PDA

View Full Version : No chance Mewelde comes back?

LayingTheWoodley56
03-28-2012, 10:02 AM
It seems that bringing Mewelde back isn't even something that is really being discussed. I for one have always felt that he is an excellent backup and third-down back who has contributed his share of plays over the last four seasons. He has especially been good out of the backfield. With our questionable depth at running back, why isn't bringing him back at a one-year vet. min. or something a bad option?

GMU Steeler
03-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I like Mewelde but he's on the wrong side of 30. Better to see what Batch and a possible draftee with upside can do. He'll be missed. He wasn't a star but he was one of those role players that every good team likes to have.

LVSteelersfan
03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I've always thought Moore was a great player but the Steelers did not use him right the past couple years in my opinion. They kept trying to bring him is as the feature back on about every 3rd or 4th series even when Mendenhall was going strong. That irritated me every time it happened. He is not a feature back. He is a pretty good third down back.

Fire Arians
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
moore is a good player but he's slowed down considerably. baron batch went through a successful rehab and is ready to practice, and I was told to not sleep on CSPANN lol.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Moore might be back, I personally think we have better options at RB that need some time, carries and experience. I hope Moore is not back for that reason.

Millers the sh!t
03-28-2012, 12:20 PM
I've always liked Moore. Solid like a rock. Always comes through when needed and definitely came through big time when Mendy was out his rookie season from Ray Ray.

tony hipchest
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
yesterday on sirius MTC colbert did state that moore is someone they'd like to bring back. which leads me to think if he'll accept vet min, he will likely be back for competition.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2012, 09:02 AM
yesterday on sirius MTC colbert did state that moore is someone they'd like to bring back. which leads me to think if he'll accept vet min, he will likely be back for competition.

So if he does come back for minumum. Redman, Moore, Dwyer and Batch. With maybe Clay on the P/S and Mendenhall on IR. Nothing stellar, but definately serviceable I think.

I still dont see the need for a high draft pick to be spent on a RB, but that means the Steelers probably will. (along with another OLB prospect)

ANDYMISIU
03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Yea, I agree with what some others have said. Moore hasn't really been a factor over the past 2 years, I think he's reached a period where each year is a significant fall off in talent. I personally don't want to see Moore back, because it means we're not progressing well at the position.

steelerchad
03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
So if he does come back for minumum. Redman, Moore, Dwyer and Batch. With maybe Clay on the P/S and Mendenhall on IR. Nothing stellar, but definately serviceable I think.

I still dont see the need for a high draft pick to be spent on a RB, but that means the Steelers probably will. (along with another OLB prospect)

I don't see the need for a high draft pick at RB ever again. They are the most expendable players on the field now days. Most teams go with a stable of backs rather than a feature back anyway. Passing has taken over the league, plus RB's only last a few years and then they're done. They get injured all the time from the pounding they take. They take the biggest beating and make the least money in the league. That should show you how most teams value the position.
The running game is more about the commitment to it and the line in front of the back. We were as good or better at running the ball with undrafted Willie Parker as we were with 1st rounder Mendenhall. Not a knock on Mendy, it's just not the focus of this team anymore.

tanda10506
03-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Haven't seen too many people say this or agree with me when I have but I want to see a lot more of Clay. We haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion, but with that size he could be the next Bettis.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't see the need for a high draft pick at RB ever again. They are the most expendable players on the field now days. Most teams go with a stable of backs rather than a feature back anyway. Passing has taken over the league, plus RB's only last a few years and then they're done. They get injured all the time from the pounding they take. They take the biggest beating and make the least money in the league. That should show you how most teams value the position.
The running game is more about the commitment to it and the line in front of the back. We were as good or better at running the ball with undrafted Willie Parker as we were with 1st rounder Mendenhall. Not a knock on Mendy, it's just not the focus of this team anymore.

I agree. Its why I cant understand the mocks that have us taking a RB in the 2nd round. We have what we need and most teams have a RB by committee system anyways that we should also use.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Haven't seen too many people say this or agree with me when I have but I want to see a lot more of Clay. We haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion, but with that size he could be the next Bettis.

I really liked him as a college freshman and soph, but he doesnt have the feet that Bettis did. Clay is a downhill runner that reads his blocks and hits the hole. He is kind of Redman with less wiggle.

I like Clay, but really he is the same kind of back as Redman and Dwyer.......but dare I say runs tougher than Dwyer.

Bayz101
03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't think we've seen enough of any of our young backs, excluding Redman, to form an opinion. I'm very excited about Baron Batch.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think we've seen enough of any of our young backs, excluding Redman, to form an opinion. I'm very excited about Baron Batch.

I saw enough Georgia tech and Wisconsin games to have a decent understanding of what Dwyer and Clay can do. I didn't see as much of Batch, but what I can remember is he runs strong for a small guy and finishes his runs well weth good forward lean.

Dwyer runs softer than Batch did.

Darthslayrr
03-30-2012, 07:33 AM
He won't be back Clark wants his number, remember?