PDA

View Full Version : Toney Clemons: Guy might be a steal in the 7th round.

StevieRayVol
04-29-2012, 01:35 AM
According to Kevin Colbert, The kid is from the Pittsburgh area, went to Michigan, transferred to Colorado and got on the field this year. Had LOTS of different coaches, But with his size and speed he has POTENTIAL to help us...His game field looks pretty good:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ZlTljJXjw:tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
04-29-2012, 01:53 AM
Toney Clemons is a tall WR at 6'2" and he ran a 4.36 at his Pro Day, those are some outstanding measurables!

Latest News

04/02/2012 - Pro days can lead to pay days in the NFL. One head-turning performance by a college standout can draw that fine line between the beginnings of a pro career and selling insurance for a living. Valley grad Toney Clemons had one of those attention-grabbing pro days earlier this month in Boulder, Colo., and it could have unlocked a door into the NFL. "It came down to 80 yards," said Clemons, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound wide receiver who wasn't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine but played in a senior all-star game in Arkansas. "Two 40 (-yard dashes). I had a quiet confidence and was ready to compete that day." The Colorado grad blistered the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds -- the fastest 40 time in the former track star's career. "Officially, it's the fastest," said Clemons, 23. "You have some great athletes running the 10 split in 1.50 or 1.49. I did it in 1.47. You want to be able to perform when it counts most."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272558

Blackout
04-29-2012, 02:43 AM
I really hope to see this guy live up to the potential. Loved watching those highlights.

Steelersfan87
04-29-2012, 04:25 AM
He could really be a steal. He did not have much structure and stability in college, stunting his potential growth. I think he possesses enormous value for a 7th round pick based on his high ceiling. You can't teach speed and height, and it's rare to have both.

steeltheone
04-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Another 7th round " steal " lets hope so!

SouthTexasSteel
04-29-2012, 06:33 AM
I've read that he can't hold on to the football... Do we have us a Clifford Franklin?? :chuckle:

fer522
04-29-2012, 07:20 AM
I've read that he can't hold on to the football... Do we have us a Clifford Franklin?? :chuckle:

Not another Limas Sweet:chuckle:

Mistah_Q
04-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Not another Limas Sweed:chuckle:

Basically. But better in the 7th than the 2nd. If we can get this guy holding on to the ball, it's a great pick -- if not, it's a seventh rounder.

The only locks on the roster at WR are Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery -- and that's assuming Wallace doesn't hold out or some other such. There's definitely an opportunity for the kid in camp -- so now we wait and see.

MDSteel15
04-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Let's hope he is the next "healthy" Marques Colston!

Kingmagyar
04-30-2012, 10:38 AM
What Toney Clemons and even Marquiz Maze are up against past the top 4 locks.

Connor Dixon -Duquesne 6'4" 200 ran a low 4.49 but official 40 was 4.59 UDFA 2012
Wes Lyons - 6'8" listed as TE on depth chart but probably would still take a receiver spot if making the team.
Tyler Beiler -4.39 40 time! 40.5 verticle jump! from that jugernaut powerhouse college Bridgewater.
David Gilbreath - 169lbs? KR but can't find much more.
Juamorris Stewart - 6'1" 205 age 25 college southern 4.58 40 time.
Derrick Williams -Penn state 4.65 40
Jimmy Young -Texas Christian that's all I know.

Both Clemons and Maze have a real good chance of beating out that crop short of Lyons or Beiler doing something special.

MrAustin412
04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
I called Clemons "a bigger AB" when I watched some film on him. I like him a lot.

http://www.fourthandtwelve.com/2012/04/steelers-day-3-draft-recap.html

Hawaii 5-0
05-02-2012, 06:22 PM
7th-Rounder Toney Clemons Now Has Our Attention

Posted on May 2, 2012 by ryan

On paper, the Steelers had one of their best drafts in recent memory. Still, with training camp a couple months off, they’re looking for depth at wide receiver. Mike Wallace is taking his sweet time signing his tender, but I expect him to eventually put pen to paper. Then there’s Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. And that was the depth chart until Pittsburgh used a seventh-round pick on Colorado wideout Toney Clemons.

Having never seen (or heard of) Clemons, I reflexively pegged him as a camp body and, best-case scenario, a candidate for the practice squad. But after reading CBSSports.com’s Chuck Finder, I’m thinking the Steelers may have stumbled onto another late-round gem. First, the details from Finder:

“Toney Clemons, who transferred from Michigan to Colorado and played for four head coaches, is just finding himself. Look at ‘Southern Cal and Utah [tape], it jumps off the screen at you,’ coach Mike Tomlin said of two of Clemons’ final four collegiate games. ‘He made some combat catches downfield with DBs in position.’”

“Clemons has height (6-2), drive, personality and athletic ability that make him a good value. The heck with a big target for Big Ben Roethlisberger — at least Clemons could be a special-teams addition. ‘The thing that stands out is, he is a gym rat, he is competitive,’ Tomlin said.”

To recap: not only may have the Steelers stumbled across another quality wide receiver, but they’re apparently very serious about upgrading the offensive line and special teams. (Fifth-rounder Chris Rainey isn’t just a dangerous return man, he had six blocked punts during his college career; Pittsburgh also signed Georgia punter Drew Butler as an undrafted free agent.)

This team has totally reinvented itself in less than a week.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/05/7th-rounder-toney-clemons-could-be-special/