PDA

View Full Version : Guys up until this year we had some "HORRIBLE DRAFTS in the past.:

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 01:06 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htmCheck out our drafts from the past few years..WOEFUL!:redface: (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm)

tanda10506
04-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Not ANYTIME recently.

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Not ANYTIME recently.

the 2008 draft wasn't too good:

Round 1 Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Round 2 Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

Round 3 Bruce Davis, OLB, UCLA

Round 4 Tony Hills, OT, Texas

Round 5 Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon

Round 6 Mike Humpal, OLB, Iowa

Round 6 Ryan Mundy, S, West Virginia

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 01:46 AM
We got Holmes in 2006. He made his name in Steeler legend for his "CATCH" in the Superbowl. The rest of that draft was a wash. Willie Colon was in it, but that was it. 2008 was a bust.

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2012, 02:01 AM
We got Holmes in 2006. He made his name in Steeler legend for his "CATCH" in the Superbowl. The rest of that draft was a wash. Willie Colon was in it, but that was it. 2008 was a bust.

I would have to agree that 2006 also was not good:

2006 DRAFT PICKS

1. Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State

2. Anthony Smith, S, Syracuse - 3rd Round

3. Willie Reid, WR/RS, Florida State - 3rd Round

4. Willie Colon, G, Hofstra - 4th Round

5. Orien Harris, DT, Miami - 4th Round

6. Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green - 5th Round

7. Charles Davis, TE, Purdue - 5th Round

8. Marvin Phillip, C, California - 6th Round

9. Cedric Humes, RB, Virginia Tech - 7th Round

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 02:03 AM
2009 would have been better if we hadn't given up on Kraig Urbik. He would be a guard along side of Pouncey this up coming season. Oh, well can't win them all.:noidea:

Blackout
04-29-2012, 02:36 AM
But all of these drafts looked great on paper no?

steeltheone
04-29-2012, 04:31 AM
But all of these drafts looked great on paper no?

Thats why it takes a few years to figure drafts out.

zcoop
04-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Thats why it takes a few years to figure drafts out.

True dat, it's mostly about potential until the rubber meets the road and the season starts. We've done pretty well at most positions over the years but we've had our share of major bust too.

The D side of the ball has been our bread and butter, we haven't had many studs on the O side of the ball lately. With the addition of two OL men our production numbers should go up on that side of the ball. At least I hope they do.

jjpro11
04-29-2012, 09:27 AM
i think you guys are expecting a little too much production out of each draft. if you can get at least a couple of long-term starters out of one draft, or a single pro-bowl talent in another, i'd consider that pretty productive... especially if they become starters on an already stacked team like the Steelers. if you compare drafts from around the league, you'll see a lot of weaker drafts than ours year in, and year out.

i agree that 2008 was weak. Mendenhall wasn't a bust, but didn't really exceed expectations either. i will say this though, if he had the opportunity of playing behind our oline from 2004 or 2005, he would have been much more productive.

i don't think 2006 was all that weak. Holmes was very productive with us, "Super productive" actually. Willie Colon, when healthy, is a solid RT.

we haven't had a true first round bust since 1999, Troy Edwards. but in that draft, we were able to salvage that bust by taking Joey Porter and Aaron Smith.

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Every other team in the league gets their drafts 100% right and never gets a bust. Is that correct? This team annually has very little room to add new talent because they are always stacked. The past few years they have drafted to fill the positions of the people that are getting older. Don't know about Clark's and Polomolu's positions but they have pretty much filled every other position of need. Perhaps Sean Spence really will be turned into a safety. Only time will tell.

zsheik22
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
i think you guys are expecting a little too much production out of each draft. if you can get at least a couple of long-term starters out of one draft, or a single pro-bowl talent in another, i'd consider that pretty productive... especially if they become starters on an already stacked team like the Steelers. if you compare drafts from around the league, you'll see a lot of weaker drafts than ours year in, and year out.

i agree that 2008 was weak. Mendenhall wasn't a bust, but didn't really exceed expectations either. i will say this though, if he had the opportunity of playing behind our oline from 2004 or 2005, he would have been much more productive.

i don't think 2006 was all that weak. Holmes was very productive with us, "Super productive" actually. Willie Colon, when healthy, is a solid RT.

we haven't had a true first round bust since 1999, Troy Edwards. but in that draft, we were able to salvage that bust by taking Joey Porter and Aaron Smith.

Ha. Was going to post the same thing. Good thing I kept reading.

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 05:30 PM

The thing that is so different this day and age is "SOCIAL MEDIA" . All of us diehards have internet access these days, watch YOUTUBE clips of players, watch the NFL combine on TV, It seems us "COACHES":chuckle: seem to know more now than ever before. I think this draft looks great on paper, and we filled a lot of our glaring needs. If DeCastro can play and Adams can stay away from the weed, our offensive line has the "POTENTIAL" to be good for a long time.

dyce23
04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I tried telling people that our drafts under Tomlin haven't been that great, but everyone just disagrees with me. I think Cowher and Colbert were a better draft team, but the thing is, Tomlin's only been here a few years. When I say something like that, it isn't meant to belittle Tomlin or act like he can't get the job done. There's still a lot of time left to see everything pan out of fall flat. This draft looks great on paper, and I'm super excited for these guys in the next few years, but '08 felt the same way to me. I'm willing to let it play out, and trust our front office to make it work. We are still pretty much money with first rounders, though. I know Mendy isn't what we all thought he was, but he wasn't a bust either, so I think we still have the best track record in the league with 1st rounders.

Steelersfan87
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Nobody can fault the Steelers for taking Sweed in 2008. It was a great value and he still has lots of talent. I truly wish somebody would give him a chance. He had basically one season and had a couple drops, plus one drop in Cincy the next year, before Wallace overtook him, and then he was pretty much never used again. His 2010 was wiped out by injury, and he struggled with injuries in 2011 too before they let him go. He deserves another chance to prove himself. And they knew they were taking a risk with Davis. It's always a risk when you try to take a lineman and get him to stand up. Tony Hills has some ability, and he started to show it before they let him go too. He would be a valuable backup as a 4th rounder, but the Steelers didn't need him any more (and certainly don't need him now). After the 4 round, it's mostly a crapshoot. They did get Ryan Mundy, who is a valuable backup with some starting experience, and plays some in dime packages as well as on special teams.

Mendenhall is not done, either. It's not out of the question that he's even there week 1, though it's unlikely. He has a better offensive line now than ever. He would be the best RB on the roster with a quality offensive line. Redman just has a better skill set for a bad line. It's not written in stone that this is his last year as a Steeler, either. A lot of that will depend on what he does this year, what they expect him to be able to do the year after, and what his contract demands are.

TheVet
04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
A lot depends on what "a bust" means. Whether he's a bust or not, I think we'd all like a do-over on Mendenhall - Even in his healthy years, I don't think that he's ever been the best back on our roster.

Yes, I'd say that 2008 qualifies as a horrible draft - disappointments top to bottom, except for Mundy.

TheVet
04-30-2012, 04:18 PM
2009 would have been better if we hadn't given up on Kraig Urbik. He would be a guard along side of Pouncey this up coming season. Oh, well can't win them all.:noidea:

I know that Kraig Urbik is starting for BUF, but is he actually any good? You would think that any solid NFL-caliber guard would have been able to earn some playing time given the state of our line the past five years - journeymen held together with duct tape and chicken wire. What's the story with Urbik?

TheVet
04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
As for Sweed, he needs to catch a break on a team with a better QB. Ben kept hitting him in the wrong place - his hands. :)

Fire Arians
04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
pretty shitty drafts, we're a championship contender every year.

Steelersfan87
04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
I know that Kraig Urbik is starting for BUF, but is he actually any good? You would think that any solid NFL-caliber guard would have been able to earn some playing time given the state of our line the past five years - journeymen held together with duct tape and chicken wire. What's the story with Urbik?

He is good. He would be starting for the Steelers right now. They only gave him one season and a training camp.

ricardisimo
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
I think this thread is pretty much a failure. "Up until this year"? What? We won't have any bad drafts from here on out? They've all been awful up to now? All of this year's draft picks will have great careers? The levels of inanity present here boggle the mind.

2008 was sub-par, true. 2006 was just fine. Most of the rest have been very good to excellent. If you can get one starter and a few backups you're doing alright, especially when the starters are as good as ours have been, Pro Bowlers and Super Bowl MVPs and such.

Move along now folks... nothing to see here. Show's over.

dyce23
04-30-2012, 10:11 PM
I think this thread is pretty much a failure. "Up until this year"? What? We won't have any bad drafts from here on out? They've all been awful up to now? All of this year's draft picks will have great careers? The levels of inanity present here boggle the mind.

2008 was sub-par, true. 2006 was just fine. Most of the rest have been very good to excellent. If you can get one starter and a few backups you're doing alright, especially when the starters are as good as ours have been, Pro Bowlers and Super Bowl MVPs and such.

Move along now folks... nothing to see here. Show's over.

I don't think anyone was making the case that we've had nothing but awful drafts up until now. I think people just want to wait and see what this year's picks bring to the table, because we all remember being almost as hyped for the 2008 draft as well. I can't speak for others, but all I'm saying is that our draft looks GREAT on paper, and I hope it translates to the field, but let's let that happen first before we start crowning this draft the best in years. However, with that said, on paper, we killed the draft this year!

StevieRayVol
05-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I wasn't trying to say all our drafts had been "AWFUL" but you got to admit...This has been the first draft "AT LEAST ON PAPER" where everyone is pretty much pleased with "EVERY PICK". And that is a rarity. In the mid 90's we DID have some awful drafts and even in the 80's under Coach Noll's watch..http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm.We had some bad drafts there at the end...Hey, I'm a Steeler to the day I die, I'm just saying: This is one draft ONE PAPER at least, It looks like we filled our needs and nobody is complaining.

ricardisimo
05-01-2012, 01:02 AM
OK, but not being pleased with every single pick is not the same as having horrible drafts. We've been spoiled under Colbert, and anything less than what - on paper - this year's draft looks like so far is considered "horrible". C'mon... it's unrealistic to ask an already great team to do much better than a starter and a few back-ups per draft. Part of the reason this draft looks so good is that age has actually opened spots for people.

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 01:06 AM
OK, but not being pleased with every single pick is not the same as having horrible drafts. We've been spoiled under Colbert, and anything less than what - on paper - this year's draft looks like so far is considered "horrible". C'mon... it's unrealistic to ask an already great team to do much better than a starter and a few back-ups per draft. Part of the reason this draft looks so good is that age has actually opened spots for people.

Excellent point.

StevieRayVol
05-01-2012, 01:15 AM

Ok...:drink: Truce, This draft "ON PAPER" has me really excited as it addresses some needs. The offensive line and a replacement for Hampton and Farrior/Foote down the road. Plus the key pickup of Rainy in the later rounds. Just really stoked about this draft. And if DeCastro and Adams work their way into the starting lineup, Ben suddenly becomes the OLDEST STARTER on offense at 30....And that alone should be scary for the rest of the NFL.

ricardisimo
05-01-2012, 02:19 AM
:drink:

steelerchad
05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
I wasn't trying to say all our drafts had been "AWFUL" but you got to admit...This has been the first draft "AT LEAST ON PAPER" where everyone is pretty much pleased with "EVERY PICK". And that is a rarity. In the mid 90's we DID have some awful drafts and even in the 80's under Coach Noll's watch..http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm.We had some bad drafts there at the end...Hey, I'm a Steeler to the day I die, I'm just saying: This is one draft ONE PAPER at least, It looks like we filled our needs and nobody is complaining.

The only reason people are pleased is because we filled our 3 most glaring needs. Oline, Nose Tackle, ILB. The Steelers did nothing different. They took BPA. It just so happens that BPA happened to fill needs as guys that weren't suppossed to be there when we picked fell to us at spots that were also a need. A little lucky, I'd say as the only move we made was to move up in the 4th for TaAmu.

Chances are only 2 of the top 5 picks will end up being solid starters anyway. I know it seems impossible, but the chances that everyone of these guys lives up to their potential is minute.

All that being said, I think the Steelers were near perfect with their choices. They've given themselves the best chance to be successful.

ricardisimo
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Although I'm not under the delusion that this year's draft rivals '74 - a thought many here seem to be entertaining - I also don't think it's "impossible" or even unlikely that we could get more than two solid starters out of it. Why not? We might get three or four out of last year's, and no one is nearly as high on it. Let's call DeCastro a lock for now. Ta'amu and Adams are probably better than 50/50 to progress and earn spots, wouldn't you say?

Sixburgher
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Not to mention when you're drafting in the mid 20s or lower pretty much EVERY year.

GMU Steeler
05-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Not to mention when you're drafting in the mid 20s or lower pretty much EVERY year.

Goes to show you how good Colbert is at his job. I think he's better than Belichick is in NE. Everyone gets on Belichick's jock but his record scouting for talent since Pioli left for KC is in my opinion inferior to that of Colbert's. I think if Colbert heaven forbid went on the market, fans of many teams would be jumping at the ropes to hire him. Fans of other teams hate us because we're consistently successful and our drafts/scouting is a huge part of that aforementioned success.

TheVet
05-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Nobody hits the ball out of the park every time, but the Steelers consistently draft a lot better than most. I think we can all agree that 2008 was an anomaly in an otherwise very strong record over the past decade.

Nearly every draft has its disappointments. But having said that, something feels really special about this draft. Perhaps its simply the serendipity of many different factors coming together. This draft has great athletes lining up perfectly with big needs. And it's all happening against the backdrop of a new Offensive Coordinator, and a great QB about to enter his prime with the possibility of a real infrastructure.

I don't remember being this excited for the future since I saw Ben play in his first preseason game after two decades of placeholders at QB.

ebsteelers
05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
how are people considering mendy a bust?

dont get me wrong im a bigger fan of redman any way

but wont say mendhall is a bust.. considering the average nfl life of an rb...

but 2 season of over 1100 yards with our bad o line

maybe would of went over 1000 this year if he didnt get hurt last game..

a lot of teams would be happy if they could get that kind of productive out of there number 1 pick.

i would say mendy stacks up pretty well compared to the other first round rbs in that draft..

mcfadden, stewart, jones, and chris johnson after is the only one really better.. and consider how bad our o line is

and overall from that round 1 draft lots of busts , gholston, derrick harvey, there a bunch more but we could be here a while..

hindsight is always 20-20 but of the guys drafted after mendy no one really sticks out to me except maybe brown who could sure up our o line

madtowndrunkard
05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I would expect a solid draft to be 2 solid starters or 1 probowler and some depth. A great draft would be 3+ starters. Bad draft would be zero starters. 2008 was by far the most disappointing draft, but we did get Mendy who has been a solid RB. Steelers drafts the past 10 years:

Rnd Name College Note
1 Cameron Heyward Ohio State STARTER
2 Marcus Gilbert Florida STARTER
3 Curtis Brown Texas
4 Cortez Allen Citadel
5 Chris Carter Fresno State
7 Baron Batch Texas Tech

Rnd Name College Note
1 Maurkice Pouncey Florida Probowler
2 Jason Worilds Virginia Tech
3 Emmanuel Sanders SMU Starter
4 Thaddeus Gibson Ohio State
5 Chris Scott Tennessee
5 Crezdon Butler Clemson
5 Stevenson Sylvester Utah
6 Jonathan Dwyer Georgia Tech
6 Antonio Brown Central Michigan Probowler
7 Doug Worthington Ohio State

Rnd Name College Note
1 Evander Hood Missouri STARTER
3 Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
3 Mike Wallace Mississippi Probowler
3 Keenan Lewis Oregon State
5 Joe Burnett Central Florida
5 Frank Summers UNLV
6 Ra'Shon Harris Oregon
7 A.Q. Shipley Penn State
7 David Johnson Arkansas State

Rnd Name College Note
1 Rashard Mendenhall Illinois Starter
2 Limas Sweed Texas
3 Bruce Davis UCLA
4 Tony Hills Texas
5 Dennis Dixon Oregon solid backup
6 Mike Humpal Iowa
6 Ryan Mundy West Virginia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Lawrence Timmons Florida State Probowler
2 LaMarr Woodley Michigan Probowler
3 Matt Spaeth Minnesota
4 Daniel Sepulveda Baylor STARTER
4 Ryan McBean Oklahoma State
5 Cameron Stephenson Rutgers
5 William Gay Louisville STARTER
7 Dallas Baker Florida

Rnd Name College Note
1 Santonio Holmes Ohio State Probowler
3 Anthony Smith Syracuse Starter
3 Willie Reid Florida State
4 Willie Colon Hofstra Starter
4 Orien Harris Miami (FL)
5 Omar Jacobs Bowling Green
5 Charles Davis Purdue
6 Marvin Philip California
7 Cedric Humes Virginia Tech

Rnd Name College Note
1 Heath Miller Virginia Probowler
2 Bryant McFadden Florida State Starter
3 Trai Essex Northwestern Starter
4 Fred Gibson Georgia
5 Rian Wallace Temple
6 Chris Kemoeatu Utah Starter
7 Shaun Nua Brigham Young
7 Noah Herron Northwestern

Rnd Name College Note
1 Ben Roethlisberger Miami (OH) Prbowler
2 Ricardo Colclough Tusculum Starter
3 Max Starks Florida Starter
5 Nathaniel Adibi Virginia Tech
6 Bo Lacy Arkansas
6 Matt Kranchick Penn State
6 Drew Caylor Stanford
7 Eric Taylor Memphis

Rnd Name College Note
1 Troy Polamalu USC Probowler
2 Alonzo Jackson Florida State
4 Ivan Taylor Louisiana-Lafayette
5 Brian St. Pierre Boston College
7 J.T. Wall Georgia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Kendall Simmons Auburn Starter
2 Antwaan Randle El Indiana Starter
3 Chris Hope Florida State Starter
4 Larry Foote Michigan Starter
5 Verron Haynes Georgia
6 Lee Mays Texas-El Paso
7 LaVar Glover Cincinnati
7 Brett Keisel Brigham Young Starter

GMU Steeler
05-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I would expect a solid draft to be 2 solid starters or 1 probowler and some depth. A great draft would be 3+ starters. Bad draft would be zero starters. 2008 was by far the most disappointing draft, but we did get Mendy who has been a solid RB. Steelers drafts the past 10 years:

Rnd Name College Note
1 Cameron Heyward Ohio State STARTER
2 Marcus Gilbert Florida STARTER
3 Curtis Brown Texas
4 Cortez Allen Citadel
5 Chris Carter Fresno State
7 Baron Batch Texas Tech

Rnd Name College Note
1 Maurkice Pouncey Florida Probowler
2 Jason Worilds Virginia Tech
3 Emmanuel Sanders SMU Starter
4 Thaddeus Gibson Ohio State
5 Chris Scott Tennessee
5 Crezdon Butler Clemson
5 Stevenson Sylvester Utah
6 Jonathan Dwyer Georgia Tech
6 Antonio Brown Central Michigan Probowler
7 Doug Worthington Ohio State

Rnd Name College Note
1 Evander Hood Missouri STARTER
3 Kraig Urbik Wisconsin
3 Mike Wallace Mississippi Probowler
3 Keenan Lewis Oregon State
5 Joe Burnett Central Florida
5 Frank Summers UNLV
6 Ra'Shon Harris Oregon
7 A.Q. Shipley Penn State
7 David Johnson Arkansas State

Rnd Name College Note
1 Rashard Mendenhall Illinois Starter
2 Limas Sweed Texas
3 Bruce Davis UCLA
4 Tony Hills Texas
5 Dennis Dixon Oregon solid backup
6 Mike Humpal Iowa
6 Ryan Mundy West Virginia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Lawrence Timmons Florida State Probowler
2 LaMarr Woodley Michigan Probowler
3 Matt Spaeth Minnesota
4 Daniel Sepulveda Baylor STARTER
4 Ryan McBean Oklahoma State
5 Cameron Stephenson Rutgers
5 William Gay Louisville STARTER
7 Dallas Baker Florida

Rnd Name College Note
1 Santonio Holmes Ohio State Probowler
3 Anthony Smith Syracuse Starter
3 Willie Reid Florida State
4 Willie Colon Hofstra Starter
4 Orien Harris Miami (FL)
5 Omar Jacobs Bowling Green
5 Charles Davis Purdue
6 Marvin Philip California
7 Cedric Humes Virginia Tech

Rnd Name College Note
1 Heath Miller Virginia Probowler
2 Bryant McFadden Florida State Starter
3 Trai Essex Northwestern Starter
4 Fred Gibson Georgia
5 Rian Wallace Temple
6 Chris Kemoeatu Utah Starter
7 Shaun Nua Brigham Young
7 Noah Herron Northwestern

Rnd Name College Note
1 Ben Roethlisberger Miami (OH) Prbowler
2 Ricardo Colclough Tusculum Starter
3 Max Starks Florida Starter
5 Nathaniel Adibi Virginia Tech
6 Bo Lacy Arkansas
6 Matt Kranchick Penn State
6 Drew Caylor Stanford
7 Eric Taylor Memphis

Rnd Name College Note
1 Troy Polamalu USC Probowler
2 Alonzo Jackson Florida State
4 Ivan Taylor Louisiana-Lafayette
5 Brian St. Pierre Boston College
7 J.T. Wall Georgia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Kendall Simmons Auburn Starter
2 Antwaan Randle El Indiana Starter
3 Chris Hope Florida State Starter
4 Larry Foote Michigan Starter
5 Verron Haynes Georgia
6 Lee Mays Texas-El Paso
7 LaVar Glover Cincinnati
7 Brett Keisel Brigham Young Starter

Good list but I wanted to point out that "Ivan Taylor" is Ike Taylor who is a starter. Agree with your criteria for success.

ricardisimo
05-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Good list but I wanted to point out that "Ivan Taylor" is Ike Taylor who is a starter. Agree with your criteria for success.
And I don't remember Colclough ever starting, except perhaps some emergency. Add Ike, subtract Colclough and you break even.

TheVet
05-04-2012, 01:22 AM
how are people considering mendy a bust?

dont get me wrong im a bigger fan of redman any way

but wont say mendhall is a bust.. considering the average nfl life of an rb...

You said it all right there. He's only "a bust" in the sense that he wasn't worth a #1 pick. Sure, he's an OK NFL back, but Redman has consistently been more productive with less opportunity - and he was undrafted.

If there was a do-over, do you think the Steelers would draft him again at #1? Me neither.