PDA

View Full Version : On The Steelers: Offense will play by the (new) book

mesaSteeler
03-29-2012, 08:11 AM
On The Steelers: Offense will play by the (new) book
March 29, 2012 12:00 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-offense-will-play-by-the-new-book-628653/?p=0

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Ben Roethlisberger has a new coordinator, a new playbook and a new language to speak Steelers offense with his teammates.

At age 30, Roethlisberger must learn a completely new system for the first time in his nine-year career. How he takes to that task could signal the success or failure of Todd Haley in Pittsburgh.

Since his rookie season in 2004, Roethlisberger has had nothing but a succession of in-house coordinators -- Ken Whisenhunt and Bruce Arians -- each of whom maintained the offense of his predecessor with some modifications.

Haley will throw out Arians' playbook in favor of his own, with one concession: He will keep line coach Sean Kugler's blocking schemes.:applaudit::tt04::applaudit::tt04::applaud it::tt04::applaudit::tt04::applaudit:

Such a move with a new offensive coordinator helped quicken Chuck Noll's retirement as a coach. He hired Joe Walton as offensive coordinator in 1990 and Walton installed his offense, which included new terminology. Quarterback Bubby Brister did not embrace the change and that filtered down to his teammates and ultimately led to a dysfunctional offense, and, after two seasons, Noll retired rather than make another change at the coordinator's spot.

Haley's new offense needs Roethlisberger's total commitment, and head coach Mike Tomlin believes that will happen.

"I think the more those two guys work closely, they will get an understanding of who they are, what their desires are from a professional standpoint, and I don't expect any issues in that regard," Tomlin said. "Through my experience with both men, I anticipate them getting along great because both men have a desire to be great at what they do, both guys are singularly focused on winning championships for the Pittsburgh Steelers. And that is a great place to begin."

The coaches are not permitted to work with the players until April 16, and Tomlin said the new playbook will not be introduced before then. He does not believe anyone will have trouble learning Haley's system or the terminology that goes with it.

"When you get to this point in your career, whether as a player or a coach, you have heard it in a variety of ways. We are all bilingual, if you will, when it comes to football language. We are not going to get caught up on what we are calling. I think it's important that the guy making the calls when the play clock is running is comfortable."

That guy is Roethlisberger, who embarks on the most important transition of his career since he replaced an injured Tommy Maddox in the second game of the 2004 season.

"He just needs to continue to evolve as a player, like all of our guys do, and I fully expected him to do that," Tomlin said. "Ben is a competitor, Ben is a professional. He is going to continue to work at it, he is not going to rest on past success, he is going to continue to chase dreams and goals, and I think the evolution of his game is a part of that."

Playbook input

As for that playbook, Tomlin wasn't ready to reveal it to the media either. He said all of the offensive coaches have been involved.

"It's been fun. He is very flexible and very sound in his approach," Tomlin said of Haley, a former Steelers ballboy whose dad, Dick Haley, played for the Steelers and then became their personnel director in the 1970s through the '80s. "We've had awesome discussions in terms of building it, but as I always say, and it will be the case, we are going to build our attack around the strengths of our men. Ben Roethlisberger is a talented guy. We have talented receivers. We have an interesting group of running back prospects. We are putting together an offensive line.

"We are laying down the fundamental basis of how we are going to approach what is going to be good for us, regardless of circumstances. I really think some of the personality things, some of the things that will capture people's attentions, have yet to be discovered because of roles and so forth. We've had some good discussions. He has really brought some awesome ideas and approaches to the group."
No wide receiver issues

The Steelers do not expect to lose Mike Wallace, and Jerricho Cotchery has yet to draw much interest from other teams in free agency. They want both of them back and if they do return, their corps of wide receivers should again be strong with those two plus Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

However, if for some reason they lose both, they could be in dire straits with only Brown and an injury-plagued Sanders. It would leave them scrambling for receivers, either through free agency or the draft. Wes Lyons could suddenly become a strong candidate to make the team.

"Sure, there are a lot of reasons to be concerned, but I am not," Tomlin said. "It will play itself out. We feel comfortable with our plan. We feel comfortable in our ability to develop young players ...

"Again, we intend to [add receivers], whether it be through free agency or the draft, or both. We have been thin at that position before, and we have acquired men like Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders and it has worked out OK. So, hopefully, it works out in a similar fashion."

First Published 2012-03-29 04:33:50

dbsfgyd1
03-29-2012, 08:56 AM
This is good news indeed. I would not be a bit surprised if we see some of Ron Erhardt's O re-enter the play book.

Men of Steel
03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
On The Steelers: Offense will play by the (new) book
March 29, 2012 12:00 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-offense-will-play-by-the-new-book-628653/?p=0

"It's been fun. He is very flexible and very sound in his approach," Tomlin said of Haley, a former Steelers ballboy whose dad, Dick Haley, played for the Steelers and then became their personnel director in the 1970s through the '80s. "We've had awesome discussions in terms of building it, but as I always say, and it will be the case, we are going to build our attack around the strengths of our men. Ben Roethlisberger is a talented guy. We have talented receivers. We have an interesting group of running back prospects. We are putting together an offensive line.

build attack/ (playbook) around strengths
strengths = ben roethlisberger is talented, talented receivers.

non strengths: "interesting group of running back PROSPECTS" and "putting together Offensive Line"

sounds to me like Tomlin wants a pass first, pass heavy offense since this is OUR offenses "STRENGTH"

and seeing how our running attack wont have mendy, or a constant oline as of now, which tomlin obviously knows, dont plan on seeing any smashmouth pounding the rock offenses. (not that mendy was a smashmouth runner anyway)

just seems to me like we will have the same gameplans as before even with hailey now, just better play calling in certain situations.

StainlessStill
03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Haley opened Arians old playbook and LAUGHED HIS ASS OFF then proceeded to throw it in the nearest garbage disposal, WR screens and all!:applaudit:

Fire Arians
03-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Haley opened Arians old playbook and LAUGHED HIS ASS OFF then proceeded to throw it in the nearest garbage disposal, WR screens and all!:applaudit:

probably right, he was thinking about not changing much of the offense originally, but that was before he had a chance to look at arians' playbook. when he did he was prolly like WTF?

LVSteelersfan
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I had no problem with Arian's playbook to a certain extent. It seemed to work well between the 20s. BUT when they hit the red zone it almost always seemed to stall out. Empty backfield sets in the red zone are absolutely ludicrous and he did it almost without fail. Seemed like every series on third down in the red zone, Ben was back there by himself and he got sacked on at least a 50% clip and threw the ball away on fade patterns in the end zone with short receivers not built for the task. Talk about telegraphing what you are going to do down there. I hope we never see the WR screen again. Or at least not every single game. RB screen, PLEASE.

truesteelerfan
03-29-2012, 03:24 PM

So you wouldn't suggest his very first playcall as our OC to be a quick bubble screen to a WR?

StainlessStill
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
So you wouldn't suggest his very first playcall as our OC to be a quick bubble screen to a WR?

A wideout OR a TE. That tight end bubble screen disaster to Heath Miller was even worse. I think that play all together combined a total net of about, 6 yards & looked even more like shit.

FrancoLambert
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Don't can the WR screen so quickly.
A well executed one to the right target (Wallace and Brown) and it's still valuable.
Our problem was poor timing, predictable sets, slow delivery, and balls thrown to the slowest receivers.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Whew, thank god we will keep the same blocking schemes. Here I thought the Oine might have to work this year. But instead they can take another year off, lol

Sorry Ben...

tony hipchest
03-30-2012, 12:19 AM
another interesting convo with wexell today in obvious regards to this ppg article-

James C Wexell‏

Will the Pgh media feed Ben's ego all year as it questions the OC change to cover up for its embarrassing coverage? Looks that way today.

Steelersfever‏

@jimwexell Mean ol Todd Haley Walton, changing the verbage & stuff. Prolly gon' shitcan the 5 step drop for a handoff and beloved WR screen

Steve Volk‏

@Steelers_Fever @jimwexell Wouldn't it be easier for new OC to adapt his plays to existing terminology?

James C Wexell‏

"@SteveVolk @Steelers_Fever Wouldn't it be easier for new OC to adapt his plays to existing terminology?" --how can any1 outside team judge?

Steve Volk‏@SteveVolk

@jimwexell @Steelers_Fever Is it easier for one person to learn French, or 20 Frenchman to learn a new language? I could be wrong, but...

James C Wexell‏

@SteveVolk @Steelers_Fever What if it wasn't even French? What if it's complete gibberish? Are you sure that it's not?

:chuckle:

Steve Volk‏

@jimwexell @Steelers_Fever Jim, I think it'd be worth your reporting on. How hard is it for the players to adapt to a new system?

Bayz101
03-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Lmao. That's far more entertaining than any article.

tony hipchest
03-30-2012, 01:05 AM
i made the point that the steelers blocking schemes seem to have partially been blamed for all bens sacks and the runningbacks running into a wall and not having any holes.

either that, or the players just suck. we are keeping the blockers and we are keeping kuglers scheme.

yet haley is shitcanning everything else that arians pretty much had his hands on.

that, mixed with tomlin pretty much admitting arians offense had become stale, bland, and too predictable speaks volumes too me.

yet the media makes it sound like todd haley is asking the offense to learn calculus written in mandarin chinese.

its football. assuming the qb isnt a dope (which i think many fans and local media secretly fear) it should be no problem (just as it wasnt for cheifs players in the 1st 2 years haley was their HC).

cardinals didnt seem to have a problem when warner, fitz, & new coaches whiz, and haley, led them to the SB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
i made the point that the steelers blocking schemes seem to have partially been blamed for all bens sacks and the runningbacks running into a wall and not having any holes.

either that, or the players just suck. we are keeping the blockers and we are keeping kuglers scheme.

yet haley is shitcanning everything else that arians pretty much had his hands on.

that, mixed with tomlin pretty much admitting arians offense had become stale, bland, and too predictable speaks volumes too me.

yet the media makes it sound like todd haley is asking the offense to learn calculus written in mandarin chinese.

its football. assuming the qb isnt a dope (which i think many fans and local media secretly fear) it should be no problem (just as it wasnt for cheifs players in the 1st 2 years haley was their HC).

cardinals didnt seem to have a problem when warner, fitz, & new coaches whiz, and haley, led them to the SB.

Exactly, the media is hedging their bets and reserving the right to blame Haley for changing the offense. But, he was brought in here to do just that.

As for the O-line blocking and Kugler...O line coaches are kept in the dark and fed crap (hence the Mushroom Society of Bob Wylie name, Tony) about the offense. Haley will run his offense and tell Kugler to "block it up" and Kugs has to do just that. Some new plays and personell may necessitate that Kugler block things a bit differently.

Lady Steel
03-30-2012, 02:38 PM
"He just needs to continue to evolve as a player, like all of our guys do, and I fully expected him to do that," Tomlin said. "Ben is a competitor, Ben is a professional. He is going to continue to work at it, he is not going to rest on past success, he is going to continue to chase dreams and goals, and I think the evolution of his game is a part of that."

I agree.

FanSince72
03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
I think a revised playbook or an augmented playbook is a great idea.
But completely discarding an existing playbook in favor of an "All Haley" playbook smacks of an "All About Me" posture on Haley's part and that is the one thing about hiring him that has bugged me all along.

It's no secret that Haley has a huge ego and it remains to be seen just how much of that ego enters into the day-to-day aspects of the team. I realize that a new broom sweeps clean but there's a difference between sweeping and removing the flooring and the joists along with it.

The thing about "new guys" is that they all seem to believe that because they're replacing someone they have to remove all traces of that person and that hardly ever works out well. What usually works better is to keep the things your predecessor did well and add to that. But a guy like Haley doesn't impress me as someone who would be comfortable in doing that because if he was successful, he'd have to credit some of the existing playbook and I don't think he could do that.

The article points to the Walton debacle and although neither he nor Brister were the sharpest knives in the drawer, the lesson there is clear. It's OK to want to introduce change and to perhaps instill a new philosophy, but to do it at the expense of all that came before often ends up doing more harm than good.

We'll see...

QCbeauBlak
03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
History has shown me that former head coaches that take a step backwards into coordinating again tend to thrive. Dom Capers, Wade Philip, Romeo, etc. Teams bring in completely new systems all the time. I am very optimistic. Arians, while a good OC, his system just seemed dated to me. I never understood how every defense in the NFL would be in such good position on us play after play, game after game. Was it the play calls, the plays themselves or both? The likes of David Johnson moving at snails pace on a dinky screen, bumbling along but going NO WHERE and being met by 4 defenders. I've never seen a team have a run game where the RB hardly ever has a true lane to run and is always met by a wall. We don't have to have a 100 yard rusher per game, but utilize the talent we have on the right plays. Make good calls.

Kansas City's Offense was pretty explosive just a year ago. Last year they were injured at every position it seemed so I don't know how much that counts. Can't wait to see what he brings. Mike Tomlin seems very excited and if I am interpreting what he is saying right, it seems he is actually aiding in building the offense. I am very curious to see how that turns out as he was once an offensive player himself I believe

FanSince72
03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
History has shown me that former head coaches that take a step backwards into coordinating again tend to thrive. Dom Capers, Wade Philip, Romeo, etc. Teams bring in completely new systems all the time. I am very optimistic. Arians, while a good OC, his system just seemed dated to me. I never understood how every defense in the NFL would be in such good position on us play after play, game after game. Was it the play calls, the plays themselves or both? The likes of David Johnson moving at snails pace on a dinky screen, bumbling along but going NO WHERE and being met by 4 defenders. I've never seen a team have a run game where the RB hardly ever has a true lane to run and is always met by a wall. We don't have to have a 100 yard rusher per game, but utilize the talent we have on the right plays. Make good calls.

Kansas City's Offense was pretty explosive just a year ago. Last year they were injured at every position it seemed so I don't know how much that counts. Can't wait to see what he brings. Mike Tomlin seems very excited and if I am interpreting what he is saying right, it seems he is actually aiding in building the offense. I am very curious to see how that turns out as he was once an offensive player himself I believe

I don't disagree that Arians' offense was stale and it certainly became very predictable.
I just don't believe that it was so bad that his entire playbook has to be discarded and rewritten from scratch.

Whenever I see something like that, I just have to think that it's more about ego than need.

zcoop
03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
We're soon gonna find out what we have and had, shits gonna hit the fan. I just hope folks are ready to call is as it is when it does.

MACH1
03-31-2012, 01:29 PM
I for one am kind of glad their changing things up so other teams aren't calling out the play before the snap.

FanSince72
03-31-2012, 02:52 PM
I for one am kind of glad their changing things up so other teams aren't calling out the play before the snap.

I'm totally fine with that.

I'm just concerned that we'll change things so much that even WE don't know what play is coming or what to do with it if we did.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel when all we need are some new tires and a good balancing for the wheels we already have.

tony hipchest
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
just about every offense runs the same plays, with slightly different variations and wrinkles. i mean, theyre either gonna run the ball or pass the ball. its not rocket science. the passing tree of 9 routes is the same across the nfl. pgh has been running g-power for years. it was a main staple of their run game and just about every team has it in their playbook. im sure we will see much more of it.

many teams that use creativity and ingenuity (walsh, belichick) go so far as to run the exact same plays out of 3-4 different personnel groupings.

bill polian said on sirius radio that peyton manning could have gone to any team in the nfl because he already knows every teams offense (probably better than they do).

haley is coming in, installing the plays he likes (probably with heavy insight from ben and strong consideration given to the teams strengths) and changing the verbage to what he feels most efficient in calling.

i dont see the problem with moving from stale and bland to something that will be new and most likely more creative and innovative. like i said, larry fitz, kurt warner, and anquan boldin had absolutely no problems learning haleys offens.

i dont see why people are still resistant/scared/worried, about and still digging in their heels, and in the case of the media, taking on a defeatist's attitude....

unless they think ben (and the rest of the players) is a blockhead incapable of learning something new in less than 5 years.

VaDave
04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I for one am not scared of Haley taking over our offense. I would have been a lot more scared if we would have retained Arians........

Fire Arians
04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I for one am not scared of Haley taking over our offense. I would have been a lot more scared if we would have retained Arians........

this :thumbsup:

wera176
04-02-2012, 07:39 PM

This + 1 :drink:

I can't believe people are actually worried these professionals may have to learn some new terminology and plays. If Haley actually has a plan, it'll be an improvement even if they struggle a little at first. Let's wait until 3-4 games into the season before we panic...

mesaSteeler
04-02-2012, 09:55 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit:

After 48 years of following the Steelers I would have stopped if the Airhead had been retained. I just couldn't have taken any more of his stupidity. Now I'm excited about next season.

Blackout
04-02-2012, 11:43 PM
How much of a chance do we have at winning the Super Bowl now?

Fire Arians
04-03-2012, 12:35 AM
How much of a chance do we have at winning the Super Bowl now?

nothing's a sure thing, but i can say our chances get better if our situational playcalling improves

SteelBlaze1
04-03-2012, 12:47 PM
A healthy Ben improves our chances greatly!