PDA

View Full Version : Walter Football Steelers Draft Grade

pittpete
04-29-2012, 11:09 AM
2012 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

24. David DeCastro, G, Stanford: A+ Grade
Unbelievable. The Steelers somehow land a guy who could be the top guard in the NFL over the next decade. David DeCastro could have gone as high as No. 11. It's really amazing how smart organizations like Pittsburgh can take advantage of dumb teams making stupid decisions year after year. This is the best pick of the 2012 NFL Draft thus far.

56. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State: A Grade
Mike Adams wouldn't be good on most teams. He has work ethic issues and has had some problems off the field. However, going to a strong locker room like Pittsburgh's is the best thing that could have happened to him. He's talented - he would have been taken in the first round if he were clean - and the Steelers will get the most out of him. He fills a big need at tackle. Ben Roethlisberger has to be thrilled right now.

86. Sean Spence, OLB, Miami: C Grade
I loved Pittsburgh's first two picks, but I don't quite understand this one. Sean Spence is talented and should have been picked a bit earlier than this, but I don't get how he fits into the Steelers' 3-4 defense. He's more of a Cover-2 outside linebacker. I trust the Steelers though, so it would't surprise me if this pick panned out.

109. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington: A+ Grade
Fantastic pick. Alameda Ta'amu was once considered a first-round prospect, but his true value was in Round 2-3. Getting him here in Round 4 is a steal, and the Steelers are filling a huge need in the process. They had to find a nose tackle to eventually take over for Casey Hampton.

159. Chris Rainey, RB/KR, Florida: B+ Grade
Chris Rainey can go the distance on any play. The Steelers haven't had someone like that in their backfield since Willie Parker. They still need to obtain another running back because of Rashard Mendenhall's injury.

231. Toney Clemons, WR, Colorado: B- Grade
Toney Clemons was going to be a priority UDFA, but the Steelers could have made a better selection. It's Round 7 though, so it's not a big deal.

240. David Paulson, TE, Oregon: B- Grade
The Steelers signed Leonard Pope, but they apparently aren't done with their tight ends. This doesn't fill a need, but it's the right range for David Paulson.

246. Terrence Frederick, DT, Texas A&M: B Grade
The Steelers haven't addressed defensive line depth yet. Terrence Frederick was a borderline draftable prospect, so this is pick makes sense.

248. Kelvin Beachum, G, SMU: B Grade
More offensive line depth, which is something the Steelers needed. Kelvin Beachum would have been a priority UDFA, so Pittsburgh is making sure it landed him before anyone else did.

fer522
04-29-2012, 11:18 AM
On paper this was a very very good draft
I give it a solid A

steeltheone
04-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The te seems run of the mill and the kid from Miami is questionable..

tony hipchest
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
The Steelers haven't addressed defensive line depth yet. Terrence Frederick was a borderline draftable prospect, so this is pick makes sense.

fail.

this guy is a cornerback. i expect more from a draft guide.

55BaileyFan
04-29-2012, 01:42 PM

fail.

this guy is a cornerback. i expect more from a draft guide.

Yeah. People need to pay attention more.

Love the DeCastro pick; if the Steelers can keep Adams in line he was a steal in the late second; Spence is a question mark for me...but what is a draft without the Steelers taking a linebacker; Ta'amu is one of the biggest steals in this draft; Rainey is a great pick, Fredrick...will he even make the roster?; Clemons could be a great five guy; Beachum probably won't make the roster, way undersized.

tony hipchest
04-29-2012, 01:49 PM
beachum is a long snapper and probably has a better chance to knock gregg warren off the roster than any 7th round or UDFA linemen ranked ahead of him would have knocking off any of our current starters or depth players.

55BaileyFan
04-29-2012, 01:53 PM
beachum is a long snapper and probably has a better chance to knock gregg warren off the roster than any 7th round or UDFA linemen ranked ahead of him would have knocking off any of our current starters or depth players.

Yeah didn't even think of that. The rookie minimum is 330-375k and Warren should be around veteran minimum which is like 1M (or there abouts) Good eye on that.

Steelersfan87
04-29-2012, 06:46 PM
The Steelers only have 4 CBs, so Frederick has a good chance of making the roster.

GBMelBlount
04-29-2012, 06:51 PM
On paper this was a very very good draft
I give it a solid A

I completely agree.

Our offensive line was bottom 5 in the league and we got two outstanding linemen at great values.

We got a great value at NT and Spence could certainly be an upgrade over Foote once he learns the position.

After that it is a complete crap shoot anyway.

Happiest I have been with a draft in a long time.

MDSteel15
04-30-2012, 07:29 AM
I predict at least 7, that's right mark it down, S-E-V-E-N of these picks make our roster!!!

ANDYMISIU
04-30-2012, 08:20 AM
This was an awesome draft! I was kicking and screaming for Ta'amu with our 3rd pick, when we got him in the 4th..... I just couldn't believe it. This was an amazing draft for the Steelers.

steelerchad
04-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah didn't even think of that. The rookie minimum is 330-375k and Warren should be around veteran minimum which is like 1M (or there abouts) Good eye on that.

Not to mention at 252lbs. Warren won't be doing anything else for this team. Beachum at 300+ lbs could play a little o-line if we have a rash of injuries.

Steelerindc
04-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Most guys that come out of Miami are solid football players and since he's a LB, I can only hope he talks to No.52 in B'more.