PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mike Wallace Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mesaSteeler
03-01-2012, 06:55 AM
The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/02/29/steelers-taking-calculated-risk-with-wallace/

Steelers taking calculated risk with Wallace
February 29th, 2012

The deadline for using franchise tags is Monday, but the Steelers have all but decided they won’t use one on receiver Mike Wallace.
The cost of a franchise tag for wide receivers — it is projected at a little under $9.5 million — isn’t feasible for a team that is right up against the projected 2012 salary cap and has more on its offseason to-do list than just signing Wallace.
There is a risk in placing the highest tender on restricted free agents, as the Steelers are set to do with Wallace.

Teams that would have had to give up first- and third-round picks in the past to sign Wallace only lose a first-round pick if they lure him away from the Steelers.
That change in the collective bargaining agreement — and cost — has stirred speculation that Wallace will be one of the more sought-after free agents come March 13 at 4 p.m., with the line for his services forming behind San Francisco.
Or New England.
Or Cincinnati.
Or Baltimore.

The reality is that the cost of signing Wallace away from the Steelers is still a prohibitive one.

Teams that have to give up a first-round pick for Wallace also have to overpay the Pro Bowler since the Steelers have the right to match any offer.
That combination is why Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine that he would be hesitant to sign a high-profile restricted free agent.

It is also enough of a deterrent for me to think that Wallace is anything but as good as gone if the Steelers don’t use the franchise tag on him.
I know it only takes one team –- and the Patriots, it should be noted, are flush with extra draft picks and salary cap space -– to overpay for a player.
And that it happens every year during free agency.
But the Steelers, given their own constraints and what they would receive if they lose Wallace, won’t be rolling the dice when they offer him the highest tender.
They will be taking a calculated risk, and one that is the correct play when it comes to Wallace.

– Scott Brown

Kingmagyar
03-01-2012, 08:56 AM
What if a team made an offer that was like for a 15 million roster bonus but only a per year rate of 1 million per year for 5 years. It would be a 5 year 20 million dollar deal (4 mil per) and the Steelers couldn't match it because of the huge roster bonus. A team would get Wallace for like 4 mil per year and Wallace would be stuck playing for that unless he can refuse to sign that. By refusing he must play for the steelers at around 3 mil.for one year, which would be ironic but bad in the long run as he would become an UFA the next year and we would lose him and not get anything but a compensatory pick in return. One of the negatives for Wallace is the offer from another team is non negotiable.

Patriots could be outbid by a team overpaying Wallace. San Francisco and even Chicago a more desperate team for a wideout could make crazy offers to Wallace. New England won't break the bank in regards to Wallace or anyone not named Brady.

Steel Peon
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Here is my Top 3 list of teams that SHOULD be trying for wallace:

1) Carolina - Cam Newton needs a great target to throw perfect passes to.
2) New Orleans - A deep threat in Brees' hands would be deadly, mainly because it would free up the other targets he like to spread it out to.
3) Green Bay - Again, a deep threat in the hands of Rodgers........yikes.

Honorable mention: Buffalo - Fitzpatrick could really use a dependable receiver.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM

2) New Orleans - A deep threat in Brees' hands would be deadly, mainly because it would free up the other targets he like to spread it out to.

Honorable mention: Buffalo - Fitzpatrick could really use a dependable receiver.

New Orleans dont have a first round pick.....

Curtain_of_Steel
03-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Wallace stated he wanted a top QB. I'm thinking Carolina is out, and Newton already passed for a ton of yards, I dont think he needs a WR as much as they need help on Def.

Saints are out.

GB, not sure of their cap number, but I'm thinking they won't go for him.

PATS, Ravens(although flacco doesnt meet the criteria of a great qb, lol)

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 11:20 AM

i will throw a freakin party if carolina signs him

Set-Man
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Actually the Steelers admin has the upper hand in this one.
We lose too many players without getting anything for them, unlike the Patriots who do a great job in racking up draft picks.
If we do lose him then at least we gt a first rounder. how many times have we been able to say that?
I don't care if it is the last pick, there will be a quality player available that firs one of our deficiencies - OL, DL, corner.
They can pick a random speedster in the later rounds if one is available to get the next Wallace (one trick pony).

Steel_Bus_24
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Im sick of that Wallace is mediocre BS....Hes not just some dime a dozen speedster.....his speed is truly special

bDdr6I-j1lw

Finding Gems like Wallace in the draft isn't like going down to the grocery store and picking up some milk

Hes not all time great, but he means a lot to this offense....an offense that already struggles to put up 20

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
if we lose wallace i see either 2 things happening

cotch gets resigned to a multi-year deal

or

we draft a running back in rds 1-3, and emphasise more on a running game

best case scenario is we keep wallace and nobody else outbids us, but i don't think that'll be happening. i don't think the patriots will go after him though tbh. they have way too many holes on defense that need to be addressed. not to mention they already have welker, gronk, and hernandez. their offense really does not have a need for playmakers at wr. if anything the main thing that will make their offense downright scary is a good running back

Sixburgher
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
We lose too many players without getting anything for them, unlike the Patriots who do a great job in racking up draft picks.

Like whom? The only player I can think of recently that we "lost" who was actually a serious contributor was Holmes who has since turned into a clubhouse cancer with the Jets.

LVSteelersfan
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
The Patsies may rack up draft picks but their drafts suck. They seem to want to keep trading those picks during the draft but never do anything with them. They just pile up picks for the next year that they trade in the next draft. What they do seems ludicrous to me. Without Brady on that team they wouldn't come close to breaking .500 or sniffing the playoffs with the horrid drafts they keep coming up with.

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 01:40 PM
The Patsies may rack up draft picks but their drafts suck. They seem to want to keep trading those picks during the draft but never do anything with them. They just pile up picks for the next year that they trade in the next draft. What they do seems ludicrous to me. Without Brady on that team they wouldn't come close to breaking .500 or sniffing the playoffs with the horrid drafts they keep coming up with.

Honestly...How good do you think we are without BR 7? 8-8?

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 08:28 PM
if we lose wallace i see either 2 things happening

cotch gets resigned to a multi-year deal

or

we draft a running back in rds 1-3, and emphasise more on a running game

best case scenario is we keep wallace and nobody else outbids us, but i don't think that'll be happening. i don't think the patriots will go after him though tbh. they have way too many holes on defense that need to be addressed. not to mention they already have welker, gronk, and hernandez. their offense really does not have a need for playmakers at wr. if anything the main thing that will make their offense downright scary is a good running back

That's exactly what I was thinking. Tom Brady to whomever receiver is all I see when it comes to big plays. I haven't even heard one big name of a RB from their team.

Yes, also, their defense is visibly suffering. Lol, lets not cry over it though! :chuckle:

pancake
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
What if a team made an offer that was like for a 15 million roster bonus but only a per year rate of 1 million per year for 5 years. It would be a 5 year 20 million dollar deal (4 mil per) and the Steelers couldn't match it because of the huge roster bonus. A team would get Wallace for like 4 mil per year and Wallace would be stuck playing for that unless he can refuse to sign that. By refusing he must play for the steelers at around 3 mil.for one year, which would be ironic but bad in the long run as he would become an UFA the next year and we would lose him and not get anything but a compensatory pick in return. One of the negatives for Wallace is the offer from another team is non negotiable.

Patriots could be outbid by a team overpaying Wallace. San Francisco and even Chicago a more desperate team for a wideout could make crazy offers to Wallace. New England won't break the bank in regards to Wallace or anyone not named Brady.

Bonuses are prorated, so Steelers could easily match that offer.

Set-Man
03-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Like whom? The only player I can think of recently that we "lost" who was actually a serious contributor was Holmes who has since turned into a clubhouse cancer with the Jets.

Who have we "lost" well,

Steve Courson, 50, was killed outside his Farmington, Pa., home in November while trying to remove a 44-foot tree from his property. The former guard was crushed while apparently trying to save his dog, after a gust of wind changed the direction of the falling tree. His black Labrador retriever was found alive, tangled in Courson's legs.

In March 2005, David Little was bench-pressing weights alone at his Miami home when the coroner determined he suffered a heart arrhythmia, causing the 46-year-old former linebacker to drop a 250-pound barbell on his chest. The bar rolled across his neck and suffocated him.

Terry Long, 45, an offensive guard whose eight-year career was derailed by a positive test for steroids, committed suicide in Pittsburgh in June 2005 by drinking antifreeze. Twice divorced, he had serious legal problems stemming from his failed food-processing business and had made two previous suicide attempts.

The youngest of the Steelers to die was 36-year-old Justin Strzelczyk, a tackle who had a series of run-ins with the law after he retired. He died after a 40-mile, high-speed chase on the New York Thruway in September 2004. Driving his Ford F-250 pickup at speeds in excess of 100 mph, Strzelczyk made obscene gestures and tossed beer bottles at the police following him. The chase came to a fiery end when, while on the wrong side of the road, he slammed into a tanker truck.

StainlessStill
03-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Steve Courson, 50, was killed outside his Farmington, Pa., home in November while trying to remove a 44-foot tree from his property. The former guard was crushed while apparently trying to save his dog, after a gust of wind changed the direction of the falling tree. His black Labrador retriever was found alive, tangled in Courson's legs.

Very sad and tragic. Just a little earlier in the year that he died, Steve came to my school and was a guest speaker. He was full of life and energy and proposed a strong message. He really seemed to enjoy life and had a knack at pubic speaking. He really connected with his audience and relayed his message nicely. If I remember correctly, it was about taking care of your body and not abusing steroids or any other type of drug, the life he had walked.

Was pretty weird to learn sometime later he died while being crushed by a tree while saving his dog. Sad story.

tanda10506
03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I am unsure about Wallace, but with the Rooney saying Wallace was the number one priority and after Ward was released today, I dont see why everybody thinks we will lose him. Its the one player recently that the owner has spoke out about keeping, I am sure we at least have a solid shot at keeping him.

Kingmagyar
03-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Bonuses are prorated, so Steelers could easily match that offer.

A Roster Bonus I believe is not pro-rated so that is why the Steelers would not be able to match it and that is what poses the most danger for the Steelers.

Millers the sh!t
03-02-2012, 03:25 AM

Pats qb position isn't hard at all. 8 seconds in the pocket to throw a ball 7 yards. As long as they have a Solid line they'll be successful with or without Brady. Cassel went 11-5 not playing a down since highschool.

Defenses just need to learn how to stop that dink and dunk shit. If they get a legit deep threat like Wallace to stretch the field, their offense will be unstoppable. It almost already is.

Even though I hate the pats with a passion I think they draft well. They'll keep letting those picks roll over until they have enough to trade up 3 times in one draft or own the whole thing all together. Then we'll have another 15 years of listening to how great these scumbags are.

ricardisimo
03-02-2012, 03:34 AM
Honestly...How good do you think we are without BR 7? 8-8?
We went 15-1 with a rookie Ben, and I think we are something like 6-2 or 7-2 or something without him since then. What were you thinking? Did you think the Steelers suck, but have a god-like QB?
Pats qb position isn't hard at all. 8 seconds in the pocket to throw a ball 7 yards. As long as they have a Solid line they'll be successful with or without Brady. Cassel went 11-5 not playing a down since highschool.

Defenses just need to learn how to stop that dink and dunk shit. If they get a legit deep threat like Wallace to stretch the field, their offense will be unstoppable. It almost already is.

Even though I hate the pats with a passion I think they draft well. They'll keep letting those picks roll over until they have enough to trade up 3 times in one draft or own the whole thing all together. Then we'll have another 15 years of listening to how great these scumbags are.
But they really don't draft that well at all, especially not the last five or six years. So far as I can tell, they are getting one starter and one decent backup out of every draft, which is what even the worst team in the league gets (if they want to save face, that is).

zcoop
03-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Dink and Dunk is why that QB gets the time that he has. The D has to respect the quick slants and the double move up the field pass potential. Their schemes are great. I hate to admit it, they get the most out of what they have because of working within their means. Marcia has a very quick release to boot.

pancake
03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
A Roster Bonus I believe is not pro-rated so that is why the Steelers would not be able to match it and that is what poses the most danger for the Steelers.

I believe all bonuses are prorated.

Kingmagyar
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
I believe all bonuses are prorated.

You could be right but found this on a web site about salary cap

Roster bonuses are also considered signing bonuses if the contract was signed after the last preseason game.

The non-guaranteed amount of any salary advance, off-season workout bonus, off-season ROSTER BONUS, or off-season reporting bonus is included in the team’s salary in the year it was earned. These bonuses cannot be prorated. “Guaranteed” refers to those bonuses that are fully guaranteed–regardless of skill, injury or termination of the contract.

So a team could offer Wallace non guaranteed Roster Bonus the first day of camp and the whole amount would go on that year's cap.

This still could be bad info I found and not correct.

Kingmagyar
03-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Seems according to this last report the Patriots have 47 million in cap space to spend.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1080779-new-england-patriots-tracking-2012-signings-targets-and-rumors/page/3

Imagine a Super Bowl team that has this much money to improve their team to be even better in a year where the free agency crop is the best maybe all time. Scary.

They may be franchising Welker for the next couple years and then signing Wallace for the long haul. They can afford both easily if they want.

They can afford Vincent Jackson as well but probably will be outbid by a team paying him way too much. The Pats may have the money but they won't grossly over pay someone.

Hope someone like Chicago or San Fran likes Wallace more and overpays him. At least he will be in the NFC.

What's bad about the Wallace situation is a team can wait until April 20th before making him an offer so if they bomb out getting a top free agent wide out they still have Wallace as an option 6 days before the draft. This may be a good thing say if Chicago can't land one and we end up with the 19th pick in the draft. Bad for the Steelers because they won't know if they're losing Wallace until late into free agency losing out on some mid tier guys we could sign to help replace him (Early Ducet, Laurent Robinson etc)

TRH
03-06-2012, 07:55 AM
possible, but the Patriots do have a lot of positions (like we do) that need overhauls and help and i don't see them adding another $9 million or so receiver. Chicago might express an interest. Guess we'll see.

micraydim
03-06-2012, 07:58 AM
it's likely .

MasterOfPuppets
03-06-2012, 10:27 AM
virtually every where i've seen has the pats at 21-25 million under the cap ...:noidea:

NFL Offseason Primer: Team by Team Salary Cap Projections (http://nflsfuture.com/2012/02/07/nfl-offseason-primer-team-by-team-salary-cap-projections/)

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/02/07/nfl-offseason-primer-team-by-team-salary-cap-projections/

OX1947
03-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Steelers get a 1st rounder worst case. Steelers are 11 for 11 in the first round the last 11 picks, so, if it happens, so be it. No top receivers should get more then 7 million a year, less Jerry Rice or Randy Moss in their primes. Especially now. Receivers are a luxury not a necessity.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
In a passing league, they are not a luxury.

On a team where the OLINE sucks, and your RB's are suspect at best, currently. Your WR's are not a luxury.

On a team where you dont have a legitmate guy(brown got open due to the double team, still a good wr) to take the #1's spot, the WR is not a luxury.

On a team where your 3rd WR has beenhurt sleeping at night, your WR's are not a luxury

They are a necessity! Potentially one of those WRs only comes around once every 10-15 years, and we have 2. Two that compliment each other. Thats not a aluxury, thats called stepping in shit and its a huge asset. Rarely does a draft like that occur that can producte 2 in a row.

I felt like Jeff Foxworthy there for a minute lol

OX1947
03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
In a passing league, they are not a luxury.

On a team where the OLINE sucks, and your RB's are suspect at best, currently. Your WR's are not a luxury.

On a team where you dont have a legitmate guy(brown got open due to the double team, still a good wr) to take the #1's spot, the WR is not a luxury.

On a team where your 3rd WR has beenhurt sleeping at night, your WR's are not a luxury

They are a necessity! Potentially one of those WRs only comes around once every 10-15 years, and we have 2. Two that compliment each other. Thats not a aluxury, thats called stepping in shit and its a huge asset. Rarely does a draft like that occur that can producte 2 in a row.

I felt like Jeff Foxworthy there for a minute lol

Sanders will be fine. He was out this year because his mother died too. Brown and Sanders are book ends. Sign Cotch, you got your 3rd and heath miller at TE. That is a good receiving core. Steelers then can get their middle linebacker of the future AND a guard in the first round and still have their 2nd to stock pile on the defensive line or get another corner.

truesteelerfan
03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Makes me hate the Cheatriots even more

60_MINUTES
03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
the report is wrong and the article is wishfull thinking... every site I have went to has pats around 20 mil or so under the cap but that was before the welker deal... so at this point they are 10 or so and like everyone else need to sign draft picks.. not to mention someone might want to spend some money on Def..lol they were only 32nd in the league and the main reason they lost the superbowl... The guy behind the article is full and clear a major pats fan on bleacher report

Fire Arians
03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
it's likely .

i don't think it's gonna happen. even though they made the super bowl they have way too many holes to think WR. If they were smart, they would either spend that money making their defense at least decent, or complete their offense with a good running back, instead of adding a wr. their passing game is already lethal, adding a WR would still make them 1 dimensional. Now if their offense had a real running back, they would just be crazy good. For those who say the pats don't have a big play threat, they do. I believe hernandez and gronk are what you call big play threats, you don't have to run a 4.3 to be put in that category. You just have to have the tools to beat the people covering you, and both of those men are mismatches against most, if not all, NFL linebackers and safeties.

chicago is probably the most likely candidate, they're lacking at WR. matt forte can't do it all by himself

kan_t
03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
If the Pats are smart, they will go for Mario Williams instead of Wallace.

OX1947
03-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Welker getting top 5 money, the two TEs eventually, i find it hard seeing the Pats paying almost 30 mil just on 4 recievers at some point, unless they plan on letting welker or hernandez go in the future.

tony hipchest
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Steelers get a 1st rounder worst case. Steelers are 11 for 11 in the first round the last 11 picks, so, if it happens, so be it. No top receivers should get more then 7 million a year, less Jerry Rice or Randy Moss in their primes. Especially now. Receivers are a luxury not a necessity.

wallace is approaching his prime. no other wr has had a more productive first 3 years in the league than wallace (other than rice and moss). :tap:

anyone following the pats know they change their offensive philosophy every 2-4 years (right when their opponents have drafted and thinkthey are ready to stop them).

if the pats gets wallace they wont have to shell out top money for 2 tight ends and can trade 1 for 2 first rounders to some schmuck team like the raiders...

thats how they operate.

or the pats can go out and waste a bunch of money on an adalius thomas type player (their big money free agent signings of defensive players have typically been about as disappointing as their booty of draft picks).

60_MINUTES
03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
pats are not going after wallace... its just not gonna happen... they are 32nd in D.. Their O is not the problem... Scoring points is not the problem... Its all about the D and they know it

austinfrench76
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Blah blah blah. They aren't giving up a 1st rounder. Not how they do things. They do the exact opposite every year. The stock draft picks. Wallace is ours this year and we lose him or Brown next. Sucks but true.

jtbsteeler
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
If you're worried about losing Wallace, they have you where they want you. The FO isn't worried, they could've cut more ppl and franchised him. They did'nt and I trust that. Especially when they have the ... to cut the old farts who meant alot.

And quit tryingto take away from A. Browns ability. You don't get 1000 because the other guy is getting a double team. In that case Pettigrew would have 1000yds for Detroit. Who's getting the double team out of Cruz and Nicks. Both are good WR's. That double team BS is straight from a blog and its HYPE.

Do yourself a favor and go get NFL Replay and tell me if Brown doesn't make the catches that Wallace drops...
Double team or not.

Bye Mike Wallace, I appreciate your efforts with the Steelers. My team will be fine with the 1st round compensation. The Steelers FO thinks that they'll be fine without him, and so do I. Mikle Tomlin is a better evaluator of WR's than Cowher. Sweed was an injured BUST

OX1947
03-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Blah blah blah. They aren't giving up a 1st rounder. Not how they do things. They do the exact opposite every year. The stock draft picks. Wallace is ours this year and we lose him or Brown next. Sucks but true.

I've been saying that all year. No one is giving yup a huge contract AND a 1st rounder.

mesaSteeler
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
The Steel Mill

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/03/07/steelers-cant-overpay-wallace/

Steelers can’t overpay Wallace
March 7th, 2012

When the Steelers decided not to put the franchise tag on restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, they knowingly left a window open for the most dynamic receiver on the roster to sign somewhere else.

It is a chance they had to take.

And now, overpaying to keep him is a chance they cannot afford to take.

The Steelers spent the better part of the last month trying to get within the ballpark of the projected 2012 salary cap, and did a tremendous job of it.

They restructured contracts of five players and released six others including some of the all-time Steelers greats (James Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith) at their positions to knock a total of $40 million off of their salary cap.

Even with that, the Steelers are projected to be anywhere between $4 million to $8 million under the cap depending on the final salary cap number expected to be released any day now – nowhere near enough to match a big-time off to Wallace.

Now, there is still a lot of fat on the bone when it comes to the Steelers current top 51 players who count against the salary cap.

Jonathan Scott and Will Allen won’t contribute much at all during the upcoming season and are expendable. Their releases would save approximately $4 million more.

The Rooneys can also write big checks to James Harrison and Troy Polamalu to lower their cap number with restructures like they already did with Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Ike Taylor and Willie Colon that lanced nearly $26 million off the cap.

But if you don’t have to restructure, you shouldn’t. That’s just good business.

Even so, the reality of it all is that it won’t take much for a team like San Francisco to put the Steelers in an uncomfortable position on Tuesday when teams are allowed to offer restricted free agents contracts.

San Francisco is in the neighborhood of $23 million under the cap with quarterback Alex Smith still needed to be locked up. Even so, they would have plenty of money to offer Wallace if they chose to go that route instead of pursuing a guy like Vincent Jackson, who wouldn’t cost the 49ers a draft pick if they sign him.

Still, if the 49ers front load a contract that would give Wallace in the neighborhood of a $10 million cap hit for the upcoming year (the Steelers must match any deal as it is written), the Steelers wouldn’t be able to do much unless they purge a much more than they would feel comfortable doing.

There will be temptations to do so, but they couldn’t, shouldn’t and wouldn’t.

Wallace is extremely valuable to the offense in both the run and pass game, but not valuable enough to tamper with the integrity of the current roster that is still has a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl.

A first-round pick and an extra $10 million in your front pocket is much more enticing having Wallace catch a handful of 60-yard touchdowns next year.

They’ve replaces Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress before so you would think they feel the same way about Wallace.

However, the pros greatly outweigh the cons for keeping Wallace.

Pros: His speed makes the opposition game plan for him; he opens up space underneath for Antonio Brown; he’s 25; the Steelers really don’t have anybody on their current roster that can do what he does; his presence on the field helps the run game; and the Steelers would get a first-round pick if he leaves.

Cons: It could cost them money they don’t have.

And really, isn’t money the bottom line to this entire thing?

The Steelers want Wallace, but can’t afford to overpay him.

Wallace wants to stay with the Steelers but can’t turn down an opportunity at a big pay day somewhere else.

If some other team wants Wallace bad enough, there will nothing the Steelers can do about it, or want to do about it.

That just might not be a bad thing.

– Mark Kaboly

Millers the sh!t
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't think Pitt will over pay for great speed.

Steelerfreak58
03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
I think there is a point where the FO would let Wallace go. There is absolutely no reason to break the bank over the guy. Sure he has speed and he is a valuable part of the team but I think Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery would do a damn fine job with a draft pick as the number 4 guy.

I like Wallace but honestly I think Ben tried holding on to the ball too long looking for the deep stuff when dinking and dunking his way down the field would have done a lot better. If you need proof all you need to do is look at the first half of the Patriots, Seahawks, Titans, games as proof. Getting the ball out of his hands quickly using the run game and PA and hitting Miller worked like wildfire. When it was working someone who is no longer with the organization would seem to get stupid and move away from it and start looking to go deep...

Wallace is a great receiver but he just isn't worth breaking the bank over.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2012, 01:39 AM
^^^^^

I agree... Towards the second half of the season they were forcing the ball to Wallace 4+ times a game trying to hit the homerun. Most the balls were under/over thrown and rarely connected. I think to get the most out of Wallace I say pound the ball with redman hit the underneath routes and then throw it deep to Wallace on play action WHEN/IF HE'S OPEN.

Running 50 yards a game plus going deep to Wallace every other possession ain't gonna pull the safeties in to set up the big plays. Hopefully Haley turns things around and our offense really takes off.
My biggest hope with or w/out Wallace is that we can get the redzone offense firing.

It seemed to me like we had a bigger Chance of getting a td when we were lined up at the 30-40 yard line compared to when we were at the 20-1 yard line.

I'm hoping/expecting more out of I. Redman and H. Miller this season than anyone else.

OX1947
03-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Worst case, steelers get another first rounder. You can always find a reciever, cant find 2 first rounders in the same draft.

steeltheone
03-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Cap strapping the franchise with Wallace would hurt more than losing him in the long run.

Rick5895
03-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Cap strapping the franchise with Wallace would hurt more than losing him in the long run.

Exactly!! As much as I like Wallace, if he were to leave because someone overpays for him, I think we are better off. Maybe not this season but for the next few after that.. 2 1st round picks would be of benefit and allow us to re sign others and keep them Steelers, although Brown won't come cheap either, next season.
With Bowe being franchised and the Bills over paying for that clown Johnson, Wallace may have been priced right out of our ballbark.

Ricco Suavez
03-08-2012, 05:56 AM
What I have been saying all along, just been preparing myself for this. It is time for others to face the reality that this is a real possibility.

kan_t
03-08-2012, 06:00 AM
The reality is that other teams also likely don't want to overpay Wallace AND give up their first round pick.

Kingmagyar
03-08-2012, 07:08 AM
The reality is that other teams also likely don't want to overpay Wallace AND give up their first round pick.

I'm beginning to believe that more and more. Although the Raiders gave up a #1 and #2 for Carson Palmer a guy who was horrible his last year in Cincy.

Wallace's post season career may scare some teams off as well.

3 rec 26 yards Denver

3 rec 20 yards Baltimore
1 rec 6 yards NY Jets
9 rec 89 yards G.B. Super Bowl* 9.9 ypc
*ran the wrong route and dropped pass on crucial 4th down on final drive.

soulkitchen
03-08-2012, 07:38 AM
I am beginning to look forward to having another draft pick. With the extra pick we can do a little movement in the draft and target an impact player to make up for loosing Wallace.

We'll just sign Cotch and pay Brown later, and continue to build in the draft.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Define overpay?

Based on the market, is he worth more than Johnson at the Bills? Is he better than Johnson? Thats the market. Answers are both Yes.
Since you bring up dropped passes, Johnson dropped several key passes.

So define over pay?

I don't believe he should avg 9million. John is roughly 7million a change. That puts Wallace around 7.5 to 8million.

If your going to break a part games on good and bad, than Troy should be asked to take a pay cut, Taylor should be asked to take a pay cut. Oline should all just be cut. Coaching staff should take a pay cut.
A 3rd year all pro wr is not yet defined by a couple plays he is judged by performance.
Wallace has flat out performed.
3 years in the league in a non passing offense as some of you like to label, 24 tds, over 3,000 yards. Brown is what he is, because of the double coverage Wallace pulls and because Ben calls the bomb more times than he should. There are factors involved.

TRH
03-08-2012, 08:17 AM

+ 1. Agreed. We have pressing needs all over the place...we can't mortgage the entire house for one guy. Besides...90% of the decision will be the agent's...not Mike's. Unfortunately thats the way it goes today.

OX1947
03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Define overpay?

Based on the market, is he worth more than Johnson at the Bills? Is he better than Johnson? Thats the market. Answers are both Yes.
Since you bring up dropped passes, Johnson dropped several key passes.

So define over pay?

I don't believe he should avg 9million. John is roughly 7million a change. That puts Wallace around 7.5 to 8million.

If your going to break a part games on good and bad, than Troy should be asked to take a pay cut, Taylor should be asked to take a pay cut. Oline should all just be cut. Coaching staff should take a pay cut.
A 3rd year all pro wr is not yet defined by a couple plays he is judged by performance.
Wallace has flat out performed.
3 years in the league in a non passing offense as some of you like to label, 24 tds, over 3,000 yards. Brown is what he is, because of the double coverage Wallace pulls and because Ben calls the bomb more times than he should. There are factors involved.

The argument of Antonio Brown is what he is because Mike Wallace gets double teams is dumb. I have no idea where this came from and why people keep saying it but that's just dumb. Mike Wallace has performed but no receiver is worth more then 7 million a year. Same with running backs.

A team needs 3 things to win titles these days. A franchise QB, a consistent pass rush and end of the year momentum.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Wallace ain't high in my books as far as top calibre receivers. If he gets a step or two on someone and if Ben throws a ball on target then he's good. I'd rather a big man who can get the balls while being covered (single or double) cause he uses his size and physicality to take what's his. I think that offers more production especially in times of need. Like a two minute offense etc.

vball
03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
i love wallace and he makes plays... doesn't dop many passes...but if it gets to expensive, i would go after lee evans, who just got released.

finesward
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
^^^^^

I agree... Towards the second half of the season they were forcing the ball to Wallace 4+ times a game trying to hit the homerun. Most the balls were under/over thrown and rarely connected. I think to get the most out of Wallace I say pound the ball with redman hit the underneath routes and then throw it deep to Wallace on play action WHEN/IF HE'S OPEN.

Running 50 yards a game plus going deep to Wallace every other possession ain't gonna pull the safeties in to set up the big plays. Hopefully Haley turns things around and our offense really takes off.
My biggest hope with or w/out Wallace is that we can get the redzone offense firing.

It seemed to me like we had a bigger Chance of getting au td when we were lined up at the 30-40 yard line compared to when we were at the 20-1 yard line.

I'm hoping/expecting more out of I. Redman and H. Miller this season than anyone else.

Not to mention it was on a play when Ben was trying to force the deep throw that he got mangled and injured his ankle which effectively ended our chances this year.

Goldsteel86
03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Here it is, the Mike Wallace bashing thread, no one complained when he scored the only TD against Indy, when will it be Ben's tur, Troy's turn, hell next year it will be Antonio Brown, let the bashing continue!!!!

FrancoLambert
03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
i love wallace and he makes plays... doesn't dop many passes...but if it gets to expensive, i would go after lee evans, who just got released.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wait, you want Lee Evans, a Raven reject.
I'd take Plaxico over him in a second, and I don't want Plax at all.
We can do better than Lee Evans. The draft.

finesward
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Here it is, the Mike Wallace bashing thread, no one complained when he scored the only TD against Indy, when will it be Ben's tur, Troy's turn, hell next year it will be Antonio Brown, let the bashing continue!!!!

Lest we not forget troy scored a Td in that game too... Bashing no, evaluating yes.

zcoop
03-08-2012, 05:38 PM

Agreed. Some of these folks don't have a clue. They don't really know how having Wallace affects the opposing D and their schemes. If we lose Wallace, we take a step backwards because no other receiver on the team invokes fear on the opponent.

He's worth every damn penny of the money that the position dictates. We will get what we pay for in today's NFL. It is what it is.

tony hipchest
03-08-2012, 05:50 PM
A team needs 3 things to win titles these days. A franchise QB, a consistent pass rush and end of the year momentum.thats like saying a team needs only 3 things-

luck
a ticket to the dance
and year of the end momentum

cant have none of the above w/o playmakers.

zcoop
03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
thats like saying a team needs only 3 things-

luck
a ticket to the dance

Exactly, some folks seemingly think that the QB is the only positon that wins SBs. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Football is a team sport and success is a summation of the parts. Somebody's got to throw the ball, run the ball, catch the ball, block and play D.

Most former SB champs have had talented Wrs to catch the ball.

OX1947
03-08-2012, 06:39 PM

luck
a ticket to the dance

Did you just call me an ahole?

6RingsAndCounting
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
We're going to offer what he is worth, and if someone thinks he's worth more than he is.. Bye

Steelboy84
03-08-2012, 06:49 PM
If we don't retain him, then who becomes our number one? Brown isn't quite ready for that yet imo.

tony hipchest
03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
If we don't retain him, then who becomes our number one? Brown isn't quite ready for that yet imo.can you explain why wallace was ready as a 3rd year player, but AB isnt?

tony hipchest
03-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Did you just call me an ahole?

did you just call me a dick?

:mg:

luck
a ticket to the dance

LVSteelersfan
03-08-2012, 07:53 PM
As usual not everyone is going to agree on this. Bottom line is Wallace can be bought by another team IF HE WANTS IT. If he is greedy and there is another team that would rather throw away a first round pick as well as pay through the nose, instead of going for Vincent Jackson (OMG I wish we had someone with his talent and size on the team) then more power to them. We probably end up with a late first round pick but it is still first round. Perhaps we could trade that first round pick and a later pick to move up far enough in the draft to get one of those stud players like Poe or Kalil that we really need.

ricardisimo
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
can you explain why wallace was ready as a 3rd year player, but AB isnt?
Not to mention that his numbers were almost identical to Wallace's, despite starting the year third or even fourth on the depth chart. Not sure what he needs to show to earn people's trust.

StainlessStill
03-08-2012, 10:42 PM
If we don't retain him, then who becomes our number one? Brown isn't quite ready for that yet imo.

You know, better timing with young receivers like Antonio Brown's route running and the ability to read defense's is always a work in progress. That will come with time. The one thing that sticks out to me is AB's ability to turn up at big moments and virtually make the best of EVERY opportunity that Ben throws his way. Yes, Wallace's speed is tremendous, but as impressive as Wallace's speed is, Brown is just as impressive with the way he runs around the field like silk and literally comes through with clutch play, after clutch play.

Judging by AB's progress last season and his reliability in the pass game, it's silly not to trust him as a #1 because he's as worthy as Wallace is at this point. It's just good to have a compliment on the other side of the field.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Agreed. Some of these folks don't have a clue. They don't really know how having Wallace affects the opposing D and their schemes. If we lose Wallace, we take a step backwards because no other receiver on the team invokes fear on the opponent.

He's worth every damn penny of the money that the position dictates. We will get what we pay for in today's NFL. It is what it is.

Yeah nobody has a clue here. Especially the people who offer criticism based on facts. It's not a Wallace bashing thread, it's a thread offering more than the typical "yes man" generic answers.

By the way, we had a passing game before Wallace.
I love Wallace and am proud he's a steeler and proud of all his splash plays, but he's not worth breaking the bank for.

tony hipchest
03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
brown and sanders were both #1's in college with a collective 600 career college catches. they have hands like glue (probably the best hands on the team short of heath miller). both are equipped to being major contributors.

Millers the sh!t
03-08-2012, 11:01 PM

luck
a ticket to the dance

Ha ha ha no crap...ask the saints how well that worked out for them. U need a well rounded team. The complete package.

steeltheone
03-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Exactly, some folks seemingly think that the QB is the only positon that wins SBs. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Football is a team sport and success is a summation of the parts. Somebody's got to throw the ball, run the ball, catch the ball, block and play D.

Most former SB champs have had talented Wrs to catch the ball.

What you say is fundamentally true .....But you have to go back to 2003 to find a QB on a winning SB team who is not a Hall of Famer....

The NFL in modern times has demanded a top QB to be successful, even more so today.

pete74
03-09-2012, 03:22 AM
brown and sanders were both #1's in college with a collective 600 career college catches. they have hands like glue (probably the best hands on the team short of heath miller). both are equipped to being major contributors.

not saying either will or wont be a #1 but Sweed and Crabtree were also #1 wr's in college

ricardisimo
03-09-2012, 04:45 AM
not saying either will or wont be a #1 but Sweed and Crabtree were also #1 wr's in college
True, which made them both safe picks, Sweed probably more so. Even so, Sweed never produced even a fraction of what an eternally injured Sanders has already produced. And Crabtree is a disappointment, but not a bust. In fact, he was San Fran's #1 receiver, ahead of even Vernon Davis.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Who said Lee evans to replace Wallace if Wallace leaves?LOL

Seriously, lol

Kingmagyar
03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Are you so sure Wallace even was #1 the last half of last year?

While guys like Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Andre Johnson, & Wes Welker were their usual selves Wallace did not have a 100 yard game after week 7 and had 1 catch for 11 yards against the Browns in a game we thought we needed to win to get a bye week then had 3 catches for 26 yards in the playoff game. And I don't want the job description of our #1 receiver to be his job is to draw the double coverage so others can get open. That is B.S.

I'm beginning to think he's not going anywhere. The only reason New England would be a serious consideration is this is the year they have that extra #1.

Ricco Suavez
03-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I want Wallace to sign at least four-five year contract with the Steelers basically tying him up thru his most prolific years. If offered more money its not a matter of greed on his part, its taking a payday that most players cannot pass up. their earning period is only so many years long and they have to do what is best for them.

I , as a fan, would love to keep all of the best players but I know it is a business from both ends. The Front office looks to protect the now and the future, the players try to get that one big payday that sets them up for life. Should be no hard feelings on either side. I could see Wallace being unhappy if another team does not up the ante and the Steelers lock him up for the next year. If Wallace and the Steelers do not come to a long term agreement then next year the Steelers could put the tag on him and could cause more trouble with Wallace

. Lets hope both sides can come to a fair contract between them. As far as Johnson, just because one team chooses to overpay does not mean the Steelers have to.

Goldsteel86
03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Here's the deal (IMO) things with the Steelers are starting to come together, the franchise quarterback is becoming "seasoned", hitting his prime. The FO as well as the coaching staff have addressed serious needs, the need for WR's, in 2010 the Steelers took a gamble on two rookies. That worked out for one for sure, and another if he can stay healthy, bottomline line is this, if we can keep a QB upright, provide a more balanced attack with a running game the Steelers will be successful. Mike Wallace is an intregral part of that game plan, without him Brown gets the double teams (might I add he is not the best route runner), Sanders if he stays healthy may contribute, other than that the Steelers have Cotchery, I like Cotchery don't get me wrong, but is he the answer to this offense in Wallace's departure? I say bring Wallace back, build the WR corps, also work on the running game and for those who will criticize it Mendenhall is not the answer. Bring Wallace back, work the angles Khan is paid to work, sign Brown and lets go from there, do the Steelers really want to draft another WR and give him two years to learn the system? That is like a half step forward and three steps back!!!! :noidea:

zcoop
03-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah nobody has a clue here. Especially the people who offer criticism based on facts. It's not a Wallace bashing thread, it's a thread offering more than the typical "yes man" generic answers.

By the way, we had a passing game before Wallace.
I love Wallace and am proud he's a steeler and proud of all his splash plays, but he's not worth breaking the bank for.

We cool man. You must not have read what I typed. I said some folks and I think what I typed is fact based. I did not understand your "yes man" comment. Signing Wallace won't break the bank but not signing him will set us back in the passing game.

You may not agree, but that's cool.

zcoop
03-09-2012, 09:44 PM
What you say is fundamentally true .....But you have to go back to 2003 to find a QB on a winning SB team who is not a Hall of Famer....

The NFL in modern times has demanded a top QB to be successful, even more so today.

You are right the QB has to bee succesful and part of that success involves Wrs. The HOF has not been very kind to Wrs over the years as you know, so I don't know if the HOF variable is a true indication of talent relative to Wrs.

We have Bradshaw as QB HOF and two Wrs in Swan and Stallworth. Ben will probably be inducted too. Hines and Holmes may not make it into the HOF but both are SB MVPs and have stellar career numbers.

I am just an old team kinda guy when it comes to team sports, so I may have a different view than most folks today. But it's all good.

jjpro11
03-10-2012, 01:55 PM
once free agency begins, how long do teams have to sign Wallace to an offer sheet? when does the opportunity for them to sign him expire, and he becomes 100% Steelers property for 2012?

19ward86
03-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm not quite sure. But they can't negotiate until the 13th and i wouldnt be surprised if by Friday the 16th he is given an offer sheet.

Millers the sh!t
03-10-2012, 11:32 PM
We cool man. You must not have read what I typed. I said some folks and I think what I typed is fact based. I did not understand your "yes man" comment. Signing Wallace won't break the bank but not signing him will set us back in the passing game.

You may not agree, but that's cool.

Sorry my guy. I kind of responded to your comment and other comments I've read in the past by other posters. It kind of bothers me when board members complain about other board members who say negative things about steelers employees, ownership etc.

A yes man is someone who agrees with another person whether they are right/wrong or knows that a better decision could be made, but dont say anything cause they have no spine.

So...What I meant by the "yes men" comment was that people should be voicing their opinions both negative and positive if that's how they feel, and not just blindly comment about things like everything is all good with the organization when there are things that can improve.

People will say Wallace is the best and they should pay whatever cost to keep him.

I say he's a good player to have but his best contribution is speed and I'd rather spend more on a bigger physical player that can make catches not only when he has a step on a DB but also while being covered by a DB.

Then someone will cry and say it's a Wallace bashing thread cause, like a yes man they can't possibly accept criticism or admit that giving a good player the boot could be a better decision for the team.

mesaSteeler
03-11-2012, 07:24 AM
On the Steelers: The Mike Wallace Gambit
Sunday, March 11, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Both Art Rooney and Kevin Colbert have said publicly that Mike Wallace will be a priority.

"We're going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler," Colbert said.

Notice, he did not say for how long, because if they are able to keep him longer than 2012 by signing him to a multiple-year contract, Wallace will enter rare company -- a wide receiver the Steelers were able to keep during the nearly 20-year free agency era by signing them to big contracts.

Among wide receivers who left in free agency were Yancey Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Nate Washington, Bobby Shaw, Charles Johnson, Andre Hastings and more.

They also traded Santonio Holmes, Jeff Graham and Troy Edwards.

Here is the list of top wide receivers the Steelers were able to keep by signing them over the long term:

Hines Ward.

That's it.

The Steelers have a history of shrugging their shoulders when it comes to giving wide receivers long-term contracts since free agency began. They either did not want to keep them, did not want to pay them what others were willing to do, or they shipped them out and got meager returns before they could become free agents.

Ward is the only one they kept, and it seemed as though every time he signed a new contract, he said it guaranteed he would finish his career in Pittsburgh. Remember that the next time a player signs a new contract and is moved to declare the same.

Now it's Wallace's turn. He is a restricted free agent who must receive his one-year tender by 4 p.m. Tuesday. There are others too, but Wallace likely will be the only RFA to receive the $2,742,000 tender that would bring a first-round draft pick as compensation if he signs another deal and the Steelers decline to match it and keep him.

In fact, they have more decisions to make on their RFAs than they do their unrestricted free agents. The Steelers have four choices on RFA tenders, all carrying the right for them to match and the compensation they would receive for each if they do not:

• $2,742,000, first-round.

• $1,927,000, second-round.

• $1.26 million, original round in which player was drafted.

• Do not tender.

Let's look at some projections about what the Steelers might do:

Mike Wallace: First-round tender, which could set up three separate dramas, one of which may not end until around this time next year. The first is whether another team will offer him a contract and whether Wallace will sign it. If he does, it sets up the second, whether the Steelers will match it (if they CAN match it) or take the first-round pick. The third would occur if Wallace does not sign elsewhere, whether he and the Steelers can come to an agreement on a multiple-year contract or whether he plays the 2012 season for $2,742,000 and becomes a UFA next year.

Ramon Foster: Second-round tender. Usually, a starting guard would be worth a one-year $2,742,000, but the Steelers are watching their cap dollars and an $800,000 savings is worth it in this case. He was not drafted, so the lower tender would bring no draft choice.

Doug Legursky: Second-round tender. Same reasons as Foster.

Keenan Lewis: Original round. Lewis would bring a third-round draft pick. If William Gay leaves, he would compete to start with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. It's somewhat of a gamble and it's possible the Steelers will drop the second-rounder on him, too.

Ryan Mundy: Original round. Mundy would bring a sixth-round draft pick. As a backup, they cannot afford to pay him nearly $2 million.

David Johnson: Original round. Johnson would bring a seventh-round draft pick and it gets dicey here because they are so thin at tight end. Weslye Saunders, a rookie last season, is suspended for the first four games of the season. However, Johnson was used mostly as a fullback and they do have tight end Jame McCoy, whom they believe could handle that job.

Jamon Meredith: No tender, making him a UFA. They also are thin at tackle, but they also could re-sign him because he's not expected to attract much interest elsewhere.

A class ending to a classy career

It's rare when a player digs into his own pocket to purchase a newspaper ad to thank fans after his career comes to a close in a city. Newspaper ads are not cheap.

Alan Faneca did so when he bought an ad in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2008 after his career with the Steelers ended.

Now it's Aaron Smith's turn.

In today's PG (Page D-7), you will find an ad that Smith bought so he could express how he felt as his Steelers career, and likely his NFL career, comes to an end.

He writes:

• • • •

Dear Steelers Fans,

As of today, I am no longer a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I leave the field and Steelers with no regrets, and am grateful to have played for such a tremendous organization. I feel truly blessed to have spent my entire professional career in the best town, playing for the most loyal fans who have loved and supported myself and my family.

The last 13 years of our lives have been special because of the people who cheered me on, and I am truly fortunate to have been a part of the Steelers, the City of Pittsburgh and the Steelers Nation. You have opened your arms and your hearts to us as a family and we will never forget that. Your support, enthusiasm, love and dedication are gifts I will carry with me my entire life.

I may no longer be on the Steelers active roster, but I will always be a Steeler and will never forget the people who made it all worthwhile -- the fans, the Rooneys, the front office, the equipment guys and trainers, my teammates and family. Thank you for supporting me over the last 13 years, and I hope you will support me in whatever future path life will take me on.

We plan on making Pittsburgh our home and I will endeavor for the rest of my days to find a way to thank each and every one of you personally for all that you have done and meant for me and my family. You cheered for me for 13 years and now I cheer for you for the rest of my life. You will always be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to have the job of a lifetime. You will always be in my heart.

Your friend always,

Aaron Smith and Family, No. 91

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12071/1215923-66.stm#ixzz1ooJ4k4oK

Kingmagyar
03-11-2012, 11:10 AM
I heard a team has all the way up to April 20th to make an offer to him.

Thereby giving teams a lot of time to try and sign one of the other free agent WRs available and if they fail at that, they can use Mike Wallace as their backup plan as a last resort. This could seriously hurt the Steelers' chances of finding a replacement for him via free agency as by April 20th almost all the UFA WRs will be signed.

The Steelers then would have to rely on the draft for replacement WRS and that is why I have been predicting so adamantly they would pick one in the first round with the extra pick because we would only have Brown and Sanders for depth at that point.

steelcity1974
03-11-2012, 11:33 AM
It would be a complete f'ing disaster for us to not retain Wallace. Didn't we just let our SB MVP go for peanuts because we had faith that Wallace would become the Pro Bowler he has become? To lose another #1 receiver in such a short period of time would be a debacle.

steelerchad
03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't agree. Can't pay Wallace $9M/yr. Would love to keep him, but if we got a 1st rounder in return for losing him, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

defence
03-11-2012, 02:17 PM
It would be a complete f'ing disaster for us to not retain Wallace. Didn't we just let our SB MVP go for peanuts because we had faith that Wallace would become the Pro Bowler he has become? To lose another #1 receiver in such a short period of time would be a debacle.

I tried to stay out of all this wallace stuff; but these comments make me laugh!! You seriously can't believe the steelers will shell out 9 m to wallace and i don't see any team stupid enough to give up a first round pick plus that big contract to a guy who was completely outplayed at the wr position by antonio brown!! If he signs elsewhere; relax guys; there will still be football in sept and i'm sure the steelers will be in good shape with 2 first round picks!!:tt04:

pete74
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
i wonder if alot of you will feel the same way next season if we lose Brown because we refuse to pay him as well.

stb_steeler
03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
i wonder if alot of you will feel the same way next season if we lose Brown because we refuse to pay him as well.

Some will pete, it never ends....

Steel_Bus_24
03-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Seriously, People think we can just go down to the grocery store and pick out another top 10 WR like a Gallon of Milk

60_MINUTES
03-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Which side of the fence are you on. At first I was all about keeping wallace but after taking a good look at it and looking at all things I would give just about anything to see someone else sign him. Bottom line is we need a few things..long term things to get this team back where it needs to be.. WR is the one spot on the team that we are looking great.. Not to mention I dont think the Steelers will pay number one type money to TWO different Receivers. We have Brown, Sanders, IMO Crochery will be back, throw in Miller... that alone is one of the better Receiving cores without Wallace in all of football.

The reason I want the pick most is because of the chance it gets us to fix all our problems in one off season not to mention the money wallace would get.. just to much..

Bottom line what if we could get Hightower, and Glenn in first round... to me that would be a dream draft that could happen if Wallace went somewhere else..

Bring in Gaither for a small price at RT

you would have Gilbert Glenn Pouncey Colon Gaither on the OL

Hightower in the midd of that D with Timmons would be un real...

I know I Know Im sure all of you have many different things you would do with the extra pick and thats fine... but the poll question is simple do you want Wallace or do you want another draft pick...

I want the Draft pick...

at the same time I will say its a win Win for the Steelers either way... I think if he stays we are gonna be great with our New O Coord calling the plays...

anyway which side of the fence are you guys on??????

LayingTheWoodley56
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I understand what you are saying, because we clearly have some pressing needs along the offensive line and at ILB (and to a lesser extent nose tackle.) That being said, we have a history of drafting well both in the first and later rounds. I believe we need to spend our first round pick on an O-lineman, unless Hightower or Poe is available to us when we pick.

I agree that Sanders and Brown are both good options going forward at wideout. I have to think that if we lost Wallace that Cotch would be all for coming back as the third WR, and of course an extra first-round pick would be extremely valuable, especially for a team that has made good on every first-round pick since 2004. But, people need to remember that this league is rapidly evolving into an overwhelmingly pass-first league. Wide receivers are more valuable now than ever, especially one who stretches the field so much to allow the other receivers to run wild underneath. It is my opinion that we need to bring back Wallace at almost any cost.

It is comforting that if we do lose Mike we will cash in on another pick. I'm not sure if another team is going to take the bait, though. Possible scenario. If this does happen, would we consider packaging both of our first round picks to trade up to take Hightower or Poe?

LayingTheWoodley56
03-11-2012, 10:31 PM
We won't get Gaither to play tackle because Colon is expected to return from his injury and play RT, while Gilbert is entrenched at the other tackle spot.

60_MINUTES
03-11-2012, 10:45 PM
We won't get Gaither to play tackle because Colon is expected to return from his injury and play RT, while Gilbert is entrenched at the other tackle spot.

lets hope the steelers dont go into the season with Colon ( coming off two years in a row of season ending injuries ) as the only answer at RT...

I like Colon and think he can be solid but you just cant do into the season and take that chance when the OL has burned us the year before...

pete74
03-12-2012, 04:36 AM
It all depends. I wouldnt pay him 10 million a year. No way. Im praying we resign him for around 7 million

Ricco Suavez
03-12-2012, 06:26 AM
It all depends. I wouldnt pay him 10 million a year. No way. Im praying we resign him for around 7 million

This:applaudit:

60_MINUTES
03-12-2012, 07:06 AM

So you would be on the let him walk and get a draft pick side??? look I would go ahead and take him back at the 7 mil price but.. its not gonna happen.. the guy is gonna get at least 9 and prob more.

3rdandlong
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
I would definitely take the 1st round pick over signing Wallace to a large deal. Like I said in a post a couple of days ago, this team needs to improve in e red zone.

We need to upgrade the offensive line. Years ago we had a better offense without Wallace because we had a dominant offensive line. Sure, Wallace stretches the field but I don't want him to pay what he would command when we can get a 1st round pick and use that money better. We can't keep every player we want, and we already have a very deep receiving corps.

Colbert and the front office hardly ever miss with their 1st round selections. Giving that group another pick excites me more than keeping Wallace

Kingmagyar
03-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Getting a extra first rounder now might be better then losing him anyway after next season for next to nothing but a compensatory pick.

Sanders ability to start all 16 games a season is very tenuous at best. Stress fractures in both feet this early in his career could cut short his career. If he is injured for a period of games you would have Brown and Cotchery. They will need to build that corp up again and get 4-6 deep through the draft as well. this is a great year for receivers in the draft.

Here's hoping New England and San Francisco get a high priced FA WR signed early eliminating them from considering Wallace. Hope Chicago totally bombs out on getting a FA WR to play there and desperate and also thinking there is no guarantee to get Michael Floyd in the draft they give the Steelers their #19 pick. At that position we have a real good shot of being in range of Decastro, Kuechly, or I believe a superior receiver to Wallace, Michael Floyd.

Here's hoping for the #1 pick as long as it's not New England or Baltimore.

pete74
03-12-2012, 11:12 AM
So you would be on the let him walk and get a draft pick side??? look I would go ahead and take him back at the 7 mil price but.. its not gonna happen.. the guy is gonna get at least 9 and prob more.

i would take Wallace over a 1st round pick. yes i would, in a second. i 1st round pick is a gamble. there are not any Andre Johnson's or Megatron's in the draft so say we pick a WR because we will need one, i doubt he will be as good as Wallace. regardless of who we pick its a gamble. wallace is a sure thing and he is still getting better.

with that said i would not pay wallace 10+ million a year. not a chance. if he wants that then i would take the 1st. there are only 3 WR's in the NFL worth 10+ million and Wallace isnt one of them

now say nobody offers wallace a contract and we dont get the 1st round pick for him then what happens next year? we lose him and gain nothing. we have to many other players to sign and will be over the cap once again so we couldnt franchise him

what i really want is to sign Wallace to a long contract for around 7 million a year. if that cant happen because he wants top 5 money then we may as well get something for him while we can

LVSteelersfan
03-12-2012, 12:15 PM
We do not have a deep WR corps with Wallace gone. Where does that come from? If Sanders cannot play (seems to be injury prone) or something happens to Brown that means that Cotchery is the #2 (if he is re-signed). He is ok but then there is no one behind him. Where people come up with this deep WR corps I have no idea. Hopefully Haley will use the TE more. If Heath is kept in as a blocking TE like he has been in the past, then our receiver corps is very thin without Wallace. We would have to spend a draft pick on at least one WR which uses the extra draft pick we would gain. I think he needs to be signed.

pittpete
03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I'd rather we keep Wallace w/o breaking the bank.
Id still rather have Wallace than a late 1st round pick.
Also, no guarantee a Hightower even starts this year based on the past LeBeau history of rookies.
If a team is willing to give him a boatload of $$$$$ and give up a mid to low round 1st for him then at least we tried......
If we lose Wallace for the 30th pick, Id be pissed

stiller39
03-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Make him a fair market offer.... don't give away the farm to sign him. SF, Buffalo, New England will probably throw money at him... let em. A 7-9 million offer with a long term contract with a perrenial winning, class act, franchise is a good deal for him... If he decides its all about the money... see ya later honey.

60_MINUTES
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I would like to have some of the deals you guys are throwing out but thats not on the table... bottom line on this post is simple... would you pay 10 mil and keep wallace or let him walk for the first rounder...

I would give anyting to see someone sign him and us get the draft pick... to the ones saying we cant replace him with another first rounder.... remember he was a third rounder.. so was brown... If we can get another first rounder and pick up another Receiver in the 3rd then Im fine with Brown Sanders Crochery, rookie and Millier going out in routes... We need O line and ILB and NT... the one area we have good talent for sure in is at the WR...

Steel95
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
First of all, besides Blackmon, there really isn't a receiver worth taking in the 1st round of the draft. Yes, teams probably have already become enamored with Stephen Hill's performance at the combine, some1 will bite and select him with their #1 draft choice. Actually, I hope a lot of teams make a dumb choice by selecting WR's in the first round in April. Bottom line is this, based off what most experts have said, WR is the hardest transition from College to the NFL to adapt to.

Second, I try and do everything within reason to resign Mike Wallace. Let me say again, within reason. Trust me on this one, the Steelers will never get into a bidding War with any other team just to resign him. From what I've read thus far, it looks as though the price to keep him will be arounf $6-7M for 5yrs. If Wallace and his agent think they are going to break the bank, see ya! He isn't going to get $9-10M a yr to stay their Pittsburgh.

Yes, Wallace speed was definitely a contributing factor to Brown getting open underneath because Wallace drew double coverage majority of the time. But Brown and Sanders both run better routes, more disciplined, and both have better hands than Mike Wallace. And lets not forget, what is going to happen next yr when Brown and Sanders becomes RFA'S? The WR Corps isn't all that deep in this years draft.

Here's my perception; I think the Steelers are sitting back and hoping that a team bites on Wallace; they will then take that additional 1st round pick and address the DL/OL or ILB/OL or DL/ILB. Take a Guard in the 2nd if they go with DL/ILB in the 1st; address the WR position either through FA and select a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. Of course none of us are experts, we're just loyal Steeler Fans. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

steelerchad
03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm not really hoping someone takes him, but we did the right thing. We covered ourselves well if someone does take him away. It would likely be a late pick. I'd be up for signing someone like Plex for a couple mil for a couple years. He would help in the red zone. Brown and Sanders, with Cotchery and Plex would work for me. I don't really want Hines back, but if we do lose Wallace we could get him back easily for minimum.

pete74
03-12-2012, 06:54 PM
i gurentee you alot of these same people will change there views if we lose Wallace because our passing game will suffer

zcoop
03-12-2012, 07:04 PM
i gurentee you alot of these same people will change there views if we lose Wallace because our passing game will suffer

Damn skippy and then they'll pick another thing or player to pitch a bitch about.

fujirama24
03-12-2012, 07:15 PM
It would be different if we had a probowl Running Back and a solid offensive line. We Don't. Are passing offense is are offense. Without wallace are offense will be marginal at best. Yeah I love brown too. But he isn't wallace. He will be getting double teamed without mike. Sanders has show some flashes but that is it. He reminds me of Willie Reid. Alot of promise but can't stay heathy. If we lose wallace yeah it's not the end of the world. But the offense will suffer. Anyone that doesn't think so is out of there mind. Or just blind.:banging:

Atlanta Dan
03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
The San Francisco 49ers and receiver Randy Moss have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7678886/2012-nfl-free-agency-randy-moss-san-francisco-49ers-agree-one-year-deal-source-says

One less team to chase Wallace

Atlanta Dan
03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Get used to figuring out who to draft with the first round pick from New England

This from Peter King

I think Pittsburgh wide receiver Mike Wallace is one of the best bargains ever in restricted free agency history. Remember this about the Steelers: They've cut to the bone on the cap already. Wallace is down to make $2.74 million on a one-year deal in 2012. And staring the Steelers in the face next season is another restricted free agent the Steelers like very much -- wideout Antonio Brown. Let's say one of the teams low in the first round with some cap flexibility and a receiver need -- San Francisco, New England -- makes Wallace a front-loaded offer with a big 2012 cap number. I could see the Steelers letting Wallace go and taking the first-round pick as compensation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/12/freeagency/3.html

And this from ESPN Grantland

New England Patriots

Top priority: Getting Mike Wallace

Is there a better fit between player and team this offseason than Mike Wallace and the Patriots? New England's passing offense is already very good, sure, but their inability to stretch the field without a healthy Rob Gronkowski cost them in the Super Bowl. Gronkowski's ankle will be fine come 2012, but he only fell to the second round of the 2010 draft because of his injury woes in college, so counting on him to always be healthy is dangerous. Wallace is a vertical threat beyond compare, and at just 25, the Patriots would be getting him for the prime of his career. It would cost a first-round pick, but the Patriots have an extra first-rounder thanks to the Mark Ingram trade with the Saints last year, so that wouldn't be an enormous hindrance. The Patriots would also be taking a key player away from their perennial rivals at the top of the AFC. Honestly, if you're a Patriots fan and you're not picketing on Route 1 for this to happen, you're not doing your job.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/19724/free-agent-countdown-teams-that-should-lay-low

StainlessStill
03-12-2012, 09:15 PM
It'll be the Patriots to make our life a living hell. Still, I believe we can survive without Wallace.

tanda10506
03-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Well the Niners will take a step back this year. A locker room cancer who doesn't have a QB to throw to him anyway, can't see how this makes them better, but I hate the niners anyway so who cares.

ricardisimo
03-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Who says they don't also get Wallace? I believe they have the room.

pete74
03-13-2012, 04:27 AM
i agree. everyone is saying that we will still have great WR's but i dont see it. Sanders is always hurt and hasnt made a full season yet so what happens when he goes down? Ben gets blitzed into next week.

ricardisimo
03-13-2012, 05:13 AM
I would love to keep Walace, but I just don't see it happening. Furthermore, now that Brucie is gone, it might not be an absolute necessity to have five starting-caliber wide receivers. Maybe having Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Heath and Mendy/Redman for Ben to use might just be enough. I can't see why it shouldn't be, especially if we devote some high picks to the offensive line.

Steel Boss
03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
If he gets no offer sheets and is forced to play on a one-year deal for 2.7 million, I just don't see him going for that. The dude seems to be really looking to cash in, but I don't get the sense that the Steelers are that interested in giving him a long-term deal for the kind of money he's chasing. I could easily see him holding out in that situation.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Sure can, but than it just carries over to next year. Than how will it look next year if he turns into someone who doesnt go with the system?

Probably would cost him quite a bit more money to play that game. I don't see a hold out as the problem. If no offers are given to him, his value obvioously dimenshes to a point. but it doesnt go down to 2.7mill, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Moss went for a paycheck.

49ers didnt meet the criteria anyway. Wallace said a top tier QB, not a guy who had 1 good year after how many shitty years? Plus Wallace would never catch a 50 yard bomb as the QB cant throw that far.

Steel Boss
03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that the tender was for 2.7, so if he doesn't get any offer sheets, that would be his salary for the upcoming year, assuming that he and the Steelers don't agree to a long-term deal.

I think if he wanted, he could hold out until week 10 and still get credit for playing the year. Even if he doesn't hold out, they could have a Desean Jackson situation on their hands where you have a malcontent in the locker room.

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I think they changed the rules where a player has to report by week 6 or so or he loses that credited year. Holdouts are very rare in today's game. Mostly they miss training camp because they hate camp. If you've followed the Steelers over the years they absolutely do not negotiate one second if your holding out and they don't negotiate once the regular season starts, so that would get him nowhere except maybe traded like Mike Merriweather. Probably not for a number 1 though.

So it's just better to lose him for a #1 now then go through a probable holdout and probable loss of him in 2013. One thing I would do for sure this summer is sign Antonio Brown long term before he becomes a Restricted free agent next year.

stb_steeler
03-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Well the Niners will take a step back this year. A locker room cancer who doesn't have a QB to throw to him anyway, can't see how this makes them better, but I hate the niners anyway so who cares.

He'll prolly have a year like he did at the Titans....

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
The best year in the history of the league for FA Wide Receivers and they sign Randy Moss.

steelerchad
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
If nobody puts dibs on Wallace, I think he and the Steelers work out a long term deal in the neighborhood of 5 years, $35M

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7681315/new-orleans-saints-keep-wr-marques-colston-5-year-deal

Colston 5 year 40million.

So between Johnson and Colston one would think the area is set. Colston is no slouch, and teams do not seem to be going huge for their #1 WR, huge meaning 9-10million plus, lol.

Wallace can't be expecting to go over that number, and the Steelers can't be expecting to get him for 2.7mill.

Atlanta Dan
03-13-2012, 12:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7681315/new-orleans-saints-keep-wr-marques-colston-5-year-deal

Colston 5 year 40million.

So between Johnson and Colston one would think the area is set. Colston is no slouch, and teams do not seem to be going huge for their #1 WR, huge meaning 9-10million plus, lol.

Wallace can't be expecting to go over that number, and the Steelers can't be expecting to get him for 2.7mill.

Someone always will over pay if they want a player badly enough, although i doubt New England would do so.

Downside to the Colston signing is that is one less free agent WR whom a team might sign over Wallace

IMO Wallace is gone or the Steelers already would have signed him to a long term deal

OX1947
03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
If the Pats wanted a receiver bad, they would go after Vincent Jackson, who would love to play with Brady and keep the 1st rounder. I just do not think anyone is gonna give up big money AND sacrifice their 1st round pick.The other thing though, they are gonna be paying Welker top 5 money, I just can not see the Pats paying two top 5 money for receiver. Maybe if they had let go of Welker yes, but I just can not see them spending almost 16-18 mil on two players playing the same position AND giving up 1st round pick. Now that the Niners got moss, Niners seem to be out. Pats are really the only team that could realistically give up a late first rounder for Wallace. I can not see anyone giving up a 10-20 pick, I just cant see it.

OX1947
03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Someone always will over pay if they want a player badly enough, although i doubt New England would do so.

Downside to the Colston signing is that is one less free agent WR whom a team might sign over Wallace

IMO Wallace is gone or the Steelers already would have signed him to a long term deal

Over paying isn't the issue. If Wallace was unrestricted, I would have gone to Vegas and bet the house he was gone. But he is tendered for a first round pick. That is why I would find it very surprising if he is gone.

TRH
03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
If nobody puts dibs on Wallace, I think he and the Steelers work out a long term deal in the neighborhood of 5 years, $35M

that would sound just about right. And fair, maybe even a little bit of an edge to Wallace.
But...........

The problem is not the players these days, its the *%&# agents. We offer him or get to something like that, the agent will end up being a real huge pain in the *** trying to work up from there, all the while claiming we're "mistreating" Mike, etc, etc, etc. I hope it doesn't come to that, but i've seen it all too often these days.

Fire Arians
03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
If the Pats wanted a receiver bad, they would go after Vincent Jackson, who would love to play with Brady and keep the 1st rounder. I just do not think anyone is gonna give up big money AND sacrifice their 1st round pick.The other thing though, they are gonna be paying Welker top 5 money, I just can not see the Pats paying two top 5 money for receiver. Maybe if they had let go of Welker yes, but I just can not see them spending almost 16-18 mil on two players playing the same position AND giving up 1st round pick. Now that the Niners got moss, Niners seem to be out. Pats are really the only team that could realistically give up a late first rounder for Wallace. I can not see anyone giving up a 10-20 pick, I just cant see it.

its too bad the raiders already gave up theirs, cause they've been known to do stupid things

OX1947
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
its too bad the raiders already gave up theirs, cause they've been known to do stupid things

HAHAHAha, yah, them and the redskins already did something stupid with their Herschel Walker type trade AND screwing up their salary cap by cheating. Cowboys also dumped on themselves for cheating. So all the stupid teams are out of it.

Atlanta Dan
03-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Over paying isn't the issue. If Wallace was unrestricted, I would have gone to Vegas and bet the house he was gone. But he is tendered for a first round pick. That is why I would find it very surprising if he is gone.

FWIW Pete Prisco at CBS Sportsline agrees with you

Want to clean up during free agency? Just follow some simple rules...

Don't: Sign anybody's restricted free agent to an offer sheet and give up a first-round pick.

Why: That means you’re taking Steelers wideout Mike Wallace. It's just not worth it for a variety of reasons. One, you have to pay a huge dollar deal with a lot of guaranteed money to even have a chance to get the player. If you do sign him to a sheet, the team can always match it, which means you essentially wasted time doing their negotiating. And, finally, that draft pick would be cheap labor and younger. Isn't that an advantage teams want?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17755943/want-to-clean-up-during-free-agency-just-follow-some-simple-rules

Given my view of much of what Prisco writes I do not know if his support counts for much:chuckle:

IMO having to sacrifice only a first round pick rather than a first round + a third round pick under the new CBA is designed to get some top flight RFA movemnt to another team - Wallace is the test case for that theory

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 02:42 PM
prisco is one of the worst writers out there (and i rarely say that about any of the national writers).

if that is how he feels i feel even stronger that the patriots are thinking just the opposite.

im not writing off the bungles either. they would essentially be trading carson palmer and his $$$ for mike wallace (w/o having to worry about yet another 1st round draft pick of theirs turning out a bust).

hwy robbery for them.

TRH
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM

+ 1. They just gave Welker HUGE money. I don't see them turning around giving Wallace HUGE money too.
The Patriots....while a good team...have many needs all over the field and just can't spend all their money at WR.

pete74
03-13-2012, 03:14 PM
The bears got Brandin Marshal for two 3rd round picks. Im not sure if someone will give up a first for Wallace

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Trade Marshall to the Bears for 2 #3's

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7682163/2012-nfl-free-agency-miami-dolphins-trade-brandon-marshall-chicago-bears-sources-say

fins are obviously going younger, they wont blow a 1st rd on Wallace and the Bears have their man. To bad they still don't have a QB..

List is getting tighter.

Atlanta Dan
03-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Well the Bears, who were listed among the likely suspects, probably are out of the running for Wallace

The Miami Dolphins have traded receiver Brandon Marshall to the Chicago Bears for two third-round picks, according to league sources.

The sources said Chicago will send its third-round pick in 2012 and 2013 to Miami for the Pro Bowl wideout.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7682163/2012-nfl-free-agency-miami-dolphins-trade-brandon-marshall-chicago-bears-sources-say

Wallace would be an asset to both Cincinnati or New England, both of which can spare the first round pick

As posted above, the question is how much to commit to paying your WR corps (an issue for the Steelers as well with Brown coming up next) :noidea:

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Wallace is nt going to Cincy unless they blow him away money wise.

1) QB is no wheres near ELITE, that was a criteria
2) Team is no wheres near an Elite team and Wallace doesnt really make them that much closer.
3) Sharing the long ball spotlight with Green? Nope, don't see it happening.

money changes everything, but there are 3 legit reasons why he wont go get bungholed.

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Great deal for the Bears, and no #1 lost and they can still take Michael Floyd if they want with the 19th pick.

Steel_Bus_24
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Im still worried about Bengals,Pats,49ers

Steel_Bus_24
03-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Wallace is nt going to Cincy unless they blow him away money wise.

1) QB is no wheres near ELITE, that was a criteria
2) Team is no wheres near an Elite team and Wallace doesnt really make them that much closer.
3) Sharing the long ball spotlight with Green? Nope, don't see it happening.

money changes everything, but there are 3 legit reasons why he wont go get bungholed.

hope your right

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Colston's signing doesn't help the Steelers as much as it helps another team interested in Wallace. I would be upset if the Steelers gave Wallace 8 million per year, but now a team negotiating with him can use the Colston contract as a base in negotiations with him. It doesn't help the Steelers.

I was hoping for Chicago's #1 but why would they give that up when the idiot Dolphins give up Marshall for two 3's. They must be trying to just dump his salary with that move.

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
The bears got Brandin Marshal for two 3rd round picks. Im not sure if someone will give up a first for Wallace

Not with those kind of bargains.

bac151rum
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Im still worried about Bengals,Pats,49ers

49ers signed Randy Moss yesterday. Probably out of the Wallace sweepstakes.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 04:27 PM
49ers signed Randy Moss yesterday. Probably out of the Wallace sweepstakes.an old cancer to a 1 year deal. most certainly not the answer there. more of a back up/insurance policy.

Steel_Bus_24
03-13-2012, 04:59 PM
"Alex Marvez ‏ @alexmarvezSource told @FOXSports.com that #Colts WR Pierre Garcon signed 5-yr, $42.5M contract with #Redskins. Roughly $21.5M guaranteed."

F****ig money bags Snyder trying to drive up the price....stupid motherfather

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 05:19 PM
As posted above, the question is how much to commit to paying your WR corps (an issue for the Steelers as well with Brown coming up next) :noidea:if i had to guess, id say the steelers also have more money tied up in their lb corp than any other team in the league.

anyways the johnson and colson deals are very much the low end of wallace's market value. washington (always known for inflating and paying high end) gave pierre garcon 5 years/42 mil. talentwise, wallace has the potential to be more in the league of johnson, johnson, and fitz as opposed to these guys.

again, it is my opinion even 9 mil/year for him is a bargain.

Bayz101
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
At this rate Wallace is going to want a 5 year 900 million dollar contract :chuckle:

Garcon 42.5 Million over 5 years? Yep, Wallace will be seeking more than that likely, and i'd rather pay the waterboy to take his position.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
good ol snyder signs josh wilson away from the 49ers to stick it to us twice. wilson = 2 yrs/12 mil. wallace is worth alot more now, not only to us but to the 49ers as well.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
dan snyder signed josh wilson away from the 49ers for 6 mil/year. not only does he further drive up wr cost (they are going to throw the bank at eddie royal as well) but san fransisco is definitely back in the WR market.

here is where the fins REALLY help us-

they are going to take their 2 third rounders they acquired from the bears and package it with their own second and third and trade that to the patriots for the 31st pick.

they then will grab wallace for not much more than what they were paying brandon marshall (pairing him with manning and wayne).

heres the kicker... manning and wallace are both the brainchild of bruce arians so it will be like montana and rice reinvented, except with favres arm and rices youth X2 speed.

(dont think its legal, but it sounds good). :chuckle:

3rdandlong
03-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Just heard on NFL.com that the Dolphins have traded Brandon Marshall to the Bears. It got me thinking. This doesn't make sense if they're trying to entice Peyton Manning to Miami. If they're going to go after Peyton, they'll probably want to give him a serious deep threat like a Mike Wallace. So what are the chances they actually give us the number eight pick for Wallace in an effort to woo Peyton?

zshelhamer
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
If they sign Peyton, they are going to sign Reggie Wayne. No chance Wallace goes to Miami.

pete74
03-13-2012, 06:48 PM
no way. they only got two 3rd rounders for BM so no way they would give up the number 8 pick for Wallace.

ricardisimo
03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
I get the impression that was a bit of a fire sale, or maybe something like our deal for Santonio. :noidea:

steeltheone
03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Difference is, they wanted rid of Marshall in a hurry because Manning was not a fan. Puts them back in the sweepstakes.

zcoop
03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Stupid move by the doplhins, they get jack shit from the trade talent wise. But they do get to unload some of the money against their cap.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
i already posted how they are going to land wallace-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87706

here is where the fins REALLY help us-

they are going to take their 2 third rounders they acquired from the bears and package it with their own second and third and trade that to the patriots for the 31st pick.

they then will grab wallace for not much more than what they were paying brandon marshall (pairing him with manning and wayne).

heres the kicker... manning and wallace are both the brainchild of bruce arians so it will be like montana and rice reinvented, except with favres arm and rices youth X2 speed.

zcoop
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
that would sound just about right. And fair, maybe even a little bit of an edge to Wallace.
But...........

The problem is not the players these days, its the *%&# agents. We offer him or get to something like that, the agent will end up being a real huge pain in the *** trying to work up from there, all the while claiming we're "mistreating" Mike, etc, etc, etc. I hope it doesn't come to that, but i've seen it all too often these days.

That would be low for Mike given his numbers. Hell Heath Miller signed a six year 35.3 mil contract in 2009. I would think that a top notch WR would get more mulah that a TE. If we play it straight with the guy, I think he stays because he really wants to stay in the burgh.

55BaileyFan
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
no way. they only got two 3rd rounders for BM so no way they would give up the number 8 pick for Wallace.

My thoughts exactly. They are not going to "waste" (if you wanna call it that) an 8th pick for him.

I initially thought that either San Fran; Baltimore or NE would jump on #17. But with the 49ers getting Moss and the Ravens struggling to re-sign Rice and Flacco...we might just squeak out and keep Wallace.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
My thoughts exactly. They are not going to "waste" (if you wanna call it that) an 8th pick for him.

I initially thought that either San Fran; Baltimore or NE would jump on #17. But with the 49ers getting Moss and the Ravens struggling to re-sign Rice and Flacco...we might just squeak out and keep Wallace.dont write of the 49ers just yet. while it is a long shot moss' deal isnt even guaranteed. he's playing for a week to week paycheck and they just lost who was possibly their best wr (josh wilson) to the redskins in free agency.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 09:23 PM
zero, less than zero. But even I would take a #8 pick. lol That pick could be parlayed into everything we need in one draft. but it wont happen

They are not a WR or QB away from a contender. They have much more needs.

Pentheon
03-13-2012, 09:26 PM
If they sign Peyton, they are going to sign Reggie Wayne. No chance Wallace goes to Miami.

I thought the same thing, but looks like reggie is staying in indy for another 3 years

TRH
03-13-2012, 09:56 PM
they can't sign anybody in advance of Peyton signing a deal and its looking like Tennessee is moving to the front of the pack and may actually land him.

MasterOfPuppets
03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
i already posted how they are going to land wallace-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87706
i may be wrong, but i bet somewhere in the fine print it would say you have to use your original draft pick..... :noidea:

otherwise the bears (or anyone else ) coulda traded back ,scored a few 2nd and 3rds picks plus wallace for nothing but a late 1st....

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
i may be wrong, but i bet somewhere in the fine print it would say you have to use your original draft pick..... :noidea:

otherwise the bears (or anyone else ) coulda traded back ,scored a few 2nd and 3rds picks plus wallace for nothing but a late 1st....shhhh....

im trying to see how many i can send into panic mode.

what im not sure about is if the dolphins and patriots swapped this years original 1st round picks (31 for 8- not straight up, of course).

Curtain_of_Steel
03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82794caa/article/vincent-jackson-signs-fiveyear-deal-with-buccaneers?module=HP11_headline_stack

Doesnt take long for stupid to rear its ugly head in FA, lol

Wallace sits back and says, "what about me?" lol

11mil per. ouch

MasterOfPuppets
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
shhhh....

im trying to see how many i can send into panic mode.

what im not sure about is if the dolphins and patriots swapped this years original 1st round picks (31 for 8- not straight up, of course).
http://thisiswhyitsucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mackey.gif

LayingTheWoodley56
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
0 percent chance. It'd be senseless to trade a top-10 wideout for pennies and then sign another good one whose going to command a similarly hefty contract. Their move today trading Marshall says to me that they don't think they have a chance to get Manning and their going to try to rebuild. Just 2 third-round picks does seem a little light, however, which points to a desire on their part to move him, perhaps based on his character issues (like when we gave up Santonio for a fifth-rounder).

OX1947
03-13-2012, 11:17 PM
He is not getting 11 million per year. He is only guaranteed 26 million. I wish the NFL would just put the money guaranteed instead of the number that will never be fulfilled. It is a 5 year 26 million dollar contract. That's 5.1 million guaranteed a year. The Steelers could pay Wallace that in a heart beat.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
whats stupid about market value? ive been saying this all along. the market will bear itself out in regards to wallace.

if he were a free agent today he woulda been the 1st wr signed.... by the redskins... for atleast 12 mil/year.

mid tier and old receivers ranked 20-30 are getting 6 mil/year.

and steelerfans think we're gonna lock wallace up long term for $7 mil per? :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2012, 11:35 PM
He is not getting 11 million per year. He is only guaranteed 26 million. I wish the NFL would just put the money guaranteed instead of the number that will never be fulfilled. It is a 5 year 26 million dollar contract. That's 5.1 million guaranteed a year. The Steelers could pay Wallace that in a heart beat.

Yes, but you can't take the guaranteed money and just apply it over the 5 years of the contract and say that is what he only gets.

If he isn't released in 5 years, he will get all the money. If he stays 2 years, he makes more than the guaranteed amount.

Like it or not. The market is now over $10 million a yr for Wallace.

OX1947
03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, but you can't take the guaranteed money and just apply it over the 5 years of the contract and say that is what he only gets.

If he isn't released in 5 years, he will get all the money. If he stays 2 years, he makes more than the guaranteed amount.

Like it or not. The market is now over $10 million a yr for Wallace.

Man, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their prime are the only receivers I would pay 10 mil per for. Other then those two, I would tell all the recievers to take a hike. Wallace is worth 6 million per, thats it.

And Jax will not last 5 years. He will be in Tampa for 3 years, tops.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
the nfl did put it out via adam schefter who broke the specifics of deal within minutes on twitter.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefterReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Vincent Jackson deal in Tampa: 5 yrs, $55.55 million, including $26 million guaranteed, $36 million in 1st 3 yrs, $26 million in 1st 2 yrs.

he gets a base salary of 11mil this year w/ a 2mil roster bonus guaranteed. in 2013, his base salary is a guaranteed 13mil. after that none is guranteed and the bucs are free to dump him with no cap implications for the remainder of the 5 year deal.

pretty much a good deal for both sides because the bucs have the cap space to pay him above market value and minimize their risk for the final 3 years of the deal. it is essentially a 2 year deal with options....

OX1947
03-13-2012, 11:53 PM
No one is getting Wallace. No one is sacrificing a 1st round pick AND over paying for a receiver. Patriots would be the only realistic team that could do it, but I don't see them doing it.

OX1947
03-13-2012, 11:54 PM
the nfl did put it out via adam schefter who broke the specifics of deal within minutes on twitter.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefterReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Vincent Jackson deal in Tampa: 5 yrs, $55.55 million, including $26 million guaranteed, $36 million in 1st 3 yrs, $26 million in 1st 2 yrs.

he gets a base salary of 11mil this year w/ a 2mil roster bonus guaranteed. in 2013, his base salary is a guaranteed 13mil. after that none is guranteed and the bucs are free to dump him with no cap implications for the remainder of the 5 year deal.

pretty much a good deal for both sides because the bucs have the cap space to pay him above market value and minimize their risk for the final 3 years of the deal. it is essentially a 2 year deal with options....

He won't see that 3rd year. They will cut him or restructure.

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Man, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in their prime are the only receivers I would pay 10 mil per for. Other then those two, I would tell all the recievers to take a hike. Wallace is worth 6 million per, thats it.

as ive stated before, if you do the research and look at the numbers and production of nfl wr's in their 1st three years, mike wallace (who will be in his prime for the duration of his big contract) is the closest to randy moss and jerry rice.

in other words no wr in recent memory has had a better start to their career besides randy moss and jerry rice.

in other words, mike wallace is on a historical pace that even surpasses what larry johnson and larry fitz did in their 1st 3 years.

in other words, mike wallaces play has already established his market value whether you think he is only worth 6 mil or not.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 12:00 AM
He won't see that 3rd year. They will cut him or restructure.or he will continue his current production and the market value will pass him by when the salary cap hits $150 mil/year and he will threaten to hold out w/o an extension...

everyone can prognosticate.

he's already been franchise tagged twice by the chargers, right?

i dont think he's sweating it too much.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 12:07 AM
No one is getting Wallace. No one is sacrificing a 1st round pick AND over paying for a receiver. Patriots would be the only realistic team that could do it, but I don't see them doing it.

Miami did EXACTLY that when they spent a top 10 draft pick on ted ginn jr.

infact every team that has spent a top ten draft pick on a wr before the rookie salary cap did exactly that. take a look at d. heyward bey or m. crabtree.

they do it with qb's and other positions as well. have you taken a look at sam bradfords contract lately?

if someone wants him they will get him.

its kinda the same with p. manning. when all is said and done, im sure tons of people will be saying no injured qb coming off 4 neck surgeries is worth that.

ultimately they are worth whatever they can get. thats just the system. fans cant buck it.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Bill Johnston‏@ChargersPRguy

Chargers agree on 4-yr contract with former Saints WR Robert Meachem. 1st rd choice in 07...6-2, 210...40-620, 6TDs, 15.5 avg in '11.

Michael Gehlken‏@UTgehlkenReply

Four-year deal for Robert Meachem worth $25.9 million. $14 million fully guaranteed.

do people really believe that wallace isnt worth more than 6mil/year? :screwy:

Sean95m
03-14-2012, 12:35 AM
As Mike Tomlin stated "one trick pony" plus he is soft over the middle and drops too many balls to be compared to Rice. I'll take the 2nd first round pick and address O & D line in the first round. I think we have a replacement for Farrior in Sylvester, the guy can hit shit!

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 12:42 AM
As Mike Tomlin stated "one trick pony" plus he is soft over the middle and drops too many balls to be compared to Rice.!

nobody is comparing him to jerry rice. if you read correctly you will see that it was stated that only 2 modern era players have surpassed mike wallace's production in their first 3 years.

thats a funny quote by mike tomlin. another relatively famous coach named buddy ryan had a similar quote about a wr who is now a regular finalist in the HOF balloting named chris carter.

"all he does is catch touchdowns"

Bayz101
03-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Mike Wallace is certainly worth more than six million a year, but ten? I don't know.

I'd give him 5 years, 42.5 million. That's 8.5 million a year. Thoughts?

Bayz101
03-14-2012, 01:03 AM
45 million over 5 years is probably more accurate, to be honest.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 01:31 AM
45 million over 5 years is probably more accurate, to be honest.

thoughts?

if i were his agent i would :rofl:

thats barely an OK deal today. within 2 years my client would blow it out of the water. put him with an accurate qb (who doesnt get sacked or fumble every sixth dropback) like brady or manning, and he would be blowing records out of the water as well.

i posted my thoughts in a seperate thread (the 2nd thread ive started explaining his true value)-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=87715

i absolutely HATE holdouts, but if my client were wallace and forced to accept $2.7 mil for a year, i would probably have to advise it.

if the steelers can land him for anything less than $12 mil/year for 5 years they are absolutely brilliant (they do have about $7 mil worth of leverage if the pats or bungs are stubborn enough to not give up their 1st).

Bayz101
03-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Wow. Receivers really are making out like bandits nowadays...

12 million a year? Shit. That's a lot of damn money to earn because of your speed. I think i'm going to go lose some weight and do some conditioning. **** 14 bucks an hour loading ice trucks :chuckle:

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2012, 03:33 AM
http://gifsoup.com/view5/3511790/joker-throws-money-o.gif

This makes me sick:doh:

Rick5895
03-14-2012, 03:40 AM
0 percent chance. It'd be senseless to trade a top-10 wideout for pennies and then sign another good one whose going to command a similarly hefty contract. Their move today trading Marshall says to me that they don't think they have a chance to get Manning and their going to try to rebuild. Just 2 third-round picks does seem a little light, however, which points to a desire on their part to move him, perhaps based on his character issues (like when we gave up Santonio for a fifth-rounder).

Marshall was moved because he has become a headache for Miami. It's reported that Marshall was in a bar fight and punched a woman 2 days before he was traded. There has always been character issues associated with Marshall and they traded him out of conference where he will not hurt the Dolphins in the future. I still don't see them going after Wallace though, I think giving up the #8 pick would be to expensive, but who knows.

steeltheone
03-14-2012, 04:57 AM
If Miami signs Flynn or Manning a wideout is priority number 1....

steeltheone
03-14-2012, 04:58 AM
We also must remember, Miami's new top brass want to win NOW....

pete74
03-14-2012, 06:11 AM
No way Manning signs with Miami now that Marshall is gone. He woyld nevee pick a team without good WR's. Bess is good but he isnt enough

pete74
03-14-2012, 06:32 AM
If we have to lose Wallace i would feel a little better if we used one of our first round picks on Coby Fleener. I know most of you will say we dont need a TE but i say we could definatly use him to fill a void if Wallace is lost. He is 6'6" 245lbs and reminds me of Gronkowski. I think we would have a deadly offense if we had Fleener and Miller and tossed 150+ balls to our TE's this season

mesaSteeler
03-14-2012, 07:23 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Market for Wallace being set

There as a flurry on wide receivers getting new contracts on Tuesday as the free agent period began in the NFL.

But none of the receivers signing deals was named Mike Wallace.

That doesn't mean, however, that it wasn't a big day for Wallace, as the market was set for a receiver of his skills.

Let's take a look at some of the deals that were completed.

Vincent Jackson, who is one strike short of getting a year's suspension, signed a five-year $55 million contract with Tampa Bay.

Washington went crazy - there's a shock - and gave Pierre Garçon $42.5 million for five years and Josh Morgan essentially $6 million per year.

Robert Meachem(!) got $25.9 million for four years from San Diego to replace Jackson.

And just before the free agency period began, New Orleans re-signed Marques Colston to a five-year, $40-million deal.

That's some crazy money being thrown around for a group of receivers, many of whom aren't in Wallace's class.

So what will this mean for the Steelers?

That $9.4 million figure it would have cost them to place the franchise tag on Wallace might have been a bargain.

Then again, with so many teams dipping their toes into the receiver waters, there aren't a lot of teams out there still looking for receivers.

And, as I've said all along, it's one thing to sign a receiver to a big deal. It's another to do so AND give up a first-round pick, which is what a team would have to do to pry Wallace away from the Steelers.

The question is, however, can the Steelers afford to sign Wallace to a long-term deal?

The answer, at least right now, is no. But the salary cap will be increasing in 2013, which is good news considering Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are going to reach their restricted free agent year following the 2012 season.

kan_t
03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Then again, with so many teams dipping their toes into the receiver waters, there aren't a lot of teams out there still looking for receivers.

And, as I've said all along, it's one thing to sign a receiver to a big deal. It's another to do so AND give up a first-round pick, which is what a team would have to do to pry Wallace away from the Steelers..

So... it means his market hasn't been set.

TRH
03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
it was a big day of "overpayment". Washington in particular is just plain foolish, i don't know if i've ever seen a professional team run so poorly. They shouldn't be "setting" any market for anybody.
It appears as teams didn't want to give up that 1st rounder as Wallace has been pretty much completely ignored thus far.

TRH
03-14-2012, 07:42 AM

well, teams are certainly overpaying for receivers right now, its completely ridiculous, but that 1st round draft pick appears to be scaring off teams, as everyone and their brother was signing for big money yesterday and Wallace was left just sitting there with nothing (so far)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Bill Johnston‏@ChargersPRguy

Chargers agree on 4-yr contract with former Saints WR Robert Meachem. 1st rd choice in 07...6-2, 210...40-620, 6TDs, 15.5 avg in '11.

Michael Gehlken‏@UTgehlkenReply

Four-year deal for Robert Meachem worth $25.9 million. $14 million fully guaranteed.

do people really believe that wallace isnt worth more than 6mil/year? :screwy:

Didn't Pierre Garçon get 8 mil a yr contract?

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
it was a big day of "overpayment". Washington in particular is just plain foolish, i don't know if i've ever seen a professional team run so poorly. They shouldn't be "setting" any market for anybody.
It appears as teams didn't want to give up that 1st rounder as Wallace has been pretty much completely ignored thus far.

There is no rush to bid for a RFA unlike signing an unrestricted FA - now that the (inflated) market rate has been set Wallace and potential bidders (pretty much down to the 49ers now that they lost a receiver and Patriots - i cannot imagine Mike Brown will pay those prices to bring Walace to the Bengals) see what a long term deal is worth.

Steelers will not be able to match what Wallace will take as a long term deal this year - the question is whether paying that amount of $$ and a first round pick for what it will cost to sign Wallace is worth it.

Kingmagyar
03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Just like the shark in Jaws. The New England Patriots are waiting very quietly with no news of visits by Brandon Lloyd or anyone else.

http://favim.com/orig/201105/19/bampw-behind-the-scenes-black-and-white-jaws-shark-steven-spielberg-Favim.com-49410.jpg

What are they up to?

Kingmagyar
03-14-2012, 08:48 AM
I believe Wallace talks start at 10 mil per year period. And we know the Steelers aren't going anywhere near that, so say goodbye to Mike Wallace if not this year then next year for sure. If Santonio Holmes makes 10 mil per then Wallace is going to want at least that. Santonio still hasn't made a probowl.

Kingmagyar
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM

I assure you when Vincent Jackson's playing careeer is over he will not have averaged 5.5 mil per year.

Bus Cook's phone message in regards to Mike Wallace.
Want to talk contract with Mike Wallace? Don't even bother us if your not willing to start at 10 mil per year.

DanRooney
03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
As Mike Tomlin stated "one trick pony" plus he is soft over the middle and drops too many balls to be compared to Rice. I'll take the 2nd first round pick and address O & D line in the first round. I think we have a replacement for Farrior in Sylvester, the guy can hit shit!

He doesn't drop many passes at all. I think most Steeler fans have short term memory.

Kingmagyar
03-14-2012, 09:14 AM
He doesn't drop many passes at all. I think most Steeler fans have short term memory.

I don't remember many drops from Mike Wallace at all . In fact the only one I can recall is the drop in the super bowl on 4th down that ended the game. He really doesn't drop many.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Didn't Pierre Garçon get 8 mil a yr contract?yep and meachem, reggie wayne, and SF josh wilson are all new signees of the 6 million $$$ club.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 09:28 AM
i believe in the shark theory. some people say the patriots would NEVER give up a first AND pay 2 wr's top money. but then again, people were certain the patriots would bring in brandon lloyd by now. if nothing else, the patriots are gonna make wallace an offer to atleast force us to match and strap us with the cap hit. we arent getting wallace for 2.7 mil this year. aint gonna happen.

unfortunately (fortunately for us, i guess if we wanna keep wallace for another year) teams only seem to go stupid when trading for other teams.

seattle gave up a first for deion branch. cowboys gave up 2 firsts for joey galloway. cowboys also gave up a ransom for joey galloway. tampa bay gave up 2 firsts for keyshawn johnson.

we practically had to give away sb mvp santonio holmes (who we traded a significant amount to move up in the draft to get) and it appears we cant even get teams to sniff wallace.

people even laughed at the patriots trading a 2nd round pick for wes welker and now they look golden. then again, the patriots can do no wrong and can pretty much trade any player they want for what ever ransom they want.

OX1947
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Big money AND a first round pick. Ill believe it when I see it.

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
We have a new definition for the top end of the market

The Detroit Lions signed star receiver Calvin Johnson to a seven-year extension Wednesday, the team announced on its Twitter account.

An NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the contract is worth $132 million and includes $60 million guaranteed. Johnson's contract is the richest deal ever for an NFL wide receiver, exceeding the $120 million deal Larry Fitzgerald signed with the Arizona Cardinals last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7685419/calvin-johnson-signs-7-year-extension-detroit-lions

I cannot guess what the market rate will be ($35 million per?) when the next round of contracts for franchise level QBs are negotiated

jjpro11
03-14-2012, 11:12 AM
I don't remember many drops from Mike Wallace at all . In fact the only one I can recall is the drop in the super bowl on 4th down that ended the game. He really doesn't drop many.

that was also a high throw and the defender got his hand on the ball. Steelers fans all want to believe Wallace sucks because he dropped the long ball in Denver. because of that one drop, we won't miss his 1193 yds and ability to take the top off of defenses.

kan_t
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
that was also a high throw and the defender got his hand on the ball. Steelers fans all want to believe Wallace sucks because he dropped the long ball in Denver. because of that one drop, we won't miss his 1193 yds and ability to take the top off of defenses.
Actually I think lots of Steelers fans want to believe Wallace sucks because the Steelers may not be able to afford him.

TRH
03-14-2012, 11:50 AM
omg. These teams are killing themselves by throwing around that much money. Next thing the RB's, the LB's, hell, everybody is going to want that same money. Before you know it, it will be teams with 2 or 3 stars and a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I would agree, the money is climbing AND now a 1st rd pick? Its getting very costly for teams now for Wallace.

There are some speedy WR's out there in the draft, if I recall 3 or 4. Cost 1-2million to groom no 1st rd pick. Vs paying a 1st and big money? I dont see it happening. I bet they have made calls into Wallace, but he is not getting 9-11million.

A lot of teams put themselves in the right positions this year, they can front load pay less later and than when the cap climbs in 2013 and 2014 they get back the money to spend huge again.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Well if they cant afford Wallace this year, they won't afford Brown next year. So perhaps we ditch the QB bring him some fat FB's and just pound the ball. lol
Of course we won't run to far because they will be caught in the backfield quite a bit due to our Oline being overpaid and underperforming.

So maybe we sign a really good punter and hopefully our Def can just stop everyone get turnovers and score themselves. Of course we didn't do that last year, so under this scenario we will just get shut out a lot. But we wont overpay or now pay a WR market value just because the Steeler never over pay or not pay a high price for a wr, just because.
Not to mention we are a run first team... Well at least we will get a high 1st rounder next year, lol.

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Wallace is speed only. He cannot outjump or outwrestle CBs for the ball like Calvin Johnson and Vincent Jackson. Sorry, but he does not belong in the same conversation with those two. Garcon was totally overpaid by that idiot Snyder but what else is new. How can they afford to pay that kind of money when they had so much money stripped from their salary cap? I don't get it.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
So every WR that gets signed you will have an asterisk as to why they got overpaid?

Can't teach speed as they say!

60_MINUTES
03-14-2012, 03:42 PM

And Jax will not last 5 years. He will be in Tampa for 3 years, tops.

Ward made over 6 mil a year and that was 5 years ago... look I dont like it anymore then you do... and just like hockey.. i think the bottom will fall out of it sooner or later...they will out price the middle class in the next 10 years and things will change.. but as far as market value goes at this time... Tony and some of the others are correct.. Wallace is a 25 year old kid that looks like he would be a number one receiver for most teams... Number one receivers are getting paid at least 10 mil... while the best WR in the game is making 15 mil ( Larry Fitzgerald )... Bottom line we would have to pay Wallace 10 mil to keep him... with Brown coming up next year I say please someone step in and take him so we can get our number one pick... I dont think we need him for that kind of money... I guess what Im really saying is Id rather have Brown

also Calvin Johnson 15 mil man...sorry forgot him... but anyway all other number one kind of guys are 10 mil players now days

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
desean jackson signs new deal with eagles-

@JasonLaCanfora

DeSean gets $48.5M for the 5 year deal with the Eagles

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Well if they cant afford Wallace this year, they won't afford Brown next year. So perhaps we ditch the QB bring him some fat FB's and just pound the ball. lol
Of course we won't run to far because they will be caught in the backfield quite a bit due to our Oline being overpaid and underperforming.

So maybe we sign a really good punter and hopefully our Def can just stop everyone get turnovers and score themselves. Of course we didn't do that last year, so under this scenario we will just get shut out a lot. But we wont overpay or now pay a WR market value just because the Steeler never over pay or not pay a high price for a wr, just because.
Not to mention we are a run first team... Well at least we will get a high 1st rounder next year, lol.

QFT....The FO is eventually going to have to pony up......

Thinking you can go an get above average/Top Ten WRs late in the draft every couple of years is asinine

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Wallace is speed only. He cannot outjump or outwrestle CBs for the ball like Calvin Johnson and Vincent Jackson. Sorry, but he does not belong in the same conversation with those two. .

youre kidding right? jackson is a ****ing headcase, i strike away from a 1 year suspension just like santonio holmes.

who the hell needs to outjump and outwrestle scrub defenders when they are gonna shatter the record for 40+ yd td's in nfl history?

laughable.

StainlessStill
03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
who the hell needs to outjump and outwrestle scrub defenders when they are gonna shatter the record for 40+ yd td's in nfl history?

laughable.

A.J Green defiantly can. WTF was Troy and Clark doing on that deep ball in Cincy last season? Also, I still think it's alarming that Wallace completely fell off the face of the Earth once the deep-ball was takin' away from us. If Wallace doesn't entertain himself to work on his overall game (even his bubble screens lacked effort) then he'll end up like Lee Evans.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Troy and Clark WATCHED the play. It didnt take talent to let Green catch that ball. It took stupidy. Those 2 mastered that on that play.

Based on the current deals, the Bucs didnt go to stupid anymore, LOL I think I stand corrected. Now if they only had a QB who doesn't choke on the ball ala Flacco or Sanchez.

Honestly whats apost without sliding in that pos Flacco into it, lol

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
A.J Green defiantly can. WTF was Troy and Clark doing on that deep ball in Cincy last season? Also, I still think it's alarming that Wallace completely fell off the face of the Earth once the deep-ball was takin' away from us. If Wallace doesn't entertain himself to work on his overall game (even his bubble screens lacked effort) then he'll end up like Lee Evans.not exactly scrubs.

2 things about wallace last season- ben was injured and wallace was being used as a decoy.

1. because arians thought he was clever enough to trick the opposition using that strategy (brown certainly made the most of it).

2. to deflate wallaces value going into this off season (yet to be seen if it has worked).

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Well like Troy and Clark, Arians was stupid too, lol

PhantomJB93
03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think nobody is gonna take Wallace from us, at least this offseason. Teams had WEEKS to prepare for this and would have at least had some kind of deal outlined or something before free agency started. I think if anybody was gonna make an offer, they would have done so already.

The fact that Brandon Marshall was just traded for third round picks (as opposed to a first) and the market value for Wallace is only going up with all these receiver contracts doesn't help his case in the eyes of other teams, either.

Let's just hope we can actually sign him to a deal before he becomes a UFA next offseason and we don't even get the pick compensation.

StainlessStill
03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
not exactly scrubs.

2 things about wallace last season- ben was injured and wallace was being used as a decoy.

1. because arians thought he was clever enough to trick the opposition using that strategy (brown certainly made the most of it).

2. to deflate wallaces value going into this off season (yet to be seen if it has worked).

If anything, it was retarded to use Wallace as a decoy. I've seen a TON of deep balls being forced to Mike Wallace at the end of the season just for the sake of going deep and not understanding the injury to our Q.B. That injury didn't stop us from missing out on several deep balls, some that didn't even make sense because Arian's was stubborn enough to never, ever change our gameplan.

To some degree, Brown's emergence defiantly was helped by the double-teaming of Mike Wallace. But during the end of the season, I believe Brown worked his collective ASS off and become an all-around threat, something Wallace couldn't do when teams were going to take away his strength. Wallace is simply limited without his go-routes and I believe Brown has what it takes within' his ability to really rattle teams from an overall standpoint because Wallace showed he couldn't adjust to his route running OR short game when Ben was hobbled and when he was without his deep ball, security blanket.

For Arians to "pull-back" on what is believed to be our #1 wide receiver and the most prolific threat in our offense would be retarded. If anything, you want your biggest threat on the outsides to DOUBLE in reps because that gives our team the best chance to win. Unfortunately, I don't think Wallace is there yet from being an overall wide receiver, hence, the emergence and "TEAM MVP" of Antonio Brown doing the dirty work.

Now, I think it'll be the other way around. Brown's role in the offense to be more of an overall threat at any position on the football field will open the deep ball for Wallace.

Lord of Lombardi
03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
At this rate Wallace is going to want a 5 year 900 million dollar contract :chuckle:

Garcon 42.5 Million over 5 years? Yep, Wallace will be seeking more than that likely, and i'd rather pay the waterboy to take his position.

Garcon is over-rated and has hands of Sweed or he'd be awesome and worth it.

Fire Arians
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
yeah i agree. it's not just a money issue to teams wanting to take him. it's the money AND a first round pick. unless it's fitzgerald or someone along those lines, nobody's gonna pull the trigger. wallace is staying.

TRH
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
there's not been a peep about Wallace, either from any other teams or our own (as far as where we might be in the process..). What the heck is going on?

It's literally making me sick to my stomach seeing what teams are throwing around at WR's this year. As said by someone on the NFL network...what they don't realize is that now they're driving the price up on almost all positions...as agents will break down WR deals and compare analyzed numbers with a QB's worth to a team (or any other position).

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 05:43 PM
teams will not jump on wallace. they dont need to because not only do they have to shell out $$$$ they have to give up compensation as well. they can wait for the dust to settle.

plus if they put out 2 offers to say brandon lloyd AND wallace, steelers have 7 days to match. what happens if the steelers dont match and the said team is stuck with 2 wr's it may not be able to afford?.

all big name FA's will be gone and thats when teams with lower round 1sts will make a play if they want a big name WR.

anyone notice that the 3 teams widely speculated to go after him, havent made any play for any of the high dollar ones?

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
anyone notice that the 3 teams widely speculated to go after him, havent made any play for any of the high dollar ones?

San Francisco may be shopping for something on a lower shelf (although ask yourself if second half of the 2011 season Wallace would make the catch this guy made in the Super Bowl)

It was widely believed that the Redskins would target Giants receiver Mario Manningham once free agency opened.

They didn’t.

And so, with the Redskins signing (for now) Josh Morgan and Pierre Garçon, Manningham had to look elsewhere.

The tour begins in the place where the Giants won the 2011 NFC title. Per a league source, Manningham will visit the 49ers on Thursday.

On Monday, the Niners added Randy Moss. They also could be bringing back Brandon Lloyd.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/the-mario-manningham-tour-begins-in-san-francisco/

As for the Bengals

After shocking everyone by making a run to the playoffs last year, things suddenly look promising in Cincinnati for the Bengals. With the Ravens and Steelers getting a bit long in the tooth on defense and the mandatory spending floor coming into effect next season, 2012 might be a good time for the Bengals to press the issue and spend heavily in free agency as part of an attempt to claim the AFC North. And unlike some of our other teams on the spend-heavily list, the Bengals have a pretty simple shopping list:

1. A starting running back
2. A complementary wide receiver to play across from A.J. Green
3. A starting safety to replace Reggie Nelson...

The wide receiver problem is the easiest of the three, since just about any ambulatory NFL wideout could play across from A.J. Green and look good.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/20119/free-agent-countdown-teams-that-should-empty-their-wallets

So the Bengals might not be interested in paying for prime rib when hamburger might fit their needs

IMO there is one likely suspect to go after Wallace - the only question is whether the Patriots will pay what Wallace wants given how the price point for receivers has shifted over the last several days

Curtain_of_Steel
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Robinson just landed 32.5mill over 5 years, 17million guarrantteed.

Not a bad wr.Not sure how he will do when he has no QB tossing the rock at him in JAX.

Steel_Bus_24
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Market for Wallace being set

a visual aid for everybody....

http://gifsoup.com/view5/3511790/joker-throws-money-o.gif

6RingsAndCounting
03-14-2012, 06:29 PM
If people want to overpay, so be it.. There is a reason that the teams that are jacking up the prices on Wide Receivers suck every year.

StainlessStill
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I think it's funny that teams are willing to throw all this guaranteed money and these lucrative contacts to offense's and losing sight of defensive football. This is why the Steelers will prevail. We'll have the #1 defense next season with a healthy Harrison, Woodley and Polamalu being our staple. Can't wait to see the production of Heyward and Hood's development as well. Hopefully, Timmons finally breaks out and Foote can groom our drafted MLB come April.

pete74
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think nobody is gonna take Wallace from us, at least this offseason. Teams had WEEKS to prepare for this and would have at least had some kind of deal outlined or something before free agency started. I think if anybody was gonna make an offer, they would have done so already.

The fact that Brandon Marshall was just traded for third round picks (as opposed to a first) and the market value for Wallace is only going up with all these receiver contracts doesn't help his case in the eyes of other teams, either.

Let's just hope we can actually sign him to a deal before he becomes a UFA next offseason and we don't even get the pick compensation.

let me start by saying i hope we sign Wallace but if we cant i hope someone will take him and give us a 1st rounder. i dont want him to play one year then walk next season and we get no comp at all.

DanRooney
03-14-2012, 06:51 PM
I think you mean Fins are going retarded.

LVSteelersfan
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
youre kidding right? jackson is a ****ing headcase, i strike away from a 1 year suspension just like santonio holmes.

laughable.

Heck no I am not kidding. Skill wise Jackson and Johnson are head and shoulders above Wallace any day of the week. And so are a handful of other receivers around the league. As stated, Wallace is USELESS in the red zone. He gets pushed out of the play before he even gets started. I love his speed but it is not the be all, end all that makes an all around receiver. You can talk about Jackson being a head case but he is much better than Wallace at running routes and is deadly in the red zone. Wallace is not worth 10 million a year by any stretch.

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Wallace is not worth 10 million a year by any stretch.sure he is. and he will get it. if not this year then next when he hits free agency.

you will see. and i will be here cooking up a big enough pot of crow to go around. :drink:

mesaSteeler
03-14-2012, 11:04 PM
| More
The Steel Mill
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/03/14/good-news-bad-news-about-wallace/

Good news, bad news about Wallace
March 14th, 2012

If you are a Steelers fan, the first day of free agency was good … no, make that great.

Six teams signed free agent receivers with another signing the night before.

And no, not one of them was named Mike Wallace.

Wallace is a restricted free agent and popular belief had a half dozen teams beating down agent Bus Cook’s door at 4:01 p.m. Tuesday to beg for Wallace’s services.

It didn’t happen, and it is almost assured (not guaranteed) that Wallace will not receive a qualifying offer on the restricted free agent market.

A first-round pick to go along with a hefty front-loaded contract is just too expensive even for a team with a lot of cap space.

Wallace will have no choice but to sign the first-round tender the Steelers offered him and play for $2.742 million this year.

But, of course, there is also bad news.

Although Wallace will likely be a Steeler this year, after that has become very cloudy, especially after what transpired on the first day of free agency.

* Vincent Jackson, 29, signed a 5-year, $55.5 million deal ($26 million guaranteed)

* Pierre Garcon, 25, signed a 5-year, $42.5 million deal ($21.5 million guaranteed)

* Marques Colston, 28, signed a 5-year, $40 million deal ($19 million guaranteed)

* Robert Meachem, 27, signed a 4-year, $25.9 million deal ($14 million guaranteed)

* Reggie Wayne, 33, signed a 3-year, $17.5 million deal.

* Josh Morgan, 26, signed a 2-year, $12 million deal.

Add those to Stevie Johnson’s 5-year, $36.25 million deal a few weeks back and Randy Moss’ 1-year, $4 million deal Monday night, and the price of a wide receiver in this league quickly got out of control.

Then word came down that Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson signed an extension worth $132 million over seven years with $60 million guarenteed and Wallace’s value went up yet another level.

It is a price that the Steelers might not be willing or able to offer Wallace.

You would figure that Wallace would be asking very close to what Jackson got out of Tampa Bay.

Something like 5-years for somewhere in the $50-million range probably would lock Wallace up long-term right now.

Wait until next year when the salary cap is expected to rise significantly and, with another 70-catch, 1,000-yard, 10-touchdown season out of Wallace, the money Jackson got could look like chump change.

The Steelers aren’t going to be able sign Wallace to long-term deal this summer. They just don’t have the money, unless they dump a high-priced veteran (Casey Hampton?)

Now, they could have the money a year from now, but it would be too late by then. Free agency would be upon Wallace who would cash in.

Sure it is about money, but it is also about value when it comes to the Steelers.

The Steelers just don’t place high values on their receivers. They never have.

Just over the past few years alone, they let No. 1 picks Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes leave.

They feel they can get top-notch receivers anywhere from the draft to off the street.

Look at the receivers who got big deals already this year – Colston (7th rounder), Johnson (7th rounder), Garcon (6th rounder). Wallace was a 3rd-rounder as well as Emmauel Sanders and Hines Ward. Antonio Brown was a 6th rounder.

When you take in account what happened Tuesday, how much those guys got paid, how the Steelers don’t value receivers and how little disposable cap money they have along with how much some teams might have next year with the cap going up, it’s not a good equation for Wallace staying with the Steelers.

It is a possibility that the Steelers will let Wallace play out his final year of his contract and test the free agent market.

– Mark Kaboly

MasterOfPuppets
03-14-2012, 11:17 PM
thats exactly the scenerio i see playing out...another solid season an he chases his fortune elsewhere... thats why part of me was kinda hoping someone would take him this year for a 1st....:noidea:

tony hipchest
03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
atleast we'll finally get that high comp pick at the end of the 4th round.

tanda10506
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
We can still make a long term deal with him even if nobody shows interest in him this year, which would prevent the scenario of him playing this year and walking for sure the next and us getting nothing in return.

On a side note, those WR's are good, Colston is really coming on strong, but those prices are ridiculous. Vincent Jackson over 10 million a year? He's a good WR but he's not top 5 like Wallace and he had plenty of issues on the Chargers as far as getting along with management. 10 million seems absolutely ridiculous, but I can care less what the Buccs do with their money I guess, but you know Wallace is thinking: "I'm younger and faster than that guy".

Fire Arians
03-15-2012, 12:50 AM
We can still make a long term deal with him even if nobody shows interest in him this year, which would prevent the scenario of him playing this year and walking for sure the next and us getting nothing in return.

On a side note, those WR's are good, Colston is really coming on strong, but those prices are ridiculous. Vincent Jackson over 10 million a year? He's a good WR but he's not top 5 like Wallace and he had plenty of issues on the Chargers as far as getting along with management. 10 million seems absolutely ridiculous, but I can care less what the Buccs do with their money I guess, but you know Wallace is thinking: "I'm younger and faster than that guy".

He should also be thinking that vincent jackson will never win a super bowl in his career, but he may if he stays in pittsburgh. i guess it depends what he wants, a huge payday or a shot at being world champ

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 12:53 AM

On a side note, those WR's are good, Colston is really coming on strong, but those prices are ridiculous. Vincent Jackson over 10 million a year? He's a good WR but he's not top 5 like Wallace and he had plenty of issues on the Chargers as far as getting along with management. 10 million seems absolutely ridiculous, but I can care less what the Buccs do with their money I guess, but you know Wallace is thinking: "I'm younger and faster than that guy".it seems rediculous but that is way the league is going. the FB is all but a dinosaur. Adrian Peterson type "bell-cow" backs are a rarity. you will never see 3 running backs on the field at the same time, but a 3 wr set is almost a base formation.

running backs are done, spent, and out of the league shortly after 30 years old (see parker, l. johnson, c. portis, r. williams). receivers like moss, driver, ward, can try and hang on forever.

rodger goodell doesnt want any "earl campbells" on his watch, trying to come back and sue the league later. while he cant set rules for lineman and backs to prevent injuries, he is making rules that make the passing game the more attractive choice.

there will probably be only 1 RB drafted in the 1st round this year.

the game has changed by design and teams are keen to this.

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Goodell's passing offense hopes are succeeding, and it's SEVERELY messing up the cost of players. 55 Million is FAR to much for ANY receiver. Jerry Rice made 55 million throughout his entire career.

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Before you know it kickers and punters will be making 12 million a year and receivers will be raking in 20. I don't believe ANYONE is worth 50 million over 5 years unless it's someone a squad is built around, that being the QB. The Steelers need to take action and get themselves out of future Cap hell if this is what the NFL will be like.

tony hipchest
03-15-2012, 01:30 AM
. Jerry Rice made 55 million throughout his entire career.

and the story is art rooney bought the steelers for $2300. :hunch:

football is a multi billion dollar business with a labor union agreement.

the players are gonna get their agreed upon share of the $$$ NO MATTER WHAT.

i dont see why fans dont get this. :noidea:

Bayz101
03-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I know it, I understand it and I expect it. But I don't like it. That's something you can't persuade me to do. If Wallace was 6'3 and stocky with that speed (unlikely) i'd give him 60 million over 5 years and a one night stay at the playboy mansion. THAT is worth a shit ton of money. Imagine Calvin Johnson with that kind of speed? He'd make more than the QB!

Maybe i'm just a tired, worn out hypocritical asshole :chuckle: