PDA

View Full Version : Could the Steelers become a 'run left' team?

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 02:50 AM
The following hypothetical rests on two assumptions:

1) David DeCastro beats out incumbent starter Ramon Foster for the RG position
2) Ramon Foster beats out incumbent starter Doug Legursky for the LG position

This leaves the offensive line as follows:

LT: Marcus Gilbert
LG: Ramon Foster
C: Maurkice Pouncey
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Willie Colon

It was no secret last year that the Steelers had their most success running the ball to the right side. But in the above scenario, the two players on the right side are now on the left. Couple that with the pulling ability of both Pouncey and DeCastro, and that puts a lot of manpower in the philosophy of running to the left.

Thoughts?

Mistah_Q
04-27-2012, 02:58 AM
I think DeCastro on the right is only going to be temporary. Once he's comfortable with the offense, he'll be our left guard for a long time coming.

Bonus scenario: If we wind up with Massey in the second, he should be ready to start at right tackle by midseason, at which point Colon can slide in to RG (where he belongs) and DeCastro could slide to Left Guard. Foster and Legs would be backups (where they belong)... and we'd have a pretty good line the whole way across. Then we could run the ball anywhere we damn well pleased.

Kingmagyar
04-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Hey the draft's not over yet. The Steelers could still take a Cordy Glenn, Amini Silatolu, or Brandon Brooks, and then they could be a run left/right team.

MACH1
04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Hopefully they'll be a 'run wherever you want team'.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 10:38 AM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

GMU Steeler
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Ha, yes!

Curtain_of_Steel
04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
They can run left, right after we switch to the pass first offense, lol

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Hey the draft's not over yet. The Steelers could still take a Cordy Glenn, Amini Silatolu, or Brandon Brooks, and then they could be a run left/right team.

ya i would definitely take any of those guards in rd. 2. glenn most likely won't drop to us almost guaranteed. though hey you never know, we thought the same thing about decastro.

i really want alameda taamu though, but if we can get 2 awesome guards in the draft, you do it.

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 02:16 PM
for whatever reason, Bruce Arians only knew how to design running plays to the right. hopefully Todd Haley is going to be able to draw up running plays that can be successful going both right and left.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/September-2010/The-Ultimate-Hater-039s-Guide-to-the-Tampa-Bay-Bucs/Tomlin-1.jpg

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I just wanna see Ben pick apart defenses this season....would love to be a top 5 offense and have a #1 defense

NSMaster56
04-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Sure, why not?

Of course, I don't think this means they'll switch back to primarily being a running team in the new 'fun and gun' NFL.