PDA

View Full Version : What is it like to be around Steeler fans all the time???

ARKIESTEEL
07-17-2006, 03:05 PM
It seems very strange to me that many of you have Steelers fans that are next door too you or the guy that works with you. Being so far away you run into very few other Steeler fans if I see a dude with a Steeler ball cap on I stop and talk for a bit but we are very few around here. I guess I was thinking of what it is going to be like in Pittsburgh when I come to the game. Sorry to just throw this out but I would love to hear how it is to be in the middle of a bunch of fans instead of by yourself. The only thing that ever happened to me was the dallas game a few years ago there must have been 15000 Steeler fans there.

Ok I am weird

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Arkie my fellow Steelers bro its great being around Steelers all the time. Now I was born and raised in Indiana. But my mom and dad were born around Pittsburgh. In the late 1970's my parents moved to Indiana and alot of my mom's family as well. So growing up I always had my family around me as Steelers fans. Plus there is a good number of Steelers fans in Indiana in general. Its common for me to be at the bar and someone comes in with a Steelers hat on.

But I also did live in Pittsburgh for year and during the 1997 season. It was great being in Pittsburgh during a Steelers season. The Steelers Nation is the best and I have much love for you all.

stlrtruck
07-17-2006, 04:16 PM
It has to be much better than being around a bunch of scubs (bucs) fans. For whatever reason I get told regularly that I should switch my allegiance to the bucs because I now live in the Tampa area.

I ask them if they were to move to another city, would they support the team in that area and they most always say, "YES!" Then I give them, see no loyalty speech and that ends the conversation (thank God).

pittfansam
07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I live in Atlanta, where there are tons of die-hard Steelers fans. I have never lived in Pittsburgh, but I along with my much of my extended family, who live all across the country (Miami, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Baltimore and some still in Pittsburgh), are giant Steelers fans. In my neighborhood this past year, 20 people who are Steelers fans gathered and had a bonfire party the night of the Super Bowl, and when I went to my school during the weeks before the Super Bowl, a dozen people wore jerseys or brought Terrible Towels. Where I live, there are several Steelers bars where maybe 50 to 100 people will gather for every game, whether its a winning season or not. In 1996, the last time the Steelers came to Atlanta, the Georgia Dome was probably half-filled with Steelers fans. However, there are tons of people who claim to be Falcons "die-hards." However, as has been said in other posts, these people would probably never root for the Falcons if they moved. Around the country, I have seen Mike Vick jerseys, but when I ask them if they are Falcons fans, they say they just like the shirt. People tell me I should change to become a Falcons fan, but I tell them that the Steelers have always been my team, and the Falcons are lame and their fans are nowhere close to as crazy.

83-Steelers-43
07-17-2006, 05:20 PM
It's a beautiful thing. "That's all I gotta say about that".

Heinz Field on a Sunday home game is excellent.

melroseplace
07-17-2006, 07:16 PM
growing up I never thought about it because seeing people wearing Steelers hats/shirts/etc all through the year is so common that I don't bat an eye. but when I stop to think about it, it's pretty amazing

Indy_Steelers
07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I am fortunate; I get a lot here in Indiana. I meet Steelers fans once or twice a week. Just met one yesterday. Also at my part time job, working at Lifetime Fitness, I work with 5 other Steelers fans and there are many members who are fans. Plus we have our own bar that draws over 100 on a Sunday. I do need to get to the Burgh more often though

SteelersGirlTN7
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Im in Titan land, and I get the same crap speeches about changing my allegiance LOL NEVER gonna happen. I don't even root for the Titans when theyre not playing the Steelers.

You see Steelers fans here more often than you would think, b/c a lot of people followed them before there was a team here.

And, every game day, theres a bar I go to where we just take it over LOL Theres always a big group of us there!

Aww man, now Im home sick for the bar on gameday!!! :-)

SteelerzGirl
07-17-2006, 09:40 PM
It's great because you live it every single day. It's a way of life in western Pennsylvania. I'm not sure a day ever goes by when I don't talk to someone about something regarding the Steelers. It just IS...(lol). :smile:

SteelerzGirl
07-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Im in Titan land, and I get the same crap speeches about changing my allegiance LOL NEVER gonna happen. I don't even root for the Titans when theyre not playing the Steelers.

You see Steelers fans here more often than you would think, b/c a lot of people followed them before there was a team here.

And, every game day, theres a bar I go to where we just take it over LOL Theres always a big group of us there!

If you change your allegiance to the Titans, I'll kick your butt...(lol)! But I know that won't happen. :smile:

Hang in there, girlie. The season is right around the corner. :bouncy:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2006, 09:45 PM
It's great because you live it every single day. It's a way of life in western Pennsylvania. I'm not sure a day ever goes by when I don't talk to someone about something regarding the Steelers. It just IS...(lol). :smile:

I wasn't born in western PA but I do know what you are talking about since my mom and dad were born close to Pittsburgh. Even though I'm not surrounded by Steelers fans. Its still a way of life and I talk about the Steelers every day thanks to my family. Most of my moms family is out here in Indiana as well. So we have the Steelers Nation presented very well out here in Bears and Colts country.

I might have been born in Indiana but Pittsburgh will always be in my heart.:bouncy:

Lyn
07-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I live in Michigan and have been a steeler fan for many, many years. We have no ties to Pittsburgh. Where I work there are 13 steeler fans and noone knew one another before they started working. Steeler fans are all over this area, all ages. As Steelerzgirl said everyday something is said regarding the steelers.

HometownGal
07-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I live in the Burgh, so I am blessed to be surrounded by Steelers fans all the time. :smile:

I'll never forget a Pre-Trial Conference I attended with an attorney I was working with on an upcoming trial several years ago. When the Judge decided to give us all a break from the "action", no one left the room, including the Judge, and we all sat around for almost half an hour talking..........

Steelers football! :cool:

floodcitygirl
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
After years of feeling very isolated from my Steeler roots, I have been blessed to meet a group of fellow fans here in Cincy as well as a great Steeler bar to watch the games! It's not unusual to be around town and come across someone wearing some Steeler gear or giving a positive comment on mine.....But there is something incredible about being back in my hometown in Western PA, where you are surrounded by fans at any time of the year! The local stores are always showcasing Steeler gear...everywhere. It gives you a sense of being part of something.......huge! :smile:

MyCuz64Furness
07-18-2006, 12:17 PM
This is an awesome topic to post............I too will be at the opener and am ecstatic to be able to get a feel in person of the Steeler fever........I grew up in Fla with an entire family that loved the Steelers and watching Steven play........so I can say I have a tiny knowledge of what it might feel like......but my dream has been to go to the Burgh my whole life.......my husband is giving me this gift for my birthday and I can't wait :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

You Burgher's should feel extremely lucky:smile: .....Don't take it for granted :angel:

SteelersGirlTN7
07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
If you change your allegiance to the Titans, I'll kick your butt...(lol)! But I know that won't happen. :smile:

Hang in there, girlie. The season is right around the corner. :bouncy:

Ohh good lord LOL There are ZERO worries about that .. I bleed black and gold!!! :-)

Im in a house now (no longer in an apartment) LOL Theres gonna be signs and crap all over my windows during season .. LOL These Titans fans are gonna hate me!

SteelerzGirl
07-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Ohh good lord LOL There are ZERO worries about that .. I bleed black and gold!!! :-)

Im in a house now (no longer in an apartment) LOL Theres gonna be signs and crap all over my windows during season .. LOL These Titans fans are gonna hate me!

Thatta girl! Live it and breathe it, sister! Shove it down the Titans' fans throats...(lol). :sofunny:

Congrats on your new house! I hope the Titans' fans don't TP it. Yikes...(lol)! :wink:

SteelerzGirl
07-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I wasn't born in western PA but I do know what you are talking about since my mom and dad were born close to Pittsburgh. Even though I'm not surrounded by Steelers fans. Its still a way of life and I talk about the Steelers every day thanks to my family. Most of my moms family is out here in Indiana as well. So we have the Steelers Nation presented very well out here in Bears and Colts country.

I might have been born in Indiana but Pittsburgh will always be in my heart.:bouncy:

Are you going to make it to Pittsburgh this year for a game? You best get your buns out this way sometime this season or you're gonna miss out...(lol)! :bouncy:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Are you going to make it to Pittsburgh this year for a game? You best get your buns out this way sometime this season or you're gonna miss out...(lol)! :bouncy:

Actually sweetie I have tickets for the Dec. 24 game against the Ravens. It will be my fourth Steelers and first at Heinz Field. I got to go to two games during the 1997 season when I lived in Pittsburgh for a year. Then I was at Indy for the Monday night game last year. I can't wait to get to Heinz Field with the rest of the Steelers Nation.

SteelerzGirl
07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Actually sweetie I have tickets for the Dec. 24 game against the Ravens. It will be my fourth Steelers and first at Heinz Field. I got to go to two games during the 1997 season when I lived in Pittsburgh for a year. Then I was at Indy for the Monday night game last year. I can't wait to get to Heinz Field with the rest of the Steelers Nation.

Very, very cool! The next best thing to playin' the Browns on Christmas Eve is playing the Ravens on Christmas Eve! You're gonna love Heinz Field! :smile:

LuckyNumber7
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
It's almost surreal. I mean, I am soo honored to say I am a pittsburgh Steeler fan, let alone say I am from Pittsburgh.....there is no where else in the world I would rather be during the season. It's just surreal. It's like one huge family here......you can't go ANYWHERE w/o seeing steeler fans......"It's a beautiful thing" as told by 83-Steelers-43.....I love it.....it's wonderful.

BCEDGE
07-18-2006, 10:26 PM

You have no idea how many arguments I got into back in the day here in charlotte. All these fans saying well the Steelers are my second favorite team now. (There is a HUGE Steeler base here in North Carolina). I told them all, I understand yes cheer for the Panthers also, but you are either a Steelers fan or you are not. I swear I almost got into a fight in a bar once over it...lol.

wiqidjuggalo
07-19-2006, 04:21 AM
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/01/18/08/04_NYJ2_Fans95_49853.jpg

this is what its like and theres nothing in the world that can even compare to living in STEELER NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MyCuz64Furness
07-19-2006, 10:35 AM

that pic just gave me goosebumps.....I'm stoked about the opener:bouncy: :bouncy:

ARKIESTEEL
07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks to all of you I guess in 48 days I will know what it is like myself.

stillers4me
07-29-2006, 09:22 AM
I live in Cintucky......nuff said.

Actually, there are more Steeler fans in Cincinnati that you would think! I work in a busy ophthalmology office and there are 3 of us now and I run into patients all the time that are Steeler fans. We Dey, you morons!!!!!!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Steelers/steelersbang.gif

steelfan 92
08-05-2006, 01:11 PM
let me jsut say this steelers fans are passionate, and loyal. i lived with 3 eagles fans in college, and they turned on their team as soon as something went wrong. i ride with the steelers 4 life

floodcitygirl
08-05-2006, 10:06 PM

this is what its like and theres nothing in the world that can even compare to living in STEELER NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Reminds me of Paul Brown Stadium a couple of years ago! :sofunny:

stillers4me
08-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Too funny, Flood!

floodcitygirl
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Too funny, Flood!Well....am I wrong????!!!! :sofunny:

terribletowel67
08-06-2006, 02:04 PM
arkie there is nothing like being at a steelers game in heinz field. i go every year to 1 or 2 games im from chicago, i still get goosebumps when im in the stadium seeing all the terrible towels waving! you don't even have to be at the game just walk downtown and you will see hundreds of fans coverd in black and gold. pittsburgh has the best fans in the world, shout out a big yeah to the steelers nation.

memphissteelergirl
08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Ya gotta love the Steeler Nation!!! :thumbsup:

You will never see anything related to the Titans in my house! I will never be a Titans fan
because

a) They used to be the Oilers, and I despised them, too
b) When they were playing here in Memphis while the new stadium was being built, they didn't even try to establish a relationship with the fans here...they treated the city like crap!!

I have never lived in the 'Burgh, but I have a theory the team is a reflection of the city, so it's gotta be a pretty cool place to live :smile: And getting to see at least one game in Heinz Field is on my "things to do before I die" list :wink:

ARKIESTEEL
08-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Soon I will know what it is like and then I can tell my own story. This will be my fifth Steeler game and I have meet some real nice Steeler fans at ever game I have went to I dont think it will compare to what waits ahead for me. I live here in Fayetteville where U of A is and they have shops all over town with little trinkets and other stuff that have their logo on it and all over town you see bumper stickers and hats. What I am getting at is I want to see stuff like that but Steelers and I want to be in the middle 1000's of Steeler fans
cheering on our team. I never backed down at any game I went to from cheering them on (KC got a little spooky) but sometimes you dont feel at ease doing so.

21 days and time will tell

SteelersHoss
08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Arkie, I hear ya on the excitement of your 1st home game. This is mine as well, I sae them play in Miami a few years ago, and man what a bunch of aweomse people. Are you tailgating with stlrs4life(Dom) at the Home opener. If you are, i will see u.

i am an idiot
08-17-2006, 04:43 PM
It's a beautiful thing. "That's all I gotta say about that".

Heinz Field on a Sunday home game is excellent.
hi im new

Mamaduck43
08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Here in Hawaii, team gear starts getting worn toward the end of the season and especially around the ProBowl.... It is kind of interesting to watch the play-off team jerseys showing up more and more as the season progresses.... The one constant is the number of folks wearing Steelers gear..... There was, of course, a big increase in fans as the BandWagon folks jumped on, but that's cool - - - they might learn something or decide to stick around.... I am in in Black and Gold year round... And it is neat to be walking in the mall or down the street and recognize a Steeler Shirt or Cap coming toward you..... There is always that eye contact and usually a "Hello" or "Aloha" and sometimes you end up in a big conversation about "The Team"........ I don't really notice other team gear after ProBowl, but perhaps that is because I am wired to see the Black 'n Gold.....

I did live back in the 'burgh a couple of times - - my ex was USAF and we moved alot.... I was fortunate enough to be there for our first SB victory - - Oh, how sweet that was.... I love to go shopping for Steeler stuff when I go back to visit - - - I walk into a team shop and the clerks fight over who is going to wait on me.... Ebay is also my friend.... :smile:

The Steeler Nation is a Phenomena that will never be duplicated - - - thank God!!!!

83-Steelers-43
08-18-2006, 01:08 AM
hi im new

Hello.

SteelersHoss
08-19-2006, 09:42 AM
You know it's funny. I have seen many Steelers fans up here in Canada, and i am always ready to chat about them etc.. But sometimes, the people look at me as if i have three eyes or something. My wife thinks i am funny, because i will talk to anyone with a Steelers piece of merchandise on, but sometimes they don't want to talk. Now, i have met many Americans with Steelers gear on, that always want to chat about the team..
I guess up here, it is all about Hockey and everything is Secondary. Maybe I should move to Pittsburgh, where i can be accepted and appreciated.

MyCuz64Furness
08-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Now, i have met many Americans with Steelers gear on, that always want to chat about the team..

I know what you mean.....I always talk to anybody I see with Steeler logos.....I work as a paramedic and last week ran a call on a guy......when I walked in his entire patio was done with Steelers items and paint........he had lights a babmboo bar that was painted a bunch of flags and all sorts of stuff......we talked about me going to the opener and after I dropped him off at the hospital he thanked me and said I knew I was with good people........:smile: :cool: