PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh: Pats titles have asterisks

steelax04
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Tuesday morning he thought the New England Patriots' three championships won under Bill Belichick "got asterisks now" and have been "stained" by the Spygate scandal that rocked the team in 2007.

Harbaugh made the comments in an interview on a Baltimore radio station. He was asked about the New Orleans Saints' recent bounty scandal and whether it was worth bending the rules if he thought he could get away with it, and Harbaugh brought up the Patriots' videotaping controversy in his response.

"In the end, everything is brought before the light of day, when it's all said and done," Harbaugh said on "98 Rock" in Baltimore. "What happens, even the thing in New England, no matter whether those things had any impact on whether they won their championships or not, they got asterisks now. It's been stained.

"To me, it's never worth it. You have to figure out ways to use the rules to your advantage, you have to figure out ways to make the most of everything. We have new work rules here as far as what we can do and what we can't do with our players, and we're going to make the most of it. What we're finding is, 'Man, maybe we can do some things even better than we did before, because these rules make us focus more on some things that we didn't focus on before. You just have to make them work for you. That's what success is in the world. You have to find a way to do things better than somebody else. But if you're cheating, in the end, you're going to get discredited. It's not worth it."

On Sept. 9, 2007, a Patriots cameraman was caught illegally videotaping the New York Jets' sideline during a game at Giants Stadium. It mushroomed into a controversy that hovered over the Patriots during their historic 16-0 season in 2007. Ultimately, the league handed down severe sanctions, with Belichick receiving a $500,000 fine. The Patriots were fined $250,000 and were stripped of a first-round draft pick.

ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi, who was a linebacker on all three of the Patriots' title teams in the early 2000s and was with the Patriots in 2007 when the Spygate scandal broke, said he was perplexed by Harbaugh's comments.

"You want to take a shot, go ahead and say it," Bruschi said on Tuesday's "SportsCenter." "When I look down at my hand and I see championship rings, I know how much work had to be put in to win those championships. I'm very set and secure with all of the victories that we had, the work we put in."

Bruschi also reminded Harbaugh that, in some ways, he has Belichick to thank for landing the head coaching job with the Ravens in 2007. According to reports, the Ravens did not have Harbaugh on their coaching radar until Belichick called the team and recommended they talk to Harbaugh, who was then a Philadelphia Eagles assistant.

"The shot at coach Belichick I don't understand," Bruschi said. "When coach Harbaugh was interviewing for the job in Baltimore, it was coach Belichick that vouched for him. There's a little bit of loyalty that coach Harbaugh needs to learn."

Harbaugh until now has had nothing but respectful things to say about Belichick and the Patriots. He even came to the defense of the team earlier this year after his kicking consultant insinuated the Patriots might have been involved in a scoreboard malfunction that may or may not have contributed to the Ravens losing the 2012 AFC title game at Gillette Stadium.

Ravens kicker Billy Cundiff said he was rushed before hooking a 32-yard field goal, which would have tied the game with 11 seconds left in regulation, because he thought it was third down by looking at the scoreboard. It was actually fourth down.

"I don't think you can rule anything out in New England, can you?" the consultant, Randy Brown, said.

Soon after, Harbaugh squashed what could have been a blossoming controversy.

"We knew what the down and distance were on our last series," Harbaugh said. "The scoreboard was not a factor for us. Any suggestion that the wrong down information was a deliberate effort to affect the outcome of the game is nonsense."

The Patriots face the Ravens in Baltimore in Week 3 of the upcoming NFL season.

- As much as I dislike Harbaugh, I think he was simply making an obersvational statement rather than directly taking a shot at Belichick and the Patriots. Sounds like ESPN trying to stir up the pot for some clicks.

DG94
05-01-2012, 01:15 PM
You can understand why he'd say it but he's hardly the first to do so.

Fire Arians
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM
harbaugh's titles have.. oh wait, nvm

GMU Steeler
05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
He said, they have astraliks now. It was a comment that is going to stir up controversy. Anyhow, as much as I can't stand John Harbaugh, he may have a point. On the other hand, he comes across as a whiner here which is his MO given his past refusal to give an opponent especially our Steelers any shape of credit when they beat his Ravens. I also think Tedy Bruschi comes across as shrlll too when he acts like Harbaugh owes Belichick something, it was nice that Belichick vouched for Harbaugh but it was the Ravens' owner that ultimately decided to make him the HC. Anyhow, can't stand both teams and it's hard for me to tell you honestly which one I hate more. And Harbaugh is backtracking. Typical.

TRH
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
so, Baltimore's kicker feels he was "rushed" before hooking it?? Give me a break. I don't like Baltimore or NE, but thats lame. It was 32 yards...he should have made it. Period.

Bayz101
05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Although Harbaugh's right about this, he's only saying it because he's still butt-hurt over his Ravens losing to the Pats* in this years playoffs. So, although he's right, he's still pitiful nonetheless.

LambertWardSteel
05-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Actually this is the best of both worlds. The Cheats get more negative press and remind everyone how far ranging the tainted championships belief is. And, everyone gets a dose of the whiny, crying, little girl harbaugh is.

Atlanta Dan
05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Typical Harbaugh - now that it is the Patriots rather than the Steelers who kept him out of the Super Bowl he is starting to throw rocks at New England after bi***ing about the Steelers for years

Of course what is also typical Harbaugh is that when he gets called out he tries to weasel out of his previoius comments - he already is backpedaling on the Spygate crack

After saying in a radio interview that Spygate had “stained” the Patriots’ championships, Ravens coach John Harbaugh has now revised and extended those remarks.

Harbaugh issued a statement this afternoon after making those comments this morning, and he said in his statement that he wasn’t saying he personally believes the Patriots’ titles are tainted. He was saying he thinks others perceive the Patriots’ titles as tainted.:doh:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/01/john-harbaugh-patriots-earned-those-championships/

TRH
05-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't have a problem with what he said....and his "clarification" later in the day was correct about what he actually said.
What he said wasn't wrong. That "perception" of the Saints and Patriots championships will ALWAYS be there.........regardless of whether or not they put an asterick in the books.

tanda10506
05-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Damn what a puss, he said what he meant and what everybody knows, then got scared and backed down.

jjpro11
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM
first the Pats knock the Ravens out of the playoffs, and now they steal his draft pick, Hightower. poor Johnny just can't catch a break.

GMU Steeler
05-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Honestly, it shows you ESPN's slobber love of the Pats that Harbaugh gets blasted for pointing out that shocker cheating effects your perception among others. I can't stand John Harbaugh. Really I can't but his point before he decided to chicken foot around was a fair one in my eyes. I also have no doubt that Harbaugh doesn't say this if the Ravens win in Foxboro in January so I chalk some of it to bitterness too.

LambertWardSteel
05-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Mangini comes off like an idiot too. When he's coaching against it he wants the cheating stopped. Once he's out of coaching he thinks he should have kept his mouth shut? Why, so evry time you play them you can quietly let them continue taking advantage?

After seeing the punishment the Saints got it is disgusting to me what the pats* got. BB should have been out a year too.

DG94
05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Mangini comes off like an idiot too. When he's coaching against it he wants the cheating stopped. Once he's out of coaching he thinks he should have kept his mouth shut? Why, so evry time you play them you can quietly let them continue taking advantage?

After seeing the punishment the Saints got it is disgusting to me what the pats* got. BB should have been out a year too.

He gave the Patriots a slap on the wrist compared to what the Saints have had, they'd almost had a season taken from them with their head coach and defensive captain gone (not that I advocate what they did). No wonder Belicheat always tries to get his hands on another first round pick!