PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Anyone?

SteelersinCA
04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Doubt this will be a very popular thread, but I figured I'd try to find out if anyone watches soccer around here?

NSMaster56
04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm a 'casual' fan.

I just watch the WC and the Sounders (yes, MLS is AAA soccer, but I don't want to be a 'hipster' and jump on the EPL bandwagon).

Geordie
09-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Me. Season ticket holder at Newcastle United, but it's football not soccer ;)

Pappy
09-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Who the hell gives a shit about soccer on this board? Boringest sport they ever invented. This is a board about AMERICAN football. Soccer is for sissies!

Geordie
09-09-2014, 01:22 PM
To coin an old phrase, you are entitled to your opinion, even when you are wrong.:wink02:

Lokki
09-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Who the hell gives a shit about soccer on this board? Boringest sport they ever invented. This is a board about AMERICAN football. Soccer is for sissies!

I didn't know Tony Hipchest played soccer!

Pappy
09-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I didn't know Tony Hipchest played soccer!

Doesn't change my opinion any. Football is twice as tough to play.

harrison'samonster
09-09-2014, 07:10 PM
i've never watched it, but i use to love playing it. it's a healthy sport to get into, lot's of running. better reasons to "accidentally" kick opponents in the face than A. Brown could ever come up with on a punt return.

I would have kept playing but when I was going into 7th grade we moved to a school that didn't have a team.

The_Joker
09-09-2014, 08:03 PM

Yinz ain't suppossed ta play no feetballs in the grinnie, yinz jagoffs.

NSMaster56
09-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Doesn't change my opinion any. Football is twice as tough to play.

Well... it's twice as tough to get up after getting hit in Football, but it's twice as tough not to feign injury in Soccer. :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, the difficulty of Soccer (or futbol) is not only the endurance (most players who play full games at full speed will end up running 5+ miles/game), but the coordination of skills.

That is, it requires skill to only use one's foot to control a light-weight ball's movement, but the tougher aspect is getting 11 guys to move as a unit, one that out maneuvers their opponent, no less, and then produce a score.

I still say that Hockey is more difficult in this regard (not only ice skating at high speeds and controlling the puck with a elongated stick, but avoiding opposing players---i.e. hits), but Soccer is a difficult sport to play.

Only someone who doesn't understand the game says otherwise.

harrison'samonster
09-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Well... it's twice as tough to get up after getting hit in Football, but it's twice as tough not to feign injury in Soccer. :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, the difficulty of Soccer (or futbol) is not only the endurance (most players who play full games at full speed will end up running 5+ miles/game), but the coordination of skills.

That is, it requires skill to only use one's foot to control a light-weight ball's movement, but the tougher aspect is getting 11 guys to move as a unit, one that out maneuvers their opponent, no less, and then produce a score.

I still say that Hockey is more difficult in this regard (not only ice skating at high speeds and controlling the puck with a elongated stick, but avoiding opposing players---i.e. hits), but Soccer is a difficult sport to play.

i'll never figure out how people can remain standing, let alone move a puck around on the ice.

i prefer to have my feet on solid ground :chuckle:

Geordie
09-10-2014, 03:10 AM

It's not that difficuilt. Think of all the things you do as kids, do it day in day out till you do it without thinking. Also you are conditioned to what you are brought up to, the stop/start nature of American Football is contrary to the more flowing sports the rest of the world grows up with (no wonder basketball with it's more flowing nature is a bigger hit in Europe).

How does Rugby go down over there ? Rugby sevens always seems like the perfect sport for a US audience, fast, hard hitting, high scoring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRJGcLvfmss

NSMaster56
09-10-2014, 12:27 PM
It's not that difficuilt. Think of all the things you do as kids, do it day in day out till you do it without thinking.

While you aren't really implying it, it's still bothersome how some do say that soccer is so easy because it's the easiest sport for kids to play.

The fact of the matter is that it's easy for kids to play because of the simplicity of the game, but that doesn't mean that they play it right.

Watching kids play soccer is horrible (at least in the states). They have little to no concept of how the game works.

---

Soccer is probably the easiest game to understand and/or play intramurally, but at a legitimate competitive level it's a bitch. The cardio demand alone is brutal.

It's honestly perplexing why more Americans aren't into it. While it's not as physical as football, hockey is and that's not an extremely popular sport, either. My best guess is the whole European connection, along with low scoring, has something to do with it.

Geordie
09-10-2014, 02:37 PM
While you aren't really implying it, it's still bothersome how some do say that soccer is so easy because it's the easiest sport for kids to play.

The fact of the matter is that it's easy for kids to play because of the simplicity of the game, but that doesn't mean that they play it right.

Watching kids play soccer is horrible (at least in the states). They have little to no concept of how the game works.

---

Soccer is probably the easiest game to understand and/or play intramurally, but at a legitimate competitive level it's a bitch. The cardio demand alone is brutal.

It's honestly perplexing why more Americans aren't into it. While it's not as physical as football, hockey is and that's not an extremely popular sport, either. My best guess is the whole European connection, along with low scoring, has something to do with it.
That could actually tie in with what's happening over here, Growing up there were few organised games, we'd play in the street or any any piece of grass, 1 goalkeeper and play 1 v 1 or 2 V 2, everything coming down to technique, learning how to attack and defend. Now it's all organised to larger team sizes and coaching. Could be why England are now rubbish.

Re the cardio level, at the highest level it is brutal but for kids, we'd play from breakfast till it was too dark to see the ball.

IowaSteeler927
09-11-2014, 12:51 AM

---

Drives me nuts when people start the "one sport is harder than the other" argument. It's like the "my dad is better than your dad" argument. All it demonstrates is a complete and utter lack of understanding about how each sport works. It's like the people who say Nascar is easy because all you're doing is driving in circles and turning left. Funny thing is you ask a driver that's done stock car racing and indy car racing which is the hardest, and they'll tell you that stock cars are more difficult to drive. Case in point would be Juan Pablo Montoya who's raced both, and in an interview he flat out said indy car racing is easier.

Anywho, my point is that every sport is difficult in it's own respect. Some are more mentally demanding, than physically and vice versa.

Geordie
10-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Haway the lads. The absolute mentalness that is NUFC continues, first win of the season V Leicester, followed by away win at Spurs, then tonight away win at Man city (cough spit horrid abortion that they are!), we even played two teens up front and a bloke who's been out for 2 years.

NUFC, less of a football team, more a psychiatric illness.