04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
HE IS COMING, AWESOME!

Our line just got a whole lot better!

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I could not possibly be happier! :tt02:

Raw Steel
The next Alan Faneca. He will be a fixture for a decade. The Steelers have to be thrilled he fell this far. I know I am.

kan_t
I'm so happy that I want to shout in the office!

Steelersfan87
04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh my ****ing god. Wow.

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

kan_t
04-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Now I understand dream can really come true.

casteeler
04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Perfect!!! Someone who can start and make a difference immediately :tt02:

finesward
Perfect example of when need and bpa are both there. Another slam dunk by steelers fo

JCPsteelers
Great pick Colbert. This guy is tough, smart and can pull. Awesome pick.

GMU Steeler
Great job by the FO with the pick and playing their cards right here.

DoctorCAD
Ben is "rubbing one out" as we speak!!!!!

What a shock of a pick. I actually cheered just like a Ben to Ward TD!

illmatic
Very happy with the pick! Have heard great things about DeCastro

illmatic
04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Also pretty happy that Hightower didn't end up with the Ravens :)

fujirama24
04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
It's beautiful man.

rthorsn
04-26-2012, 09:29 PM
I can't believe this? I watched live and still don't believe this! We are starting to get a REAL line!! Big Ben must be the happiest guy EVER!

cloppbeast
04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
All of the sudden, our offensive line looks like a strength rather than a liability.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Great job by the FO with the pick and playing their cards right here.

it's easy to play your cards right when you're dealt a Royal Flush! :tt02:

casteeler
04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Ben is "rubbing one out" as we speak!!!!!

What a shock of a pick. I actually cheered just like a Ben to Ward TD!

Lmao. Yes he is!!!!

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 09:32 PM
He is one Nasty Mofo....

I had my heart set on Hightower, but didn't realistically think we could get a Talent like DeCastro with a late 1st rounder

Now if could just land a gem NT....

Pentheon
04-26-2012, 09:33 PM
:) big improvement already, gj colbert

Bluedust
04-26-2012, 09:34 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m29zz4v0xP1qgz9qt.gif

GMU Steeler
it's easy to play your cards right when you're dealt a Royal Flush! :tt02:

Heh true. I am just amazed he fell. Anyhow Bengals just went with Zeitler.

SteelerinSevern
unbelievable. im so pleased with the fo right now.

FrancoLambert
:applaudit: :tt04: :tt02: :tt03::tt03:
Just what we needed, a bonafide stud guard.
Our weakest link is immediately improved, love the idea he's a mauler.
Lucked out big time with him dropping so far.
Off to a good start, let's hope for more.

GameTime55
04-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Very happy with the pick. Was planning before the draft it was going to be Glenn because Decastro would be gone already.

great job.

dyce23
04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Absolutely ecstatic with this pick! I am so glad we've fixed our O-Line. Maybe we can even get one more guard in the second. If not, I'm perfectly fine with what we already have. I feel SO much better about one of our "weaknesses" now.

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
I think we go ILB or DT in Rd 2. Great start to the draft.

QCbeauBlak
04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
I am speechless.. stunned. What a GREAT PICK!!!!

Colbert, Tomlin, you are proving to me that you recognize need and not too prideful to make big changes. New OC, a solid 1st round lineman. I am so happy to be a Steelers fan right now. :tt04::tt04::tt04:

StainlessStill
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
I think I just ejaculated all over myself. I had David DeCastro in the first 10-15 picks and he fell to number 24 to the Steelers. WOW. Can't be more happy than that if you're a Steelers fan. Sick and tired of seeing Ben get destroyed. DeCastro WILL BE our starting right guard at week one. We got Pouncey at center, Gilbert at LT and now DeCastro at RG. Rebuilding the O-line is a must. Great pick for the Steelers all around.

finesward
04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Another sign they don't intend on breaking the.bank for Wallace. Said it before...one guy away from making the line a strength and you no longer need a guy like wallace stretching the.field. running game will be better and whoever is playing wr will benefit.

JCPsteelers
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
I think I just ejaculated all over myself. I had David DeCastro in the first 10-15 picks and he fell to number 24 to the Steelers. WOW. Can't be more happy than that if you're a Steelers fan. Sick and tired of seeing Ben get destroyed. DeCastro WILL BE our starting right guard at week one. We got Pouncey at center, Gilbert at LT and now DeCastro at RG. Rebuilding the O-line is a must. Great pick for the Steelers all around.

DeCastro could be our LG.

Gilbert, DeCastro, Pouncey, Foster, Colon

tony hipchest
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
ive got the official nickname-

Decastrator

POWER G baby!

you heard it here first.

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:44 PM

That blind side oh man.

StainlessStill
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Whichever. Even better. Either way, our offensive line just kicked it up a notch.:tt04:

rthorsn
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Tomlin and Colbert said he will stay on the Right Side. So we have a LT, Center, RG, and I guess RT

Steelersfan87
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I'd rather he play left so he can pull right, but whatever. I actually thought Foster looked better at LG.

TheVet
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
The news is so incredibly good, I joined these forums just to shout! Oh God, Arians is gone, and we have an OG #1! I'm in heaven.

End the jailbreaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vindrow
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
This draft could not have gone any better for teh Steelers.

That O-Line just got 1000 times better.

Ben's reaction to getting DeCastro:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7872/benroethlisberger21.jpg

:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

Hawaii 5-0
Steelers stop David DeCastro’s slippage at 24th pick

Posted by Evan Silva on April 26, 2012

Stanford guard David DeCastro is another player who was available significantly later than most of the draft prognosticators anticipated. Once regarded as a virtual lock for the top-13 selections, DeCastro slipped to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ pick at No. 24.

DeCastro fits Pittsburgh’s mentality on the offensive line. He is a beastly run blocker at 6-foot-5, 316, and was one of college football’s most decorated linemen. Blocking for No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck, DeCastro garnered first-team All-American honors in 2011. He started 39 career games at Stanford, never missing a game and earning All-Pac 12 accolades each year.

DeCastro will start at right guard in Week One for the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/steelers-stop-david-decastros-slippage-at-24th-pick/

Steel_Bus_24
http://images59.fotki.com/v683/photos/0/1685060/8895181/fisher1-vi.gif

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Steelers stop David DeCastro’s slippage at 24th pick

Posted by Evan Silva on April 26, 2012

Stanford guard David DeCastro is another player who was available significantly later than most of the draft prognosticators anticipated. Once regarded as a virtual lock for the top-13 selections, DeCastro slipped to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ pick at No. 24.

DeCastro fits Pittsburgh’s mentality on the offensive line. He is a beastly run blocker at 6-foot-5, 316, and was one of college football’s most decorated linemen. Blocking for No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck, DeCastro garnered first-team All-American honors in 2011. He started 39 career games at Stanford, never missing a game and earning All-Pac 12 accolades each year.

DeCastro will start at right guard in Week One for the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/steelers-stop-david-decastros-slippage-at-24th-pick/

Gotta love that durability too. Can't believe he fell this far.

Acerinox
04-26-2012, 09:49 PM
After watching 1,000 drafts where there's a run on O-Line... What just happened there?

I had DeCastro dead-cert top 10 in talent terms even without the usual OL premium.

It's been such a weird draft and WE BENEFIT!

Raw Steel
04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Read the big board for Rob Rang. He had DeCastro the #6 player overall. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18824798/my-final-big-board-the-top-100-players-of-the-2012-nfl-draft

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Steelers opt for Stanford guard in 1st round of NFL Draft

By Scott Brown
Tribune-Review

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

DAVID DECASTRO

College: Stanford

Year: Junior

Position: OG

Height: 6-5

Weight: 316

Notables: The Steelers were in great need of a guard with undrafted free agents Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky penciled in at the position. … Is an excellent run-blocker. … Was the top-rated guard in the draft. … Was projected to go in the top 10 in the draft. … Is the second offensive lineman to be selected in the first round by the Steelers in three years. … Strength is pulling. … The first time they selected a guard in the first round since Kendall Simmons in 2002. … Started all 39 games he played in at right guard. … Finished he career with 316 knockdowns, 68 touchdown-resulting blocks and a blocking consistency grade of 91 percent. … Was a first-team All-American by NFL Draft Report

The Steelers didn’t just address their offensive line Thursday night when they took Stanford’s David DeCastro with the 24th pick in the first round of the NFL Draft.

They added the player considered the best guard in the draft as well as one of its safest players.

The Steelers patiently waited as DeCastro, who had been widely projected as a top-15 pick, fell to them. They passed on a number of players who could have helped them at other positions of need, including Alabama inside linebacker Dont’a Hightower.

DeCastro bolsters the interior of the Steelers’ offensive line, and he should challenge for a starting job in his first season. Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster are the incumbents at left and right guard, respectively, but each made the Steelers as undrafted free agents.

The Steelers have taken an offensive lineman with two of their past three first-round picks, as they selected Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey 18th overall in 2010. They used their second-round pick last year on Marcus Gilbert, who started 14 games at right tackle.

The Steelers are slated to make two more picks tonight when the NFL Draft resumes. They have one pick in the second round (No. 56 overall) and another in the third (No. 86).

Providing better protection for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who celebrated his 30th birthday in March, has become a priority for the Steelers. Roethlisberger has been sacked no fewer than 40 times every season that he has played 15 games.

Roethlisberger sustained a badly sprained ankle against the Browns in December. The injury caused him to miss a game and limited his mobility the rest of the season.

DeCastro is the first guard the Steelers have taken in the first round since Kendall Simmons in 2002, and the 6-foot-5, 316-pounder has drawn comparisons to former perennial All-Pro Alan Faneca.

The Steelers have taken nine offensive linemen since 2007. That is the position they have addressed the most since Mike Tomlin’s first season as head coach.

DeCastro started all 39 games he played at right guard, and he was one of the top protectors of Cardinal quarterback Andrew Luck, the No. 1 overall pick.

Read more: Steelers opt for Stanford guard in 1st round of NFL Draft | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1109687-85/steelers-decastro-guard-round-draft-offensive-pick-season-nfl-overall#ixzz1tCLW9RFi

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Oh Yeah Man we got such tremendous value

I never even really allowed myself to believe we had any shot.....an whenever I did it was always with a "what would we have to give up"

Bluedust
04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/o1a3u.gif

tony hipchest
04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Scott Brown‏@ScottBrown_TribReply

DeCastro, a Washington native, grew up rooting for the Seahawks and rooted for them in Super Bowl XL.

TRH
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
GREAT pick!! We need to keep Ben on his feet.

Although it was painful to see us have to pass on Hightower, who was a born Steeler, (then see NE promptly jump all over him..), but i'm happy with the pick. I don't think the Steelers had any clue he would still be available. Did you see how fast they made the pick? Goodell was walking up to the podium within 2 minutes.

Bluedust

DeCastro, a Washington native, grew up rooting for the Seahawks and rooted for them in Super Bowl XL.

Uhhh, and if I grew up in Washington I'd root for the Seahawks too.

I feel since this is a mod it's a meta-troll but you never know anymore.

Hawaii 5-0

I forgive him...:tt02:

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
GREAT pick!! We need to keep Ben on his feet.

Although it was painful to see us have to pass on Hightower, who was a born Steeler, (then see NE promptly jump all over him..), but i'm happy with the pick. I don't think the Steelers had any clue he would still be available. Did you see how fast they made the pick? Goodell was walking up to the podium within 2 minutes.

Yeah I did. It makes sense. We draft BPA and I imagine DeCastro was high on the big board and they were I am sure as shocked as I am that he dropped as far as he did. I would have liked Hightower too but I think can find a ILB that fits the system just as good later.

PhantomJB93
04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon

All of a sudden, the entire OLine actually looks decent on paper.

tanda10506
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Same here, I didn't even consider it possible. I can't believe we had our choice of Glenn, Hightower, or DeCastro. He was the obvious choice. Anybody think Glenn might be around when we draft round 2? I am absolutely thrilled, I thought the best thing we could do was draft a starting Guard and not only did they draft a starting Guard, but they got the best one available. Im sure DeCastro is excited too, with his talent I'm surprised he didn't end up on the Browns, Buccs, Rams, etc. Players are happy and act happy no matter who drafts them, but going to the Steelers instead of the Dolphins, Rams, etc., that's got to make his day a lot better. We need to keep Starks and draft some depth in the later rounds, if we are able to do that we will have a pretty good offensive line. Not good compared to what we are used to, I mean actually good.

tanda10506
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Uhhh, and if I grew up in Washington I'd root for the Seahawks too.

I feel since this is a mod it's a meta-troll but you never know anymore.

Dude....it was sarcasm, joking

CABurghfan
I have to laugh, I don't think I recall a pick in the last few years where every single person agreed it was a great pick. This is great to see!!!

Very nice pick!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
DeCastro cant play Center, he cant play OT......that is possibly why he slid, because interior linemen are not as valued as other positions.

He can start on day 1, not much upside but not much risk either. Fortunate day!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon

All of a sudden, the entire OLine actually looks decent on paper.

Blasphemy!!! Read the posters here that have us needing to take at least 3 O linemen in the draft and have them all start.

MaidenIndiana
I'm excited by the pick, but I'm also wondering how and why the hell a guy who was projected to be a top 10 pick fell all the way down to 24th?:noidea:

tanda10506
DeCastro cant play Center, he cant play OT......that is possibly why he slid, because interior linemen are not as valued as other positions.

He can start on day 1, not much upside but not much risk either. Fortunate day!!

Not much upside, damn, what's your definition of upside?

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
No idea who will be there at 56 but I think it will be a defensive player likely, perhaps a ILB or NT.

PhantomJB93
04-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm excited by the pick, but I'm also wondering how and why the hell a guy who was projected to be a top 10 pick fell all the way down to 24th?:noidea:

I remember when this happened with Bryan Bulaga and the Packers 2 years ago, to pick 24 to be exact, he turned out pretty well for them...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Not much upside, damn, what's your definition of upside?

The guy is already a polished product. There is a chance the Bobbie Massie or Jonathan Martin will turn into pro bowl LT in the NFL, but they could bust too.

DeCastro is gonna plug into the starting lineup and at worst be a top 30 interior lineman in the NFL. But, he's gonna be an OG, which isnt the most valued position in football.

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
I remember when this happened with Bryan Bulaga and the Packers 2 years ago, to pick 24 to be exact, he turned out pretty well for them...

Didn't Clay Matthews fall too?

wootawnee
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
This guy played at Stanford in my back yard......He is soooooo athletic.....Him n Pouncy will be tough to beat side by side for sure.!!!.....

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Steelers pick top guard in NFL Draft in first round

April 26, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/04-26-31_david-decastro_420.jpg

The Steelers took a big step toward addressing their problems on the offensive line when they selected Stanford guard David DeCastro with the No. 1 pick in tonight's NFL draft.

DeCastro (6-5, 315) is considered the best guard in the draft and was projected as a top-15 pick. But he slipped all the way to the Steelers with the 24th overall pick and they wasted little time, if any, selecting him.

"We didn't think David would be here, we valued him that high," said general manager Kevin Colbert. "We said earlier [this week] there are a few special players in this [draft] group. He was one of them."

The Steelers had DeCastro rated so highly that Colbert said they considered trading up to draft him.

It is the second time in the past three years Coach Mike Tomlin has drafted an offensive player with the No. 1 pick. He is the first guard to be selected on the first round by the Steelers since Kendall Simmons in 2002.

"He's a great player with excellent intangibles -- character, tough, leader, smart," Colbert said. "Everything you could ask for in a football player. We're truly, truly excited he was available to us at [number] 24."

"He has awesome intangibles," Coach Mike Tomlin said. "He was the unquestioned leader of a veteran group in college."

The Steelers had several needs on defense after they released inside linebacker James Farrior and defensive end Aaron Smith, two of their long-time stalwarts and leaders. Also, five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton is coming off major knee surgery and is likely in his final season with the Steelers.

The Steelers did not have a chance to bolster their nose tackle position with the player they liked -- Dontari Poe of Memphis, who was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs with the 11th overall pick. Poe was one of the players whom the Steelers interviewed at the NFL scouting combine and also at their South Side facility.

But quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who turns 30 this season, has been sacked an average of 43 times a season since 2007 and plagued with a number of nagging injuries because of the number of hits he has absorbed.

The Steelers are set at both tackle positions with Willie Colon returning to the right side and Marcus Gilbert moving to left tackle. But, after releasing former starter Chris Kemoeatu in the offseason, their starting guards are Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster -- a pair of undrafted players who have never gone to training camp as the incumbent starters.

DeCastro was the right guard on a Stanford offensive line that protected quarterback Andrew Luck, the No. 1 pick in the draft. But Colbert said DeCastro usually led 80 percent of their running plays.

"I'm just thankful I'm on a great team with a great franchise," DeCastro said shortly after being drafted. "I grew up a Seahawks fan. I wasn't the biggest Steelers fan growing up. Now I'm the biggest Steelers fan there is."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-pick-top-guard-in-nfl-draft-in-first-round-633282/

surcalifero
04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
I thought the Lions would get DeCastro. I was praying on my knees after the Bears pick at 19 that DeCastro will still be there at #24. When the Lions were up I thought the Steelers would settle with Riley Reiff.

wootawnee
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Read the big board for Rob Rang. He had DeCastro the #6 player overall. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18824798/my-final-big-board-the-top-100-players-of-the-2012-nfl-draft

I just read that too....

ricardisimo
04-26-2012, 10:34 PM
He's a great pick. He will extend Ben's career. He will improve the run game. He will be able to start right away. All areas of concern in Art Rooney's eyes. Great pick... theoretically of course.

But there's one aspect to this pick which is very advantageous in real, rock-solid terms: Money. Picking a guard in the 1st saves the cap-strapped Steelers a bundle of money. Other than kickers and punters, guard is the least costly position.

There's no way to say right now if DeCastro is a future Hall of Famer, a bust or something in between. But as of right now this looks like the absolute best possible pick the Steelers could have made.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
THURSDAY, APRIL 26, 2012

Christmas comes for Steelers :tt02:

Christmas came early for the Steelers Thursday as the top-rated guard in this year's draft, David DeCastro, dropped right into their laps with the 24th pick.

All night long, I was advocating the Steelers trading up for the former Stanford star if he fell past Cincinnati with the 17th selection.

The Steelers explored that option, but were patient. That's why Kevin Colbert gets paid the big bucks.

Many, including the Steelers didn't see DeCastro dropping that far. In fact, when Colbert said there were seven to 10 players in this draft that were easy evaluations and future stars, DeCastro was one of the players he was talking about.

But a run on pass rushers - Bruce Irvin in the first round? - and the Browns being the Browns - a 28-year-old QB in the first round - allowed DeCastro to fall.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Kingmagyar
The New England Patriots allowed David Decastro to Fall.

The Patriots traded with the Bengals, because as we saw the bungals take Kevin Zeitler a bit later they would have taken Decastro if they didn't trade down and Detroit would have taken Riley Reif.

The perfect storm happened tonight. The perfect storm.

Fortunately it was the year where pass rushers were being scooped up like crazy.

After Arizona passed I literally kept thinking of Decastro slipping as I saw one mock project him late teens early 20's. I thought for sure we would trade up with Tenn. I was mad we didn't thinking Cincy or Detroit would grab him for sure. The Steelers got lucky tonight.

JCPsteelers
Best part

DeCastro intelligence >>>>>> Kemo's intelligence

GMU Steeler
04-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Best part

Hadn't even considered that but yes. Kemo was probably the most frustrating player on the team in recent years to watch because he would make dumb plays at the worst possible times.

ETL
04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
For what its worth:

Charlie Casserley on NFL network just said - "best value player" - David DeCastro taken by Pittsburgh.... rated in top 15 ... will be better than Faneca...

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2012, 10:51 PM
:crying01: me so happy.... looking at who's left , i'd be thrilled if they scored another olineman in the 2nd, another guard or a tackle that can play guard for a year or two or push colon to guard... i've seen enough of foster and legursky.

Amini Silatolu

Brandon Brooks

Jonathan Martin

Bobby Massie

Kelechi Osemele

tony hipchest
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
food for thought-

decastro was the highest rated guard in this years draft. look at some of the other highest rated at their respective positions we have drafted.

Polamalu- safety
miller- tight end
holmes- wide receiver
pouncey- center

all pro bowlers or SB MVP's.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Best part

that's not really all that hard...

ZiggyHeyward
04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
My friends I watched the draft with are 49ers fans that were crushed when we picked Decastro. It felt even better when they drafted Jankins. On top of that The Ravens didn't get Hightower today couldn't have gone better.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
NFL Draft: Steelers excited with pick
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/nfl-draft-steelers-excited-with-pick/article_edcd3f46-58bc-5a28-971f-5f40748d84cd.html
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:32 pm

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | 0 comments

PITTSBURGH -- Never in their wildest dreams did the Steelers think David DeCastro would still be on the board when it was their turn to pick.

With the 24th pick of the first round, the Steelers quickly and excitedly plucked the All-American guard from Stanford.

"We said the other day that there were a few special players who would be easy to evaluate. David was one of them," said general manager Kevin Colbert. "We valued him very high.

"But we really didn't think David would be there at 24. So we're truly, truly excited that he was."

None of the draft experts figured that DeCastro, a three-year Stanford starter at right guard, would slip to No. 24. Some mock drafts had him going as early as No. 11.

The Steelers had a short list of players they expected to be available for them, including Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, who was taken by the Patriots at No. 25.

When asked if the Steelers considered trading up to get DeCastro, Colbert said, "I'll leave that to the imagination. Before the draft, we identified several players that we'd trade up to get. And David was one of them.

"When we picked, there was a nice group (to pick from). We'd have been happy with three or four guys who were available. Really, a better group presented itself than we thought."

Colbert didn't have an explanation for why the top-rated guard in the draft lasted so long. All he knows is that the Steelers picked a lineman with few flaws. He's an excellent run blocker. He's excellent in pass protection. Last season for the Cardinal, DeCastro, who's 6-foot-5 and 316 pounds, graded out 96.88 percent on his assignments.

"This is really surreal," DeCastro said. "I had no expectations going in. I didn't know where I was going. You never know what's going to happen. I'm just thankful I'm going to a great team and a great franchise."

For the third straight year, the Steelers used a high-round draft choice on an offensive lineman. Two years ago, they took Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th pick. Last year, they took Florida tackle Marcus Gilbert in the second round.

DeCastro should have no problem moving into the starting lineup as a rookie.

"It was a no-brainer," coach Mike Tomlin said. "There was no guess work. Everything we would ask of him, he's already done at Stanford."

mesaSteeler
04-26-2012, 11:09 PM
No more excuses. RUN THE DAMN BALL.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds?year=2012&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2frounds%3fyear%3d2012

David DeCastro

Todd McShay breaks down the Steelers' selection of David DeCastro with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

What he brings: If you draft a guard this early, you expect him to make an immediate impact, and DeCastro's more than capable of doing it. He's a smart football player who can drive defenders off the ball as a run blocker, and rarely loses one-on-one.

How he fits: Offensive line was the biggest need for this team and DeCastro plays like he was born to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. He can lineup next to their only stable lineman Maurkice Pouncey and that should really improve their interior run game and also pass protect for Big Ben inside. There's still work to be done on the edge of this offensive line, but this is a major upgrade.

tony hipchest
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
i love this quote-

Todd McShay‏@McShay13

perfect pick for the Steelers. Wakes up angry. Goes to bed angry. Tough, powerful, experienced and durable. Upgrades pass pro and run gm

dez09231
04-26-2012, 11:16 PM
This was pretty much the best possible thing that could happen tonight. I can live with Larry playing inside considering what we received instead of Hightower.

I said going in that we needed to hit homers in 2 of our first 3 rounds to realistically have another shot during Ben's window. This is a grand slam.

wootawnee
04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
No more excuses. RUN THE DAMN BALL.

lol

mesaSteeler
04-26-2012, 11:23 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/26/pick-by-pick-analysis-round-one-3

Profootball Weekly Analysis

24 (24) Pittsburgh Steelers: OG David DeCastro, Stanford
The board has a way of falling into the hands of the Steelers every year. While DeCastro may have appeared to have slid in the draft, many teams had stacked him as a second-round talent and were not enamored with his physical talent or see enough explosive body power to justify spending a top-20 pick on a guard. Nonetheless, DeCastro is extremely tough, hardworking and plays the game with a nasty temperament. Similar to Alan Faneca, he will plug into the starting lineup readily and bring a steady, workmanlike presence to a shoddy offensive line.

Hawaii 5-0
04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelers2_logo.gif

Pittsburgh Steelers (Last Year: 12-4)

2012 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

24. David DeCastro, G, Stanford: A+ Grade

Unbelievable. The Steelers somehow land a guy who could be the top guard in the NFL over the next decade. David DeCastro could have gone as high as No. 11. It's really amazing how smart organizations like Pittsburgh can take advantage of dumb teams making stupid decisions year after year. This is the best pick of the 2012 NFL Draft thus far.

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2012pit.php

ETL
04-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Best part

agree with another poster - that's not fair.

lump of coal intelligence >>>>>>>>Kemo's intelligence

mesaSteeler
04-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Draft's top guard falls into Steelers' lap
April 27, 2012 12:00 am
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/drafts-top-guard-falls-into-steelers-lap-633297/

The Steelers took one of the most overused cliches in the draft business and turned it into gold with Stanford guard David DeCastro.

"Really," general manager Kevin Colbert said, "we didn't think David wold be there at 24 quite honestly. We valued him that high."

Ranked by many as the top guard in the draft and predicted to go in the top 15, DeCastro slipped all the way to No. 24, where the Steelers wasted little of their allotted 10 minutes in snapping him up.

Not only did they fill one of their biggest needs, guard, but they got one Colbert said was among a handful of "special" players they thought were available in this draft. As the process wore on and he remained available, they considered making a trade to move higher than No. 24 to get him.

"We identified several players we would trade up to get and he was one of them. With every pick, the odds increased. Where we picked, it was a nice group; we would have been happy with 3 or 4 players where we picked."

Among those was Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, whom the New England Patriots valued so much they did trade up to get him, with the Broncos to move from No. 32 to No. 25.

But in DeCastro, Colbert said they got "everything you could ask for in a football player."

DeCastro (6-5, 316) started the past three seasons at right guard in the pro style offense run by the draft's No. 1 pick, quarterback Andrew Luck. He had one year left of eligibility after taking a redshirt year as a freshman but opted for the draft instead. Colbert said the Cardinal ran 80 percent of their running plays with DeCastro leading the way.

"This kid is an exceptional player,'' Colbert said.

Coach Mike Tomlin called evaluating DeCastro for the draft "fun.''

"Everything we would ask him to do you saw him do at Stanford, whether it was pulling or pass protection . . . He's a tough guy, he has a lot of attributes we think will help our football team."

DeCastro is the second linemen the Steelers have drafted in the first round in three years, with center Maurkice Pouncey chosen in 2010. Tackle Marcus Gilbert came on the second round last season. Both Pouncey and Gilbert started as rookies, leading to the obvious question of whether DeCastro can follow in their shoes next season.

" If they're ready and capable and earn it, they play," Tomlin said. "That's always been our approach. It's the overall readiness of the individual player."

The Steelers are thin at guard. Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster ended the season as their two starters and Trai Essex was re-signed as their lone veteran backup. While DeCastro played exclusively on the right at Stanford, Tomlin said it wouldn't limit him with the Steelers.

"That's what he's played there but we're going to work to put our best players on the field."

DeCastro is the first guard chosen on the first round by the Steelers since Kendall Simmons in 2002. The Steelers also drafted Alan Faneca in the first round in 1998. Many teams consider the first round too high to draft a guard, so few usually go in that round.

"I can't speak for anyone else other than to say I'm glad they didn't take him,'' Colbert said.

The general manager and line coach Sean Kugler attended DeCastro's pro day at Stanford and came away worried.

"It solidified what we thought,'' Colberet said. "It scared us a bit because he worked out so well we didn't think we'd get a shot at him."

DeCastro did not express any disappointment at not being drafted higher as many expected him to be. He called his reaction as "surreal . . . stunned" to go to the Steelers.

"I had no expectations going in. I didn't know where I was going."

A native of Bellevue, Washington, he said he grew up a Seattle Seahawks fan and rooted for them against the Steelers in Super Bowl XL.

"Now I'm the biggest Steelers fan there is,'' DeCastro said.

Most scouting services had DeCastro as the best guard in the bunch, including Mel Kiper, NFLDraftScout.com and Pro Football Weekly, which rated him the second-best lineman overall after tackle Matt Kalil, drafted fourth overall Thursday.

The Steelers might have considered drafting tackle Riley Reiff but the Detroit Lions drafted him at No. 23.

"There were several players still available, again surprisingly, for us but David was the guy,'' Colbert insisted. "He's great at the line of scrimmage, he can pull, he can trap, he's a solid pass protector. Really, the kid is good."

The Steelers had trouble at the guard position last year. Chris Kemoeatu was benched in the middle of his fourth season as their starting left guard. Legursky, who opened the season as their starting right guard, moved to the left and Foster, who Legursky had originally beaten out, became the starting right guard. They even started tackles Chris Scott and Tony Hills at guard in the preseason as they searched for answers.

Thursday night, they finally found one.

mesaSteeler
04-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Team invests in protection plan for Big Ben
April 27, 2012 12:00 am
Paul Sakuma/Associated Press
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/team-invests-in-protection-plan-for-big-ben-633301/
OK, we get it. The Steelers are serious about keeping franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger healthy for a long time. It makes sense, right? He's 30 now. You invest $102 million in a guy, you want him to be able to play every down, every game. The Steelers saw what happened to their team last season after Roethlisberger's ankle injury in early December and they didn't like it one bit. As a result, they haven't just asked Roethlisberger to "tweak" his game by taking fewer hits and sacks next season. For the third consecutive year, they have used a high draft choice on an offensive lineman.

Now, that is serious.

At 10:20 p.m. Thursday night, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced that the Steelers selected Stanford guard David DeCastro with the 24th pick of the 2012 NFL draft. By 10:30, Roethlisberger undoubtedly contacted DeCastro via telephone call or text to welcome him to the team. Roethlisberger would have done that if the Steelers had taken Alabama inside linebacker Dont'a Hightower, who went to the New England Patriots with the next selection. He does it with all of the draft picks. But he must have loved reaching out to DeCastro. It sounds as if he's going to be one of Roethlisberger's closest friends for many years to come.

"A great player," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert called DeCastro.

I know what you're thinking:

We've heard that before, right?

What else is Colbert going to say after he drafts the guy?

It's true, Colbert has said the same thing about every No. 1 pick he has made with the Steelers, from Michigan State wide receiver Plaxico Burress in 2000 to Ohio State defensive end Cameron Heyward last spring. This time, though, Colbert continued to gush and gush.

"David was one of the guys we had targeted to move up to get. ... Excellent intangibles. Character. Tough. Leader. Smart. Everything you can ask for in a football player, this kid encompasses it."

Colbert said earlier in the week he doubted that anyone the Steelers selected No. 1 would come in and make an immediate impact. But that was before he knew the team was going to get DeCastro. Center Maurkice Pouncey, whom the Steelers picked in the first round in 2010, was something of a football freak, starting every game as a rookie and making the Pro Bowl. Offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert, whom the team took with its second-round pick last spring, became the regular starter at right tackle in the second game after Willie Colon was injured. Now, it seems as if DeCastro could be the third consecutive rookie lineman to start in his first season. Veteran right guard and incumbent starter Ramon Foster is going to have to play great to hold him off.

"You watch [Stanford] run the football, 80 percent of the time David DeCastro was leading the way," Colbert said. "He can pull. He can trap. He's a solid pass protector. The kid is good."

And you probably thought Andrew Luck was the only great player at Stanford last season.

"This kid is all business and no-nonsense," Colbert said, finally starting to slow down. "That was very attractive to us."

The selection of DeCastro made for a great start to the '12 draft. The Steelers have nine more picks tonight and Saturday. Their work has only just begun.

The team still has a need -- or rather "a want," to use Colbert terminology -- at inside linebacker after the release of veteran James Farrior. In any other draft, Hightower would have been the perfect solution to that problem. He should have a great career with the Patriots.

The Steelers also want to add to their defensive line. Defensive end Aaron Smith has retired. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will be 35 in September, is coming off knee surgery and might have just one year left. Defensive end Brett Keisel was very productive last season but he will be 34 next season. The Steelers had no chance of adding Memphis nose tackle Dontari Poe, who went to the Kansas City Chiefs with the No. 11 selection.

Running back has to be a third position of want for the Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall is coming off major knee surgery, might not contribute much next season and will be in the final year of his contract. Isaac Redman had huge day in the playoff loss to the Denver Broncos -- 17 carries for 121 yards -- but has to show he can do it week in and week out. Jonathan Dwyer and John Clay are the top backups as of the moment.

The Steelers will begin filling those holes when the draft resumes with the second round tonight. It's certain Colbert will be excited again when the draft ends Saturday afternoon. If he gushes half as much as he did about DeCastro, you'll know the Steelers did really well.

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.
First Published 2012-04-27 04:07:59