PDA

View Full Version : 7th Round Picks: Toney Clemons, David Paulson

Blackout
04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the Steelers.:hatsoff:

ricardisimo
04-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Overview

Clemons was a reliable starter after transferring from Michigan. He is a huge and athletic receiver in the mold of Anquan Boldin. He has the same body type and strong base, and can go across the middle, using his core strength to break arm tackles and get upfield. Clemons has some value as a returner but would be merely serviceable in that role as a pro. Clemons has sixth-round value based on his potential to become a solid NFL pass-catcher.
Analysis

Strengths

Clemons is polished as a runner, able to get into a cornerback's cushion off the line. He can break tackles after the catch and is productive at running drive routes across the field. He can catch a quick slant, break a tackle on a smaller corner, then look to run over a safety. He has the speed to be a deceptive deep threat and knows how to work underneath and sit down against zone coverage. Weaknesses

Clemons has had issues dropping the ball. He is confident, but struggles to catch the ball with his hands and bring it into his frame. He is a physical blocker but can be too aggressive and a liability there at times.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 06:27 PM
nice pick, this draft just keeps on getting better!

Toney Clemons is a real sleeper, he was one of the guys we brought in for a visit.

Blackout
04-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Clemons was raised in a suburb of Pittsburgh, and as a prospect with local ties, he doesn't count against the Steelers' allotted number of pre-draft visits. In 2011, Clemons was the Buffaloes' leading receiver, catching 43 balls for 680 yards and eight touchdowns. Between both Colorado and the Michigan Wolverines (where he spent the first two season of his college career), Clemons amassed 98 catches for 1,268 yards and 11 touchdowns
http://denver.sbnation.com/colorado-buffaloes/2012/4/18/2957613/2012-nfl-draft-toney-clemons-colorado-steelers

I wonder if they picked him because he was raised in Pitt.

desertsteel
04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
http://denver.sbnation.com/colorado-buffaloes/2012/4/18/2957613/2012-nfl-draft-toney-clemons-colorado-steelers

notsureifserious.jpg

Blackout
04-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah I was joking lol. No this guy will be good.

Dare I say a better pickup than Streeter? To me Streeter had alot of issues, I'm glad we didn't get him.

steveironcity
04-28-2012, 06:33 PM

CBS sports says hes from New Kensington

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272558

tony hipchest
04-28-2012, 06:36 PM
im pretty sure i read his name in several of the mock drafts and threads here. props to those guys who wanted him.

the kid has a good name. welcome to the steelers, toney! :tt02:

R2sojr
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Toney graduated from my high school of Valley in new ken. awesome pick up in my opinion and should be a solid pick.

dyce23
04-28-2012, 06:46 PM
I think they're looking for a tall speedster to stretch the field once Wallace is gone. They may very well have found him. Sanders and Brown can work the underneath (also deep, but they're not as tall as Wallace or Clemons), and this kid can work deep. I don't see him as a number 1 or 2, but all we really needed is what he provides - someone who can stretch the field when Wallace is gone.

Blackout
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Well hello Paulson

GMU Steeler
04-28-2012, 06:50 PM
I want to say we had Paulson in for a visit.

ricardisimo
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Overview

Paulson has been a reliable pass-catching tight end for Oregon. He struggles to get open, but he makes plays when the ball is thrown. He has been a consistent and durable starter who has always been capable of keeping the chains moving within the offense. He can make the spectacular catch and has sixth-round talent.

Analysis

Strengths

Paulson is athletic, although he doesn't look the part. He is quick to get into his route and understands to how to play to his strengths. He knows how to lean on linebackers or throw a last-second jab at them to get space. He is decent as a blocker to wall off his defender, something he was asked to do a lot in Oregon's offense.

Weaknesses

Paulson will find it difficult to get open at the next level going up against more athletic linebackers. He is a slow mover who struggles to change direction quickly, which could be dangerous as it will allow linebackers and safeties to recover or undercut his routes.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Well hello Paulson

and hopefully goodbye D.J. Johnson...

StainlessStill
04-28-2012, 06:55 PM

Lets f*ckin hope so! That dude single handily cost us Super Bowl XLV. I'll never forgive him for missing that pull like a little school girl on Matthews. No doubt Haley laughed his ass off when he saw him on our roster. Hopefully, Paulson can edge him out sooner rather than later down the line even though we got Pope for a year or so.

ZiggyHeyward
04-28-2012, 06:56 PM
This kid was one of the few TE prospects I liked at the combine I think you get a full days work out of him, another great pick 2 more to go

Blackout
04-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Terrence Frederick CB

Blackout
04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Kevin Beachum T

PhantomJB93
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
A little disappointed with out later round selections, just because I wanted to see a real FB and maybe a K or P taken, but with the way the first 4 picks panned out, I can't complain. I'm huge on DeCastro, Adams, Spence, and Ta'amu, and I think Clemons has a chance to be a real contributor at some point as well. Rainey should be alright and could maybe bring a Sproles-esque touch to our offense.

FrancoLambert
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM

If Stonehands is gone, good riddance.
He is the biggest waste of a roster space.
His memorable and ill-timed blunders are not easy to forget.
This could turn out to be the best prize of the draft. :sofunny:

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah I wanted Toney Clemons since I heard he visited.

Check out TE David Paulson highlights here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RAZASJumA

and lol look for a personal foul by Vontaze Burfect at :22 seconds in.

and watch the one handed catch at 2:36

There's no way David Johnson lasts if this guy can even block a bit.

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Steelers select Valley’s Clemons in 7th round of NFL Draft

By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, April 28, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Ysv9d aOO21$Xq30xwQ1h08$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvWQgT5KVZyRwd rYOAcvONlWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Valley High School and University of Colorado graduate Tony Clemons visits Valley Memorial Stadium in New Kensington as he prepares for the NFL draft in April.

The Steelers selected Valley’s Toney Clemons with the first of their four seventh-round draft picks.

“He is a young man who is hungry,” Steelers wide receiver coach Scottie Montogomery said. “The last three games at Colorado, he showed he could be productive.”

The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder New Kensington native was a two-year starter at Colorado. He caught 43 passes for 680 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior.

“It had nothing to do with him being local,” Montgomery said. “It was just an added bonus.”

Clemons came on late during his senior year at Colorado.

He had three 100-yard games in his final four, including games of 102, 112 and 115 yards.

“It is really a dream come true for me,” Clemons said.

Read more: Steelers select Valley’s Clemons in 7th round of NFL Draft | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1249385-85/clemons-steelers-colorado-games-coach-receiver-valley-catches-final-senior#ixzz1tNa4atlb