PDA

View Full Version : Ben: New Playbook is a "Rosetta Stone"

Edman
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/ben-roethlisberger-refers-to-new-playbook-as-a-rosetta-stone-book

Just goes to show how disorganized and senseless the B.A/Ben Offense Relationship was. B.A was not a coordinator. He was a buddy and never spurred Ben to, you know "study" and be more cerebral. Instead of "Do this better/Don't do this", we'll get "We won't do that anymore, throw it out".

So now that we finally get a coordinator who urges Ben to "study", he has a hard time figuring it out.

Sixburgher
04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
So now that we finally get a coordinator who urges Ben to "study", he has a hard time figuring it out.

Yeah, that's what it means, all right. :rolleyes:

"I do know some stuff from obviously being in the building and walking by the rooms, sneaking in the rooms by myself and trying to look at things, because you can't meet and talk football."

madtowndrunkard
04-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Or maybe it's another example of how stupid Ben is? Maybe Ben doesn't have the brains to figure out a complex playbook? Which might explain BA's simplistic offense?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Or maybe it's another example of how stupid Ben is? Maybe Ben doesn't have the brains to figure out a complex playbook? Which might explain BA's simplistic offense?

You would be surprise how hard it is to learn a whole new playbook when you used just one playbook half of your career...

steelers33
04-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Lol its still April, I'm sure Ben has had very limited time with it. Lets see where he is in August.

MACH1
04-30-2012, 02:36 PM

Yeah because it takes a real genius to call a fifty yard bomb on third and about an inch. :doh:

steelax04
04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
However, Rosetta Stone is the world's easiest way to learn a language, guaranteed.

TRH
04-30-2012, 02:49 PM
You would be surprise how hard it is to learn a whole new playbook when you used just one playbook half of your career...

This.

Amazing to listen to people dissect and OVER-analyze everything he says. He just made an on-the-fly jokingly comment. So f-ing what? I would have said the same thing. Big deal.
New playbooks are challenging to everyone. Even if your name is Tom Brady. Or insert any name here.
The comments all seemed overly-positive to me. Sheez.................

vasteeler
04-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Lol its still April, I'm sure Ben has had very limited time with it. Lets see where he is in August.

this

i dont know why people are so quick to judge ben:noidea:

TheVet
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I love hearing this - we're actually gong to have real plays! I don't know whether I cheered louder when Arians was booted or when DeCastro was drafted.

This is going to be a great ride!

FanSince72
04-30-2012, 04:01 PM
It's just Ben's way of taking a shot at Haley is all.

How many people have a new boss take over at their job who wants to "change things" and how many people take shots at him or her for doing that - especially if everyone's used to doing something a certain way?

It's human nature.

FrancoLambert
04-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Good......so start studying it. There's a new sheriff in town and things aren't going to go on as before. The buddy system is gone. I'm guessing their will be a lot more accountability......Haley will get in his face. It's also called having a "work ethic" and most people in the know thought Ben's was a bit lacking. Well, get to work.

LukesDad88
04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Everybody, especially the writer of the story, is waaaay off base with this. The Rosetta Stone is a key to a cypher. It's a pattern to understanding a code. What Ben's saying is that he picked up a book today that basically unlocks the new offense. Essentially a guide to the new offense. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ricco Suavez
04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
The initial playbook that is being formulated will not be the same that is implemented when the season starts. Ben and Haley along with Tomlin will streamline the playbook after seeing what works, looks, is comfortable to Ben. If Ben digs his heels in and/or Haley does likewise than we will have a clusterf*#k worse than anything Ariens ever done to this team.

It is early and I would not read too much into anything about this, but I will caution the Steeler nation on this. I fear that with so many long time veterans gone and a new offensive scheme being put in place we could very well start slow and never really recover. If so the boo birds will be out in force. I am hoping for a smooth transition and if not I hope to see improvement by mid season to gain momentum for next season. Just a cautionary view since we have been blessed the last few years, we could take a step back before making another giant leap

Fire Arians
04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
rosetta stone is marketed as being easy, so... maybe he's saying it's not rocket science

TRH
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
rosetta stone is marketed as being easy, so... maybe he's saying it's not rocket science

thats exactly what i thought when he said it. Rosetta Stone makes things MUCH easier. So i took it as him saying its new but won't be hard to read.
Too many dummies jumping to conclusions.

vindrow
04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
If you listened to teh interview he was laughing when he said it....you know, like in a joking manner.

Atlanta Dan
04-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Or maybe Ben does not know what Rosetta Stone means?:noidea:

We are talking about someone who several weeks ago referred to MarK Sanchez as "The Sanchez"' rather than his nickname "The Sanchize"

#7 is a great QB but nobody ever said he was going to beat you with his intellect

Ricco Suavez
04-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Or maybe Ben does not know what Rosetta Stone means?:noidea:

We are talking about someone who several weeks ago referred to MarK Sanchez as "The Sanchez"' rather than his nickname "The Sanchize"

#7 is a great QB but nobody ever said he was going to beat you with his intellect

And maybe he just omitted the "dirty".:rofl:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Here we go, now Ben is stupid, an idiot etc.

There is just no pleasing the real idiots of life.

the league rules are stupid. no football talk or meetings. If a player wants to meet and talk football, they should be able to do whatever they want. Between some crap here, the leagues talking heads and the true idiot who heads the NFLPA, Im not sure who can hold the idiots trophy.

tony hipchest
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
It's just Ben's way of taking a shot at Haley is all.

How many people have a new boss take over at their job who wants to "change things" and how many people take shots at him or her for doing that - especially if everyone's used to doing something a certain way?

It's human nature.well ben should be glad he wasnt the one fired like peyton manning. has anyone heard peyton whining about a new playbook? hell no, because if he doesnt already know every teams offense, he can learn it in a day. thats how much he studies. ben needs to shut up already about haleys offense and playbook and just learn the damn thing.

thats exactly what i thought when he said it. Rosetta Stone makes things MUCH easier. So i took it as him saying its new but won't be hard to read.
Too many dummies jumping to conclusions.

are people really confusing "rosetta stone" language learning systems with THE Rosetta Stone?

the rosetta stone is the ancient stone carved tablet that allowed man to finally decipher egyptian heiroglyphics. up until its discovery in the 1800's the meaning of the egyptian writings was one of mankinds greatest mysteries.

by ben saying haleys playbook is like the rosetta stone, he is saying that it is not only greek to him, but cunnieform and heiroglyphs as well.

it really makes him look like a dumbass. he should really think before he says some of the shit he does.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
holy shit, i am still completely flabbergasted that people are implying that ben is merely suggesting that the new playbook is simplified or easy to read.

now i'm one of the biggest ben supporters and defenders in the world but he is clearly saying that either haleys playbook is so complex and unorganized that its like its written in 3 languages, or that it is completely foreign, undecipherable material to him.

either he's got the biggest set of brass balls between his legs to be questioning and critisizing his new bosses playbook, or he has a rosetta stone of concrete poured between his ears.

either way, im sure all the smarter nfl players are sharing a good laugh at his expense.

next thing you know he will be praising arians for drafting 2 TE's with the colts first 3 picks and building an offense that will rival the patriots. :dang: :banging:

OX1947
05-01-2012, 12:29 AM
this

i dont know why people are so quick to judge ben:noidea:

Because he is a dipshit.

Fire Arians
05-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Because he is a dipshit.

lol wow. this dipshit got us to 3 super bowls buddy. go cheer for a different team if you hate him, he isn't going anywhere

media once again overhyping things to get a rise out of people. i'll save judgement until i see things for myself in september

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 01:03 AM
There is nothing even worth discussing on this subject. Players don't even have the playbooks yet.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 01:17 AM
There is nothing even worth discussing on this subject. Players don't even have the playbooks yet.

even more reason for ben to keep his mouth shut on the subject. :doh:

:footinmou:

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 01:34 AM
So he's supposed to ignore questions?

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 01:38 AM

did you say something? :coffee:

next question....

Sixburgher
05-01-2012, 01:42 AM

If he did, he'd get crap for that too. Everything the guy does and says is scrutinized and is read into to the point of being absolutely ridiculous.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 01:46 AM
"hey tony, what do you know about the new offense that Haley is going to install?"

well, ive only briefly seen it in passing the rooms.

as you know, we arent allowed to meet with the coaches yet, and actually discuss anything football related.

all i know is the offense is new, it is different, and that me and the rest of my teammates are ready to get our noses into the playbook so that when the practices start we are ready to hit the ground running.

that is EXACTLY how someone with the capabilities to think before they speak would answer a very simple softball question.

"rosetta stone" :rofl: :nerd: :dang:

Sixburgher
05-01-2012, 01:53 AM
Maybe he ought to hire you to do his PR.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 01:57 AM
big ben is kinda like a movie actor here. brad pitt and johnny depp have no problem memorizing a script for a new role.

big ben is coming across as steve gutenberg asking "why cant i just do POLICE ACADEMY 16???"

im a huge big ben fan, but c'mon maaaaaan!

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Maybe he ought to hire you to do his PR.

if i had the connections to get my foot in the door, i could do alot of good being plenty of athelete's PR rep (the shit is basic common sense and being smarter than the dumb ass reporters baiting the questions).

i'd be a pretty damn good agent as well. negotiation is 2nd hand to me, as well as PR (being that i do it every day at my job).

thanks for the endorsement! :thumbsup:

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 02:07 AM
He was not even talking about the Rosetta Stone tablet. This is not an "it's all Greek to me" comment. He clearly said a "Rosetta Stone book". Maybe you should listen to the comment in context. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/ben-roethlisberger-refers-to-new-playbook-as-a-rosetta-stone-book/

It begins at 4:45. It's a totally innocuous comment that doesn't even merit the articles published about it.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 02:10 AM
i love the direction this debate is turning, where people are actually going to step up and try to argue the "ben said something smart" side of it.

:applaudit: (this is going to be fun)

Steelersfan87
05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
No, it's going in the direction of "there's nothing to talk about here and it's ridiculous that some people think there is". He's not the most cerebral quarterback in the league, but he's far from an idiot (i.e. Vince Young).

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 02:20 AM
He was not even talking about the Rosetta Stone tablet. This is not an "it's all Greek to me" comment. He clearly said a "Rosetta Stone book". Maybe you should listen to the comment in context. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/ben-roethlisberger-refers-to-new-playbook-as-a-rosetta-stone-book/

It begins at 4:45. It's a totally innocuous comment that doesn't even merit the articles published about it.ive already heard it. its besides the point, and you are really splitting hairs.

he needs to think before he speaks if he doesnt want people to think he is a dumbass.

if he cant learn new football plays and jargon, quicker than i can learn french then there is a problem.

he is the one giving the perception of a problem where there really isnt one (or there is and hes trying to cover up).

everybody knows he has to learn a new playbook. its part of the job. he doesnt need to exaggerate or overembellish how difficult this is going to be for him (or his "young receivers")

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 02:24 AM
No, it's going in the direction of "there's nothing to talk about here and it's ridiculous that some people think there is". He's not the most cerebral quarterback in the league, but he's far from an idiot (i.e. Vince Young).he is definitely far from an idiot, in those regards, although many people across the world feel otherwise.

dont think im not on his side. answers like this that he gives is where he certainly needs some good PR. its one thing for him to be a gunslinger on the field, but i dont think he really needs to be shootin from the hip when he gets infront of the media.

he has done pretty good through all of his transgressions, but every once in a while he has a gaffe that everybody wants to run with.

Bayz101
05-01-2012, 02:44 AM
"Rosetta Stone".

There's a couple of things he can be saying here, but i'm pretty sure he's just implying it's an entirely new language. Something foreign to him. This is the case with learning a new playbook, especially when you've only known one for a majority of your career. He'll be fine, and he'll learn the playbook.

PS: He can say whatever the hell he wants, dammit :chuckle:

Fire Arians
05-01-2012, 02:49 AM
"Rosetta Stone".

There's a couple of things he can be saying here, but i'm pretty sure he's just implying it's an entirely new language. Something foreign to him. This is the case with learning a new playbook, especially when you've only known one for a majority of your career. He'll be fine, and he'll learn the playbook.

He learned the playbook well in his rookie season (obviously under a new system and first season under a pro offense). good enough for an AFCCG and 15-1 record, he will be ok :thumbsup:

Dalarin
05-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Speaking of his young receivers I think Sanders will have a breakout year. Something to prove, everything to lose situation. That and it was easy to tell he was the best route runner of the 3.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Not a whole lot of history to justify saying Sanders will have a break out year. It would be a easier stretch to say he will break his ankle or wrist, lol.

the routes he ran successful were to the chow line? He hasn't even had time to run routes, he is always hurt. A lot f people sit here and say this guy is god like. Same ones that will be rippinghim later when he is hurt again because he isn't durable.

I'll take Wallace and Brown any day of the week.

FanSince72
05-01-2012, 08:25 AM
well ben should be glad he wasnt the one fired like peyton manning. has anyone heard peyton whining about a new playbook? hell no, because if he doesnt already know every teams offense, he can learn it in a day. thats how much he studies. ben needs to shut up already about haleys offense and playbook and just learn the damn thing.

Peyton wouldn't whine because he's the ultimate company man - an employer's wet dream.

Ben isn't.

Which, BTW, is one of the main reasons why I like Ben.

Oh, and how many SB rings and SB appearances does Peyton have again in his 14-year career...?

wera176
05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
"Rosetta Stone".

^This

The last "dumbass" we had as a QB won 4 Superbowls and has a nice bust in Canton... :noidea:

The guy cracks a joke about only glimpsing the playbook and that what he saw looked significantly different than BAs (thank God for that!) and people get their panties in a wad? Now if he said it looked just like BA's, then we'd have something to bitch about...
:blah:

FanSince72
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/roethlisberger%20and%20rosetta%20stone.jpg

Fire Arians
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Not a whole lot of history to justify saying Sanders will have a break out year. It would be a easier stretch to say he will break his ankle or wrist, lol.

the routes he ran successful were to the chow line? He hasn't even had time to run routes, he is always hurt. A lot f people sit here and say this guy is god like. Same ones that will be rippinghim later when he is hurt again because he isn't durable.

I'll take Wallace and Brown any day of the week.

dude was tearing it up in his rookie season when he had a chance to play. showed more potential than brown. nobody's saying he's god like, but recognize potential when you see it. if he can stay healthy he will be very successful in this league. that's a big question mark but let's just hope it was bad luck and not something that will cut his career short.

steelers33
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
God, this is the stupidest thread I've ever read. The fact that people are trying to make a debate out of this is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen. All Ben was saying was that at first glance the playbook was foreign to him, and that next week he'll go over it with Haley. This is no way makes Ben stupid, doesn't make him a bad interviewer who doesn't think before he speaks, his response was in the tone of the interview. The interview had a joking manner to it, and he said that response in a joking way. He was just trying to be charismatic, nothing more nothing less. End this thread right now, and dear god training camp needs to start soon.

TRH
05-01-2012, 02:49 PM
God, this is the stupidest thread I've ever read. The fact that people are trying to make a debate out of this is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen. All Ben was saying was that at first glance the playbook was foreign to him, and that next week he'll go over it with Haley. This is no way makes Ben stupid, doesn't make him a bad interviewer who doesn't think before he speaks, his response was in the tone of the interview. The interview had a joking manner to it, and he said that response in a joking way. He was just trying to be charismatic, nothing more nothing less. End this thread right now, and dear god training camp needs to start soon.

+ 1.
Not to mention the fact (that some around here STILL don't seem to understand) is that Rosetta Stone makes things easy to understand.
All he was saying was that its new, like a foreign language, but will be learned without problems. Simple as that.
No matter when he speaks, people twist and turn his words and dissect and make something out of what was completely nothing in the 1st place.

Bayz101
05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Next week Ben will comment: "After meeting with Todd and discussing the new playbook, i'm exciting looking forward. Todd's a pretty good guy."

The debate will be Ben's use of the words "Pretty good", and fans will argue over whether or not Ben likes him very much. I'm calling it.

FanSince72
05-01-2012, 03:21 PM
+ 1.
Not to mention the fact (that some around here STILL don't seem to understand) is that Rosetta Stone makes things easy to understand.
All he was saying was that its new, like a foreign language, but will be learned without problems. Simple as that.
No matter when he speaks, people twist and turn his words and dissect and make something out of what was completely nothing in the 1st place.

It took about 25 years to work out two of the languages used in the Rosetta Stone and the hieroglyphs are still not completely understood.

I'm not sure if "easy" is a word I'd use in reference to it.

Bayz101
05-01-2012, 03:26 PM
It took about 25 years to work out two of the languages used in the Rosetta Stone and the hieroglyphs are still not completely understood.

I'm not sure if "easy" is a word I'd use in reference to it.

I'm pretty sure Ben, and most of the people in here discussing this, are referring to the "Rosetta Stone" language learning program. It teaches different languages, and it's marketed as "Easy to learn".

http://www.rosettastone.com/

PS: I'm not implying that this is what Ben was saying, but I do think that's what he was referring to. He was just saying it's going to be like learning an entirely new language, because that's pretty much what you're doing when learning a new playbook.

TheVet
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I love Ben, he's a great competitor, and he's got all the natural talent, drive, heart and will to win that anyone could ever want. Watching him play has been a blast! But Arians was the worst thing to ever happen to him - his development has stalled at the could-be-great level

Loving the Haley move. Ben is going to be dragged kicking and screaming into being an elite quarterback!!!!

TRH
05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
i'm getting tired of all the talk about Ben and our newly drafted hopefuls. I'm ready to see what Haley's going to bring to the team!!! Can't wait.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
The guy cracks a joke about only glimpsing the playbook :

The interview had a joking manner to it, and he said that response in a joking way. He was just trying to be charismatic, nothing more nothing less. End this thread right now, and dear god training camp needs to start soon.well here is the problem. ben isnt funny. not even remotely. never has been, never will. anytime he's tried to crack a joke it completely sucks and falls flat. i know funny, and ben needs to leave the slapstick to the comedians and stick with learning playbooks.

now THIS is funny-

http://www.sycaonline.org/images/roethlisberger%20and%20rosetta%20stone.jpg

:sofunny:

BKAnthem
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
If he said this in September...then i would be worried...right now it's much ado about nada

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
If he said this in September...then i would be worried...right now it's much ado about nadai agree that it is not a big issue (right now). i also think there is a little part of him hedging his bets just incase he struggles with the new "tablet". my point is his hilarious statement just makes him sound dumb.

fwiw, i thought him getting a little head in a bar restroom was much to do about nothing, and i really didnt think it was that big of a deal that he rode a motorcycle (even though i would never own one). :noidea:

arians has been dismissed, and hines has retired. its time for ben to get on board, act like a leader and quit trying to be the class clown (or even worse, act like a stubborn donkey).

theres nothing wrong with knowing when to act like a professional (even if it is nothing but an act).

NSMaster56
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Fire Haley!!!

:coffee:

Ricco Suavez
05-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Fire Haley!!!

:coffee:

There will be posts to that affect soon enough. Three Steelers that are always talked about being replaced, Head Coach, OC, and the current QB.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Ricco:

Easy to replace Ben because he sucks, lol. It just never stops here, lol

At the end of the day, the playbook will be adjusted to Ben. Say what you want about Ben, Haley, Tomlin. Your only other option is dead beat back up QBs.
Regardless, give him dam plays where the Oline can block and it doesnt matter. Its saying some numbers, than saying hike, lol. Spped WR's run routes, Ben throws ball. Unless of course Ben is on his back like he was 200 times last year.

tony hipchest
05-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Regardless, give him dam plays where the Oline can block and it doesnt matter. Its saying some numbers, than saying hike, lol. Spped WR's run routes, Ben throws ball. Unless of course Ben is on his back like he was 200 times last year.

some people may believe all that baloney you just typed but big ben doesnt-

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/breaking/roethlisberger-speaks-on-haley-hire-state-of-offense-215126/

Roethlisberger admitted he was "shocked" when he learned Bruce Arians was not offered a contract renewal as offensive coordinator. He said coach Mike Tomlin has since kept him in the "loop" about his search for Arians' replacement, although he had no input into who that would be.

Now, the quarterback is anxious about what offense Haley might run -- whether he will chuck the Steelers offense that has evolved from Mike Mularkey to Ken Whisenhunt to Arians in favor of his own, whether he will maintain the Steelers offense or whether there will be some type of meshing of the two.

Haley was not definitive about his offensive plans during his press conference, just that he would "start with a clean slate.''

"It would probably be easy for him to do," Roethlisberger said about Haley possibly choosing to stick with his offense. "I don't know if it would be easy for us to learn it. We're so young on offense and the most talented room in this whole building is probably wide receiver, no disrespect to anyone else. And they're also really young."

"They're still the tip of the iceberg in this offense and they did as well as they did last year. And they're just getting to the point that 'OK, this makes sense to me.'

"That was my biggest talking point to Mike and those guys -- I would hate to just throw everything out and start over because I feel it would set us back two or three years because these guys are just starting to get it.

poor ben... "rosetta stone" :toofunny: ....funny joke. :coffee:

"I hope we don't have to start over and if we do, you know what, here we go. Let's do it. We'll do it. We're not going to complain about it. But I would hate to have to set certain guys back who are doing so well right now."

:popcorn:

quit complaining ben and just do it.... the act is tired. (awaits someone to tell me which part of the above interview were "jokes")

Steelersfan87
05-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Christ, get over it already.

Steeldude
05-02-2012, 06:10 AM
-Arians Playbook-

Play 1: Everyone go long. QB runs around to give them time. QB hurls pass hoping to connect.

Play 2: WR bubble screen.

Play 3: QB sneak.

Play 4: Delay of game.

FanSince72
05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
-Arians Playbook-

Play 1: Everyone go long. QB runs around to give them time. QB hurls pass hoping to connect.

Play 2: WR bubble screen.

Play 3: QB sneak.

Play 4: Delay of game.

Arians' Results-

2011 - 12 - 4 - 0 First Place
2010 - 12 - 4 - 0 First Place
2009 - 9 - 7 - 0 Third Place
2008 - 12 - 4 - 0 First Place
2007 - 10 - 6 - 0 First Place

55-25 in the reg. season,
5-3 in the post season,
2 SB appearances,
1 SB win.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist) :applaudit:

Fire Arians
05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Arians' Results-

2011 - 12 - 4 - 0 First Place
2010 - 12 - 4 - 0 First Place
2009 - 9 - 7 - 0 Third Place
2008 - 12 - 4 - 0 First Place
2007 - 10 - 6 - 0 First Place

55-25 in the reg. season,
5-3 in the post season,
2 SB appearances,
1 SB win.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist) :applaudit:

having the #1 defense year after year will give you that kind of record. BA doesn't deserve any credit for that

wera176
05-02-2012, 11:50 AM
having the #1 defense year after year will give you that kind of record. BA doesn't deserve any credit for that

Having a QB that frequently has success with Play #1 helped quite a bit too.

FanSince72
05-02-2012, 12:35 PM

You mean the one that gave up a walk-off TD in the SB?
Or the one that let a third-rate QB (Flacco) march 92 yds. to win a game?
Or the one that regularly turned a 3rd and 12 into a guaranteed 1st down?

THAT #1 Defense? :stirthepot:

Fire Arians
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM
You mean the one that gave up a walk-off TD in the SB?
Or the one that let a third-rate QB (Flacco) march 92 yds. to win a game?
Or the one that regularly turned a 3rd and 12 into a guaranteed 1st down?

THAT #1 Defense? :stirthepot:

not saying they're perfect but most teams in the NFL would kill to have as good as ours

FanSince72
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
not saying they're perfect but most teams in the NFL would kill to have as good as ours

And I could say the same thing about our offense for the last five years.

tanda10506
05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
And I could say the same thing about our offense for the last five years.

Really?? 21st in points? I can think of 20 teams that wouldn't want our offense. The offense has been "just enough" to get us by for years now. Sometimes teams when IN SPITE of things like a terrible O line and a terrible O coordinator. When the owner of the team steps in front of your direct boss (Tomlin) and asks you to leave, you were a problem.

tony hipchest
05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
And I could say the same thing about our offense for the last five years.i could see 20+ teams wanting our offensive players of the past 5 years. i can also think of about 31 coaching staffs that would do better than 21st in offense with our offensive personnel. i know for a fact that 30 teams wouldnt touch bruce arians with a ten foot pole for anyting other than a positional coach.

31 teams didnt hire him as HC in the past 5 years despite all the divisions and SB's he won. only the 2-14 colts franchise wants him as OC.

2 tight ends in the first 3 picks is even more laughable that the rosetta stone comment.

bruce and his "try to copy the patriots" offense... i miss it already!

ricardisimo
05-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Oh, lord... more ranting about our "paper" defense? Give it a rest.

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Christ, get over it already.

uhmmm... NO

thank you though. :smile:

looks like the rookie andrew luck has jokes too. :applaudit:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/luck-begins-working-indy-teammates-16281078

All Andrew Luck wanted to do was stay composed on the field.

He could have fooled anyone.

While Luck acknowledged that he was still trying to get acclimated to a new playbook, a new locker room and new teammates, those who watched closely on Friday said the new Indianapolis Colts quarterback looked a whole lot like the one they remembered at Stanford.

"He's the same Andrew, as brilliant as ever," said tight end Coby Fleener, Indy's second-round pick and one of Luck's college teammates. "He went out and was calling plays that were probably 30 words long off the top of his head. He's amazing."

Luck wore a red No. 12 jersey, just like he did in college, and of course it helped to have some familiar faces on the practice field -- notably Fleener and another ex-Stanford teammate, receiver Griff Whalen

But the No. 1 overall pick in last week's NFL draft acknowledged Friday's debut did not feel the same.

He was anxious and nervous. Television and still cameras were scattered around the back side of the team complex, and some of the team's front-office personnel even came outside to catch their first real glimpse of the new franchise quarterback.

Most was impressed with what they saw in the first workout of this weekend's rookie mini-camp.

"He's unflappable, mature beyond his years," new coach Chuck Pagano said. "You listen to some of those play calls and you know why he's an architectural engineer. He's going to have a great career in that in about 15 years."

"I didn't get too melodramatic out there, it wasn't too monumental in my mind," Luck said of his first workout.

He might have been the only one.

"It's monumental," Pagano said. "We've talked about it before and they (Colts fans) saw the same thing happen 13 years ago. We feel great about him, he's a natural leader."

For Luck, it's a huge weekend.

After flying back to Palo Alto, Calif., on Sunday, he won't return to the Colts complex until June 8, the day after he finishes classes in Palo Alto, Calif. League rules prohibit rookies from working out with their new teams until classes end with the exception of one three-day mini-camp.

That doesn't mean Luck won't be working on something.

The Colts have already contacted with Luck's agent, Will Wilson, to negotiate a contract. Team owner Jim Irsay said last weekend he expected the process to go quickly and that Luck's deal would be almost identical to the four-year, $22 million deal Newton signed last summer.

Luck is also trying to take care of things on the field.

He's hoping to work out with receiver Austin Collie in California between now and June and has offered to travel to Miami so he can work with perennial Pro Bowler Reggie Wayne and rookie receiver T.Y. Hilton, a third-round pick. If Luck can make all those plans work, he thinks he'll be a lot more comfortable when he returns to Indy next month.

"I'm going to try and digest all of the information first, so I can build up a little credibility," Luck said.

poor ben. all these other qb's in the nfl always trying to act professional and show him up.

MACH1
05-04-2012, 04:05 PM
poor ben. all these other qb's in the nfl always trying to act professional and show him up.

But, but it's going to take 2-3 years to learn a new O or at least a professional NFL O. :chuckle:

He went out and was calling plays that were probably 30 words long

Thats a lot of words for 'bubble screen' or 'go deep'.

Ricco Suavez
05-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Yea Poor Ben, same boat as Bradshaw dumb as dirt but clutch as gold. Yall going to miss him when he is gone I guarantee it.:chuckle:

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Yea Poor Ben, same boat as Bradshaw dumb as dirt but clutch as gold. Yall going to miss him when he is gone I guarantee it.:chuckle:is ben beyond reproach? youre kinda missing the point here. i dont think anyone is saying they WONT miss ben. i sure as hell will. i still miss terry (who wasnt dumb, just called dumb by henderson for being a country bumpkin and the stigma stuck).

ben on the other hand has said and done some dumb stuff that suggests he doesnt think thoroughly before he acts or speaks.

pointing out those simple facts makes one realistic, not a hater

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Thats a lot of words for 'bubble screen' or 'go deep'.

:rofl:

Ricco Suavez
05-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Tony I respect your opinion but to throw Ben in a boat along with every other dumb jocks is not fair, yea he has been "quoted" by many sources and we have heard the "many" versions of what he has said or what someone interprets he "meant" but he is a far cry from dumb.

We Steeler fans have and will continue to be critical of Coaches and Players more than most. Is that due to the high level we expect, likely yes. Are we critical because of being spoiled from 40 years of winning football, (with the occasional down year) again likely yes. Is anyone above reproach? I agree no, but I like to call blame like I see it and the only reason I defend Ben is I am sick of him taking the lions share when there is other elements of this team that fail at the most important times.

I liked the Luck article, great he can call off a thirty word play, I just wonder how they can beat the play clock when he has to check off at the line with another thirty word call. I can see now if Luck has a stand out rookie year with Arians at the controls Ben will be vilified even more than ever.

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 05:17 PM
theres a difference between lumping someone in with every dumb jock and pointing out several undeniable lapses of judgement, or shooting off at the mouth before he thinks.

look at how andrew luck is embracing the challenge of learning a new playbook vs. how ben is handling it. HUGE difference.

luck is the rookie. ben is the veteran champion.

ben is the $100 million dollar man. Luck is the one trying to get a deal worth 20% of that signed.

be a pro ben. get the playbook and learn it without the jokes or freelance commentary. just do it.

thats all i ask.

Hawaii 5-0
05-04-2012, 05:21 PM
ben is the $100 dollar man.

no, I'm the $100 dollar man. :chuckle:

Ben is the $100 million dollar man. :tt02:

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 05:26 PM
good catch... you caught me during my deit.

Sixburgher
05-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I liked the Luck article, great he can call off a thirty word play, I just wonder how they can beat the play clock when he has to check off at the line with another thirty word call.

Especially with everything moving at game speed, which is a hell of a far cry from minicamp practice speed. Ben's also a proven commodity. Luck ain't.

Ricco Suavez
05-04-2012, 06:03 PM
I would rather have a QB who at least has a say so in what the offense runs than a big eyed rookie who is trying to "fit" in. Ben has been there and done that, I am sorry I dont want my veteran QB to be a yes man, esp since he has done well in the past.

An off hand remark does not mean he is bellyaching. The media did not get a full blown drama between Ben and Haley this off season and they will try to blow up any remark, (so will our forum members too it seems). I hope the new system works to this teams strength and right now Ben is one of its key components. With new blood coming in on a less than stellar line hopefully we can be more effective in rushing the ball.

I just want to be on record that as bad as Arians was as a OC this team led the league in TOP, now if we score more and do not lose TOP by a huge difference we will be better, but if we score the same and suffer from some quick strikes and many three and outs I believe our defense which is older in key positions will suffer.

tony hipchest
05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Especially with everything moving at game speed, which is a hell of a far cry from minicamp practice speed. Ben's also a proven commodity. Luck ain't.

no doubt!

if i was gonna pick one of the 2 to lead my favorite team to the superbowl next season, i would 100% select ben.

just like if i was gonna pick someone to win a teat suckling contest, i would also pick ben.

now if i were gonna pick a qb to learn a new playbook and be the most receptive to working with a new boss, ben would be pretty far down on the list.

i'm pretty sure i would chose luck over him in those regards (and luck better get used to it, because he will have a new coaching staff to get used to after 3 seasons.)

I just want to be on record that as bad as Arians was as a OC this team led the league in TOP, now if we score more and do not lose TOP by a huge difference we will be better, but if we score the same and suffer from some quick strikes and many three and outs I believe our defense which is older in key positions will suffer. while i agree on paper, we tried to have a quick strike/big play offense under arians. i would much rather be top 5 in scoring and 21st in TOP.

TRH
05-04-2012, 08:11 PM
it seems as simple as Ben looking forward to the "new" offense, while taking opportunities as they come to give feedback and/or recommendations. I don't think anyone should read anything into it beyond that.

Hawaii 5-0
05-05-2012, 10:47 PM
congratulations go out to Ben, maybe he'll be smarter now that he has his BS degree...:thumbsup:

Peter King@SI_PeterKing via twitter:

Congrats to Ben Roethlisberger for getting his Bachelor's of Science degree in Education from Miami (Ohio) Sunday. He'll walk with grads.

https://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/status/198884335800160256

tony hipchest
05-06-2012, 02:11 AM
:applaudit: a scholar AND a genttleman. :scholar:

TheVet
05-06-2012, 04:28 AM
In fairness to Ben, he hasn't been required to know a professional NFL playbook since 2006. That's not his fault.

AndyWitmyer
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
However, Rosetta Stone is the world's easiest way to learn a language, guaranteed.

You beat me to it! A funny, but excellent point. :thumbsup:

zcoop
05-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm a Ben fan but I can't help but notice some posters who trash other offensive players playing in the same system as he does. Mainly Wallace and Mendenhall's critics. C'mon folks, can't have it both ways.

As Tony stated, Ben has had some bonehead moments when a mike is stuck in his face. And a few other embarassing run ins with the law, but he's our bonehead. Just callin a spade a spade.

TRH
05-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm a Ben fan but I can't help but notice some posters who trash other offensive players playing in the same system as he does. Mainly Wallace and Mendenhall's critics. C'mon folks, can't have it both ways.

As Tony stated, Ben has had some bonehead moments when a mike is stuck in his face. And a few other embarassing run ins with the law, but he's our bonehead. Just callin a spade a spade.

I don't see it as "the system" they're trashing.........just many like Ben but find Wallace and Mendenhall more pompous and unlikeable. I don't have a problem with others calling out certain other players if they don't like them. It seems as if there has been an atmosphere created where its ok to bash Ben....but not ok to bash others if you see fit.
Of course, it can go both ways....all fans are different.

TRH
05-06-2012, 04:12 PM
not sure i'm understanding this thread anymore lol.........................of course the new playbook is a "rosetta stone". Their learning something completely new. It wouldn't be anything BUT................

zcoop
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't see it as "the system" they're trashing.........just many like Ben but find Wallace and Mendenhall more pompous and unlikeable. I don't have a problem with others calling out certain other players if they don't like them. It seems as if there has been an atmosphere created where its ok to bash Ben....but not ok to bash others if you see fit.
Of course, it can go both ways....all fans are different.

:noidea: I guess you didn't read what I typed or read the other posts in this thread. I got no problem with folks calling players out, I just don't like the double standard. There should be no prima donnas when pointing out mistakes.

Anyway, Tony made some good points regarding Ben and his approach to the new playbook thus far.

rich4eagle
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I hope the last on page one was correcto mundo

FanSince72
05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
not sure i'm understanding this thread anymore lol.........................of course the new playbook is a "rosetta stone". Their learning something completely new. It wouldn't be anything BUT................

Are you suggesting that this may be a Rosetta Thread?

tony hipchest
05-09-2012, 12:54 AM
here is mike tomlins take on the "rosetta stone" back on march 29th-

The coaches are not permitted to work with the players until April 16, and Tomlin said the new playbook will not be introduced before then. He does not believe anyone will have trouble learning Haley's system or the terminology that goes with it.

"When you get to this point in your career, whether as a player or a coach, you have heard it in a variety of ways. We are all bilingual, if you will, when it comes to football language. We are not going to get caught up on what we are calling. I think it's important that the guy making the calls when the play clock is running is comfortable."

anyone wanna guess whether the "guy making the calls when the play clock is running" that the main boss is referencing is ben or todd?

get on board, ben.

to bens credit, he seems to be coming around.... he sounds excited in a rich eisen podcast that haleys offense may actually run more no-huddle than his buddy arians' did.

steel-EERS
05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
wasn't it the rosetta stone that unlocked most of the understanding of anciant texts? if he wanted to say it was hard couldn't he have used "war and peace" as an example?

Atlanta Dan
05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Ben apparently remains dazed and confused

Roethlisberger doesn’t completely understand what will change in Pittsburgh, either.

Roethlisberger said on the Rich Eisen Podcast that he hears others saying that Haley will turn the Steelers into a smash-mouth offense, or that Haley will rein Roethlisberger in. But Roethlisberger says that when he talks to Haley he doesn’t hear those things.

“I get a little confused at times because I know so much has been made about us quote-unquote throwing the ball too much, or we’re going back to Steeler football and running the ball more,” Roethlisberger said. “But in these meetings I’ve had with coach Haley he’s all about the no-huddle, and using our wide receiver weapons, and throwing the ball, and stuff like that, so I’m still confused. I’m not sure what’s going to happen yet.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/09/roethlisberger-still-confused-how-haley-will-change-steelers-offense/

Great:noidea:

Atlanta Dan
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Ben won't let it go about what an extraordinary challenge it will be for everyone to learn a new playbook:chuckle:

After going on Rich Eisen's podcast Ben shares some similar thoughts with Ed.B. of the P-G

"I joke and say that my final paper for Miami on Tibet was a lot easier than the Rosetta Stone we're doing now here."...

For Roethlisberger and the rest of the veterans on offense, it's like learning a new language and a new way of doing things. What's different?

"Everything," Roethlisberger said. "The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I've seen so far, there's a 90 percent change."...

"Steelers fans and coach Tomlin and the Rooneys apparently thought B.A. was throwing the ball too much. But yesterday in coach Haley's office, we were talking about using the no-huddle and throwing the ball and how much we have to use our weapons."

"Does that mean we can't catch up? No, but right now we're way behind," Roethlisberger said. "We're all asking each other what' going on. Coach Haley is not only coaching the players, he's coaching the coaches."... [Tomlin has to love that comment]

"It's coming along," Roethlisberger said. "Sometimes it's frustrating. I'm just trying to plug away a little at a time. I tell coach Randy, don't throw the whole thing at me right away, take it parts at a time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/diploma-in-hand-steelers-roethlisberger-tackles-new-playbook-635124/?p=0

Nice dig at Coach Tomlin and the Rooneys "apparently" thinking Arians threw the ball too much

IMO Ben needs to put a lid on the comments regarding how extraordinarily hard it will be to implement a new offense to replace the mediocrity of the past several seasons

Bayz101
05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
If it's entirely new, than it's already an upgrade. Upgrades suck for those implementing them, but GREAT for those who are receiving them :chuckle:

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
I remember Peyton Manning complaining when the Colts were cleaning shop, worrying about having to learn new things and setting the offense back...must mean he's not a very smart football player, right?

Hawaii 5-0
05-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Diploma in hand, Steelers' Roethlisberger tackles new playbook

May 9, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/05-09-26_roethlisberger_420.jpg

Hitting the books at age 30 has produced two tangible items for Ben Roethlisberger these days, one a college degree, the other a headache.

He earned a degree in education from Miami University Sunday by completing course work left languishing for nearly eight years while he pursued a career in professional football. He earned a post-graduate headache going over the course work of professor Todd Haley, who introduced his new playbook to the Steelers offense after the draft.

"That one'ss a little harder than the Miami ones I was doing," Roethlisberger said after he left another of Haley's classes at the Steelers facility on the South Side Wednesday. "I joke and say that my final paper for Miami on Tibet was a lot easier than the Rosetta Stone we're doing now here."

Haley's new playbook may be thicker than anything Miami offered, only there will be no cap and gown ceremony for graduates. There will be a series of exams that begin Sept. 9 in Denver.

For Roethlisberger and the rest of the veterans on offense, it's like learning a new language and a new way of doing things. What's different?

"Everything," Roethlisberger said. "The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I've seen so far, there's a 90 percent change."

Coach Mike Tomlin hired Haley after Steelers president Art Rooney did not renew the contract of Bruce Arians, their offensive coordinator since 2007. As offensive coordinator in Arizona, Haley leaned heavily on the pass. As head coach in Kansas City, his Chiefs ran the ball a lot. He has said he will adapt his Steelers playbook to the personnel.

"Right now we're practicing the pass because it's more complicated," Roethlisberger said. "Steelers fans and coach Tomlin and the Rooneys apparently thought B.A. was throwing the ball too much. But yesterday in coach Haley's office, we were talking about using the no-huddle and throwing the ball and how much we have to use our weapons."

Roethlisberger said fans won't notice much difference, but it's a big change for the players who have been used to doing things entirely different ways for most of their careers. They are way behind where they would have been had things stayed the same, but they have four months to get it down.

"Does that mean we can't catch up? No, but right now we're way behind," Roethlisberger said. "We're all asking each other what' going on. Coach Haley is not only coaching the players, he's coaching the coaches."

None of the coaches have been in Haley's system, including quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner.

"It's coming along," Roethlisberger said. "Sometimes it's frustrating. I'm just trying to plug away a little at a time. I tell coach Randy, don't throw the whole thing at me right away, take it parts at a time.

"I've been there two days this week, go back Wednesday. I feel a lot better today than yesterday, I'll tell you that much. I'm just going to take it in stride and learn it and help us be the best we can be to win games."

He's already shown what determination can do in the classroom, although his course study to finish up his work at Miami did not take place in a classroom. Much of it was done over the internet, which is a popular tool for colleges.

"I never actually went back to the school," Roethlisberger said. "They were very helpful. Professors would send me books to read, send me tests, do stuff through the internet."

Roethlisberger, who left Miami in 2004 with one year of eligibility left and was drafted by the Steelers in the first round, became interested in pursuing his education degree four or five years ago. He took a step toward doing so and completed two courses, but then let it languish again.

One of his former professors, Dr. Melissa Chase, who also is associate dean of undergraduate affairs at Miami, got in touch with him.

"She said that we can get this done this summer," Roethlisberger said. "She pushed me, kept me on track and kept it going, and I'm glad we got it done."

He joined fellow graduates for the Pomp and Circumstance March Saturday on Miami's campus in Oxford, Ohio, with his parents, his grandmother and his wife watching.

"Most people go nine years and come out a doctor. I didn't quite come out as that," Roethlisberger joked.

He could have just had the school send his degree, as with his homework, but, "I wanted to be there. I thought it was neat and important to be there and walk. I just feel like this is an awesome accomplishment. I'm incredibly proud of this.

"I've received a lot of letters and texts to my website, people saying it's an awesome example to their kids. That's the reason I did it, not only for my kids, but for others, too."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/diploma-in-hand-steelers-roethlisberger-tackles-new-playbook-635124/?p=0

Atlanta Dan
05-10-2012, 07:11 AM
I remember Peyton Manning complaining when the Colts were cleaning shop, worrying about having to learn new things and setting the offense back...must mean he's not a very smart football player, right?

When did Manning say he would have trouble learning a new playbook? I don''t think Peyton has indicated his new job in Denver has him confused.

Link?

If you go back and look at Manning's quotes he was talking about a lot of familiar faces being let go and it was said in the context of Manning knowing one of those familiar faces was going to be him - unless Ben thinks the Steelers are planning to trade for Andrew Luck and release Ben between now and training camp there is no similarity between the context for Manning's quotes and Ben harping about how difficult the playbook is

Roethlisberger is still bi***ing about Arians getting canned, as evidenced by the crack yesterday that Tomlin and the Rooneys "apparently thought" Arians called too many passing plays - he needs to let it go

FWIW Roethlisberger had no problem requiring the offense to learn a new playbook and Ben needing to learn new tricks when his good buddy Arians gave Ben a seat at the table to do it - this article ran in the P-G in March 2007

Roethlisberger helped rewrite the Steelers' offensive playbook, in collaboration with Bruce Arians, the Steelers' new coordinator. Tomorrow they start rehearsals for the first time in pads when the Steelers conduct their first training camp practice in Latrobe. Players are to report by 4 p.m. today.
"Back in March and April, he spent a lot of time with me and helped me write some of these things up that we're going to change," Arians said.

Roethlisberger and Arians crafted a larger role for the Steelers' quarterback in the new playbook.

"He's always had good control of what he's doing, we're just asking him to do more," Arians said. "We're expanding his role. He embraced it. He's spent a lot of time at it."...

"Kenny did a great job of protecting him," Arians said. "He was with a veteran group that all he had to do was go in and play. We want him to continue that mode but expand it, and have audibles -- if you see things, take them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/this-years-offense-is-a-big-ben-production-494289/

TRH
05-10-2012, 07:19 AM
i don't have a problem with anything he's said. I've never seen a guy where everything he says, mostly just light off-the-cuff stuff, is completely dissected, overanalyzed and studied. Give it a rest.
Not sure why everything Ben says are "cracks", yet other QB's say the same exact stuff and its just that. Nothing.
This thread needs to go to the "thread graveyard"

frunko1
05-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Ben always exaggerates everything. So not concerned. He probbably thinks saying he wont know the playbook will give him an edge against an underprepared preseaon team.

Hawaii 5-0
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Opinions Run Amuck Over Steelers Rothlishberger

May 10th, 2012 by dbuzardSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/5932798.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger is a newlywed college graduate who has not had a brush with the law in two years. He has taken steps to improve his public image by being more accessible to the media and more accommodating to the fans. Those are all good things in my opinion and show signs of growth, maturity, and stability. But to some members of the Pittsburgh media, it will never be enough. The newest and most ghastly crime Roethlisberger has committed is having opinions of his own. Oh…. My….God….. Ben. You can’t do that, son. Opinion havin’ is the job of trained professionals on the radio, television, newspapers, and internet. You keep your smart mouth shut, play football, and most importantly, leave the talking to us.

Apparently Ben Roethlisberger thinks it’s going to take a bit to learn Todd Haley’s offensive. Ben told Rich Eisen that understanding Scruffy Todd’s playbook is more difficult than the paper Scholarly Ben had to write on Tibet and that he made need a Rosetta Stone to help him figure it out. Damn, boy. The Secret Service will be requesting a sit down with you for that kind of talk! Ben didn’t say he was refusing to learn the plays. Ben is not asking for a trade to Indianapolis to play for his old coordinator and friend, Bruce Arians. Ben has not said he dislikes Todd Haley. Now, it’s true that Ben has been guarded about his opinion of new offensive coordinator but that situation, which wasn’t really a situation, got blown out of proportion. When Ben said the two of them hadn’t talked yet, media imagined some line in the sand had been drawn between the QB and the coordinator. No mention was made that it was the off season and, at that point, Haley had only been employed by the Steelers for 36 hours. The only person to point out any of that was Art Rooney II and really, what does he know? Ben was asked if he had any input into the hiring of Todd Haley. He replied that in fact, no, he had not had a say in who the new voice in his headset was going to be. That was easily extrapolated to Ben whining about being excluded from the process of picking him a new boss. To some in the Pittsburgh, and even national, media if Ben Roethlisberger walked on water the headline would read: “Ben Can’t Swim”.

It’s okay by me if you like Ben Roethlisberger or if you don’t like Ben Roethlisberger. I’m not sure what side of the fence I come down on in that argument. But maybe, if you are a member of the media, tossing out opinions for a living, you should have to preface your comments with any of your prejudices you hold toward that athlete, politician, musician, etc…. Let me begin. I don’t like Gregg Gianotti (93.7 The Fan) so when I hear him dismiss anything Ben has done to attempt to repair his public persona by tagging every positive thing Roethlisberger has done with “and all of that” at the end of every sentence, it pisses me off. Placing “And all of that” at the end of a statement is like saying “Do NOT take anything positive away from the previous words”. Gianotti (who I dislike) is fond of saying crap like “I know Ben Roethlisberger has gotten married and graduated college and become much easier to approach AND ALL OF THAT but…..” At least Mark Madden, who I REALLY dislike, lets it be known who he does and doesn’t like before he weighs in with his stupid opinions. He will not hesitate to say how much he likes Big Ben or how much his dislikes Hines Ward. Fair enough, Mark. I still think you are a blowhard douche but props for taking a stand and sticking to it. Ed Bouchette, a man I respect a great deal, writes opinion pieces that are more like miniature documentary pieces. You know how he feels about a player yet you still get to make up your own mind. Kudos Ed!

Ben is unhappy that BA got canned. They were buds, the Arians system racked up impressive stats, and there will be a whole heap of change coming with the Haley playbook. You don’t think Troy would have some level of discomfort if they replaced Dick LeBeau? But everyone really likes Troy. There is no “and all of that” at the end of statements about Polamalu. Maybe Ben doesn’t know what to think of the new offense or his new offensive coordinator. He’s been a little busy recently. It’s the off season you know. You aren’t allowed to have opinions about it, Ben. That’s the media’s job.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/10/opinions-run-amuck-over-rothlishberger-statesments/

Hawaii 5-0
05-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Big Ben is bedrock of 'Rosetta Stone' attack

May, 18, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

One week, Ben Roethlisberger is being given a diploma after graduating from college. The next, he's being handed a new playbook from offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

"I joke and say that my final paper for Miami on Tibet was a lot easier than the Rosetta Stone we're doing now here," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week.

The Steelers quarterback might have been showing off with the reference to the the ancient hieroglyphic stone (and not the computer software that helped swimmer Michael Phelps learn some words in Mandarin), but you get the point of the punchline. Based on what he's seen of Haley's complicated offense so far, Roethlisberger estimated it's 90 percent different than the one run by former Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1031/nfl_u_roethlisberger_300.jpg

Expect to see the Steelers' offense again relying on the right arm of Ben Roethlisberger.

What should never change is the foundation of the Steelers' attack -- and that is Roethlisberger. Haley is the new playcaller, but this is still Roethlisberger's offense. As long as he's able to stand on two feet -- which has been a challenge at times after taking so many hits -- Roethlisberger should be slinging the ball 30 times per game to Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Heath Miller.

If the Steelers want a top-10 offense, they have to throw the ball. The three teams that averaged over 30 points per game last season were pass-first offenses that relied on the arms of Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady.

If the Steelers want to remain an annual playoff contender, their offense has to revolve around Roethlisberger. The top five passing teams in the NFL last season -- New Orleans, New England, Green Bay, Detroit and New York Giants -- all advanced to the postseason and two of them met in the Super Bowl.

There was talk this offseason that Pittsburgh needed to get back to "Steelers football" and run the ball more. But who said that -- Art Rooney II or Ray Lewis? Because taking the ball out of Roethlisberger's hands only helps the defense.

Haley has proven extremely adaptable in his last two NFL stops. As the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, he installed a run-heavy offense with running backs Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones. As the offensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals, he put together a pass-happy attack with Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston.

It doesn't take an ESPN analyst like Trent Dilfer to realize that the Steelers' personnel resembles the Cardinals more than the Chiefs. The Steelers have one of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL and a handful of young receivers who can fly all over the field. Pittsburgh is also going to be without its starting running back (Rashard Mendenhall is recovering from knee surgery) and doesn't have a Pro Bowl fullback like Vonta Leach. There really should be no mystery in how the Steelers will attack defenses this year.

"Steelers fans and coach [Mike] Tomlin and the Rooneys apparently thought [Arians] was throwing the ball too much," Roethlisberger said last week. "But yesterday in Coach Haley's office, we were talking about using the no-huddle and throwing the ball and how much we have to use our weapons."

The Steelers have yet to line up as a full team this offseason, but you can imagine what they will look like on offense when they do. It should be three wide receivers split out wide and a single back behind Roethlisberger. The idea is to spread out defenses and keep them on their heels with the no huddle.

Haley won't be afraid to put the offense on the shoulders of Roethlisberger. He did it with Warner in Arizona. In 2008, the Cardinals had the highest called-pass percentage in the league at 66.1 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information's Allison Loucks.

The Steelers were never that one-dimensional under Arians, although it seemed like it at times. Last season, the Steelers called passes (includes sacks and scrambles) on 58.7 percent of their plays , which was 11th in the NFL but still under the league average of 59.4 percent.

The change from Arians to Haley was more than retooling the scheme. It's about getting into the end zone. There was no excuse for the Steelers ranking 12th in scoring in 2009 and 2010. And there was really no excuse for them to rank 21st this past season. Pittsburgh averaged only 20.3 points per game in 2011 and scored more than 30 points just three times.

Haley has to know the pieces are in place for a top-notch offense. Roethlisberger, who threw for more than 4,000 yards in two of the past three seasons, is proof of that. He can go deep to Wallace, hit Brown over the middle or find Miller down the seam. There are more options with speedy Emmanuel Sanders and veteran Jerricho Cotchery.

Perhaps one tweak is getting Roethlisberger to get rid of the ball quicker. The Steelers already took steps to reduce the hits on the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback by drafting offensive linemen in the first two rounds. The biggest loss on offense, outside of Mendenhall, was the release and eventual retirement of wide receiver Hines Ward. However, that departure should allow Roethlisberger to take on a larger leadership role.

So, Roethlisberger's first challenge is to understand the "Rosetta Stone" playbook. His ultimate one is to take a good offense and make it a great one.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/48419/big-ben-is-bedrock-of-rosetta-stone-attack

Hawaii 5-0
05-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Ben Roethlisberger Needs to Stop Complaining About Pittsburgh Steelers Playbook

By Andrea Hangst (AFC North Lead Blogger) on May 21, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/709/476/136570178_crop_650x440.jpg?1337619710

Hey, Ben Roethlisberger: Stop complaining about the new playbook and learn it already

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has twice mentioned to the media that new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook is like the "Rosetta Stone," the ancient stone written in three languages that helped archaeologists decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics.

While Roethlisberger was clearly being hyperbolic in his assessments, these comments indicate he's not yet comfortable with the changes that his offense has undergone this offseason.

But, with OTAs scheduled to begin on Tuesday, Roethlisberger would better serve both himself and his team by keeping quiet about his issues and focusing on learning that new terminology.

While the Steelers' offense won't appear that changed to the average eye come gameday—the schemes may change but the plays will be similar, and the team will likely continue to rely heavily on the pass rather than what's going to be a more efficient running game—the language that Haley uses is different from that of longtime Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

It's not easy to learn a whole new system's worth of terminology and thus it should take a little time for Roethlisberger to get up to speed. But his repeated public comments about the playbook's complexity simply must stop.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/435/108/143821727_crop_340x234.jpg?1337619760

Maybe Roethlisberger isn't thrilled about working with Todd Haley, but he needs to accept it

It's no secret that Roethlisberger wasn't entirely in support of Arians' dismissal and the hiring of Haley. After all, Arians helped develop Roethlisberger into the Super Bowl winner he is today.

But the NFL is a world of change, even if the Steelers are an organization known for their general coaching staff stability. This is merely part of the game, and Roethlisberger has had months to embrace the new system.

Roethlisberger's recurrent comments make it seem like he's complaining; they also make him seem a bit daft. It's a playbook, meaning it's football terminology. While there will necessarily be differences between Haley's plays and Arians', the end result is the same. This is Roethlisberger's job, after all, so he shouldn't be struggling so mightily to make the switch.

Further, the job of a quarterback extends beyond what happens on the field—he must also take on a leadership role in the locker room as well. If Roethlisberger feels comfortable repeatedly doubting his ability to master Haley's new playbook, he's setting a poor example for the rest of his offensive teammates.

How can Roethlisberger engender confidence in his receivers, offensive linemen, running backs and others who are surrounding him if he's constantly telling the media the playbook is too difficult to understand? What can Roethlisberger be accomplishing by his remarks other than not-so-subtly attempting to undermine Haley's regime before ever even working with him?

Roethlisberger could have avoided these questions from even being asked if he would have been more tactful in his comments. No, he didn't have to like the team's decision to move on from Arians, but that move came months ago.

In the intervening time, Roethlisberger had ample opportunity to accept the change and move forward, but it seems as though he'd prefer to whine about how hard his job will be instead.

Maybe he doesn't think Haley will help the team as much as Arians did, and that's his right. However, as the Steelers' starting quarterback, Roethlisberger needs to consider how his actions can harm or help the team as well.

That means he must stop complaining and start doing the actual work to master his new playbook. He needs to accept that though not everything will go his way, he must make the best of it in order to lead his team to wins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1190562-ben-roethlisberger-needs-to-stop-complaining-about-pittsburgh-steelers-playbook

Fire Arians
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
ive never heard ben complaining, it's more the media assuming this bullshit

TheVet
05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
In another thread, someone was arguing that Arians has done a great job developing Ben to his peak abilities. It's hard to know how to debate that point; you either see it or you don't.

Ben has at least as much natural ability, competitiveness, will-to-win and general toughness as any QB in the league (I would say he's the best package). If that's true, what's been missing? Why isn't Ben's name on top of all these lists? Does anyone think Peyton is worried about his new playbook?

Ben needs an OC to take the next step. Let's hope he's willing and able to allow Haley to take him to the next level. I think it's going to happen.

Fire Arians
05-21-2012, 05:51 PM
to me, it sounds like ben made a little joke about it trying to be funny, and the media is blowing things up. i guess this is the downside of the media having nothing to report about, so they try to start drama out of nothing.

TheVet
05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I hope that's the whole story, but it's understandable that he's missing his friend Arians.

The best case would be if he were to step up and be an enthusiastic leader in public, but we're talking professional athletes here - not everyone has Peyton Manning's EQ. I'll be happy if Ben just gives it a reasonable effort, and doesn't cause any headlines in the offseason.

tony hipchest
05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
to me, it sounds like ben made a little joke about it trying to be funny, and the media is blowing things up. i guess this is the downside of the media having nothing to report about, so they try to start drama out of nothing.

aso... bens got jokes, huh? :tap:

heres the new tutor the steelers are bringing in to help ben decipher the rosetta stone-

4_uOSy9I8-c

i already covered this on page one-

ben's not funny.

Ricco Suavez
05-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Sorry Tony, your jokes like Bens sometimes fall flat. You say you know funny but I also know singing but that does not make me a singer. Humor much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Hawaii 5-0
05-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Elements Of Todd Haley Rosseta Stone Offense Coming Into Better Focus

Thursday, May 24th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Thanks to several player interviews, and great reporting by the Pittsburgh media during the first week of OTA's, we are starting to see certain elements of what the new Rosseta Stone offense that Todd Haley is implementing come into better focus. Along with that we have a much better grasp of what the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line will look like in addition. It is not like Haley is reinventing the wheel here, but below are several things I think we can look forward to after digesting several player comments and grasping the personnel on the roster.

Lots Of Power - 22-Double, 14-Straight, 34-Counter Pike and all of the old school power running plays we have seen for eons as Steelers fans are not going anywhere with Haley at the helm. With Willie Colon and David DeCastro presumable at the left and right guard spots respectively, you can bet both will be on the move quite a bit along with Maurkice Pouncey. Sure the verbiage might be different, but many of the basics in the running game throughout the NFL will never go away, especially if you have the personnel up front to block it.

More Pulling With Balance – This plays into the power concepts above. Colon has said look for both guards to be pulling this year and there is no reason not to believe him. The Steelers have predominantly been a right handed team over the years with Alan Faneca and Chris Kemoeatu being the primary pull guards from the left side. DeCastro is well versed pulling right to left and we should see much more balance with a lot of counter trapping to the left this year.

Run First – At least through the first four games the new offense will likely rely heavily on the run, especially on early downs as the line starts to gel. Give any lineman a choice of run blocking or pass blocking and he will tell you he wants to run block. Until the verbiage is mastered and Ben Roethlisberger is comfortable with his reads, check downs and where players should be on the field, this should be a run first offense, and that goes for the red zone as well, if you believe the comments made recently by Pouncey. Gradually this offense should shift to where it will be hard to tell if they are run or pass first by mid season.

Fullback/H-back Usage – We should see less two and three tight end sets on the line this year and more use of the fullback/h-back or move tight end if you will. The only accomplished blocking tight end on the roster is Heath Miller, and I suspect he will be allowed to release more than usual this year. David Johnson and Will Johnson are both attending the running back meetings and not the tight end meetings now. It looks good that one of them will stick. Haley won't nail the tight end to the ground most of the time this season, so expect quite a bit of tight end movement.

A Little Pony – While I do not think it will be used extensively, I suspect we will see some Pony, or Rocket groupings featuring two backs with Baron Batch or Chris Rainey in the backfield along with Isaac Redman. The possibilities with 20, 21 and even 22 personnel groupings are endless when you couple a power back like Redman with elusive backs like either Rainey or Batch. I can count on two hands how many times we have seen the pony backfield the last two seasons, even though Bruce Arians teased that it was always a possibility that he would use it.

Play Action – Roethlisberger has shown over the years how accurate of a passer he is when using play action and we have heard that it will be used more this season from more than one player in their talks with the media. If the ground game is established early on in games, play action is like having one extra player on the field. It can freeze everything and allow for some great one-on-one match-ups on the outside in addition.

Throwing To Backs More – This is another aspect of the Haley offense that more than one player has hinted to recently with Redman being the latest to talk about it. He, Rainey and Batch are all more than capable pass receivers and I fully expect Roethlisberger to check down to his backs more than he ever has in the past this season in an effort to take less hits.

Pocket Ben – Roethlisberger has hinted at this himself already. He will be asked to stay in the pocket more and not rely so much on extending the play like he has in the past. Look for him to make much quicker reads and get rid of the ball to his check-down this season. He will still take his shots down the field, but most of what he will do will rely on short deliberate routes that consist of rubs, comebacks, crosses and quick slants in an effort to get the ball to a receiver quickly.

Up-Tempo & Hurry-Up – While I do not expect it early on in the season, the up-tempo and hurry-up offense should get used more as the season wears on in an effort to catch defenses with the wrong personnel on the field. Roethlisberger has been wanting more of this for years, but he will have to earn the opportunity to use it with Haley by fully understanding the offense, and more importantly, show that he is able to communicate it quickly to his young offense, who also must have a good grasp as well. A younger and more athletic line should allow for more of this as well and it was a major reason Arians gave for not using that much the last few seasons.

There you go and just that simple, right? While it certainly looks simple on paper, executing it on the field will be a different story. Route trees and running plays do not change, but the personnel used to carry them out and the manner in which they are carried out do. Haley is known for building his offenses in the past around his personnel. He also has been known to use a lot more different personnel groupings than say Arians did. Every offensive coordinator will tell you they want to be as balanced as possible, but each and every game presents a different challenge. It is a good thing that there is not a lockout this year as it would be horrible to have to cram all of this new verbiage and multiple looks into just a training camp. That is what OTA sessions and mini-camp is for and where teams who change coordinators or systems benefit the most.

I am almost done compiling some stats and personnel groupings from the time Haley spent with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Arizona Cardinals and hope to be able to share those with you soon to help give us all a little better idea of what to expect out of the Rosetta Stone offense.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/elements-of-todd-haley-rosseta-stone-offense-coming-into-better-focus/

Hawaii 5-0
05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Ben Roethlisberger to WRs: Be patient with me

By Gregg Rosenthal
Published: May 24, 2012

Two days into OTAs, it sounds like Ben Roethlisberger hasn't quite cracked the "Rosetta Stone" that is the new Pittsburgh Steelers offense. He's been trying to tell his receivers to remain patient with him.

"I tried to tell (them) don't get frustrated because I know you're used to getting a lot more balls, but this is how it was my rookie year," Roethlisberger said, via The Associated Press. "I know what one guy does and I go to him. If he's not open, I start scrambling."

That's what Roethlisberger excels at. But new offensive coordinator Todd Haley is trying to teach Roethlisberger to play more from the pocket.

"I know that I'm supposed to get rid of the ball, stay in the pockets and not get hits," Roethlisberger. "I guess I better learn where the protections are coming from so I don't get hit."

These quotes may inspire some hang-wringing that the Steelers are taking away what Big Ben does best. But it's May, and it makes sense for the team to be focusing on the fundamentals of staying in the pocket. When the games start, he can start improvising again.

Still, it's clear that fundamental aspects of the Steelers offense is changing. They have added fullbacks. They have more tight ends on the field. And Isaac Redman told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the team is focusing more on the running game this year.

Everything old is new again in Pittsburgh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8294f068/article/ben-roethlisberger-to-wrs-be-patient-with-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

Hawaii 5-0
05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

"Roethlisberger went through another "mental day" of OTAs. Did not dress"

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Steelersfan87
05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib A lot of Steelers not practicing today: Harrison, Colon, McLendon, Ben, Worilds, Sylvester, to name a few

Hawaii 5-0
06-26-2012, 07:37 PM
June 25, 2012

WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

--- I cannot listen to another Steelers fan tell me that the offense needs to run the ball more. The best player is the QB. The starting WRs are emerging stars. And the days of the 2001 Ravens or 2002 Bucs winning it all with game managers like Dilfer and Johnson are long gone.

What is needed, however, is a more physical running mindset for four-minute situations and goal-to-go of 4 yards or more. Don't "run it more"; "run it better" in situational football. Had they been able to do that last November 6, a #1 seed and a trip to Indianapolis were likely.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116931-guest-slog-random-dispacthes-from-the-empire-state

Bayz101
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
I agree with all of that, but haven't read the full article yet.