PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone unhappy with the David DeCastro selection?

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 01:23 AM
post here and explain why.

(if youre happy with the selection, continue posting in the david decastro thread where everybody is happy with the selection).

my initial hunch is this could be the happiest steelernation as a majority has been with a first round selection in quite a while. it seems nobody at all is upset or disappointed.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Bruce Arians is disappointed. He wanted another tall WR.

dreegking
04-27-2012, 01:27 AM
This is a late first round robbery in the mold of Miller and comparable to Pouncy in value. It's absolutely goldiculous.

PhantomJB93
People could have been upset if we had to choose between Glenn and Hightower and went Glenn, but when the top guard prospect, who could have gone top ten and is being touted as the best guard in years, falls into your lap, and guard is your weakest position, you really can't complain.

Blackout
If we got Hightower instead, I wouldn't be as excited as I am now. No complaints here. DeCastro owns.

Our front office is the best in the league. So awesome we have Kevin Colbert.

StainlessStill
04-27-2012, 01:31 AM
In the midst of Kevin Colbert's teams and first rounds ultimately being All-Pro's & putting together Super Bowl caliber teams, this may be his best 1st rounder YET. Ecstatic to land DeCastro. This dude is a KILLER.

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 01:42 AM
I'm ecstatic with the DeCastro selection, without a doubt the best value pick of Round 1.:tt02:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__prpLK188us/SjxSkZc_NFI/AAAAAAAABL0/SMCKGTSOe_w/s320/HappyDance2.gif

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 01:52 AM
**** no! I'm totally stoked, who would have thought he dropped that far? I never even thought Glenn would have dropped tbh. We filled our biggest need, couldn't have been a better first round for us. He will be an immediate starter this year, the only question is left or right lol

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 02:08 AM
**** no! I'm totally stoked, who would have thought he dropped that far? I never even thought Glenn would have dropped tbh. We filled our biggest need, couldn't have been a better first round for us. He will be an immediate starter this year, the only question is left or right lol

Colbert and Tomlin said that DeCastro will start off on the right where he played at Stanford.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 02:19 AM
i've been wanting a guard in the 1st since the year we knew faneca was leaving but to get one that graded as high as decastro is just unbelievable.

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Hopefully no more of the type of sh** we saw in week 1 last year, when Legursky got driven back into Mendenhall an caused a fumble almost instantly

SoCalFan
04-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Well Tony, nobody listened!!! Happy people posting here! ME TOO!!!

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Well Tony, nobody listened!!! Happy people posting here! ME TOO!!!
http://blackwaterdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/homer-simpson-doh.gif?w=290

Mistah_Q
04-27-2012, 03:00 AM
I bet Ozzie Guillen doesn't like it.

Dalarin
04-27-2012, 03:46 AM
Like I said in another post Ngata is displeased.

vindrow
04-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Bruce Arians is disappointed. He wanted another tall WR.

Well, Arians got Floyd...is he tall?

steeltheone
04-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Glad we got him...It really didnt take any kind of " Draft expertise" to make this pick.

RuHappy69
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Anyone that complains about us getting Decastro at 24 when he should have been gone top 15 tops, knows absolutely nothing about football. Hello 2012 version of Alan Fanaca!!!!!!!!

Go 'Lers
04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Who cares who the Steelers picked, THEY ACTUALLY ADDRESSED THE O-LINE IN THE FIRST ROUND. Let's not ruin this perfect moment hahaha.:applaudit:

In all seriousness, I wasn't familiar with him but if he is as they describe him as scrappy and hard nosed then I'm happy. Sounds like a fit for our team but now it's time to see if the pick pans out.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, David DeCastro!

Steelers5895
04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
no brainer pick. Not very glamourous but he is our starter right now. Can't complain when you draft an immediate starter at #24 in a position of not only ned but desperation.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2012, 08:41 AM
There were a lot of good punters that still were on the board - after not having to trade up to grab the best punter available I hated to pass up on a good punter with the 24th pick - hopefully this will work out:chuckle:

steelax04
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm still mad the Steelers always neglect the O-line in the draft... :chuckle:

Glad we won't have to hear that until next year.

Wallace108
04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm still mad the Steelers always neglect the O-line in the draft... :chuckle:

Glad we won't have to hear that until next year.

Yes, but we didn't take Hightower. Now we're neglecting the linebacker position. :wink02:

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm not happy.

I'm pissed because we are picking that high in the draft. Our team is WAY too talented to be picking 24th. That Denver loss still haunts me.

DeCastro sounds like a great pick... I'm fine with him. Thought of an all pro OG next to Pouncey sounds pretty good to me. Given that everyone seems to love the pick, I suspect he'll be our first bust out of the first round in a lotta years.

EbonySteel86
04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
If Ben gets sacked 40+ times behind this line, then we know what the problem is!

TRH
04-27-2012, 09:17 AM
i've been watching draft analysis all morning to see what they would have to say and not ONE word so far about us and our steal of the draft...disappointing considering we're one of, if not, the most popular franchise in the NFL.
I know a G isn't a 'sexy' pic, but i don't know how many more hours of discussion about Tannehill and Richardson one can actually have. Sheez....

That said....i'm disappointed we didn't get Hightower, a player just made to wear a Pittsburgh uniform, and it was doubly painful to see NE move up so they could snatch him from Baltimore, but how can you pass on such a highly rated G? You can't. Our QB spends more time on his back and we need to keep him uprght and Kemo needs replaced. This guy could, and should, be a fixture here for years and years to come. Hopefully he doesn't come down with our "injury curse" that we have going.
I'm very happy with the pick. Looking forward to this evening to see what we do next.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm not happy.

I'm pissed because we are picking that high in the draft. Our team is WAY too talented to be picking 24th. That Denver loss still haunts me.

DeCastro sounds like a great pick... I'm fine with him. Thought of an all pro OG next to Pouncey sounds pretty good to me. Given that everyone seems to love the pick, I suspect he'll be our first bust out of the first round in a lotta years.

There is no way he becomes a bust he is to much of a complete player and he is just getting better but who knows...

jjpro11
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
this is the least controversial Steelers 1st round pick I can recall. i don't think any Steelers fan will argue with the pick, except maybe those that are also die-hard Crimson Tide fans lol.

in 1998 we took Faneca 26th overall. in round 3, we took Hines Ward 92nd overall. maybe history will repeat itself this year and we'll find another gem later this draft.

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2012, 10:52 AM
i've been watching draft analysis all morning to see what they would have to say and not ONE word so far about us and our steal of the draft...disappointing considering we're one of, if not, the most popular franchise in the NFL.

Peter King likes the pick

I think Pittsburgh never was going to do anything except take an offensive lineman in round one to help that destitute group, and it was manna from heaven that David "Steve Hutchinson II'' fell into their laps at 24.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/27/2012.nfl.draft.first.round/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0

FrancoLambert
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
As mentioned previously, Ngata and Harbaugh too, can't be too pleased.
Their D-line manhandling our O-line should be a thing of the past.
But nobody in Steeler Nation should be the least bit disappointed.
We lucked out......the best guard to solidify our worst unit.
Improved running game, better protection for Ben.......NICE!!!!
:tt04::tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03: :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Peter King likes the pick

]rich gannon says we pair him with pouncey and we now have 2 interior linemen who are gonna spend the next 10-12 years in the "pro bowl".

since that may be eliminated we may have to settle for having 2 all-pro.

i agree that this seems like the least controversial pick in some years. maybe even less so than big ben.

i love our defense and all the weapons we couldve added (players that some said we needed to add, but this along with the firing of arians shows a true commitment to having a top 10 offense.

pete74
04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I know a G isn't a 'sexy' pic, but i don't know how many more hours of discussion about Tannehill and Richardson one can actually have. Sheez....

That said....i'm disappointed we didn't get Hightower, a player just made to wear a Pittsburgh uniform, and it was doubly painful to see NE move up so they could snatch him from Baltimore, but how can you pass on such a highly rated G? You can't. Our QB spends more time on his back and we need to keep him uprght and Kemo needs replaced. This guy could, and should, be a fixture here for years and years to come. Hopefully he doesn't come down with our "injury curse" that we have going.
I'm very happy with the pick. Looking forward to this evening to see what we do next.

Its all I read all morning. We got the steal of the draft. It was in yahoo, MSN and a few others

TRH
04-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Its all I read all morning. We got the steal of the draft. It was in yahoo, MSN and a few others

cool. I just sat through 4 1/2 hrs of TV sports analysis including First Take and nothing...not one thing.

DJJorel
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Someone on the radio said that he is a better prospect than another interior lineman that the Steelers took with the 18th pick in 2010....and that guy turned out to be pretty damn good...

With this pick, the Steelers addressed their biggest need. Now, all of a sudden, the OLine got a lot younger, and they have tons more potential as a unit...

I REALLY like this pick!!!

Atlanta Dan
04-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Bill Barnwell at ESPN Grantland rates the pick as one of the 5 best moves last night

Outside of Blackmon and the quarterbacks taken with the first two picks on Thursday, there was no better match of team, style, and need in the first round than the Steelers and DeCastro. The Stanford graduate was rumored to be a target for various teams in the middle of the first round, and while he might be one of the five or six best players in the draft, the relative lack of importance placed on guards caused him to fall to Pittsburgh with the 24th pick. What the Steelers get with DeCastro is the next Alan Faneca, a dominant all-around interior lineman who will be a leader on and off the field. The Steelers have struggled over the past several years to replace Faneca, and while they found a keeper two years ago in center Maurkice Pouncey, their offensive line has been the Achilles' heel of a team that's above-average or better in every other facet of the game. The combination of Pouncey and DeCastro gives them a strong base on the interior and should improve Pittsburgh's performance in short yardage going forward. With DeCastro's ability and Pittsburgh's proven excellence in developing young talent, there might not be a single player in the draft more likely to make five Pro Bowls than DeCastro.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/25185/five-up-five-down-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 12:43 PM
cool. I just sat through 4 1/2 hrs of TV sports analysis including First Take and nothing...not one thing.them guys are jagoffs who are gonna rub bill belichicks penis for 4 and a half hours. charley casserly said david is better coming out of college than faneca was.

Someone on the radio said that he is a better prospect than another interior lineman that the Steelers took with the 18th pick in 2010....and that guy turned out to be pretty damn good...

confirmed. i heard that as well on sirius.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Great pick up. I was watching him drop and sat there and said, if he fall to us, its a flat out steal. I'll take anything OLine at this point.

Its always great when you have the shit ass teams who can;t figure out how to draft and trae around this guy and that pick, than F it all up again. Got to love teams like the benglas, rams, stains etc.

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Colbert and Tomlin said that DeCastro will start off on the right where he played at Stanford.

makes sense, but you never know how things will pan out in training camp if he impresses. pouncey wasn't expected to take over as the starter in his rookie season either.

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Like I said in another post Ngata is displeased.

I agree, Haloti Ngata won't be able to spend half of the game from now on in our offensive backfield...

http://utahproathletes.com/assets/haloti%20ngata/haloti%20ngata.jpg

Vis
04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
The Tomlin quote is being mischaracterized. He didn't say double D would start at RG, he said he is a RG but that they would put the best players on the field which meant, to me, that if playing him the LG put the best 5 on the field, that's what they will do.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 02:56 PM
i think its safe to say this threads intended mark has been missed...:chuckle:

tanda10506
04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Either way he is going to start, no way Legs AND Foster beat him out, and I dont think they will have a 1st rnd O lineman ride the bench.

devin7558
04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
hes a left guard in our scheme. legursky is not a starter there, hes below average athlete and isnt strong enough to anchor and foster doesnt have the athleticism to plug into that left spot and pull or trap.

Double D fixes so many issues along the front of that line. Now if colon stays healthy the o-line could go from biggest weakness last season to arguably the biggest strength this season. remarkable that he fell.

i already want a decastro jersey dammit!

ricardisimo
04-27-2012, 03:29 PM
i think its safe to say this threads intended mark has been missed...:chuckle:
VLnWf1sQkjY

MrAustin412
04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Absolutely not. No. No way. Nuh huh. This was a tremendous pick. There is no way possible you can consider this a horrible pick. At all.

http://www.fourthandtwelve.com/2012/04/steelers-draft-david-decastro.html

STEELAMANIA
04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Whoever hates this pick must've bumped their head reaaaaallllllll hard.

LVSteelersfan
04-27-2012, 06:14 PM
God, I hate this pick. Worst pick ever. What a bust.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!! Someone had to say it for the OP's sake. But seriously folks. Three Oline starters in the first two rounds three years in a row. All the naysayers out there that were saying that the Steelers will never address the Oline need to eat some crow. I love the way the Steelers front office does things. Mike Wallace didn't go anywhere and was not allowed to sabotage the team's salary cap. They picked up some decent free agents in Cotchery, Batch and Lefty. None of this eats up the salary cap. And then to pick up Decastro on top of everything. It is great to be a Steeler's fan and watch those stupid Cleveland Clowns pick a loser QB once again.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
here's a quote from a hilarious cardinal fan...:toofunny:

It was a great pick and they wasted no time making it. Don't worry Cards fans, If Whiz (A big if) is still coach 7-8 years from now he will find his way to our roster.

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=60965&page=2

those guys are jelous that the steelers landed him...

sharkweek
04-27-2012, 06:33 PM
yeah, the only way anyone could be remotely disappointed with this pick is if they got themselves too hyped up on landing someone like Dont'a Hightower.

But given that DeCastro should have gone much higher in the draft and our need on the OL is much greater, there really shouldn't be anyone who could remain upset when giving the pick a second thought.

NSMaster56
04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
At this point in time I can't find fault with the pick.

In fact, it's probably going to take a lot to happen the next few years to make me 'unhappy' with this pick.