PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger 'excited' about Steelers O-line draft focus

mesaSteeler
04-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Ben Roethlisberger 'excited' about Steelers O-line draft focus
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bdb32/article/ben-roethlisberger-excited-about-steelers-oline-draft-focus

After an offseason of offensive overhaul, Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is happy with the team's O-line focus in NFL Draft, the Altoona Mirror reported.

"I'm really excited," Big Ben said at a speaking engagement on Saturday. "We got some good guys on offense and defense to help add to a team that was good already."

Roethlisberger said he was thrilled the team picked up Stanford guard David DeCastro in the first round and Ohio State tackle Mike Adams in the second round. The Steelers added Southern Methodist tackle Kelvin Beachum in the seventh round.

"You know, at least on paper, it looks awesome," Roethlisberger said. "But you never know until you take the field and the bullets start flying."

Offensive line was a top priority for the Steelers in the draft as the team has consistently been in the lower half of the league in sacks allowed.

The Steelers' offensive line is in flux, dealing with the addition of former Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley as offensive coordinator and parting with longtime guard Chris Kemoeatu.

"When DeCastro was there, you got to take him," Roethlisberger said. "Some are saying he's one of the best guards in college since (nine-time Pro Bowler and former Steeler) Alan Faneca. We hope he can live up to the hype."

TRH
04-29-2012, 08:59 PM
i'd be excited too if i spent the last couple seasons either on my back or running for my life....

mesaSteeler
04-29-2012, 09:56 PM
"Some are saying he's one of the best guards in college since (nine-time Pro Bowler and former Steeler) Alan Faneca. We hope he can live up to the hype."

A vet challenge to the rookie?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2012, 11:22 PM
I was thinking that Sean Kugler must be just giddy. He gets back Willie Colon and now has 4 young O linemen drafted in the first 2 rounds of their respective drafts.

Plus you add some vets like Foster, Legursky, Essex and maybe Jon Scott or Chris Scott and he's got guys to work with and build a strong offensive front. The only concern is that Adams is a bit lacking of the nasty that the rest of the guys have, but they cant all be perfect.

Fire Arians
04-30-2012, 12:49 PM
i'd be excited too if i spent the last couple seasons either on my back or running for my life....

this lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Lets think of this now and have some fun. Even with this improved O line, I bet Ben still gets sacked at least 35 times this year. Its the way he plays, not so much the O line.

The wildcard is if the new offense doesnt lend him to improvising as much.

FrancoLambert
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I was thinking that Sean Kugler must be just giddy. He gets back Willie Colon and now has 4 young O linemen drafted in the first 2 rounds of their respective drafts.

Plus you add some vets like Foster, Legursky, Essex and maybe Jon Scott or Chris Scott and he's got guys to work with and build a strong offensive front. The only concern is that Adams is a bit lacking of the nasty that the rest of the guys have, but they cant all be perfect.

Let's hope the new faces and healthy faces on the O-line allow Legursky, the Scotts, Foster, and Essex to return to their normal roles, as backups and spot starters.
They're very good at that.
But not so good when they made up our entire starting front.

Dalarin
05-01-2012, 04:10 AM

Gilbert hasn't been very "nasty" at all. He seems to be a very technical blocker in both the run and the pass. I like that from a left tackle though.

VaDave
05-01-2012, 07:40 AM

LOL!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Gilbert hasn't been very "nasty" at all. He seems to be a very technical blocker in both the run and the pass. I like that from a left tackle though.

Maybe not Nasty in the true sense, but he " finishes" blocks, which appears to be aggressive.

Adams on the other hand appears at times to absorb himself in the defender and not finish well. Something else for Kugs to drill into him.

FanSince72
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM

^This^

Hawaii 5-0
05-03-2012, 02:41 AM
Rookie OG David DeCastro Mistakes Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger for Travel Secretary

by Neal Coolong on May 1, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3894377/20120427_jel_ap4_149_extra_large.jpg

Steelers first round draft pick David DeCastro is known for being a serious guy.

Now that he's become the highest-drafted Steelers guard in a long time, he's got no time to waste. That's probably why, when contacted by the man he'll protect, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, DeCastro didn't ask him about the offense or extend platitudes about the two-time Super Bowl champion's career.

DeCastro asked him if Roethlisberger had received his flight plans for his impending arrival.

It's safe to assume most NFL quarterbacks aren't mistaken for NFL team travel coordinators, but that's what Buck Frank of the Altoona Mirror said, quoting Roethlisberger from 25th anniversary of the Blair County Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

"He just kept saying 'did you get those travel plans, did you get those travel plans," Roethlisberger said. "I can't wait once we get started on him about that."

It's definitely a man bites dog story. The rookies typically have some kind of initiation to the team, like, carrying bags or buying food.

Falcons veteran offensive tackle Tyson Clabo tweeted after his team drafted Wisconsin offensive lineman Peter Konz in the second round, "Peter Konz...... Welcome and on Fridays I like Chick-fil-a chicken biscuits." It's safe to say DeCastro will make a run or two to Sheetz for some pretzel bread chicken sandwiches anyway, but this story will likely get him to pull a carried bag or two.

It's likely something DeCastro will hear about off and on for the rest of his career, which looks to be an outstanding one.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/1/2990849/steelers-nfl-draft-david-decastro-ben-roethlisberger

AndyWitmyer
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Altoona Mirror reported.

I'm just surprised that my local newspaper was quoted on nfl.com - seriously, most people don't even know Altoona exists, much less has a newspaper hahaha

Curtain_of_Steel
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
If push came to sholve, Ben probably wouldve went and picked him up. lol Of course the first question prior to picking him up is would be. Hey Decastro, your aware its not a good thing when your SB QB is on his back right? He answers it right, go get his ass. ,

Ricco Suavez
05-04-2012, 07:11 PM
The Steelers led the league in O-line combinations this past season. Injuries, guys in the wrong place, and guys just not getting the job done led to Kugler trying anything and everything. This is one reason our line was so bad, no continuity, no daily practices together to learn to work as a unit. Hopefully we settle on a combination early and jell as the season progresses. As far as Ben holding the ball I expect to see more options from Haley than Arians had, hopefully some reliable hot reads and dump offs.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-04-2012, 08:20 PM
"Guys were in the wrong place" Yea, they were on the OLINE, lol They certainly didnt belong there, lol

Sixburgher
05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
"You know, at least on paper, it looks awesome," Roethlisberger said. "But you never know until you take the field and the bullets start flying."

I wonder how this comment will be twisted into another "boneheaded" statement by Ben? :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 08:56 PM

I wonder how this comment will be twisted into another "boneheaded" statement by Ben? :rolleyes:too bad he didnt show the same diplomacy when he was asked about working with a new OC. of course it is above ben to say he was excited and up for the challenge w/o his buddy arians.

anyways, you ben apologists can cool down.

faneca took the same heat when he wasnt "excited" to work with the rookie ben. we went on to win a championship, and faneca was shown the door when his contract expired 3 years later.

Sixburgher
05-04-2012, 09:12 PM
anyways, you ben apologists can cool down.

Failure to dissect every sentence that comes out of his mouth, blowing them completely out of proportion and then crucifying him for them doesn't make one an apologist.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Your up and down Tony, lol Good ben, bad ben, lol

Ben didnt have to make a positive statement, he wasn't consulted, nor did the Rooneys care to ask him. Should they have? Im on the fence with it. Personally I think they should've talked to him about it, he is the franchise QB. Other teams potentially have done it. Good or bad, BA and BB had a great relationship. Probably hurt the play calling at times? Who knows, but point blank, BA had to go. Especially after 4 strraight short yardage losses with that fool Mendy on the goalline.
BB was troubled by it, troubled by the way ot went down. The Steelers funbled the balll on the handoff, thats for sure, they could not even get their story straight on releasing BA. Back tracked all over. He retired, he didnt retire, he is sick, he iwasnt sick. blah blah
Haley couldve called Ben and introduced himself, he had to know this was going to be an issue. But Haley choose to sell out his QB and play the waiting BS game. Ineffect, Ben is an employee, Haley was management, Haley got off free on this argument, he shouldve called Ben.

As far as Faneca goes, he shouldve stood up and apologized when Ben delivered him one hell of a season, and a SB ring to follow. He got the kick in the ass and banished to the shit hole in North Jersey, lol He had no problem taking the money and playing for Sanchez, one of the worst QB's in the league, now did he?

I'll take a good oline on paper, because right now what we had was an online in the shitter.

Hawaii 5-0
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Most improved units: AFC

After the draft and free agency, these three teams seem much better

Originally Published: May 4, 2012
By Gary Horton | Scouts Inc.

With the NFL draft and the better portion of free agency behind us, most teams have made their biggest moves to improve their rosters for the 2012 season. Looking at the additions so far, I see several units that have been improved this offseason. On Thursday, I examined those units in the NFC. Today, let's take a look at the AFC, focusing on the upgrades by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Unit: Offensive line

This unit has been an ongoing problem for this organization for years, but they may have finally fixed this group after this draft. When you are forced to use 25 O-line combinations and give up 42 sacks, as the Steelers did in 2011, there is clearly work to be done.

They drafted the best interior offensive lineman in the draft, G David DeCastro, in the first round and came back in the second round and selected RT Mike Adams, a talented player with some off-the-field baggage. Both should be immediate starters. When you envision DeCastro playing next to talented center Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers should have a dominating interior run-blocking and pass-protection duo. Even though QB Ben Roethlisberger is prone to extending plays with his feet and taking big hits, DeCastro and Adams should lessen the number of unnecessary shots he gets.

RT Marcus Gilbert will likely move to left tackle to make room for Adams, which gives the Steelers four outstanding young players who can grow and improve together.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story?id=7889623&_slug_=pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-line-offseason-most-improved-units-nfl&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fstory%3fid%3d7889623%26_slug_%3dpittsburgh-steelers-offensive-line-offseason-most-improved-units-nfl

Steel_Bus_24
05-05-2012, 07:01 PM
^^^These guys obviously don't follow the Steelers coaching staff much

I would be utterly shocked if Adams supplants Colon at RT......Its like an obsession with our coaches to keep Colon at RT.......Like how Cowher had to have Sean Morey around

Steelersfan87
05-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Colon is a good RT, so it kind of makes sense to keep him there for now..

Hawaii 5-0
05-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Tomlin wants team’s rookies to be flexible

By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, May 5, 2012

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin had first-round pick David DeCastro at right guard and second-round pick Mike Adams at left tackle during the first two days of rookie minicamp.

Tomlin said Saturday that not much should be read into where some of the high draft choices are initially slotted.

“We value the concept of position flexibility,” Tomlin said. “You have to start somewhere. These guys who are going to be viable candidates, they are going to have more than one skill set, and of course, we will get to a point where we will see who can do multiple things.”

Tomlin wants the rookies to be comfortable with their position during rookie minicamp. That’s why he had yet to move players into a position they are unfamiliar with.

“DeCastro is a right guard at Stanford, and that’s where he starts here and the same can be said about Mike Adams. He was a left tackle at Ohio State, and that’s where he begins here,” Tomlin said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1293428-85/rookie-tomlin-minicamp-rainey-steelers-dixon-learning-mike-nfl-position

tanda10506
05-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Its the way he plays, not so much the O line.

Not in the least bit. Ben's "style of play" is running from everybody the O line misses. Survival isn't a style of play, it's just what happens when nobody blocks.

Steel_Bus_24
05-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Not in the least bit. Ben's "style of play" is running from everybody the O line misses. Survival isn't a style of play, it's just what happens when nobody blocks.

Just imagine if journeymen Starks didn't come back last year....

Those 2 weeks in a row at Indy an Houston were brutal last year