PDA

View Full Version : Sean Spence....the new Ray Lewis?

steelbelieve
04-30-2012, 07:36 AM
They said Lewis was too small coming out of the U. They're saying the same thing about Spence.

Both players tackling machines who averaged over 100 tackles each of their last two seasons, and had similar past defense numbers, sacks and tackles for loss.

Not saying Spence will become Ray, but interesting similarities between the two players.

Spence may actually be more mobile in the passing game though not as strong as Ray at the point of attack, which may make Spence a better player for the current and future NFL.

We'll see. Thoughts?

steeltheone
04-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Thats stretching it REAL far...Lewis was a stud from freshman year on...Left College a year early and was ranked the number 1 linebaker in the draft.

He had an immediate impact with the Ravens as a rookie....Spence probably wont see the field on defense his rookie year.

Lets hope in the end you are right....but as of now, not likely.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Chalk this up with ..."A.Q Shipley is the next Mike Webster".:doh:

Steelerindc
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Thats stretching it REAL far...Lewis was a stud from freshman year on...Left College a year early and was ranked the number 1 linebaker in the draft.

He had an immediate impact with the Ravens as a rookie....Spence probably wont see the field on defense his rookie year.

If my memory is correct I believe Ray Lewis wasn't even the 1st LB picked in that draft. I think he was the 5tth LB selected.

But that means nothing, who knows how a player will translate to the pros, usually Miami players do very well so I hope the trend stays steady.

steelbelieve
04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Kevin Hardy was the number one rated linebacker that year (Ray was somewhere between the 3rd and 5th best), and there were a lot of questions whether Ray Ray would ever become an effective starter, much less a star, since he was comparatively small for the position. Sound familiar?

casteeler
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I think this guy was the Steelers Bonehead pick of the 2012 draft, not drinking the Koolaid so the saying goes.

madtowndrunkard
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Yea, I'm not lovin this pick . But when it comes to LB's I think no other team scouts them better then the Steelers. So I'll just assume they know what they are doing and they got a stud in round 3. At the very least he could be a Larry Foote in a couple years. ? Depth is important.

GMU Steeler
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I was a little surprised with the pick too because he's small relative for LBs in our system but we are a great team at developing LBs- I'm sure Butler and Lebeau will do wonders with the guy. Disagree with those who compare the pick to Davis, Davis was a tweener and not a natural LB. I agree with those who say the pick may be a response to the growth of the two speedy TE set that NE has popularized. Can't wait to see what our picks are capable of.

Men of Steel
04-30-2012, 01:54 PM
they drafted Sean Spence because:
1) hes fast
2) closing speed
3) very instinctive
4) always around the ball

i was watching his highlights, and he makes great plays.
he reminded me quite a bit of how TROY POLAMALU plays football.

great instincts and great football player, just not sure if Spence will flourish in his position as a ILB in the Pro's.

RuHappy69
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Gary Bracket from the Colts was an undrafted FA out of Rutgers. He was about 5'-10" and not anywhere near as fast as Spence. A few pro bowls later.... Bottom line with Spence's speed, athleticism and great instincts it will more than cover up the 2 inches of height he has. How big was Singletary?

Steelersfan87
04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Does anybody have an issue with Spence outside of his height? The guy has just about everything else you could want. Give him a chance.

ZiggyHeyward
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Chalk this up with ..."A.Q Shipley is the next Mike Webster".:doh:

The only people who saw Shipley was a legit prospect are those from the local area, I knew he was a short armed T-rex

DG94
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Gary Bracket from the Colts was an undrafted FA out of Rutgers. He was about 5'-10" and not anywhere near as fast as Spence. A few pro bowls later.... Bottom line with Spence's speed, athleticism and great instincts it will more than cover up the 2 inches of height he has. How big was Singletary?

Brackett also plays in a 4-3, different defense. Best comparison surely is the 5'10" London Fletcher in Washington? He's done pretty well for himself after going undrafted!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Does anybody have an issue with Spence outside of his height? The guy has just about everything else you could want. Give him a chance.

The issue I have is with people trying to compare him with Ray Lewis.

Why??? Because he is from the U??? Because spence is 5'11 and a 3rd round pick, when Lewis was 6'1 and a 1st round tackling machine???

He will be fine, but not a 15 year veteran and one of the top 5 ILB's of all time...............please.

zcoop
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Kevin Hardy was the number one rated linebacker that year (Ray was somewhere between the 3rd and 5th best), and there were a lot of questions whether Ray Ray would ever become an effective starter, much less a star, since he was comparatively small for the position. Sound familiar?

Sure does, you're right the same kind of things were said about Ray Ray. I like the Spence pick he is a versatile player and will become a starter at some point.

tony hipchest
04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
gonzo, so what youre saying is mike adams is the next ogden and polamalu is the next ghandi.?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 06:28 PM
gonzo, so what youre saying is mike adams is the next ogden and polamalu is the next ghandi.?

Close, but I think you have to compare guys that went to the same school. ie. Ray Lewis and Sean Spence went to Miami.

So, I think you have to say Mike Adams is the next Orlando Pace (Buckeyes) and Gandhi didnt goto USC, so you have to say Myron Rolle is the next Gandhi because they both studied in England.

Many thought Gandhi was undersized and didnt have a good 40 time either, but not sure what his bench press #''s were?? :noidea:

steelbelieve
04-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Close, but I think you have to compare guys that went to the same school. ie. Ray Lewis and Sean Spence went to Miami.

So, I think you have to say Mike Adams is the next Orlando Pace (Buckeyes) and Gandhi didnt goto USC, so you have to say Myron Rolle is the next Gandhi because they both studied in England.

Many thought Gandhi was undersized and didnt have a good 40 time either, but not sure what his bench press #''s were?? :noidea:

I think you're kind of missing the point in an attempt to try and stomp on somebody elses opinion. Another poster wisely made the comparison of Spence to Beason--and that's probably a good comparison. Spence is an excellent pick late in the 3rd round and will excel way beyond the Bruce Davis' of the world. Regardless of whether he becomes more comparable to Beason, or something a little closer to Lewis,it's all a thrilling prospect to true Steeler fans.. :tt:

steelbelieve
04-30-2012, 06:50 PM

To me, he's the second most exciting pick in our draft behind DeCastro.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
I was a little surprised with the pick too because he's small relative for LBs in our system but we are a great team at developing LBs- I'm sure Butler and Lebeau will do wonders with the guy. Disagree with those who compare the pick to Davis, Davis was a tweener and not a natural LB. I agree with those who say the pick may be a response to the growth of the two speedy TE set that NE has popularized. Can't wait to see what our picks are capable of.

A bit small but very athletic.

WHile he is not the ideal size there is no reason he could not pack on a few pounds of muscle over the next year or two...I think a lot of it is how hard he is willing to work to make it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I think you're kind of missing the point in an attempt to try and stomp on somebody elses opinion. Another poster wisely made the comparison of Spence to Beason--and that's probably a good comparison. Spence is an excellent pick late in the 3rd round and will excel way beyond the Bruce Davis' of the world. Regardless of whether he becomes more comparable to Beason, or something a little closer to Lewis,it's all a thrilling prospect to true Steeler fans.. :tt:

Is the title of this thread not comparing Spence to Ray Lewis??? That is absurd. Perhaps you are missing my point.

I believe I actually made the comparison that we can hope Spence becomes a player like Beason. And comparing him now to Bruce Davis is a bit off as well, since Davis was a college DE trying to convert to a OLB. Davis ran around blocks and was a bad pick....Spence scrapes to the ball and finishes very well............but he is no Ray Lewis.

This is like 5 years ago when we drafted Dennis Dixon and the site was flooded with people comparing him to and anointing Dixon the next Kordell Stewart or Slash. Can we try to be real here and not compare Sean Spence to one of the top 5 LB's to play the position??

ricardisimo
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Sean Spence killed someone? :huh:

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 12:25 AM
its kinda like every big back coming into the nfl being compared to jerome bettis. pretty easy to see frank summers isnt going to be the next bettis.

in fact everybody will know the next bettis when the next big back appears on the scene in a major college program, dominates all the competition, and is a top 10 draft pick. until then it is really hope and wishfull thinking.

its kinda like Jesus. alot of people thought charlie manson and david koresh was the second coming of christ. many more people ask how will we know when the messiah has arrived? the majority of beleivers simply say you will know him when you see him and witness the miracles.

yeah, i went there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Sean Spence killed someone? :huh:

Not yet, if he is going to be the next Ray Lewis, its gonna be when he is at a super bowl party but not playing.

its kinda like every big back coming into the nfl being compared to jerome bettis. pretty easy to see frank summers isnt going to be the next bettis.

in fact everybody will know the next bettis when the next big back appears on the scene in a major college program, dominates all the competition, and is a top 10 draft pick. until then it is really hope and wishfull thinking.

its kinda like Jesus. alot of people thought charlie manson and david koresh was the second coming of christ. many more people ask how will we know when the messiah has arrived? the majority of beleivers simply say you will know him when you see him and witness the miracles.

yeah, i went there.

At least you are not drinking the Jim Jones Kool aid.....:coffee:

Dalarin
05-01-2012, 03:06 AM
What did Lewis enter the league weighing? I remember he was rather thin at the time. What is he now? He must be pushing the 270 mark.

DG94
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
What did Lewis enter the league weighing? I remember he was rather thin at the time. What is he now? He must be pushing the 270 mark.

All I can find says he was 6'1", 240 lbs. Now he's 6'1" 250 lbs.

VaDave
05-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Or David Little.. Sam Mills....That also played MLB @ under 6 feet tall for a long timel.....

Steelerindc
05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
I know this is just a highlight reel, but from the looks of it this kid knows how to get to the football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzJi1y6uhY

Might need to put on some muscle weight, looks a little small. He might have trouble getting swallowed up by guards and tackles but he sure can run to the ball.

steelbelieve
05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Is the title of this thread not comparing Spence to Ray Lewis??? That is absurd. Perhaps you are missing my point.

I believe I actually made the comparison that we can hope Spence becomes a player like Beason. And comparing him now to Bruce Davis is a bit off as well, since Davis was a college DE trying to convert to a OLB. Davis ran around blocks and was a bad pick....Spence scrapes to the ball and finishes very well............but he is no Ray Lewis.

This is like 5 years ago when we drafted Dennis Dixon and the site was flooded with people comparing him to and anointing Dixon the next Kordell Stewart or Slash. Can we try to be real here and not compare Sean Spence to one of the top 5 LB's to play the position??

whatever. Based on what I see, Sean Spence will become a special player in this league regardless of whom he's compared to. I made the natural comparison based generally on how they were both thought of at the same position coming from the same school. It will be fun to watch him develop.:tt04:

wera176
05-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I know this is just a highlight reel, but from the looks of it this kid knows how to get to the football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzJi1y6uhY

Might need to put on some muscle weight, looks a little small. He might have trouble getting swallowed up by guards and tackles but he sure can run to the ball.

Yeah, it's a highlight reel, but wow! Most of those tackles were textboard, great position, legs driving, etc. The rest were just pure athletic plays. Looks like he hits hard too, some of those backs and QBs didn't think he was too small after those hits! Little small maybe, but reads well and seems to make blockers miss him. Be fun to see how he pans out.

Was 58 a little on the small side too? :chuckle:

Steel Peon
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Start practicing Spence!

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/bc8b0ea8-b192-4654-b566-c3e170678750.gif

Edit: Just kidding, I like Ray a lot, but I really couldn't let this joke go to waste.

TRH
05-01-2012, 02:52 PM
b.

Was 58 a little on the small side too? :chuckle:

Not for his era, he wasn't.

But yeah, this kid is like a lightning rod to the football, the front office must be really, really high on him. Could turn out to be fantastic.

wera176
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Not for his era, he wasn't.

But yeah, this kid is like a lightning rod to the football, the front office must be really, really high on him. Could turn out to be fantastic.

I only meant when he was drafted. Even for his era he was on the light (and skinny) side when he was drafted. 205 or something like that? He was taller though. He did put on weight but was considered underweight when drafted.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Start practicing Spence!

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/bc8b0ea8-b192-4654-b566-c3e170678750.gif

:toofunny: i love it!

BKAnthem
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
He can always try to convert to safety if LB doesn't work out...he has the speed and tackling for it...dude is rangy

cbrunn
05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Hated this pick ... but now it's growing on me ...

it seems like his instincts are above and beyond ... and a very good tackler ... I don't think his size is a problem, i don't want him to add weight, stay around 225-230 and keep athleticism ...

I don't just think he's a nickel type linebacker , i think that's a insult to him ... if our big guys upfront (Heyward, Ta'amu , Hood) can keep the Oline busy i can see this guy being a tackling machine, mainly because of his instincts ... Him and Timmons inside i think will be the future,and a very good one at that ...i love Sly and he still has a shot but i just think Spence can do more

Fire Arians
05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Start practicing Spence!

Edit: Just kidding, I like Ray a lot, but I really couldn't let this joke go to waste.

rofl what episode was that from?

ricardisimo
05-02-2012, 01:44 AM
I have to say, that's an awful lot of tackles for losses in that highlight reel. Wow. I feel better about the pick already.

Millers the sh!t
05-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I really hope the young man makes a name for himself. But I doubt that name will be ray Lewis. Though, I've never wanted to be more wrong in my life.

Side note: I'm really looking forward to this new season with new coaches, new players, new playbooks, and hopefully new goals and records being set for the Steelers Franchise.

EbonySteel86
05-02-2012, 11:10 AM
He can always try to convert to safety if LB doesn't work out...he has the speed and tackling for it...dude is rangy
Was thinking the same thing. Then move Troy to FS! I like it!

steel-EERS
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I can see what your trying to say, Spence has all the intangables you want in a line backer except the size. Ray Lewis wasn't real big either, remember him playing around 200 in college and I questioned if he would ever be big enough. Looking at him now and then they hardly resemble one another. Spence will have a year to acclimate himself and gain a few lean lbs. just gotta take a wait and see attitude. More times than not the steelers are right on these things!