PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the brain?

Big D
07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_462260.html

nicesteel4life
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
WELL.....It's a Opinion. But I bet you it gets him no tickets to any games this year. The writer basically doesn't understand Bens FREE Spirit. Ben is protected by Art Rooney, He was sent down with the lords #7, just when we needed him. You cant take away his Free Spirit or you take away Ben....By the way the writer of that article needs FIRED!!!! Why do people want him to change his view.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Personally, I didn't buy the excuse when I heard it. He had also stated in the past that when he rides, he rides with a group. He keeps stating that if it was "the law" to wear a helmet in this state that he would have. Yet he wasn't permitted "by law" to be on the bike in the first place in this state.

Put the bike down.

Big D
07-18-2006, 09:56 AM
I just think that ben has taken way to much of a beating in the media for his accident. To not put on a helmet was a choice. Last I checked we as americans do have the right to make any choices within reason. We all make mistakes on a daily basis hell i already made a mistake this morning not putting the toilet seat down. I think its time the media and fans put bens accident to rest

Big D
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Personally, I didn't buy the excuse when I heard it. He had also stated in the past that when he rides, he rides with a group. He keeps stating that if it was "the law" to wear a helmet in this state that he would have. Yet he wasn't permitted "by law" to be on the bike in the first place in this state.

Put the bike down.
I agree and since he had a learning permit he had to wear a helmet by law. I too think he should put the bike down until he retires

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
He does have that "choice". But expect to take heat when you were warmed by many people, including your head coach and a team has a large investment in you. In my opinion he deserves all the heat he's getting. He put himself in this situation and I'm hoping he learns from it. Since he has not ruled out getting back on the bike, I have to wonder.

Big D
07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
You can expect when his contract is negotiated that there will be specific language in the contract about the bike

nicesteel4life
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
You forget Big D.....Drama Sells Papers, Magazines and Shows
Your toilet seat problem only gets you a wet ass or a pissed wife.
:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
You can expect when his contract is negotiated that there will be specific language in the contract about the bike

I hope brother. I hope.

I still shake my head when I hear certain people in the local and national media along with fans state "He should wear a helmet". Once again I ask...........how does wearing a helmet protect your spine, legs and arms?

Big D
07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
You forget Big D.....Drama Sells Papers, Magazines and Shows
Your toilet seat problem only gets you a wet ass or a pissed wife.
:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:
haha hense my problem this morning. Good point although i dont want to see any memeber of the steelers on the front cover of us weekly. This is a football team not a soap opera.

Big D
07-18-2006, 10:05 AM
I hope brother. I hope.

I still shake my head when I hear certain people in the local and national media along with fans state "He should wear a helmet". Once again I ask...........how does wearing a helmet protect your spine, legs and arms?
good point. I think jay williams needs to talk to ben about what riding a bike can do to a career

Ambridge
07-18-2006, 10:18 AM
It's amazing that after what happened to him that it appears that Ben still just doesn't
"Get it".

Youth, ignorance and stupidity can be a bad trio.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
It's amazing that after what happened to him that it appears that Ben still just doesn't
"Get it".

Youth, ignorance and stupidity can be a bad trio.

I agree completely.

Keep in mind I respect Ben as an athlete. I'm not busting on the kid, but between the "I'll do what I want when I want" type of attitude and the excuse making afterwards makes me shake my head.

Yeah, I get it. Ben is a dare devil. That's great. But maybe, just maybe he might want to start thinking about the organization as a whole instead of himself. I'm praying this is a maturing process and that he will snap out of it and realize that it's not always about what he wants but what's good for the team and the franchise.

Big D
07-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Do you think ben would sign a contract that states he under no circumstances can ride a bike

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Do you think ben would sign a contract that states he under no circumstances can ride a bike

After stating that he's not ruling out riding a bike in the future after what occcured, that's a hard question to answer.

Big D
07-18-2006, 11:56 AM
what would worry me is if he would go home and sign with the browns

Haiku_Dirtt
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM

Put the bike down.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing than BS - helmet in the basement and bike in the garage. Hmmm. Whatever Ben.

Art II is probably going to allow Ben to 'save face' and jam the motorcycle clause into Steinbergh's lap. That way Ben can say "I would ride but the Rooney's won't let me."

Then the whole issue goes away for the rest of the decade. Dude is getting a $50-100 million contract. The Rooney's would be negligent not to protect the employee from harming the company. And we all know the how the Rooney's operate.

Big D
07-18-2006, 05:14 PM
I just think it's piss poor someone from the pittsburgh media would write crap like this

augustashark
07-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Ben, just buy a freaking Hummer already!!!!!!!! Let the bike thing go until your ready to ride off into the sunset! Geez.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Why cant Ben ride a bike.....
Just because he plays football doesnt mean he should live in a bubble.
Hes 24 yrs old........rich and famous and really has no responsibilities outside of his job, which happens to be football.....
I dont think anyone reading this would want to change their life and avoid doing the hobbies they enjoy to do either by themselves or with family only because of their job.

The only thing Ben did wrong was not have a licence to ride.
Its stupid to even talk about the accident anymore.......Motorcycles are dangerous.but not illegal..Hes not going out and beating up his girlfriends.....and getting arrested for stupid childish behavior.......

I hope Ben is our QB until the day he retires and i dont think he should have to change the way he lives to do so....

RoethlisBURGHer
07-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I think the writer of this article just used the unfortunate accident to get up on a soap box and preach and talk about how he's a better person the Ben Roethlisberger just because he doesn't ride a motorcycle.

What Ben did was stupid and a mistake,yes.But this guy can't say he never did something stupid or made a mistake.Technically he wasn't legal to ride the bike or to not have the helmet on.But how many people drive a car with an invalid liscense and without a seatbelt?Is this guy going to chastize these people to?

Maybe people need to be chastized for not looking out for motorcycles before making a turn.If the woman that hit Ben would have actually been paying attention,we wouldn't even be talking about this.The truth is,accident-wise,Ben was not at fault so people need to stop blaming him for the accident.

Ben said the helmet was in his basement,well it might have been.

Ben said he may or may not ride again.That's not an excuse,that's the truth.He truly doesn't know.He did say however that if he does ever ride again,it will be WITH a helmet.

If this guy doesn't want the kids he doesn't have to have Ben as a role model,that's fine...maybe he prefers Ray Lewis,Jamal Lewis,Frostee Rucker,AJ Nicholson,Sean Taylor,or one of the other thug players in the NFL.I'd rather have my little girl looking up to Big Ben.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Why cant Ben ride a bike.....
Just because he plays football doesnt mean he should live in a bubble.
Hes 24 yrs old........rich and famous and really has no responsibilities outside of his job, which happens to be football.....
I dont think anyone reading this would want to change their life and avoid doing the hobbies they enjoy to do either by themselves or with family only because of their job.

The only thing Ben did wrong was not have a licence to ride.
Its stupid to even talk about the accident anymore.......Motorcycles are dangerous.but not illegal..Hes not going out and beating up his girlfriends.....and getting arrested for stupid childish behavior.......

I hope Ben is our QB until the day he retires and i dont think he should have to change the way he lives to do so....

Who said anything about putting the kid in a bubble?

I don't think the kid should put the bike down simply because he plays football, I think the kid should put the bike down because this franchise has a huge chunk of cash invested in him.

You don't think anybody reading this thread would want to change their life and avoid doing the hobbies they enjoy because of their job? Speak for yourself. If I were in Ben's situation and my boss came up to me and told me to put the bike away until your retired you damn well better believe I would put the bike down. For two reasons, I could end up smashing my face into a windshield and almost killing myself or becoming a vegetable and the other reason would be out of pure respect for my coach, team and the organization as a whole.

Nobody ever stated that it's against the law to ride a motorcycle, just that it's against the law to ride one minus a license. Ben riding the bike to begin with goes back to my comments pertaining to respecting the organization. At times it's good to put your own personal wants and needs on the back burner, wake up and look at the big picture.

You hope Ben is our QB until he retires? Don't we all?

SteelerMurf
07-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I can tell Ben's personality has not changed from this accident. I like that for his football career cause I feared he would be a little timid.

The only people that will be able to convince him to not ride or ride without a helmet is his family...........take that back:dang: , he needs to find a girlfriend or a wife to tell him what to do. That will fix it for good.

83-Steelers-43
07-18-2006, 10:38 PM
The only people that will be able to convince him to not ride or ride without a helmet is his family...........take that back:dang: , he needs to find a girlfriend or a wife to tell him what to do. That will fix it for good.

What he needs is a contract that states his butt is not premitted to touch a motorcyle seat until he's retired.

Big D
07-19-2006, 08:30 AM
What he needs is a contract that states his butt is not premitted to touch a motorcyle seat until he's retired.
and i wouldnt be surprised if he the steelers werent puttting sometime of claus together right now that specifies dangerous activitys. Whether it be riding motorcycles,jet skis or even skiing or snow boarding

HometownGal
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't think the kid should put the bike down simply because he plays football, I think the kid should put the bike down because this franchise has a huge chunk of cash invested in him.

I couldn't have said it any better. The Rooneys have every right to want to protect their investment, as any other good business person or corporation would do.

meanjoecoop
07-19-2006, 09:51 AM

Then he would probably get into something else...like bungee jumping :smile:

Big D
07-19-2006, 09:55 AM
and i wouldnt be surprised if he the steelers werent puttting sometime of claus together right now that specifies dangerous activitys. Whether it be riding motorcycles,jet skis or even skiing or snow boarding
thats why i said this

meanjoecoop
07-19-2006, 10:09 AM

yep, it would have to be all inclusive or he'd find a loop hole.

nicesteel4life
07-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Well I am glad alot of you arent my boss.....
I still make my own decisions becuase life is way to short.....

So I suppose that every investment made by the Steelers since 1933 has been protected?
So I suppose they have never lost on any?
Comon folks.....The Steelers already got there original investment back with Ben
How many Items have been sold? How many Dreams have been filled?

YES..The Rooney's have every right to protect there Investment.
It's not in his contract, so let it go!
We all have an opinion, but would ya rather have Tommy back?

BUT, If you invest Millions in the stocks, can you protect your investment? NOT Completely.......
Sure is easy for many to say "Put it in" "He would Find a Loop" "It would have to be exclusive"
Remember just becuase you choose a living, NO MAN or WOMAN owns YOU....Slavery was abolished for good reason. FREEDOM OF CHOICE....

9 DAYS and it's Time to start working on REPEAT!

Big D
07-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Well I am glad alot of you arent my boss.....
I still make my own decisions becuase life is way to short.....

So I suppose that every investment made by the Steelers since 1933 has been protected?
So I suppose they have never lost on any?
Comon folks.....The Steelers already got there original investment back with Ben
How many Items have been sold? How many Dreams have been filled?

YES..The Rooney's have every right to protect there Investment.
It's not in his contract, so let it go!
We all have an opinion, but would ya rather have Tommy back?

BUT, If you invest Millions in the stocks, can you protect your investment? NOT Completely.......

9 DAYS and it's Time to start working on REPEAT!
I have to tell you nice steel that i've been a major sport bike rider for the past 8 years. My love for my bike is about as equal to the love for my wife. However if I had a job where 23 million dollars was on the line i would burn the bike down

nicesteel4life
07-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I have to tell you nice steel that i've been a major sport bike rider for the past 8 years. My love for my bike is about as equal to the love for my wife. However if I had a job where 23 million dollars was on the line i would burn the bike down

Agree! I probably would as well.....
But CHOICE is a Freedom
But if you were a millionaire would you change who you are?

Big D
07-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I dont think that it would kill ben to give up this hobby for 8-10 years. The steelers arent asking him to change who he is. Just to get rid of the bike for awhile. Its not like they are asking a gay man to turn straight

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2006, 11:27 AM

They did not have to be protected. Example: Terry Bradshaw. Drove up in his brand new corvet, Rooney Sr. walked up to him and told him he didn't want to see him in that car until he's retired. Ever since that day you saw Terry driving a pickup truck around the city of Pittsburgh. Could he have "chosen" to be a bonehead and prove that he's not "owned" by the Steelers? Sure. Could his ego have gotten in the way? Sure. But out of respect he put the car away and ended up winning four Super Bowls in this city. Unfortunately, respect is lacking in today's sporting world. Big heads are taking over to a degree.

Once again, nobody is stating he doesn't have the "CHOICE" or the "FREEDOM" to ride a bike. It's called respecting your management. Putting your own needs or in this case, need aside in order to do what's good for the team. It's not as if the Rooney's or the fan's are breaking down Ben's door like the Nazi SS and telling him not to leave the house or he will be shot on site execution style.

My main point here. It has nothing to do with "choice" or "freedoms", it has to do with respect for your employer.

Big D
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
and a corvette is alot safer then a bike. He is a leader and he needs to start setting examples

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I dont think that it would kill ben to give up this hobby for 8-10 years. The steelers arent asking him to change who he is. Just to get rid of the bike for awhile. Its not like they are asking a gay man to turn straight

Well stated. Big D, you put everything I wanted to state in two sentences. I tend to rant..lol.

nicesteel4life
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I agree with both of your points....But it's truly his choice and we will still be watchng every Sunday so let it lye....Reps for all!!!!!

Big D
07-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Well stated. Big D, you put everything I wanted to state in two sentences. I tend to rant..lol.
yeah i cant tend to be good with words. In my own sick and twisted way

Ambridge
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
They did not have to be protected. Example: Terry Bradshaw. Drove up in his brand new corvet, Rooney Sr. walked up to him and told him he didn't want to see him in that car until he's retired. Ever since that day you saw Terry driving a pickup truck around the city of Pittsburgh. Could he have "chosen" to be a bonehead and prove that he's not "owned" by the Steelers? Sure. Could his ego have gotten in the way? Sure. But out of respect he put the car away and ended up winning four Super Bowls in this city. Unfortunately, respect is lacking in today's sporting world. Big heads are taking over to a degree.

Once again, nobody is stating he doesn't have the "CHOICE" or the "FREEDOM" to ride a bike. It's called respecting your management. Putting your own needs or in this case, need aside in order to do what's good for the team. It's not as if the Rooney's or the fan's are breaking down Ben's door like the Nazi SS and telling him not to leave the house or he will be shot on site execution style.

My main point here. It has nothing to do with "choice" or "freedoms", it has to do with respect for your employer.

Right on the money my friend.

I stated earlier that Ben doesn't seem to "Get It"............it's obvious that some of the fans don't "Get It" either.

Big D
07-19-2006, 04:43 PM
as i've said before i'm a die hard sport bike rider. But i would put the bike down to make 100,000 a year. I think ben needs to be in my shoes for a day. You know the average american making 60 k a year. Arriving in the office late as usual showing up around 9 loggin onto the steelers fever. Surf the web until noon, go to lunch get back a half hour late. Log back onto steeler fever, surf the web and leave work 10 minutes early

nicesteel4life
07-20-2006, 02:05 AM
I get it!!! I just say we cant knock it....It's a choice, just like it is to Post. I feel that it's part of Bens Game....If you change him he just might become a Brownie. I dont agree with it entirely, but I cant knock his decision.

HometownGal
07-20-2006, 08:36 AM
I get it!!! I just say we cant knock it....It's a choice, just like it is to Post. I feel that it's part of Bens Game....If you change him he just might become a Brownie. I dont agree with it entirely, but I cant knock his decision.

I think we are possibly putting the cart ahead of the horse here. He didn't say (in any interview I've read or saw anyway) that he was defintely going to get on the bike again or was definitely not going to wear a helmet. When all is said and done, we can speculate until the cows come home on what he is or isn't going to do, but ultimately the decision is his. Illnesses, accidents and near death experiences can change a person's whole outlook on life and cause him/her to change their priorities around. With an accident such as Ben's which could have not only been career threatening but life threatening, as well, (and wasn't, thank God) I tend to believe he is going to re-think his position on the entire motorcycle/helmet issue long and hard. I don't think he wants to test fate again any time soon. As he said in his recent interview, his focus right now is getting into tip-top shape for the upcoming season which is where his focus belongs.

nicesteel4life
07-20-2006, 09:38 AM
I think we are possibly putting the cart ahead of the horse here. He didn't say (in any interview I've read or saw anyway) that he was defintely going to get on the bike again or was definitely not going to wear a helmet. When all is said and done, we can speculate until the cows come home on what he is or isn't going to do, but ultimately the decision is his. Illnesses, accidents and near death experiences can change a person's whole outlook on life and cause him/her to change their priorities around. With an accident such as Ben's which could have not only been career threatening but life threatening, as well, (and wasn't, thank God) I tend to believe he is going to re-think his position on the entire motorcycle/helmet issue long and hard. I don't think he wants to test fate again any time soon. As he said in his recent interview, his focus right now is getting into tip-top shape for the upcoming season which is where his focus belongs.

Exactly!!!! I totally Agree. All I have been saying is it's his choice, and saying "He dont get it" is totally wrong. He gets it alright, He was in the Pain......but It's still his choice and we will still fill the Stadium and enjoy.

Big D
07-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I think its time the media and fans to start letting all the ben motorcycle drama come to a end

nicesteel4life
07-20-2006, 09:47 AM
I think its time the media and fans to start letting all the ben motorcycle drama come to a end

Couldn't agree more, but you & 83-Steelers-43 (both whom I respect greatly) keep saying He is Stupid, basically, if he CHOICES to ride again. Sorry but thats a choice. Maybe we dont agree, Maybe we wouldn't, but were not Ben or Have million $$ Contracts so we cant judge..Only God does that. Freedom of choice.

Big D
07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
You said it best yesterday to just agree to disagree. I dont think ben is stupid just extreamly arrogant. I hope he realizes soon his sh!t stinks like everyone else

83-Steelers-43
07-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Couldn't agree more, but you & 83-Steelers-43 (both whom I respect greatly) keep saying He is Stupid, basically, if he CHOICES to ride again. Sorry but thats a choice. Maybe we dont agree, Maybe we wouldn't, but were not Ben or Have million $$ Contracts so we cant judge..Only God does that. Freedom of choice.

Yeah ummm, for the record I never called Ben "stupid" nor do I recall Big D calling Ben "stupid".

HometownGal
07-20-2006, 12:35 PM

AMEN! :smile: Ben appears to want to move on and concentrate on the upcoming season. I think we should all do the same - we're coming off of an amazing and exciting SB season and I want to continue riding that high into this season. :cool:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
You said it best yesterday to just agree to disagree. I dont think ben is stupid just extreamly arrogant. I hope he realizes soon his sh!t stinks like everyone else

You mean....my............like everyone?........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

nicesteel4life
07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
For the record as well. I said stupid "BASICALLY" wasen't trying to be offensive. Sorry, but the just of the conversation was you guys think Ben thinks he is above life, football, rooney's, money. I as a simple working man would call that Stupid. Please dont think I was thinking negative of anybody.

Ambridge
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
I referred to Ben as being young, ignorant and stupid and I will whole heartedly stand by that if he decides to ride motorcycles either with or without a helmet while he still has an active NFL career.

To throw out a blanket statement that it's "Ben's Choice" and "Who are we to judge" would be asking people and fans of common sense and reasonable intelligence to turn a blind eye to something that is very non-sensical and foolish.
Besides, it's really not about a "Choice", what it boils down to is using sound judgement and making intelligent decisions and Ben chooses to be dumb then he should be called out for it. :cool: