PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers draft analysis

mesaSteeler
04-30-2012, 10:47 PM
2012 Pittsburgh Steelers draft analysis
April, 30, 2012
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/47333/2012-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-analysis

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Let's break down the Pittsburgh Steelers' 2012 draft:

FIRST-ROUND SPOTLIGHT: The Steelers would've been happy to come away with either linebacker Dont'a Hightower or guard Kevin Zeitler at No. 24. Not only did both players fall to the Steelers but so did Stanford's David DeCastro, the top guard prospect in a decade. Pittsburgh couldn't have drawn up a better board. DeCastro is a physically dominant blocker who will immediately start at left or right guard. The Steelers can thank the Bengals for passing on him at No. 21.

IN HINDSIGHT: The riskiest move of the Steelers' strong draft was taking Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams with the 56th overall pick. He was clearly the best offensive lineman left late in the second round, and he fills another need on the offensive line. But Adams was removed briefly from the Steelers' draft board because of character concerns. Pittsburgh's other option was Oregon running back LaMichael James, who was taken by the 49ers five picks later.

BEST VALUE: NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington. Memphis' Dontari Poe, the draft's top-rated nose tackle, was taken at No. 11. The Steelers got the second-best one in Ta'amu 98 picks later in the fourth round. That's unbelievable value. The massive Samoan is the heir apparent to Casey Hampton.

TOP LATE-ROUND PICKUP: RB Chris Rainey, Florida. His acceleration and high-cut speeds add a different look to the Steelers offense. New offensive coordinator Todd Haley has to be creative with Rainey because of his size (5 feet 8, 178 pounds), but Rainey can make some big-time plays if used the right way. He also has three career touchdowns as a returner.

SOMEONE WHO DIDN'T LIKE THIS DRAFT: Willie Colon. He might have lost his starting job when the Steelers drafted Adams in the second round, but he won't be losing money. After Colon refused to take a pay cut this offseason, the Steelers agreed to restructure his contract to create salary-cap room. Colon received $3.8 million of his $4.5 million base salary in the form of a bonus. The Steelers might have considered cutting Colon after this draft if not for the restructuring. With all that money the Steelers handed him in February, he's guaranteed to make the team.

tanda10506
05-01-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't think Adams will start right away. If Adams did start, would Colon start over Gilbert? If Adams does start they should move Colon to guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
I don't think Adams will start right away. If Adams did start, would Colon start over Gilbert? If Adams does start they should move Colon to guard.

I think they look to have Colon start at RT and Adams might challenge him for time at RT. Eventual plan will be for Adams to play LT, but needs to get stronger this year.

I thought that with Colon's contract he is a guarantee to make the team, but could get cut the following year to make contract room for Wallace, Brown, Miller, Pouncey etc.

ricardisimo
05-01-2012, 03:24 AM
If Colon stays healthy and plays well, he stays with the team. I don't see any way to cut him. Maybe he moves to RG. Maybe.

Rick5895
05-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Everyone assumes that DeCastro will be the left guard. he played right guard in college. Why move him? Let him be comfy and play right guard. We have a new OC and we can easily run left as well as right with him pulling and trapping to the left . That all being said, I'm sure he will get the opportunity to see what he can do at left guard.

Mistah_Q
05-01-2012, 11:41 AM
When Adams is ready to start, Colon will slide over to Guard... where he belongs.

SteelBlaze1
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Isn't it great that we now have the problem of who will start and who will be the back-ups? Much better than just a week ago when we thought we were doomed again.

Great draft...go Steelers!

Mistah_Q
05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Everyone assumes that DeCastro will be the left guard. he played right guard in college. Why move him? Let him be comfy and play right guard. We have a new OC and we can easily run left as well as right with him pulling and trapping to the left . That all being said, I'm sure he will get the opportunity to see what he can do at left guard.DeCastro should be the RG -- he brings a unique talent to the RG position that can give defenses a bit of a fit. But I still think he's going to wind up as the LG in time... because I don't think we have someone on our roster who can play LG nearly as well as DeCastro can. I hope Colon proves me wrong; if he can be an effective LG then all the better. Really it should be an open competition for the guard spot opposite DeCastro -- between Colon, Essex, and Foster. But I would expect Colon to win.

Dalarin
05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
It looks like this line, given a year or two to develop, could become a top 5 in football. I've never been this'd excited about any season. I wish I had the opportunity to run behind them.

Hawaii 5-0
05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Gerry: Steelers draft among best

TUESDAY, 01 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

Good morning!

The Steelers had a very good draft from the moment they were able to get Stanford guard David DeCastro with the 24th overall pick, and it just got better from there.

DeCastro was considered the best guard in the draft, and for the Steelers to get the best player at his position from such a low spot in the round was as much luck as it was fortuitous.

DeCastro is tough, athletic, smart, focused and passionate, with just the right amount of nastiness. Sound familiar? Those are the same qualities exhibited by All-Pro center Maurkice Pouncey, who became a starter and a Pro Bowl pick as a rookie.

Make no mistake, DeCastro will become an immediate starter in the Steelers offensive line, probably at right guard. And, in a short amount of time, he will team with Pouncey to be one of the best, if not the best, inside tandems in the league.

Here’s another prediction: DeCastro will be a Pro Bowl selection by 2013, if not sooner.

That alone makes the Steelers draft a success.

Getting Ohio State tackle Mike Adams in the second round was another fortuitous stroke, though this pick comes with some risk. The Steelers admit they are taking a chance on Adams after he tested for marijuana and then lied about it to coaches at the NFL combine. But, there is no mistaking his ability on the field. Adams is a big kid with long arms that he uses for leverage in pass protection. If not for his missteps, he would have been one of the top two or three tackles selected in the draft. Still, let’s hold off on the hosannas and this notion that he should immediately be penciled into the starting lineup. Or, even more incredulous, move Marcus Gilbert back to right tackle this season to make room for Adams at left tackle. Adams is not ready to be a starter in the NFL because he needs to get stronger. He did only 19 reps in the 225-pound bench press at the combine, a low and disappointing number for an offensive lineman. Adams should be a starting tackle for a long time and, with DeCastro, automatically elevates the talent on the line. But not right now.

The pick that really solidified the quality of the draft and made it one of the best in the league was getting Washington nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu on the fourth round. That means the Steelers drafted three players who should be starters by 2013 with their first four picks – a percentage any team would envy. What I like about the pick is Ta’amu is a pure nose tackle – a thick, massive, hard-to-move 350-pounder who can clog the middle of the line. He is not some 305-pound tackle or end who is going to try to play in the middle, like some people think Ziggy Hood can do (which he can’t). Ta’amau is the middle. He is a Casey Hampton-type player who will take up two blockers and create room for the inside linebackers to make tackles. Unless he is a flop, the Steelers found their nose tackle for the next 8-10 years.

Let me say this about inside linebacker Sean Spence of Miami, the team’s third-round pick. The Steelers loves his speed, quickness and athleticism, and the way he runs to the ball and make tackles. Yes, he is undersized (5-11, 231), but comparisons to former Miami Jonathan Vilma are understandable. Put on tape and you can see Spence is a player. Problem is, he is not the player the Steelers needed. The Steelers had to start finding a replacement for departed captain James Farrior, someone who could sit for a year and eventually take over for Larry Foote, Farrior’s short-term replacement, in 2013. But Spence doesn’t even play Farrior’s position. LB coach Keith Butler said Spence is more suited as the team’s mack linebacker, which is the position Lawrence Timmons plays. Farrior plays the buck position. Spence will be a tremendous special-teams player as a rookie and will develop into a nice player. Maybe he will eventually morph into Farrior’s former spot. But, for now, that is not the case.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116187-gerry-steelers-draft-among-best