PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Pittsburg Steelers

effyou515
03-23-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ3DEiAJy9Y

imo the 78 Steelers were the best Steelers team ever. from the starters to the role players. in 79 with all the injuries to the starters you saw how well the role players filled in for the starters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pxppheKU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pxppheKU0

steelfury02
03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
with an h - this ain't no old civil war battlefield

Fire Arians
03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
in my lifetime, i think the 2001 steelers were the best overall from top to bottom. still bitter over losing to the patriots because of 2 special teams TD's that shouldn't have ever happened.

StainlessStill
03-23-2012, 01:11 PM
in my lifetime, i think the 2001 steelers were the best overall from top to bottom. still bitter over losing to the patriots because of 2 special teams TD's that shouldn't have ever happened.

Man, I agree with you 100%. That season was special and I believe we had what it took to go against St.Louis and own them that year. Opportunity thwarted, as was mostly the case in the Cowher years.

steeltheone
03-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Man, I agree with you 100%. That season was special and I believe we had what it took to go against St.Louis and own them that year. Opportunity thwarted, as was mostly the case in the Cowher years.
C'mon, no QB...be real...think Tomlin would have won with Stewart/

tanda10506
03-24-2012, 05:04 AM
C'mon, no QB...be real...think Tomlin would have won with Stewart/

Agreed, 01 was a good year but not close to the best team of even the 2000's. I don't know what the best Steelers team I have seen is, but IMO the 08 defense was the best defense I have ever seen. 2008 may have been the best team, at least since the 70's.

Rick5895
03-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Agreed, 01 was a good year but not close to the best team of even the 2000's. I don't know what the best Steelers team I have seen is, but IMO the 08 defense was the best defense I have ever seen. 2008 may have been the best team, at least since the 70's.

I have been a Steelers fan since I was 10 years old, (that makes me a fan since '72) The best team I have seen wear black and gold, didn't win the superbowl and it was the '76 team. By far the best Defense I have ever seen (over the last nine games pitching 4 shutouts and allowing only 27 points) and were it not for injuries to both Franco and Rocky in the playoffs we would have won our third in a row that year. As I have grown older and know the game better than I did when I was 14 year old kid, that only re-enforces my opinion.

4xSBChamps
03-24-2012, 05:46 AM
I have been a Steelers fan since I was 10 years old, (that makes me a fan since '72) The best team I have seen wear black and gold, didn't win the superbowl and it was the '76 team. By far the best Defense I have ever seen (over the last nine games pitching 4 shutouts and allowing only 27 points) and were it not for injuries to both Franco and Rocky in the playoffs we would have won our third in a row that year. As I have grown older and know the game better than I did when I was 14 year old kid, that only re-enforces my opinion.
I'm 3 years older than you, been watching the Steelers since '67, and have to agree with you about that 1976 team

if those 11 men had been assigned by the Germans to defend the Normandy shores in June 1944, Eisenhower would still be scratching his head

stb_steeler
03-24-2012, 09:07 AM

totally agree the 76 was the real deal....Some think 04 was prolly because of the 15-1 record....

FanSince72
03-24-2012, 09:28 AM

imo the 78 Steelers were the best Steelers team ever. from the starters to the role players. in 79 with all the injuries to the starters you saw how well the role players filled in for the starters.

100% agree!

In fact, the '78 Steelers earned me 20 bucks extra almost every week of the season.
This dope of a Giant fan used to come up to me every Friday at work and bet me 20 bucks that the Steelers would lose. He did that all season too!
I never figured out why he kept doing it (I guess he just had some sort of grudge against the Steelers)

Back then I was making a whopping 4 bucks an hour so that extra 20 came in handy!

mesaSteeler
03-24-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm 3 years older than you, been watching the Steelers since '67, and have to agree with you about that 1976 team

if those 11 men had been assigned by the Germans to defend the Normandy shores in June 1944, Eisenhower would still be scratching his head

Gotta agree. I've also been watching the Steelers since 67 and the 1976 team was just unreal. Opposing teams had nightmares about playing that Steelers defense.

4xSBChamps
03-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I seem to recall how the season-finale ended that year against the Broncos

Pittsburgh had already secured home-field throughout the playoffs, and played a meaningless game at Mile High, jumping to a 21-0 lead at half-time against the team that would be their 1st round opponent

Denver scored a TD, then a FG, then another TD with almost no-time left on the clock, as Pittsburgh rested it's starters from the defense:
I think the Broncos recovered the onside kick, then the Steelers were called for PI in the endzone, setting-up a last play at the 1 yardline

most of the starters jumped off the bench and rushed onto the field en-masse, to stuff the Broncos on the last play from scrimmage, just to show Denver who was boss

2 weeks later at Three Rivers, Pittsburgh treated Denver like the only female on a pirate ship during a year-long cruise, beating them by 20+ points in a game that wasn't even THAT close

can somebody verify that story for me?

4xSBChamps
03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
the 1976 team was just unreal. Opposing teams had nightmares about playing that Steelers defense.

I recall the Steelers having huge leads in the 3rd quarter, and Noll would go for it on 4th & 5, in-attempt to keep the score from getting TOO outta-hand & keep the clocking turning~ the problem was the opposition couldn't stop Harris or Bleier on a simple off-tackle, the Steelers would gain 8 yards & move the chains, and retain possession of the football!!!

:chuckle:

FrancoLambert
03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
76 over 78 by a (defensive) nose.
At that time (76) I was sure we were going to the Bowl and sure of winning it.
For a team built on defense, that defense was our best.
The injuries to Franco and Rocky shattered that dream. :crying01:

effyou515
03-25-2012, 02:45 PM
I have to agree the 76 defense was the best and in their prime and if not for the injuries to Franco and Rocky the Steelers would have three in a row superbowls.