PDA

View Full Version : M Night Shyamalan

Jeremy
07-18-2006, 10:55 AM
I was just reading a little about him last night and I found out he only uses Pennsylvania locations to shoot his films. A little love for my home state. Pretty cool in my book.

Ambridge
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I like Shyamalan's stuff, especially The Sixth Sense and Signs but thought The Village was bit of a disappointment.

I hope The Lady in the Water is a good one.

BAS
07-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah... he's big into promoting the hometown as a filming location. He grew up in Philadelphia, so 6th Sense and unbreakable took place there, while Signs and The Village I believe were filmed in Lancaster.

The only problem I have with him right now is he's created a formula for introducing some surprising twist to occur. Not so much with Signs, but I sat through The Village just waiting for the surprise as opposed to appreciating the movie.

j-dawg
07-18-2006, 11:59 AM
yep, i'd rate his films as this... unbreakable, sixth sense, signs, the village.

Jeremy
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
I just think it's cool that he's not a Hollywood kind of guy. And he's showing a little love to Pennsylvania.

Hawk Believer
07-18-2006, 11:55 PM
The thing I appreciate about Shymalan is that his style is so distinctive and consistant throughout his movies. Its kinda like there are only a couple guitar players that when you hear them play a song you've never heard, you can still know who is playing: Hendrix, BB King, Santana... Or else someone is just flat out imitating them. I think the same of his flicks.

I guess there is always a foreboding dark mood to his movies that is communicated really well.

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2006, 01:38 AM
"The Village"............. now there's eight bucks and two hours of my life that I would like to have back. Absolutely horrible movie. He dropped the ball when he decided to make that movie. The rest of his movies I've enjoyed, but after watching "The Village" I think I'm going to wait until "Lady in the Water" comes out on DVD.

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2006, 01:52 AM
I was just reading a little about him last night and I found out he only uses Pennsylvania locations to shoot his films. A little love for my home state. Pretty cool in my book.

Also, for what it's worth.......

During "The Sixth Sense" there was a filming location that took place in Illinois.

During "The Village" there were filming locations in both New Jersey and Delaware.

During "Signs" there were filming locations in the UK and New York.

Indy_Steelers
03-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I liked The Village. It was Lady In The Water that was bad.

83-Steelers-43
03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, rented "Lady in the Water" and it was just as bad as "The Village". No more M. Night Shyamalan for me.

I'll stick with Scorsese. Can't go wrong there.

MasterOfPuppets
03-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, rented "Lady in the Water" and it was just as bad as "The Village". No more M. Night Shyamalan for me.

I'll stick with Scorsese. Can't go wrong there.
bad is an understatement it was a pile of :poop:

Suitanim
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
I think Hawk nailed it best...he's a one trick pony, but he's a damned good one trick pony.

I was watching a show called "Dinner for 5" on IFC (which is nothing more than John Favreau having dinner with a group of indie film icons while the camera rolls) and Roger Corman was one of the dinner guests. He made formulaic B movie horror flicks (hundreds and hundreds of them), and his recipe for success is no different than M Nights: Each film will gross less than the last, but as long as each film makes money, you're good.

Anyway and redundantly:

1. Sixth sense
2. Unbreakable
3. Signs
4. The Village
5. Lady in the Water

83-Steelers-43
03-28-2007, 09:57 PM
1. Sixth sense
2. Unbreakable

And that's where it stopped for me. The guy keeps going at this rate and he might want to start thinking about a 9-5.

Suitanim
03-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Aw, Signs wasn't that bad...it was better written than 90% of the movies they are releasing nowadays...

83-Steelers-43
03-30-2007, 09:16 PM
it was better written than 90% of the movies they are releasing nowadays...

True, at the same time that's not saying much....lol.

Suitanim
03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
True, at the same time that's not saying much....lol.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was typing the response...

83-Steelers-43
03-31-2007, 09:47 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing as I was typing the response...

Suit, have you seen the Good Sheperd? It's coming out on Tuesday and was wondering if you or anybody else saw it. Looks great.

Suitanim
04-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Nope, but I heard it was a great flick.