PDA

View Full Version : Big, bad chain guy on Steelers' videos dies

mesaSteeler
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Big, bad chain guy on Steelers' videos dies
April 3, 2012 12:19 pm
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/big-bad-chain-guy-on-steelers-videos-dies-629711/
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steve Nesbit, whose image was used for award-winning in-game entertainment on the Heinz Field Jumbotron during Steelers games, died March 26 of heart failure. He was 55.

Mr. Nesbit had been a part of the in-game entertainment dating to 2001, the year Heinz Field opened. He was the muscular figure who pulled a chain after a first down, threw down a sack after a sack, shoveled the opponent's metal icon into a blast furnace and flexed his body-builder physique on the big screen.

"The players loved it," said Ken Brown, who scouted Mr. Nesbit for the role.

At the time, Mr. Brown worked for New Perspective Productions in the Strip District, and the company was pitching entertainment ideas to the Steelers. He was given marching orders to find a person who personified the power and the spirit of the Steelers.

"I was looking for the biggest, baddest black guy I could find," said Mr. Brown, who is now the media producer for the Pirates. "I hit every gym there was. Finally, I got his name and number. He called me back at 1 in the morning. He said, 'I heard you're looking for the biggest, baddest black guy around.' I said yes I was. And he said, 'I'm your guy.'"

The Information Display Entertainment Association awarded the Steelers' series starring Mr. Nesbit best of the NFL in 2002. The series was a finalist the same year across all major sports.

Ray Fittipaldo: rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com and Twitter @rayfitt1.

Pentheon
04-03-2012, 08:43 PM
damn that sucks, I hope they never change it and keep it the way it is in memory of him...plus its cool to see

RIP Steve Nesbit :(

QCbeauBlak
04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
I am sorry but the article I kept singing a song that used to infuriate me lol.. I think it was called Leroy Brown?

tanda10506
04-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Damn that sucks, seems like a lot of people dont make it past their 50's anymore. RIP

Steel Peon
04-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Makes you wonder how we never managed to get this guy in a uniform?.......besides him being in his 40s-50s.