PDA

View Full Version : Woulld You Marry Someone To Give Them Citizenship?

Lyn
07-17-2006, 09:38 AM
A co-worker & friend and I got into this discussion over am coffee. I actually know two people who have done this. I think it has the potential to be too much of a mess. Aside from the legal ramifications (which I think are significant), how do you work out your personal life during the time of the marriage? Do you continue to date and meet other people during the time of your "fake marriage"? If so, how do you explain/justify your marriage to them?

What about your family? How do you explain things to them? They'd have to either be in on the secret or you'd have to lie to them (in the event that they were quizzed by the INS). The more people who know about your little secret, the greater potential you have for exposure.

And what about finances? When the inevitable divorce comes along, if the person has become savvy enough in the American way they could take you to the cleaners in the divorce proceedings. What are you going to tell the family court judge..."but we weren't really married to begin with?"

If you are a person who tries to keep unnecessary hassle and complication out of your life, you may not be up for this as this would have the potential for far too much of that.
Lastly, is it legal at all?

Big D
07-17-2006, 09:42 AM
if the chick was hot enough sign me up

HometownGal
07-17-2006, 10:01 AM
I'd do most anything for anyone, but tying the knot to give a person citizenship wouldn't be one of them. The sister of one of my friends did this to help a friend of hers from Lebanon and it was a nightmare. If it was someone I had developed a close friendship with, I might try to help to sponsor them instead, though it is costly from what I understand.

Mosca
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
My sister did it for a close friend of hers who was a Chinese national. They divorced after 6 years and are both remarried, but they remain friends to this day. I don't know what she got out of it; I would suspect a big chunk of change on the order of $50k and I know he gave her a Jag. This was in the mid-80s. He's a great guy, he was worth doing it for. His mother died in a Chinese prison during one of Mao's purges; he and his brothers and sisters, and his father, escaped from the mainland one by one on rafts during the '60s and '70s. He now has a very good business here in the US, and most of his family is successful either here or in Taiwan. He and my sister had to go to mainland China on business about 15 years ago, and he was terrified that he would be recognized and thrown into prison; he said that we didn't understand, people over there have long memories. It didn't happen, Mao was pretty thoroughly discredited by then.

Tom

CAH
07-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Can't wait to see the guy who is desperate enough to marry me.

No one is permitted to agree with that. It's my own private joke. GOT THAT????

floodcitygirl
07-17-2006, 11:05 AM
This is a little off subject, but I have a friend from Russia who has been trying to get thru the process of becoming a citizen. She's absolutely that kind of person that anyone would want to have as a neighbor.....kind, loyal, hardworking, responsible....loves this contry. She's been telling me for a while about the nightmare process that she has been going thru to get it done....massive paperwork...fees....unhelpful and often rude workers at the imagration office....delays. Frustrating for her because she wants to do it the right way. I don't know if there is more or less involved if you marry a US citizen but it could be part of the reason people go that route.

Livinginthe past
07-17-2006, 02:04 PM
Can't wait to see the guy who is desperate enough to marry me.

No one is permitted to agree with that. It's my own private joke. GOT THAT????

You need to tell us what sort of compensation you are offering first! :sofunny:

NM

SteelCzar76
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't knock anybody's hustle for doing it (on either side of the scenario),.... necessity is the mother of most innovation and advancement. However i happen to be "old world" in a sense that i believe Marriage should be honorable, sacred and reserved for your "Great One".

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

CAH
07-17-2006, 08:12 PM
You need to tell us what sort of compensation you are offering first! :sofunny:

NM
You feel lucky, punk? (Always wanted to use that line) :crutches:

slashsteel
07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
If the money was right sure why not. Give me $100,000 and I'd almost marry anyones mother.

Cah we all know you are marrying material sexy cool. I am all for someone who knows their way around the kitchen.:bouncy:

There goes my browny points! lol

SteelCzar76
07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
(Martin voice),.."Yeeah,.. you might have stumbled,... just a lil bit there on points slash" LOL However, your Iron Pimp Hand in the velvet glove is to be respected though,....LMAO !

'Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"

CAH
07-18-2006, 03:57 PM
If the money was right sure why not. Give me $100,000 and I'd almost marry anyones mother.

Cah we all know you are marrying material sexy cool. I am all for someone who knows their way around the kitchen.:bouncy:

There goes my browny points! lol
CAH in the kitchen???? Yes you lost brownie points.

slashsteel
07-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Damn can't a hungry man just get some food. lol ;)