PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Lyn
07-17-2006, 09:21 AM
I really hate to complain because our soliders are really in the heat but my God it is hotter than hell here! It is almost too hot to be outside as the humidity is horrible....I know the heat is terible in Iraq how is the humidity?

BlackNGold203
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
I dunno Lyn...I agree...the weather has been so funky....Its been like a tropical rain forest all summer long....

Stay in..stay cool...I think its gonna get a lil better later this week....*crosses fingers*

HometownGal
07-17-2006, 10:35 AM
It is supposed to go into the mid 90's today here in the Burgh. The electric companies are going to make a killing today - LOL! I have my water handy and the A/C on overdrive. Please be careful out there today, especially any of you who may have asthma or health concerns.

I much prefer the cool, crisp air of the fall. :bouncy:

SteelCityMan786
07-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Supposed to hit 94 Here. And Heat Advisory Is In effect to.

floodcitygirl
07-17-2006, 11:10 AM
They are talking about a heat emergency here in Cincy! Anyone for a roasted marshmallow??? :sun:

MattsMe
07-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Currently 105 here. It reached 107 yesterday. :cool:

Big D
07-18-2006, 02:51 PM
100 in beantown right now

blackvelvet
07-18-2006, 04:31 PM
i beleive the thermometer said 95 today.

HburgXL06
07-18-2006, 07:09 PM
It's been in the 90s in the HBG but the heat index (humidity) has put it up to the 100s or makes it feel like such. What makes it really bad is that there is no wind and the heat plus the humidity makes the air feel so thick you're swimmin through it. Workin outdoors all day is what kills me because we are out in that heat and sun runnin around and the building we work in is hotter than the outside wit all the oven, grill, fryers, heat window, etc. Oh well. Just do what you gotta do to stay cool, in my case we go through about 8 cups of water in under 5 hours. Peace.

BuFu

CantStop85
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
The heat's ridiculous right now...almost 97 in Kentucky. Everyday when I go outside to run, I say to myself "today's a good day to die."

PisnNapalm
07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
The thermometer hit 99 today. Frickin hot and damn humid. Then a thunderstorm rolled through around 7 pm and knocked out our power for 3 hours. Atleast it was 20 degrees cooler after the storm.

The kid's wading pool was too hot for swimming today. I had to drain out some water and put cold water in.

SteelShooter
07-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Lyn,

The humidity in Iraq depends on which part of that godforsaken country you are in, and what time of year.

During July and August the temperatures soar well past 100F. With some sites going above 120F. Fortunately, it is very dry, humidity-wise....down to 6-11 percent during afternoon max heating.

The highest humidity during this time-frame is out over the water. The Sailors and Fleet Marines are hating life right now. Humidity will be 85 (on a good day) to 94 percent.

Now, I'm not saying the guys (and gals) on the ground are overly comfortable. I've been afloat and ashore there.................it all equally sucks!

The worst are the Dust Storms, most prevalent during the Spring and Fall. Most of the "Sand" is down around Saudi Arabia. Iraq (and Kuwait) is mostly dust. Just imagine a reddish tinted baby powder being released in the room you are in that is so thick that you literally cannot see the opposite wall. It gets into everything. Everything you eat and drink is gritty. You chaffe because it works its way into your clothing. Most Dust Storms are raised by frontal passage. But the "Haboobs" are just insane. Yes, it's a real, and correct, term. A Haboob is a dust storm raised by the strong outflow of a Cumulonimbus, or Thunderstorm Cloud. Once we were hit by the outflow raised dust, within minutes hail started dropping on us as the Thunder Cell moved overhead (yes...Hail in the Desert..Freaky!), only to be engulfed in dust once again on the backside of the cell.

It's no wonder the people are psycho there....they either fry from the heat or mummify from the dissecant dust!

Hawk Believer
07-19-2006, 02:47 AM
I was going to post about how nice the weather was today in my town ( the one time of the year we might have the most desirable weather) and gloat a little. But I can't do that following a post about the god awful conditions all of service men and women in the Middle East are working in. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails.

So instead, to all you working in the unrelenting sand and sun of the Middle East - :toast:

SteelShooter
07-22-2006, 06:02 PM
I was going to post about how nice the weather was today in my town ( the one time of the year we might have the most desirable weather) and gloat a little. But I can't do that following a post about the god awful conditions all of service men and women in the Middle East are working in. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails.

So instead, to all you working in the unrelenting sand and sun of the Middle East - :toast:

Bro............go ahead and talk about your hometown weather. These guys and gals do what they do so that you CAN SAY WHAT YOU WISH...WHEN/WHERE YOU WISH.

Here's a secret; as long as you practice free speech.......then you prove that they are doing their job and accomplishing their mission. That is the biggest pat on the back they can receive.

When I do my volunteer work down at the border (San Diego/Tijuana), we still occasionally get the drunk liberal or drunk collage kid (isn't that about the same thing though? <jk>) that turns their noses up to us, or makes an offhanded remark. My junior troops get a little riled up (deservedly so I believe), but I tell them "Don't sweat it, they are proving how well you are doing your job by protecting their Freedom of Speech...tell them Thank You next time." They actually do say it occasionally.......and you should see the looks on the offenders face.....PRICELESS!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-22-2006, 07:05 PM
When i was in Iraq, it would get up to 135* but it was a very dry heat... It was hot, but we didnt have to deal with the humidity...
When we would wake up it would be about 90* and it would feel freezing cold like it was in the 30's....
Well thats my experience......... :rolleyes:

floodcitygirl
07-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Steelshooter, forgive me for even jokingly kidding about "conditions" here, in my land of cush, while you and our men and women are enduring, for our benefit. Please know that in the midst of my routine, you are all in my thoughts and prayers daily, and while I don't really know if any place is God-forsaken, you definately are not. :smile:

SteelShooter
07-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Ya'll are all way too kind.......What we do is our job. Nothing more, nothing less.

But you guys make it all very much worth it.