PDA

View Full Version : OL Trai Essex has signed with....

tony hipchest
04-12-2012, 10:14 AM
... the steelers for another year :danceshout:

(as reported by himself via twitter)

Trai Essex ‏ @TraiDay79
I am ecstatic to announce that I am back with the @Steelers ! There is no place like #SteelerNation #EverydayIsABlessing

great insurance policy. great to have him back. he was kinda in the doghouse last year for getting fat, but has lost a great deal of weight and looking as fit as ever. he's been putting in the work to get right and get better.

i like the attitude even if it is for a swingman back up role.

Bayz101
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Nice! Thanks for reporting, I just noticed it on twitter but didn't have time to make the thread.

Fire Arians
04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
good depth signing. i heard trai is also keeping his weight down in the offseason which is good

Curtain_of_Steel
04-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Yup, all the great steeler oline is back, lol.. Everyone is excited, lol.

Foster, Legursky, Essex... Its great today, after Ben gets killed, you all will be balsting them saying thank god it was for only 1 year, lol

tony hipchest
04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Yup, :blah: lol.. Everyone is :blah:, lol.

Foster, Legursky, Essex... :blah: Ben gets killed, you all :blah: lol

relax.... with exception to foster (who very well could be replaced as a starter) they are all back ups and experienced depth, at the absolute lowest price allowed in accordance with the CBA.

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2012, 06:28 PM
relax.... with exception to foster (who very well could be replaced as a starter) they are all back ups and experienced depth, at the absolute lowest price allowed in accordance with the CBA.
:nono: the steelers don't have back ups... they have starters in waiting.
personally my way of thinking is for every bum vet you carry on the roster , you decrease your chances of finding "the guy" . we all know what essex brings to the table. he's already hit his ceiling and it wasn't very high. the only thing he brings to the table is knowledge of the offense. there's a reason why the steelers can keep bringing him back on one year dealsat bargain prices...because nobody else wants him.
i see no point in occupying roster spots with guys who you'd hate to see starting for an extended amount of time. i'll take the 2 in the bush if i know the one in hand sucks ..:hatsoff:

fer522
04-12-2012, 07:48 PM
i think the reason why they're signing these guys is because they can't afford anybody else :banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2012, 07:53 PM

True, but I hope that we improve in the draft where we dont need all 3 of them to dress on gameday.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different outcome.

Fire Arians
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
i don't understand all the hate for essex, he's a quality backup. he won't be a pro bowler anytime in his career, but he's serviceable at all 3 positions on the OL. hell, he plays tackle better than jonathan rollerskates and he can even play center.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2012, 12:19 AM
i don't understand all the hate for essex, he's a quality backup. he won't be a pro bowler anytime in his career, but he's serviceable at all 3 positions on the OL. hell, he plays tackle better than jonathan rollerskates and he can even play center.

It's not hate, but rather a realization that he isn't getting any better and it's almost better to let guys like that go, to make room for something better.

It's like dating an ugly girl and after a while you come to your senses and see you need to ditch her for somebody that doesn't require you to drink ten beers, before she starts looking good.

Bayz101
04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
It's not hate, but rather a realization that he isn't getting any better and it's almost better to let guys like that go, to make room for something better.

It's like dating an ugly girl and after a while you come to your senses and see you need to ditch her for somebody that doesn't require you to drink ten beers, before she starts looking good.

Well, that's not entirely true. He's only 29 years old and he's lost a TON of weight from what I've heard. If this is true he may improve. If Trai can't get any better at the age of 29, there's no way Ben, who's 30, is going into his prime as he hopes :hunch:

Sometimes you can't underestimate these guys. If they work hard enough they'll be an entirely different player, and even person, the next year. I hope Trai does well.

Steelersfan87
04-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Essex has definitely improved over the past two seasons. He even had a quality start at center against the Rams last year. Never underestimate the value of an offensive lineman that can play every position adequately (as well as TE) and has an intimate knowledge of the system. Maybe he's more valuable to the Steelers than he would be to any other team...but that's a good thing.

Bayz101
04-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Essex has definitely improved over the past two seasons. He even had a quality start at center against the Rams last year. Never underestimate the value of an offensive lineman that can play every position adequately (as well as TE) and has an intimate knowledge of the system. Maybe he's more valuable to the Steelers than he would be to any other team...but that's a good thing.

I agree. :thumbsup:

Rick5895
04-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Some people just don't get it, you CAN'T have pro bowlers at every position, you NEED to have quality back up players. Essex and Legursky are just that, quality backups. On the OL it is even more imperative to have players like this. Both guys can play multiple positions, are veterans and will be able to adapt well with the new OC and with roster limits that is very important.
These were very good depth signings at reasonable prices.

Kingmagyar
04-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Essex to me is valuable because he can play every position on the line in case of an injury, and he only costs like the vet minimum. That is a pretty cheap insurance policy. If he wasn't on the roster when we had no center during a game last year what would we have done? He came in and played well.

FrancoLambert
04-13-2012, 07:47 PM

That's just the problem, aside from Pouncey, our entire O-line depth is a bunch of experienced backups at best, they rarely make their presence felt in a positive way.
We need an infusion of talent here for sure.

Steelersfan87
04-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Marcus Gilbert and Willie Colon I have no concerns with, except for Colon's health. I don't have an issue with Foster either. He's workmanlike, but rarely makes mistakes and is consistent. It wouldn't even be the worst thing in the world for Legursky to continue to start at LG. He wasn't healthy a lot last year and that obviously impacted his ability to play. Surely they'll draft at least 2 or 3 linemen this year with 10 picks, with at least one being in the first 3 rounds.

tony hipchest
04-14-2012, 12:29 AM
That's just the problem, aside from Pouncey, our entire O-line depth is a bunch of experienced backups at best, they rarely make their presence felt in a positive way.
We need an infusion of talent here for sure.the steelers wouldnt keep drafting untalented OLmen just because the intention was for them to be back ups. from what i remember, kraig urbick was supposed to have alot of OL talent.

either way, there is something wrong with the process and it can only be scouting or coaching. teams have 3rd - 7th rounders pan out all the time. hell, there was a time when teams didnt even start looking at guards and centers until the 3rd round.

with that being said, i think the steelers are hedging their bets with these most recent signings (i'd have to see how much of their new 1 year deals are guaranteed signing bonus).

in the case ot TE l. pope, we can cut him at any time and it only costs $65,000.

as of now, it looks like the steelers are returning the entire OL group from last year with exception of starks and kemoeatu. PLUS we are getting colon back. that leaves only 1 spot to be filled by a draft pick.

im guessing we are gonna spend atleast 2 of the first 5 picks on OL which would mean somebody is likely to get cut.

sure we want them all to be as good as mike wallace or antonio brown so we can turn on them and point out all their flaws as soon as they think they deserve (or have earned) more money than the salary cap will allow.

the alternative is paying multi millions for our OL and having a linebacker corps of foote, carter, worilds, and sylvester. i dont think anyone really wants that.

MasterOfPuppets
04-14-2012, 02:59 AM
the steelers wouldnt keep drafting untalented OLmen just because the intention was for them to be back ups. from what i remember, kraig urbick was supposed to have alot of OL talent.

either way, there is something wrong with the process and it can only be scouting or coaching. teams have 3rd - 7th rounders pan out all the time. hell, there was a time when teams didnt even start looking at guards and centers until the 3rd round.
well if its any indication , carl nicks ,considered a top guard in the league , was drafted a round after urbik. nicks was also a tackle in college not a guard.....SCOUTING

from what i remember of training camp the year urbik was drafted , he couldn't quite get the handle on playing center , which may have led to him being released instead of legursky...but yet he started several games for buffalo at center and supposedly played well...COACHING

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Well, that's not entirely true. He's only 29 years old and he's lost a TON of weight from what I've heard. If this is true he may improve. If Trai can't get any better at the age of 29, there's no way Ben, who's 30, is going into his prime as he hopes :hunch:

Sometimes you can't underestimate these guys. If they work hard enough they'll be an entirely different player, and even person, the next year. I hope Trai does well.

Trai Essex came to Northwestern University as a TE, then added weight and height and played OT. Most had him graded as a 6th round talent in his draft year of 2005, but the Steelers took him in the 3rd because of his athleticism. (Some would say they reached).

Essex is in his 8th year and has proven that he cannot beat out Ramon Foster at OG, nor Jon Scott, Willie Colon, Marcus Gilbert at OT on the Steelers roster. Why not draft a decent OT prospect that has the potential to become a starter and keep him on the 53 as opposed to Essex. I think that will shake itself out in camp.

Face it, the guy is a 8 year veteran backup on a team that is in the bottom 1/3 of offensive lines in the NFL. If we are hoping he will hit is stride from here on out, we might as well eagerly wait for the end of conflict in the Middle East too.