Vitals
Height
6-7
Arm Length
Weight
323 lbs.
Hand Length

Latest News
04/26/2012 - ROB RANG'S TOP 50 PLAYERS OF THE 2012 NFL DRAFT: 41. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State: At 6-7 and 323 pounds, Adams certainly looks the part of an NFL offensive tackle. He's flashed the ability to dominate while playing left tackle for the Buckeyes and has the light feet and long arms to remain at this all-important position in the NFL. Inconsistency, injuries and poor off-field decisions have marred what should have been a noteworthy career at Ohio State and as such I have reservations that Adams' pro career, like his collegiate one, could leave his team wanting more. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

More Mike Adams News
Overview
At this point Adams lacks the great technique that would make him a reliable left tackle to protect a right-handed quarterback's blind side. Given time he certainly could learn. Meantime, Adams already moves well enough to get into linebackers on the second level. He has a substantial frame with conspicuous muscle in the right places and the footwork of a dancer, albeit more like hip hop than ballet. On film he did well handling Wisconsin's J.J. Watt (drafted No. 11 overall by Texas last year), but was befuddled by the nifty moves of Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan (drafted No. 16 overall by Washington last year). In his final two seasons as a starter, Adams had issues on and off the field.
He underwent shoulder surgery and then a season-ending left foot injury, both in 2008. Adams missed five games in 2009 with knee injury and was suspended for two games the same year for violating team rules. He as one of five players suspended first five games last year for receiving benefits from selling collectibles through a tattoo parlor and had to pay back $1,000 he received for a ring.

Close
Analysis
Pass blocking: Tall, long, athletic pass protector. Generally gets out of three-point stance with good knee bend and a wide base. Improving his ability to use his hands to redirect rushers and late blitzers away from the pocket. Power rushers lose most battles. Has an adequate anchor in close quarters, will reset hands and move feet to sustain. Stops his feet after initial contact, relying on length but allowing defender to get the corner or spin inside. Run blocking: Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet. Attacks when necessary, though he won't consistently dominate and can lose balance when overextending. Quick feet to get inside of defensive tackles to wall off inside and reach
linebackers at the second level. Nice punch which he uses to knock down smaller defenders with one extension. Height can be a detriment in short-yardage, defender can get under his pads to hold the line. Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area. Pulling/trapping: Best on the outside because of his height and athleticism, but is capable of blocking on the move. Effective in space and usually drops his hips to get leverage and sustain against shorter defenders. Initial Quickness: Excellent quick-twitch movement off the snap in pass protection and as a run blocker. Finds defenders with his hands immediately and gets feet moving to engage and sustain. Can be beat off the edge coming out of his stance lunging to reach speedy wide rushers. Downfield: Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers. Used at tight end on unbalanced lines. Intangibles: Suspended the first two games of the 2009 season for violating team rules, cited in January 2009 for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia (charges were eventually dropped) after being stopped for running a stop sign. One of five players suspended for first five games of 2011 season for receiving benefits from a tattoo parlor owner, selling championship rings, jerseys and awards; Adams was required to pay back $1,000 for the ring he sold.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
I can't say I like this pick at all. A unreformed pot head? A Poor character player? I don't like this pick. What are we becoming the Bungholes?

I don't care what he can do on the field. He's useless if he gets suspended which I think is very likely.

Darthslayrr
04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Will Colon or Gilbert move to left guard?

PhantomJB93
04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I can't say I like this pick at all. A unreformed pot head? A Poor character player? I don't like this pick. What are we becoming the Bungholes?

There's a point where you have to look past character issues and just take the guy when he's by far the best talent available at a position you need. If it weren't for the weed Adams would have been a top 25 pick.

BKAnthem
04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Colbert must have been reading my posts on here concerning that Line...lol

austinfrench76
04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Great pick up. 2 1st round talents for out oline! !!!

Go 'Lers
04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
So Mike Adams tested positive for marijuana at the combine. Ready for the irony, he's a criminology major lol

ETL
04-27-2012, 09:02 PM
can we put a clause in the contract: if he tests positive for dope he needs to give back his signing bonus and we get to snip his balls off

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
There's a point where you have to look past character issues and just take the guy when he's by far the best talent available at a position you need. If it weren't for the weed Adams would have been a top 25 pick.

When, and not if, he get's suspended what good will he be to us?

It's one thing to screw up as a freshman. It's quite another to screw up at the combine four years later. He's learned nothing from his mistakes. Makes the whole trade of Holmes for being a pot head look pretty damn dumb and totally hypocritical.

kan_t
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
A good LT is hard to find for good teams as the good one always goes early. It's a high risk high reward pick which address their needs. I'm not excited about the pick but I can't complain.

Mistah_Q
04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Adams can start at RT from day one. I have to say I was hoping to get Massie with this pick -- but I didn't think Adams would still be available either. Another steal, as long as we're careful about his character. I'll trust the FO on this one for now.

We're going to see either this:

Gilbert - Colon - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adame

Or this:

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Adams

DeCastro is eventually going to be our left guard, he just might not start the season that way. Either way, that interior is going to be one nasty interior. Guys, we can pound the rock again!

And as an added bonus -- perhaps why they went with Adams over Massie - Adams will be a fine Right Tackle but he just might mature, over time, into a top calibre Left Tackle.

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 09:06 PM

I don't care what he can do on the field. He's useless if he gets suspended which I think is very likely.

I'd bet you'd be surprised how many athletes smoke pot.

Busforever
High risk high reward pick. But considering the fact that we added De Castro before, this is a controlled risk. Even if Mike Adams fails to be a great pro, OLine is still better after this draft. And if he succeeds, we won't have any more problem for the next 10 years. I like the pick!

Merchant
Give the guy a chance. Young kids make mistakes. Especially in College where a lot of experimentation takes place.

Look how many mistakes Ben has made lol. But he was given another chance and has come back better than ever.

sdevore
04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
gilbert decastro pouncey colon adams

could be best line in nfl and redman could rush for 1800 yards especially if wallace signs and teams cant put 8 in the box. super bowl 7 here we come

mesaSteeler
can we put a clause in the contract: if he tests positive for dope he needs to give back his signing bonus and we get to snip his balls off

And how will that help? We just threw away a second round pick on a no character, loser pothead who isn't going to change his ways. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get canned within three years and either get traded for an fifth round pick like Holmes or get kicked out of the league.

BUCKEYE4EVER

Adams already wrote apolgy letters to every team pre draft and offered to delay any signing bonus for 1.5 years

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:08 PM

And how many are so damn addicted and are so STUPID that they do it at the combine when they know they will be tested?

steel-EERS
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
marvell smith smoked weed and that turned out ok for us, and this kid is at least as talented as Smith was and probably better. Kugler must be doing back flips

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/78765.html?sct=dt-team

PLAYERS
Mike Adams
Pittsburgh Steelers
Round 2, Pick 56

SI Grade
SI Grading System

Position: T
Class: Sr
School: Ohio State
HT: 6'7Ĺ"
WT: 300 lbs.
40 Time: 5.28
Conference: Big Ten

Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-conference honors after his senior and junior seasons. Suspended for five games as a senior for his role in Ohio State?s tattoo scandal.

Positives: Large, athletic tackle with an enormous amount of upside. Bends his knees, blocks with leverage and stays square. Keeps his feet moving throughout the action, strong at the point and easily controls defenders. Immediately gets his hands up, jolts opponents with good punch and keeps his head on a swivel. Quickly sets up in pass protection and displays solid footwork sliding out off the edge. Stays square and seals defenders from the action. Possesses a large, thick frame yet easily moves about the field.

Negatives: Really does not finish blocks on running plays. Not naturally light on his feet and would not fit a conventional zone blocking scheme. Lacks classic footwork for a left tackle.

Analysis: Adams is a large lineman that offers a terrific combination of power and athleticism. He possesses a great amount of upside yet needs to polish his game and improve his run blocking .

Projection: 2nd

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/78765.html?sct=dt-team#ixzz1tIFgDej7

Cpitt78
RE: Why the Steelers took a chance on Mike Adams.

Just got done watching KC address the media live on Steelers.com. He said the kid (Mike Adams) approached them after he failed his drug test at the combine. The Steelers told him at that time "look, you are off our board and if you want to be back on it here is what you need to do..." KC wouldn't go into detail but he said that Mike Adams did enough to satisfy their request and added that had he not reached out to them, essentially showing that he realized how big of a mistake he made, they wouldn't have even thought to bring him back up for a second visit.

C

NoShootouts
And how many are so damn addicted and are so STUPID that they do it at the combine when they know they will be tested?

he made some dumb mistakes .... Steelers met the guy and talked to him ... decided that he is worth giving a second chance ... lots of judgement towards someone you've never met

Steelerfreak58
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Excellent pick and I am sure the FO will have a long long talk about character with Mr. Adams and the expectations that come with playing for the Steelers. These 2 picks will propel this team as a power house offense for quite some time if it stays healthy.

FINALLY THEY HAVE ADDRESSED THE PROBLEM! GOD BLESS IT!

TheVet
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Our OL is moving out of the era of journeymen and duct tape!

Bobby Steel
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Excited by his potential but didn't we just get rid of a kid from Ohio State that couldn't stop smoking weed?

AgentGold007
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm going to give the guy a chance before I throw in the Terrible Towel on him or forecast him as a future menace to society. He's a Steeler now and that's good enough for me. Go Steelers!

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
And how many are so damn addicted and are so STUPID that they do it at the combine when they know they will be tested?how do you know he did it at the combine? it stays in your system for a month plus he has glaucoma....

...and aids.

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm going to give the guy a chance before I throw in the Terrible Towel on him or forecast him as a future menace to society. He's a Steeler now and that's good enough for me. Go Steelers!:drink:

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
I just wonder how much higher they valued his play over Massie that they chose him.

Cpitt78
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE...and aids.[/QUOTE]

Well played sir,...well played.

JCPsteelers
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
The pot smoking doesn't bother. Its the issues of motivation and desire that concern me. Hopefully he is going to pick it up now that he is a professional.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
how do you know he did it at the combine? it stays in your system for a month plus he has glaucoma....

...and aids.

Every player know they are going to get tested. It's not like it's going to be a surprise for them. Even if he did it a month before that means he couldn't lay of the stuff. Not a good sign.

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 09:25 PM
I just wonder how much higher they valued his play over Massie that they chose him.maybe massie is strictly a RT :noidea:

Dalarin
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM

Adams already stated he would be willing to delay his signing bonus for 18 months and forfeit the bonus if he tests positive... Doesn't that help us with our salary cap issues?

Steel95
04-27-2012, 09:26 PM
This is a Risky Pick, I didn't see this one coming at all. I really don't like it, the kid has some character issues, not major issues, but I think too many to risk a 2nd round draft choice. I really would have preferred they took the NT from Clemson, Thompson. However, the Steelers seems to always prove us wrong when we
(The Fans) think we know better. The kid has to grow up, time to stop being pot head and become a Law Abiding Citizen. Marijuana? Tell me, how many of you on this board haven't tried it? But then again, none of us are about to sign a Million Dollar Contract either. Grow Up Idiot!!!! Welcome to the Steelers.

steeltheone
04-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Not a typical Steelers pick....Very risky...Not a fan either!

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
maybe massie is strictly a RT :noidea:

Yeah, but I figured they were comfortable with Gilbert there. Plus, LT is Adams' ceiling...doesn't mean he'll reach that ceiling.

kan_t
04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
maybe massie is strictly a RT :noidea:
This. Adams' upside is a Pro-Bowl LT. I have questions about his off-field problems but it seems that the Steelers have figured it out and they think it's too good to pass on his potential.

Buddha Bus
04-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Relax! It's not like he murdered 2 guys outside of an Atlanta nightclub. He'll be fine. At least give the guy a chance to take the field before we put him in the electric chair.

kan_t
04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah, but I figured they were comfortable with Gilbert there. Plus, LT is Adams' ceiling...doesn't mean he'll reach that ceiling.
That's why he's a high risk, high reward pick. And I'm not sold that the Steelers are comfortable with Gilbert.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
I could understand taking a chance on a fifth or a six round pothead who has a very limited chance to make the team. However this clown has had trouble written all over him for his entire college career. It's not just one mistake, it's the pattern of mistakes, the stupidity of them, and his inability to learn.

What bothers me is the "opportunity cost"* of this pick. A second round pick should make the team be a starter for a long time. Who else could we have had who didn't have such a spotted history? If this doesn't work out and I don't think it will, then consider that we just lost a long term starter. Not a good bet in my opinion no matter how much "potential" Adams may have. This draft just went from being a A+ to a C-.

*opportunity cost - Opportunity cost is the cost of any activity measured in terms of the value of the next best alternative forgone (that is not chosen). It is the sacrifice related to the second best choice available to someone, or group, who has picked among several mutually exclusive choices.[1]

TheVet
04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Agreed that neither Gilbert or Adams is a guarantee. But congrats to the front office - they're finally taking a serious shot at an OL rebuilding effort. This coupled with a new OC, is very, very promising.

Regarding the "opportunity cost" - the OL has been the red-headed stepchild for more than five years ... so the opportunity cost has been incurred in the other direction for quite awhile. I think it cost us our playoffs last year.

Aren't you growing tired of seeing Ben on his back 4 times each game?

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Adams already stated he would be willing to delay his signing bonus for 18 months and forfeit the bonus if he tests positive... Doesn't that help us with our salary cap issues?

I'm not sure if the collective bargaining agreement to say nothing of the players union would permit such a contract to be written. I very much doubt the contract will be written like this.

Bluedust
04-27-2012, 09:44 PM

Just athletes? Try most people.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Agreed that neither Gilbert or Adams is a guarantee. But congrats to the front office - they're finally taking a serious shot at an OL rebuilding effort. This coupled with a new OC, is very, very promising.

Regarding the "opportunity cost" - the OL has been the red-headed stepchild for more than five years ... so the opportunity cost has been incurred in the other direction for quite awhile. I think it cost us our playoffs last year.

Aren't you growing tired of seeing Ben on his back 4 times each game?

You are presuming that Adams will not get into trouble again in spite of his four year pattern and that he will live up to his "potential". We do have other needs besides OL and there were other also other OL players available in case you did not want to address one of our other needs with the second round pick. This is an all or nothing pick and gambling a second round pick like this is foolish. If Adams lights up again then Ben will still have same chance he does now of being on his back.

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏ @EdBouchette via twitter:

Mike Adams, #steelers second rounder, had to convince them after they removed him from draft board. http://tinyurl.com/bpxyc8d

Retweeted by Jason La Canfora

https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Steelers go with Ohio State OT in second round
April 27, 2012 9:43 pm
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-go-with-ohio-state-ot-in-second-round-633413/
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers went out of their comfort zone in two very big ways, bucking their history and challenging their own sense of rejecting players of questionable character when they drafted Ohio State Mike Adams on the second round Thursday night.

It's the first time since 1968 that they drafted two offensive linemen on the first two rounds, taking Adams one day after they drafted Stanford guard David DeCastro with the first pick.

And they dug deep into their research to draft a player who tested positive for marijuana use at the Indianapolis combine and then lied to everyone about it.

Adams, who is 6-7 ᅡᄐ, 322 pounds, apparently was mortified when he learned he had tested positive. A native of Farrell, Pa., and a lifelong Steelers fan he said, according to his agent, Monroeville native Eric Metz, "I blew it. I blew my chance of being a Steeler.''

Metz said he told him, "If you were my son, I'd tell you to get in the car, drive up there, see them face to face like a man and tell them you screwed up. He got in his car and drove over there. It was important to him, he wanted to be a Steeler.''

When he arrived, he met with Colbert, coach Mike Tomlin and president Art Rooney.

"We told him he was off our draft board,'' Colbert said.

But the fact that Adams made that drive, which the Steelers appreciated, led to circumstances that culminated in them drafting him Friday night.

The Steelers laid out some stipulations for Adams to get back on their draft board, which included counseling. Colbert said he met them all, and the put gave him a first-round grade on their board.

Colbert admitted he was a risk, but said all draft picks are risks, and that Adams showed them he is serious about making up for his mistake.

As Metz said, "He ate a big piece of humble pie and he's ready to move on with his life."

If he can put the marijuana issue behind him -- he also was suspended for five games last season after getting caught up in the Buckeyes' "tattoogate" -- then the Steelers might have gotten another steal as they pour another high pick into the rebuilding of their offensive line.

The last time the Steelers drafted offensive linemen on the first two rounds was 1968, when they drafted Mike Taylor of Southern Cal and Ernie Ruple of Arkansas, both tackles.

The Steelers have now spent four top draft picks in their offensive line over the past three seasons. They drafted Maurkice Pouncey with the first pick in 2010, tackle Marcus Gilbert with their second-round draft choice in 2011.

"I feel very fortunate to have two quality players we feel very highly of,'' said line coach Sean Kugler. "We had to research it and we feel comfortable with him. He has great size, he has long arms, he can bend for a guy his size, he has a lot of length to him, which is important to the tackle position.

"He has things to work on in his entire game. I wouldn't say he's a finished product."

Kugler said he wasn't sure what affect, if any, Adams' selection would have on their plans to move Gilbert to left tackle. Adams played left tackle at Ohio State but Kugler said he can play both sides.

Kugler has had to juggle offensive linemen over the past two seasons and said that was only out of necessity. His goal, he said, is to have five stable starters and not move them around.

"I don't want moving parts,'' Kugler said.

tony hipchest
Yeah, but I figured they were comfortable with Gilbert there. Plus, LT is Adams' ceiling...doesn't mean he'll reach that ceiling.they already told gilbert he was moving to LT about a month and a half ago. dont mean things cant change, but that has been the plan.

TheVet
You are presuming that Adams will not get into trouble again in spite of his four year pattern and that he will live up to his "potential". We do have other needs besides OL and there were other also other OL players available in case you did not want to address one of our other needs with the second round pick. This is an all or nothing pick and gambling a second round pick like this is foolish. If Adams lights up again then Ben will still have same chance he does now of being on his back.

No, I'm not presuming anything of the sort. In fact, I said that neither Adams (or Gilbert) is a sure thing. But if they don't take a shot, they lose; it's that simple.

If the Steelers want to be successful, they need to build an NFL caliber OL. There's never a guarantee unless you take the route of going for a few 3-13 seasons. So, take a shot, or roll up and die?

Any knowledgeable fan who has been watching the Steelers for the past five years knows that our OL has been an embarrassment. The ownership and front office has determined that enough is enough. They're going to address this problem because they need to.

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 10:12 PM
santonio holmes won the SB MVP on weed.

about 20 teams passed on marino cause they thought he did blow in college (who in the late 70's early 80's didnt.

its weed, not child molestation. sure it shown adams may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but neither was kemoeatu.

it is what it is, and he is a steeler now. i will support him and root for him to succeed just like i did sweed.

our 2nd round picks typically bust out anyways, with exception of woodley, and randle el who didnt smoke weed.

Steel Peon
04-27-2012, 10:12 PM
selling championship rings, jerseys and awards;[/B] Adams was required to pay back $1,000 for the ring he sold.
Smoking dope and running a stop sign aside, these things make me slightly uneasy. Selling priceless pieces of your life (some of which you apparently did not have to pay for) makes me think you're not very good with money, hence you having to resort to doing anything for it, and consequently may not be very smart.........but I could be wrong.

kan_t
04-27-2012, 10:18 PM
santonio holmes won the SB MVP on weed.

about 20 teams passed on marino cause they thought he did blow in college (who in the late 70's early 80's didnt.

its weed, not child molestation. sure it shown adams may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but neither was kemoeatu.

it is what it is, and he is a steeler now. i will support him and root for him to succeed just like i did sweed.

our 2nd round picks typically bust out anyways, with exception of woodley, and randle el who didnt smoke weed.
Agreed. And he really wants to be a Steelers. He definitely put a great effort in gaining the Steelers' trust back. I appreciate that.

AgentGold007
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I could understand taking a chance on a fifth or a six round pothead who has a very limited chance to make the team. However this clown has had trouble written all over him for his entire college career. It's not just one mistake, it's the pattern of mistakes, the stupidity of them, and his inability to learn.

What bothers me is the "opportunity cost"* of this pick. A second round pick should make the team be a starter for a long time. Who else could we have had who didn't have such a spotted history? If this doesn't work out and I don't think it will, then consider that we just lost a long term starter. Not a good bet in my opinion no matter how much "potential" Adams may have. This draft just went from being a A+ to a C-.

*opportunity cost - Opportunity cost is the cost of any activity measured in terms of the value of the next best alternative forgone (that is not chosen). It is the sacrifice related to the second best choice available to someone, or group, who has picked among several mutually exclusive choices.[1]

Wow, the man hasn't even been fitted for his jersey yet and you're in freakout mode. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but the pick has been made. He's a Steeler now. There's nothing you can do about it now, so why waste time cutting the guy down? It doesn't serve any purpose. If you're going to cut people down based on their potential to be suspended, then you may as well throw James Harrison on the list, because we all know that if he slightly grazes someone on the football field, he's going to be fined, suspended, and probably jailed if Roger Goodell had the ability to do so.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 10:23 PM

And why is this good? Would it not have been better to take a player who may have not had much "potential" but was not train wreck either? Could we not have taken another player with lots of "potential" to fulfill a different need and we do have more than one, who did not have such a spotted past?

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 10:24 PM
the last pothead we had was a super bowl mvp, if he wins a couple for us i'll take it :)

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
And why is this good? Would it not have been better to take a player who may have not had much "potential" but was not train wreck either? Could we not have taken another player with lots of "potential" to fulfill a different need and we do have more than one, who did not have such a spotted past?i didnt say it was good. i said it as a matter of fact. whats done is done.... the pick is in and theres no getting the card back. im not gonna go ballistic because a guy smoked a jay.

obviously the steelers felt good about it. :noidea: i cant lose sleep worrying if it will happen again.

Sixburgher
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow, the man hasn't even been fitted for his jersey yet and you're in freakout mode.

This is nothing. He was about to slit his wrists last year when they didn't draft a corner in the first round.

steelax04
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Well, there goes the offensive line. So much for them addressing it this draft... :chuckle:

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 10:35 PM
As far as I'm concerned Adams is addict in denial. Offer a rational, reasonably mature young man, the chance to join an NFL team with all the money that goes with it and all they have to do is not smoke pot for a few months and they can't do it?!!!! That's the behavior of an addict and not of a recreational user. So the Steelers are going offer him counseling! Big deal, Adams needs to spend six months at the Betty Ford clinic.

I'm sure Adams was very contrite when met the Steelers. That's no surprise since that's typical addict behavior when they get caught. As was his lying about not being a user when he was caught at the combine. He's in denial that he's an addict. This is a stupid pick.

Danny136200
04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
As far as I'm concerned Adams is addict in denial. Offer a rational, reasonably mature young man, the chance to join an NFL team with all the money that goes with it and all they have to do is not smoke pot for a few months and they can't do it?!!!! That's the behavior of an addict and not of a recreational user. So the Steelers are going offer him counseling! Big deal, Adams needs to spend six months at the Betty Ford clinic.

I'm sure Adams was very contrite when met the Steelers. That's no surprise since that's typical addict behavior when they get caught. As was his lying about not being a user when he was caught at the combine. He's in denial that he's an addict. This is a stupid pick.

So I take it you are not for legalizing weed....

But seriously, don't you think you are overreacting a bit? An addict? Really? I totally understand your concerns about this pick; I mean, seriously, you are gonna get tested in the combine, stop smoking weed for a while. But your reaction to this is over the top. Let's wait and see how this guy turns out before chopping his head off.

ETL
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't mind the weed. To me, its not different than alcohol ...except for one thing ... ITS ILLEGAL.

I don't think Adams is an addict. I am just bugged that he failed a drug test during the combine - I'm more concerned about his intelligence

Sixburgher
04-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think Adams is an addict. I am just bugged that he failed a drug test during the combine - I'm more concerned about his intelligence

We won a Super Bowl and went to another with that doorknob Kemoeatu as a starter. And at least Adams can frigging block.

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I think mesaSteeler is on drugs.

dcherry
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Yea, smoking pot is not a big deal. Smoking pot before the biggest moment of your life is just dumb.

I'm cool with the pick, but slightly concerned about his decison making.

Lord of Lombardi
04-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Relax, and don't ever compare us to the Bung Holes. They draft Inmate #;s and if you think Santokeo had no character flaws you're smoking the same doobie. I like how the line is looking for 2012.

NoFieldFive
04-27-2012, 11:16 PM
guy made a few mistakes in college. he's done less than our QB was accused of as an experienced NFL elite qb

let's give the guy a chance.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Steelers take chance on OSU tackle

by SCOTT BROWN
Published: Friday, April 27, 2012, 09:20PM Last Modified: Apr 27, 2012 11:15PM

The Steelers never would have called Mike Adams on Friday had the former Ohio State offensive tackle not called them
first.

Adams contacted the Steelers in March and requested a meeting after learning he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Steelers brought in Adams for an official visit and told him they were taking him off their draft board.

That they took him with the 56th pick of the NFL Draft last night is telling of just how far Adams has come in the Steelers’ eyes since that meeting with president Art Rooney II, general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin.

The Steelers gave a first-round grade to Adams, who has the build and feet of a prototypical tackle. They felt comfortable enough after doing homework on the 6-foot-7, 323-pounder to take him after he fell to the latter part of the second round.

“He met the criteria we required for him,” Colbert said, “but it’s going to be a day-to-day working relationship between all of us. Quite honestly, I’m not so much worried about
the reward as I am about the young man getting his life in order.”

The Steelers were the only team Adams, who grew up in Farrell, reached out to after his failed drug test.

“I believe I’m the best tackle in the draft,” he said.

Adams likely would have been a first-round pick if not for missteps at Ohio State as well what took place after he left college.

The Dublin, Ohio, native was suspended for the first five games of 2011 for accepting improper benefits along with a handful of teammates, transgressions that eventually brought down former Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel.

The drug test almost caused the Steelers to write him off. Colbert still has reservations.

“I won’t be convinced that he made it as a player until the day he retires,” Colbert said. “These are young people. Young people make mistakes.”

Adams joined first-round pick David DeCastro, a Stanford guard, as the Steelers’ first two picks, marking the first time since 1968 the team used its first two picks on offensive linemen.

Offensive line coach Sean Kugler said Adams can play left or right tackle. The Steelers can afford to bring him along slowly with Marcus Gilbert ticketed for left tackle and Willie Colon slated to return to right tackle.

Colon has missed all but one game the past two seasons, and Adams provides insurance in case Colon continues to struggle with injuries.

DeCastro and Adams will miss much of offseason practices, as rookies from schools on quarter systems aren’t allowed to take part in drills until classes are done.

But Kugler isn’t complaining.

“I promise that we will get the right guys in the right positions,” Kugler said.

Scott Brown is a staff writer for
Trib Total Media. He can be reached at sbown@tribweb.com.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/1109899-85/adams-steelers-tackle-colbert-round-ohio-coach-colon-draft-kugler?printerfriendly=true#ixzz1tIm3H2pN

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
A quick Mike Adams dossier
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/34013-a-quick-mike-adams-dossier
Friday, 27 April 2012 21:21
Written by Dan Gigler

Below is a re-post of something I'd put together on Adams last month -- we'll have new stuff coming in a bit ...

Though the Steelers ostensibly have their starting tackle positions penciled in for 2012 with second-year man Marcus Gilbert moving to protect Big Ben's blind side and Willie Colon hoping to make it through a game -- let alone a season -- for the first time in a few years.

Given Colon's lack of durability, a lack of depth at the position and the simple fact that the Steelers are paying over $100 million to an exceptionally talented quarterback who by some miracle isn't in a vegetative state given the abuse he's taken over the years (314 career sacks!), continuing to bolster the offensive line might be a good idea.

To that end, this is a better-than-average draft for tackles and a number of mock drafts seem to suggest that Ohio State's Mike Adams will be available when the Steelers pick at no. 24. At 6' 7" 320+ pounds, Adams is a gigantic human being that moves around quite well. The NFL Network's Mike Mayock has Adams as the No. 4 tackle in the draft and the National Football Post has him at No. 2.

So a good fit, right?

Not quite. There's the minor matter of multiple suspensions while at Ohio State including being part of the "tattoo scandal" that brought down coach Jim Tressel. However, to hear Adams' side of things, its not at all nefarious and fairly easily forgiveable.

Adams had great Senior Bowl week, followed up by a very pedestrian combine showing, but then he killed it on Ohio State's pro day in front of bevy of Steelers personnel. Consistency may be an issue with him. He kind of puts you in mind of Max Starks: great size but not exceptionally strong, but with good movement and technique.

Here are excerpts of what the experts are saying about Adams:

NFL.com: Strengths ... He employs a decent pass set to get back and anchor himself against the bull rush, and has the footwork to shuffle and keep his feet chopping when blocking to drive a man downfield in the run game ... Weaknesses ... He is more of a catch-and-react blocker than one who delivers blows, and will need to play with more fire and look to unleash his inner-athleticism to be able to succeed at the next level ...

National Football Post: A tall, long armed, athletically built offensive tackle. Displays good initial quickness off the snap in the pass game. Demonstrates the ability to keep his base down on his initial power step off the line from a two-point stance, but will bend at the waist and get upright when asked to play from a three point stance. ... Struggles with balance and footwork at times, gets overextended when trying to shuffle and slide on a counter. Needs to continue to clean up his lower half technique and do a better job staying more compact and balanced when changing directions. ... Is an athletic kid who has a burst off the football and when he keeps his pad level own he can create a jolt. At times will get upright which negates his leverage, but does have some in-line power. Is at his best crashing down the line inside and delivering a nasty punch in order to seal the edge. ... Impression: He's a talented kid with a big frame, long arms and natural movement skills. He can bend and if he can put it all together and continue to improve his footwork he could certainly mature into a starting caliber left tackle in the NFL.

CBS: Pass blocking: Tall, long, athletic pass protector. Generally gets out of three-point stance with good knee bend and a wide base. Improving his ability to use his hands to redirect rushers and late blitzers away from the pocket. Power rushers lose most battles ... Run blocking: Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet. ... Height can be a detriment in short-yardage, defender can get under his pads to hold the line. Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area ... Initial Quickness: Excellent quick-twitch movement off the snap in pass protection and as a run blocker. Finds defenders with his hands immediately and gets feet moving to engage and sustain. Can be beat off the edge coming out of his stance lunging to reach speedy wide rushers ... Downfield: Quick out of his stance with the footwork to be effective in front of screens. Willing to get out in front of ballcarriers to take out defensive backs and linebackers ...

There isn't much film available of Adams from the 2011 season -- remember he was suspended for five games -- but there is plenty from the 2010 season. The first is a very thorough breakdown of of positive and negative plays from three big games -- Wisconsin, Iowa and the Sugar Bowl vs. Arkansas. The second is a quick hitter of highlights from the Sugar Bowl.

(See url for videos)

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
sounds like a horrible stoner that will never be reformed. :rolleyes:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Mike-Adams-Conference-Call-Transcript/cb175e33-c960-462a-b9fa-c7e2f4a7fb25

Mike Adams Conference Call Transcript

Pittsburgh Steelers

2012 NFL Draft

Thursday, April 26 – Saturday, April 28, 2012

MIKE ADAMS

Offensive Tackle

2nd Round – 56th Overall

How did you convince the Steelers to draft you?
For me, it was more about trying to get back in their good graces. I knew that I screwed up. I’ve been a lifelong Steelers fan. I struck out to meet with them and just to let them know what happened and show my remorse and let them know that I love that organization and that I’ll do anything to be a part of it.

Is this a dream come true for you?
Oh yeah. I guess you could say that. The first jersey I wore said “Steelers” across the front at Farrell Elementary School when I was six years old, so saying that it’s a dream come true is an understatement.

Were the Steelers the only team you met with?
They were the only team that I contacted to meet with, yes.

What do you feel you need to do to earn and keep this team’s trust?
Do the things I’m supposed to do. Make the right decisions. Produce on the field. As long as I do the right things I think everything will be ok.

What were some of the criteria that the Steelers laid out for you?
That’s something that’s between me and them. I think that’s probably how we’re going to keep it.

Are you more relieved than happy at this point that this has past?

I am happy to be a Steeler and relieved that it’s all over. I love this organization and I am glad to be a part of it.

What was your reaction when Kevin Colbert told you that you were off the board?

It was something that was really hard to deal with. That’s the team that I wanted to go to from day one. Ever since I started imagining playing in the NFL, the Steelers have always been the team I wanted to go to.

What are your expectations on the field?

I have high goals for myself and for my team. First and foremost, I want to win some Super Bowls. Individually, I want to be All-Pro. I want to be the best left tackle in the league. I believe I was the best tackle in the draft, and I believe I can show that on the field.

Why the affinity for the Steelers?

I am from Farrell, Pennsylvania. It’s about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. When I was a four-year old, my entire bedroom was all Pittsburgh Steelers’ stuff. I’ve been in love with this organization since I started watching football. It was important for me to reach out to them because this is something I definitely wanted to be a part of.

Did you go to Farrell high school?
I lived there until I was 12. My entire family still lives there. I go back about once every month. I’m pretty interactive in the community up there, I love that place. I graduated from Dublin

Coffman high school though.

How did you convince the Pittsburgh Steelers that you love football and have a passion for the game?
If you talk to any of my coaches or teammates I don’t think you can doubt my passion for the game. This is what I love to do, this is what I’m passionate about and this is the only place where I can really see myself being. That part wasn’t really a big issue. I think everybody knows I’m very passionate about the game, I love football and this is who I am.

On if you are more comfortable with the right or left side?
It doesn’t matter. I’ve played left my entire life and my entire career, so that’s probably where I’m more comfortable. I’ll do whatever I have to do to contribute to the Steelers.

On the battles between you and Cameron Heyward:
Cameron and I used to battle all the time so it’s good to be back with him and I can’t wait to have those heated battles in practice.

SH-Rock
04-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Honestly it's just marijuana. I don't know about Americans, but most of us Canadians have tried pot once and we don't have a screwed up country. If it becomes a consistent problem just like how partying and drinking could be then red flags will go up, but other than that I think he'll be fine. We have a veteran locker room and I think his character issues will be put under check.

Bayz101
04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm happy with the pick. I'm a little worried about his off-field issues, but excited nonetheless. I'm certainly not going to throw him under the bus and kick him in the head once it drives over. That's a lot of what i'm seeing.

Give the man a chance. Everyone makes mistakes, and just about everyone has smoked a little pot :chuckle:

I have trust that our staff and players will get him on the right path and that this pick will turn out to be a good decision looking back on it in the future.

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
Sean Kugler RE 2nd Round Pick Mike Adams

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Second-Round-Press-Conference-Transcript/2d1a007c-2ab9-4035-aa52-9946b1e7aa3a

Sean in your wildest imagination did you ever see the first two rounds unfolding like this?

I certainly didn’t expect it. I feel very fortunate to have two quality players that we thought very highly of, and spent a lot of time evaluating. Im excited to coach both of those guys.

Was Adams a first round grade for you guys?

Yes, he did have a first round grade. We did a lot of thorough research on him. We spent a lot of time with him, more than we spent with any of the other players for obvious reasons. We are real comfortable with where he is at and what he can contribute to us.

Are you worried about all the off-the-field issues?

No, and we had to research it. We feel comfortable with him.

He is rated very highly as a pass protector. What have you seen that makes him so good at pass protecting?

He has great size and long arms. He can bend for a guy his size. He has a lot of length to him and that is important at the tackle position. He’s a physical player and a size combination that is hard to beat at the tackle position.

Does he need work at run blocking?

He’s going to have to work on his entire game. I wouldn’t say that he’s a finished product. Mike is a willing worker and I’m excited to get working with him.

Is he going to play left or right tackle?

We’ll get him in the right spot. He does have the ability to play both, but that will remain to be seen.

How do you see the offensive line shaking out?

We’re going to see how things go. We want to get the guys in the best spots. Realistically I don’t want moving parts. It has been more of a necessity for us to have moving parts. We love to have guys at five stable positions and keep them there. We’ll get the right five and see where we go from there.

He’s had trouble with speed off the edge, but seems to have good feet. Will pro coaching help that?

A guy his size, speed probably will be his nemesis. We’ll continue to work on that. There will be some technique things. He presents other problems to players. With each guy you give and take a little bit.

Is he a guy that you can bring along slower?

That could be a good assessment, each guy is different. Some guys can just step in and play ball, some guys can’t. that remains to be seen. I hate to put a label on one guy, we’ll see when we get to OTA’s and those things.

Does this change your plans to move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle?

I’m going to have a few beers tonight and think about it. :jawdrop: [maybe he should just take a few rips off the ol bong and ponder it] :chuckle: I think that it is two quality players that we are adding. These two guys are going to help us get better as an offensive line. I promise that we will get the right guys in the right positions.

RE: your take on the offensive line picks over the last couple of years:

Obviously you want the best players that you can get. Adding those guys will give us a talented line. You play with whoever you have. It doesn’t matter to me what round I guy is picked, I want guys that are talented and can compete throughout the game. These are two guys that really like playing football.

Are these two guys not going to be able to come in right away because of school?

David is going to graduate. The way his classes are structured he doesn’t finish until after OTA’s.

I have to check on Mike’s graduation status. If we have to spend extra time with them when they get here we’ll do that.

Will there be a difference in the running game approach with Todd Haley as Offensive Coordinator?

I think Todd likes the gap schemes. I think we’d like to be more balanced. I think it’s unique with David DeCastro, having a right guard that has the ability to pull left. There are not many of those guys, most of those guys are left guards that pull to the right, and teams are more right-handed. That will give us a chance to be more balanced, so I’m excited about that.

Will he pull to the right a lot?

He’ll pull. He can pull. If he can pull, we’re going to pull him.

FrancoLambert
04-27-2012, 11:40 PM
I think mesaSteeler is on drugs.

too bad it's not weed, he would chill out

Lord of Lombardi
04-27-2012, 11:45 PM
And how will that help? We just threw away a second round pick on a no character, loser pothead who isn't going to change his ways. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get canned within three years and either get traded for an fifth round pick like Holmes or get kicked out of the league.

Father God Mesa who must know all. " Loser Pothead who isn't going to change his ways" Tell me Osamesa, how do thee know this? These are kids. I smoked doob's when I was his age and ended up never smoking again, spending 8 years in the Corps for dumb arses like you to make dumb arse statements like this. We are building the line for a QB who is a proven winner. Join the Nation and celebrate two awesome overdue O-line picks. He is a risk but would not have been there without rolling a few papers

Years ago they said the Steelers were the worst team in the league and we would never win. 6 Lombardi's later they don't say that anymore. How'd that work out for us. Did we change? I think so! Give this guy a chance, if we can't keep him off the weed, he'll end up on the same santokeo train outta the Burgh

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
kevin colbert explains how he could draft such a demon (from the same link above)-

Kevin Colbert: I just thought I’d step up and talk about Mike Adams because I’m sure there have been comments or questions regarding the character of this young man. So please, ask away.

What did you do to investigate Mike’s situation and what did you find out?

In any prospect, we always get background information, which we did in Mike’s case. When players are subject to the testing at the combine, we don’t get those results until about a week before the actual draft. In Mike’s case, he sought us out once he was aware of the situation. He requested a face-to-face interview and meeting with myself, Art Rooney II and Coach Tomlin, and we obliged. When Mike came in, we told him he’s off our draft board. These are the stipulations that you have to accomplish for consideration for us to draft you, which the young man did. He met our criteria, he met our stipulations, and we were comfortable in taking him where we took him.

Can you be more specific about what you asked him to do?

No. All I can say is we told him you’re off our board, this is what you have to do to get back on it, and he met those criteria.

Did he go to other teams for special meetings, or just to you?

I can’t answer that. I honestly don’t know, but he sought us out very quickly. We have a great relationship with his agents, and we worked together with it.

Are you worried because he lied at the Combine? What was more grievous, the test results or him lying?

I would imagine, yes. I think with either one you could say those are usually offenses that we’re not going to forgive, but in this man’s case, he sought us out, he met the criteria we provided for him, and now we are comfortable with selecting him, but it’s going to be a day to day working relationship between all of us.

Is it more bothersome because he could not stop his behavior, even at the biggest interview of his life?

I think whenever a kid fails at the combine, we look at each individual situation and we try to figure out whether the risk is worth the reward. Quite honestly, I’m not so much worried about the reward as I am about the young man getting his life in order. In this case, we felt comfortable that he is going to do that. Whether he does or not, nobody knows, including me, him and everybody associated with this.

Does your experience with Marvel Smith and his past situation have any effect on this decision?

No, this about Mike Adams and the Steelers.

Re: Surprised he was still available:

No, again, different teams look at different criteria and view it differently. When he was there, we were comfortable with picking him.

Do you view him as a risk?

Every pick is a risk, no question about it. With this being public information, and him making it that type of situation, there is probably more of a risk than we are usually comfortable taking. Because he was forthcoming and took matters, met our criteria, we are comfortable with taking the risk.

Was the way he approached the situation a key factor in selecting him?

It was. These are young people. Young people make mistakes. If they are proactive in trying to correct those mistakes, I think you have to give that consideration, especially the way he personally sought us out. We didn’t call him, he called us. Had he not called us, this may not have occurred. But because he did – we were point blank. We told him he was off our board.

Did the prior problems with improper benefits at Ohio State factor into your decision?

You take into consideration a player’s entire body of work as a player and as a person. Again, you look at those individual infractions and weight them all together but we were comfortable taking him where we took him.

What did he do to convince you?

I am not convinced. I won’t be convinced. I am comfortable because of his actions. I won’t be convinced that he made it as a player until the day he retires.

Did you tell him over the phone that he was off your board?

Face to face.

Was that a part of the official meeting?

Yes.

Did he request the follow-up visit on his own?

Yeah, we talked to him at the combine. He was one of our 60 interviews. He requested that he be brought back here for one of our 30.

Did he have to ask the NFL for permission to do that?

No, he can call and request that.

Are you worried about Willie Colon’s health?

No, not at all. This has nothing to do with any of our other guys. It’s a decision we made based on the facts that we had and the actions the young man took. We all worked to make it the right decision.

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I love this pick, Mike Adams is able to play both the LT and the RT position and not a lot of OTs are able to do so.

madtowndrunkard
04-27-2012, 11:58 PM
I have no problem with smoking dope. I've done plenty of it my self, when I was this kids age.

I do have a problem with the fact that he was stupid enough to fail a drug test. It shows a lack of brain cells, character, and motivation. I can conclude plenty from the fact that he failed the test. He's lazy, stupid, lacks motivation, character, and drive. He's a loser. This is a wasted pick.

It's not like he was so dominant in college that his poor judgement and lack of brain cells doesn't matter. He's a project who needs a lot of drive, good work ethic, and character to succeed. Failing the easiest test to pass on that has more impact on his life then any test he's ever taken tells you all you need to know. I think the FO made the mistake of thinking this is like the good ole days when a kid says sorry to your face...it shows character and toughness. Today that is all BS. It was orchestrated by his agent. this is a wasted pick. Why do we chase off Holmes for the same stupid BS? This pick makes zero sense.

At least we did a good job on our 1st round pick.

StainlessStill
04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
So far, this draft may pan out to be our best within the last decade. The first two picks, we have an All-Pro and a Pro Bowler and the 3rd pick we landed an intriguing instinctual linebacker who has a motor like no other and has a nose for the football. Typical Pittsburgh Steelers draft. Loving it.

tony hipchest
04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
I do have a problem with the fact that he was stupid enough to fail a drug test. It shows a lack of brain cells, character, and motivation. I can conclude plenty from the fact that he failed the test. He's lazy, stupid, lacks motivation, character, and drive. He's a loser. This is a wasted pick.

It's not like he was so dominant in college that his poor judgement and lack of brain cells doesn't matter. He's a project who needs a lot of drive, good work ethic, and character to succeed. Failing the easiest test to pass on that has more impact on his life then any test he's ever taken tells you all you need to know. I think the FO made the mistake of thinking this is like the good ole days when a kid says sorry to your face...it shows character and toughness. Today that is all BS. It was orchestrated by his agent. this is a wasted pick. Why do we chase off Holmes for the same stupid BS? This pick makes zero sense.

At least we did a good job on our 1st round pick.so just to be clear, lemme get this straight. you have no problem that he actually did the drugs, just a problem that he failed the test to see that he did them? thats brilliant, because i have no problem with the steelers players doing steroids as long as they dont get caught. :doh:

I have no problem with smoking dope. I've done plenty of it my self, when I was this kids age.

i would have never guessed...

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 12:20 AM
So far, this draft may pan out to be our best within the last decade. The first two picks, we have an All-Pro and a Pro Bowler and the 3rd pick we landed an intriguing instinctual linebacker who has a motor like no other and has a nose for the football. Typical Pittsburgh Steelers draft. Loving it.

I totally agree, it's so great to be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan! our FO is so much better than those of other organizations it's not even funny...:tt02:

zsheik22
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM

A-Fricking-men!

This is the culmination of their lives. This is what these kids have busted their asses off for their whole lives. You cant stop smoking weed for 1 month before the most important day of your life to date? That is absolutely no self control, AT ALL. It;s really really sad.

These kids need classes... in college or their rookie years. They need classes on ethics and finances before it's too late.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Failed combine drug tests:

Mike Adams
Vontaze Burfict
Jamaar Jarrett
Jayron Hosley
Justin Houston
Christian Ballard
Anthony McCoy
Jonathan Dwyer
Percy Harvin
Brandon Tate
Aaron Hernandez
B.J. Raji
Vontae Davis
Jose Martinez

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/content/2010/03/24/NFL-Personnel-Men-Concerned-Marijuana-Epidemic-Draft-Class

According to one veteran club personnel man, 10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grades on their board this year [2010] have been red-flagged for marijuana use in college, an estimate echoed by two clubs' head coaches. Another NFL head coach estimated that "one-third'' of the players on his club's draft board had some sort of history with marijuana use and would thus require an extra level of evaluation as part of the pre-draft scouting process.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14756638/stupid-or-lackadaisical-why-some-fail-combine-drug-tests/rss

The players were asked one question: Is their college's drug testing program effective? Twelve said no, seven stated yes and the remaining six declined to answer or were uncertain. The players said they'd provide answers on the condition their identities not be revealed.

This lack of fear, several players explained, was because they didn't do drugs and had no reason to be concerned over testing. But the majority said their lack of concern over drug testing at their colleges was due to the belief that testing was ineffectual. In short, these players believed if they did drugs in college, they would not get caught by the system.

etc., etc. Mayhaps it's time we get off our high horses. No player has ever shown the remorse Mike Adams has on this issue, to the best of my knowledge. All the motivation that he needs is his jersey. Being a Steeler is very important to him. Being with his former teammate and practice nemesis Camerron Heyward is important to him. These are things no other team can possibly offer.

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 12:53 AM
The Steelers never pick high enough to ever get a true franchise left tackle. If they have to gamble a #2 to try and achieve it, so be it. His teammates will help him and keep him away from the unholy weed. Besides the team doctors can give him stuff that's ten times better anyway.

"If you busted every guy that smokes pot in the league you couldn't field a punt team."

A quote from a very good movie North Dallas 40 by Nick Nolte's Character. As much as we like to think of the Steelers of the 70's as gods. Most of them and the league they played in were probably smoking pot.

CaliStillersFan
04-28-2012, 01:19 AM
I wish the NFL did what the NBA decided to do a long time ago - quit testing for pot, it's not a performance enhancing drug. I'd rather see our players smoke marijuana than become addicted to prescription meds to help deal with the pain involved with playing football. If those of you out there think marijuana hurts a player's motivation, you should try taking some Oxycotin and tell me how motivated you feel.

Marijuana allows players to get pain relief without the haze/fog that pharmaceuticals cause. I have lived with chronic spinal pain for decades since I had spinal meningitis, and I chose marijuana over ANYTHING prescribed to me by my doctors. MMJ allows me to live a normal life, and work like a normal person. If I took the meds that my doctors prescribe me, I'd be sitting on the couch all day drooling on myself. It's not the 1930's Reefer Madness days anymore, we need to move past the stigmatization that marijuana is such a "dangerous drug". It's not, it is a plant and has many wonderful medicinal benefits.

Steelerfreak58
04-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Sounds like the kid knows he made a huge **** up and is willing to step up and fix it to make the team FO and Owners proud. Personally I can't figure out why marijuana isn't legal by now in all 50 states. I am not a pot smoker just don't know why it hasn't been legalized.

I think we have had one of our greatest drafts this year. We got 2 1st round picks for OL and the LB will fit in quite nicely. I think people will be ecstatic when a few more SBs come out way.

This OL will be set for a decade if they can stay healthy.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Mike Adams Conference Call Transcript

MIKE ADAMS

Offensive Tackle
2nd Round Ė 56th Overall

How did you convince the Steelers to draft you?
For me, it was more about trying to get back in their good graces. I knew that I screwed up. Iíve been a lifelong Steelers fan. I struck out to meet with them and just to let them know what happened and show my remorse and let them know that I love that organization and that Iíll do anything to be a part of it.

Is this a dream come true for you?
Oh yeah. I guess you could say that. The first jersey I wore said ďSteelersĒ across the front at Farrell Elementary School when I was six years old, so saying that itís a dream come true is an understatement.

Were the Steelers the only team you met with?
They were the only team that I contacted to meet with, yes.

What do you feel you need to do to earn and keep this teamís trust?
Do the things Iím supposed to do. Make the right decisions. Produce on the field. As long as I do the right things I think everything will be ok.

What were some of the criteria that the Steelers laid out for you?
Thatís something thatís between me and them. I think thatís probably how weíre going to keep it.

Are you more relieved than happy at this point that this has past?
I am happy to be a Steeler and relieved that itís all over. I love this organization and I am glad to be a part of it.

What was your reaction when Kevin Colbert told you that you were off the board?
It was something that was really hard to deal with. Thatís the team that I wanted to go to from day one. Ever since I started imagining playing in the NFL, the Steelers have always been the team I wanted to go to.

What are your expectations on the field?
I have high goals for myself and for my team. First and foremost, I want to win some Super Bowls. Individually, I want to be All-Pro. I want to be the best left tackle in the league. I believe I was the best tackle in the draft, and I believe I can show that on the field.

Why the affinity for the Steelers?
I am from Farrell, Pennsylvania. Itís about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. When I was a four-year old, my entire bedroom was all Pittsburgh Steelersí stuff. Iíve been in love with this organization since I started watching football. It was important for me to reach out to them because this is something I definitely wanted to be a part of.

Did you go to Farrell high school?
I lived there until I was 12. My entire family still lives there. I go back about once every month. Iím pretty interactive in the community up there, I love that place. I graduated from Dublin Coffman high school though.

How did you convince the Pittsburgh Steelers that you love football and have a passion for the game?
If you talk to any of my coaches or teammates I donít think you can doubt my passion for the game. This is what I love to do, this is what Iím passionate about and this is the only place where I can really see myself being. That part wasnít really a big issue. I think everybody knows Iím very passionate about the game, I love football and this is who I am.

On if you are more comfortable with the right or left side?
It doesnít matter. Iíve played left my entire life and my entire career, so thatís probably where Iím more comfortable. Iíll do whatever I have to do to contribute to the Steelers.

On the battles between you and Cameron Heyward:
Cameron and I used to battle all the time so itís good to be back with him and I canít wait to have those heated battles in practice.

http://burgh.us/e5d

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 02:24 AM
1st round talent, fourth round head. Hopefully Kugler can work with him and at the least he is a great RT. Gilbert , Adams Colon, Scott and Essex are decent OT group

pete74
04-28-2012, 05:50 AM
its definatly a risky pick. i wanted him in the 1st round before i found out he pooped on his drug test. he can be a very good starting LT if he just stays out of trouble and i think our team can guide him down the right path and he will be our future LT and Gilbert will man the right side

Rick5895
04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Reading the responses on this thread from some people you'd think we just drafted a major felon. Let's look at the transgressions he made; Somebody on here said he did something as a freshman, not sure what though, but he was 17 or 18.
"tatoogate" suspended 5 games by the czars at the NCAA. To me not a big deal, there are way too many restrictions on NCAA athletes on scholarship especially when it comes to money and what they can and can't do to get money. he sold some trinkets ( I may have valued more, like the rings) to get something he wanted, nothing criminal there, just violated the archaic NCAA rules.
The failed drug test is bothersome, but after he failed it he corrected his mistake by "man up" contacting the Steelers and doing the right thing...taking responsibility . There are men and women in the 40's that don't have the "stones" to do that.
He made a mistake, that doesn't make him a "loser" and remember he played at a program with a coach (Jim Tressel) who allowed his players to run a muck and who set the bar very ow as far as what is acceptable behavior.
Something else to consider, not all kids are leaders, some are followers and easily led, Adams may well be in this category. Surround him with good quality people ....like we have with the Steelers, and he may just turn out right.
This Front Office seems to do alright the majority of time selecting players, and I for one trust the judgement of Colbert , Rooney and the rest of them.
Some of you need to get of your high horses and remember he is just a kid and he will make a mistake from time to time. The fact that Mike Adams contacted the Steelers, acted like a man and "confessed his sins" did what was asked by the Steelers tells me he is well on his way to growing up.

I am glad he is a Steeler, and I expect he has learned a very valuable lesson here.

:tt04:

VTsteel
04-28-2012, 08:08 AM
I wish the NFL did what the NBA decided to do a long time ago - quit testing for pot, it's not a performance enhancing drug. I'd rather see our players smoke marijuana than become addicted to prescription meds to help deal with the pain involved with playing football. If those of you out there think marijuana hurts a player's motivation, you should try taking some Oxycotin and tell me how motivated you feel.

Marijuana allows players to get pain relief without the haze/fog that pharmaceuticals cause. I have lived with chronic spinal pain for decades since I had spinal meningitis, and I chose marijuana over ANYTHING prescribed to me by my doctors. MMJ allows me to live a normal life, and work like a normal person. If I took the meds that my doctors prescribe me, I'd be sitting on the couch all day drooling on myself. It's not the 1930's Reefer Madness days anymore, we need to move past the stigmatization that marijuana is such a "dangerous drug". It's not, it is a plant and has many wonderful medicinal benefits.

I agree.

Marijuana is medicine for a great many people.

It reminds me of something my Grand Father used to say (Full blooded Blackfoot)

"God is Great and Man is not . . . Man makes drugs - God made Pot"

I do hope Adams can stay off the pipe though and be excellent for us . . . great potential in this young man.

Ricco Suavez
04-28-2012, 08:09 AM
I am 53 years old and can honestly say I NEVER even tried pot or any other illegal drug. But if you told me my sons were abusers of pot or alcohol I would pray it was pot. All things in moderation lead to healthier lives whether its drugs, drink or even food. If we all discarded every person who has smoked some pot then we would have less than half of our Doctors, Teachers , and thankfully Lawyers and Politicians.

Unfortunately the NFL tests and suspends players who indulge. That fact alone makes this a risky pick, as we can not afford a potential starting member of our line to be suspended a game or multiple games. I hope this is just the mistakes of youth and/or the crowd he hung with. Being around this team could very well be what he needs.

I for one like the passion he already has for wanting and being a Steelers. A life long fan and now a member is something I just cannot imagine. Lets just hope that this young man becomes a productive member of society and in turn becomes a quality addition to this great team. I say give him a chance and keep an open mind.

Vis
04-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree.

Marijuana is medicine for a great many people.

It reminds me of something my Grand Father used to say (Full blooded Blackfoot)

"God is Great and Man is not . . . Man makes drugs - God made Pot"

I do hope Adams can stay off the pipe though and be excellent for us . . . great potential in this young man.

Man made pot like man made bananas and apples and corn. They are nothing like the plants that existed 200 years ago.

ebsteelers
04-28-2012, 09:02 AM

lol if the nba tested for Marijuana there would be like 4 guys from europe left

Lord of Lombardi
04-28-2012, 09:26 AM

At least we did a good job on our 1st round pick.

Did you say Stupid? (See your screen name)
Did you say lack of brain cells (see your screen name) You think anyone takes you seriously with madtowndrunkard as your name. What are you in 12th grade?
Today that is all BS. (what does this even mean)?
Wasted pick (someone sounds wasted allright and its not our 2nd round pick)
Why did we chase off Holmes? Something about multip infractions, his 1,563 Illegitimate kids amongst other things. How is that working out for NY & Sanchez.? Holmes was on his downfall and on Weed way before we drafted him. So if you think half these kids are not on weed, You must be ignorant as your rant!

plenewken
04-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Relax! It's not like he murdered 2 guys outside of an Atlanta nightclub. He'll be fine. At least give the guy a chance to take the field before we put him in the electric chair.

Didn't the Steelers get rid of Santonio Holmes (a Superbowl MVP, no less) after the cops found a reefer in his car?
The Steelers FO cracks me up with its "morals". They're a bunch of hypocrites like the others.

By the way, I'm glad we picked this kid but the Rooneys should stop with their BS morals, that's all I'm saying.

steelbelieve
04-28-2012, 10:16 AM
I am 53 years old and can honestly say I NEVER even tried pot or any other illegal drug. But if you told me my sons were abusers of pot or alcohol I would pray it was pot. All things in moderation lead to healthier lives whether its drugs, drink or even food. If we all discarded every person who has smoked some pot then we would have less than half of our Doctors, Teachers , and thankfully Lawyers and Politicians.

Unfortunately the NFL tests and suspends players who indulge. That fact alone makes this a risky pick, as we can not afford a potential starting member of our line to be suspended a game or multiple games. I hope this is just the mistakes of youth and/or the crowd he hung with. Being around this team could very well be what he needs.

I for one like the passion he already has for wanting and being a Steelers. A life long fan and now a member is something I just cannot imagine. Lets just hope that this young man becomes a productive member of society and in turn becomes a quality addition to this great team. I say give him a chance and keep an open mind.

THIS IS THE POINT! Too many posters in this thread are getting caught up in the morality of smoking pot, and forgetting the real issue here is that the NFL doesn't tolerate its use. We got rid of a pro bowl, Super Bowl hero for just this specific reason a few years ago, and I don't want to see our second round pick suspended with all the subsequent distractions that brings--especially if he becomes an starter on our offensive line!

SH-Rock
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Didn't the Steelers get rid of Santonio Holmes (a Superbowl MVP, no less) after the cops found a reefer in his car?
The Steelers FO cracks me up with its "morals". They're a bunch of hypocrites like the others.

By the way, I'm glad we picked this kid but the Rooneys should stop with their BS morals, that's all I'm saying.

Santonio had prior issues to him being caught by the cops, that was the last straw. This kid came up to the FO and pretty much begged for them to even consider him. If he does smoke pot or do something stupid again, he knows he will be under a lot of scrutiny.

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Holmes had just got suspended for four games after being caught and getting away with having a blunt in his car prior to that. He had a 2nd chance with the Steelers and still failed a drug test and then posted a bevy of comments on the net supporting pot and suggesting a fan kill himself. He also was in the last year of his contract and there was no chance he was getting another deal. If Mike Adams gets caught again he will be gone too.

harts
04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Warren Sapp smoked pot
He turned out ok (football wise)
Steelers know what they are doing

Bluedust
04-28-2012, 11:20 AM

ahahahahahahahahah

I agree with the bolded part but man... hahahahahaha

drizze99
04-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Personally, I love this pick and believe that our FO will help this kid get his acted straight. If he truly loves the Steelers like he says he does, then he'll get his shit straight and not do anything stupid. Of course that is easier said than done, but I absolutely love our first 2 picks in this years draft. It is about time we gave some love to that horrid OL. We got a high first round talent and a low first round talent picking at spot 24 in the draft. Both of these kids will make an impact for the Steelers in their first year.

Buddha Bus
04-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Addict? Funny. You've obviously never smoked pot before. It's not a big deal in and of itself other than the legality. Alcohol is far worse in my opinion.

As far as all the comments regarding us getting rid of Holmes for pot, that was NOT the only reason. I know he had at least 2 incidents regarding it and it may have been the final straw, but he also had some domestic issues and an assault charge as well. Factor in Holmes' rapidly inflating ego and unlikelihood of re-signing with us, the bad started to outweigh the good and I think our FO and coaches tired of his me-first act. Let's not blame his exile on pot alone people.

I agree he didn't exhibit the best judgement by risking his future by smoking weed before the combine. That was a stupid move. I (and everyone here) did stupid things at his age too. It's all about learning and the growing up process. He'll either start to mature or he'll be gone in a couple of years, maybe less. Worth the risk considering his possible reward and value.

Adams will be fine and he's already shown more commitment to the team and maturity in his apology visit to the Steelers than Holmes did in his entire run with us. That has to count for something and it does in my eyes.

dyce23
04-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Addict? Funny. You've bviously never smoked pot before. It's not a big deal in and of itself other than the legality. Alcohol is far worse in my opinion.

As far as all the comments regarding us getting rid of Holmes for pot, that was NOT the only reason. I know he had at least 2 incidents regarding it and it may have been the final straw, but he also had some domestic issues and an assault charge as well. Factor in Holmes' rapidly inflating ego and unlikelihood of re-signing with us, the bad started to outweigh the good and I think our FO and coaches tired of his me-first act. Let's not blame his exile on pot alone people.

I agree he didn't exhibit the best judgement by risking his future by smoking weed before the combine. That was a stupid move. I (and everyone here) did stupid things at his age too. It's all about learning and the growing up process. He'll either start to mature or he'll be gone in a couple of years, maybe less. Worth the risk considering his possible reward and value.

Adams will be fine and he's already shown more commitment to the team and maturity in his apology visit to the Steelers than Holmes did in his entire run with us. That has to count for something and it does in my eyes.

Agreed 1000%!

tanda10506
04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Addict? Funny. You've bviously never smoked pot before. It's not a big deal in and of itself other than the legality. Alcohol is far worse in my opinion.

I agree, I think the problem is, as you mentioned, that he couldn't stop. I'm pretty conservative but one of the things I'm liberal about is marijuana, I don't even consider it AS harsh/problematic as alcohol. But if someone told me I had to stop drinking x or stop eating y so I could get into a great job in my career field then I would stop, regardless of what it is. That's the issue, but as you said, he learned and apparently got his act together enough to get drafted 2nd by us. I'm not to worried about it though, he wants to be a Steeler and the Steelers have a HUGE incentive to make sure it works out. He will start next year if not by midseason and will have his act together. I see him being 12lbs heavier (muscle) by September and will pan out well. Can't wait.

Buddha Bus
04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I agree, I think the problem is, as you mentioned, that he couldn't stop. I'm pretty conservative but one of the things I'm liberal about is marijuana, I don't even consider it AS harsh/problematic as alcohol. But if someone told me I had to stop drinking x or stop eating y so I could get into a great job in my career field then I would stop, regardless of what it is. That's the issue, but as you said, he learned and apparently got his act together enough to get drafted 2nd by us. I'm not to worried about it though, he wants to be a Steeler and the Steelers have a HUGE incentive to make sure it works out. He will start next year if not by midseason and will have his act together. I see him being 12lbs heavier (muscle) by September and will pan out well. Can't wait.

I too agree he should have had enough sense to get his shit clean before the combine considering what was at stake for him. I quit smoking weed as soon as I found out my company was going to begin random drug testing and I don't even have millions of dollars hanging in the balance. :chuckle:

I won't crucify him for being young and stupid just yet for it though. He's already shown some contrition and is trying to make it right. Let's at least give him the chance to make good on his promises. It's not like we have a choice now. He's here like it or not until (if) he screws it up. I'd be more worried if we rewarded him by drafting him with no attempt to apologize at all. I'm sure the Steelers FO wouldn't have pulled the trigger on him (and all reports indicate they had no intentions of doing so) if he hadn't assuaged their fears sufficiently enough to change their minds.

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Top Second Round Values

By Wes Bunting | National Football Post
May 3, 2012

Top second round valuesÖ

St. Louis Rams: CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

From a pure talent perspective, Jenkins in my mind was the draftís second best cover man. He showcased natural foot quickness and balance when asked to change directions and drove on the football as well as any corner in the draft. Now, obviously there are some off the field concerns attached to his name. However, as a football player heís a top-15 caliber prospect and if he can keep himself clean off the field he has a chance to mature into one of the draftís best overall players.

Jenkins is a top-15 caliber talent.

Carolina Panthers: OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State

Silatolu is a bad man. He plays with a fire in the belly, loves to finish and showcases ďplusĒ athleticism when getting out to the second level. There might be a small learning curve as he makes the move from tackle to guard in the NFL. However, because of his ability to fire off the ball, create a snap and finish, he looks like a potentially dominant run blocker inside.

Pittsburgh Steelers: OT Mike Adams, Ohio State

Adams is one of the few prospects in the entire draft with the skill set needed to play left tackle in the NFL. He possesses ďplusĒ size, can slide his feet and stick through contact. His lower body balance and hand placement are inconsistent at this stage. However, heís got the talent to instantly improve the Steelers offensive line and potentially give them a long-term starter at either right or left tackle.

Cincinnati Bengals: DT Devon Still, Penn State

I donít think Still was ever worth a potential top-15 grade. However, when his motor is running the guy has the ability to overwhelm on contact, gain leverage with his hands and shed on contact. Heís a power player as a pass rusher who can push the pocket and displays a little shiftiness when asked to shed. Stillís a guy who should be able to mature into a solid NFL starter inside and gives the Bengals a great value at a key position in round two.

New York Jets: WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech

When looking at a prospects upside, there isnít a receiver in the class with as much of it as Stephen Hill. Hill is a developing route runner who wasnít asked to run the entire route tree at the college level. However, for a guy at his size (6-5) he showcases the ability to get up to speed quickly, track the football and adjust to the throw down the field. Now, obviously there are some inconsistencies to his game. But he has the skill set to contribute as a vertical threat from day one and eventually could mature into one of the NFLís top all around receivers.

Indianapolis Colts: TE Coby Fleener: Stanford

Fleener is a big target who can run down the seam, create separation on vertical routes and set up defenders underneath. He needs to become a better blocker. However, he has the size and growth potential to certainly develop in that area and eventually mature into one of the leagueís top all around tight end threats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-second-round-values-173030810--nfl.html

Curtain_of_Steel
05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Well thankfully, Adams lives in America and not the perfect world that some of you live in, sitting back under your bubble with no cares or pressures in the world. Not to mention legal experts now.

You don't think there are drugs clauses in the players contracts? Are you the visionary that came up with putting that in there? Come on.

You guys and your what if's. Could Adams be remoreseful and sorry and people accept it? He came in, pleaded his case, manned up, obviously he did what the Steelers laid out for him, presumabley that could've been another test as well. Cut the kid some slack. When he pans out, it will be a huge Steel. This kid is not only living his dream of an NFL player, but plays for his "favorite" team in his local market. That stuff, doesn't happen to many players. When was the last time the guy who grew u in the home town local market, and was a big nfl team fan, actually was drafted by his team? Its rare on a good day. this kid knows he messed up and he made up for it imo, or we would not have drafted him.