PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign TE Leonard Pope...

tony hipchest
04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
...former 3rd round pick of the cardinals, and former cheif follows haley once again.

buh bye wes saunders. sad to see all that potential go to waste.

55BaileyFan
04-10-2012, 03:47 PM
...former 3rd round pick of the cardinals, and former cheif follows haley once again.

buh bye wes saunders. sad to see all that potential go to waste.

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2012/04/steelers-sign-pope.html

Saunders isn't getting released...if anything David Johnson is in jeopardy. I liked Pope in college and I think he is an instant upgrade of DJ and is better than Wes Lyons who couldn't catch the ball in college and can't make an NFL team

ETL
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
omg!!! i can't believe we did something in free agency.

Steelerfreak58
04-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Multiple TE's seems to be the wave of the future in a lot of Pass happy teams...

pete74
04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2012/04/steelers-sign-pope.html

Saunders isn't getting released...if anything David Johnson is in jeopardy. I liked Pope in college and I think he is an instant upgrade of DJ and is better than Wes Lyons who couldn't catch the ball in college and can't make an NFL team

Upgrade? I'm not sure how his blocking is but he spent 7 years in the NFL and his best year yardage wise was 247 yards. I doubt he will be catching many balls from Ben. I would prefer to see Saunders who actually has an upside in there

Bayz101
04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
We did something :chuckle:

StainlessStill
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
6'8 tight end in the redzone. Heath Miller is going to benefit from having a big body to compliment his style. We NEED to take advantage of Heath's abilities. It's f*ckin time now.

FrancoLambert
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I'll take a suspended Saunders over David "Stonehands-Whiffs on Blocks-Waste of a Roster Space" Johnson any day of the week, month, year, decade.....he is the absolute worst.

StainlessStill
04-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I'll take a suspended Saunders over David "Stonehands-Whiffs on Blocks-Waste of a Roster Space" Johnson any day of the week, month, year, decade.....he is the absolute worst.

His nauseating attempted "block" in Super Bowl XLV where he whiffed on Clay Matthews did us in. That single play cost us a 6th ring. Down only 21-17, in Green Bay territory, riding all momentum, he took a good time to make the worst whiff of his career. Mendy didn't have a chance.

That ball popping out is a worse image for me than Busy's 2005 fumble in Indy. I still can't watch that play.

harrison'samonster
04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
6'8 tight end in the redzone. Heath Miller is going to benefit from having a big body to compliment his style. We NEED to take advantage of Heath's abilities. It's f*ckin time now.

Exactly. We need to give Miller some chances, he needs to be a piece that makes this offense as perfect as possible. Haley's going to need to get him the ball more.

tony hipchest
04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
steelerfans are gonna HATE this guy. some still hate colon for 4-5 holds....

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Great stat by @Steelersdepot: Newly signed #Steelers TE Leonard Pope had 10 holding penalties last year in a backup role. #TheNewChrisK"

Busforever
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I think David Johnson and his 1.26M salary will be released for a 600/700k Pope. That's would be good salary cap move, assuming Pope signed that kind of contract

tony hipchest
04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
pope is the dude who saved that drowning little boy last year-

FBxG9UZz49E

Bayz101
04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
pope is the dude who saved that drowning little boy last year-

FBxG9UZz49E

Wow. That's awesome.

Steelersfan87
04-10-2012, 07:36 PM
steelerfans are gonna HATE this guy. some still hate colon for 4-5 holds....

Not quite what Steelers Depot said. He had 10 total fouls, including 4 holds and 3 false starts.

tony hipchest
04-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Not quite what Steelers Depot said. He had 10 total fouls, including 4 holds and 3 false starts.Take it up with Mark.

Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot

Pope penalties stalled 6 drives last year for Chiefs

Steelersfan87
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I understand that it was Mark and not you that misquoted Steelers Depot, I was just correcting his error here.

tony hipchest
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I understand that it was Mark and not you that misquoted Steelers Depot, I was just correcting his error here.

yeah, same difference pretty much though. as weve seen, willie colons 4-5 holdings a few years ago turn into 20.

if you listen to some, flozell adams was absolute rubbis for being deaf and having a few false starts. :noidea:

if kemo hadnt been shitcanned the fans woulda ran his ass outta town.

hell, william gay is still supposedly the poorest tackling CB in the league for getting trucked by adrian peterson.

needless to say, we have some unforgiving fans.

hopefully pope saving a young boys life can buy him some good graces, but i somewhat doubt it.

Steelersfan87
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Haha, good points.

Fire Arians
04-10-2012, 08:38 PM
His nauseating attempted "block" in Super Bowl XLV where he whiffed on Clay Matthews did us in. That single play cost us a 6th ring. Down only 21-17, in Green Bay territory, riding all momentum, he took a good time to make the worst whiff of his career. Mendy didn't have a chance.

That ball popping out is a worse image for me than Busy's 2005 fumble in Indy. I still can't watch that play.

totally, he should have been cut immediately after the sb. he's done nothing of note except win the big one for green bay

one bright side of arians finally being gone is that his stupid david johnson experiment will be over, i hope.

wes saunders stays. having him for 12 games is better than a full season from dj

NSMaster56
04-10-2012, 08:40 PM
I liked Pope when he was in college (GA).

He's a big target. Not sure if his speed/hands ever developed (I've seen few Cards games and stats don't tell the whole story in the NFL).

Nice to see the Steelers nab someone from AZ for a change.

mesaSteeler
04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Steelers sign first free agent of the year
April, 10, 2012
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/45655/steelers-sign-first-free-agent-of-the-year
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It's taken 28 days and their usual amount of patience but the Pittsburgh Steelers finally signed their first free agent, reaching a one-year deal with tight end/lockout hero Leonard Pope.

While Pope is hardly a high-profile addition, he will serve a couple of important roles for the Steelers.

Pittsburgh needed a No. 2 tight end behind Heath Miller. Weslye Saunders has been suspended for the first four games of 2012 for violating the league's rule on the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Pope is also someone who knows offensive coordinator Todd Haley's system as well as anyone in the league. He played under Haley for two seasons in Arizona (2007 and 2008) and followed him in 2009 to Kansas City where he played three seasons. Pope can certainly help teammates in the transition to Haley's style of offense.

In 16 games last season, including 10 starts, Pope caught a career-high 24 passes for 247 yards and one touchdown.

Pope is more known for what he did off the field last season. In June, during the NFL lockout, Pope saved 6-year-old boy Bryson Moore from drowning at a pool party. "All of a sudden, I saw Bryson going down in the water and I started screaming," the boy's mother said last year. "Leonard was inside, and he came out of nowhere and dove into the water without any hesitation, cell phone in his pocket and all. He saved my sonís life."

ricardisimo
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Speaking as a lapsed Catholic, I'm very much against Pope. [insert rimshot here]

Speaking as a Steeler fan, I have to say it smacks of some other recent sort of vanity roster additions for the benefit of newly hired coaches, like Jonathan Scott and Arnaz Battle, guys we probably could have done without perfectly well. Hopefully this whole "helping to teach the new system" theory actually bears fruit.

tony hipchest
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Speaking as a lapsed Catholic, I'm very much against Pope. [insert rimshot here]

Speaking as a Steeler fan, I have to say it smacks of some other recent sort of vanity roster additions for the benefit of newly hired coaches, like Jonathan Scott and Arnaz Battle, guys we probably could have done without perfectly well. Hopefully this whole "helping to teach the new system" theory actually bears fruit.

...tomlin brought in mewelde.

in defense of ST coverage and returns, our unit went from one of the worst to one of the best and a battle was the captain...

not that it means anything for or against the pope (other than we have 1 true TE on the roster to open the season with, and this years draft class is weak).. :noidea:

Millers the sh!t
04-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Exactly. We need to give Miller some chances, he needs to be a piece that makes this offense as perfect as possible. Haley's going to need to get him the ball more.

Millers' got the best hands on the team. He should be getting the ball thrown his way 10 times more than it currently is. The Guys an Ox too, built ford tough.

Bayz101
04-11-2012, 02:12 AM
Millers' got the best hands on the team. He should be getting the ball thrown his way 10 times more than it currently is. The Guys an Ox too, built ford tough.

If Miller's built anything like a Ford I have bad news for you :chuckle:

mesaSteeler
04-11-2012, 06:40 AM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

The last thing we need is a " Fix Or Repair Daily" or "Found On Road Dead", and in reverse "Driver Returns On Foot".

Kingmagyar
04-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Hey all it will take is one clutch red zone TD catch by Pope at some critical point in the season in a meaningful game for it to be worth signing him. And the guy is a class act all the way.

Keeping 3 Tight Ends on the roster is not out of the question in regards to keeping Saunders as well. We shouldn't give up on Saunders so soon with his size and pass catching ability and youth.

And Finally with the signing of Will Johnson, retaining David Johnson at least for camp, and having Jamie McCoy on the roster it appears the H-back is going nowhere in the Steeler's offense. An H-back and 3 Tight Ends all could end up on the roster.

And I wasn't aware David Johnson whiffed on that block in the Super Bowl. I'm still mad he dropped the ball against Baltimore that would have helped run the clock down sealing the win, and another drop in Denver last post season. Get rid of him.

ANDYMISIU
04-11-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure what to make of the signing. I personally thought Saunders and Johnson were making solid contributions to the team. Pope better be one hell of a blocker because Saunders and Johnson were already good offensive weapons. According to the post above, Pope isn't a very good blocker. I personally think the signing is a lateral move.

Myounger55
04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't understand why Saunders gets so much hate for his suspension. He wasn't taking PED's or smoking up. The kid had to take medication for ADHD that while on the NFL's banned substance list if claimed and backed up with a Dr's prescription would have been approved by the league. It was a clerical mistake. The kid had this script for years so it's not like he just started taking it to gain an edge. He was a rookie and made an honest mistake. He has the tools to be a strong TE. I hope he comes back motivated and brings his A game. Heath and Saunders would be a nice pair of TE's. Go Stillers!

tanda10506
04-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the signing. I personally thought Saunders and Johnson were making solid contributions to the team. Pope better be one hell of a blocker because Saunders and Johnson were already good offensive weapons. According to the post above, Pope isn't a very good blocker. I personally think the signing is a lateral move.

Johnson was making solid contributions? I need some of what your smoking

Millers the sh!t
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Ha ha ha.......

Nah, we can get a solid 10-12 years out of him. Typical Ford.

MACH1
04-11-2012, 01:34 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

The last thing we need is a " Fix Or Repair Daily" or "Found On Road Dead", and in reverse "Driver Returns On Foot".

But always First On Race Day.

Steelersfan87
04-11-2012, 02:01 PM
An H-back and 3 Tight Ends all could end up on the roster.

Indeed, this is very possible, especially this year where it looks like they may only carry 5 WRs.

Steelers5895
04-11-2012, 07:52 PM

7th ring, we have six. No excuse, Mendy has to hold that ball in that spot in that game. no exceptions and no matter who missed what block.