PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm a youngin tell me about older football" thread

Blackout
03-24-2012, 10:27 PM
I was lucky enough to watch a '79 Steelers footage reel today on the NFL channel and I have a question to ask.

Has football seriously gotten much less brutal today than it was in the past? It just seemed like there was alot more hard hitting tackles and the NFL didn't really frown upon it.

Why the change? Is the NFL under Goodell trying to take away alot of the violent aspects of football?

Or am I wrong?

4xSBChamps
03-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Is the NFL under Goodell trying to take away alot of the violent aspects of football?

Ms. Goodell is like the college professor or career-politician, who thinks he is smart-enough to pick up a turd bare-handed by the clean-end, without getting dirty

Ricco Suavez
03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I was a young man of 20 in 1978, so I lived during those glory years of hard hitting Steeler football. As far as Goodell is concerned, I believe the idea of making the game safer is noble and just but I also believe that is not what fuels Goodell.

Its pretty much documented that the type of hits and play of the earlier years leads to a higher percentage of brain disorders. Illegal hits DO need to be monitored and outlawed, there is no place in the game for "cheap" shots. I love great defense, I love big hits, a part of the game and if done right usually no lasting affects. Head shots, spearing, blatant late hits, and horse collars have no place in the game.

My problem with Goodell and his way of controlling these type of hits is that they are not consistent, they seem to focus on a few notable players like James Harrison and he is targeted for calls even when the situation does not call for it, then other hits like Ray Ray's hit on Ward goes unnoticed during the game. Head shots are not taken into consideration for just how much the offensive player brings his head area into target position by lowering it at the last second. They look at slo mo and think players can alter their angle of attack at the last second, being blocked into other players is not a factor anymore if it is a QB below the waist (Brady rule).
Goodell comes across as a hypocrite when he plugs for a 18 game schedule and talks safety. He lies that this is what fans want when in reality his bosses want more revenue.

Besides levying fines with no real way to appeal (he basically resides over those with his little henchman) no way to appeal hits that label you a repeat offender. Besides holding Sean Payton to a higher standard than his buddy in New England. Suspending players for accusations while allowing others who have been arrested allowed to continue to play all this leads me to believe he is two faced and a puppet for the owners.

In short while entertaining as it was when real men tackled in the NFL, time has come to at least try to make it safer. I just think Goodell is doing it the wrong way.

Blackout
03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
LOL 4xSB

Thanks for the post Ricco. Does Goodell have some personal ties with Belicheck or Kraft? Why is he more lenient on the Patriots?

JPPT1974
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Ms. Goodell is like the college professor or career-politician, who thinks he is smart-enough to pick up a turd bare-handed by the clean-end, without getting dirty

That made me laugh. You need to be a comedian. LOL! Good one on Goodell!:tt04::tt04:

stb_steeler
03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
I was lucky enough to watch a '79 Steelers footage reel today on the NFL channel and I have a question to ask.

Has football seriously gotten much less brutal today than it was in the past? It just seemed like there was alot more hard hitting tackles and the NFL didn't really frown upon it.

Why the change? Is the NFL under Goodell trying to take away alot of the violent aspects of football?

Or am I wrong?

To bad you werent around for the days of Steeler/Raider football of the 70's.
Do your self a favor an get the DVD set of Steelers, you'll see what you really missed.

4xSBChamps
03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Do your self a favor an get the DVD set of Steelers, you'll see what you really missed.
... and you'll see how today's product is a watered-down version of what the game used-to be...

Blackout
03-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Which DVD set is that?

dbsfgyd1
03-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I started watching football in the early 60s. Guys like Sam Huff, John Henry Johnson, Mike Ditka, Btkus, Karas, Artie Donavan... Big Daddy Lipscome...Bednerik didn't wear a face mask. If iyou think the 70s were brutal.....

From the beginning do the 60s to now two things have drastically changed. Players today are so much bigger, in better overal condition, and way faster, especially the big guys. When you have that amount of inertial, the rules have to change.

NFL films have a lot of video on the market. I have the Steeler Superbowl set, Road to XL, and some personal recordings of a game here and there.

silver & black
04-06-2012, 06:45 PM

I was. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM
it must have been tough for you watching the raiders fail 5 times in one decade... were the 2 superbowl wins enough to cover up that stench of being a 5 time bridesmaid ? :chuckle:

MACH1
04-07-2012, 12:45 AM
it must have been tough for you watching the raiders fail 5 times in one decade... were the 2 superbowl wins enough to cover up that stench of being a 5 time bridesmaid ? :chuckle:

If you really want to get under his skin coughcoughtuckcough.
:sofunny:

4xSBChamps
04-07-2012, 04:53 AM

I hated the Raiders (and especially Oakland Al & his antics) as-much-as the next guy, but 30 years later, I won't hold a grudge against one of their fans who is knowledgeable & polite on our site:
those were some great Oakland teams that probably would've won numerous Lombardi Trophies (Was in '72, Min in '74, Dal in '75) had they beaten Pittsburgh

stb_steeler
04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
... and you'll see how today's product is a watered-down version of what the game used-to be...

YEPPER.....:wink02:

stb_steeler
04-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Which DVD set is that?

History of the Steelers, Greatest games 5 disc set.

silver & black
04-16-2012, 07:11 PM
If you really want to get under his skin coughcoughtuckcough.
:sofunny:

Ya know, that's the one that still sticks in my craw the most. I've gotten over the losses of the 70's........ even the Immaculate Deception :wink02:, but the tuck game still pisses me off! :mad:

4xSBChamps
04-16-2012, 07:23 PM
... the tuck game still pisses me off!

you, and 99% of the public who thought they 'knew' the rules, until they had to be changed to fit the outcome

FanSince72
04-24-2012, 06:41 AM

I was too!

But my fondest memory of the Raiders wasn't the team, but the way Howard Cosell would introduce the Oak-Land-Al-a-meed-a-Count-y-Col-iss-eum on Monday Night Football.

Speaking of MNF, the 70's were great because back then it only took five minutes for Frank, Don & Howard to introduce themselves and the game before they actually started playing (not like the half-hour of crap they have today).

In the late 70's I was working nights and living at home so Mom would whip up a quick dinner for 9:00 pm and with my job only a mile or two from home, I'd race home on a Monday, get in the door by 9:05 turn on the game and eat dinner. By the time I was finished, they almost played the entire first quarter and I'd listen on the radio on my way back to work.

I remember one game where we were playing some stiffs and we scored twice during dinner and once on the way back to work and we were up by 21 by the time I punched back in from my dinner break.

Those were the days!

4xSBChamps
04-24-2012, 07:57 AM
the 70's were great because back then it only took five minutes for Frank, Don & Howard to introduce themselves and the game before they actually started playing (not like the half-hour of crap they have today).

today, the League is all-about hype, usually glamorizing hits from yesteryear, which are now currently ver-boten

I recall Jow Willie Namath, speaking before a Super Bowl in the early 1970's, and when asked 'what is the most -surprising thing about this Super Bowl?', he replied
"that the pre-game show went from 30 minutes last year to a full hour this year...
... it's a simple football game... what is there to talk-about?"

his co-hosts were shocked at his honest answer