PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing year for Pittsburgh sports

Go 'Lers
04-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Lets briefly recap the past year of Pittsburgh sports since last April 15th (Tax Day 2011)

Pirates: Catch lightening in a bottle and have the whole city buzzing. Leading the tough NL Central, filling PNC Park to the brim, people could actually name the roster. It was one terrible call in Atlanta in extra innings that derailed the team. back to stinking up the diamond.

Steelers: We got Tebowed, need I say more? Want details? Okay, FINE! Tebow was supposedly incapable of throwing over 50% completion. He ended up throwing couple of touchdowns and scorch Ike Taylor for over 200 yards. And oh yea . . . It took America all of 8 seconds to see the new playoff overtime rules in action.

Penguins: On the verge of being swept in the first round. Don't call me a negative Nacy, there's just nothing that makes me believe they can even muster one win in this series. By the numbers, this is the most goals the Flyers have scored in the first three games of a series (20) EVER as a franchise . . . yeah, its that bad. Not too mention we have to watch Talbot and Jagr (Czech for "Douchbag") skate off victorious.

Pitt Panthers: Its business as usual for the football team: lousy. As for the basketball team, by far the biggest disappointment of the whole season. Pitt fans resort back to what they do best: bitching and moaning.

I currently have a roommate from Boston so you can imagine we playfully feud in our current location of Columbus, OH. We're just two absolutly bullheaded, unapologetic supporters of our cities. Before, I lived amoungst Clevelanders in college so this is a big 180 degree difference in terms of bragging rights and sports oneupmanship that I'm used to having.

jjpro11
04-16-2012, 06:02 PM
you might as well throw in Penn State while you're at it.. a lot of us are PSU fans too.

TRH
04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Baseball should force the current dismal, poor owners of the Pirates to sell the team to someone with MONEY! They should never be allowed to own a baseball team.

As for the Penguins, i have no idea what the hell they're doing. And if you take off the "Pittsburgh" blinders, they're starting to become known as the "new" Philadelphia Flyers....cheap shot artists. I dont' necessarily think they are...but they're starting be known as such to others.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
How can you guys not add in PSU? Although "embarrassing" might not apply, you would need something quite worse to label what happened there.

Penguins are playing as about as poor sports as you can be. Flyer, my team are spanking them good. The only issue with the Pens playing the way they are, is the Flyers are beating them soundly in all areas. Goals, Brawls etc. So even playing dirty isn't getting them anywheres.

TRH
04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
yeah, definitely PSU is an embarrassment, i just think the focus of this post was the city of Pittsburgh.

To me, its astounding and incredibly baffling that theres not a demand by the league and by the city for the current Pirates owner to sell the team. They are 100% incapable of owning a sports team, are proving it, and are causing major embarrassment for the city. Hell, why don't i just own them? I don't have any money either lol

tony hipchest
04-16-2012, 06:45 PM
actually the penguins have been kicking the shit outta philthy in the fights.... the only good thing in the series thus far.

how anyone can see differently is baffling.

on a positive note is the city of pgh has had plenty of years to be extremely proud of.

disappointment happens even in the midst of greatness.

StainlessStill
04-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Pirates aside, I find it quite comforting that the Steelers/Pens disappointments come with playoff loss's. That goes to show how we bleed here. Hell, there are most fanbase's that would just like to see a competitive team around their parts. The playoffs would be an added dream & a bonus for hope.

Proud to be a Pittsburgh-er!:tt02:

steel-EERS
04-16-2012, 08:23 PM
glad I am a WVU football fan, when I tire of watching another steel city meltdown I put the 70-33 Orange bowl drubbing of Clemson in and all is good :thumbsup:

StainlessStill
04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I love Pittsburgh, like the Pirates, like the Pens but I'm no rabid fan. When it comes to my Stillers though, I'm a diehard MANIAC. It's all about the Steelers for me, hands down. The Steelers are my heartbeat.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Come on Tony, are both your eyes bandaged up?lol

We are not talking cheap cross checks to the throat when no one is looking. We are talking Hartnell taking off his gloves than pounding your guy..
Christ, a blind quad can beat that snot nosed Crosby.

Watch game 4, than we can talk, lol But Crosby may be saying Mommy half way through the 2nd period.

NSMaster56
04-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Compared to the likes of Seattle and Cleveland, Pittsburgh 'embarrassing year' was a triumph.

tony hipchest
04-16-2012, 10:41 PM

We are not talking cheap cross checks to the throat when no one is looking. We are talking Hartnell taking off his gloves than pounding your guy..

Watch game 4, than we can talk, lol But Crosby may be saying Mommy half way through the 2nd period.

get outta here! the flyers faces were stuck to the ice like this all game long-

POW!

5eiFMW_kD2A

TRH
04-16-2012, 10:46 PM
actually the penguins have been kicking the shit outta philthy in the fights.... the only good thing in the series thus far.

how anyone can see differently is baffling.

on a positive note is the city of pgh has had plenty of years to be extremely proud of.

disappointment happens even in the midst of greatness.

Who cares who's winning the fights after the whistles blow? They're f-in LOSING and losing BIG time and really getting embarrassed. As a whole the Penguins are not embarrassing.....but they're getting humiliated this series.
I thought they'd win the Stanley Cup and its likely they could get 0 and 4'd in the 1st round. What a disappointment.

Fire Arians
04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
would have rather miss the playoffs than see us lose to tebow in front of a national audience. im still sour over that game

jjpro11
04-16-2012, 10:49 PM

lol.. Flyers have been pulling that shit for 40 years.. Pens have one game where their emotions get the better of them, and all of a sudden they are the dirtiest franchise in the NHL and the Flyers are innocent choir boys. Flyers fans lived for that kind of stuff. Darien Hatcher is a Philadelphia hero for hitting Crosby in the mouth during his rookie year.

tony hipchest
04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
:iagree:Who cares who's winning the fights after the whistles blow? They're f-in LOSING and losing BIG time and really getting embarrassed. As a whole the Penguins are not embarrassing.....but they're getting humiliated this series.
I thought they'd win the Stanley Cup and its likely they could get 0 and 4'd in the 1st round. What a disappointment.i care. if they (fleury) is gonna choke on giant donkey dick, they might as well kick their ass on the way to getting swept on out like yesterdays trash.

phuck philly

NSMaster56
04-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Getting thrashed by the Flyers stings for sure, but you know what's worse?

Sinking to their level and putting on a giant, shameful exhibition of pointless fights and headhunting.

If the Pens want to make a statement they should play some D and win some games.

tony hipchest
04-17-2012, 12:09 AM
meh... too late for that. writing is on the wall.

Hawaii 5-0
04-17-2012, 12:29 AM
If the Pens want to make a statement they should play some D and win some games.

yeah, it's hard to win when you give up 20 goals in the first 3 games...

jjpro11
04-17-2012, 02:02 AM
it's hard to keep your composure when your goalie is letting in every puck that comes near him.. every time you start mounting a comeback, or build a lead, it comes crashing down. at one point the Flyers were literally just tossing the puck at Fleury and expecting him to misplay it and give up a big rebound, or just let it go in (Talbot's shorthanded goal especially). i understand the defense, penalty kill, and power play could all be better.. but he's letting in way too many goals, including softies, and it's killing the psyche of the team. i've always been a Fleury supporter, but he absolutely shit the bed this series like never before.

stb_steeler
04-17-2012, 02:53 AM
it's hard to keep your composure when your goalie is letting in every puck that comes near him.. every time you start mounting a comeback, or build a lead, it comes crashing down. at one point the Flyers were literally just tossing the puck at Fleury and expecting him to misplay it and give up a big rebound, or just let it go in (Talbot's shorthanded goal especially). i understand the defense, penalty kill, and power play could all be better.. but he's letting in way too many goals, including softies, and it's killing the psyche of the team. i've always been a Fleury supporter, but he absolutely shit the bed this series like never before.

I agree..... I had high hopes for Fleury in the playoffs. They jinxed it right before the playoffs started when they said about his career saves.

Kingmagyar
04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
What's most disappointing to me is the fact the Penguins and Steelers are now losing to our biggest rivals. To be swept by the Ravens last year and to see the Penguins look like a high school team against the Flyers is disgusting.

The Pirates are playing in a league with no salary cap so I don't even watch them as they will never be on even footing with the rest of the league and if they do develop a player he will just be stolen by a big league team. In other cities I have been to, they say the Pirates are the farm team for the rest of the league.

I like Paul Cryst to help the Panthers be good.

njsteeler87v2
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Lets briefly recap the past year of Pittsburgh sports since last April 15th (Tax Day 2011)

Pitt Panthers: Its business as usual for the football team: lousy. As for the basketball team, by far the biggest disappointment of the whole season. Pitt fans resort back to what they do best: bitching and moaning.

I currently have a roommate from Boston so you can imagine we playfully feud in our current location of Columbus, OH. We're just two absolutly bullheaded, unapologetic supporters of our cities. Before, I lived amoungst Clevelanders in college so this is a big 180 degree difference in terms of bragging rights and sports oneupmanship that I'm used to having.

All things considered, it has been indeed a bad year for Pitt b-ball. At least they have a third-tier championship to brag about.. None of the Big East teams can boast about some semblance of a title. So it truly can't be a total loss..
(Just get rid of that current logo and bring back the classic "Pitt Script")

NSMaster56
04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
meh... too late for that. writing is on the wall.

Then smash the wall.

(Of course, such appears to be the Pens strategy, almost quite literally and to a fault...)

LVSteelersfan
04-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Then smash the wall.

(Of course, such appears to be the Pens strategy, almost quite literally and to a fault...)

They certainly smashed that wall tonight. 10-3. If they can do that again in the next game in Pittsburgh, they might not be dead yet. The Phillies have a history of losing the series after being up 3-1. So it is not crazy that they could still lose it.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
That was an ugly loss.

I can see the flyers caving, because their goaltending sucks. They are streaky goalies at best and these 2 havnet been good all year. You cant give up 4,5,6 goals a game and win, let alone 10. lol