PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Steelers 3rd rd pick Shawn Spence LB

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
theres our ILB. weakside considered slow and undersized. pat and gil brandt dont see the fit.

casteeler
04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Not impressed

steelers33
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Another athletic LB welcome to the burgh.

Blackout
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Sean Spence has a lot of potential with the right coaching and we coach the best linebackers. We needed a good linebacker and we get a good flow to the ball wrap up inside guy.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/sean-spence?id=2532952

Sean Spence
Miami ACC
Photo of Sean Spence
Drafted By: Steelers

Round 3
Pick 23
Overall 86

Combine Results
Grade
80.2 ?

4.71 SEC
12 REPS
33.5 INCH
119.0 INCH
7.46 SEC
4.28 SEC

More Draft Video

5'11" Height
31 1/2" Arm Length
231LBS. Weight
9 1/4" Hands

Overview

Spence has been a bright spot and a standout player on a rather uninspired Miami defense. He was a four-year starter at Miami, and although undersized he makes up for this deficiency through speed, instincts and overall athletic ability. He is a great defender on outside runs, as he can effortlessly run down his fastest opponents. He is stellar in coverage, and he can blanket tight ends and tackle from various angles. He makes quick decisions and executes on them. While size will be a concern as he enters the NFL, Spence will be defined by his ability to play free and get off blocks to make plays on the ball. While he was suspended in the fallout from the Nevin Shapiro booster scandal at Miami, there is little doubt of his true character and, likewise, his overall athleticism and ability. Look for him to be taken in the middle rounds, but he could be a late riser.

Analysis
Strengths

Spence's athleticism shows in all that he does. He can quickly diagnose a play and use his explosive hips to meet running backs and deliver the blow. He has fluid hips in coverage and uses his arm strength to shed blockers when he gets engulfed by bigger players. He is an experienced starter at a high level, and this should allow him to play fast and instinctively from the start at the next level. He has natural athletic ability to fit in a 4-3 scheme, in which he can play freely and flow to the ball. He is an active player and almost always involved on run plays.

Weaknesses
Spence is undersized and needs to play free of big blockers on him to be productive. He can flow to plays but "rides the pole" and falls off tackles at times. The scheme he plays in is key to his production.

Mistah_Q
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't get it.

Especially when we were giftwrapped our choice of Chapman or Ta'amu.

Special teams superstar. We'll like him but not at the opportunity cost.

ETL
04-27-2012, 10:42 PM
He may have enough quickness to track down Ray Rice

bornaSteelersfan
04-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Once Carnell Lake sees this guy in practice, he will be groomed to be a safety. I think it's an excellent pick. Our LB's are notoriously slow on coverage and always need help.

Steel95
04-27-2012, 10:43 PM
I do not understand this pick; they still need a NT and Chapman was still sitting there. This guy will wash out, I can see Davis (3rd RD Pick 2008) all over again. Colbert does well with the 1st Overall Picks, he seems to go to sleep on the Middle Picks. WTF!

Blackout
04-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I do not understand this pick; they still need a NT and Chapman was still sitting there. This guy will wash out, I can see Davis (3rd RD Pick 2008) all over again. Colbert does well with the 1st Overall Picks, he seems to go to sleep on the Middle Picks. WTF!

Relax we are getting a NT

kan_t
04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
They must really like his quickness and love his projection. They may also think that they still have the chance to pick one from Chapman/Ta'amu/Thompson. I'm in the wait and see approach.

Blackout
04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
But Pittsburgh takes smaller LBs (Timmons, etc) and makes them into really, really good players. Spence will be a great pickup.

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
he's about the same size as timmons was coming out f college, i don't see that as much of a concern. it just means he won't be starting in his rookie season, which is pretty much automatic for any LB coming into lebeau's system anyway.

ta'amu dropping to us in 4 is a long shot, but I think chapman will be in striking distance. I'd be happy with either.

BKAnthem
04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I think he's going to be converted to strong safety

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Had we not completely screwed the pooch with the pick f Bruce Davis......I might be more inclined to trust them more on this one

kan_t
04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
he's about the same size as timmons was coming out f college, i don't see that as much of a concern. it just means he won't be starting in his rookie season, which is pretty much automatic for any LB coming into lebeau's system anyway.

Agreed. I'm not worry about his size. I'm just surprise about the pick. Think that they will go for a NT there.

Raw Steel
He is not going to safety. Coach Butler said Farrior played at 225-230 the last four seasons. This guy is a football player.

tony hipchest

you can see that this guy will wash out but you cant see that chapman might actually be there in the 4th?

if they wanted chapman they woulda taken him. how do you know they dont like the NT from BYU?

kan_t
04-27-2012, 10:54 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think the pick makes sense (if the Steelers project him to be their future ILB).

ZiggyHeyward
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
I have had my eye on the kid but thought he was a bit small to play the buck. His athletic ability will add to a good special teams unit and he will backup timmons. Sad to see Thompson go a few picks later but I trust Mitchell knows more then we do. Scary to here him talk about Foot though I don't share his confidence.

JCPsteelers
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't get the need for the NT. Hampton is back for another year with McClendon backing him up. Ziggy can always move to the nose too. I don't see the urgency of picking a nose tackle in the 3rd round.

Love the Spence pick. His highlight film is impressive. SPEED. This guy can cover Ray Rice out of the backfield.

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
WTF ??? this guy is clearly a 4-3 olber. ...i hope to hell they plan on moving him to SS.
he has the distinction of doing the least amount of 225 reps of all the lbers....12 (weak bitch)

dyce23
04-27-2012, 11:00 PM
I don't get the need for the NT. Hampton is back for another year with McClendon backing him up. Ziggy can always move to the nose too. I don't see the urgency of picking a nose tackle in the 3rd round.

Love the Spence pick. His highlight film is impressive. SPEED. This guy can cover Ray Rice out of the backfield.

I wish I shared your optimism. This guy may end up being a great pick, and I hope so. However, he runs a 4.7...he's not covering Ray Rice. I don't care how explosive he is on film, he simply doesn't have the speed to cover Rice in man coverage.

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
WTF ??? this guy is clearly a 4-3 olber. ...i hope to hell they plan on moving him to SS.
he has the distinction of doing the least amount of 225 reps of all the lbers....12 (weak bitch)

farrior was a 4-3 OLB in college also. a lot of 4-3 OLB's in college are looked at as potential ILB's in a 3-4.

i like how quick the kid is but yeah 12 reps on the bench is sad for an elite athlete of his size. hell I could do 10 on a good day and I'm only 170 lol.

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Don't we already have this guy already on our Roster.....Named Sylvester

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:06 PM
OH NOEZ! everyone had graded our draft an A+ after day 1.

with the selection of spence theres no way we grade out higher than a B-.

our feelings will all be hurt with disappointment when all the final grades come out.

he's young like timmons was and played for a big program. im sure he will be a work in progress, there were some players i woulda prefered but there are those who woulda preferred alameda, chapman, or massie in the 2nd.

im gonna atleast wait and see how the rest of the draft shakes out.

Steel_Bus_24
04-27-2012, 11:08 PM
If we can still get Chapman, I'll feel a little better

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 11:10 PM
This guy plays the Mack (Timmons' position), not the Buck (Farrior's position). He is a depth pick for now. And given how young Timmons is, probably won't start unless there are injuries. But depth was needed. And apparently they still feel pretty good about the NT prospects, although Brandon Thompson quickly fell off the board soon after they picked. Ta'amu and Chapman are still available. It's not out of the question that they trade up to get one if they really want one of them and fear they'll lose both. Probably wouldn't cost more than a 6th or 7th rounder.

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 11:10 PM
i'd rate this draft an A so far. we had steals in rd. 1-2, and the 3rd pick well, we won't see that one for a while. it can end up being a great pick like timmons was. makes me wonder if the FO is planning to move timmons into farrior's role, cause spence doesn't look to me as a run stuffer type of guy

have to say i'm a little disappointed that we didn't grab taamu, but chapman should be solid and available next round

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Maybe he can turn into a Ray lewis type player?? makes me feel better if I think like that....

ETL
For those who "can't make any sense" of this pick ... here is your answer ...

We took the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

JCPsteelers
I wish I shared your optimism. This guy may end up being a great pick, and I hope so. However, he runs a 4.7...he's not covering Ray Rice. I don't care how explosive he is on film, he simply doesn't have the speed to cover Rice in man coverage.

Watch his film. The guy is instinctive. BTW Hightower ran a 4.68 40.

tony hipchest

thats better than our 2nd round pick mike adams did (11). :noidea:

JCPsteelers
04-27-2012, 11:17 PM
thats better than our 2nd round pick mike adams did (11). :noidea:

espn says he did 19 reps at 225

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM
espn says he did 19 reps at 225

BEAST!

MasterOfPuppets
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM
farrior was a 4-3 OLB in college also. a lot of 4-3 OLB's in college are looked at as potential ILB's in a 3-4.

i like how quick the kid is but yeah 12 reps on the bench is sad for an elite athlete of his size. hell I could do 10 on a good day and I'm only 170 lol.
farrior was a 4-3 olber for the jets. he didn't play inside until he came to the steelers...plus farrior was 6-2 not 5-11 , which aloud him to bulk up to play inside.

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Good thing team facilities have weight rooms, huh?

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:20 PM
farrior was a 4-3 olber for the jets. he didn't play inside until he came to the steelers...plus farrior was 6-2 not 5-11 , which aloud him to bulk up to play inside.farrior was playing at under 220 at points the last 2 years.

anyways foote and timmons are our inside starters. even hightower wasnt gonna staer if he were drafted.... not in lebeaus scheme.

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Steelers take LB in 3rd round

by MARK KABOLY
Published: Friday, April 27, 2012, 10:58PM Last Modified: Apr 27, 2012 11:15PM

The Steelers were in the market to replace inside linebacker James Farrior, and they addressed that need in the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday night by selecting Miami (Fla.) senior linebacker Sean Spence.

“We see him as an inside linebacker,” Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler said. “Sean is a very distinctive, fast kid who is very smart.”

Butler said Spence (5-foot-11, 231 pounds) won’t be expected to contribute much his rookie year other than special teams. Butler said Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote will be the starting inside linebackers.

“You are never going to replace a guy like James Farrior with all the intangibles he brings to the table,” Butler said. “We feel comfortable with what we have.”

The Steelers plan to groom Spence to eventually take over one of the inside spots.

Spence started 39 of his 40 career games at Miami at weak-side outside linebacker and ranks 11th in school history with 318 tackles that included 10.5 sacks.

Spence is the first Hurricane to record 100 tackles in consecutive seasons. He had 111 in 2010 and 106 last year.

Spence, 21, was a Butkus Award semifinalist as the nation’s top linebacker last year.

“This is a perfect organization,” Spence said. “I am a team player, and I am going to contribute anyway I can. It is going to be great playing alongside those guys like Lawrence Timmons.”

Mark Kaboly is a staff writer for
Trib Total Media. He can be reached
at mkaboly@tribweb.com.

Read more: Steelers take LB in 3rd round | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1182368-85/spence-linebacker-inside-butler-steelers-miami-sean-contribute-farrior-james?printerfriendly=true#ixzz1tIleXG00

mesaSteeler
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Ed: Spence Won't Start as a Rookie
Friday, 27 April 2012 22:51
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116141-ed-spence-wont-start-as-a-rookie

The Steelers consider Spence an inside linebacker although he played on the outside at Miami. He is 5-11 ½, 231 pounds. He started 40 games at Miami over four seasons. The Steelers will put him initially behind Lawrence Timmons.

“He’s going to help us on special teams,’’ said linebackers coach Keith Butler. “He’s not going to start at linebacker over Lawrence Timmons, that’s not going to happen.”

Butler said he feels good about the Steelers situation at inside linebacker. Larry Foote will replace veteran James Farrior at the “buck” position with Steven Sylvester backing him up.

“Larry Foote knows this defense in and out. He’s been in this defense10 years so if anybody’s ready it’s Larry Foote.”

Butler said he hopes to keep Timmons on the inside one season after he had to play him a bunch on the outside because of injuries.

“I think he’s one of the better linebackers in the league,’’ Butler said.

ebsteelers
04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Before you guys get your panties in a bunch... should we show the film of super bowl xlv.. and farrior looking likne toast in the middle... and to the person who said colbert falls asleep during the middle part of the draft gilbert, wallace, sanders, brown, might say different

Blackout
04-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Steelers are owning this draft. If we can get Ta'amu or Chapman, I'd be so happy. Get Moye in the 6th or 7th, hell yes.:tt02:

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 11:40 PM
The Steelers consider Spence an inside linebacker although he played on the outside at Miami. He is 5-11 ½, 231 pounds. He started 40 games at Miami over four seasons. The Steelers will put him initially behind Lawrence Timmons.

“He’s going to help us on special teams,’’ said linebackers coach Keith Butler. “He’s not going to start at linebacker over Lawrence Timmons, that’s not going to happen.”

Butler said he feels good about the Steelers situation at inside linebacker. Larry Foote will replace veteran James Farrior at the “buck” position with Steven Sylvester backing him up.

if Lawrence Timmons got hurt, we had no one behind him with a similar skill-set. in today's NFL, you need LBers that can run with RBs out of the backfield and be able to cover TEs.

I think Spence may see some playing time in pass coverage and should be a special-teams star right away. this guy started 4 straight years at The U and had over 100 tackles the last two seasons, this guy can play.

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Sean-Spence-Conference-Call-Transcript/1d48b092-4b22-480b-99e5-4b540ee73be3

maybe he is not a bitch :hunch:

Re: Coming to a team with a pretty good tradition at linebacker:

It’s great to come to an organization that always competes for a championship. Having a chance to play here is just a tremendous feeling.

You were a team captain; do you consider yourself a leader?

I do. I am a guy that is going to work hard, come in and get my one-eleven and give it all for my team. I am a team player. I am going to try to contribute any way I can.

Re: Only doing 12 reps at the combine:

I had a banged up shoulder, coming from the Senior Bowl. I had a deep bruise. I wanted to compete and show scouts I wasn’t scared. Unfortunately, I only pushed out 12 but I can do more.

Does being a lighter inside linebacker hurt your perception around the league?

I am not sure. My perception doesn’t matter around the league. I am just happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am glad they saw something in me to pick me.

How many tackles did you make at Miami, about 500?

[Laughs] I think I had 300 or up around that area. I had 41 tackles for loss, if I am not mistaken.

Re: Playing on special teams your first season:

There’s no doubt I will. When I met with Coach Butler at the combine, he told me that no rookie linebacker came in and started. They had to work their way in on special teams. I am all for it. Anything I can do for the team, I am willing to help, whether that’s coming in and contributing on special teams, I am all for it.

Players from Miami normally go in the first round, right?

We do. They do. But it’s a draft. You never know how it will go. I know guys that are just happy to be drafted so they can reach their dreams.

Re: The Steelers’ linebackers:
It’s going to be great getting to train alongside those guys. I’ve watched them for so many years. I’ve watched Lawrence Timmons play. Just having a chance to be in the same room with those guys and practice with them, and read their mind is going to be great.

tony hipchest
04-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Keith Butler RE 3rd Round Pick Sean Spence

SEAN SPENCE

Outside/Middle Linebacker

3rd Round – 86th Overall

Is Sean Spence and inside or outside linebacker?

He is going to be inside. They (Miami) have played in a 4-3 front, but it’s a different front than ours. We see him as an inside linebacker.

Are the days of Levon Kirkland playing the buck long gone? He seems pretty small?

I wouldn’t say that. This guy is smaller than Levon Kirkland. Sean is a very instinctive, fast, quick kid that is very smart. He is probably best served if we can cover him up. What I mean by that is; if you look at James Farrior, he played the last four or five years at 230 pounds and when you get older like that, it’s best to be playing at 230 pounds as opposed to 235 pounds because he knows the game well enough that he is going to act fast enough and he can use the techniques and knowledge of the game, he doesn’t have to be as heavy. It’s better for him so he can keep his mobility, because that’s more important than anything else. This guy has that mobility.

Is this guy a buck?

I wouldn’t call him a buck, no. The buck linebacker has to be a little bit bigger and take on the guards more. We cover our linebackers up pretty good. What I mean by that is, we let them scrape and run to football a little bit more instead of coming downhill and taking on isos. The day of the iso with the middle linebacker is almost gone. Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is mis-direction and trying to fool you or out-number you one way and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the ability to read from the linebackers now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to do it on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but we’re taking on Ray Rice, we’re not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.

Are you happy with what you have at inside linebacker right now?

Yes. I think we can always get better. You lose a guy like James Farrior, which you’re never going to replace because of all the intangibles he brings to the table, that’s just impossible to replace all of that. We feel good about who we have inside right now and we’ll have to grow and learn as we go.

Where is he in terms of being NFL-ready?
He’s going to help us on special teams. He’s not going to start at “mack” linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isn’t going to happen.

James Farrior used to talk about how complex the “buck” linebacker position is. Who do you have in the pipeline there?
The pipeline is going to be Sly (Sylvester Stevenson). Larry Foote is going to be the starter. Larry Foote knows this defense in and out. He’s been in this defense for 10 years. If anybody knows this defense it’s Larry Foote The guy behind him is Sylvester Stevenson. Sylvester has been with us a couple of years. He’s a very sharp young man, and he’ll be even better. Last year I required him to know a bunch of different positions, and he knew them well enough to put him in there when we needed him. We had some injuries more than once last year, and he was able to play different positions. That will be required of him again this year. For him and all the other linebackers, they have to move around. Lawrence Timmons moved around. He’s played inside and outside. I would prefer to leave Lawrence inside and give him a chance to get some of the recognition. I feel like he’ll play well enough to get the recognition that he deserves, because I feel he’s one of the better linebackers in the league. I feel if we can keep him at one position, inside, then he has a chance to be one of the better linebackers in the league.

Larry Foote is a very capable starter for us, and there won’t be much dropoff by having him in there. Our two outside guys are good players, as you know. Jason Worilds really came on and played well last year for us. The more he played, the better he got. What probably hurt our young guys last year, (Stevenson and Worilds) those two guys didn’t have OTAs. Most of the time young linebackers get better their second year because of the OTAs. The first year, they come in and they go through a complex system. They’re having to think out there, and as a consequence they don’t move very fast. They’re thinking. The next year they come in and it’s night and day for them because of repetition. They go, “Oh, that’s what we did. That makes sense now.” They move much faster. Well, these guys didn’t have the benefit of those OTAs, and we had to get them in training camp and they were like rookies. Instead of having the OTAs and the minicamp again and then the training camp, they just had training camp. We took out two-thirds of that process for them to learn by having the lockout. That hurt them quite a bit in my opinion, and Jason Worilds really came on for us at the end of the year. I’m sure that Sly will do the same thing this year.

Does Sylvester have long-term starting potential?
I need to see more from him. He might think he does, but he has to convince me first.

Do you see Worilds at inside or outside linebacker?
Worilds played outside for us last year and did a great job. Can he play inside? Maybe he can. We’ll see. We might give him a look at that. Right now we need him at outside. Chris Carter has a lot to learn. He was one of those rookies last year that gets the benefit of that second year this year. I have my work cut out for me as a coach.

Did they ask if you wanted Hightower and did you say, ‘No, we’re good’?
No, I didn’t say that. (Laughter) I didn’t say that and whoever said I said that wasn’t exactly telling the truth. I didn’t say that. They didn’t ask me. I was kind of standing on the table a little bit, but they didn’t ask me.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Third-Round-Press-Conference-Transcript/de9c9668-0dff-43cb-bc67-5d69eda3e6cc

bornaSteelersfan
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
I think Spence may see some playing time in pass coverage and should be a special-teams star right away. this guy started 4 straight years at The U and had over 100 tackles the last two seasons, this guy can play.

Sean Spence (not Shawn) was a starter all four years with Miami. He was the only player in Miami Hurricanes history to make 100 or more tackles 2 years in a row! Think about that for a minute.......Some of the best defensive players in the game are from The Hurricanes...Jesse Armstead...Russell Maryland...Warren Sapp...Ed Reed...and even Ray Lewis! I think he will be a beast!

NSMaster56
04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
If we can still get Chapman, I'll feel a little better

Pretty much this, only with DT in place of Chapman. I'm content with whoever the Steelers choose at DT.

Also, the Steelers are good with developing LB's, they needed one and if there is a chance Spence is converted to S he's going to learn from one of the best/most athletic and one of the hardest hitting.

This is a clear 'wait and see' pick.

StainlessStill
04-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm so intrigued by this guy it isn't even funny. We may have found a deep-sleeper here. I like him a lot. I've been watching his film over and over and he's a force to be reckon with. You would of never guessed he would be so short by how he brings the boom down and is constantly in the backfield or around the football. I like his potential.

OX1947
04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Before you guys get your panties in a bunch... should we show the film of super bowl xlv.. and farrior looking likne toast in the middle... and to the person who said colbert falls asleep during the middle part of the draft gilbert, wallace, sanders, brown, might say different

Ah, who the hell said Colbert sleeps in the middle part of the draft? Half our starters are from the middle of the draft.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Sean Spence (not Shawn) was a starter all four years with Miami. He was the only player in Miami Hurricanes history to make 100 or more tackles 2 years in a row! Think about that for a minute.......Some of the best defensive players in the game are from The Hurricanes...Jesse Armstead...Russell Maryland...Warren Sapp...Ed Reed...and even Ray Lewis! I think he will be a beast!

I totally agree, those are not easy things to do! Sean Spence can definitely play, I'm liking the pick more with everything I read about him.

btw, aloha my Kauai brother! which part of the island do you live on?

lipps83
04-28-2012, 12:27 AM

Alex Van Pelt broke all of Dan Marino's records at Pitt. Alex was not a beast.

I don't get what your point is.

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 12:32 AM
It still doesn't make sense. A backup to Timmons? Timmons is going to play the next 8 years or so.

I like his game tape I like his attitude and work ethic. He can gain more weight and get stronger and he can make a living like Farrior ducking and sliding through the blocks to get a lot of tackles. Maybe they plan on Timmons getting bigger and moving over. I hope they don't think Timmons will ever be an OLB.

bornaSteelersfan
04-28-2012, 12:38 AM
lipps83, what is your point other than to detract from mine? Watch Spences footage. He is like a heat-seeking missile to the ball and whoever is carrying it. He is a natural and that cannot be trained. Some of the plays he has made remind me of our own Troy Polamalu (not saying he is in Polamalu's league by any means). Not only that, he knows how to tackle hard and use his leverage. I really see him as a possible freelance kind of player.

Mistah_Q
04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
The only way I really love this pick is if they're going to turn him into a safety. Still don't like the opportunity cost with Ta'amu sitting there.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 12:54 AM
The more I read and think about this pick, the more intriguing it is. It instantly solidifies LB depth with Worilds, Carter, Sylvester, and now Spence. He can be yet another great special teams player. He has playmaker instincts and ability, especially if he's freed up. Yet I believe I'm most intrigued by the idea of his potential long-term to convert to safety, even though this is something that everybody that has anything to do with the team would likely deny as a possibility.

Zcanes
04-28-2012, 12:56 AM
How are you doing guys?

I am not a steelers fan, I am a huge Miami Hurricanes fan, have been for years.

I just wanted to give you guys a few tid bits about your new draft pick Sean Spence.

You guys got yourself a MAJOR steal. He was the best player on the team throughout his 4 years at the U. He flashed immediately, was a star since the beginning of his freshman year. We all knew through the first few games that he was going to be a stud and he definitely was.
Colin McCarthey played alongside Spence at UM. He was drafted last year to the Titans and had a pretty good season and is projected to be their starting ILB this season.
McCarthey was not close to being as good as Spence was. Sean is one of the most instinctive LBers I have seen at the U and I have been watching since the 80's. Guy was always around the ball, great tackler, just a pure play maker. Now you have to understand that during his career he never played with a dominant DT. We just missed on a lot of our DT recruits and have really been struggling at the position for a few seasons now. Had he played with a few good DTs he would have even been better. All of those other big time UM linebackers that have come out in the last 10-15 years always had stud DTs in front of them. Had Sean Spence had that same kind of help I honestly think the kid would have been a complete super star at the college level. He was really good at Miami.

Now to the concerns with some of his measurables.

His 40 time of 4.71 was a complete shock to a lot of us Canes fans. I definitely think he can run better than that and I can assure you that he PLAYS much faster with the pads on than that 40 time.

A bit undersized but the kid is a baller. He had no problem making tackles, had a lot of big hits during his career. The kid is a football player. I remember similar concerns about Jon Beason and Vilma when they came out.

Bench. Put that 12 number out of your heads, he was injured from the senior bowl and still competed in the combine. Any of you guys that lift weights can attest to the fact that a shoulder injury seriously inhibits your ability to bench press.
And even if he only busted out 3-5 more reps with a healthy shoulder it wouldnt matter. Sean is a gamer, just watch his tape and you will see. He'll add plenty of strength in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

You guys are really getting a gem here. This kid is going to be a beast, hes at the same level as a Vilma was coming out of college. Vilma was just on a WAY better Miami team that had some ridiculous talent in front of him at the DT position.

I am a dolphins fan as well but I care way more about the Canes.
With that said I am glad that Sean is going to a team like the Steelers where he will get great coaching and the chance to really blossom in a great system. Much rather he go to a team like the Steelers than my crappy Dolphins lol

anyways hope you guys enjoy the insight, I signed up for this forum just to tell you guys a bit about Spence.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 12:58 AM
It still doesn't make sense. A backup to Timmons? Timmons is going to play the next 8 years or so.

I like his game tape I like his attitude and work ethic. He can gain more weight and get stronger and he can make a living like Farrior ducking and sliding through the blocks to get a lot of tackles. Maybe they plan on Timmons getting bigger and moving over. I hope they don't think Timmons will ever be an OLB.

I think the Steelers view Spence and Timmons as the two potential starting ILBs down the road. in today's NFL you need LBers that can cover RBs and TEs and Timmons and Spence are both good in pass coverage.

lipps83
04-28-2012, 01:00 AM
lipps83, what is your point other than to detract from mine? Watch Spences footage. He is like a heat-seeking missile to the ball and whoever is carrying it. He is a natural and that cannot be trained. Some of the plays he has made remind me of our own Troy Polamalu (not saying he is in Polamalu's league by any means). Not only that, he knows how to tackle hard and use his leverage. I really see him as a possible freelance kind of player.

My point was that breaking records of Hall of Famers in college football is not indicative of success in the NFL. It happens all of the time.

I watched his highlight tapes and he has a nose for the ball and knows how to properly wrap and tackle.

He does not have the size or strength to punish opposing players and I think he will struggle against (and he did in college) bigger players.

We only have one known commodity at NT and he is coming off his 3rd ACL surgery. I feel that a bonafide starter at NT was more of a priority than a backup ILB.

Pardon me.

ebsteelers
04-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Ah, who the hell said Colbert sleeps in the middle part of the draft? Half our starters are from the middle of the draft.

post number 9..

normally i put it in quotes but was on phone..

stupid post.... colbert does a great job basically every round of the draft

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 01:05 AM
There were no bona fide starters at NT in this draft.

Blackout
04-28-2012, 01:24 AM
How are you doing guys?

I just wanted to give you guys a few tid bits about your new draft pick Sean Spence.

You guys got yourself a MAJOR steal. He was the best player on the team throughout his 4 years at the U. He flashed immediately, was a star since the beginning of his freshman year. We all knew through the first few games that he was going to be a stud and he definitely was.
Colin McCarthey played alongside Spence at UM. He was drafted last year to the Titans and had a pretty good season and is projected to be their starting ILB this season.
McCarthey was not close to being as good as Spence was. Sean is one of the most instinctive LBers I have seen at the U and I have been watching since the 80's. Guy was always around the ball, great tackler, just a pure play maker. Now you have to understand that during his career he never played with a dominant DT. We just missed on a lot of our DT recruits and have really been struggling at the position for a few seasons now. Had he played with a few good DTs he would have even been better. All of those other big time UM linebackers that have come out in the last 10-15 years always had stud DTs in front of them. Had Sean Spence had that same kind of help I honestly think the kid would have been a complete super star at the college level. He was really good at Miami.

His 40 time of 4.71 was a complete shock to a lot of us Canes fans. I definitely think he can run better than that and I can assure you that he PLAYS much faster with the pads on than that 40 time.

A bit undersized but the kid is a baller. He had no problem making tackles, had a lot of big hits during his career. The kid is a football player. I remember similar concerns about Jon Beason and Vilma when they came out.

Bench. Put that 12 number out of your heads, he was injured from the senior bowl and still competed in the combine. Any of you guys that lift weights can attest to the fact that a shoulder injury seriously inhibits your ability to bench press.
And even if he only busted out 3-5 more reps with a healthy shoulder it wouldnt matter. Sean is a gamer, just watch his tape and you will see. He'll add plenty of strength in an NFL strength and conditioning program.

You guys are really getting a gem here. This kid is going to be a beast, hes at the same level as a Vilma was coming out of college. Vilma was just on a WAY better Miami team that had some ridiculous talent in front of him at the DT position.

With that said I am glad that Sean is going to a team like the Steelers where he will get great coaching and the chance to really blossom in a great system. Much rather he go to a team like the Steelers than my crappy Dolphins lol

anyways hope you guys enjoy the insight, I signed up for this forum just to tell you guys a bit about Spence.

Welcome!! Thank you so much for the insight!!:tt04:

ricardisimo
04-28-2012, 01:27 AM
This guy plays the Mack (Timmons' position), not the Buck (Farrior's position). He is a depth pick for now. And given how young Timmons is, probably won't start unless there are injuries. But depth was needed. And apparently they still feel pretty good about the NT prospects, although Brandon Thompson quickly fell off the board soon after they picked. Ta'amu and Chapman are still available. It's not out of the question that they trade up to get one if they really want one of them and fear they'll lose both. Probably wouldn't cost more than a 6th or 7th rounder.
Wrong. He was a weakside LB his entire career, which translates to the Buck. He's behind Foote.

And I think it looks pretty clear at this point that the Steelers will not be trading up to grab anyone this year. I could be wrong, but most of that activity takes place in the first three rounds.

Dalarin
04-28-2012, 01:34 AM

Since when does a 40 time measure in-game speed? Compare footage of Hightower to Spence and you tell me who is faster. I like the pick but I really liked his teammate Miller with the pick. I was against picking a runningback early but he is just too good to pass in the 3rd in my opinion. Glad we got some defense though.

bornaSteelersfan
04-28-2012, 01:35 AM
May I simply remind you all of another great linebacker who was considered small for the NFL? Zach Thomas (5'11" and 228 lbs - about the same size as Sean Spence) was a natural. I don't want to hear any more crap about being small. In actuality, this probably will drive him even more.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-28-2012, 01:36 AM
We could trade up tomorrow...

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 01:40 AM
We could trade up tomorrow...

and pick whichever NT we like best that is still available such as Alameda Ta'amu, Josh Chapman or Hebron Fangupo...

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 01:43 AM
And I think it looks pretty clear at this point that the Steelers will not be trading up to grab anyone this year. I could be wrong, but most of that activity takes place in the first three rounds.

we traded up in the 4th round for Daniel Sepulveda, a punter...:banging:

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Wrong. He was a weakside LB his entire career, which translates to the Buck. He's behind Foote.

I'm going by LB coach Keith Butler, not Internet Guy. Thanks. :doh:

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 01:46 AM

yes, Keith Butler stated that Spence will start off backing up Timmons while Sylvester will back up Larry Foote.

Steelerfreak58
04-28-2012, 01:46 AM
I think we have another great STEELER LB ready to be made for the NFL. First 3 picks have been simply awesome so far. I would buy Colbert a dinner if he was here in Cali!:chuckle:

Fire Arians
04-28-2012, 01:54 AM
I don't want to hear any more crap about being small. In actuality, this probably will drive him even more.

that's what she said :chuckle:

fujirama24
04-28-2012, 02:02 AM
I like the pick. Though I am a little bias. I am a U fan. He is a firey guy. Who gets after the ball. Could play inside or out. Can play three downs and cover. We could do alot worse. Can't wait to see us this year loved the first two pick. Hope we get a NT within the next 2 rounds.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Sean Spence Conference Call Transcript

SEAN SPENCE

Linebacker
3rd Round – 86th Overall

Re: Coming to a team with a pretty good tradition at linebacker:
It’s great to come to an organization that always competes for a championship. Having a chance to play here is just a tremendous feeling.

You were a team captain; do you consider yourself a leader?
I do. I am a guy that is going to work hard, come in and get my one-eleven and give it all for my team. I am a team player. I am going to try to contribute any way I can.

Re: Only doing 12 reps at the combine:
I had a banged up shoulder, coming from the Senior Bowl. I had a deep bruise. I wanted to compete and show scouts I wasn’t scared. Unfortunately, I only pushed out 12 but I can do more.

Does being a lighter inside linebacker hurt your perception around the league?
I am not sure. My perception doesn’t matter around the league. I am just happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am glad they saw something in me to pick me.

How many tackles did you make at Miami, about 500?
[Laughs] I think I had 300 or up around that area. I had 41 tackles for loss, if I am not mistaken.

Re: Playing on special teams your first season:
There’s no doubt I will. When I met with Coach Butler at the combine, he told me that no rookie linebacker came in and started. They had to work their way in on special teams. I am all for it. Anything I can do for the team, I am willing to help, whether that’s coming in and contributing on special teams, I am all for it.

Players from Miami normally go in the first round, right?
We do. They do. But it’s a draft. You never know how it will go. I know guys that are just happy to be drafted so they can reach their dreams.

Re: The Steelers’ linebackers:
It’s going to be great getting to train alongside those guys. I’ve watched them for so many years. I’ve watched Lawrence Timmons play. Just having a chance to be in the same room with those guys and practice with them, and read their mind is going to be great.

http://burgh.us/e5d

Zcanes
04-28-2012, 02:28 AM
How are you doing guys?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 02:32 AM
He makes tackles, but is smaller than what I thoughtbe steelers like in a LB. hope he pans out.

OX1947
04-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Derrick Brooks was 6'0 230. He is gonna be a hall of famer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Derrick Brooks was 6'0 230. He is gonna be a hall of famer.

He also played in a 4-3. That's the puzzling bit. I like Spence, but can't see him taking on Vontae
Leach in the hole.

OX1947
04-28-2012, 02:44 AM
He also played in a 4-3. That's the puzzling bit. I like Spence, but can't see him taking on Vontae
Leach in the hole.

Not many can.

TheVet
04-28-2012, 02:58 AM
How are you doing guys?

I can't thank you enough. Seriously, thanks for making the effort. Find a Steeler bar down in Miami and watch him when you can!

I'm already in love with this draft, and now I'm totally jazzed by this pick!!!

PhantomJB93
04-28-2012, 03:22 AM
To the poeple complaining about NT: at this point, it is quite evident the NT's are not a hot commodity. Clearly the Steelers realized they will probably still have a good chance at Ta'amu or Chapman in the 4th and decided it would be better to take a LB.

I think Ta'amu will be gone but Chapman will probably still be there for our 4th pick. Even if he isn't we could take a guy like Nick Jean Baptiste.

Also, I don't get why so many people want to convert him to safety. Just watching him, the dude straight up plays like a great LB. Even if he is "undersized." I'm not worried about him and think he definitely has enough upside for the pick to be justified, he was a leader on the field and did nothing but make plays for four years. Could see him playing a lot in the 2013 season and being full time starter by 2014.

ricardisimo
04-28-2012, 03:48 AM
He's small (not big), and he's fast (not slow). Does he sound like someone who attacks the strongside of the line to blitz through to the QB, or does he sound like the type of player who gets called on to cover slot receivers and tight ends? Butler doesn't actually sound all that hyped about him, nor about Worilds right now.

Fire Arians
04-28-2012, 03:58 AM
i just watched some of the film on this kid. despite being small he does a good job of disengaging from his blockers and is really good at diagnosing plays and is rarely fooled. this guy could be the real deal. sorta does look like a younger and quicker version of farrior.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 04:15 AM
He's small (not big), and he's fast (not slow). Does he sound like someone who attacks the strongside of the line to blitz through to the QB, or does he sound like the type of player who gets called on to cover slot receivers and tight ends? Butler doesn't actually sound all that hyped about him, nor about Worilds right now.

None of this means crap when the person making the actual decision says otherwise. Butler says he's the mack behind Timmons; therefore, he is, for the time being.

Vis
04-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Mayock's take: "One of my favorite football players on tape. He's one of the more instinctive linebackers in this draft. In the 3-4 scheme in Pittsburgh, he's going to have to play outside or that Will linebacker inside. Either way, I don't care, because I really like the way he plays."

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
i just got done watching some highlights of Shawn and he looks like a beast he may be small but he plays big...

NoShootouts
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM
How are you doing guys?

thanks zcanes ...great post ! I agree ... great pick great football player !

ebsteelers
04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
all i know is if you watch farrior getting puked on in super bowl xlv then you should be a fan of this pick

or ray rice blasting down the side line on us...

and lets not forget how important special teams is

steelbelieve
04-28-2012, 10:25 AM

ta'amu dropping to us in 4 is a long shot, but I think chapman will be in striking distance. I'd be happy with either.

Did you guys read in in today's Post-gazette that DeCastro pretty much destroyed Ta'mu in a game last year? No tackles, no statistics, nada. In fact the guy took himself out of the game! Thanks, but that's not what I want in our future nose tackle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/ride-of-a-lifetime-decastros-path-to-steelers-an-odd-one-633436/?p=3

SteelShazam
04-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I like this pick alot...actually i've liked all three picks so far! O-line getting some much needed help and Spence has great potential and enough speed to cover well.

Set-Man
04-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I didn't know who he was but saw all the initial negative response especially with those who wanted a NT. I was expecting a NT also. I looked at the highlights.
I like this pick. I was hoping they would get another steal in the LB kid from Cal who is a total stud. I thought they may trade up to get him.
The thing this guy can do is he can cover tight ends and halfbacks which is very important in our D scheming. I think he can hopefully take over for Foote at some point (maybe 2013).
After looking into him, I like the pick.
All they need now is a NT who can plug the middle. Big body to take on 2 blockers.

kan_t
04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Did you guys read in in today's Post-gazette that DeCastro pretty much destroyed Ta'mu in a game last year? No tackles, no statistics, nada. In fact the guy took himself out of the game! Thanks, but that's not what I want in our future nose tackle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/ride-of-a-lifetime-decastros-path-to-steelers-an-odd-one-633436/?p=3
DeCastro is not only regarded as the best guard coming out of the draft this year. He's probably the highest rated guard coming out of the draft in last decade. No one looks good against him.

Back to Spence, the more I read about him the more I like the pick. He's a classic Steelers pick who is not expected to contribute to the defense straight away. But I expect him to be a special team stud this year then to make a big jump next year.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 01:23 PM
The beauty of drafting Ta'amu is that he'll never have to play against DeCastro in a game again. Stats! Plus, going against DeCastro and Pouncey in practice will only make him better.

Good job to the man all but guaranteeing the Steelers would not trade up in this draft, by the way. Way to stay in the wrong.

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 01:16 AM
How much did Farrior weigh in at last season? I've heard he played at around between 215 to 220....Larry Foote is about the same size as Spence isn't he?...We are getting a "FOOTBALL PLAYER" who can makes plays. Forget the "COMBINE". Turn on the film and watch this kid make tackle after tackle for The University of Miami. Leading tackler for three seasons if I recall. I can't see how he won't be better with a year of weight training and eating right ( Something he didn't do properly at "THE U") that he will step into Farrior or Foote's role before the season is up. Could be wrong...But I think we got a great football player and had one helluva draft!

Steelersfan87
04-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Plus, it's March, not September. And chances are he won't play a down of defense year one. He will thicken out some if that's what the team wants from him.

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Plus, it's March, not September. And chances are he won't play a down of defense year one. He will thicken out some if that's what the team wants from him.

I think there's a chance Spence dresses on game days because he excels on special teams and if he does he may see the field on obvious passing downs because he's very good in pass coverage.

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 02:52 AM
I think there's a chance Spence dresses on game days because he excels on special teams and if he does he may see the field on obvious passing downs because he's very good in pass coverage.

I agree...I don't see him getting beaten like Farrior did. Farrior was a great Steeler and one of my favorites. But we needed some youth for him and Foote. I think this guy plays on passing downs because he can stay with the TE's and backs...

Steelersfan87
04-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Well he's definitely going to dress; he has to earn his keep on special teams. I would imagine that they don't plan for him to play on defense though. If he shows that he warrants it, though, they may find him opportunities like they did with Timmons, Woodley, Worilds, Sylvester, and Carter as rookies, though sometimes (in the case of Carter) it's injuries that create those opportunities. He certainly will dress though; he is the 4th ILB, and they almost always dress 8 LBs, mainly since the backups are usually keep STers.

jtbsteeler
04-29-2012, 04:26 PM
All I see on Spence is "ball sniffing" plays being made. His tape jumps out at you.

tony hipchest
04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
i agree about his tape. i just watched some highlights and its quick to notice what the coaches must love-

he sifts through the blockers, quickly gets to the backfield, doesnt go for kill shots, aims for the waist, wraps up at the hips, tosses the ball carrier like a ragdoll. = form tackles that are fundamentally sound.

like it has been said, his instinct and technique can definitely help make up for any size deficiency.

jtbsteeler
04-29-2012, 04:49 PM
He has heart, and he reminds me of a slightly smaller Kendrell Bell.

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2012, 05:16 PM
All I see on Spence is "ball sniffing" plays being made. His tape jumps out at you.
:pde: ... there's a gay porn joke in here somewhere...

ZiggyHeyward
04-30-2012, 06:06 AM

DG94
04-30-2012, 07:40 AM
When I saw the pick come in for Spence (at about half 3 in the morning over here in the UK!), I was a bit unsure, not having seen him play, and making assumptions based on his low bench press number and 5'11" height. When there were so many Nose Tackles still on the board, it didn't seem to make sense to be drafting this guy. As it turned out, we got the NT in the 4th in Alameda Ta'amu.

Spence reminds me a lot of former Saints ILB Sam Mills, who played during the time of the 'Dome Patrol'. He was overlooked by everyone due to his 5'9" height (excuse the pun), but became a key part of Jim Mora's 3-4 defense in New Orleans, due to his great Football IQ. Spence is athletic but still has the IQ to go along with it.

Sean Spence had 318 tackles at Miami in 4 years, pretty solid for a 4-3 OLB. If he was 3 inches taller, do you think he's have been around in the 3rd? Smaller guys get underestimated, but a shorter stature can be used to the advantage of the player. Every coach from Pop Warner to the NFL will tell you that football is a game of leverage, that the lowest man wins. Most NFL guards are 6'3"+, making Sean the lowest man before he even starts. Time spent with NFL strength and conditioning coaches, as well as some of the best in the business in disengaging from blockers as a linebacker could see Spence tun into a solid starter for the Steelers down the road.

Smaller linebackers are pretty rare, but don't forget that last season's tackle leader was Washington's London Fletcher with 166, a guy who went undrafted due to his (generously listed) 5'10" height. Spence and Fletcher share the ability of being sure tacklers, and with Fletcher leading the NFL in total tackles from 2000-2009 with 1,244 there is a precedent that guys like Spence can succeed in the NFL. Obviously Fletcher plays in a different version of the 3-4 and in a different role, but based on the size comparison this is the best example in the modern NFL.

Obviously he'll have to pay his dues on special teams before getting a shot at a starting gig on defense, but with time I have full confidence in the fact that Spence will develop into a solid linebacker for the Black and Gold. :tt04:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 10:14 AM
i agree about his tape. i just watched some highlights and its quick to notice what the coaches must love-

he sifts through the blockers, quickly gets to the backfield, doesnt go for kill shots, aims for the waist, wraps up at the hips, tosses the ball carrier like a ragdoll. = form tackles that are fundamentally sound.

like it has been said, his instinct and technique can definitely help make up for any size deficiency.

I rewatched the NFL Combine session on LB's yesterday. Spence ran a 4.56 on his first 40 and Mayock was talking about " an instinctive LB, that always finds the football and has good coverage skills".Mayock was comparing Zach Brown as a guy with speed and physicial tools, but Spence, even though he is only 5'11" is more of a guy with a nose for the ball and a good all around football player.

I hope Mayock was right on that one.