PDA

View Full Version : 24th pick: Cordy Glenn, Hightower and Worthy

RuHappy69
04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
are all still there. Which do you take? I would pull the trigger on Hightower only because the draft is so weak at ILB and we do have a serious need at ILB. I think it's a deeper draft for Guards/Tackles as well as interior lineman.

Solak
04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
I would take Hightower or Glenn in that order. Was hoping to get Zeitler in the 2nd but his stock is too high and he'll probably go early second, but there are plenty of other OG/OT to take in the 2nd. If we went Glenn or another OL in the first I'd look at Ta'amu in the second.

Hawaii 5-0
04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
I would take Cordy Glenn and then Dont'a Hightower.

Steelersfan87
04-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Considering the decreasing belief by many that Glenn has the frame to be a guard and is clearly more of a tackle, and Worthy is more of a 4-3 DT than a 3-4 NT, I would take Hightower out of these three without batting an eye. Also, as the OP mentioned, the draft is deeper at those positions than it is at ILB.

ETL
04-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I know everybody is high on Hightower BUT we have 3 stars right now as LBs (Harrison, Woodley and Timmons) and only 1 solid player on the OL.

Don't you think we would be guilty of IGNORING THE OL again if we pick Hightower over Glenn?

Steelersfan87
04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I have a feeling that Hightower ranks higher on the Steelers' board than Glenn. I also think a lot of the other OL candidates that will be available at 24 would be a reach, and Colbert isn't a fan of that, especially in the first round.

ETL
04-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I have a feeling that Hightower ranks higher on the Steelers' board than Glenn. I also think a lot of the other OL candidates that will be available at 24 would be a reach, and Colbert isn't a fan of that, especially in the first round.

i like your reasoning. i feel that the steelers have not been ignoring the OL but have decided not to reach for one in round 1. i like how we draft and we do well because we generally take the best player available.

Sean95m
04-19-2012, 12:40 AM
We will take the highest rated player on our board, we arent as desperate as people think. Although I would not be surprised if we move u or down in the draft if A. someone is there we want, or B. move down to stock up.... Also dont be surprised if we go after a CB in the 1st round.

tanda10506
04-19-2012, 12:48 AM
We will take the highest rated player on our board, we arent as desperate as people think. Although I would not be surprised if we move u or down in the draft if A. someone is there we want, or B. move down to stock up.... Also dont be surprised if we go after a CB in the 1st round.

Is there any CB's in the first round capable of starting this year in LeBeau's defense? If not, then no reason to go for a CB after getting Brown and Allen last year. It's a realistic posibility that Allen and/or Brown will become starting quality corners and after playing as well as they did when they were given opportunities last year, I would say they deserve to get a chance. If there is a starting CB in the first round I would understand it (idk if there is or not, I'm just saying if), but if not I dont see why we would draft a first rounder to sit on the bench.

Hawaii 5-0
04-19-2012, 12:53 AM

I agree, we will draft the highest rated player on our board as that is our philosophy.

however, I would be very very surprised if we selected a CB in Round 1 as we already have Ike Taylor and young CBs that we are very high on in Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen.

Rick5895
04-19-2012, 05:35 AM
Hightower is a beast. If he is available to us at 24 and they pass on him and he ends up in Baltimore we , as fans , will scream bloody murder. Hightower is a very high motor intelligent player (he called and ran Saban's defense) , who I beleive could come in and start very early in the season and quite possibly be the NFL defensive rookie of the year.

cbrunn
04-19-2012, 06:12 AM
i think the first picks are pretty clear ... either Poe, Hightower , Bobby Massie, or Mike Adams

ANDYMISIU
04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
I want Hightower!! would love to have a great prospect at ILB. Plus, I need a new jersey soon to replace my Harrison jersey. Not sure who that player would be.

Hawaii 5-0
04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
i think the first picks are pretty clear ... either Poe, Hightower , Bobby Massie, or Mike Adams

I highly doubt the Steelers will select a guy who tested positive for marijuana at the Combine two months ago...

Ohio State's Mike Adams might not slip in NFL draft

By Jason La Canfora
Published: April 19, 2012

Ohio State tackle Mike Adams tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, according to league sources, but has been upfront with teams since learning of the result and might not slip that much because of it.

Interested teams have been in close contact with Adams, and have been impressed that he has already completed counseling.

The positive result will make him a moderate risk, and could result in him sliding to the second round, but other players with positive results in years past still have ended up in the first round. Adams has told people he was unaware of the positive result at the time of combine interviews, which is why he did not tell teams then.

Since then he has been forthright and league sources said he is viewed as a "good kid" who obviously made a mistake. The key for Adams will be learning from it.

Several teams said they were impressed with Adams during interviews with him.

Several teams picking late in the first round and early in the second round are in the market for offensive linemen in this draft.

Some teams that like Adams may be able to trade down and still get him. For players, falling into the second round could cost them about $300,000 a year, but, on the positive side, second-round contracts are for four years and not five, so players could get that second contract sooner.

Adams' representatives were not immediately available for comment.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8286fc53/article/ohio-states-mike-adams-might-not-slip-in-nfl-draft

Fire Arians
04-19-2012, 12:25 PM
i'm just wondering what the farrior haters will think of hightower when he's getting burned by rb's and te's, he's a good run stuffer but can't cover for crap (like farrior in his later career).

i'd love to compare him to levon kirkland, but kirk was a good cover LB despite his size

19ward86
04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Hightower or Glenn. honestly its just a guessing game. I think Hightower has a bigger chance to be great but both will be solid players.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-19-2012, 04:30 PM
i'm just wondering what the farrior haters will think of hightower when he's getting burned by rb's and te's, he's a good run stuffer but can't cover for crap (like farrior in his later career).

i'd love to compare him to levon kirkland, but kirk was a good cover LB despite his size

So you are a Hightower hater then?? The kid seems to do a good job of getting to his landmarks in zone pass coverage. Will he run with the Jimmy Graham and Gronkowski type TE's, no, but neither will hardly any other ILB in the NFL.

I think Hightower will be solid inside and could even play outside opposite Woodley if needed. Cordy Glenn is looking like a RT and I dont think we need to spend #24 at RT, but he would be a good one.

Mike Adams positive test for pot probably slips him off the list in the 1st and if anything, I would say it puts Bobbie Massie around there.

Honestly, I hope its any one of Hightower, Jon Martin, Mark Barron, Bobbie Massie, Kevin Zeitler.

FrancoLambert
04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
I know everybody is high on Hightower BUT we have 3 stars right now as LBs (Harrison, Woodley and Timmons) and only 1 solid player on the OL.

Don't you think we would be guilty of IGNORING THE OL again if we pick Hightower over Glenn?

Couldn't agree with you more.
Sure Hightower would be nice, but our O-line needs are much greater than ILB, Safety, NT.
If we want to see this team max out while we have Ben and these talented WR's, the O-line has got to be improved significantly.
Otherwise, same results as last year should be expected.
Make the playoffs and out you go.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Couldn't agree with you more.
Sure Hightower would be nice, but our O-line needs are much greater than ILB, Safety, NT.
If we want to see this team max out while we have Ben and these talented WR's, the O-line has got to be improved significantly.
Otherwise, same results as last year should be expected.
Make the playoffs and out you go.

What do you like so much about Cordy Glenn that you think we need to spend the #24 pick on him?? What if we could get Kelechi Osemele or Mitchell Schwartz in the 2nd round?? Or Brandon Brooks in the 2nd or 3rd round??

This is the issue in this years draft. Lots of good O linemen that will be around in the forst 3 rounds. Keuchly and Hightower are the only 2 real talents worth that 1st round pick at LB

Cordy Glenn might not be a good guard in the NFL anyways. He could be the equivalent of Gosder Cherilus, a RT.

Steelersfan87
04-19-2012, 05:47 PM
The failures of the offensive line are also vastly exaggerated while ignoring the excessive amount of injuries that they suffered last year and the fact that much of the damage Roethlisberger takes is largely his own fault. You could have the best 5 linemen in the game that work in sync with one another and Ben will still take 3 times as many sacks as Peyton Manning. Health alone will improve upon what the line did last year with Pouncey, Colon, Legursky, and Gilbert all healthy. The Steelers do NOT need a first round offensive lineman in a deep class, and it's looking unlikely that the BPA at #24 will be one.

pancake
04-20-2012, 04:07 AM
We need OL, NT, LB in the first 3 rounds in no particular order...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2012, 10:04 AM
The failures of the offensive line are also vastly exaggerated while ignoring the excessive amount of injuries that they suffered last year and the fact that much of the damage Roethlisberger takes is largely his own fault. You could have the best 5 linemen in the game that work in sync with one another and Ben will still take 3 times as many sacks as Peyton Manning. Health alone will improve upon what the line did last year with Pouncey, Colon, Legursky, and Gilbert all healthy. The Steelers do NOT need a first round offensive lineman in a deep class, and it's looking unlikely that the BPA at #24 will be one.

I tend to agree. Ben scrambles and takes more sacks because of the way he plays. But, I also think that Legursky is backup talent that should not be starting and our best LT is a 2nd year player.

We need to add some talent to the O line. Not necessarily in round 1, but if guys like Jon Martin or Bobbie Massie are there, it might be tempting. Good guards can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round, but athletic OT's are always a premium need.

Steelersfan87
04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
I still think there's a good chance Starks returns this season to be the 3rd tackle.

I'm willing to give Legursky more time to fend for a job, simply due to how many injuries he's dealt with, but the reality is that he may be battling a high round rookie for the starting LG position, and of course I'm perfectly fine with that. He obviously possesses more value as a flexible backup than as a mediocre starter. Having Legursky and Essex (or Starks) as the reserve linemen on gameday would be a great luxury.

FrancoLambert
04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
What do you like so much about Cordy Glenn that you think we need to spend the #24 pick on him?? What if we could get Kelechi Osemele or Mitchell Schwartz in the 2nd round?? Or Brandon Brooks in the 2nd or 3rd round??

This is the issue in this years draft. Lots of good O linemen that will be around in the forst 3 rounds. Keuchly and Hightower are the only 2 real talents worth that 1st round pick at LB

Cordy Glenn might not be a good guard in the NFL anyways. He could be the equivalent of Gosder Cherilus, a RT.

Good, let's get a couple of them too. Do you think one O-lineman is going to solve our problem with this unit?
Go down the depth chart.....aside from Pouncey, a bunch of seviceable back-ups.
Fill-ins at best. Here's the problem, most of them fit this description and make up our entire line.
Ignore this need again and expect the same offensive results.

Kingmagyar
04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
If we still need to address the inside linebacker spot after round 1, I like Bobby Wagner Utah State.

If we get Cordy Glenn then I think he will be a pro bowl player in a few years at G or RT.

If we get Hightower I think he will make big plays and hits to win games on a regular basis. Early Kendrell Bell but better.

I think Jerel Worthy is the safest pick at NT in this draft. Every other candidate has question marks in their games, or work habits. Worthy would be like Dallas' Jay Ratliff, more a penetrating NT who makes more plays in the backfield and gets more sacks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Good, let's get a couple of them too. Do you think one O-lineman is going to solve our problem with this unit?
Go down the depth chart.....aside from Pouncey, a bunch of seviceable back-ups.
Fill-ins at best. Here's the problem, most of them fit this description and make up our entire line.
Ignore this need again and expect the same offensive results.

I honestly think that 1 O lineman and a lack of injuries can solve the problem with this unit. I believe that the Steelers will draft 2 O linemen, but am expecting a 1st and 4th round pick scenario.

Lets look at the O line by positions:

Left Tackle- Gilbert will go to camp as the starter with Essex the backup
Left Guard- This is where we need to draft somebody, or else Legursky or Chris Scott will be incumbent.
Center- Pouncey, enough said. (Legursky backup)
Right Guard- Foster has been a good starter there. Room to be pushed, but fine.
Right Tackle- Colon has been a solid starter when healthy. If healthy, then no problem.

So add 2 draft picks to the mix, or a veteran free agent and that is what we go with. Not really the end of the world as some think.

Steelersfan87
04-20-2012, 06:06 PM
I honestly think that 1 O lineman and a lack of injuries can solve the problem with this unit. I believe that the Steelers will draft 2 O linemen, but am expecting a 1st and 4th round pick scenario.

Lets look at the O line by positions:

Left Tackle- Gilbert will go to camp as the starter with Essex the backup
Left Guard- This is where we need to draft somebody, or else Legursky or Chris Scott will be incumbent.
Center- Pouncey, enough said. (Legursky backup)
Right Guard- Foster has been a good starter there. Room to be pushed, but fine.
Right Tackle- Colon has been a solid starter when healthy. If healthy, then no problem.

So add 2 draft picks to the mix, or a veteran free agent and that is what we go with. Not really the end of the world as some think.

Well said. I agree with just about everything you said, although I tend to feel that the BPA for them in the first round will not be an offensive lineman. I think there's a HIGH probability that they draft a guard in round two, especially, obviously, if they don't take a lineman in round 1. One must also keep in mind that Roethlisberger's style of play often makes the unit look worse than it is, and would make anybody look worse at times.

steel-EERS
04-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I think the steelers take whoever is rated the highest on there board and that player will most likely be a probowl player! Worthy I think is not a great fit for the steelers but I have seen them take players before that were thought to not be a good matches. Glenn I don't think will be there, same for adams. if either is there I would think they jump on them IMO. Hightower looks like a sure thing but the only thing that really matters is if the steeler FO thinks he is and we won't know that for a few days.

ETL
04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't see why we have so much confidence in Gilbert being a good LT.

I am not trying to be chicken little. I just don't see the body of work to justify the confidence in him.

Steelersfan87
04-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Because he was a good right tackle and he was a better left tackle in college and looked good there in the preseason.

tony hipchest
04-20-2012, 09:47 PM
i think we will be fine with gilbert at LT.

if we spend anything higher than a third round pick for a LT, i think alot of fans just expect j. ogden or o. pace type of play.

unfortunately those guys only come around about twice every 10 years and we will never draft high enough to select one. we should be ecstatic with the potential of gilbert. i think any steelers 2nd round pick that isnt a bust is gravy (sweed, jackson, colclough etc)

austinfrench76
04-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I would love Hightower or Poe but I think they will both be gone so if Fleener is sitting there, I would have no problem with that or the best OG available.

ricardisimo
04-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Colbert has never picked defense first two years in a row. I think that's by design. Glenn, or we trade up for DeCastro.

Dalarin
04-21-2012, 03:21 AM
If we still need to address the inside linebacker spot after round 1, I like Bobby Wagner Utah State.

If we get Cordy Glenn then I think he will be a pro bowl player in a few years at G or RT.

If we get Hightower I think he will make big plays and hits to win games on a regular basis. Early Kendrell Bell but better.

I think Jerel Worthy is the safest pick at NT in this draft. Every other candidate has question marks in their games, or work habits. Worthy would be like Dallas' Jay Ratliff, more a penetrating NT who makes more plays in the backfield and gets more sacks.

He didn't make big plays to win games in Alabama. All of the talent around him did that. He may have made them look better but no one game was one because of a big play or plays he made. Simply put solid but not spectacular. That defense as a whole did really well but he may be the 4th best player on that defense at best.

Rick5895
04-21-2012, 03:29 AM
He didn't make big plays to win games in Alabama. All of the talent around him did that. He may have made them look better but no one game was one because of a big play or plays he made. Simply put solid but not spectacular. That defense as a whole did really well but he may be the 4th best player on that defense at best.

The difference with Hightower is that while he may not have made the "big play " as you put it, he was the defensive captain and ran Sabans D to perfection. Very high football IQ. But he is also an ILB and "big or splash "plays aren't what you judge those players on. Being able to call the D and be a tackling machine and having sideline to sideline range is , IMO, the most important things for an ILB. That IS Hightower. I am hping he is there for us, but I have a feeling the Ratbirds just might trade up to get him.

Steelersfan87
04-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Sideline to sideline range is NOT one of Hightower's strengths. Bur pairing him up with a player like Timmons would sort of neutralize that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2012, 07:57 AM

I am not trying to be chicken little. I just don't see the body of work to justify the confidence in him.

Honestly, I was skeptical of him coming out of Florida, mainly because the spread offense they run isnt something that you can really evaluate a LT prospect at. Also, he looked to be a big guy that was more a run blocker than pass protector.

You could tell that in the 1st preseason game that he had the agility to play the left side. I am not that keen on putting a young guy on Ben's blind side, but he showed he can handle pass protection well enough, has the size and decent hand placement.

Basically, a kid that big, with quick feet, long arms and decent hand placement can play LT. Best thing is that he and Kugler get to work at it more before opening day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Sideline to sideline range is NOT one of Hightower's strengths. Bur pairing him up with a player like Timmons would sort of neutralize that.

Yup....and what most fans forget is that the hashmarks in the NFL are narrower than in college football. NCAA allows for more sweeps, where the NFL is a "between the tackles" type of game.

Same reason guys like Reggie Bush are great in college, but mediocre in the NFL. Hightower would be a solid ILB in the NFL.

FrancoLambert
04-21-2012, 08:13 AM

:applaudit:

As well as many of the others. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I will.
Essex? Foster? J. Scott :doh:? Legursky? C. Scott? Starks? Colon?
Too many question marks for a top O-line unit.
Here's my point, again. If we don't upgrade this unit significantly expect the same results
from this unit: Ben getting killed, ineffective running game, and RB's dancing and looking for a hole that doesn't exist. :noidea:
This unit was man-handled too many times last season.
Hope, wishes, and higher expectations will not improve this unit.
Upgrading the talent base will.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2012, 02:29 PM
One could say that with Pouncey, Gilbert, Colon. ....there is a decent talent base there already. Just need a couple reasonable picks to go along with Foster. Then Essex, Legursky, maybe Chris Scott backing up is reasonable.

I find it amusing that everybody thinks we draft a guy and he will instantly pay dividends. Not always the case, so if we get Jon Martin, Silatolu, Brandon Brooks or Bobbie Massie, they probaby will not start on opening day. More experienced and polished guys like Zeitler, maybe Glenn or Osemele could.

tony hipchest
04-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Basically, a kid that big, with quick feet, long arms and decent hand placement can play LT. Best thing is that he and Kugler get to work at it more before opening day.plus he already has a year of experince vs live bullets under his belt.

hell, im pretty sure even jonothan ogden started a year on the right side before becoming a HOFer on the left.

Kingmagyar
04-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Cordy Glenn is ranked 21st to Hightower who is ranked 41st at cbssports.com

Draftcountdown.com
Glenn 15th
Hightower 25th

is another example and so far i have found one that ranks Hightower higher then Glenn, and that was Gil Brandt and that was only a 3 player difference between the two.

I would be very happy if Glenn were still there as he can play RT and LG and coaching at this level will get the most out of him. If that does in fact happen the Steelers could still land a very good inside linebacker in my opinion in the 2nd in Bobby Wagner Utah State and get a Guard or NT in round 3.

2nd choice would be Worthy as a NT, and last would be Hightower.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Cordy Glenn is ranked 21st to Hightower who is ranked 41st at cbssports.com

Draftcountdown.com
Glenn 15th
Hightower 25th

is another example and so far i have found one that ranks Hightower higher then Glenn, and that was Gil Brandt and that was only a 3 player difference between the two.

I would be very happy if Glenn were still there as he can play RT and LG and coaching at this level will get the most out of him. If that does in fact happen the Steelers could still land a very good inside linebacker in my opinion in the 2nd in Bobby Wagner Utah State and get a Guard or NT in round 3.

2nd choice would be Worthy as a NT, and last would be Hightower.

I'm not sold on Jerel Worthy as a NT as much as a DT in a 4-3. I read one report that some teams are looking at him as a possible 3-4 DE.

As for Glenn, I think he is going to be a solidt RT in the NFL for years. But you can find RT prospects without using the #24 pick on them. Its not a premium position. Glenn may play guard, but his knee bend and game film at guard wasnt great. He plays high.

Some may think that Hightower is a reach, but others dont. I think that in a year with him as one of the 2 top ILB prospects and not a lot of other top talent behind him, that if he is there we should take him. As much as we need O line help, we also need an ILB. Take the best O lineman in round #2 as there is good depth there or trade down, get Zeilter and another pick in maybe the 3rd round.

ricardisimo
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
You can indeed find quality guards in later rounds (and even undrafted) but the fact remains that the Steelers really haven't done so. Hence the situation in which we find ourselves today.

Obviously, Glenn's being mocked near our pick - and as a guard, mind you - for a reason. That is to say you can also find quality guards/RTs at the #24 pick of the 1st round, and if you need him, why not take him there?

If ever there were a year I could see the Steelers trading up ten slots this is it. If DeCastro drops out of the top 15, why not do it? Charley Casserly has him going to the Bengals at 21. Or, if you believe that Glenn could be everything that DeCastro looks to be and then some, stay put and smile your way into the 2012 season. But if we're going to discuss positions of value at the #24 slot based on history, then yeah, take Hightower or whoever drops to us. Problem is that formula would include QBs and WRs we don't really need. At some point you have to discuss our actual needs.

Steelersfan87
04-22-2012, 01:31 PM
More than enough people question Glenn's ability to play guard for me to consider it questionable. I would rather draft a pure guard. And trading up 10 spots would cost way too much with the holes in the roster this year due to cuts and retirements.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Ric, ask yourself who is mocking Cordy Glenn as a guard. Kiper, Don Banks, Walter Football?? Then look at Hipcheeses post of Larry Zeriline saying that Glenn is a waist bender and might be a RT. Look at Mayock ranking him as an OT. Its what I said after seeing him move at the combine too.

I dont think you spend #24 pick on a RT. I also dont think you need to trade up from #24 to get a OG. If you think that we need to take any O lineman that will improve the unit, then by all means take Glenn, Zeitler, Konz Massie or whoever is there.

I just think the Steelers may find Hightower there and think he is a better value and they can find their OG in round 2. Just like last yr when I thought we were fine at DE and really needed O line, but they went Heyward in 1 and Gilbert in round 2.

ricardisimo
04-22-2012, 01:56 PM
More than enough people question Glenn's ability to play guard for me to consider it questionable. I would rather draft a pure guard. And trading up 10 spots would cost way too much with the holes in the roster this year due to cuts and retirements.
But "position flexibility" has been a stated goal of Tomlin's since Day One. That he can play both should not work against him, quite to the contrary. That would make no sense. And people say this as though RT is a walk in the park. :noidea:
Ric, ask yourself who is mocking Cordy Glenn as a guard. Kiper, Don Banks, Walter Football?? Then look at Hipcheeses post of Larry Zeriline saying that Glenn is a waist bender and might be a RT. Look at Mayock ranking him as an OT. Its what I said after seeing him move at the combine too.

I dont think you spend #24 pick on a RT. I also dont think you need to trade up from #24 to get a OG. If you think that we need to take any O lineman that will improve the unit, then by all means take Glenn, Zeitler, Konz Massie or whoever is there.

I just think the Steelers may find Hightower there and think he is a better value and they can find their OG in round 2. Just like last yr when I thought we were fine at DE and really needed O line, but they went Heyward in 1 and Gilbert in round 2.
Hey, look, I've seen Kevin Zeitler mocked to us in the second round. If someone can guarantee that, then I'd be tickled pink with Hightower. However, as has been pointed out numerous times elsewhere, we have meat at ILB and LB generally. We got nothing at guard. At some point all of the philosophies, whether BPA, strategic drafting, even Advanced Capology all need to take a backseat to reality. Reality is we need guards (at least one bona fide guard) more than we need anything else.

At some point keeping Ben alive and helping out a newly suspect running back corps will become Job #1.

Steelersfan87
04-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Okay, but we don't need a right tackle. Or a left tackle. If he can't play guard like a first rounder, then I don't want to draft him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 02:43 PM
But "position flexibility" has been a stated goal of Tomlin's since Day One. That he can play both should not work against him, quite to the contrary. That would make no sense. And people say this as though RT is a walk in the park. :noidea:

Hey, look, I've seen Kevin Zeitler mocked to us in the second round. If someone can guarantee that, then I'd be tickled pink with Hightower. However, as has been pointed out numerous times elsewhere, we have meat at ILB and LB generally. We got nothing at guard. At some point all of the philosophies, whether BPA, strategic drafting, even Advanced Capology all need to take a backseat to reality. Reality is we need guards (at least one bona fide guard) more than we need anything else.

At some point keeping Ben alive and helping out a newly suspect running back corps will become Job #1.

I agree that we need a guard. I think Foster is serviceable, but we need another starting caliber guard. Keep in mind that whoever we draft might not start on day 1 and interior linemen generally dont grade out as 1st round picks, so you can get a lot of decent interior linemen in the 2nd or 3rd.

I have heard some say Zeitler may be the best run blocking lineman in the NFL draft this year. I am really curious to see what the Steelers think of Brandon Brooks and would not be surprised to see him drafted in the 2nd or 3rd by the Steelers.

I would really enjoy if our 1st 4 picks went like this. 1. Hightower, 2. Osemele (OG/OT), 3. Brooks (OG), 4 Hebron Fangopu (NT). but I know it wont.

ricardisimo
04-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I would really enjoy if our 1st 4 picks went like this. 1. Hightower, 2. Osemele (OG/OT), 3. Brooks (OG), 4 Hebron Fangopu (NT). but I know it wont.
That would be awesome. And if any three of those became full or part-time starters by next year, glorious.

It would be nice to get an immediate starter out of this draft, and I would think that guard would be the most likely candidate. That is part of my reasoning in favor of DeCastro/Glenn. Still, Zeitler or even Osemele in the second could conceivably start right away.

dyce23
04-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I was doing some research last night, and I honestly think we'll go with Hightower with that pick. Someone mentioned his lack of coverage skills, though, and that does worry me - a lot! However, he's almost perfect in every other aspect (rushing the passer, shedding blocks, wrapping up when tackling, going for ball strips). So, I'm kinda conflicted because I see someone that will be completely dominant in the running game, yet I'm worried about him in the passing game. Hopefully, our coaching staff can help in that area as well though.

What do you guys think about taking Hightower in the first, Josh Chapman in the second, and Josh Norman in the third? Chapman anchored that d-line with a torn acl last year, so that was impressive to me. He also runs a 4.92 40 for a NT when healthy, so he's definitely athletic and usually drew double teams (even with the acl). Norman is listed as a corner, but his 4.57 speed would make me take him strictly as a safety prospect. He has AMAZING ball skills though. Any opinions on these?

Kingmagyar
04-22-2012, 03:10 PM
To El-Gonzo Jackson

It is perfectly feasible all 4 of your picks will be there and the best pick for the Steelers so you might hit 4 out of 4.
If Osemele is on the right and Brooks the left with Pouncey in the middle? Plus Osemele I think would make a great RT as well so we have options. You also get a great ILB as well heads above many beneath him.

ricardisimo
04-22-2012, 03:10 PM
So, no line help in the first three rounds? No dyce.

P.S. - This thread should probably go in the War Room, no?

dyce23
04-22-2012, 03:13 PM
So, no line help in the first three rounds? No dyce.

Lol. I agree we need the help, but I doubt our front office does anything about it until later in the draft. I guess I'm used to that model now, and I hate to get my hopes up for something different this year.

FrancoLambert
04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Okay, but we don't need a right tackle. Or a left tackle. If he can't play guard like a first rounder, then I don't want to draft him.

Please remind us who our "stud" left and right tacles are.
Our O-line is generally too weak to be so hung up on value, "who we pick where."
Sure it matters, but our present needs with this unit should take precedence.
Guards, Tackles, I'll take either. For this O to improve we need both.

tony hipchest
04-22-2012, 04:02 PM
P.S. - This thread should probably go in the War Room, no?it should be, yes, but as the lone "24th draft" pick thread it is sorta helping keep things confined here and help prevent even more redundant draft related clutter and repetitive discussion in the main forum.

i love the sound of this.- 1. Hightower, 2. Osemele (OG/OT), 3. Brooks (OG), 4 Hebron Fangopu (NT).

if we could land juron criner (WR) in the 5th, i'd cream my jeans, but that definitely isnt happening... well maybe the jeans creaming part will.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 04:06 PM
To El-Gonzo Jackson

It is perfectly feasible all 4 of your picks will be there and the best pick for the Steelers so you might hit 4 out of 4.
If Osemele is on the right and Brooks the left with Pouncey in the middle? Plus Osemele I think would make a great RT as well so we have options. You also get a great ILB as well heads above many beneath him.

I know, that is exactly what I am thinking and I think that is where those guys will go. My thought is that Brooks might not start this year, but eventually I think the O line could be in 2 years or more....

LT, Gilbert- LG Brooks- C, Pouncey- RG Foster(or Chris Scott)- RT Osemele. That is a big nasty group potentially. Plus we get our ILB tandem of Hightower and Timmons !!!

GBMelBlount
04-22-2012, 04:29 PM
To El-Gonzo Jackson

If Osemele is on the right and Brooks the left with Pouncey in the middle? Plus Osemele I think would make a great RT as well so we have options

You also get a great ILB as well heads above many beneath him.

With our offensive line arguably in the bottom 5 in the league, I would love to see 2 picks in the earlier rounds.

However with such a strong need at ILB and less depth than the other positions of need (O line and NT) I would be pleased with Hightower in the 1st.

Steelersfan87
04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Please remind us who our "stud" left and right tacles are.
Our O-line is generally too weak to be so hung up on value, "who we pick where."
Sure it matters, but our present needs with this unit should take precedence.
Guards, Tackles, I'll take either. For this O to improve we need both.

The Steelers' situation at tackle is much better than at guard. When Colon was last healthy, he WAS a "stud" right tackle, and Gilbert has great potential to be a high quality left tackle. So why would you value tackle over guard? The only issue, aside from Colon's health, which I'm fine 'gambling' on, is depth, which they could solve by re-signing Starks. They're also high on Trevis Turner on the practice squad. I believe they will draft a tackle, but not in the first round.

ricardisimo
04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
if we could land juron criner (WR) in the 5th, i'd cream my jeans, but that definitely isnt happening... well maybe the jeans creaming part will.
:ttiwwp:

I know, that is exactly what I am thinking and I think that is where those guys will go. My thought is that Brooks might not start this year, but eventually I think the O line could be in 2 years or more....

LT, Gilbert- LG Brooks- C, Pouncey- RG Foster(or Chris Scott)- RT Osemele. That is a big nasty group potentially. Plus we get our ILB tandem of Hightower and Timmons !!!

May I ask why you don't have Osemele playing LG and Colon staying put for a few years? He is under contract for a while, you know.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 11:38 PM
:

May I ask why you don't have Osemele playing LG and Colon staying put for a few years? He is under contract for a while, you know.

I am thinking 2013 or 2014 that Colon might become a cap casualty as the Steelers will have to sign some younger talent long term. I think Osemele can play G, but may turn out to be better at RT.

I'm a big fan of Colon and was complimenting his play 4 or 5 years ago when most complained about him. I just think he may not see a 3rd contract with the Steelers.

Hawaii 5-0
04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Ed Bouchette's 2012 NFL Draft Board

April 22, 2012

Dont'a Hightower

6-2 • 265 • Alabama
Could be leader of a defense for years. Does it all inside and Steelers highly interested.

Cordy Glenn

6-5 • 345 • Georgia

Some consider him a tackle for the pros. He started at guard (32) and left tackle (18) so take him and take your pick.

Jerel Worthy

6-2 • 309 • Michigan State

Opposite of Poe, he had outstanding season but so-so workouts. Good NT fit for team like the Steelers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/ed-bouchettes-2012-nfl-draft-board-632551/

pancake
04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
I am leaning toward Hightower because of the depth of the position. Seems to be a big drop off after the first 2 ILB, but where is OL and DT seems to be deep.

BKAnthem
04-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Because he was a good right tackle and he was a better left tackle in college and looked good there in the preseason.

Ummm...wasn't he in the dog house in preseason and benched once during regular season?

Steelersfan87
04-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Training camp, not preseason. And yeah. Want to follow up on why that matters?

Hawaii 5-0
04-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Ed Bouchette's chat transcript 4/24/12:

Kjacksonpgh: Hi Ed, Do you believe the pick will be if Dontari Poe, Jerel Worthy or Donta Hightower would be is there at 24?

Ed Bouchette: I think Poe.

JamesinNYC: Are you still high on Poe or has the Underwear Olypmic high worn off? Poe or Hightower?

Ed Bouchette: If both are there, I think they go Poe.

Kordells Revenge: Ed, all of this talk about them taking Poe is nonsense, would you agree they should take a performer over potential?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, and they generally feel that way, but I still believe they have Poe rated high.

JerseySteel: Ed, if Poe is indeed their first pick, do you see him starting the season as the #1 NT?

Ed Bouchette: It sounds as if he's one of those who can use a little grooming first. So, no, unless Hampton can't play.

BillinSF: Why have you "soured a little bit on Cordy Glenn"?

Ed Bouchette: Because I heard they did not have him ranked as high as I thought they might.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116079-ed-bouchettes-steelers-chat-transcript-42412

Steel_Bus_24
04-25-2012, 01:50 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8f_KL612kN7mUAQdvCpCgpyFqOcBvz 286Y-XxCM8CEUu4cLIIDg

I would Hulk-Out if we pass on Hightower for Poe

It would take me a while to remember an have faith in what has been a good FO

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-25-2012, 06:29 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8f_KL612kN7mUAQdvCpCgpyFqOcBvz 286Y-XxCM8CEUu4cLIIDg

It would take me a while to remember an have faith in what has been a good FO

Steelers always draft for the future and Poe would be a perfect pick for the future he just needs some work and he could be a monster.

Even tho i think Hightower will be the pick i just know the Steelers are always one of the teams thats always drafts good so i just sit back and let them do there magic.

NSMaster56
04-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Especially if Hightower were then drafted by the Ravens...

fujirama24
04-25-2012, 07:27 PM
I am hearing that we like poe better than hightower. And he seems to be falling. If he is there and no one else higher has fallen to us. I say he is the pick. Then we take the best OG. In the second and follow that up with either a ILB or a Running Back in round 3.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I am hearing that we like poe better than hightower. And he seems to be falling. If he is there and no one else higher has fallen to us. I say he is the pick. Then we take the best OG. In the second and follow that up with either a ILB or a Running Back in round 3.

If that is the case, then I am hoping for 1. Poe, 2. Osemele, 3. James Michael Johnson ILB(Nevada) 4. Thomas Compton OT South Dakota

Steel_Bus_24
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Hopefully what your hearing is a smokescreen to keep people from trading up

BKAnthem
04-25-2012, 08:06 PM

:drink:

PhantomJB93
04-25-2012, 08:10 PM
But this argument comes up every year. Last year (and the year before) it was "we have NOTHING at CB." I wouldn't be upset with an OL in round 1 but the Steelers shouldn't (and won't) take one just because "there's nothing at guard." Guard (or OL in general) will surely be addressed with a pick in the first 3 rounds, I can guarantee that. But it doesn't mean it has to be first.

Did anybody think we would draft a DE last year with Keisel, Hood, and Smith all still here? And Taylor, Gay (coming off a sucky year), and Lewis our only real CBs? The same argument would have applied there.

StainlessStill
04-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Correct. We need guards but that doesn't necc mean we have to go offensive guard in round 1. There are a ton of valued offensive lineman in this years draft and with Legs, Foster, Essex & Colon coming back for atleast another season, we do have some moveable parts for this offensive line and solid lineman in the later parts of this draft or even next could be placed in right away.

For MLB, we have Foote, Sly and that's about it and that is VERY concerning since Timmons is ready to break out and this is his first season at being a leader in the middle of our defense with Farrior gone. Foote can hold the fort down for another season, but Sly hasn't showed he could even beat out Foote and MLB is a downright STAPLE in how our defense is supposed to work, so taking Hightower & plugging him in to be your impact player in the middle alongside Timmons for the next decade is a MUST grab right now if he's sitting at us at 1.24, hands down.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Steelers’ pick could be obvious

By Scott Brown
Tribune-Review

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Steelers have made 41 draft picks since 2007, general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin’s first year together. Here is a breakdown of the picks. The best pick at a position with more than two selections is in parentheses.

QB: 1

RB: 4 (Rashard Mendenhall, 1st round, 2008)

TE: 2

WR: 5 (Antonio Brown, 6th, ’10)

OL: 8 (Maurkice Pouncey, 1st, ’10)

DL: 5 (Ziggy Hood, 1st round, ’09)

LB: 8 (LaMarr Woodley, 2nd, ’07)

DB: 7 (William Gay, 5th round, ’07)

Specialists: 1

Needs is one of the NFL Draft buzzwords, and it will be said countless times during the made-for-TV extravaganza that starts tonight. Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert prefers the term “wants,” but however he frames it, nothing would help the Steelers more than if Colbert is able to turn back the clock.

Ten years ago Colbert presided over the kind of draft every team is tries to pull off, as it provided immediate dividends and ones that are still paying off.

First-round pick Kendall Simmons started as a rookie at right guard and later helped the Steelers win a Super Bowl.

Second-rounder Antwaan Randle El, a receiver, return man and the NFL’s equivalent of Inspector Gadget, threw the only touchdown pass in Super Bowl XL.

Third-round pick Chris Hope played free safety at a high level before leaving for big money after the Steelers won Super Bowl XL. Fourth-rounder Larry Foote started on two Super Bowl-winning teams and is slated to take over for James Farrior this season at left inside linebacker.

The Steelers made one of their greatest finds at the end of the draft when they took defensive end Brett Keisel in the seventh round with the 242nd pick. Keisel, entering his seventh season as a starter, has been a core player on teams that played in three Super Bowls and won two.

The Steelers could use the kind of drafting skill and serendipity that dovetailed 10 years ago over the next three days.

They have needs and wants on both lines. Farrior’s release and Foote’s age translate into short- and long-term questions at inside linebacker. And you can never have enough pass rushers (read: outside linebackers) for Dick LeBeau’s blitz-centric defense.

The same can be said for cornerbacks in a pass-happy NFL, and starting safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark have played 19 seasons between them, making reinforcements a priority sooner than later.

If the Steelers can go a number of ways with their first-round pick, No. 24 overall, the same can be said for what will happen in front of them.

“I guess there’s less easy picks this year than in a lot of years,” Colbert said.

The one the Steelers should make, assuming he is available, looks obvious. Maybe too obvious.

But Alabama inside linebacker Dont’a Hightower appears to be the right player at the right time. The 6-foot-2, 265-pounder did a good Farrior imitation at Alabama, serving as a leader and playmaker on a star-studded defense.

Hightower, the Crimson Tide’s leading tackler in 2011, is stout against the run and versatile enough to play outside and rush the passer. A left knee injury cost Hightower his sophomore campaign, but it didn’t appear to be an issue in 2011, particularly in the second half of the season.

If his knee checked out medically and another team hasn’t taken him earlier, Hightower is the pick for the Steelers.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/1109574-85/steelers-round-pick-draft-hightower-alabama-colbert-linebacker-super-bowl#ixzz1t75gUMvO

JCPsteelers
04-26-2012, 01:23 AM
I like HIghtower in the 1st

ETL
04-26-2012, 01:29 AM
If I was an NFL GM and wanted to pick a valuable player in round 1, I would find out who the Steelers like and steal him before the Steelers get him (e.g. Darrell Revis)

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 05:34 AM
If I was an NFL GM and wanted to pick a valuable player in round 1, I would find out who the Steelers like and steal him before the Steelers get him (e.g. Darrell Revis)

Im really worried about those FFFers in Balt are going to do just that with Hightower

ricardisimo
04-26-2012, 06:05 AM
I've been watching these past two years as Art Rooney II has started being more vocal about what he wants and expects from his team, and noticing that by and large he's getting it. In that light, I think his very public statements about how the offense is run are very informative. He wants Ben to "tweak" his game and extend his career, he wants us to run the ball more and more effectively, and he's concerned that the Steelers don't get more play out of their rookies and 2nd-year players.

All of this is true, and to me it all suggests that we'll take a guard in the first; a guard who will help keep Ben upright, help improve the running game, and who is much more likely to start in Year One than a NT, ILB or Safety or almost any other position. And the guard who looks most NFL-ready is DeCastro. I don't see us trading up to #15 to get him, but maybe just before Cincy's second pick. I've seen two mocks plug him in at #21. He's an All-Pro starter for the next ten years. Why even think about it? Just do it.

There was indeed a lot of talk about us getting Aaron Williams last year, but the rest of the talk was OL, and we got Gilbert, so that was cool. And Heyward might very well be a beast one day, but that day won't come this year, and maybe not next year either, unless Ziggy moves to the Nose. So why the hell did we draft him? He'll be a stud in Year Four of his Steelers career, sign a mega-deal with the Patriots in that offseason and we'll all be scratching our heads. What was the ****ing point?

One more thing: the real problem with BPA is that you cannot plan a draft out that way. That's what burned us in 2008. Mendenhall was an absolute steal where we got him (and really, only Malcolm Jenkins, of the players taken later in the round, look worthy now of consideration) as was Sweed, but look where it got us. By round three, when we started addressing needs, all of the game-changers were long gone.

MrAustin412
04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
If the Steelers go OL I won't be upset if it's Glenn. Looking at their visits I think it comes down to whether Poe falls (if he does, they will probably nab him) and if Hightower is still there (he could very well be on the rise.)

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/04/pittsburgh-steelers-draft-rumors-donta.html

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Steelers' best bet: It's Hightower

April 26, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kevin Colbert added a few choice phrases to the draft terminology Monday, and they should be kept in mind when trying to decipher who the Steelers might draft tonight.

His first, "Pickin' and hopin' " was precious in its brevity to sum up what most teams will do when they pass along that name to Roger Goodell tonight. Nobody knows how these players will pan out because there are too many variables: Injuries, character, sociological adjustments, growth mentally and physically, determination, etc.

Some teams will try to hammer a round peg into a square hole and draft a player who doesn't fit their system. There is a famous story about the draft in which the Steelers had two first-round choices in 1989, the result of trading holdout linebacker Mike Merriweather for a first-round pick.

It was an important draft because the Steelers went 5-11 in '88 and Chuck Noll had been ordered to fire some coaches. They had the seventh overall pick -- their highest since they drafted Terry Bradshaw No. 1 overall in 1970 -- along with No. 24.

Player personnel director Dick Haley supposedly went to Noll the day before the draft after they decided to take running back Tim Worley of Georgia with their first pick. The Steelers offense used split backs, and Haley warned Noll that Worley would not be effective if used like that. Worley, Haley added, needed to stand up behind a fullback in the I.

Noll agreed, but, after drafting Worley, he used him in a split backfield and he never was a good fit, never mind that he also was suspended by the league for using drugs.

Pitt's Tom Ricketts would be their next pick in the first round, and they called him a natural left tackle.

He wasn't in his first camp for long before Noll decided he didn't have the feet for a left tackle and eventually moved him to guard.

Ricketts washed out, even though he played in the Steelers backyard in college.

That's pickin' and hopin' and cursin'.

Colbert's next instructions were these: "Need is not a good word. It's want. We want players. We don't necessarily need."

It's what Noll often called "best athlete available," although it should be highest-rated player available. The Steelers generally have followed that philosophy except in some obvious cases -- even Colbert said they won't draft a quarterback in the first round.

So, here are the Steelers strongest position needs that might be useless in determining who they draft tonight -- offensive tackle or guard, nose tackle, inside linebacker, cornerback. Doesn't mean they won't draft an outside linebacker or a wide receiver or even a safety.

So, in trying to determine who they actually might take with the No. 24 pick, barring trades to move up or back in the round, it really comes down to an educated guess.

The Steelers aren't giving away their draft board, and they don't know who most of the teams ahead of them will draft, thus who will be available at their turn.

An educated guess, then, might show a handful of players: Nose tackle Dontari Poe of Memphis, Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler and outside linebacker Nick Perry of Southern California.

Start with Poe. Mel Kiper ranks him No. 1 at defensive tackle. Others aren't so sure. While he set the combine afire, he did not do that often enough to suit many. The Steelers prefer performance on the field vs. workouts in shorts, and they rarely take first-round risks. There may be better fits for them in the later rounds such as Josh Chapman or Hebron Fangupo.

Hightower: James Farrior is gone, and they need to find a replacement while Larry Foote holds the fort. He's the perfect fit, defensive captain for Alabama and a leader like Farrior. But that would be two inside linebackers in the first round in six years.

Adams: Good tackles are hard to find, and he's a good one. The Steelers have done a load of research on him and have determined there are no character issues, despite his reported positive test for marijuana use. They haven't drafted an offensive tackle in the first round since '96.

Zeitler: Plug him in at guard for the next 10 years. Solid, solid player. Guards are not often picked in the first round, but the Steelers have done it twice since '98 with Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons.

Perry: He's a defensive end in a 4-3 and would convert to outside linebacker with the Steelers, so he would need a year or so, and he would have it playing behind James Harrison.

The pick: Hightower. If the Steelers don't grab him, the Patriots will be drooling at the thought of it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-best-bet-its-hightower-633047/

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 01:50 PM
[B]The pick: Hightower. If the Steelers don't grab him, the Patriots will be drooling at the thought of it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-best-bet-its-hightower-633047/

Reports of the Pats talking with Seattle

jjpro11
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Reports of the Pats talking with Seattle

is it really necessary for them to move up that high though? could they be targeting someone else, like Barron?

tony hipchest
04-26-2012, 02:25 PM
if pats move up with seattle they will be targetting a premiere edge pass rusher. i think theres that guy jones skyrocketting up the boards and he is looked at as the next pierre paul.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
If the Pats move up anywhere, I hope some team makes them pay for it

Ive been so FFFing tired of teams like the Raiders giving them pick after pick in crap trades

TRH
04-26-2012, 02:49 PM
is it really necessary for them to move up that high though? could they be targeting someone else, like Barron?

if they move up that high, it won't be Hightower...i think they'd be targeting someone else. On the other hand, there are numerous reports of Baltimore trying to trade up just ahead of us so they could snatch Hightower out from under us...

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 02:56 PM
if they move up that high, it won't be Hightower...i think they'd be targeting someone else. On the other hand, there are numerous reports of Baltimore trying to trade up just ahead of us so they could snatch Hightower out from under us...

http://gifsoup.com/view3/2094419/the-arnold-glare-o.gif

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Steelers and Dont’a Hightower can’t shake each other

Posted by Josh Alper on April 26, 2012

The draft process is usually something like a speed dating event where teams and players find themselves linked for short times before something happens to shake things up and everyone finds a new partner.

There are exceptions, but usually at the top of the draft where teams know exactly who will be around. With teams later in the order it is rare that they start the process linked to one player and never wind up shaking that player through the combine, visits and workouts.

That’s just what has happened with the Steelers and Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower, however. Ever since it became clear that the team would be parting ways with James Farrior, you heard them linked to Hightower as the choice with the 24th overall pick. Not much has changed. Other names have been listed as possibilities, but Hightower has been the constant and, usually, he’s at the top of the list.

Todd McShay of ESPN sees Hightower landing with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette calls him the best choice for the team and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network calls them a “match made in heaven.” That doesn’t mean that things will play out that way, obviously, but there are plenty of signs pointing to Hightower calling Pittsburgh his home before Thursday night is out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/steelers-and-donta-hightower-cant-shake-each-other/

Steelersfan87
04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I actually saw a mock draft with DeCastro falling to the Steelers...yeah, right. Luckily in a few hours none of these damn mocks will mean anything.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 04:56 PM
I actually saw a mock draft with DeCastro falling to the Steelers...yeah, right. Luckily in a few hours none of these damn mocks will mean anything.

I agree, DeCastro won't make it out of the top 16, the NY Jets desperately need a RT and Rex Ryan would love to plug DeCastro into that spot.

TRH
04-26-2012, 05:59 PM
now Todd McShay has Dont'a Hightower going at #19 to the Bears. He said they love him and he has us taking Glenn at 24. I'd like to see Hightower still be available...we'll see

Steelersfan87
04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Bouchette says he was told the Steelers are not as high on him as he previously thought. I wonder if they see him as a true guard, and if they mean for him to play tackle, does that mean they plan on moving Gilbert or Colon to guard?

pete74
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Your all going to be surprised when they take Perry or another OLB who drops

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Your all going to be surprised when they take Perry or another OLB who drops

That would upset me if it was the 2nd let alone in the 1st.......if we passed up Hightower, good guard or NT for another OLB.....I'll pull my hair out

TRH
04-26-2012, 06:26 PM
That would upset me if it was the 2nd let alone in the 1st.......if we passed up Hightower, good guard or NT for another OLB.....I'll pull my hair out

There's at least 2 possibilities now of Hightower not being there when we pick. McShay has him going at #19 to Chicago and there is a few rumours that Baltimore could try and trade up to swipe Hightower from us. Both Baltimore and Chicago love the guy from what has been reported.

pete74
04-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Obviously it all depends on who is there but I don't see any first round NT's I would take over an OLB like Perry.
its just a guessing game because the steelers are unpredictable and can surprise everyone and go WR or TE. we never know which direction they will go but i wouldnt be surprised if they went OLB if a top one fell

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
The Poe drama can end now

ETL
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
The Poe drama can end now

i'm not losing any sleep for not getting Poe

ETL
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
We should have a Gameday Thread for the draft.

ETL
04-26-2012, 08:36 PM
16th pick on the clock and RIley Reiff, Decastro and Cordy Glenn all still on the board.

I think the Jets will take Chandler Jones here

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 08:40 PM
No way Decastro gets past bengals/bears

an he might be the only other 1st Rounder other then Hightower, who would make me really happy

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 08:46 PM

an he might be the only other 1st Rounder other then Hightower, who would make me really happy

Maybe if he's there at 20, we can leapfrog them. They just chose Kirkspatrick.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Maybe if he's there at 20, we can leapfrog them. They just chose Kirkspatrick.

Dre Kirkpatrick to the Bengals makes sense, he's already been busted for smoking weed and has an arrest record.

ETL
04-26-2012, 08:48 PM

I live in Chicago and I am hearing that the bears need a DE or WR. But I agree with you, their OL was horrible last year. If they get Decastro - they will be lucky.

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Ingram to the Bolts.

steel-EERS
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
this is getting real interesting, steelers have been fortunate in several drafts over the last decade with players falling in there lap. hope history repeats itself!

ricardisimo
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
I agree, DeCastro won't make it out of the top 16, the NY Jets desperately need a RT and Rex Ryan would love to plug DeCastro into that spot.
Really?

ETL
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Pick 19: Cordy Glenn, DeCastro and Reiff still on the board.

I think the Bears take Mercilus DE or I hope they take him and leave one of the OL guys to us....

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 08:59 PM
McClellin to the Bears.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I live in Chicago and I am hearing that the bears need a DE or WR. But I agree with you, their OL was horrible last year. If they get Decastro - they will be lucky.

Bears just selected Shea McClellin, this means David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn and Dont'a Hightower are all still available for us. :tt02:

ETL
04-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Bears just selected Shea McClellin, this means David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn and Dont'a Hightower are all still available for us. :tt02:

NE just moved up! Probably to get Hightower?

OX1947
04-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Doubt it, they have Mayo. They need a pass rusher more then anything.

jjpro11
Chandler Jones

ETL
With all this OL talent still on the board - should we consider trading down - even a few spots?

steel-EERS
shefter said they want chandler jones(NE)

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Wow Cincy traded down. We just may get DeCastro

Steel_Bus_24

They're looking to nail Jon Jones DE brother Chandler....Per Schefter

steel-EERS
if David D is there, I take him IMO

ricardisimo
Hello, David DeCastro. :hatsoff:

ETL
I will pee in my pants if we get DeCastro.

OX1947
04-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Can someone give some info on DeCastro, I do not know much about him. Thanks.

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:06 PM
One more pick to go.

jjpro11
04-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Jon Jones' brothers now play for the Ravens and Patriots. that's the last time i root for him in a fight lol.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Browns Fans are like F-You Titans

ricardisimo
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I will pee in my pants if we get DeCastro.
I will do something different in mine. And then we will post pictures of our soiled pants so as to compare reactions.

steel-EERS
04-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Can someone give some info on DeCastro, I do not know much about him. Thanks.

read somewhere that he is considered by some the best OG to come out in about a decade, can play in either a zone or man blocking scheme, would be the LOG for the next decade, sorta like getting another Fanica

PhantomJB93
So no matter what, we can choose from one of these three: Reily Reiff, David DeCastro, Dont'a Hightower. Pretty darn good pool of talent there.

ETL
Wow!

If NE takes Jones we will have the chance to get either DeCastro, Glenn or Hightower.

rthorsn
Not seeing Decastro get by cle BUT if he does I think the Lions take him. Fingers crossed tho. Guys Rieff and Glen still there. Very shocking

ETL
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
quick poll:

DeCastro or Hightower?

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Lions are a threat for a Decastro too I think, with the good CBs off the board

OX1947
read somewhere that he is considered by some the best OG to come out in about a decade, can play in either a zone or man blocking scheme, would be the LOG for the next decade, sorta like getting another Fanica

DAMN. Well, looks like the Steelers will be either getting him for the next 10 yrs or Hightower at MLB for the next 10 years.

steel-EERS
decastro but not getting my hopes up

tony hipchest
if pats move up with seattle they will be targetting a premiere edge pass rusher. i think theres that guy jones skyrocketting up the boards and he is looked at as the next pierre paul.yes... i nailed it.

thank you very much. :cool:

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Weeden to the Browns. He may be the only player in the draft older than me.

OX1947
hahahahahahahah, Stains will suck forEVER, hahahahahahhahaha

ricardisimo
Who'd of thunk the title of this thread would be so fantastically off?

ETL
yes... i nailed it.

thank you very much. :cool:

you da man! good call!

steel-EERS
04-26-2012, 09:14 PM
DAMN. Well, looks like the Steelers will be either getting him for the next 10 yrs or Hightower at MLB for the next 10 years.

exactly, either way we win. would be nice seeing Ben not have to run for his life quite so often :)

rthorsn
1 MORE!!! Please not DeCastro!!!

OX1947
Did they have to pick such a gay ass song.

4n2t0
04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
What about Riley Reiff?

ricardisimo
1 MORE!!! Please not DeCastro!!!
There's no guarantee that they'll take him, but I'd love it. I've been boosting for trading up to get him. What kind of idiot am I?

steel-EERS
might as well pin a bullseye on his back, the brown nightmare...LOL

ETL
04-26-2012, 09:16 PM
i would want DeCastro but wouldn't mind Hightower either.

I would be upset if they took Glenn, Adams or some DE with those guys still on the board.

(I have to confess that I really wanted the Steelers to pick Rae Carruth one year and Kyle Boller another year so maybe they shouldn't listen to me...)

ETL
04-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Did they have to pick such a gay ass song.
Gay is ... GOOD!

rthorsn
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I know they prolly wont take him but we are in a great spot to get a O-linemen like Reiff, glenn, or Decastro or LB Hightower! We always have great options at the end of round 1. We are solid by letting the Seahawks take some felon lol

4n2t0
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Damn

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Lions take Reiff. I think it's going to be DeCastro for us. Fills a need and is probably BPA.

steel-EERS
decastro is outs, if we want him, never in a million years saw this coming, wow

Steel_Bus_24
Decastro or Hightower

Better be one of those 2 FO

ETL
OMG....OMG....OMG...OMG...

jjpro11
here we go!

Rick5895
I still hope Donta.

Raw Steel
The Steelers are either going to get a lineman or linebacker that will help them right away. This is good news.

OX1947
Wow, Steelers didnt wait long. Has to be Decastro.

rthorsn
04-26-2012, 09:21 PM
OH YEAH!!!!

GMU Steeler
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Dave.

ETL
MY PANTS ARE SOILED!!!!!

Steel_Bus_24
We just got one Nasty Mofo on our OL

ricardisimo
Woo-Hoo!!!!!! :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

It might be coincidence, but it's born out again: Colbert does not pick defense in back-to-back years. Not once has he done it.

steel-EERS
and history repeats itself, we got a future probowler!!

jjpro11
Alan Faneca 2.0

LastRide
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
The Steelers never wait to make a selection. Its like that every year..LOL

4n2t0
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Still good, nice.

OX1947
04-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Any chance the steelers trade up to get hightower?

OX1947

Nevermind.

Raw Steel
And Hightower doesn't go to the Ratbirds. I love it.

ETL

Nope

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
FFF, why did it have o be the Pats or Ravens for Hightower....

4n2t0
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
and history repeats itself, we got a future probowler!!

LMAO, that's a little too optimistic don't you think? I didn't know you could be a pro bowl guard without ever playing an NFL game.

steel-EERS
04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
LMAO, that's a little too optimistic don't you think? I didn't know you could be a pro bowl guard without ever playing an NFL game.

you do know what FUTURE means right??

4n2t0
04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
You do know what predicting that future means right? Starts with fool ends with ish.

steel-EERS
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
can't believe we already picked, not yet 10:30, figure 11 at the earliest

steel-EERS
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
You do know what predicting that future means right? Starts with fool ends with ish.

Just my opinion, so what's your point?

tony hipchest
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
forever will zeitler and decastro be compared.

LastRide
04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
wow, four picks in the seventh we have. Maybe one guy will be become usefull down the road..LOL