Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
should we use a 7th round comp pick on him? :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 10:01 PM
:buttkick:

Mistah_Q
04-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes. We have a need at ILB and we have four picks in the seventh rounder. If he's there when we pick our first seventh rounder, you absolutely take a flier on him. If we can get his head straight, it's a grand slam. If we can't... it's a seventh rounder.

steeltheone
04-27-2012, 10:10 PM
Well we took Adams in round 2....I cant see them chancing it twice

ETL
04-27-2012, 11:40 PM
he ran a 5.09 at the 40 in the combine

I say let's pick a punter with that pick or even a long snapper

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Vontaze Burfict does not seem like the kind of guy that would be on the Steelers draft board, but then neither did Mike Adams.

FrancoLambert
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM
After the combine I wanted no part of this head case.
But, if Tomlin could convince him that his dream of playing football for millions may be slipping away......that all he has to do is reasonably control himself and follow the rules......we could possibly have the presence at ILB that is so "Steeler."
Lots of good wishes here but it is a seventh round pick.....and the possible upside?

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I understand what you are saying about the risk/reward relationship but I seriously doubt Burfict is even on the Steelers draft board, personally, I wouldn't even waste a 7th round draft choice on him as there are still a lot of other very good players available.

lipps83
04-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I would, what else are you going to get with a 7th round pick that will probably wind up cut anyway?

The guy is a 1st round talent with apparently the worst composure of all prospects.

He reminds me of that linebacker from a few years ago, Willie Williams. Could have been a star but he was one that just couldn't keep his focus in the right places.

PhantomJB93
04-28-2012, 05:24 PM
To me, he'd be worth the risk. But if Adams was really TOTALLY off our boards before his whole apology/counseling thing, I also seriously doubt Burfict is even a remote possibility. I doubt he's reached out to the Steelers and apologized the way Adams did.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 05:34 PM
there were a lot of DL at the Combine that ran a faster 40 time than Burfict did. if you can't even get yourself into shape for the Combine then it says a real lot about your total lack of commitment.

no thanks.

Vis
04-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Adams was off the draft board and stepped up and met some mysterious conditions. Burfict is off the draft board

steel-EERS
04-28-2012, 09:06 PM
nope, but if he wants to some in as a UDFA and earn his way on the team I would welcome it. the stuff he got by with at ASU would not be accepted in the Burgh, he would be on the street in a heat beat if he tried!

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 09:11 PM
nope, but if he wants to some in as a UDFA and earn his way on the team I would welcome it. the stuff he got by with at ASU would not be accepted in the Burgh, he would be on the street in a heat beat if he tried!

what a shock, Burfict signed with the Bengals.

http://thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/News/News_Stories/BLOTTER_BengalArrest_chadCr.jpg

UltimateBengal
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
what a shock, Burfict signed with the Bengals.

http://thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/News/News_Stories/BLOTTER_BengalArrest_chadCr.jpg

Yeah, I'm not a fan of this pickup. I guess having a great draft allows them to take a flyer on a kid who would be scary if he ever "figures it out". Just not sure that he ever will!:noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this pick. I guess having a great draft allows them to take a flyer on a kid who would be scary if he ever "figures it out". Just not sure that he ever will!:noidea:

Bengals bag Burfict

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 28, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/vontaze-burfict-pic8.jpg?w=148

Vontaze Burfict, the onetime first-round prospect whose disappointing 2011 season was followed by a disastrous Scouting Combine and Pro Day, has found his NFL home in Cincinnati.

The Bengals agreed to terms with Burfict as an undrafted free agent shortly after the 2012 NFL draft ended without Burfict’s name being called. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis had a long talk with Burfict at Arizona State’s Pro Day, and Lewis was believed to be high on Burfict’s potential.

Once considered among the most talented linebackers in college football, Burfict was called for way too many penalties during his final season at Arizona State, and he also had a reputation as a player who was more interested in delivering big hits than in actually following his assignment within the defense. He was also reportedly a disruptive presence in the Arizona State locker room. So there’s a lot not to like about him.

Still, Burfict did make enough plays early in his college career that he once looked like a potential first-round pick. It’s easy to envision him making the roster in Cincinnati.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/28/bengals-bag-burfict/

tony hipchest
10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
:bump:

curious what people think about this guy. there was certainly a decent amount of pre-combine buzz on this board about this guy, before he shit the bed at the combine.

he looked good last night and doesnt appear to need 2-3 years to learn mike zimmers system and crack the line up.

JVip
10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
The kid looked like a player last night, seems like Marv finally did something right.
Hopefully Spence gets healthy and makes the ilb an after thought in the draft for years to come.

Fire Arians
10-22-2012, 12:41 PM
:bump:

curious what people think about this guy. there was certainly a decent amount of pre-combine buzz on this board about this guy, before he shit the bed at the combine.

he looked good last night and doesnt appear to need 2-3 years to learn mike zimmers system and crack the line up.

yeah he did, i was thinking about this thread too as he was making plays. i was like eh, 7th round pick, nothing to lose, we shoulda!

the bengals look like they got a good player for taking that chance. it's a good thing the ravens didnt get him though

PhantomJB93
10-22-2012, 03:39 PM
I get why we didn't go after him with all the character concerns, but if we had spent a late round pick on him even after the combine I wouldn't have been upset, and it looks like it could have paid off.

Hawaii 5-0
10-22-2012, 04:42 PM
even the Bengals' DC was quoted as saying he didn't want Burfict even as an UDFA.

Burfict made lots of tackles last night, but it seems like the Steelers were running right at him and I saw him get blocked rather easily a couple of times.

and that pancake block Willie Colon put on him was a classic, did you see Willie dry humping poor Vontaze when he was on top of him?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c50.0.403.403/p403x403/29349_547697811923137_801243560_n.jpg

Fire Arians
10-22-2012, 04:43 PM
300 lbs vs 260 lbs, he should win that

teegre
10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
even the Bengals' DC was quoted as saying he didn't want Burfict even as an UDFA.

Didn't Marvin Lewis say that Burfict would never play for the Bengals, after Burfict refused to run for Lewis, when Lewis visited ASU...???

I wonder what happened? Did Burfict pull a Mike Adams, and drive to see the Bengals front office???

lloydwoodson
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
300 lbs vs 260 lbs, he should win that

I have watched Troy P get the better of several linemen. Size has nothing to do with it. Burfict might have decent ability. He hasn't even had one offseason to do something ridiculously stupid. Give him time. He will be out of the league in a few years if not sooner.

FrancoLambert
10-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Once he considers himself a "star" the problems may reappear.
Right now he's still an undrafted FA who made the team.
Bottom line, I wish we took a shot with him using one of those 7th round picks.
Who'd we get, only Beachum out of those?????

teegre
10-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Once he considers himself a "star" the problems may reappear.
Right now he's still an undrafted FA who made the team.
Bottom line, I wish we took a shot with him using one of those 7th round picks.
Who'd we get, only Beachum out of those?????

Paulson.

The coaches love him, and from what I've seen, the kid has caught EVERY pass that has been thrown his way.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Marvin Lewis said.... lol

How can his name even be listed in a positive light in a sentence.

Fire Arians
10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I have watched Troy P get the better of several linemen. Size has nothing to do with it. Burfict might have decent ability. He hasn't even had one offseason to do something ridiculously stupid. Give him time. He will be out of the league in a few years if not sooner.

true, but troy is a madman. can't compare a rookie to a once in a generation talent, i thought burfict had a solid game against us

lloydwoodson
10-23-2012, 01:18 AM
true, but troy is a madman. can't compare a rookie to a once in a generation talent, i thought burfict had a solid game against us

I agree he made some good plays. ILBs often are designed to be free to make plays. I don't think Burfict is the physically dominant stud ILB this defense needs that is unblockable. He could have a good career as an Urlacher type if the defense covers up for him- but I expect to see him on some highlight films getting run over.

Rick5895
10-23-2012, 04:42 AM
He had 15 tackles against us, however, I read yesterday that after the game (cant remember if it was Espn.com, SI.com NFl.com, or cbs) that he was joking and screwing around after the loss, in fact a couple of teammates (in that reporters eyes) took exception to it.
Give the kid time, laying in Cincy will likely bring out the "worst" in him.

Bayz101
10-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Can't bring out what's already been brought out. From what I've heard, he's a bad egg. That's why he slipped in the draft as far as he did. He's a trouble-maker, and it's probably why Colon almost killed him. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-23-2012, 05:06 AM
Can't bring out what's already been brought out. From what I've heard, he's a bad egg. That's why he slipped in the draft as far as he did. He's a trouble-maker, and it's probably why Colon almost killed him. :chuckle:

Yea I was really high on this kid but I think in the long run we are better off.

SteelerJay
10-24-2012, 06:57 PM
we took choir boy Paulson instead and he's tearing up the league