ask me...

pete74
06-22-2012, 04:43 AM
really, cluttering up the forum with new threads that draw a lot of interest? isn't that the purpose of a message board, to promote interest and discussion? if you had merged mesa's and my new Wallace threads into this huge mega-thread they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the amount of responses that our threads got, instead they would have just gotten lost in the shuffle of this huge Bermuda Triangle thread.

otherwise, why don't we just create one mega-thread for every single Steelers' player? any article about Ben goes in the "Ben" thread, any article or comment about David DeCastro should go into the "DeCastro" thread, etc.

that would make no sense and be pretty silly if you ask me...

I agree with you. More threads, especially in the offseason attracts more members. They look at the thread title when scanning for updates and nobody wants to read thru 70 pages of posts in one thread

Atlanta Dan
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Mike Wallace and his agent continue to get no love from the media - this from Pat Kirwan

The Steelers should spell out to Mike Wallace just how much money he can lose under the restricted tag and two franchise tags over the next three years versus doing a five-year deal now with significant guaranteed money in it. He will see $23.43 million over three years ($7.81 average) under the three tags IF he stays healthy. Keep in mind the franchise tag went down $2 million from 2011. A five-year deal now averaging just over $8 million should put $18 million guaranteed in his pocket now and close to $28 million over the first three years. He may be better than DeSean Jackson, who got $51 million over five years, but Jackson came into the NFL in 2008 and had a franchise tag on him this year. Wallace came in 2009 and is only a restricted free agent and simply doesn't have the same leverage. Both players were born in 1986, and Jackson now knows his contract expires as he turns 30. If Wallace plays on three tags he will be looking for a long term deal when he's going to be 28 and any serious injuries between now and then will hurt his market value.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19392599/prevacation-cleanup-10-items-on-todo-list-starting-with-mccoy

ricardisimo
06-23-2012, 02:10 AM
I'll weigh in on this again: If it involves Mike Wallace's contract situation (which was the original intent of this mega-thread) it should go here. It's the same story as it was four months ago, and people should be able to go to one place for recent developments. If it's about anything else Mike Wallace, you may have at it, go crazy and post wherever else it seems appropriate.

If we have been over-zealous with our merging powers in this regard, we apologize sincerely. But the point remains: this is one story, not four thousand. It belongs in one place.

Hawaii 5-0
06-26-2012, 01:31 AM
The Business End of an NFL Contract: Is Wallace Worth it?

by Lobo2387 on Jun 25, 2012

The reason for this post is in regards to Mike Wallace and whether or not he deserves a contract equal to that of Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson. The majority of people I have spoken with or have read posts about say he's not worth that kind of money and he's nothing more than a "One Trick Pony'. I however, want to play the Devil's Advocate here because where I don't feel 100% that he is worthy of that kind of money, I do feel he certainly is close to it and if not for the fact that the Steelers had Antonio Brown to fall back on in the second half of last years season, he certainly had a chance at breaking Jerry Rice's single season yardage record, which he claimed he was going to do before the season started.

Larry Fitzgerald's rookie year had him with 58 receptions for 780 yards and 8 touchdowns. In his second year, he had 103 receptions for 1409 yards and 10 touchdowns. Year three he had 69 receptions for 946 yards and 6 touchdowns. Also note that he only played 13 games in his third year year.

Calvin Johnson's rookie year had him with 48 receptions with 756 yards and 4 touchdowns. In his second year he had 78 receptions with 1331 yards and 12 touchdowns. Year three he had 67 receptions with 984 yards and 5 touchdowns. Also note that he only played in 15 games in his rookie year and 14 games in his third year.

Mike Wallace's rookie year had him with 39 receptions for 756 yards and 6 touchdowns. In his second year he had 60 receptions for 1257 yards and 10 touchdowns. Year three he had 72 receptions for 1193 yards and 8 touchdowns.

So let's look at the totals:

Larry Fitzgerald - 230 Receptions, 3135 Yards, 24 Touchdowns, 45 Games Played

Calvin Johnson - 193 Receptions, 3071 Yards, 21 Touchdowns, 45 Games Played

Mike Wallace - 171 Receptions, 3206 Yards, 24 Touchdowns, 48 Games Played

In every stat shown, the only number that Wallace fails to compare to is the amount of touches he received and that is simply due to his yard per catch total in his first two years. He is equal to or better than both Johnson and Fitzgerald in touchdowns and has more yards than both of them through their first three years. Plus let's not forget that Wallace has played in every game since being drafted which says a lot about his durability.

Now back to the point of this post. If Antonio Brown was not as good as he is, then Ben Roethlisberger is forced to continue to throw the majority of his passes to his primary receiver, Mike Wallace. Just take a look at the first half of last year compared to the second half in regards to Mike Wallace. In his first 8 games, he has 43 receptions for 800 yards. In his last 8 games he has 29 receptions for 393 yards. It is my opinion that due to Mike Wallace being in his final year of his contract, that he was targeted less times to intentionally keep his numbers down so they could use that to say he isn't as good as those other players that have received monster contracts. Yes, I have heard all the arguments as to Mike Wallace drawing double coverage and the like but that is not entirely true as this wasn't his first trip to the rodeo. Opposing teams knew all about Mike Wallace and his speed and he drew double coverage in the first half as much as he did in the second half. So why else would they stop throwing the ball his way if not to intentionally keep his numbers down?

Neither Fitzgerald nor Johnson had two 1000+ yards in their first three seasons, Mike Wallace has. If not for the combination of Ward and Holmes in Wallace's first year, I strongly believe that Wallace would have had back to back to back seasons of 1000+ yards and if not for them targeting receivers who were not Mike Wallace in the second half of last year, I strongly believe he would have finished the year with 1500+ yards and at least another 5 touchdowns.

So before anyone makes another statement about how Mike Wallace isn't worth the money that Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson are making, you might want to ask yourself whether they themselves are worth the money they are currently getting since Mike Wallace has proven with his stats that he is currently better than they both were in their first three years. Barring injury, he is only going to get better, and as for him being a "One Trick Pony", I agree, but being better than the two highest paid receivers in the NFL is one hell of a trick!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/23/3112408/the-business-end-of-an-nfl-contract#storyjump

ricardisimo
06-26-2012, 02:08 AM
I think suggesting that the Steelers brass purposely avoided throwing to him in order to keep his next contract down is entering tinfoil hat space.

tanda10506
06-26-2012, 02:19 AM
Mike Wallace and his agent continue to get no love from the media - this from Pat Kirwan

The Steelers should spell out to Mike Wallace just how much money he can lose under the restricted tag and two franchise tags over the next three years versus doing a five-year deal now with significant guaranteed money in it. He will see $23.43 million over three years ($7.81 average) under the three tags IF he stays healthy. Keep in mind the franchise tag went down $2 million from 2011. A five-year deal now averaging just over $8 million should put $18 million guaranteed in his pocket now and close to $28 million over the first three years. He may be better than DeSean Jackson, who got $51 million over five years, but Jackson came into the NFL in 2008 and had a franchise tag on him this year. Wallace came in 2009 and is only a restricted free agent and simply doesn't have the same leverage. Both players were born in 1986, and Jackson now knows his contract expires as he turns 30. If Wallace plays on three tags he will be looking for a long term deal when he's going to be 28 and any serious injuries between now and then will hurt his market value.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19392599/prevacation-cleanup-10-items-on-todo-list-starting-with-mccoy

I never really considered that when thinking about the situation, but how likely is it that we would franchise tag him? But the point of already being 28 when your looking for your largest contract and your BEST ASSET IS SPEED, must be something that Wallace's agent has ran by him. Any leg injury could cost him $10mil+. However if Wallace signed a 5 year, $40-45 mil deal (IMO it's a more realistic number), he would still be making good money and could pick up a "decent" contract elsewhere after those 5 years if he chose to do so. Every year some team spends decent money on a big name washed up 30+ WR, and Wallace won't even be "washed up" by then.

Steelersfan87
06-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Ike Taylor again said he thinks Wallace will get a new deal. He said "do I think he's going to get the deal done during camp? Yeah". He also said that he saw Wallace on thursday and confirmed that he was staying in shape on his own time.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06/steelers-ike-taylor-mike-wallace-training-camp-contract/

steelax04
06-27-2012, 08:15 AM
I'll weigh in on this again: If it involves Mike Wallace's contract situation (which was the original intent of this mega-thread) it should go here. It's the same story as it was four months ago, and people should be able to go to one place for recent developments. If it's about anything else Mike Wallace, you may have at it, go crazy and post wherever else it seems appropriate.

If we have been over-zealous with our merging powers in this regard, we apologize sincerely. But the point remains: this is one story, not four thousand. It belongs in one place.

Maybe the title should be changed to the "Mike Wallace Contract Thread" just to be more specific. The current title makes it seem like all Mike Wallace items go here.

mesaSteeler
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19518580/report-very-little-negotiation-between-mike-wallace-steelers
Report: 'Very little negotiation' between Mike Wallace, Steelers

By Will Brinson | Senior NFL Blogger
July 6, 2012 8:03 pm ET

17 | Comments

Wallace and Pittsburgh aren't talking turkey right now. (US Presswire)

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert recently said that the team would love to reach a long-term deal with wideout Mike Wallace.

But there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of negotiation going on between the two sides. In fact, Len Pasquarelli of the Sports XChange wrote Friday that there's been "very little negotiation" between the two sides on a deal.

"With only about three weeks until the opening of camp, there has been no progress, and, in fact, very little negotiation, toward a resolution of wide receiver Mike Wallace's contract situation in Pittsburgh," Pasquarelli wrote on Friday.

This shouldn't be that big of a surprise. The Steelers like Wallace a lot, but they also risked losing him given the restricted free agent tender they gave him this offseason. Pittsburgh's already squeezed up against the salary cap as it is, and handing Wallace a pile of money well before he hits free agency isn't the most prudent thing to do.

Plus, the Steelers and Wallace might not agree on what he's worth. None of this matters all that much until training camp begins, though.

Losing Wallace for earlier portions of the offseason is a pain, and the contract chatter is certainly a distraction. But if Wallace is refusing to show up it could spur the two sides to start talking in advance of him missing out on training camp. And if those talks heat up, it's much more likely that a deal can get done.

Hearing that the two sides aren't talking in the early part of July isn't good news, but it's not a complete disaster either, even if the Steelers would prefer not to be dealing with it.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter, subscribe to our RSS Feed and subscribe to our Pick-6 Podcast and NFL newsletter. You can follow Will Brinson on Twitter here: @willbrinson.