PDA

View Full Version : Not to burst your bubble, but ...

ETL
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I am very happy about how things have unfolded in this years draft. I am ecstatic. Why? Because a player like DeCastro was not supposed to be available to us - but he was and we "snagged" him. Because a player like Adams was supposed to cost us a 1st round pick but he didn't - we got him with a 2nd round pick. Because a player like Ta'amu was supposed to cost us a 3rd round pick but he didn't - we got him in the 4th round. So that's why I'm happy and reading other people's posts - I think my sentiments are fairly universal...

BUT...

I recall feeling this way in 2008. We got Mendenhall when he shouldn't have even been available (could have had Chris Johnson or Ray Rice). We got Sweed with a 2nd round pick when it should have cost us a first rounder and we got studs in Bruce Davis, OLB from UCLA, Tony Hills - a big tackle from Texas and Dennis Dixon, a guy who people talked about winning the Heisman if not for injury.

I realize that a significant factor for how happy I am about a draft is based on what expectations OTHERS (media, mock drafts, etc..) have set for me. It was these outsiders who told me that DeCastro should be drafted high and Adams is a first round talent. It was others who told me that Ta'amu should have been gone sooner.
Who knows... maybe there are legitimate reasons DeCastro and Adams dropped and Ta'amu was still available in the 4th.

I'm no college football expert and so I need to rely on these OTHER experts to learn about things but maybe the true test of things is what we see playing out right now - the actual draft.

The truths is that DeCastro is a late first round talent. The truth is that Adams is a late 2nd rounder and that Ta'amu is a mid 4th round talent. And who knows. Maybe the only HOFer in this class is Spence - who I know little about and feel somewhat disappointed that he didn't exceed the so-called experts' expectations.

So part of me should come back to earth and realize that we added talent to our team just like every other team did - maybe even to a lesser degree because we picked late in each round.

However despite my depressing sense of realism, deep inside, I feel that Colbert and his crew know what they are generally (i repeat, generally) doing and will trust that our team will have a chance to compete year-in-year out.

Still, its just too much fun to not enjoy this year's draft. Let's get another stud WR ... Streeter - he should have gone 10 rounds earlier ... and add that safety from Carolina - he was graded a 3rd round talent .. and throw in decent kicker in there too while we're at it ..

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Let's get another stud WR ... Streeter - he should have gone 10 rounds earlier ...

not to burst your bubble but the Ravens just took Streeter in the 6th round...

ETL
04-28-2012, 05:01 PM
not to burst your bubble but the Ravens just took Streeter in the 6th round...

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have written his name in my post.

pete74
04-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I love the post but don't agree we got the players were we should of. Yahoo has Sevastopol as the 3rd ranked player overall. Higher then any T. Adams was ranked as the 2nd T and TA'amu is ranked as the 3rd higest DT. And the top NT. I think we will end up with at least 3 starters from this draft.

ricardisimo
04-28-2012, 05:30 PM
I love the post but don't agree we got the players were we should of. Yahoo has Sevastopol as the 3rd ranked player overall. Higher then any T. Adams was ranked as the 2nd T and TA'amu is ranked as the 3rd higest DT. And the top NT. I think we will end up with at least 3 starters from this draft.
And three starters in a single draft is simply awesome.

tucker6
04-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Decastro is not a late 1st round talent. He was projected almost universally as a top 15-20 guy. Mel kiper had him in his top 10 best. We got him at 24 and I'm pleased. Is it the steal of a lifetime? No. Who cares though. We got a stud.

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 05:48 PM
We got really lucky this year that an emphasis was put on pass rushers and skill positions early. Mike Pouncey went in the early teens last year, if Decastro was there last year?

How about years where there is a emphasis on O-Tackles? Mike Adams is really like the 2nd or 3rd best Left Tackle in this year's draft. All behind him are questionable on the left, better suited at RT or will be moved to Guard.

If there were more teams needing a NT Ta'amu wouldn't have lasted nearly as long. San Diego took their chances letting him go that long and they lost when we traded ahead of them.

Rainey was projected 4th round and Spence right where he was projected.

JustinJDW
04-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I understand your concern, but anyone that actually knows College Football will tell you that David Decastro is by far the best Guard in this draft, and one of the best Guard prospects in years. Why would they tell you that? Because its the truth. Decastro is a Top 10-15 talent. Mike Adams is a 1st Round talent as well.

Steelers got mad lucky this draft.

steelerchad
04-28-2012, 05:59 PM
The Steelers drafted BPA as always. They just got lucky that the BPA was also a need pick as well. Great job on paper, but like Lee Flowers said "paper champions". Let's see how they play in camp.
Can't say I'm not excited though. I can see some power football coming back.

Bayz101
04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
LOL. Not to burst your bubble, but.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I understand your concern, but anyone that actually knows College Football will tell you that David Decastro is by far the best Guard in this draft, and one of the best Guard prospects in years. Why would they tell you that? Because its the truth. Decastro is a Top 10-15 talent. Mike Adams is a 1st Round talent as well.

Steelers got mad lucky this draft.

:iagree:

good first post...

Blackout
04-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Spence is really great too.

tony hipchest
04-28-2012, 06:19 PM
i see no need to try and temper everyones enthusiasm. its a draft, not a career, and so far it has been a good one. not too many head scratchers and the fans and analysts seem happy.

its a good think. if all the new players are gonna bust out like in 2008 then so be it, but until then party on! :jammin:

:party:

dyce23
04-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Anyone worried just a little that with Tomlin's input as compared to Cowher's in our draft picks, we might have fallen off a little in our consistency? I'm not sure we've had enough time to truly grade Tomlin, but a lot of his picks either washed out or still have huge question marks next to them. Ziggy, Timmons, Woodley, Wallace, and Brown have all been nice, but two of those were first rounders, and two were receivers (we have a history of drafting good WRs). Woodley is the only second rounder we've had work out in a while, and minus Wallace, the same can be said for the third round (although, I hope Sanders has an injury free season bc I think he's for real). I remember being hype for that '08 draft just like the OP, and now that I think about it, I feel a little less secure. Hopefully we just repeated the '74 draft, though, and I can shut my mouth!

FrancoLambert
04-28-2012, 06:44 PM
You're not bursting my bubble. We were able to fill needs with talent that seems legitimate.
DeCastro was a consensus no-brainer. We lucked out when he dropped to us, and it wasn't due to a hidden weakness that other teams knew about. As for Adams, aside from the weed issue, the experts label him a top prospect at tackle. I'm thinking Haley evaluated last year's tapes and made it clear the O-line had to be a top priority. Ta'mu seems to be recognized by the experts as a bonafide 3-4 NT, Casey's replacement. Rainey looks like a dangerous, versatile weapon with speed to burn.
Hopefully, more good news to come.
:tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03: :drink:

pancake
04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
LOL. Not to burst your bubble, but.

I use to say this too my ex girlfriend... :chuckle:

Bayz101
04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Anyone worried just a little that with Tomlin's input as compared to Cowher's in our draft picks, we might have fallen off a little in our consistency? I'm not sure we've had enough time to truly grade Tomlin, but a lot of his picks either washed out or still have huge question marks next to them. Ziggy, Timmons, Woodley, Wallace, and Brown have all been nice, but two of those were first rounders, and two were receivers (we have a history of drafting good WRs). Woodley is the only second rounder we've had work out in a while, and minus Wallace, the same can be said for the third round (although, I hope Sanders has an injury free season bc I think he's for real). I remember being hype for that '08 draft just like the OP, and now that I think about it, I feel a little less secure. Hopefully we just repeated the '74 draft, though, and I can shut my mouth!

Well, considering Wallace and Woodley both arguably propel their respective side of the ball to a whole new level every time they step onto the field healthy, i'd say it's all good. Can't win them all :hunch:

Bayz101
04-28-2012, 07:36 PM

:applaudit:

MACH1
04-28-2012, 07:50 PM

The key word here is ex. :smile:

JCPsteelers
04-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I hated the 2008 draft after we drafted those guys so no this doesn't feel the same at all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Arguably we got the best OG in the draft, the best NT and a top LT prospect. Add in the TE they liked and maybe Spence starts in a couple years. Solid draft.

dyce23
04-28-2012, 08:06 PM
I honestly don't remember anyone NOT liking the 2008 draft, and that's what scares me with this one. I know someone said they weren't thrilled with the 08 draft, but like I said, I don't remember people saying anything bad at the time. Anyway, on paper, I absolutely LOVE this draft, and I hope every single one of our picks hits the way it looks like they will. If so, we may have another '74 on our hands. I'm just gonna wait to see em on the field before I say definitively what I think, but on paper, we had a BEAUTIFUL draft!

ETL
04-28-2012, 08:59 PM
When Goodell said "DeCastro" - I screamed "YES!" at the TV (and peed in my pants). So viscerally, I was excited.

The last time I did that was when Plexico Burress' name was called.

Mistah_Q
04-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I was "meh" on the Mendenhall pick.

I admit I was pretty excited about Sweed.

I HATED Bruce Davis. I called it Alonzo 2. I was MAD when we picked him.

I was not confident in Tony Hills...

And I saw Dixon as a project to develop a backup QB and slash-type role. To be honest I was meh about the pick but I'm also surprised that he's no longer with us - thought he'd turn out better.

So no, this doesn't feel the same at all.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Let's actually take a look back at Tomlin's 2nd and 3rd round picks and try to look at them objectively, shall we?

Tomlin's second round picks:

2007: LaMarr Woodley - I think it's obvious that nothing needs to be said here.
2008: Limas Sweed - We all know the story with this one. A head case that with a conspiracy of injuries and Wallaces washed out of Pittsburgh and has yet to land on his feet. Was worth it at the time.
2009: Traded back. This turned into Kraig Urbik, who, while not for us, is now a reliable starter, and Mike Wallace, of whom nothing need be said either.
2010: Jason Worilds - Already a quality special teams player and, despite injuries, flashed lots of potential late last season. Cemented behind Pro Bowl starters.
2011: Marcus Gilbert - Starting right tackle last year. Starting left tackle this year.

Tomlin's third round picks:

2007: Matt Spaeth - Was an accomplished receiving TE in college, but only sporadically showed it in the pros. Blocking improved as career went on. Was allowed to walk.
2008: Bruce Davis - Basically never did anything. Was replaced with superior talent in later drafts. No big deal.
2009: Trifecta: Kraig Urbik - Didn't work out with the Steelers because they didn't give him enough time. He could be starting opposite DeCastro otherwise this year.
Mike Wallace - Pro Bowl wide receiver. Period.
Keenan Lewis - A bit of a late bloomer, but likely will start this year after earning it on the outside last year in nickel packages. League-best in YAC last year.
2010: Emmanuel Sanders - A quality, intelligent receiver with speed that has dealt with some injuries early on. Will be a great asset when healthy.
2011: Curtis Brown: - Already a special teams ace last year. Coaches rave about him and is expected to contribute at least in dime on defense this year.

tony hipchest
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
im not gonna research just to refresh my memory, but i think for the most part, i ended up pretty disgusted with the majority of cowhers 2nd round picks (colclough, a. jackson, b. mcfadden come to mind). im willing to give tomlin the same pass on any 2nd round gaffes.

ETL
04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok ok ok ... call me Chicken Little but when I thought we had "steals" (Kris Farris, Danny Farmer, Fred Gibson) they ended up as busts.

Although from what I'm now hearing, Rainey may be the best "steal" for us.

tony hipchest
04-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Ok ok ok ... call me Chicken Little but when I thought we had "steals" (Kris Farris, Danny Farmer, Fred Gibson) they ended up as busts.

Although from what I'm now hearing, Rainey may be the best "steal" for us.

will blackwell, willie reid, dallas baker, yadda yadda yadda. it happens to every team just about every year. its a numbers game and simply put, all the numbers drafted just cant make it.

if you take a close look at all the players drafted in the 1st round of 2008, atleast half of them are either proven to be busts or not worth half the money they signed for or the high pick used on them. its the nature of the beast.

rainey is an interesting prospect. i wont call him darren sproles or d. mccluster yet but maybe a slightly more productive stefan logan. dude says he is faster than mike wallace.

kan_t
04-29-2012, 02:43 AM
I think everyone knows that they may turn out to be busts. But we should still be excited about the draft at this point. To evaluate a draft, sure the ultimate goal is to produce good players. But at this early stage, all we can evaluate is if teams take the best player available AND address their needs. I think the Steelers did an excellent job there.

Rick5895
04-29-2012, 07:26 AM
I think this draft was very good. The 1st three picks , IMO, are no brainers and are going to be solid players and DeCastro will be all pro. Ta'amu is a steal in the 4th. Most mocks I saw had him going to us in round 2. Rainey will be a nice change of pace, but to me the real steals of this draft could be Paulson and Clemons. If (I know it's a big if) Paulson shows anything at camp we can say goodbye to DJ. He is a TE/H-Back blend who can block and has decent hands. With Heath and Pope we have the luxury of giving this id a reasonable shot. Clemons is big , fast and I am surprised he lasted this long. I can see him being a productive player for us.
Of course this is only April and time will tell, but this appears to be a very good start.

Mistah_Q
04-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Paulson is not ready to play in this league... I'll be very surprised if he sniffs a roster spot. Miller and Pope are our TEs, and we'll have Johnson, Lyons, Saunders, and McCoy, and now Paulson, fighting it out for one or maybe two spots. Paulson needs to hit the weights and spend a year or two on the practice squad, and if he does develop well, he's going to be more like a poor man's Mark Bruener than a Heath Miller -- physically he's very similar to Bruener. But he's probably never going to be as good -- he may pan out into a career backup who can do some nice things for us.

But I'm not going to whine about a seventh rounder because I love the rest of the draft, and I like this focus on guys with football smarts. Just have to be realistic here about a seventh round TE.

Kingmagyar
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Compared to David Johnson I would take Paulson based on his pass catching ability. A key drop by Johnson last year cost us the AFC North.

David Paulson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA

FrancoLambert
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Compared to David Johnson I would take Paulson based on his pass catching ability. A key drop by Johnson last year cost us the AFC North.

David Paulson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA

SOLD!!!!!
I'll buy anything that will get Johnson off our roster.
The phrases, "Key Drop" and "Key Whiff on a Block", are a big part of his living and breathing resume found on game tapes.