PDA

View Full Version : UDFA thread

steel-EERS
04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I heard a rumor that Drew Butler punter from georgia and Brandon lindsey to the steelers as UDFA anyone hear this?

steeltheone
04-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Casey Keenum Please

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
ScottBrown_Trib RT @JDiPaola_Trib:

Pitt LB Brandon Lindsey tweets: "There's no place like home" after ex-Quip agrees to free-agent deal with Steelers.

Read more: Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/#ixzz1tNauCpEj

Blackout
04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Confirmed UDFA picks so far:

Brandon Lindsey, LB, Pitt
Drew Butler, P, Georgia
Robert Golden, DB, Arizona

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
"The jury remains out on another projected 3-4 prospect, Brandon Lindsey of Pitt. On film, Lindsey seems to have some solid rush-and-cornering skills. But in workouts, his times have been mostly average and he looks a bit stiff "

Len Pasquarelli, The Sports Xchange

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243184/brandon-lindsey

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
04/18/2012 - Even for a kicker, Kevin Butler had major swagger back as he became a Georgia legend in the 1980s and plied his wares in the NFL for 13 seasons. Butler was known for his long-range field goals, his antics and for making clutch kicks. He was widely accepted by his teammates, who nicknamed him "Butthead." Fast forward a few decades and three of Butler's former Chicago teammates are NFL head coaches, and two are looking for a punter. "If you want somebody who's been there and knows what to expect of it, Drew falls into that category," Kevin Butler said of his son, one of the top-rated punters in the NFL draft.

Drew Butler averaged 45.2 yards on 168 career punts for Georgia. He placed 60 punts inside the opponent's 20-yard line and never had one blocked. All of that, makes Kevin Butler, who became a Bulldogs legend after making a 60-yarder to defeat No. 2-ranked Clemson in 1984, a very proud father. "As a parent, you are just so very excited for the opportunity that he has put himself in a position for after school," Butler said. "We've been supportive of everything that he's done, certainly as the draft gets closer, I always just try to keep him balanced and keep his expectations in check."

D. Orlando Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1689571/drew-butler

steeltheone
04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Burflict to the Bengals

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Robert Golden FS Arizona

Overview

Golden was a five-star defensive back recruit out of high school, choosing Arizona over Oregon, UCLA and Fresno State. He saw immediate action in 2008 as a true freshman backup, recording 13 tackles, 1.0 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. Golden began camp at cornerback before his sophomore season, but became a starter at strong safety in 2009, finishing with 41 tackles, one pass breakup and 2 interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown. He moved back to corner in 2010 as a junior and started all 13 games, recording 60 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 12 pass breakups, one forced fumble and an interception, earning Second-Team All-Pac 10 honors. Golden moved back to safety as a senior, but also saw time at cornerback, finishing with a career-best 69 tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss, five pass breakups, one forced fumble and one interception, which he returned for a score.

Golden is a versatile secondary player who has played at cornerback and safety, starting the last 38 games of his collegiate career. He is a confident, vocal and tough kid with NFL-level athleticism, but is overaggressive in his playing style and often caught out of position. Golden misses too many of his assignments and needs to do a better job putting himself in a position to make plays. He is an intriguing prospect because of his versatile staring experience and foot speed, but he looks best at free safety, where he can face the action and drive better on the ball. Golden is a better run defender than cover guy at this point and looks like an early third-day prospect.

Analysis

Strengths: Very good athleticism and flexibility with plus speed for the position. He shows a second gear with good recovery speed to make up for missed plays. Attacks the ball with authority with quick read/react ability. He is a willing and physical tackler, showing very good toughness and aggressive nature vs. the run. Fills hard in run support. He is a versatile player with very good experience at both cornerback and safety and also played on special teams coverage. Golden is always a threat with the ball, returning two of his four career INTs for TDs. He is a vocal leader who exudes confidence on and off the field.

Weaknesses: Average size and bulk for safety and has room to add strength to his frame. He needs to improve his overall instincts and put himself in better position to make plays on the ball. Golden has suspect awareness, taking too many poor angles and often overrunning his assignments. He is overaggressive and too often bites on fakes and misdirection, forcing himself to be late to the action because of false steps. Needs to play will more discipline. He has inconsistent tackling technique and does a poor job finishing in space. Suspect ball skills and needs to complete the INT once he gets his hands on the ball. He is too easily blocked and can be eliminated from the play by a single blocker. NFL Comparison: Eric Frampton, Minnesota Vikings -- Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1620396/robert-golden

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I am pretty sure somebody here mocked Butler to the Steelers. That person must be happy.

Robert Golden is a cornerback that should play safety. I like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yAndT-PK8

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Just got this from the Steelers web site

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. College

Drew Butler P 6-1 204 Georgia

Terry Carter CB 5-10 184 La. Tech

Connor Dixon WR 6-5 222 Duquesne

Robert Golden S 5-11 202 Arizona

Ikponmwosa Igbinosun DE 6-4 288 Southern Connecticut State

Ryan Lee C/G 6-3 308 Furman

Brandon Lindsey LB 6-2 254 Pitt

Marquis Maze WR 5-8 186 Alabama

Grant Ressel K 6-1 190 Missouri

Adrian Robinson LB 6-1 250 Temple

Desmond Stapleton OT 6-5 301 Rutgers

Jake Stoller DE 6-3 284 Yale

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 09:48 PM

After missing only 3 kicks in 46 attempts his first two years he had a really bad 2011. 9 of 16.

Blackout
04-28-2012, 09:52 PM
We added:
Marquis Maze, WR, Alabama
Desmond Stapleton, OG, Rutgers
Adrian Robinson, DE, Temple
Alex Tanney, QB, Monmouth

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I hope Desmond is the better of the Stapleton brothers. I like Maze. A few interesting names there.

Blackout
04-28-2012, 09:56 PM

After missing only 3 kicks in 46 attempts his first two years he had a really bad 2011. 9 of 16.

What happened in 2011?

steeltheone
04-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Adrian Robinson of Harrisburg Pa

steeltheone
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
What happened in 2011?

Must be a woman...:sofunny:

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun . What a name!

Rockonsteel
04-28-2012, 09:59 PM
No FB?

Rockon

steel-EERS
04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
is desmond darnells brother?

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Ressel's woes continue

BY VAHE GREGORIAN
Sunday, October 9, 2011

MANHATTAN, Kan. ē For two seasons, Mizzou kicker Grant Ressel was virtually automatic. He made 26 of 27 field goal attempts in 2009, 17 of 19 a year ago and 84 of 86 extra point attempts overall.

But after missing two of three from within his normal range (37 and 43 yards out) on Saturday at Kansas State, it had come to this:

"I feel bad for him," MU coach Gary Pinkel said. "Obviously we've got an issue, a problem there."

Pinkel went on to note any number of other plays helped determine Mizzou's 24-17 loss to the Wildcats, and he's right.

But there's also no denying Ressel for the first time is in the throes of a funk.

"It's like Tiger Woods. He's in a slump," Ressel said. "Eventually, he's going to figure it out and be great again. He's Tiger Woods. He's the best golfer there is.

"I'm a pretty good kicker, and eventually I'm going to get back in my swing."

Ressel said he wasn't bogged down by his previous misses. (He entered the game six of 10).

"Honestly, I wasn't thinking about the other kicks from last week or two weeks ago or the weeks in the past," he said, speaking of the 43-yard attempt just before halftime. "I just focused on that kick, and I obviously was a little unfocused right when the ball came."

Whether it's in his mechanics or his mind, though, doesn't matter.

"Everything's mechanics," he said. "(Even) if you say it's mental, (the) mental affects your mechanics."

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_9dd45f99-ff36-5a7e-b271-2d5944292618.html#ixzz1tNoQ4WTc

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Guess the only ones i would be interested in are:

P Drew Butler , maybe.
S Robert Golden , for sure.
OLB Brandon Lindsey, curious.
K Grant Ressel, hope he regains his accuracy but sounds like he's a head case now.
LB Adrian Robinson, seems to be a pass rushing outside linebacker

Adrian Robinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31_YMLrudQs

Blackout
04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Alfred McCullough, OL, Alabama

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Remember how long last year we had to talk before any Undrafted Free Agents were signed? We didn't even get around to a wish list before the signings were announced this year.

Steelersfan87
04-28-2012, 10:18 PM
is desmond darnells brother?

Yes. Both from Rutgers.

casteeler
04-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Casey Keenum Please

Agreed

Blackout
04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Keenum got selected to the Texans

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Steelers Complete 2012 NFL Draft With Nine Selections

Team Agrees To Terms With 12 Rookie Free Agents

The Steelers added nine draft picks as well as agreeing to terms with 12 rookie free agents following the 2012 NFL Draft, the team announced today. The 21 rookies will participate in the teamís rookie minicamp next weekend, which runs Friday through Sunday, May 4-6.

The Steelersí 2012 draftees include offensive guard David DeCastro (1st round; 24th overall), offensive tackle Mike Adams (2nd; 56th), linebacker Sean Spence (3rd; 86th), defensive tackle Alameda Taíamu (4th; 109th), running back Chris Rainey (5th, 159th), wide receiver Toney Clemons (7th a; 231st), tight end David Paulson (7th b; 240th), cornerback Terrence Frederick (7th c; 246th) and offensive guard Kelvin Beachum (7th d; 248th).

The 12 undrafted rookies include punter Drew Butler (Georgia), cornerback Terry Carter (La. Tech), wide receiver Connor Dixon (Duquesne), safety Robert Golden (Arizona), defensive end Ikponmwosa Igbinosun (Southern Connecticut State), center/guard Ryan Lee (Furman), linebacker Brandon Lindsey (Pitt), wide receiver Marquis Maze (Alabama), kicker Grant Ressel (Missouri), linebacker Adrian Robinson (Temple), offensive tackle Desmond Stapleton (Rutgers) and defensive end Jake Stoller (Yale).

Following is a list of the Steelers 2012 draft picks and rookie free agents:

PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2012 DRAFT PICKS

No. in
Rnd. Rnd. Overall Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Age College
1. 24 24 David DeCastro OG 6-5 316 22 Stanford
2. 24 56 Mike Adams OT 6-7 323 22 Ohio State
3. 23 86 Sean Spence LB 5-11 231 21 Miami (Fla.)
4.* 14 109 Alameda Taíamu DT 6-2 348 21 Washington
5. 24 159 Chris Rainey RB 5-8 180 24 Florida
7a. 24 231 Toney Clemons WR 6-2 210 23 Colorado
7b.** 33 240 David Paulson TE 6-3 246 23 Oregon
7c.** 39 246 Terrence Frederick CB 5-10 187 22 Texas A&M
7d.** 41 248 Kelvin Beachum OG 6-3 303 22 SMU

*Acquired 14th pick (109th overall) in the 4th round via a trade with the Washington Redskins. The Steelers traded their original fourth-round selection (119th overall) and sixth-round selection (193rd overall) in return for the 109th overall pick.
**Received 33rd, 39th and 41st picks in 7th round (240th, 246th and 248th overall) as compensatory picks from the NFL.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS 2012 ROOKIE FREE AGENTS

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. College
Drew Butler P 6-1 204 Georgia
Terry Carter CB 5-10 184 La. Tech
Connor Dixon WR 6-5 222 Duquesne
Robert Golden S 5-11 202 Arizona
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun DE 6-4 288 Southern Connecticut State
Ryan Lee C/G 6-3 308 Furman
Brandon Lindsey LB 6-2 254 Pitt
Marquis Maze WR 5-8 186 Alabama
Adrian Robinson LB 6-1 250 Temple
Desmond Stapleton OT 6-5 301 Rutgers
Jake Stoller DE 6-3 284 Yale

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Complete-2012-NFL-Draft-With-Nine-Selections/848a2a71-6ed3-4b6f-82a4-df9bbcb0fe63

Kingmagyar
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Guys I think it's over. The list I posted on the previous page (post #10) is it. They are allowed to sign more and you never know. But the web site implied that is all of them.

Blackout
04-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Your list didn't include Alfred McCullough, unless my information is wrong.

pancake
04-28-2012, 10:39 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/vontaze-burfict-top-undrafted-free-agents-042912

List of top UDFA

pancake
04-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Where is our FB?

Hawaii 5-0
04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Where is our FB?

right here:

Steelers Draft Oregon TE David Paulson With the Third of Four 7th Round Picks

by Neal Coolong on Apr 28, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3870746/134585328_extra_large.jpg

The Steelers added to their growing tight end/H-back unit with the 7th round selection of Oregon TE David Paulson.

A Swiss Army Knife kind of weapon, Paulson caught 38 passes and six touchdowns for Oregon this season, and was named the team's co-MVP on the speed of his versatility. At 6-foot-3, 248 pounds, he'd probably be used as an H-back, mixing responsibilities of a tight end and a traditional fullback.

He flashes some decent athletic ability, but he doesn't do any one thing poorly. He could pan out as a jack-of-all-trades kind of player in Pittsburgh, although he will have a tough time making the active roster out of training camp. The practice squad certainly is an option, an area the Steelers have stashed talented players away in the past.

Paulson is also the third Washington native the Steelers have drafted. He should expect to be asked his thoughts on the officiating of Super Bowl XL.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

tburhans
04-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Not sure why we havent tried to get either of these guys for a FB:
Emil Igwenagu-UMass
6'1 249
Igwenagu signed with UMASS as a highly touted prep athlete after leading his high school to two consecutive Division Two Super Bowl wins, earning MVP each time. Once with the Minutemen, coaches struggled to find a role that would best take advantage of Igwenagu's athleticism and explosiveness while acknowledging his less than ideal size. As such he redshirted as a freshman, winning the Outstanding Offensive Scout Team award due to his role at running back. He also played linebacker for the scout team. A year later he made the switch to fullback. As a redshirt sophomore he was moved to H-Back, where he caught 23 passes for 283 yards and a touchdown. Injuries limited him to only 12 catches asa junior but Igwenagu finished his career strong, grabbing 38 passes for 375 yards and three scores in 2011. Igwenagu lacks the bulk to remain at tight end (or perhaps even H-back) in the NFL, but could move back to fullback, as he has all of the traits scouts are looking for at the position. Igwenagu is a well built athlete capable of handling the jump in competition. He also plays the game with a physical and competitive mindset. With few teams looking for traditional fullbacks in this new era of passing prominence, Igwenagu has the receiving skills to do damage on the perimeter when not blasting holes in the running game.

Chad Diehl-Clemson
6'2 260
Diehl is a classic sledgehammer fullback. He handles any blocking assignment he's handed from blitz pickup to straight-ahead drive blocking, and he almost always gets the job done with authority. Diehl also played on punt and kick coverages, kickoff returns, and won Clemson's Hustle and Dedication awards. He's a high-effort player and delivers high-impact blocks but won't likely carve a niche in an NFL offense beyond blowing open running lanes and giving up his body in short-yardage on occasion. The need for such role players has thinned, but many teams will be eager to acquire his services in the middle of the draft's third day.

StainlessStill
04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
"The jury remains out on another projected 3-4 prospect, Brandon Lindsey of Pitt. On film, Lindsey seems to have some solid rush-and-cornering skills. But in workouts, his times have been mostly average and he looks a bit stiff "

Len Pasquarelli, The Sports Xchange

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243184/brandon-lindsey

Want to hear a true story? I knocked Lindsey out my senior year in high school football.

I played defensive end for my high school, Ellwood City and Lindsey was the Quips running back at the time. Aliquippa was always tough (played against Revis too, I was a freshman on kick-team, he was the Quips kick-returner) and they had one of the most intimidating stadiums in the league, called the "Pit." The game was back and forth and I had a monster game, leading tackler and a forced fumble on Lindsey the start of the second half. He was huge though and took me for a ride a couple times.

They took the lead on a safety though late in the game and gave the ball to Lindsey sweep left to kill clock. I was coming from the right side, dove, and tried to Greg Lloyd hammer-thud it out of Lindsey's arms. I ended up missing the ball though and ended up upper-cutting him in the throat, knocked out. We lost the game 26-22 once an illegal formation called on us stalled the comeback drive.

In my mock, I had us taking Lindsey at #7B. I guess I could always say I knocked out a beloved Pittsburgh Steeler on the football field, lmao.:tt04:

ricardisimo
04-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Kind of surprised they didn't sniff Lucas Nix, as long as the O-line is being revamped.

Kingmagyar
04-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Nothing on the Steeler web site about G Alfred McCullough of Alabama but if he is here I like him a whole lot better then who we got in the 7th round. Kelvin Beachum.

Kingmagyar
04-29-2012, 09:56 AM
The writing is on the wall about a fullback around here with the amount of bodies they have at H-back now. I do like the ability of a blocker being able to be a weapon in the passing game so I like the H-back minus David Johnson. You could say some great fullbacks of the past like Moose Johnson 6"2" 242 in Dallas or Tom Rathman of San Fran were the H-backs of their time.

I'm excited about what a Will Johnson or David Paulson can bring in the passing game if one of them makes the team. Emil Igwenagu was a part time TE in college as well so he is an H-back too that I liked a lot.

steeltheone
04-29-2012, 10:00 AM
For you PIAA Wrestling fans Adrian Robinsons brother Averee is 2X State Champ and is commited to Temple also.

Adrian was a good wrestler also. Nice athletic kids.

FrancoLambert
04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Where is our FB?

Wait....you forgot about our stellar incumbent FB, Stonehands Johnson. :doh:
One can only hope that we will no longer see his name attached to our roster.

Kingmagyar
04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Wait....you forgot about our stellar incumbent FB, Stonehands Johnson. :doh:
One can only hope that we will no longer see his name attached to our roster.

It will be up to Will Johnson, Coby Fleener, or new draft pick David Paulson to get him outta here. Learn to block fellas. We know you can catch the ball better then him.

kan_t
04-29-2012, 12:29 PM
When the biggest complain about the draft is not picking a FB, I think it means the draft is pretty good.

55BaileyFan
04-29-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDJb03a0yo

Alex Tanney, the trick shot QB from Monmouth College, has signed a deal to attend Rookie Camp. If they like him then he could receive a camp invite.

Avoid-Lloyd
04-29-2012, 01:59 PM
WKU's HB Bobby Rainey would have been worth a look. He lead the nation in rushing his Jr year and finished 3rd last season. I wonder if he sign with anyone yet. Also I wish we would have spent our 7d pick on Burfict. I know he is a head case but well worth a look with our fourth 7th round pick. That's my only complaints, except we could have used a CB at some point earlier than 7th round, so I'm happy with this draft.

Avoid-Lloyd
04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Well never mind. Bobby Rainey sign with Baltimore so now I hope he sucks. Haha!

Kingmagyar
04-29-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxDJb03a0yo

Alex Tanney, the trick shot QB from Monmouth College, has signed a deal to attend Rookie Camp. If they like him then he could receive a camp invite.

The Next Joe Montana!

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Steelers announce a dozen rookie free agents, including Marquis Maze

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/marquismazeallstatebcsnationalchampionship1nbkuqtw szrl-e1335750416423.jpg?w=231

The Steelers are the latest team to disclose the acquisition of rookie free agents who have signed with the team after the conclusion of the draft.

The 12 new Steelers are: P Drew Butler (Georgia); CB Terry Carter (Louisian Tech); WR Connor Dixon (Duquesne); S Robert Golden (Arizona); DE Ikponmwosa Igbinosun (Southern Connecticut State); C/G Ryan Lee (Furman); LB Brandon Lindsey (Pitt); WR Marquis Maze (Alabama); K Grant Ressel (Missouri); LB Adrian Robinson (Temple); OT Desmond Stapleton (Rutgers); and DE Jake Stoller (Yale).

Maze is the most intriguing of the bunch. A receiver and return specialist who was a key member of the Alabama offense and special teams, Maze could provide a significant spark for the Steelers ó if he first can make the team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/29/steelers-announce-a-dozen-rooke-free-agents-including-marquis-maze/

bornaSteelersfan
04-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Check out this video of Connor Dixon. I was intrigued when I saw his size, so I checked it out. He looks like a pretty good route runner and his moves to get YAC are excellent! He also looks like when he's not in the play, he wants to put the hurt on someone. He could be that tall receiver Ben wants - if he makes the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWwj31rsXUg

(Couldn't get embedding to work)

Kingmagyar
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Would like to see Toney Clemons and Marquis Maze get those final two slots, but Connor Dixon stands out because of that size. Maze has an inside track because of his special teams ability and big time school production.

Maze punt return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bXXbOk-Qbo

bornaSteelersfan
04-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Would like to see Toney Clemons and Marquis Maze get those final two slots, but Connor Dixon stands out because of that size. Maze has an inside track because of his special teams ability and big time school production.

Maze punt return
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bXXbOk-Qbo

That was a-Maze-ing!

dyce23
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Check out this video of Connor Dixon. I was intrigued when I saw his size, so I checked it out. He looks like a pretty good route runner and his moves to get YAC are excellent! He also looks like when he's not in the play, he wants to put the hurt on someone. He could be that tall receiver Ben wants - if he makes the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWwj31rsXUg

(Couldn't get embedding to work)

I was impressed with his blocking ability, but not much else. Hopefully, he pans out for us though, because I love the size!

mesaSteeler
04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Ed: Steelers Bring in Rookie QB
Monday, 30 April 2012 08:51
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116169-ed-steelers-bring-in-rookie-qb

The NFL has stupid rules, as many of you know, but none dumber than the two we’ll address here, backward in order of the negative affect on their member teams.
The first is the rookie orientation each team is permitted to have. The Steelers will have one this weekend. They are allowed to bring in all of their rookies, plus any players who have not been on a team’s roster.

That’s fine, except the Steelers don’t have a quarterback who has never been on a team’s roster. They do have Jerrod Johnson, who has never been an active player for an NFL team, although he was in camp with the Eagles and played Arena football, so he probably is eligible for this camp.
However, their other four quarterbacks are not, including Troy Smith.
Since the Steelers did not draft a quarterback, nor sign one after the draft, what do they do?
They went out and offered a tryout to Monmouth College QB Alex Tanney, which is permitted. Tanney then will be at their rookie minicamp this weekend. He’s a rookie, but he’s not a Steeler. THAT, the NFL permits. Crazy.

Here’s a link to the story in his hometown paper:
Click here: Steelers give Monmouth's Tanney a shot - Galesburg, IL - The Register-Mail
Or
http://www.galesburg.com/newsnow/x1018070969/Steelers-give-Monmouths-Tanney-a-shot

That rule covering the rookie orientation camps likely was written into the new CBA, which means the union was involved so it’s not a one-sided NFL rule.

The next one is: Players whose college semester or trimester or quartermester have not finished are not permitted to report to their teams other than for that rookie orientation until those periods end.

That means their top two draft choices, David DeCastro and Mike Adams, can attend rookie orientation but then must disappear until their classes end. I believe that is around June 9 for Adams and June 15 for DeCastro.

So, Adams will be able to attend minicamp June 12-14 but DeCastro will miss everything.
The NFL instituted this rule in order to try to appease the colleges, rather than taking those poor football players out of their classes early so they could go pursue their careers. Never mind that some of those players had already withdrawn from classes because they signed up for workout camps to prepare for the combine and their pro days.
It’s good to know, however, that both DeCastro and Adams will be well schooled over the next month, no?

Onto some stuff:
--- The Steelers signed a punter and a kicker as undrafted free agents, perhaps so they can put and kick during rookie orientation.

--- YOU: At least they didn't draft a punter this year.
However, at least two picks seem a bit lacking in the good citizen department.
ME: They’re hiring them to play football, not as police officers.

--- YOU: Do you think Kugler will have Adams and Gilbert compete for the LT job with the loser moving to RT? Also, does the selection of Rainey show Haley’s new influence of the offense? I’ve heard Dexter McCluster comparisons.
ME: It will be interesting to see where Kugler does put Adams and Gilbert. He told us on Friday he would have to have a beer and think about it. Rainey could indeed reflect Haley’s philosophy.

--- YOU: I always thought the LG in the Steeler's scheme is the one that pulls and must be mobile. In your suggested line of LT Mike Adams, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Marcus Gilbert I can't believe Colon can move well enough to play LG. Given Colbert's comment that DeCastro led 80% of Standford's running plays don't you think he'd make the better LG in the Steeler's system?
ME: Don’t know if you’ve noticed but the Steelers have a new system coordinator, Todd Haley and, likely, a new system.

--- YOU: I don't recall seeing the assistant coaches meet the press during the season like they did after the draft picks. Do they give interviews during the season? John Mitchell sure was entertaining. Is he always that wired?
ME: The Steelers, a.k.a. Mike Tomlin, have made it more difficult to talk to assistant coaches.
Comments on this article: 8

pancake
05-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I think the Conner Dixon kid has a better shot of making the team than the maze kid. The reason is, I think maze will not beat out Rainer for return duties and Conner has more starter potential.

Fire Arians
05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
butler should be able to give kapinos some competition

TRH
05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
we definitely need a backup QB...not Batch...he's horrible. Whether its Smith stepping up or a good unsigned FA of some kind, whatever. We need somebody.

zcoop
05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I think the Conner Dixon kid has a better shot of making the team than the maze kid. The reason is, I think maze will not beat out Rainer for return duties and Conner has more starter potential.

Who is Connor Dixon and what has he done?

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
we definitely need a backup QB...not Batch...he's horrible. Whether its Smith stepping up or a good unsigned FA of some kind, whatever. We need somebody.

Already signed Leftwich...

Kingmagyar
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Arizona Safety Robert Golden, remember his name. The only new safety we've added. Also played Corner. His one on one drills seemed nice. Not sure if that was the Senior Bowl or his own guys. Plays the run great and seems to be able to cover.

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Here's to hoping he can make the kind of pre-season impression that Damon Cromartie-Smith made 2 years ago that got him on the 53 this past season. With 2 starters over 30, the more young bodies at safety available the better.

TRH
05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Already signed Leftwich...

i know we did. And i'm not a fan.

AgentGold007
05-02-2012, 12:30 AM

Horrible? Charlie Batch has been a solid backup. The Steelers are 5-2 with him as a starter, and were within 45 seconds of being 6-1 with him as a starter if it wasn't for William Gay getting toasted on that last drive against the ravens in 2010 during Ben's suspension.

Steel_Bus_24
05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Horrible? Charlie Batch has been a solid backup. The Steelers are 5-2 with him as a starter, and were within 45 seconds of being 6-1 with him as a starter if it wasn't for William Gay getting toasted on that last drive against the ravens in 2010 during Ben's suspension.

Correction....

some how Bryant 'Mcushion" was the one who gave that up:doh:

Steelersfan87
05-02-2012, 03:27 AM
i know we did. And i'm not a fan.

Right, sorry, I forgot that the Steelers regularly seek your advice. Let me know in which direction they are heading in regards to backup quarterbacks after already having 5 on the roster. :sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Arizona Safety Robert Golden, remember his name. The only new safety we've added. Also played Corner. His one on one drills seemed nice. Not sure if that was the Senior Bowl or his own guys. Plays the run great and seems to be able to cover.

Robert Golden 6'0" 220lbs, 4.55 40 yard dash.
Biography: Three-year starter who lined up at both cornerback and safety. Senior totals included 69 tackles/1 interception/5 breakups after he had 60/1/12 as a junior.

Positives: Nice-sized, athletic cornerback who displays next-level ball skills. Fluid pedaling in reverse, displays a sense of timing and possesses good hands for interceptions. Shows a feel for coverage, quickly locates the pass in the air and has a nice burst to the action. Good athlete who easily moves in every direction of the field. Works hard to defend throws. A good tackler.

Negatives: Marginally effective at safety. Struggles in zone coverage and does not display good anticipation. Indecisive in situations other than man-to-man coverage.

Analysis: The highly-rated Golden got off to a hot start in 2011 before being moved inside to safety. He struggled there but showed enough ball skills and ability in the past to make one believe he has potential as a nickel or dime back in the NFL.

Projection: 7th
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/78997.html#ixzz1tj0LCxOV

AgentGold007
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Correction....

I must've mixed them up. They both got toasted on game winning drives by the ravens in back-to-back years. Either way, those were games the Steelers should have won.

Kingmagyar
05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
After reading the assessment of Robert Golden above posted by El Gonzo maybe he should be tried at CB rather then Safety. His clips I mentioned does show a knack for man to man coverage.

ricardisimo
05-03-2012, 01:36 AM
Correction....

That's OK. For some reason it's easier to blame William Gay for everything... the SB loss, the housing bubble, my first marriage... :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
05-03-2012, 03:13 AM
There are stars to be found in the forgotten, undrafted free agents

By Pat Kirwan | CBSSports.com NFL Insider

The undrafted rookies may be the forgotten wave of talent to enter the NFL. They receive little to no signing bonus, inevitably sign split contracts (which leave them close to half pay if they happened to be injured in camp and have to go on injured reserve), and if they show any signs of hope they are invited to join the practice squad as a weekly employee.

Once the draft is over and the UFA players arenít selected, they become the forgotten men and, of course, the public thinks something has to be wrong with them since no one thought enough to draft them in one of the 253 draft spots.

I have had great experiences with undrafted players who went on to do great things in the NFL. My advice: donít sell this group of players short!

As Bill Belichick said to me today when we spoke about the undrafted class: "I think there is always talent in the undrafted pool" and he mentioned Brian Hoyer, Kyle Love, and Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis among others that competed well enough to make the Patriots' roster.

Do I have to remind anyone that Houston Texans running back Arian Foster was an undrafted player?

Hereís my list of 20 undrafted free agents in no particular order that I like as much as third-day draft picks to make teams or at the very least get to a practice squad.

1. Mike Brewster, C Ohio State (Jacksonville) -- I watched him for a week at the Senior Bowl. He competes to the whistle and sometimes after the whistle. He started 48 games for the Buckeyes and has been named captain eight times in his college career. He is a competitor.

2. Drew Butler, K Georgia (Pittsburgh) -- Son of former Bears kicker Kevin Butler, and the game isnít too big for him. He has 167 punts and a 45.4 yard average. He should beat out Jeremy Kapinos for the job.

3. Chris Polk, RB Washington (Philadelphia) -- He had second-round talent but an injury history kept him undrafted. A shrewd move by the Eagles to pick up the 225-pound back with 4,146 yards of offense and 30 touchdowns. He has good receiving skills for a back his size.

4. Quentin Saulsberry, C/G Mississippi State (Minnesota) -- My favorite player on tape all spring. He is a wild and intense football player that could play defensive line as well as center or guard. He will mix it up every day in camp and the coaches are going to find it hard to cut him.

5. Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M (Miami) -- The Dolphins need big receivers since Brandon Marshall left. The new QB is Fullerís old college teammate, Ryan Tannehill, and the offensive coordinator is his old college head coach, Mike Sherman. Fuller is a 6í4" wide receiver with 233 receptions and 34 touchdown passes.

6. William Vlachos, C Alabama (Tennessee) -- I watched the undersized center at the pro bowl and he reminds me of Casey Wiegmann. He has 40 college starts and a knack for winning in the trenches.

7. Patrick Edwards, WR Houston (Detroit) -- Heís a slot receiver with 45 starts, 291 receptions (over six a game) and 43 touchdowns. He also has return skills.

8. George Bryan, TE North Carolina State (Dallas) -- Blocking tight ends with 126 receptions at 265 pounds are hard to find. The Cowboys lost Martellus Bennett in free agency and drafted 6th round TE James Hanna.

9. Nick Jean-Baptiste, NT Baylor (Baltimore) -- The Ravens like 3-4 nose tackle types to keep Ray Lewis free to roam. Nicholas can hold the point of attack and force some double teams. Heís a hard-working, tough guy and will fit the mold of the Ravens.

10. Duke Ihenacho, S San Jose State (Denver) -- Duke has the size to be an effective strong safety. The retirement of Brian Dawkins leaves a spot on the roster. Duke finished his college career with 265 tackles, seven interceptions and seven forced fumbles. The Broncos didnít draft a safety.

11. Carson Wiggs, K Purdue (Seattle) -- Wiggs is a big kicker that also kicks off. He has field goals of 59, 53, 53 and 52. I liked him at the Senior Bowl.

12. Leonard Johnson, CB Iowa State (Tampa Bay) -- The Bucs went for safety Mark Barron in the first round instead of CB Morris Claiborne. Johnson is a solid tackling corner with 250 career tackles. He will be a standout on special teams and will be mentored by Ronde Barber.

13. Brett Roy, DT Nevada (NY Jets) -- The guy loves the game and can line up at a lot of defensive positions. Rex Ryan loves guys like this and will want him on special teams. I remember when Mike DeVito won a job on the Jets because of his love of the game. He had 53 plays behind the line of scrimmage in 27 starts.

14. Tyler Nielson, S/LB Iowa (Minnesota) -- He had a neck injury in 2010 but came back to start all 12 games in 2011. He is a big-time hustler that will excel on special teams.

15. Christian Tupou, DT USC (San Diego) -- Christian is a competitor and could make the Chargers as a backup defensive lineman. Antonio Garay made this team with great effort and intensity. Tupou has the same qualities.

16. Ryan Steed, S Furman (NY Jets) -- Steed is a football player that has corner skills and a safety mentality. He has blitz skills and the Jets like to blitz. He will cut his teeth on special teams. He had 14 interceptions in college and could remind Rex Ryan of Jim Leonard in the pressure packages.

17. James Brown, OG Troy State (Chicago)-- Most thought he would be drafted but after the Senior Bowl I thought free agent was more realistic. Heís more of a guard than a tackle and may have to go to the practice squad for a year, but he does compete. He will battle in the trenches as indicated at Senior Bowl practices and if O-line coach Mike Tice likes him he will be on the active roster sooner rather than later.

18. Markus Zusevics, OT Iowa -- The Patriots have taken offensive linemen that never played college football and turned them into starters; Markus has been well coached at Iowa and plays on his feet. He built himself up from a 225 lb. freshman into a 295 lb. senior. He will keep plugging until he makes the active roster.

19. Kellen Moore, QB Boise State (Detroit) -- Donít underestimate winners! 52 starts for the lefty and most of them are 'Wís'. If he gets on the field in the preseason he will do things that will make the Lions sit up and take notice.

20. Brandon Bolden, RB Mississippi (Not signed yet) -- I watched a number of Mississippi games and Bolden was a one-man army. Stop Bolden and you stopped Mississippi. Ben Jarvis Green Ellis came up through the same experience except Bolden is a better receiver out of the backfield. He has some issues off the field but he has burst, vision and strength.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/18912331/there-are-gems-to-be-found-in-the-forgotten-undrafted-free-agents

Kingmagyar
05-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't have minded Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M instead of Connor Dixon of Duquesne.

George Bryan, TE North Carolina State would have added another real true TE to the team to compete.

Carson Wiggs, K Purdue ?

And our boy Nicolas Jean Baptitste who went to the Ravens and some of us had mocked as high as 3rd round. Not that we need him now with Ta'amu.

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Duquesne WR's trip to NFL had detours

By Jerry DiPaola
Tribune-Review

Published: Friday, May 4, 2012

Connor Dixon, the first Duquesne player to join the Steelers since 1951, was productive at two positions at Duquesne.

RECEIVING

Season G/GS No. Yds TD

2009 4/0 22 333 2

2010 11/10 43 602 5

2011 11/9 40 792 16

Totals 26/19 105 1,727 23

PASSING

Season G/GS Comp Att Yds TD

*2007 1/0 3 5 37 1

2008 9/8 139 267 1,899 20

2009 9/6 64 108 786 5

Totals 19/14 206 380 2,722 26

* — At Michigan State

Connor Dixon wanted to play quarterback at all costs, but it took a concussion to clear his head.

Midway through Duquesne's 2009 season, the then-junior quarterback suffered a head injury and missed a game. The following week, doctors didn't give him clearance until Wednesday.

"At that point, we were already into our prep, and we were going to use the other quarterback," Dukes coach Jerry Schmitt said. "So I asked him if he would consider going out and catching some passes for us.

"He said, ‘Sure, no problem.' By the time I walked out on the field (for practice), he already had his receiver gloves on."

By Saturday, Dixon, a quarterback since the seventh grade, was entrenched at wide receiver, catching seven passes for 68 yards and a touchdown in a 31-14 loss to St. Francis (Pa.).

"I looked kind of weird and dumb in my stance," Dixon said. "I didn't really know what I was doing, but in terms of route running and being an athlete, it was natural. I kind of enjoyed it."

Three years later, Dixon, 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, is a professional wide receiver after signing a contract with the Steelers. He will join the team for minicamp today through Sunday.

Yet that's only part of the story.

Dixon finished the 2009 season with 22 receptions for 333 yards and two touchdowns in four games. His shoulder weakened from three surgical procedures, he relented, making the switch permanent in 2010 and becoming one the best pass catchers in the Northeast Conference, with 43 receptions, 602 yards and five touchdowns.

But that was his fifth collegiate season. After quarterbacking South Park to the PIAA Class AA championship in 2005, he spent two years at Michigan State before transferring.

In East Lansing, Mich., he lost time due to shoulder problems and mononucleosis. He petitioned the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility, but he didn't get an affirmative answer until 30 hours before the first game of last season at Bucknell.

By that time, Duquesne's bus had left campus without him. Dixon and his father jumped in a car and drove to the hotel in Williamsport.

Midway through a team meeting, doors at the back of the ballroom swung open, and Dixon walked in, beaming with the good news.

Dixon's teammates turned around, spotted their star wide receiver, knew he was there to play football and - spontaneously and in unison - gave him a standing ovation.

After the meeting, coaches quizzed Dixon on the playbook because he hadn't been to a practice in 10 months. Not only did he ace the test, he caught a 14-yard touchdown pass on his first play.

Thus began Dixon's record-setting season that ended with a spot on the All-NEC first team and a co-NEC title for the Dukes (9-2).

With 4.4 to 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash, he caught 16 TD passes in 11 games (nine starts), tying a school record. Overall, he had 40 catches for 798 yards (19.8 average)

"He did it sometimes going over the top with his speed," Schmitt said. "But a lot of times, he made some moves you wouldn't think a bigger guy could make. Other times, he found holes and caught the ball in traffic."

Still, all he ever wanted to do was play quarterback. Dixon had even turned down scholarship offers from Pitt, Penn State, North Carolina and other schools that wanted him merely as an athlete.

Now, Dixon is leaving Duquesne with a degree in finance and the distinction of throwing and catching more than 20 career touchdown passes (25 in 14 starts as a quarterback and 23 in 26 games as a receiver).

He still has a lot to learn about wide receiver, but he doesn't consider his time at quarterback wasted.

"I think if I was going to peak at all," he said, "better late than never."

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1287998-85/dixon-quarterback-season-duquesne-receiver-2009-passes-wide-yards-catching

Fire Arians
05-04-2012, 02:49 PM
i was actually hoping we'd pick carson wiggs with one of our comp picks. he would probably beat suisham for the job, and has a cannon for a leg

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
i was actually hoping we'd pick carson wiggs with one of our comp picks. he would probably beat suisham for the job, and has a cannon for a leg

you mean you would actually prefer having a kicker who can put his kickoffs into the end zone and has a realistic chance of making a FG from over 50 yards? :grin: