PDA

View Full Version : Cowher's Future Remains Unkown

83-Steelers-43
07-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Cowher's future plans remain unknown
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Less than two weeks from the players' reporting date to St. Vincent College, the Steelers aren't certain they'll agree on an extension of coach Bill Cowher's contract prior to the start of training camp.
Or if Cowher is interested in extending his deal beyond the two years it has remaining.

"I don't know," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said Tuesday. "That's one thing we have to look at, and he does, too, just what is the best thing."

The Steelers have traditionally extended Cowher's contract two years prior to it expiring.

Normally, negotiations have been completed by this juncture of the offseason.

"Earlier," Rooney said.

Cowher said at the conclusion of the Steelers' offseason program in June that he was taking his continued tenure with the team "year to year."

Rooney is taking him at his word.

Asked if he anticipated Cowher walking away from the job after the upcoming season, Rooney said, "I don't think so.

"I don't really know; it's conjecture," he continued. "I just think what he says is fact: he's going to look at this thing as he goes on. I think he's going to be open and honest about it. I just don't think he knows right now."

The Steelers are scheduled to report to St. Vincent on July 28.

Cowher's agent, Phil de Picciotto, was out of the country yesterday and unavailable for comment.

The Steelers hired Cowher to succeed Chuck Noll in 1992.

Cowher has a 153-91-1 record (playoffs included) in 14 seasons through the Steelers' 21-10 victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.

He ranks fourth among active coaches in career victories behind Marty Schottenheimer (191), Bill Parcells (174) and Joe Gibbs (157).

Cowher, 49, is tied for 14th in all-time wins with Steve Owen, one behind Marv Levy (154).

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, have purchased through a trust a $2.5 million home near Raleigh, N.C., and own a vacation home in Bald Head Island, N.C. His youngest daughter, Lindsay, reportedly left Fox Chapel High School following her freshman year to enroll and play basketball at Cary Academy, a private school near Raleigh.

Cowher and his wife attended N.C. State.

"We have an understanding with him of what he's thinking," Rooney said. "I do think it's open to a year-to-year basis. We have a pretty fair understanding, and he's been very fair with us and, hopefully, we've been fair with him."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_462431.html

Big D
07-19-2006, 07:33 AM
I think there are alot of indications that when his contract is up that he wont be back. I see the fact that he bought that 2.5 million dollar home in raliegh as a sure sign. Why buy a house there when you have a vacation home. Here is a scenerio. What if he retires from the steelers and takes on the head coaching position at unc?

HometownGal
07-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Here is a scenerio. What if he retires from the steelers and takes on the head coaching position at unc?

That is entirely possible. I think we Steelers fans know that Cowher isn't going to be our HC for too much longer and he may just give it another year or two. Someone in another thread suggested that it may be possible that Wiz may be being groomed to succeed The Chin. After reading this article, I'm leaning more that way now.

BlackNGold203
07-19-2006, 08:46 AM
That is entirely possible. I think we Steelers fans know that Cowher isn't going to be our HC for too much longer and he may just give it another year or two. Someone in another thread suggested that it may be possible that Wiz may be being groomed to succeed The Chin. After reading this article, I'm leaning more that way now.

Whisenhunt stayed for a reason...he is the heir apparant...for the Steeler Nation...its actually a very good scenario...a new head coach in training for a year or three...Cowher will be head coach for as long as he wants to be....

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-19-2006, 08:56 AM
I personally think it would be great if Whisenhnt took over head coach once Cowher leaves....I dont know when that will be but I agree that Whisenhunt stayed for a reason...

tony hipchest
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
a caller to sirius radio brought up how cowher loves the college coaching game (how he knows this i dont know) and mentionned unc or penn state as something cowher may be leaning towards. the caller had attended the steelers fantasy coaching camp and said he brought this up to russ grimm and grimm just smiled.

the show then discussed how much money the rooneys have paid to retain grimm and the countless head coaching opportunities he has turned down (even the redskins). grimm is very happy in pittsburgh. the callers point was that he got the strong feeling that grimm is just waiting to take over before too long.

the rooneys have to be turning a pretty good profit. look at what dan snyder has done hiring the best assistants. look at how the patriots were almost bulletproof whith crennell and weiss. as soon as they left they could no longer just plug in anyone and win all the time.

if cowher leaves the rooneys need to split the money they would have given cowher (probably 8 million a year) and use that to retain wisenhunt and lebeau.

the thinking here is you take 4 of that 8 million and give the coordinators salaries that put them on par with washingtons co-ords, and it makes them as highly paid as some head coaches. then you still have $4 mil left over to add to grimms salary.

Big D
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I dont think we need to start threading again about who should take over for cowher. I think whisenhunt turned the raiders down because its a coaching graveyard. It wasnt an ideal situation.

Big D
07-19-2006, 08:59 AM
I think grimm would be a better coach then whisenhunt. I think he would bring just as much intensity as cowher does

nicesteel4life
07-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I think were all making to much of a deal on it.
He is Here right now, so enjoy it.
We got strength behind him.
Camp Starts in 9 days....Camp Cowher that is!!!

shevdog
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM

I never pondered Wiz taking over as head coach at Pittsburgh. If that is the case, I'd be perfectly fine with that. Wiz could have easily left for any team, especially the raiders, yet he did the classy thing, sorta like LeBeau did, and stuck with the Steelers.

nicesteel4life
07-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I think grimm would be a better coach then whisenhunt. I think he would bring just as much intensity as cowher does

Yeah Camp Grimm would sound better than Camp Whise.....:sofunny: :dang: :sofunny:

Big D
07-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I dont think he turned down the raider offer for hopes he would get bills job. I think he turned down the offer because it was a shit situation. First off all he wasnt going to be able to chose his staff and he would have had very little input with player personal. I think if he would have had the chance to get the viking job he would have went for it

Man_Of_Steel
07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Why would Cowher leave the NFL for college coaching. Unless it would be for a ton of money, I don't see it happening.

Big D
07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Why would Cowher leave the NFL for college coaching. Unless it would be for a ton of money, I don't see it happening.
it has nothing to do with money. It has to do with his family. And the stress and time being an nfl coach consumes. We arent saying Bill is going to quit the steelers and start coaching college. It was a thought.

SteelerFanInCA
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
It might be reaching but I would like to see Cowher get to 200 wins.

SteelerFanInATL
07-21-2006, 05:30 PM
I personally think it would be great if Whisenhnt took over head coach once Cowher leaves....I dont know when that will be but I agree that Whisenhunt stayed for a reason...

I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelersMongol
07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
It might be reaching but I would like to see Cowher get to 200 wins.

How many does he have right now? :bouncy:

Hammer67
07-21-2006, 06:21 PM

It's called a wife!!! (Just kidding, honey!) :busted:

Seriously, Kay hates Pittsburgh and they both want to move south. I see Cowher retiring for a number of years (being an NFL coach is a grind), then maybe coaching college ranks for a while. THen, he will eventually head back to the NFL to cement his legacy with a fresh start whent he right situation comes along. More power to him. He deserves whatever path he choses.

As for whether Grimm or Wiz take over, I have heard whispers that Grimm is being groomed and the Rooney's love a local boy.:mg:

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
How many does he have right now? :bouncy:154. right about 14th all time

Hammer67
07-21-2006, 06:30 PM
154. right about 14th all time

6500 posts, Tony!!! Jesus man! Where do you find the time??!!

:nerd::chuckle:

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 06:38 PM
6500 posts, Tony!!! Jesus man! Where do you find the time??!!

:nerd::chuckle: lol. i gotta pretty good job.

WWIIOwheelz
07-21-2006, 08:12 PM
I've said, ever since I joined here, I have a strong feeling Russ is the next head coach. My wife knew him well, growing up, and I watched his career as a Redskin, being from there.

He's from Westmoreland County, and tough as nails. I'm thinking the offensive capability of the Steelers, the past 2 seasons, had a lot more to do with the capability of Ben and the multi-faceted abilities of El & Ward. Grimm was making sure they were protected, and was a players' coach, no question.

My official prediction is for Russ, next head coach, and I agree, I'm thinking Cowher's almost done, here, of his own choice. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I've said, ever since I joined here, I have a strong feeling Russ is the next head coach. My wife knew him well, growing up, and I watched his career as a Redskin, being from there.

He's from Westmoreland County, and tough as nails. I'm thinking the offensive capability of the Steelers, the past 2 seasons, had a lot more to do with the capability of Ben and the multi-faceted abilities of El & Ward. Grimm was making sure they were protected, and was a players' coach, no question.

My official prediction is for Russ, next head coach, and I agree, I'm thinking Cowher's almost done, here, of his own choice. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. for reasons already stated in this thread, i totally agree. sure wisenhunt has turned down (or been rejected) one crappy job offered but grimm has turned down (or been rejected) for many. grimm is the assistant head coach and he has been the one paid handsomly to stay. the steelers are firm believers that it all starts with the front 5.

SteelCzar76
07-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I like the idea of Russ as Head Coach, he's no nonsense,...but seems to be an equal opportunity ass kicker. Though,..i don't see coach (Cowher) going anywhere within the near future,...he's too competetive. He's got a CHANCE to be greater in Steelers lore than maybe even Chuck Knoll with a few more Titles,....based on his winning percentage.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

83-Steelers-43
07-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Cowher keeps future wide open

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bill Cowher has elaborated on his cryptic comments regarding his continued tenure as head coach of the Steelers.

"I'm not going to look too far down the road," Cowher said Monday night during an appearance on "Savran on SportsBeat," with Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh's Stan Savran. "If I'm asking our players not to do that, then why should I do that personally?"

Cowher, 49, will begin his 15th season as the Steelers' coach when training camp opens on Friday at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

He had fueled speculation about his future at the conclusion of the team's offseason program in June by characterizing his career with the Steelers as "year to year."

Cowher has two years remaining on his contract. The Steelers normally extend his deal with two years remaining.

No such agreement has been worked out this time, which prompted Steelers chairman Dan Rooney to tell the Tribune-Review last week, "I just think what he says is fact: He's going to look at this thing as he goes on."

"I think he's going to be open and honest about it," Rooney said. "I just don't think he knows right now."

Cowher told Savran he's been taking nothing for granted regarding his employment with the Steelers since a 6-10 finish in 2003.

"I think at that point, after that season, I was in a one-year-at-a-time mode," Cowher said. "I think after 12 years in one place and you go 6-10, you're really working on a one-year-at-a-time situation.

"I think at that point I kind of adopted that mind-set. It was kind of 'seize the moment,' because you don't know when the next moment's going to come."

The Steelers finished 15-1 in the regular season and advanced to the AFC Championship Game in 2004.

They went 11-5 in the 2005 season, then became the first No. 6 seed to win the Super Bowl.

"The last two years have been pretty good," Cowher said. "I don't think I'm going to deviate from that.

"I'm not going to make any guarantees about next year, that I'm going to sit there and say I'm going to coach. And I'm not going to sit here and say I'm not going to coach. I really don't know."

Cowher and his wife, Kaye, have purchased a $2.5 million home near Raleigh, N.C., where the two attended N.C. State. They also own a vacation home on Bald Head Island, N.C.

A Steelers spokesman said Cowher was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Cowher's agent, Phil de Picciotto, also could not be reached.

"You talk about 'one game at a time,' and I think (that mentality) took us where it did last year. I've kind of taken this approach to my coaching and taken it one year at a time," Cowher said. "I don't think you should read into it too much, but I'm not going to sit here and make any guarantees.

"I think it's important that I do take that same approach, the one I've taken since that 6-10, eye-awakening year that we had in 2003."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_463395.html

stlrtruck
07-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Hey, we've got this year with him and probably next. Let's not look past what we've got and allow they Rooney's to determine a suitable replacement for Cowher. Lord knows we have several assistant coaches that could take over, if and when necessary!

Besides, the Rooney's haven't failed us yet! And that's a salute to them for bringing in competent (and successful) coaches!

Here's to ringing up the other hand!!!! :cheers:

BigBen2WardPITT
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
this is news to me, im from DC we dont get much steelers news, i really thought her would stick around longer then two years. Its ok with me, i just really would like to have someone that can come right in and almost not miss a step like wisenhunt

Lyn
07-26-2006, 10:45 PM
If you have a copy of the SB, play it and look closely at his expression throughout the game. I think he is seriously burned out, at least he was that day. Stressed, stressed, stressed I think he's tired, and he's now achieved his burning goal of a championship. I think his not signing an extension right now has more to do with uncertainty about his goals and his life than anything to do with money. In other words, I don't see it as a bargaining ploy...at least not at this point--I think he just wants to see how he feels over the next two years. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the team or the other coaches
either...just personal things.
That said, if he leaves after 2007 season, I don't see him coaching in the pros again, either. I see him taking a year off, then spending a year on a pregame show, then settling in a college town to coach a college team for the next 20 years, letting his name and reputation do the recruiting.
We will find out soon enough:) If we all throw out scenarios one of us will be right:) LOL

Steel City Mafia
07-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Man, I hate reading this thread. thats by far the worst part of this biz is getting attatched to these guys and then watching the dollar take them elsewhere. I respect the guy that leaves for a better position, whether it be to spend more time with his family, coach on a different level that makes you feel more free, etc... I just hope it isn't for money.

For now, i'll play ostrich and stick my head in the hole, just pretend the issue doesnt exist ;-)

HometownGal
07-27-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm just going to take the wait and see approach here. Cowher loves coaching but he is also a devoted family man and may want to hang it up in a year or two to spend some quality time with his wife and girls. Being an NFL head coach isn't just a seasonal job - it's a year round dedication with many long hours involved. Whatever he decides to do at the end of this season, we've truly been blessed to have had Bill Cowher as the Steelers coach for all of these years. He not only brings expertise, hard work, knowledge and intensity to the table, he also brings class and excitement to the franchise overall, as well as to his players and we as fans.

Steel City Mafia
07-27-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm just going to take the wait and see approach here. Cowher loves coaching but he is also a devoted family man and may want to hang it up in a year or two to spend some quality time with his wife and girls. Being an NFL head coach isn't just a seasonal job - it's a year round dedication with many long hours involved. Whatever he decides to do at the end of this season, we've truly been blessed to have had Bill Cowher as the Steelers coach for all of these years. He not only brings expertise, hard work, knowledge and intensity to the table, he also brings class and excitement to the franchise overall, as well as to his players and we as fans.

Well said. I'd hate to see him go but a man has got to do whats best for himself and his family. Lets just hope this is some columnist trying to stip up controversy to get more readers.

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Steelers Notebook: Cowher extension is in slow motion
Wednesday, August 02, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Negotiations to extend Bill Cowher's contract have not made much headway in the months after they began and the two sides talk infrequently, sources told the Post-Gazette.

Cowher is under contract through this season and next, and he always signed an extension before he entered the second-to-last year on his contract. Two years ago, the club held a news conference July 26 -- before training camp began -- to announce a two-year extension on Cowher's deal.

But things are different now as reports circulate that this may be Cowher's last season as Steelers coach. Cowher and his wife bought a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., and his youngest daughter reportedly has enrolled as a high school sophomore at a school there.

Also, Cowher has said often since the Super Bowl that he will decide on his future from year to year and has declined to say whether this will be his final season or not. He has told associates that he is tired of the grind of coaching and some believe he considered stepping down after last season, but that he decided to return for another year when the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Last week, Cowher said he was satisfied how contract talks were going. However, other sources indicate that they're not going much at all. Steelers president Art Rooney II said if no agreement is reached by the start of the regular season on Sept. 7, talks will be put off until the end of the season, following the same policy they have with players.

That leaves a little more than a month for the sides to reach an agreement on a contract extension, if both sides want one.

MattsMe
08-02-2006, 06:51 AM
I really don't see a deal getting done before the season, and it's looking more and more like this really will be his last year. If we do manage to repeat as champs though, who knows. It would be awfully tempting to go for three in a row.