PDA

View Full Version : WOW McFly...

MDSteel15
03-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Part of an article from Todd McShay about this years draft....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story?id=7686324&_slug_=depth-strong-several-positions-2012-nfl-draft-board&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft2012%2fstory%3fid%3d7686324%26_slug_%3ddep th-strong-several-positions-2012-nfl-draft-board

The way I see it at this point in the draft process, there are five elite players on the board -- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Matt Kalil, Trent Richardson, Morris Claiborne -- with Justin Blackmon on the fringe of that group. However, there's a noticeable drop-off in talent after that point.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good football players to be had and many are worthy of first-round grades. But many of the players in this year's second tier -- which is dominated by defenders such as Melvin Ingram, Luke Kuechly, Quinton Coples, Dontari Poe, Mark Barron, Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Courtney Upshaw and Dre Kirkpatrick -- would figure into the third tier of talent in other recent drafts.

On the positive side, there is a lot of depth at key positions such as quarterback, offensive line, defensive line and cornerback, and the defensive end class is the most intriguing right now.

Some ends will convert to outside linebacker in 3-4 defenses, but after the top two tiers of Ingram, Coples and Upshaw, there are many quality players such as Andre Branch, Whitney Mercilus, Chandler Jones (who I contend is one of the most underrated players in this draft) and Nick Perry.

There are no defensive linemen in the top six overall, but 10 of the next 26 players hail from the defensive line. That should make a lot of playoff-contending teams happy.

Elsewhere, we still have only three quarterbacks in in the top 32, but names like Brock Osweiler, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins and Brandon Weeden are in the top 51 overall.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Notice how McShay doesnt have ILB as a position where there is a lot of depth??

Its why the Steelers may have to look at ILB early if one is there and wait until later for an O lineman.

BKAnthem
03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Notice how McShay doesnt have ILB as a position where there is a lot of depth??

Its why the Steelers may have to look at ILB early if one is there and wait until later for an O lineman.

Whats wrong with the ton of LB's Colbert drafted 2 years ago?

Fire Arians
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM

I want sylvester to be the guy, but he wasn't ready last year, and didn't show anything great at MLB, at times looked lost. hopefully it was due to not having a full offseason, probably hurt the rookies and 2nd year players a lot developmental wise.

in any case i would say dont'a hightower would be nfl ready sooner than sylvester would, just purely based off talent and the fact that hightower would be playing his natural position out of college, whereas sly had to learn a new position in a new system

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

At ILB the Steelers took Stevenson Sylvester.? I'll be amazed if he is ever a full time starter in the NFL. LB taken at the end of the 5th round is a developmental guy anyways.

As for the others, you must mean Thad Gibson and Jason Worilds I guess?

3 LB's taken 3 years ago and not one of them is going to be ready to start this season. Niiiiiiiiccce draft.

fujirama24
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I want sylvester to be the guy, but he wasn't ready last year, and didn't show anything great at MLB, at times looked lost. hopefully it was due to not having a full offseason, probably hurt the rookies and 2nd year players a lot developmental wise.

in any case i would say dont'a hightower would be nfl ready sooner than sylvester would, just purely based off talent and the fact that hightower would be playing his natural position out of college, whereas sly had to learn a new position in a new system

Syvester plays to upright. He doesn't get low enough to be considered a true starter. Yeah we all saw him his rookie year and thought we had something in him but 2 years later we know that we just don't. We don't have to go after ILB in the first round. I know all of you don't like larry foote but he tackles very well. Yeah he doesn't attack the line of scrimmage very well and can't guard very many tight ends but he is a solid ILBer. IF hightower is there I see us taking him but if he is not we will probable go in a different direction. The steelers don't reach for players in the first round. We haven't made a bad pick in the first round since troy edwards in 99. So you can't blame the gm's for are picks. If all the offensive lineman and Linebackers that are projected to go that high are gone then we will take BPA of the position that we need the most.

fujirama24
03-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I think the year we took mendanhall and sweed. I the first two rounds was are worst draft in 20 years. We drafted mendenhall in the first he played maybe two good seasons. Sweed was a complete bust in the second. Bruce Daviis was another bust in the third and the only other player worth mentioning was Dennis Dixon. He started what 2 games for us. That draft has been killing us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I think the year we took mendanhall and sweed. I the first two rounds was are worst draft in 20 years. We drafted mendenhall in the first he played maybe two good seasons. Sweed was a complete bust in the second. Bruce Daviis was another bust in the third and the only other player worth mentioning was Dennis Dixon. He started what 2 games for us. That draft has been killing us.

I agree, but you forgot Tony Hills in the 4th round that year too.

tony hipchest
03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree, but you forgot Tony Hills in the 4th round that year too.

...who will make it to the pro bowl with p. manning as his qb.

MDSteel15
03-21-2012, 06:07 AM
...who will make it to the pro bowl with p. manning as his qb.

:toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: Tony done flipped out!

BKAnthem
03-21-2012, 06:29 PM
3 LB's taken 3 years ago and not one of them is going to be ready to start this season. Niiiiiiiiccce draft.

Which is what i said when they were drafted ...but i was accused of being a Whiner

Dalarin
03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Which is what i said when they were drafted ...but i was accused of being a Whiner

Don't let other whiners agreeing with you make you believe different. Sit back and enjoy the ride. It's all you can do right now

PhantomJB93
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
At ILB the Steelers took Stevenson Sylvester.? I'll be amazed if he is ever a full time starter in the NFL. LB taken at the end of the 5th round is a developmental guy anyways.

As for the others, you must mean Thad Gibson and Jason Worilds I guess?

To be fair, two of them were OLBs, and we still have the same starting OLBs we had when they were drafted (who both happen to be elite talents) so I wouldn't entirely blame that as being a draft failure. Besides, Worilds has shown he's capable of filling in when we need him to and could probably be a decent starter at this point (not every starting OLB in the NFL is a Woodley or Harrison); maybe not a Pro-Bowler but I'd hardly call him a wasted pick.

As for Sylvester he was a 5th round pick and I'd say you have to be satisfied with how he's turned out. So he probably won't be the next great ILB but he's a great ST player and backup which is about all you can expect a 5th round pick to be.

I do agree with taking Hightower in the first but probably wouldn't focus on the position if he's gone, just not worth worrying about when we have so many other needs. We have enough depth and if we HAD to could rely on Foote and Sylvester for a year. Really, we're spoiled with our team, a lot of teams rely on players of Foote/Sylvester caliber to start for years at a time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2012, 12:28 AM
To be fair, two of them were OLBs, and we still have the same starting OLBs we had when they were drafted (who both happen to be elite talents) so I wouldn't entirely blame that as being a draft failure. Besides, Worilds has shown he's capable of filling in when we need him to and could probably be a decent starter at this point (not every starting OLB in the NFL is a Woodley or Harrison); maybe not a Pro-Bowler but I'd hardly call him a wasted pick.

As for Sylvester he was a 5th round pick and I'd say you have to be satisfied with how he's turned out. So he probably won't be the next great ILB but he's a great ST player and backup which is about all you can expect a 5th round pick to be.

I do agree with taking Hightower in the first but probably wouldn't focus on the position if he's gone, just not worth worrying about when we have so many other needs. We have enough depth and if we HAD to could rely on Foote and Sylvester for a year. Really, we're spoiled with our team, a lot of teams rely on players of Foote/Sylvester caliber to start for years at a time.

I just think we had other needs instead of Worilds in the 2nd. Could have got our IlB there instead and then looked for the OLB prospect in the 5 th. iMO Sylvester is a poor mans Keyaron Fox. Like you say, special teamer and backup.