PDA

View Full Version : Ward Press Conference

soulkitchen
03-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Hines is scheduled to address the media today at noon at Steelers headquarters. Got a feeling this will be his announcement on his retirement. I'll be glad to see him make that call and go out with an official presser.

mesaSteeler
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Ward to meet media at noon today
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/ward-to-meet-media-at-noon-today/article_669efd38-728d-11e1-9d2d-001a4bcf6878.html
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:05 am

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments

Former Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has scheduled a press conference for noon today at team headquarters on the South Side of Pittsburgh.

Ward, the Steelers' all-time leading receiver, was told on Feb. 29 that he would be cut after 14 pro seasons.

Several times this past season, Ward said he wanted to play at least one more year if the Steelers released him. However, there is speculation that Ward may announce his retirement today.

Bayz101
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Definitely looks like a retirement announcement.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Speculation or common sense? Considering he was cut, and has zero ties to the Steelers, to enter the building and have a press conference there certainly isnt to say he signed with the Ravens, lol. Although that would be quite funny.
Like Pacino in the Any Given Sunday when he announced he was going to the new expansion team and taking the star QB with him..

MACH1
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Maybe he resigned for the home town discount vet minimum. :chuckle:

Speculation or common sense? Considering he was cut, and has zero ties to the Steelers, to enter the building and have a press conference there certainly isnt to say he signed with the Ravens, lol. Although that would be quite funny.
Like Pacino in the Any Given Sunday when he announced he was going to the new expansion team and taking the star QB with him..

If in fact he is retiring he's retiring a Steeler common sense says he does it at the team facilities he played his whole career for. :tap:

LayingTheWoodley56
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Definitely sounds like he's going to announce his retirement. I don't see the team having a change of heart in terms of bringing him back. This is a good move for both him, the organization and the fans. No more hard feelings, no trauma for us seeing Hines in another uniform, and no embarassment for a great player who just can't do it anymore.

Does anyone know if it will be broadcast live anywhere on the web?

BIGNASTY91
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
will be live at 12 on steelers.com

ETL
03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
maybe they will announce his hiring as the official Steelers "run through a brick wall" coach

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Maybe he resigned for the home town discount vet minimum. :chuckle:

If in fact he is retiring he's retiring a Steeler common sense says he does it at the team facilities he played his whole career for. :tap:
OR.... he's going to challenge tomlin to a celebrity boxing match ...:tt03:

OX1947
03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
It's official. Hines Ward will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am very very very happy.

Lokki
03-20-2012, 12:14 PM
It's official. Hines Ward will retire a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am very very very happy.

I'd rather him take this classy route, than playing somewhere else for a year or 2. I'll miss seeing him on the field for sure though.

LVSteelersfan
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Thank you for all your years of hard work Hines. I am happy that you decided to retire and let your legacy talk for itself. I know it had to be hard to be sent packing by the Steelers but time marches on. You will be fondly remembered by your legions of Steeler fans everywhere. That smile of yours always lit up the world. Fans of other teams love to hate you and call you a dirty player. Steeler fans know you as a hardnosed, best blocking WR in the history of the league. I hope the powers that be see fit to put you in the Hall of Fame.

wera176
03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Man, that was hard to watch! *sniff*

Had to quite watching it at work, can't have people see me cry!

Salute to you Hines! Classy to the end... :drink:

OX1947
03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I'd rather him take this classy route, than playing somewhere else for a year or 2. I'll miss seeing him on the field for sure though.

It's like Joe Montana said, it is better to leave a little earlier then a little too late. I think Hines could have played at least one more year and been productive, maybe 2. But, why, career is full, he is healthy, it's time. And I am so happy he will never wear another uniform.

DanRooney
I for one am in absolute shock nobody wanted this guy in free agency :coffee:

HanSteelers
Definition of a class act.
Favorite Steeler Of All Time.
Thanks for everything.

LVSteelersfan
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM

He said he had interested teams. After soul searching he could just not see himself in any other uniform but the black and gold. Class act all the way. We will miss you. I hope the Steelers see fit to take you on as a coach.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM

The guys is a 36 year old WR. Not a lot of market for those guys in the NFL.

Been a great career and wish him the best in the next stage of his life. Wish I could have made his salary for just 1 year.

StainlessStill
03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
HINES WARD FTW! That's how it's done. I will not don another Pittsburgh Steelers jersey other than #86 Hines Ward next season in honor of not only a Steelers all-time legend, but an all-time BADASS. Thank you Hines Ward for knocking out bigger men that outweigh you by 200 pounds and laughing your ass off about it. Bleed Black & Gold!

ETL
03-20-2012, 12:41 PM
The guys is a 36 year old WR. Not a lot of market for those guys in the NFL.

Been a great career and wish him the best in the next stage of his life. Wish I could have made his salary for just 1 year.

el gonzo, rooney is being sarcastic with his comments

Bayz101
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Sure you are.

Raw Steel
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Man, that was tough to watch. What a great player and a great Steeler. He truly loved the game and the fans.

My biggest memory of Hines won't be his catches, his blocks or his Super Bowl victories. It will be the fact that almost every time he caught a TD pass, he gave the ball someone wearing his jersey in the stands.

Truly a class act!

Steel_Bus_24
03-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Man that became too hard to watch, will miss him a lot

So many great #86 Steeler memories

LayingTheWoodley56
03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Man, that was tough to watch. What a great player and a great Steeler. He truly loved the game and the fans.

My biggest memory of Hines won't be his catches, his blocks or his Super Bowl victories. It will be the fact that almost every time he caught a TD pass, he gave the ball someone wearing his jersey in the stands.

Truly a class act!

I always liked that about our man Hines too, always recognizing who was wearing his digits in the stands and thanking them by giving them the ball. Everything that can be said about this guy has been said since his release (I think I've already waxed poetic about him enough on this board) so I'll keep it simple here. Goodbye, thank you, and we love you Hines. #86 forever!!!!:tt04:

Cpitt78
03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
For anyone that missed the emotional press conference, you can watch it at the bottom of this article. Pretty sad. Really going to miss him.

http://www.ripten.com/2012/03/01/ea-sports-madden-12-thinks-hines-ward-should-retire/

Cpitt78
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
For a second I thought he actually wasn't going to cry...

Anyone think we will bring him back as a coach? Or do you think he needs some time to cool off first? The temptation to hop on the field may still be too great for him right now.

stb_steeler
03-20-2012, 02:02 PM

I dont think it was a matter of free agency, he made his mind up he'll retire a steeler instead.

truesteelerfan
03-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I couldn't watch it all - his passion for the game and us as his fans is amazing - he remains an all pro in every sense of what a football player should be. Can you imagine comparing his announcement to way someone like Moss will retire - Now...to the future - YES, I would love for him to be our WR coach!

Curtain_of_Steel
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
You dont think it was a matter of free agency? Seriously?

The phone didn't ring. Logic set in, he thought "hmmmmm, do I continue to hang on, hoping someone calls me" or is the writing on the way, because no one has called."
"how can I take the high road here and save face"

Here you have it.

So as usual, the FO knows when to cut loose. Unfortunately with Smith we blew 5-10million on an extra year or 2. Hines was a little different in that we had 3 young WR's, 1 who gets injured taking a dump in Sanders and than Ward shooting for 2 records. Public opinion was there to keep Ward and hoping he woul dbe servicable on top of getting the 2 milestones.

Glad to see him take the high road, not linger around hoping, and retiring a Steeler without slapping on another uniform.

stb_steeler
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
jfWkyl26eQM

Bayz101
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Hines-Ward-Announces-Retirement/4bcf3ae8-6c3f-4f7e-b107-ecd236810fbe

soulkitchen
03-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Say what you want, but you won't see another one like him. Mold is broken on that guy. I just hope some of it rubbed off on the new guys. Give me just a little grit with their gas and I'll be happy.

Sean95m
03-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Class act! Ward could have played in ANY era bottom line!!! And Hines I said I wasn't gonna cry as well, but I cried along with you as I watched the news conference. Steelers for life Hines Ward! The man honestly cares about us fans as you all seen his news conference. How many current players on other teams care and have the passion he does for his fans? I dare say not many.

Atlanta Dan
03-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Harrison sat with former Ward teammates Jerome Bettis, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel, and said unashamedly "we're doing an over/under on tears."

You think they were kidding?

Harrison seem like a kidder?
:thumbsup:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/gene-collier/collier-blood-sweat-and-of-course-tears-will-pave-wards-path-to-canton-627184/

BengalDestroyer
03-20-2012, 08:08 PM
THE Greatest Steeler ever.

tony hipchest
03-20-2012, 08:09 PM
we shouldve had an over/under of how many posts in this thread before someone started to hate. i woulda said post #10 and bet the under.

Busforever
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
He didn't redefine the WR position. Because no other WR is still able to bring all he brings on the table.

fujirama24
03-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Love the man the way he played was epic. I still think he could play but I am in the minority. Wish him the best. Hope to see him doing games, hopefully just not with collinsworth. You da man hines.

Sean95m
03-21-2012, 01:47 AM
The fact current and former Steelers that play on the other side of the ball to show up for a WR's retirement speach speaks volumes! Was als cool Bettis showed up as well.

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2012, 08:20 AM
The fact current and former Steelers that play on the other side of the ball to show up for a WR's retirement speach speaks volumes! Was als cool Bettis showed up as well.

Ed.B. of the P-G notes one Steeler who did not show up and whom Ward did not mention in his remarks

Hines Ward mentioned a lot of people at his press conference yesterday, coaches, teammates, etc. He brought up the names of two quarterbacks, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. He did not mention Ben Roethlisberger.
A handful of teammates along with former teammate Jerome Bettis attended, as did Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Art Rooney. Roethlisberger was not among them.
Should we draw any conclusions from this. Yes, that the two former teammates were not chummy. Roethlisberger took the high road when he told me after Ward’s release by the Steelers that the so-called animosity between them was blown out of proportion. Not all teammates are chummy.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115436-ed-sans-wallace-a-cotchery-ward-might-look-good

Who knows - maybe Ben was out of town:noidea:

I find it more interesting Ward would mention Maddux but not the QB with whom he won 2 Super Bowls

MzunguT
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
what a cool way to go. hardly seen a professional athlete thank his fans so much from the heart and showing so much love and respect for his organization. glad we do not have to see him in any other colours. we will not find somebody like him again.