PDA

View Full Version : Why Willie Colon is still a Steeler....

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-17-2012, 06:02 PM
....and why Justin Hartwig and Chris Kemoeatu are NOT.

Pretty eye-opening article....

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/15/three-year-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-linemen/

truesteelerfan
04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Good find! Thanks for sharing, but now if he could only wait until the ball is snapped to move.... false starts are just as bad as a sack.

Steelersfan87
04-17-2012, 06:30 PM
I've posted this link half a dozen times here. Maybe it being the focal point of a thread will make the point more clear: Willie Colon is a quality right tackle when he's healthy.

BKAnthem
04-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Good Article

Fire Arians
04-17-2012, 07:15 PM
plus hartwig led the nfl in sacks allowed, and was #2 the year before.

and chris kemo sucks. i wanted to root for kemo cause he's from my hometown but he just isnt nfl material

i don't think anyone doubts colon is a good player, but you have to say his durability as a question mark is a very justified one.

Hawaii 5-0
04-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Good find! Thanks for sharing, but now if he could only wait until the ball is snapped to move.... false starts are just as bad as a sack.

not trying to be a jerk but that's not a true statement.

you don't lose a down on a false start but you do with a sack.

also, your QB doesn't get hurt on a false start whereas the QB can definitely be injured from getting sacked not to mention sacks are often for bigger losses than five yards.

giving up sacks as an OL are way worse than committing a false start...

Steelersfan87
04-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Colon had 6 penalties in 2009. Flozell Adams had 9 in 2010 (3 declined).

Hawaii 5-0
04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
and chris kemo sucks. i wanted to root for kemo cause he's from my hometown but he just isnt nfl material

you're a Kahuku boy?

Fire Arians
04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
you're a Kahuku boy?

kaneohe, still reppin the eastside tho haha

Curtain_of_Steel
04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Well I rather the dope get a penalty than my QB getting hit 15 times a game. To say the other way around, is ridiculous.
These ass's need to protect Ben plain and simple and they dont.

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2012, 12:08 AM
kaneohe, still reppin the eastside tho haha
i lived in kaneohe for 8 months when i was working on the H3 tunnel. had an appartment on lilipuna rd.

tony hipchest
04-18-2012, 12:59 AM
did they finish that tunnel to the mainland yet?

ricardisimo
04-18-2012, 02:16 AM
I want to know who the hell started this idea that Colon was a penalty magnet. He was average in that regard, pretty darned good in most other areas. Everything but durability, really.

:toofunny:

Fire Arians
04-18-2012, 02:51 AM

lol we can't even build a monorail from the airport to waikiki

steelax04
04-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Kemo's 15 yard unnecessary roughness > Colon's 5 yard false start

Plus, what is an average sack for Ben? I would venture a guess and say 7+ yards, plus loss of down. So I don't understand how a false start is as bad as a sack.

Fire Arians
04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Kemo's 15 yard unnecessary roughness > Colon's 5 yard false start

Plus, what is an average sack for Ben? I would venture a guess and say 7+ yards, plus loss of down. So I don't understand how a false start is as bad as a sack.

this, besides i don't remember the last time anyone got injured as a result of a false start

truesteelerfan
04-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Geeze - OK, I wasn't actually talking about the physical difference of a few feet for a sack vs. a false start - Yes, you are all correct, in full detail a false start is not as bad, setting us back only 5 yards as opposed to 7 - and it keeps our QB from being hit...BUT...What about if it is 3rd and inches - now its 3rd and long - not all false starts happen on a play when Ben would have even dropped back to pass. He has to THINK, he's physically very strong - which is needed to defend against the pass rush, but if he's not disciplined enough to wait for the ball to be snapped, he can hurt us more often than just not giving up pressures.

Where were all you Colon supporters when his agent was claiming he was one of the best tackles in the game and should be paid accordingly - it sounds like you now all agree with him.

Steelersfan87
04-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I've agreed with that assessment since 2009.

Again, he had 4 false starts in 2009. That's really not a big deal. I can live with that from a high quality starting right tackle.

Bayz101
04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Might as well throw my Hawaii off-topic thread derailer in their:

I'm heading to Waimea in a few months :tt03:

steelax04
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Geeze - OK, I wasn't actually talking about the physical difference of a few feet for a sack vs. a false start - Yes, you are all correct, in full detail a false start is not as bad, setting us back only 5 yards as opposed to 7 - and it keeps our QB from being hit...BUT...What about if it is 3rd and inches - now its 3rd and long - not all false starts happen on a play when Ben would have even dropped back to pass. He has to THINK, he's physically very strong - which is needed to defend against the pass rush, but if he's not disciplined enough to wait for the ball to be snapped, he can hurt us more often than just not giving up pressures.

Where were all you Colon supporters when his agent was claiming he was one of the best tackles in the game and should be paid accordingly - it sounds like you now all agree with him.

BUT... What if we get that 1st down and then Kemo decides to jump on top of the pile? Then it's 3rd and 16... you could do this what if stuff all day long.

Point is, Colon doesn't have this long laundry list of penalities like people make it out to be. Even Michael Oher, who I think is pretty good, had 4 false starts and 5 holds last year.

FrancoLambert
04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Sad commentary on the state of our O-line when we discuss "which is better? or "which is the worst?" And our choices are:

"False Start, Unnecessary Roughness, or "Giving Up a Sack."

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
The thing about Colon that I get frustrated by? Not the overall impact of his few penalties, but that he keeps getting penalized for the same, damn thing, over and over.

By the time these guys reach the NFL and professional level, neutral zone infractions should be all but unheard of. I recall my days as a young Center/Guard in peewee, junior high, and varsity. Getting all 5 guys to learn how to line up properly is the very first thing we were taught.

It isn't all that hard either-- the guards line up their toes with the center's heels, and the tackles should be parallel with them. When we messed this up, we got to run the hill. It was pretty simple.

No matter what the QB says the snap is on in the huddle, whether it be "on 1" or "on 3", you aren't supposed to leave your stance once set until you see the ball start to move. OLinemen are supposed to be seeing the ball out of the corners of their eyes and not moving a muscle until the ball starts to come back. This ensures that even in a noisy stadium, the Oline will be synced up.