PDA

View Full Version : All time best Big Backs.

MattsMe
07-21-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't believe this has been posted yet.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=834

No surprise who's no. 1. :cool:

Lyn
07-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I am surprised OJ is not on that list. :)

Ambridge
07-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Very interesting.

How in the hell can Earl Campbell be kept off that list??
I think Earl was around 235 pounds, only 5 pounds off from the minimum weight of this "Big Back" list.

JB-#1 :chug:

BengalBrian
07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Sweet... Pete Johnson #3

MattsMe
07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I am surprised OJ is not on that list. :)

I think OJ played at around 210 pounds, they define big backs as 240 or more.

Lyn
07-21-2006, 08:15 PM
I did not know that thaniks for the information!~

MattsMe
07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Very interesting.

How in the hell can Earl Campbell be kept off that list??
I think Earl was around 235 pounds, only 5 pounds off from the minimum weight of this "Big Back" list.

JB-#1 :chug:

Campbell was very talented, but I think he was more like 8 to 10 pounds shy of "big back" status.

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 08:23 PM
rip ironhead (my personal favorite other than the bus). butts and means were alright for a few years too. but other than the bus the nigerian nightmare might have been the sickest most intimidating "big back". im suprised the bus wasnt slighted just to get the greatest fans riled up.

Lyn
07-21-2006, 08:29 PM
< im suprised the bus wasnt slighted just to get the greatest fans riled up.>

Yeah I thought the same thing! :)

SteelCzar76
07-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Bussy deserves it from a pure size plus athletisism viewpoint. But to me the greatest big back ever was,... Bo Jackson. I know he was more of an optimum sized back weight wise,... but i have'nt seen ANYONE with his combination of speed and POWER since he got hurt. He was like Jim Brown with Wille Parker's wheels.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

MattsMe
07-21-2006, 09:08 PM
And for everyone who thinks we need a big back to replace Jerome:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=833

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 09:18 PM

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=833 good link, but even greater point you make. jerome was a once in a lifetime rb. we were the lucky team to have him and unlucky that he didnt win 4 sb's but he is gone and it is time to move on. now is the time of willie. us fans need to quit looking for the next jerome. he isnt out there. we can live in the past or evolve with the times and what works. at this point it is watching willie bust off 75 yarders in the sb against a fairly decent defense.

Lyn
07-21-2006, 09:26 PM
You hit the nail on the head, I, for one, am whining we need a "meatier" rb...............maybe we don't. Maybe I just need to let go of Jerome and hold onto the memories The Bus left all of us with while embracing Willie.

Run Willie, Run!~

boLT fan
07-21-2006, 10:35 PM
If you want to see just by how much Bettis won, look at the pound per yard stat, that's what they're basing it on. Bettins won by almost 30 YPP

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 10:45 PM
If you want to see just by how much Bettis won, look at the pound per yard stat, that's what they're basing it on. Bettins won by almost 30 YPP

now thats not funny. :chuckle:

MattsMe
07-21-2006, 11:07 PM
good link, but even greater point you make. jerome was a once in a lifetime rb. we were the lucky team to have him and unlucky that he didnt win 4 sb's but he is gone and it is time to move on. now is the time of willie. us fans need to quit looking for the next jerome. he isnt out there. we can live in the past or evolve with the times and what works. at this point it is watching willie bust off 75 yarders in the sb against a fairly decent defense.

Exactly, Jerome was an exception to the rule. Good post.

boLT fan
07-21-2006, 11:25 PM
now thats not funny. :chuckle:

It wasn't really a joke... that just shows how good he was. He was probably the biggest out of all of them, and he still had more yards rushed per pound than the rest of them.

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
It wasn't really a joke... that just shows how good he was. He was probably the biggest out of all of them, and he still had more yards rushed per pound than the rest of them.my terry bradshaw impersonnation didnt come off so well typewritten. :cool:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-22-2006, 08:10 AM
excellent read...saving this one to archives

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2006, 08:23 AM

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=833

Thanks for posting this. This is very interesting and a very good thread. I forone have no problems with Willie Parker as the starting RB. I'm very excited to see what he is going to do this year. But some Steelers are very worried about not having a bigger back carrying the ball. Especially my brother. I'm glad you posted these links so I can show this to him.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2006, 08:27 AM
good link, but even greater point you make. jerome was a once in a lifetime rb. we were the lucky team to have him and unlucky that he didnt win 4 sb's but he is gone and it is time to move on. now is the time of willie. us fans need to quit looking for the next jerome. he isnt out there. we can live in the past or evolve with the times and what works. at this point it is watching willie bust off 75 yarders in the sb against a fairly decent defense.

Exactly Tony, sure Willie will have alot of those 1 yard or no yard gains. But its the threat of him taking it to the house on any carry which I love. Willie Parker can break a game open from anywhere or on a single play in a game. I see Willie having a 1400 yard season and adding 7-8 TD's. I also would like to see him in the passing game more. If Willie could work on his route running. It would be interesting to see him split out like Marshall Faulk did in his prime.