PDA

View Full Version : Where is the FB?

pancake
04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I thought with the new system we were suppose to have a true FB. Do we have one and I just missed it?

tony hipchest
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
fans just assumed that arians was fired for not having a FB and automatically figured any new coordinator replacing him would bring one along. there currently is no FB on the roster, unless you count our new 7th round TE.

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Hard times for fullbacks

Of the 30 running backs in attendance for the combine workouts in Indianapolis last month, only two -- Southern Cal's Rhett Ellison (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1244464/rhett-ellison) and Bradie Ewing (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1631176/bradie-ewing) of Wisconsin -- were branded as fullbacks. Two other "draftable" players were among the tight end invitees as H-backs.
The 2011 draft produced just five players at the position, none selected above the fourth round. Arguably the top rookie fullback in the NFL last season, Henry Hynoski of the New York Giants, was an undrafted free agent.
A former University of Pittsburgh standout, and onetime record-breaking prep running back, Hynoski, who pocketed a Super Bowl ring in his debut season in the NFL, had a nugget of advice for this year's fullback candidates.
Don't take it personally.
For the most part, the fullback prospects in 2012 have heeded the advice.
"It's a position that, in the minds of some people, is barely on the radar screen," said Ellison, a former tight end whose resume with the Trojans included one rushing attempt. "There are teams that don't have a fullback on the roster, and coaches who have [vowed] not to have one. But you can't let that get in your way. If you're a good football player, no matter the system, they'll find a place for you. I mean, you can't let it get to you. If you get a chance, make the most of it."
Maybe. But the fullback position in the NFL, while not quite extinct, is heading for dodo bird status.
Once a prominent position, fullback is an afterthought now, and a few general managers acknowledged to The Sports Xchange that they don't have a fullback candidate rated above the fifth round in the early "stacking" of their draft boards.
Some even suggested there might not be a fullback chosen in the lottery in two months. The success of Hynoski and others is both a blessing and a curse: An example to players that undrafted players can still make an impact, but also to talent evaluators that they can fill the fullback spot with low-round or undrafted players.
Or sometimes with players from other positions.
General managers used to suggest that some of the best tight end prospects were playing power forward in basketball. Well, some of the guys who will end up at fullback or H-back in the NFL were college tight ends.
"I'm probably being evaluated as much as a fullback, maybe even more so, than as a tight end," Alabama tight end Brad Smelley said. "Anymore, fullbacks come from some other position, so it's no big deal to me. If that's where scouts feel that I can most help some team, then fine."
Not only do fullback candidates sometimes come from other positions, but also from schools that typically aren't considered powerhouse programs. The top-rated fullback by NFLDraftScout's Rob Rang is Evan Rodriguez (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1781543/evan-rodriguez) of Temple. The No. 2 prospect is UMass' Emil Igwenagu (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1762057/emil-igwenagu). Rang rates perhaps a handful of players as likely to be drafted at fullback. As usual, clubs will attempt to add some as free agents.
The position is not only about developing projects but also about being right in a projection for a player.
"I think they're looking for pretty [selfless] guys, players who want to win, but don't worry about getting all the credit," said Rodriquez, a former tight end. "It's what you think of when you consider the [fullback] position now."

wyn50
04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Some TE's seem to be headed for FB hybrid position.

Fire Arians
04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
legursky! :)

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
won't be long before we'll be seeing RB/WR hybrids. more marshal faulk , brian westbrook type of guys.

jjpro11
04-30-2012, 07:11 PM
won't be long before we'll be seeing RB/WR hybrids. more marshal faulk , brian westbrook type of guys.

the way the league is headed, in a few years, a rushing play will be as rare as the forward pass was in the early 1900s.

DG94
05-01-2012, 03:15 AM
And then defenses will get smaller and faster to adjust, then some team will find a back in the style of Adrian Peterson and the like, and the smaller defense designed to stop the pass will give up more rushing yards, and the league will shift back again.

Rick5895
05-01-2012, 03:54 AM

Which is exactly the type of player the Steelers drafted when they took Chris Rainey.

VaDave
05-01-2012, 06:30 AM
David Johnson IS our fullback. It doesn't matter much what his number is, or that the media guide says he is a tight end.. If a guy spends 99.9 % of the time blocking in, or as a lead blocker out of the backfield.... he's a fullback. A fairly tall one, but still, functions as our fullback none the less.

tanda10506
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
David Johnson IS our fullback. It doesn't matter much what his number is, or that the media guide says he is a tight end.. If a guy spends 99.9 % of the time blocking in, or as a lead blocker out of the backfield.... he's a fullback. A fairly tall one, but still, functions as our fullback none the less.

A fairly sh**y one too

ZiggyHeyward
05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
We let our FB walk..he signed with the Packers...beat us in the super bowl and is in the top 100 players of 2012

DG94
05-02-2012, 01:28 AM
A fairly sh**y one too

He's considered that good now? :wink02: The one play I remember about him was Mendenhall's fumble in the Superbowl, Johnson turned away from the ball, stared at Mendenhall and then ran the other way! :banging:

Steelersfan87
05-02-2012, 02:30 AM
If people would stop focusing on a handful of plays they would realize that he's by no means a horrible blocker, and has gotten better over time. It was David Johnson's block that sprung Mendenhall in overtime against the Falcons, if I recall correctly.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
He's considered that good now? :wink02: The one play I remember about him was Mendenhall's fumble in the Superbowl, Johnson turned away from the ball, stared at Mendenhall and then ran the other way! :banging:

Do you remember the opening game of this year where he did the same thing and Ngata walked in and created another Mendenhall fumble??

Maybe that is why Pope signed here? The 7th round kid Paulson is more of a receiving TE that will have a hard time making the 53 over Miller, Saunders, Pope.

I still expect a FA fullback by training camp.

dyce23
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
We let our FB walk..he signed with the Packers...beat us in the super bowl and is in the top 100 players of 2012

I don't think he made it strictly based on his blocking ability, but no less, you are right. We had him and let him walk. He could have played the exact same role here and excelled all the same. We shouldn't have let him walk. Now, we're stuck with Johnson...he's not AS bad as people portray him, but he isn't even average. He has made some decent blocks in the past, as someone pointed out, but we remember the whiffs more because they were in bigger games. Still, I wish we had a FB that was consistent enough that I didn't worry every time he had to make a crucial block. A FB should be guaranteed to make a block - the question then should be whether or not he could hold it. Johnson simply whiffs a lot of the time.

Hawaii 5-0
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
The 7th round kid Paulson is more of a receiving TE that will have a hard time making the 53 over Miller, Saunders, Pope.

I still expect a FA fullback by training camp.

I believe Paulson is at least going to get a look as a FB and H-Back and has a chance to be the eventual successor to D.J. Johnson.

Apr 30th, 2012 by Jeff Snedden

Who is TE David Paulson?

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/04/david-paulson.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers spent most of the 2012 NFL Draft being lauded for their selections. We will all be hearing about how good OG David DeCastro is until the first blades of grass are stepped on in Latrobe this summer. The names Faneca and Hutchinson have been thrown around in comparison to DeCastro, so the giant from Stanford will have all eyes on him once the pigskin starts getting tossed around.

The controversial pick of T Mike Adams will be talked about until he proves the issues that kept him from being a first-round pick are truly in the past. LB Sean Spence was selected in the third round, a move that shocked Steeler Nation. His development will be fun to watch as his position and ability are debated. DT Alameda Ta’amu is expected to be the next Casey Hampton, a storyline that will unravel through the next season and into next year when Hampton projects to either retire or move on from Pittsburgh. The diminutive RB Chris Rainey will be watched to see if he can become the Steelers answer to Darren Sproles or Percy Harvin. Even WR Toney Clemons will have a built-in “hometown boy lives his dream” angle, returning to the city where he excelled as a player for Valley High School. CB Terrence Frederick is of course, a corner. There is no position that has been more scrutinized by Steeler Nation than cornerback, so fans will want to see if the team pulled in a steal with their late 7th round pick. We can even lump final pick OG Kelvin Beachum into the mix, simply because his arrival will push players like Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky for a spot on the 53-man roster.

The one player drafted by the team that is under virtually no pressure is seventh-round pick TE David Paulson of Oregon. Nobody expected the Steelers to bring another tight end into the mix, not after re-signing TE/FB David Johnson and signing veteran TE Leonard Pope. Even with second-year TE Weslye Saunders in the doghouse due to testing positive for a banned substance, the team is set at the position. Starter Heath Miller is a durable, productive tight end who will begin breaking every receiving record for Steelers tight ends this winter. He is as solid and set as a starter as anyone on this team, and his backup situation seemed to be handled.

Enter Paulson, a 6-foot 4, 241-lb tight end out of the University of Oregon. Having played for the Ducks during the most successful run in school football history, Paulson has seen the field during some huge games, including a National Title game (2011). He was a major contributor to Oregon during a string of three consecutive PAC 10(12) titles.

He showed up in the big games, including a 22-yard TD catch in the PAC-12 Championship Game vs. UCLA, and a career-high 8 receptions for 105 yards in the annual rivalry game vs. Oregon State. He also helped spring RB LaMichael James to numerous long runs with his timely blocks in the running game. Paulson was not an unknown commodity in the 2012 Draft, being ranked as the 18th overall TE in a talented class. While Paulson is probably not a player the Steelers will be looking at to replace Miller when the time comes, he could certainly develop into a solid backup, the type of player that Jerame Tuman was here from 1999-2007 after being a fifth-round pick.

The Steelers envision David Paulson as a player who could even – dare we say the word – line up as a FULLBACK. Despite his college career as primarily a tight end, Paulson has the athletic pedigree to be a blocking back, and once he gets into the Steelers program and reaps the benefits of position coaches like Tight Ends Coach James Daniel, Running Backs Coach Kirby Wilson, and Offensive Line Coach Sean Kugler, he could develop into quite the diverse athlete for the Steelers.

Fans expecting him to step in and play in 2012 might be disappointed. With a new offense being learned this summer, it may be a year of practice squad and special teams assignments for Paulson. The teams signing of Pope, a former player for OC Todd Haley in Kansas City, probably secures the backup job for now. A season of learning from a professional like Heath Miller could be nothing but good for a young kid trying to make this roster. Regardless of where the team ends up pegging him on the roster, bet on David Paulson to not be the “forgotten man” in the Steelers 2012 Draft Class.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/04/30/who-is-te-david-paulson/

PhantomJB93
05-03-2012, 08:31 PM
I feel like Leonard Pope played a lot of FB in Haley's offense before last year when Leron McClain was signed. I could be wrong though but I would like to think he could take over David Johnson's role and be much better at it.