ETL
04-27-2012, 10:35 PM
This year:

RT: Colon (Adams - backup)
RG: DeCastro
C: Pouncey
LG: Foster
LT: Gilbert

I see Adams filling in for Colon or Gilbert if they are injured and i estimate a 80% chance that he plays at some point this year because of injury

In the long run:

RT: Gilbert
RG: Colon
LG: DeCastro
LT: Adams

I see Adams as the better long term left tackle prospect than Gilbert. Colon may be perfect as a RG and DeCastro should easily become the LG - even as early as this year. One area of concern in the long run is the long term health of Pouncey. He plays so aggressively, I am afraid he is vulnerable to injury.

Fire Arians
04-27-2012, 10:46 PM
colon was IR'ed 2 years in a row, he's just as much of a concern as pouncey health wise.

if they can all stay healthy though, that line will be a solid one. can't wait for the reports from training camp

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
the Steelers have stated that they view Marcus Gilbert as their LT of the future. if Adams is gonna see the field it will have to be at RT after Colon gets hurt again or plays so well at RT that Willie Colon is moved inside to RG.

for now, it's:

Gilbert - Foster/Legursky - Pouncey - DeCastro - Colon

with Mike Adams and Jonathan Scott the backup OTs.

but I would eventually love to see:

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Adams

ETL
04-27-2012, 11:05 PM
the Steelers have stated that they view Marcus Gilbert as their LT of the future. if Adams is gonna see the field it will have to be at RT after Colon gets hurt again or plays so well at RT that Willie Colon is moved inside to RG.

for now, it's:

Gilbert - Foster/Legursky - Pouncey - DeCastro - Colon

with Mike Adams and Jonathan Scott the backup OTs.

but I would eventually love to see:

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Colon - Adams

I know what the Steelers have said - but they also said in the past that they wanted Pouncey to start as a RG in his rookie season ... he ended up playing center all season.

I think Adams has better feet than Gilbert and he will pan out as the better LT in the long run. Either way, we have two bookend tackles now.

Hawaii 5-0
04-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Either way, we have two bookend tackles now.

I totally agree, the great thing about Adams is that he is capable of playing both LT and RT positions and if anything ever happened to Gilbert then Mike Adams certainly provides us with some much-needed insurance. I don't think any of us want to see Jonathan Scott at LT for an extended period of time again.

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 11:43 PM
If they are true to their claim that it is their desire to put the best 5 players on the field, then Adams might be playing RT by the end of the year, with Colon moving to G. We'll see what happens in training camp though.

JCPsteelers
04-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Scott will be a backup for Colon. Not sure if we see a lot of Adams this year.

Steelersfan87
04-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Scott might get cut now, actually, now that they have both Essex and Adams that can play tackle. Or they might re-sign Starks to replace Scott anyway. They already have a solid 9-man unit:

LT: Marcus Gilbert
LG: Ramon Foster
C. Maurkice Pouncey
RG: David DeCastro
RT: Willie Colon

interior swing man: Doug Legursky
Swiss army knife: Trai Essex
swing tackle: Jonathan Scott
noob: Mike Adams

Fire Arians
04-28-2012, 12:04 AM
i hope scott is cut, he was next to worthless. he lost his job to gilbert last year, how would he do any better than adams? plus hes counting for 2 mil against the cap, overpayed for what he's worth

tanda10506
04-28-2012, 12:08 AM
It's hard to say what will happen, I see Week 1 being: Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey-Foster-Colon. I could easily see Adams moving up and starting at either tackle spot's with Colon being moved to Guard. I think we are pretty decent at tackle now as long as we don't let Starks go this year. Gilbert is young and will eventually be a good starting tackle be it right or left, Colon will play well if uninjured, with Adams and Starks as back ups. Starks might not be ready week 1, but with all of our injuries lately we can not afford to make the mistake of letting him go again (if you don't think it was a mistake re-watch the first 4 games last year). If, and it's a big if, we move Colon to Guard and start Adams and Gilbert as our tackles and one of them gets hurt, that leaves us Johnathan Scott to back them up (if Starks goes). Also, in the situation where Adams doesn't pan out (I think he will, just hypothetical) then we don't have a backup tackle who can block anything. If Adams doesn't pan out that leaves us with our starting tackles and Jonathan Scott....that won't be good. If we keep the depth on the O line that we currently have and/or add depth in later draft rounds we will have a great O line, if we let Starks go we are just an injury away from a mediocre line again, because this line is mediocre AT BEST with Scott playing.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
It's hard to say what will happen, I see Week 1 being: Gilbert-DeCastro-Pouncey-Foster-Colon. I could easily see Adams moving up and starting at either tackle spot's with Colon being moved to Guard. I think we are pretty decent at tackle now as long as we don't let Starks go this year. Gilbert is young and will eventually be a good starting tackle be it right or left, Colon will play well if uninjured, with Adams and Starks as back ups. Starks might not be ready week 1, but with all of our injuries lately we can not afford to make the mistake of letting him go again (if you don't think it was a mistake re-watch the first 4 games last year). If, and it's a big if, we move Colon to Guard and start Adams and Gilbert as our tackles and one of them gets hurt, that leaves us Johnathan Scott to back them up (if Starks goes). Also, in the situation where Adams doesn't pan out (I think he will, just hypothetical) then we don't have a backup tackle who can block anything. If Adams doesn't pan out that leaves us with our starting tackles and Jonathan Scott....that won't be good. If we keep the depth on the O line that we currently have and/or add depth in later draft rounds we will have a great O line, if we let Starks go we are just an injury away from a mediocre line again, because this line is mediocre AT BEST with Scott playing.

Max Starks is currently an UFA and not listed on the Steelers roster and now with the selection of Mike Adams it is highly unlikely that we will try to re-sign him.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Starks can't go; he's already gone. Not on the roster.

Edit: What he said. But, there's a chance that they do sign him and cut Scott. That would be ideal, really.

tanda10506
04-28-2012, 12:37 AM
They need to keep him, we can't have only one backup tackle (Scott is not a backup tackle he is an open door).

Steelerfreak58
04-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Cut Scott sign Starks for vet minimum.

LT Gilbert, LG DeCastro, C Pouncey, RG Colon, RT Adams

That my friends is a ticket to the SB if we can't win with that line (if it stays healthy) we don't deserve to wave a towel.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Adams needs a weight room. He will red shirt unless somebody gets injured. Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon start week 1

Fire Arians
04-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Adams needs a weight room. He will red shirt unless somebody gets injured. Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon start week 1

yup. just with adding decastro is a definite upgrade from last year's line. especially if colon can stay healthy

TheVet
04-28-2012, 02:30 AM
It's hard for me to believe that Adams won't be a big contributor given what I've seen over the past five years.

PhantomJB93
04-28-2012, 02:44 AM
I see the opening game line being Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon. But by mid-season, Adams will have taken over a starting spot, either through injury or just the realization that his talent is being wasted. I doubt we'll get to see Colon at guard at any point.

Fire Arians
04-28-2012, 03:02 AM
I see the opening game line being Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon. But by mid-season, Adams will have taken over a starting spot, either through injury or just the realization that his talent is being wasted. I doubt we'll get to see Colon at guard at any point.

there's always a chance he could win the starting job in training camp. pouncey did it, I don't see why adams couldn't. i just wouldn't bet on him playing until 2nd year or if colon gets injured (again). but i don't mind, it was a solid pick regardless that will benefit us for many years

Dalarin
04-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Even though Foster has more NFL experience I still see DeCastro as an improvement at left guard which is more important in our offense. Although with DeCastro at RG the 2 hole should rightfully become our favorite lane to run through again. Im happier than a fly in sh** the way the draft has turned out so far

ETL
05-16-2012, 06:53 PM
This year:

RT: Colon (Adams - backup)
RG: DeCastro
LG: Foster
LT: Gilbert

I see Adams filling in for Colon or Gilbert if they are injured and i estimate a 80% chance that he plays at some point this year because of injury

In the long run:

RT: Gilbert
RG: Colon
LG: DeCastro
LT: Adams

I see Adams as the better long term left tackle prospect than Gilbert. Colon may be perfect as a RG and DeCastro should easily become the LG - even as early as this year. One area of concern in the long run is the long term health of Pouncey. He plays so aggressively, I am afraid he is vulnerable to injury.

Bump. Just patting myself on the back for predicting very early that Adams will be the long term LT. I just got the guards wrong as it looks as if DeCastro will stay on the right and Colon will move to the left.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Bump. Just patting myself on the back for predicting very early that Adams will be the long term LT. I just got the guards wrong as it looks as if DeCastro will stay on the right and Colon will move to the left.

I'll pat you on the back when it happens. At this point I think the plan will be to goto camp with Gilbert at LT and the RT battle will be between Scott and Adams.

So many here forget that Kugler is the guy that brought Scott to Pittsburgh. I would not count out Kuglers guy so fast.

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Reading Between The Steelers Lines Post Willie Colon Move To Left Guard

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The long awaited move, at least by me, of Willie Colon to left guard is now complete. While it is never good to speak in absolutes, I can almost guarantee you that the interior of the offensive line left to right will now be Colon, Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro baring any injuries. I know Mike Tomlin will likely say that DeCastro hasn't been given anything yet, but let's be honest, DeCastro is NFL ready right now and is your week one starter at right guard, the position he played at Stanford. (Man it still feels good typing that out.)

With the interior of the line now set, there goes the absolutes; the question now becomes the tackle spots. Marcus Gilbert was told before heading into the offseason that he should prepare to play left tackle in 2012, but this was way before Mike Adams was drafted. There are probably just four realistic options now based on a few scenarios that include Max Starks returning or Jonathan Scott staying. Let's have a look at each.

LT LG C RG RT
Mike Adams Willie Colon Maurkice Pouncey David DeCastro Marcus Gilbert

The first option which many are pointing to already has Adams playing left tackle and Gilbert staying put at right tackle, where he is best suited and likely will end up long term assuming Adams works out and keeps his nose clean. The down side to this would be having a rookie left tackle next to a former right tackle who is switching sides. Adams has all of the tools, as I have pointed out several times since he was drafted, but he has to get them all together and organized now in his tool box. Will he be able to accomplish that by week one? This scenario also puts two rookies starting on the offensive line as well on the road in Denver. This group better get a lot of work in the preseason.

LT LG C RG RT
Max Starks Willie Colon Maurkice Pouncey David DeCastro Marcus Gilbert

The next option is based on Starks returning after he is recovered from his knee surgery by the start of the preseason. They should know where Adams is at in his progress by the start of camp and that figures to be the time Starks should be ready to try to get cleared for action again. Starks could then start the season at his most natural position and Adams can continue his development until he is ready to take over at left tackle. The experience of Starks would also give Colon some experience to his left as he settles in at left guard. Gilbert of course would then be able to stay at right tackle. Starks would become the swing tackle once Adams is ready to assume the left tackle spot. Depending on how well Starks plays, that might not be needed for a little while.

LT LG C RG RT
Marcus Gilbert Willie Colon Maurkice Pouncey David DeCastro Mike Adams

The next option has Gilbert and Adams flipped. Adams played left tackle his entire time at Ohio State and if you think he can learn the right side and make that adjustment, why couldn't he just be ready to play left tackle instead. Either he has the skills and is ready by week one to play the left side or he doesn't. In addition, Gilbert would have to spend most of camp acclimating himself to the left side. This lineup would go against everything the Steelers normally do as you would have three players playing new positions and it would also mean that two rookies would be playing side by side on the right side. I would use the Chewbacca defense to combat this as a likely scenario, "This does not make sense!"

LT LG C RG RT
Marcus Gilbert Willie Colon Maurkice Pouncey David DeCastro Jonathan Scott

We start to go way off the suggested course with this next scenario that has Scott playing right tackle and Gilbert playing left. This assumes Starks is not brought back, Scott and his salary are kept and Adams is not ready by week one. We all know that Scott can't play left tackle, but he did have some acceptable snaps at right tackle last year. Playing Scott as a starter is like finding a bag full of three year old fireworks. You light each one off hoping that it just doesn't blow up in your face. For every one that doesn't, you bless yourself with the sign of the cross and then continue on to lighting the next one. This scenario is what I would call right tackle Russian roulette. The only upside is that DeCastro might be able to help him cheat the edge a little more than he normally would be able to do with Ramon Foster to his left. BANG!!!!

Those are your four options for the Steelers offensive line at this point and I really only see the first two as the only realistic of the four right now after the Colon move. Adams development and Starks health will ultimately decide which option the Steelers will use. I really have been leaning to Starks hopefully being healthy by week one as Adams really has a lot of progress to make in my opinion to be ready to play against Denver.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/reading-between-the-steelers-lines-post-willie-colon-move-to-left-guard/

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Report: Steelers' Colon confirms move to left guard

May 16, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It appears the Steelers won't wait long for their top two draft picks to work their way into the starting lineup because they've already moved Willie Colon from starting right tackle to starting left guard.

"I've made the transition to left guard," Colon told Mike Prisuta in an interview that will appear on Steelers.com Live@4 this afternoon. "I like it. It's just a matter of learning the verbiage."

The move from his spot at right tackle, paves the way for their top two draft choices to start immediately. David DeCastro will be put at right guard and Mike Adams at left tackle. Marcus Gilbert, who started at right tackle last year as a rookie after Colon was injured in the opener, was scheduled to move to left tackle but likely will stay at right tackle now.

Colon told Prisuta the coaches called him right after the draft to tell him about the switch.

"My only issue would have been 'don't move me midway through camp.'"

The Steelers long have used their left guard to pull and DeCastro is known as an excellent pulling guard. However, he has played his entire career on the right side and it looks as though the Steelers will keep him there.

"You should expect both of us pulling," Colon said in the interview. "I think we're going to be a lot more balanced."

Colon long has been rumored to be a good candidate to play guard even though he became the Steelers starting right tackle in 2007. He started at right tackle for three years but missed the entire 2010 season after his achilles ruptured in June and then missed the rest of the season after his triceps was torn in the 2011 opener.

The Steelers drafted DeCastro on the first round and Adams on the second last month.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/report-steelers-colon-confirms-move-to-right-guard-636150/

Hawaii 5-0
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Ed: Gilbert Still Could Move to LT

WEDNESDAY, 16 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

It’s been talked about and balked about for years, and now Willie Colon will move from tackle to guard.

Bruce Arians resisted such a move when he was offensive coordinator and it didn’t take long for the switch to be made once he left. Colon told Mike Prisuta for Steelers.com that the coaches called him right after they drafted tackle Mike Adams on the second round.

The Steelers have a few choices now. They can keep Marcus Gilbert at right tackle and start Adams at left tackle. They can flip-flop them. They can throw Jonathan Scott in there until Adams is ready, on whatever side.

Gilbert was ticketed to move to the left side before the draft. If they think Adams is more suited as a left tackle, then there is no reason to move Gilbert at all. Why move him to the left if you’re going to move him back to the right in 2013?

However, the knock on Adams is that he’s a better run blocker than a left tackle protector, so the move may be to put Adams on the right side and go ahead with the move of Gilbert to the left. Mike Tomlin said that is Gilbert’s best side anyway.

Either way, top pick David DeCastro almost surely will start from the get-go at right guard, where he played at Stanford.

Sean Kugler, their line coach, said during the draft that he prefers not to move people around, that he’d like to settle on a starting five and stay with it, barring injuries.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116394-ed-gilbert-still-could-move-to-lt