PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Depth at WR Still Lacking After Draft

Hawaii 5-0
05-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Steelers' Depth at Wide Receiver Still Lacking After Draft

by Neal Coolong on May 2, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3906096/120184743_extra_large.jpg

The consensus opinion of the Pittsburgh Steelers' draft in 2012 was they made out very well. It's tough to argue a world-beating David DeCastro at one of the team's biggest needs, a potentially outstanding offensive tackle in the second round, or a future starting nose tackle in the fourth. Add in an all-purpose machine like Chris Rainey in the fifth, and they walked away with stronger pieces than what they had to start.

The one issue remaining mostly unresolved is at wide receiver.

There is some excitement brewing about seventh round pick Toney Clemons, a good size-and-speed combo receiver from Colorado who came on strong at the end of last season. Even if he does pan out (statistically, odds of a seventh round pick making a pro roster are slim, to say the least), that would mean the Steelers, as it sits right now, would be giving him the 5th receiver position with no competition.

There isn't anyone else on the roster.

The Steelers signed WR Jerricho Cotchery to a two-year deal, and WR Mike Wallace has said he isn't going to sign his one-year restricted free agency contract "until he has to." WRs Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are both in the final years of their rookie deals, and both are eligible for restricted free agency next year.

Simply put, the Steelers do not currently have a receiver who will be under contract after the 2013 season.

That isn't a reason to panic, or to suggest SNAFU in regards to the position. It just means the Steelers are likely to continue exploring depth options at receiver.

Texans WR Jacoby Jones was released Tuesday after Houston drafted DeVier Posey and Keshawn Martin in the third and fourth rounds, respectively. Jones struggled mightily last season filling in for WR Andre Johnson, who missed much of the year with a hamstring injury. His fumble early in Houston's 20-13 loss at Baltimore in the playoffs is something the Texans won't forget any time soon. But his five years in the league, kick return ability and strong probability he could not ask for more than a veteran minimum contract could make him an enticing reclamation project for Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and receivers coach Scottie Montgomery.

There are also other intriguing options still available on the free agency wire. Jerheme Urban, a Todd Haley pupil in Kansas City from 2010-11, and in Arizona from 2007-08 (Urban stayed with the Cardinals in 2009 before signing as a free agent with the Chiefs in 2010).

He's a blue-collar, tough and physical receiver who may not have big career numbers (91 catches, 1,266 yards and eight touchdowns in seven playing seasons), but bringing in a veteran who understands Haley and the offense can help push the younger receivers for playing time. Plus, given the fact none of the Steelers' top three receivers - Wallace, Brown and Sanders - have a contract after next year, and salary cap limitations being what they are, putting in some continuity now for what appears nearly certain one of those three will be gone after 2012, isn't a bad idea.

Former Jacksonville receiver Kassim Osgood, a special teams standout (three-time Pro Bowl selection with San Diego), fits the Arnaz Battle mold as a 5th receiver who will contribute on kick coverage. Battle is still available in free agency after Pittsburgh released him this offseason.

The Steelers likely aren't looking for a guy to compete for 70 catches this season, but rather, an experienced, low-priced veteran who can step in when needed, even if the situation won't be good if they receive dozens of snaps each game. Jacoby, Urban and Osgood bring different elements to their game (returns and experience) than just simply their receiving talents, and could be guys the Steelers talk to before or during training camp.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/2/2993360/steelers-depth-at-wide-receiver-still-lacking-after-draft#storyjump

wootawnee
05-03-2012, 05:22 AM
I think our biggest need now is at cornerback and an extra reliable safety......Hope some of the guys step up........Just my 2 cents

Steelersfan87
05-03-2012, 07:23 AM
I really have no problem with the WR depth at all. Toney Clemons has great potential and will probably see like 15 non-special teams snaps during the season anyway, if that.

steelbelieve
05-03-2012, 07:34 AM
I guess I don't see the wr position having any more or less depth than any other position on the Steelers right now. In fact, I think you could easily argue other areas, such as their defensive line, and secondary are bigger question marks at this moment in time.

SteelKid212
05-03-2012, 09:32 AM
:coffee:

tony hipchest
05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
neal and i were discussing this on twitter the day jacoby was released. i think we should bring him in. i also thought it would be worth kicking the tires on jabbar gaffney but the patriots have already swooped in and signed him for a 2 year deal. theyre freaking hoarding wr's!

kan_t
05-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Quality wise, it may be the deepest position.

ricardisimo
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Our depth at WR is lacking? Only if we continue to run Arians' 5-receiver sets 50% of the time. Even then, what's wrong with Toney as the 5th? We have four seasoned, quality veterans and a promising draft pick. I'm sorry, but this article strikes me as pure fluff and filler. Slow news day in Pittsburgh land. That, or someone is pissed we didn't trade up for Kendall Wright or whoever.

Kingmagyar
05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Tomlin and Colbert were asked about receiver depth and why they waited until the 7th to address it. I remeber Tomlin adding at the end as kind of a throw in comment that they are also not done exploring free agents even until the end of camp. I'm paraphrasing of course but that was the gist of it.

I can see the Steelers waiting to see how camp goes with Clemons and even Marquis Maze then deciding late to sign a released veteran WR if needed. (Plaxico is still out there...) But that would mean Clemons or even Marquis Maze did not impress and I'm hoping they both do.

And the Patriots depth? Brandon Lloyd, Wes Welker, Jabar Gaffney, Deon Branch, Anthony Gonzalez, Ochocinco, Donte Stallworth, Julian Edelman, and draft picks.. plus two pretty good TEs.

Fire Arians
05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
we could always give limas sweed a call lol

ETL
05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
i think emmanuel sanders will surprise a lot of people this year

Steelerfreak58
05-03-2012, 02:57 PM

If the kid stays healthy he is gonna shock a ton of people. He is solid. I think we are doing just fine at WR with the addition of that new kid with the draft we should be just fine.

dyce23
05-03-2012, 05:36 PM

No doubt. Sanders can play at Brown's level as a WR when he's healthy. At least he could when I saw him healthy last; I hope that hasn't changed. He'll definitely surprise a TON of casual fans.

I'm not against bringing in Jones as depth, though, provided he's willing to come here for the vet. min. Sanders has had a history of injury in his first two years, and Brown, Wallace, and Cotchery are all pretty solid injury-wise, but have all missed a couple games here-and-there throughout their careers so far, so the depth couldn't hurt - especially if you can get a serviceable WR at vet. min. as a backup. However, I don't know if we can realistically afford to bring ANYBODY in, much less a backup WR when we may lack some depth, but we're solid up to number 5 now with the edition of Clemons. It would seem like an ideal signing for a backup, but that would be a luxury signing, and I'm not sure we have the money to make luxury deals. My opinion is that we go into the season with WRs that are already on the roster. I don't see anymore signings unless there are injuries between now and the season opener (let's pray there's not).

steeltheone
05-03-2012, 08:46 PM

He had better...He has done nothing but flash potential every now and then.

tony hipchest
05-03-2012, 10:40 PM
when healthy, sanders is probably the most sure handed receiver we have on the roster, and probably the best blocker as well.

depending on if rainey can prove to be a solid #4 receiver (incase of injuries throughout the season) will probably determine the final # of wr's that make the 53 man roster, but we still need to bring in atleast one more for camp competition that is not a rookie or probable practice squadder- even nate washington took a year to crack the roster.

Kingmagyar
05-05-2012, 03:10 AM
I would debate Antonio Brown's hands over Sanders . I really am amazed at how Brown snatches balls out of the air and has made the clutch catches time and again in big games.

I'm hoping for a 6 of
Wallace
Brown
Sanders
Cotchery
Clemons
Maze
and us not having to sign anyone outside (pickings are slim to none). We have plenty of WR bodies for camp with at least 12.

Whodis
05-05-2012, 07:08 AM
How about a fullback? Johnson need to be cut and they need to find another John Kuhn

Steelersfan87
05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Kuhn isn't much of a blocker...find another Kreider and then we'll talk.

FrancoLambert
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
How about a fullback? Johnson need to be cut and they need to find another John Kuhn

The day I read "the Steelers release David Johnson" will be a day to pop the Dom.
He is the biggest waste of a roster space. Let's hope this is THE year.

Steel95
05-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Without a doubt, the Steelers biggest need now is Depth at WR, Safety, CB, and DL in that order. I really don't think Mike Wallace will return next season, and who is to say Antonio Brown will? They both could easily be gone after 2012. Ryan Clark, Troy? Both are on the wrong side of 30, and to be frank, I'm sick of Ryan Clark's Mouth! Get rid of him so he can finally go and pursue his Analysts career. Ryan Mundy? Are you kidding me? Time for the Steelers rebuild their secondary, or should I say continue what they started in 2011. The Steelers are banking a lot on Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. But when you think about it, who do they have worth stepping up if anyone of them were to go down?

Steelersfan87
05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Brown is a restricted free agent next year; there's virtually no worry whatsoever that Brown will not be a Steeler in 2013. And you can bet your ass that AT LEAST one of Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, if not both, will be signed to long-term deals at some point. I fully agree about safety though. There are some bodies, like Cromartie-Smith and maybe Myron Rolle, but there are no special, Pro Bowl talents amongst the depth, to be certain.

The Steelers don't use dime packages much, so if one goes down, they will still have 3, and they used dime packages with 3 safeties probably as much as they did with 4 CBs, so I don't think CB depth is too big of a concern, although I would imagine they wouldn't mind having Crezdon Butler around still. 5th and 6th CBs are generally not particularly noteworthy players, though...

For the D-line, depth at NT isn't really much of a concern with 3 guys at the moment, and the next draft is supposedly deep for NTs, so if this is Hampton's last year, they could pick up a new Chris Hoke maybe. Let's not forget that McLendon can play outside as well, and if Corbin Bryant shows anything, then that's 5 players (with McLendon) that can play DE. Obviously Heyward is the next in line when Keisel retires, although it'd be nice to be able to start grooming the future 3rd or 4th DE soon.

austinfrench76
05-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I disagree with this statement. This is a reach.

FrancoLambert
05-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I disagree with this statement. This is a reach.

:applaudit:
Definitely a reach.......a long one.
Brown, Sanders, Wallace, Cotchery, plus/hopefully a draftee/FA or two.
This unit looks pretty solid to me for next year and that's all we should worry about.
Safety is the position that concerns me the most.
Big drop off there when our starters are out.

Hawaii 5-0
05-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Rookies ready for next step

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

May 6, 2012

The Steelers took only one wide receiver in the draft, seventh-round pick Toney Clemons, but also added rookie free agent receivers Connor Dixon and Marquis Maze to the mix at the position. Clemons welcomes the competition, knowing it can only make him better.

“Everybody is fighting for a roster spot,” said Clemons. “It’s motivation. But you have to go out there and play your game and prepare the way you do. At every level there is competition, here it’s just more elite. I have to be prepared, be on top of my stuff and find ways to get better every day.”

Dixon, who is from the Pittsburgh area and attended Duquesne University, was happy that the rookies got a chance to get more repetitions during mini-camp with no veterans taking part.

“It helps to get acclimated better with just the rookies here,” said Dixon. “You aren’t thrown to the wolves with the veterans. It’s a chance for us to get acclimated to this game, how they coach and everything.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Rookies-ready-for-next-step/8293b8db-0fa5-43ac-b34c-a94d57fb3a6c

Kingmagyar
05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
If Antonio Brown has another great year and even shows more ability to score TDs in the return game, don't think he is safe as a Restricted Free Agent as Wallace was. The crop of free agent WRs next year won't be anywhere near as good as it was this year. Teams had no reason to get Wallace when they had great choices in free agency. If there is lousy WRs available next year a team would be more inclined to give up a number 1 for Brown, who could be a pro-bowler at that point.

Brown is so young he would accept a deal this summer for modest money. The idea of a signing bonus around 8-10 million would get his attention and make it hard for him to refuse. If they don' t sign him then get ready for more worrying and a bigger price tag.

Steelersfan87
05-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah...I'm not worried at all about his restricted free agency. Nobody will sign him. Nobody ever signs players with first round tenders.

tony hipchest
05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Nobody ever signs players with first round tenders.why not? is it because a first round pick is too much to give up for a WR?

Steelersfan87
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, look at what the 49ers did. They drafted a WR in the first round after already adding Manningham and Moss. Why didn't they just use that pick to get Wallace? Obviously the giant contract is part of it, but I can't fully answer the question; I guess only a GM or owner could. All I know is that very few restricted free agents at any tender get moved, and I quite honestly can't think of ANY RFAs with a first round tender that have moved.

steeltheone
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Could still be questions about Wallace, we all know he is good, but......He has never been clutch in a big game, while having many chances....

Manningham has and came at a bargain price.

Steelersfan87
05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
He's only been in 4 playoff games and his teams are 2 and 2. That's not really my definition of "many".

tony hipchest
05-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Well, look at what the 49ers did. They drafted a WR in the first round after already adding Manningham and Moss. Why didn't they just use that pick to get Wallace? Obviously the giant contract is part of it, but I can't fully answer the question; I guess only a GM or owner could. All I know is that very few restricted free agents at any tender get moved, and I quite honestly can't think of ANY RFAs with a first round tender that have moved.yet teams have given up a small ransom for the likes of joey galloway, keyshawn johnson, roy williams, and deione branch (in some cases multiple picks including 1st rounders).

in the case of the 49ers GM, just because he DIDNT give up a 1st rounder for wallace doesnt mean it was the smart decision not to do so. after all they spent top 10 picks on crabtree and alex smith.

in hindsight the 1st round pick spent on crabree or heyward bey (raiders) would gladly be traded for wallace.

steeltheone
05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
He's only been in 4 playoff games and his teams are 2 and 2. That's not really my definition of "many".

Exactly, his team is 2 and 2 .....2 very winnable games.....Demaryius Thomas showed up.

Listen, no doubt he is good, but if your gonna talk big big money, show up when it counts!

Hawaii 5-0
05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Steelers Were Wise To Bring Back Jerricho Cotchery To Help Manage The Money

Monday, May 7th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

When the Pittsburgh Steelers re-signed veteran wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery prior to the 2012 NFL draft, they not only signed a proven veteran that is capable of serving as second, third or fourth wide receiver on the depth chart, they also signed a player that could help manage money, the Steelers young money wide receiver crew that is.

The last manager of the young money crew, that consist of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, was Hines Ward and he did a masterful job of laying a solid investment foundation for the young trio of receivers. Ward was of course released this offseason and has since retired, but his money managing torch will now likely be carried on by the soon to be 30 year old Cotchery.

Cotchery understands the need for a veteran presence in the lockerroom and following the 2011 season he was asked about whether or not the young receivers in particular still needed a veteran presence around during an interview. Cotchery replied, "I think they are ready to carry the load on their own, but you always need a veteran presence in your room. That should be the case across the league. I think that any time you take that veteran presence out of the room, it kind of takes a hit a little bit, even with the talent that you have. So however everything plays out, I don't know how it's going to play out, those guys are ready to carry the load, but you definitely need a veteran presence."

Cotchery had the luxury of being around all of last season to see how exactly things ran in the Steeler organization, and you can clearly tell in the interviews that he has given, that he understands and embraces the Steeler way of doing things. He was able to blend in last year without stepping on the toes of the veteran Ward and will now get the chance to emerge as one of the team leaders moving forward and a key contributor on offense in addition.

Wallace and Brown had tremendous success last season as both topped the 1,100 yard receiving mark. The duo has emerged as one of the most potent in the league right now and Sanders has also shown he has immense talent as well when he has been able to get on the field. All three are certainly headed in the right direction and Cotchery can certainly help make sure that direction keeps pointing in the same way that it has up until now.

Wallace, the eldest of the young money bunch, could miss most of the OTA sessions as he and the Steelers continue to hopefully hammer out a long term deal by the start of training camp, but that shouldn't serve as too big of a distraction. The fourth year receiver out of Mississippi is just doing what he believes he needs to do where his own personal money is concerned and you can't really fault him for that. Brown and Sanders on the other hand both should be present all summer long as they each get ready for their third season in the league. Both have shown nothing but poise during their first two seasons and should only need a nudge every now and again in the season ahead.

The Steelers money at wide receiver has been invested well over the last several years in the form of draft picks and it has certainly paid its share of dividends thus far. The young money crew just needs to be managed ever so slightly now without Ward around and Cotchery seems like the perfect fit for the job. The Steelers couldn't have invested their own money in a better money manager in my opinion.

The young money crew all have nicknames. Wallace is "Fast Money", Brown is "Quick Money" and Sanders is "Easy Money". Ward was even christened "Old Money" by the trio. The best nickname for Cotchery moving forward? How about "Money Clip"?

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/2012_steelers_53_man_roster_prediction/10736465

Steelersfan87
05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
yet teams have given up a small ransom for the likes of joey galloway, keyshawn johnson, roy williams, and deione branch (in some cases multiple picks including 1st rounders).

in the case of the 49ers GM, just because he DIDNT give up a 1st rounder for wallace doesnt mean it was the smart decision not to do so. after all they spent top 10 picks on crabtree and alex smith.

in hindsight the 1st round pick spent on crabree or heyward bey (raiders) would gladly be traded for wallace.

Galloway: Michael Irvin just injured his neck and retired. Galloway sat out the first 8 games of the 1999 season. They gave him a 7 year, $42M contract. This deal is part of the reason that trades involving first round picks are more rare...because it was so bad.

The Johnson trade was better than the Galloway trade, but its overall impact is again part of the reason these deals aren't made any more. He was signed to an 8 year contract, but 4 years later he was already on another team (ironically, traded to the Cowboys for Galloway).

Roy Williams...again, the Cowboys doing something stupid that today continues to force teams to shy away from trading first round picks. Another player that didn't even merit half the contract he was given.

Branch's case was easily the most reasonable. He held out to the point that the Patriots allowed him to seek a trade, and was eventually traded and received a 6 year, $39M contract. Williams got a 6 year, $54M contract. Yet it's debatable whether even this was worth it.

Of these players, only 1 had even a 1000 yard season with the team that traded 1st round picks to acquire him. Keyshawn Johnson had 2 1000 yard seasons with the Buccanneers, and even made a Pro Bowl. Outside of that, no Pro Bowls, not 1000 yard seasons. Joey Galloway played better with the Bucs after being traded for Johnson than he did with the Cowboys. I would say that it is these historical precedents, as well as the increased value of 1st round picks with the new rookie wage scale, that prevent teams from making these moves. Also, none of those players were restricted free agents...

And the Steelers don't cave to holdouts and allow players to seek trades. Can you think of anybody since Mike Merriweather that they traded, yet wanted to keep? They're not looking to trade Wallace; they're looking to sign him to a long-term deal.

tony hipchest
05-08-2012, 12:12 AM
exactly... my point stands.

even gm's in the nfl do stupid things all the time, so i will never automatically write off a team giving up a first rounder for a young stud talents like brown or wallace.

to say it will never happen because it hasnt happened in recent memory is a bit absurd IMO. even with the contact numbers you cite (and especially considering the cost of compensation) mike wallace would be an absolute bargain. the fact that some of these same teams wouldnt jump on a great deal today shows why teams like the cowboys are stuck with the likes of miles austin and no playoffs.

the browns, or bungles coulda both had wallace for relatively cheap AND hurt the steelers. instead we get wallace for $2.7 mil for which i am greatful. theres a reason the steelers crowd the halls with lombardi's and those chumps cupboards are bare.

tony hipchest
05-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Our depth at WR is lacking? Only if we continue to run Arians' 5-receiver sets 50% of the time. Even then, what's wrong with Toney as the 5th? We have four seasoned, quality veterans and a promising draft pick. I'm sorry, but this article strikes me as pure fluff and filler. Slow news day in Pittsburgh land. That, or someone is pissed we didn't trade up for Kendall Wright or whoever.i think it is more than fluff or filler. we could lose 2 out of 3 of our projected starters after this season.

we released ward and battle from last years roster and so far they have been replaced with a 7th round pick and a coupla guys who will be lucky to crack the practice squad.

i guess it all depends on if rainey sticks and if he takes the position of a wr, rb, or ST ace.

if thats the case, i want as strong of competition in camp to push him to either side of the "fence".

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Brown and Wallace are not at the stature of those players. Let's put it this way: the likelihood of losing Brown as a RFA is negligible.

Kingmagyar
05-08-2012, 01:53 AM
The Steelers should still try everything to sign Brown this summer because his value is only going to go up and it will cost them a lot more after the season.

Also the 49ers did inquire about Mike Wallace and were told he wants Fitzgerald type money. Brown a 6th round pick would not. In the past teams would have to give up a 1 and a 3 now it's just a 1.

Wallace is at least expecting to be paid as much as Santonio Holmes. That's 10 mil per. Steelers will not go there and should not go there. Leaving again Brown as the target signing.

I'm curious now where Brown and Wallace are on the top 100 NFL players 2012 list.

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 01:59 AM
I think you're going to be eating crow. $10M for a legitimate #1 receiver is becoming the norm today, and it increases every year. They HAVE to focus on Wallace now. They have until 2014 for Brown. And that's assuming that Brown does at least as well this year as he did last year, which you're fooling yourself if you think is a guarantee. Also consider what his game would be like without Wallace.

Here are some contracts of note:

Calvin Johnson: $16.5M
Larry Fitzgerald: $15M
Vincent Jackson: $11.11M
Brandon Marshall: $10M
Steve Smith: $9.5M
Wes Welker: $9.5M
Dwayne Bowe: $9.5M
DeSean Jackson: $9.4M
Santonio Holmes: $9.05M
Miles Austin: $9M
Roddy White: $8
Anquan Boldin: $8M
Stevie Johnson: $7.25M

The majority of the top receivers on other teams are either 1) no really #1 receivers (Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Miami, Washington), are too old for a big contract (Indianapolis, San Francisco), or haven't had their big contract yet (New York (Giants), Cincinnati, Denver, Green Bay, Tennessee). Others have had their worth diminished due to injuries. Also, many of these large contracts were signed a few years ago, and thus by this past offseason's standards are somewhat dated. For example, Greg Jennings signed a 4 year, $27M contract in 2009. If he was a free agent in 2012, he would have easily netted Vincent Jackson's contract or better. He is in a contract year this season, so he should have a big offseason in 2013.

OX1947
05-08-2012, 03:33 AM
I think you're going to be eating crow. $10M for a legitimate #1 receiver is becoming the norm today, and it increases every year. They HAVE to focus on Wallace now. They have until 2014 for Brown. And that's assuming that Brown does at least as well this year as he did last year, which you're fooling yourself if you think is a guarantee. Also consider what his game would be like without Wallace.

Here are some contracts of note:

Calvin Johnson: $16.5M
Larry Fitzgerald: $15M
Vincent Jackson: $11.11M
Brandon Marshall: $10M
Steve Smith: $9.5M
Wes Welker: $9.5M
Dwayne Bowe: $9.5M
DeSean Jackson: $9.4M
Santonio Holmes: $9.05M
Miles Austin: $9M
Roddy White: $8
Anquan Boldin: $8M
Stevie Johnson: $7.25M

The majority of the top receivers on other teams are either 1) no really #1 receivers (Cleveland, Seattle, Minnesota, Miami, Washington), are too old for a big contract (Indianapolis, San Francisco), or haven't had their big contract yet (New York (Giants), Cincinnati, Denver, Green Bay, Tennessee). Others have had their worth diminished due to injuries. Also, many of these large contracts were signed a few years ago, and thus by this past offseason's standards are somewhat dated. For example, Greg Jennings signed a 4 year, $27M contract in 2009. If he was a free agent in 2012, he would have easily netted Vincent Jackson's contract or better. He is in a contract year this season, so he should have a big offseason in 2013.

Wow. Every single one of those receivers are grossly overpaid.

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 06:27 AM
Not by the current standards of the NFL. If you don't want to support millionaires whose only skill is athleticism, watch college football.

mikeyg
05-08-2012, 08:27 AM
WR is not the least of the Stillers problems but it is one of the least - we have 4 STUDS (unless Wallace pansies out) - yes, then we have a problem.

Greater needs at S - what were they (not?) thinking?

still not satisfied with ILB - but we'll manage this year.

tony hipchest
05-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Brown and Wallace are not at the stature of those players. Let's put it this way: the likelihood of losing Brown as a RFA is negligible.if by stature you mean not top ten picks, then i agree they arent first over all selections or even first rounders like williams or keyshawn.

maybe if you look at what it would cost to get wallace vs the compensation for such great players such as the ones i named, you would see that a single 1st rounder is far cheaper.

it cost 2 1st rounders for keyshawn and his career highs in a single year for td's is 10 and 1200+ in yards.

same with joey galloway except he had 2 seasons with 10 td's.

williams and branch are freaking scrubs. williams had a single year with more than 1000 yds (1310) and never had more than 8 tds.

branch was a benefit of brady. wallace is a 2000 yd 20+ td receiver with brady as his qb.

dont get me wrong, im glad other teams GMs are morons, and more than glad to keep wallace for what will likely be his best season yet (most wr's dont finally "get it" until their 3rd or 4th year).

but to say nobody will give up a first for a top notch wr just because of the label of RFA is faulty logic.

i have shown 4 instances where teams have given up more for less.

zcoop
05-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Not by the current standards of the NFL. If you don't want to support millionaires whose only skill is athleticism, watch college football.

Exactly, teams get what they pay for at the skill positions.

steeltheone
05-08-2012, 05:44 PM
wallace is a 2000 yd 20+ td receiver with brady as his qb.

I don't agree....Plus Brady spreads the ball around

steeltheone
05-08-2012, 05:49 PM
WR is not the least of the Stillers problems but it is one of the least - we have 4 STUDS (unless Wallace pansies out) - yes, then we have a problem.

Greater needs at S - what were they (not?) thinking?

still not satisfied with ILB - but we'll manage this year.

4 studs is pushing it...1 stud ...1 star in the making ...1 sturdy vet ...and 1 with MUCH potential.

Wallace and Brown need to step up when it counts to be true studs....Crotch is a nice add and Sanders just needs to stay healthy and prove his talent.

No worries here. With a franchise under center everybody looks good....Except Sweed lol

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
if by stature you mean not top ten picks, then i agree they arent first over all selections or even first rounders like williams or keyshawn.

maybe if you look at what it would cost to get wallace vs the compensation for such great players such as the ones i named, you would see that a single 1st rounder is far cheaper.

it cost 2 1st rounders for keyshawn and his career highs in a single year for td's is 10 and 1200+ in yards.

same with joey galloway except he had 2 seasons with 10 td's.

williams and branch are freaking scrubs. williams had a single year with more than 1000 yds (1310) and never had more than 8 tds.

branch was a benefit of brady. wallace is a 2000 yd 20+ td receiver with brady as his qb.

dont get me wrong, im glad other teams GMs are morons, and more than glad to keep wallace for what will likely be his best season yet (most wr's dont finally "get it" until their 3rd or 4th year).

but to say nobody will give up a first for a top notch wr just because of the label of RFA is faulty logic.

i have shown 4 instances where teams have given up more for less.

And as I already explained, these instances are why this shit doesn't happen any more. :doh: It also doesn't account for the fact that the new CBA has made draft picks more valuable than ever. It has also made RFAs extinct except for undrafted anyway. Teams are generally smarter now with trades and more conservative with draft picks. It's more uniform across teams what the values are, and rogue moves (*cought*Raiders*cough*) are increasingly more rare. Bottom line: It's VERY unlikely that anybody signs Antonio Brown as a restricted free agent next year, and that's assuming that 1) he plays well enough this season to draw interest from other teams such that it forces the Steelers to put a 1st round tender on him and 2) the Steelers don't work out a long term deal with him beforehand. Of course it's not impossible. It's just extraordinarily improbable, especially when you consider that the teams most likely to do stupid things don't really have desperate needs at WR like the Cowboys, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Seahawks, Cowboys, Cowboys, and Cowboys (Jerry Jones was more of an idiot in the 00s than he is now) did.

Also, wallace is a 2000 yard, 20 TD receiver? Wow...

tony hipchest
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
that sure is alot of assumptions there....

dyce23
05-08-2012, 08:52 PM
And as I already explained, these instances are why this shit doesn't happen any more. :doh: It also doesn't account for the fact that the new CBA has made draft picks more valuable than ever. It has also made RFAs extinct except for undrafted anyway. Teams are generally smarter now with trades and more conservative with draft picks. It's more uniform across teams what the values are, and rogue moves (*cought*Raiders*cough*) are increasingly more rare. Bottom line: It's VERY unlikely that anybody signs Antonio Brown as a restricted free agent next year, and that's assuming that 1) he plays well enough this season to draw interest from other teams such that it forces the Steelers to put a 1st round tender on him and 2) the Steelers don't work out a long term deal with him beforehand. Of course it's not impossible. It's just extraordinarily improbable, especially when you consider that the teams most likely to do stupid things don't really have desperate needs at WR like the Cowboys, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Seahawks, Cowboys, Cowboys, and Cowboys (Jerry Jones was more of an idiot in the 00s than he is now) did.

Also, wallace is a 2000 yard, 20 TD receiver? Wow...

I actually agree with whoever it was that said Wallace would have those stats with the Patriots. Wallace isn't a top 5 receiver in this league, but his speed is enough of a talent that if the QB has time, and he just runs deep, he's there majority of the time. I think the dude is right - in that Patriot system, Wallace could very well put up numbers like that. If Ben studied the game just a bit more and our offensive line doesn't completely collapse in 2 seconds, he very well could do it with us, but our system isn't going to be designed to have him achieve those stats. The Saints or the Patriots would, though, so I definitely think those stats would be attainable for him in similar systems.

ricardisimo
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't agree....Plus Brady spreads the ball around

You clearly weren't paying attention when he spread the ball all over Randy Moss' statline. Still, I'd like to see Mike Wallace sniff a season receiving record - catches, yards, TDs, whatever - before he breaks anyone's bank, especially the Steelers'.

The question of whether or not football players in general are overpaid is a separate one. I'm not a big believer in paying wide receivers large sums, mostly because I don't see winning teams prioritizing WR. How many of the teams on that list are even going to get near the playoffs this year? Maybe Detroit, Philly and San Diego. The rest will suck and lose no matter who's catching the ball.

The smart money is spent on a franchise QB and either OLBs or DEs, depending on your system. Look at almost all of the playff teams with sustained success. Same formula. It's crazy that the Saints are even haggling right now. Morons.

tony hipchest
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
And as I already explained, these instances are why this shit doesn't happen any more. :doh: It also doesn't account for the fact that the new CBA has made draft picks more valuable than ever. It has also made RFAs extinct except for undrafted anyway. Teams are generally smarter now with trades and more conservative with draft picks....

:doh:

i guess you missed what the raiders and washington traded away for carson palmer and RGIII. (cough).

i guess you were absent on the days the broncos, saints, and chargers freely traded away the next years first round picks to move up (or back into the first). its pretty abvious you havent noticed theres virtually no difference in the contract value of late first round draft picks before and after the CBA.

31 overall pick DE Cameron Heyward- four-year, $6.7 million contract. 2011

31 jerry hughes Signed a five-year, $9.7 million contract. 2010

31 beanie wells signed 5 year/$9.0 million contract 2009

if you listen to GMs around the league which i do (listened to jeff ireland yesterday and, seattle's, colts' and cardinals' just last week) you would see that the overall majority actually found MORE value in a mid to late first round pick under the old CBA rules, but one of the consessions teams had to make for a rookie wage scale was allowing ALL first round picks to hit free agency a year sooner.

Steelersfan87
05-08-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/04/24/nfl-draft-picks-more-valuable-than-ever-under-new-system/

tony hipchest
05-08-2012, 10:49 PM
:yawn:

:jerkit: rookie salary cap... top 10 picks are cheaper... :blah:

tell me something i dont know. you refuse to see the forest beyond the trees.

HUGE difference between the value of a player drafted 1-10 than one drafted 22-32. if you cant see that then there is no helpin ya.

PS- actual football people know a whole hell of alot more than forbes writers which is why your article didnt merit more than 2 sentences worth of reading.

Kingmagyar
05-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Here's a early look at next year's Free Agent Wide Receivers List. (R) = restricted.

Lee Evans – Jags
David Reed – BAL (R)
Donald Jones – BUF
Johnny Knox – CHI
Brandon Tate – CIN
Josh Cribbs – CLE
Mohamed Massaquoi – CLE
Donald Driver – GB
Greg Jennings – GB (no way he'll hit free agency)
Austin Collie – IND
Blair White – IND (R)
Jason Hill – JAC
Kassim Osgood – JAC
Brian Robiskie – JAC
Robert Wallace – MIA (R)
Julian Edelman – NE
Devery Henderson – NO
Ramses Barden – NYG
Victor Cruz – NYG (R)
Louis Murphy – OAK
Emanuel Sanders – PIT (R)
Antonio Brown – PIT (R)
Deon Butler – SEA
Brandon Gibson – STL
Sammie Stroughter – TB
Anthony Armstrong – WAS (R)
Brandon Banks – WAS (R)

(Not even close to the name players available this year.)

Now imagine Antonio Brown getting over 1,200 yards receiving (he had over 1,100 last year and wasn't even the starter early) and still having his electric returns including several TDs. Not to mention any postseason accolades he may receive and pedigree playing for a super bowl caliber team.

What's he worth now against that free agent crop? I guarantee Victor Cruz gets signed by the Giants this summer and never tests Restricted Free Agency.

If the Steelers want to keep playing Russian Roulette with good quality receivers then next year is when the gun may go bang. Sign Brown this summer or regret it later.

tony hipchest
05-09-2012, 12:22 AM
thats a pretty sucky list of free agents next season. it looks like welker and wallace will be set to cash in. while welker has the numbers i feel he is the beneficiary of the system and his most productive years will be in NE. on the flipside is wallace whose most productive season will be with whatever team that has an accurate qb who chucks it up to him the most.

brown and/or sanders could easilly become 2 of the hottest wr's to hit the market next season. i agree that brown should be signed immediately.

just like people say teams NEVER give up a first for RFA's, i can easilly say the steelers will NEVER place the franchise tag on brown or wallace. if our wr's are going to stay, players like willie colon gotta go. maybe even heath miller or james harrison.

i think miller and harrison stay, and with the likelyhood and possibility of 2 wr's leaving, i think the headline in the OP of us lacking depth is a relevant discussion even this year.

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 03:09 AM
:yawn:

:jerkit: rookie salary cap... top 10 picks are cheaper... :blah:

tell me something i dont know. you refuse to see the forest beyond the trees.

HUGE difference between the value of a player drafted 1-10 than one drafted 22-32. if you cant see that then there is no helpin ya.

PS- actual football people know a whole hell of alot more than forbes writers which is why your article didnt merit more than 2 sentences worth of reading.

Why do you choose to follow me around and be a dick to me? This is getting old. I come here to talk about the Steelers, not get involved in typical forum bullshit.

That was simply the first article that I found. The point is so obvious and you are so annoying that I chose not to invest much effort into rebutting more of your shit.

Your examples that you used, by the way, are off base. Franchise quarterbacks, or what an organization views as a franchise quarterback, are not applicable to a value chart. Thus, anything can be proffered in exchange for one.

steeltheone
05-09-2012, 05:36 AM
[QUOTE=ricardisimo;1010739]You clearly weren't paying attention when he spread the ball all over Randy Moss' statline. Still, I'd like to see Mike Wallace sniff a season receiving record - catches, yards, TDs, whatever - before he breaks anyone's bank, especially the Steelers'.

Moss never hit the 1500 yard mark in New England....That was before Gronk and Hernandez, plus Welker is there too.

ANDYMISIU
05-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders.

I'm sure a young talent will step into the 5th or 6th role. I think our depth is just fine.

mikeyg
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
:applaudit:Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders.

I'm sure a young talent will step into the 5th or 6th role. I think our depth is just fine.

with the CAVEAT that Wallace gets his head and act together - which I do think he will. The Steelers were always in the catbird seat with that negotiation

ricardisimo
05-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Moss never hit the 1500 yard mark in New England....That was before Gronk and Hernandez, plus Welker is there too.

He came few yards short, and had to settle for only 23 TDs. What a failure. When NE signed him the talk was that Brady was a spread-it-around kind of QB and that Moss would be a waste of talent. So much for that.

In sum, when Wallace goes there he also will have to settle for a measley 1500 yards and 20+ touchdowns, instead of the monstrous 1100/8 he puts up for us here.

tony hipchest
05-09-2012, 03:28 PM
well the ravens signed jacoby jones for 7 mil/2 yrs. so much for that idea. with that asking price, we wouldnt have had a shot in hell getting him. good pick up for the ravens.

steeltheone
05-09-2012, 08:34 PM
He came few yards short, and had to settle for only 23 TDs. What a failure. When NE signed him the talk was that Brady was a spread-it-around kind of QB and that Moss would be a waste of talent. So much for that.

In sum, when Wallace goes there he also will have to settle for a measley 1500 yards and 20+ touchdowns, instead of the monstrous 1100/8 he puts up for us here.

The comment was that Wallace would have 2000 yards...That is what i disagreed with...

And with Gronk, Hernandez and Welker, 1500 would not be out of the question but not a give me.

chitownpit
05-09-2012, 08:46 PM

NOW THAT MADE ME LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl:

Steelersfan87
05-09-2012, 08:55 PM
It's ridiculous to predict that a player that has never had 1300 yards would have more yards than anybody ever has if he played with a different quarterback. I mean...come on.

And with all honesty, I would have no problem giving Sweed an invite to camp to see if he can fight or the 5th or 6th WR spot. What is there to lose? There's no denying the potential he has, or had, at least. Of course it's not going to happen, but still.

Kingmagyar
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: Jacoby Jones

Ravens paid 3.5 million a year to a receiver that had 31 catches last year for 512 yards and 2 TDs, and in a 5 year career has a total of 11 TDs and never reached the 600 yard mark. Hey Ravens if you want that kind of receiver you can find one in the middle to end of the draft and pay a lot less.

And we get Jerricho Cotchery for almost the vet minimum.

Hawaii 5-0
05-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Antonio Brown takes over Hines Ward’s old locker

May 11th, 2012

Antonio Brown is expected to take over Hines Ward’s old role in the Steelers offense. He also is going to be taking over Ward’s old locker as well according to a tweet by Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Brown has moved into the space vacated by Ward now that Ward is retired. It just makes sense.

Brown is the new guy that Steelers fan are falling in love with. He plays with that same passion as Ward. He never takes a play off. He makes the big catch when it is needed. He even has that signature smile that Hines showed all those years. He is a true Steelers just like Ward.

The locker of Ward is something that should be passed down. Brown would be my first choice to get it. I am glad he did.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/11/antonio-brown-takes-over-hines-wards-old-locker/

Hawaii 5-0
05-12-2012, 12:45 AM

Limas Sweed, Jamaal Jackson trying out for Giants

Posted by Josh Alper on May 11, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/limassweedsandiegochargersvpittsburghb2fla2eotfjl. jpg?w=250

A pair of NFL veterans are at the Giants’ rookie minicamp this weekend in hopes of continuing their careers.

Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News reports that wide receiver Limas Sweed and center Jamaal Jackson are both trying to catch on with the Super Bowl champions after seeing their careers derailed in recent years.

Sweed was a major disappointment in Pittsburgh, catching just seven passes in 20 games for the team after they made him a second-round pick in 2008. Sweed hasn’t played since 2009 after Achilles and shoulder injuries helped ease his way out of Pittsburgh.

“I’ve been playing football all my life,” Sweed said. “And when you’ve lost something like football, you don’t let it go. You do what you have to do. That’s putting the work in, overtime, being here at a rookie minicamp and just having fun and starting all over again. By whatever means it takes to get back, I’m willing to do it.”

Sweed’s a definite longshot to get a contract, let alone make the roster. The Giants have Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Rueben Randle, Domenik Hixon, Jerrel Jernigan and Ramses Barden looking for spots on the depth chart and all but Randle already have experience in the offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/11/limas-sweed-jamaal-jackson-trying-out-for-giants/

Steelersfan87
05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
NotoriousOHM Ohm Youngmisuk
Adrien Robinson drops what would've been a 20-yd gain in 11-on-11. Limas Sweed has several drops in 2nd practice

Damnit, Sweed, you make it impossible to pull for you to finally put it together...

Hawaii 5-0
05-12-2012, 09:38 PM
After The Draft Emmanuel Sanders Should No Longer Be A Returner

Saturday, May 12th, 2012 by Cian Fahey

Back in February, Emmanuel Sanders revealed that he had been told he would be returning kicks and punts for the Pittsburgh Steelers this season. Quite a lot has happened with the Steelers' roster since then which has given the Steelers a lot more flexibility with Sanders.

Despite how good he may be in the role, ideally Sanders would not be needed as a returner to avoid exposing him to any more injuries. After injuring himself in the Super Bowl at the end of his rookie season, Sanders has had multiple issues with his feet that limited him as a second year player.

He showed his potential towards the end of the season last year which culminated in a strong performance against Denver in the playoffs. Sanders had six receptions for 81 yards that day, both season highs.

I have always contended that Sanders was the better receiver than Antonio Brown since they both arrived in Pittsburgh as rookies. Sanders' height and soft hands, combined with his speed and agility, give him the potential to be an elite receiver. Last year his biggest issue was not enough time with the offense. Sanders repeatedly was on a different page to his quarterback.

Often Ben Roethlisberger missed him with throws because of miscommunication or Sanders simply wasn't as fast as his quarterback expected him to be out of a break/in stride. This was largely due to his inactivity during the preseason.

Once he began to get on the same page as his quarterback, Sanders put up big numbers with 10 receptions in Week 7 & 8. Then however Sanders' mother passed away and his season was once again stalled before it really got going.

If Sanders can avoid those kind of issues next season, 2012 will be his breakout year.

Asking Sanders to take on special teams duties seems an unnecessary distraction right now because the Steelers drafted two players capable of effectively carrying out that role. Running back Chris Rainey and wide receiver Marquis Maze both arrived to the Steelers as rookies this off-season.

Rainey was drafted in the fifth round and is expected to make the roster. The 24-year-old is a very versatile player who could feature as both a wide receiver and running back in Todd Haley's offense. Rainey's speed and elusiveness is what he will rely on at the professional level to make plays. Those plays could easily extend into a special teams role.

In college, Rainey was an all-american track runner and a record breaking special teamer with six career blocked kicks. Most importantly, Rainey averaged over 25 yards per kickoff return, nine yards per punt return and scored two touchdowns on 44 total returns during his career.

If Rainey isn't capable, or if the Steelers don't want him to be overextended, the undrafted rookie out of Alabama Maze proved himself as a special teams ace for the national champions averaging 16.4 yards on 77 total returns including 12.7 yards per punt and over 26 yards per kickoff return.

Maze is a small body who will be similar to Brown as a rookie in that he will not be a major contributor on offense early on. If Maze is to make the team then it will solely be as a special teamer early on.

While it may not be a major role for Sanders to fill, there is no point in adding more exposure for him to potentially get injured or ask him to spend time at practice not focusing on offense. Considering Brown has seemingly been taken off returns after a Pro Bowl year there, the Steelers should do the same with Sanders who could be just as important for this offense next year.

The Steelers should be passing the ball a lot more next year. Not just because they have a new offensive coordinator, but also the ambiguity that surrounds the running back situation with Rashard Mendenhall expected to be sidelined early on. With Mike Wallace's mindset not a certainty, the Steelers' wide receiver depth will be vital once again.

Sanders should be told to forget about special teams and concentrate on offense now.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/after-the-draft-emmanuel-sanders-should-no-longer-be-a-returner/

Hawaii 5-0
05-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Post Draft State Of The Steelers Wide Receivers

Monday, May 14th, 2012 at 10:43 am by Dave Bryan

http://img0.yardbarker.com/media/f/e/fe2d9821af6f966556dc4c4b7e65c20815a35b0b/medium/Pittsburgh_Steelers_v_8319.jpg?stamp=1336752302

We have completed our post draft state of the roster looks at the offensive line, defensive line and running backs for the Pittsburgh Steelers and today will have a look at the wide receiver position following the draft as the Steelers head towards training camp now.

Mike Wallace - Wallace was restricted tendered at a first round level prior to the start of free agency, but he has yet to sign it. It is not hard to imagine that the fourth year receiver will miss most of, if not all of, the offeseason workouts as he stands his ground for a long -deal. The Steelers have voiced since the end of the 2011 season that getting Wallace signed to a long-term deal is a priority, but both sides seem far apart right now on the numbers. The Steelers could lower his tender offer on June 15th, but likely won't as an act of good faith. Wallace will likely arrive get back to work with his teammates when training camp rolls around and this is when the Steelers will likely resume talks again with him and his agent Bus Cook. Wallace has an astounding 18.7 yards per catch through his first three seasons and now must work on perfecting his underneath game. Following the week 11 bye Wallace recorded just 19 catches for 271 yards and 2 touchdowns. Was that a drop off for Wallace or was it just the Steelers not having to rely on him so much with the continued emergence of Antonio Brown? Wallace stretches an opponent's defense like no other receiver in the game and he will play a huge role in getting the Steelers back to the Super Bowl with that ability alone.

Antonio Brown - Hines Ward is now gone for good and Brown really came into his own in his second season to show he can replace him. He will most likely start on the other side of Wallace and has the ability to play both in the slot as well as outside moving forward. While effective on both punt and kick-offs, the Steelers will likely look to remove both of those task from him so he can dedicate himself completely to the offensive side of the ball. In addition it will lessen the shots he has to take by not being the return man. The biggest task for Brown moving forward will be to learn the new offense of Todd Haley and understand the hot reads that go along with that, something he struggled with last season at times. Brown is a consummate professional who dedicates himself entirely to his craft and the sky is the limit for him moving forward. He is entering the final year of his rookie contract and the pay-off will be a big contract assuming his progression continues. There is no reason to think that it won't.

Emmanuel Sanders - Like Brown, Sanders is also entering the final year of his rookie deal. Unfortunately he struggled to stay on the field last season because of foot and knee problems, but hopefully all of that is now behind him. Sanders is a solid route runner, and now that Ward is gone, he is the best blocker the Steelers have at the wide receiver position. Sanders is most effective in the slot and that is where he will likely see the most of his snaps in 2012, mostly in three wide receiver sets. 35 of his 50 career receptions during the regular season have produced first downs with 10 of the 50 going for explosive plays of 20 yards or more. During the AFC Wild Card last season against the Denver Broncos we saw the type of receiver that Sanders can be as he hauled in 6 catches for 81 yards. Although he was told this offseason that he could possibly be the return man this year on both punts and kickoffs, that is likely not set in stone now that Chris Rainey has been drafted. It would be nice if Rainey could handle both duties to lighten the load on Sanders, who could easily register 50 catches in 2012 if he stays healthy.

Jerricho Cotchery - The Steelers re-signed Cotchery this offseason and it was an excellent decision to do so. Not only can he continue to serve as a leader to the young receivers on the roster, he also provides excellent insurance for Sanders should he continued to be nagged by injuries. Much like Sanders, Cotchery is best used in the slot and he should see most of his snaps in three and four wide receiver sets. Although he only caught 14 passes last season, they resulted in a 14.8 average per catch with 13 of them moving the chains and 2 resulting in touchdowns. Cotchery would have provided more in his first season in Pittsburgh if not for suffering a hamstring injury in his first preseason game as it cost him valuable time in the offense early on. Although it will not be required of the veteran, he can return punts in emergency situations as well as play on special teams. He should serve as both a third and fourth receiver on the Steelers depth chart this upcoming year and round out what could arguably be called the best group of four receivers in the league right now.

Toney Clemons - Clemons was drafted in the seventh round last month and the fifth wide receiver spot on the Steelers depth chart is his for the taking. He will face camp competition from a several undrafted and unheralded free agent types, but his combative catch nature combined with his speed offers tremendous upside. Clemons never received consistent coaching while in college after spending time at both Michigan and Colorado, but he will get that now from wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery, who is credited with the development of Wallace, Brown and Sanders thus far. The stiffest competition in training camp will figure to come from fellow rookie Marquis Maze and Derrick Williams, a castoff from the Detroit Lions.

Derrick Williams - Williams was originally drafted by the Lions in the 3rd round of the 2009 NFL Draft after playing his college ball at Penn State. He only has 9 catches to his credit in his two seasons with the Lions, but he did return 42 kickoffs in his rookie season that resulted in a 22.2 yard average per return as well as two fumbles in addition. The best shot at making the 53 man roster for Williams would be to beat out Clemons during training camp and the preseason.

Marquis Maze - The undersized Maze is currently the smallest player height wise on the Steelers offseason roster at 5 foot 8. At Alabama Maze led the team in receptions this past season with 56 and recorded a pair of 100-yard receiving games in addition. He also ranked 10th nationally and 3rd in the SEC with 12.39 yards per punt return. He is a shifty receiver that will likely only make the Steelers 53 man roster as a specialist and that would likely mean that he would need to beat out fifth round draft pick Rainey for that spot. He is a prime candidate for the Steelers practice squad with a solid training camp. It is not out of the question that the Steelers could keep 6 wide receivers out of camp, but the versatility of Rainey makes it likely that they will keep just 5 instead. Keeping 5 would mean that Maze needs to beat out Clemons and Williams as a wide receiver first and foremost.

Tyler Beiler, Connor Dixon, David Gilreath, Juamorris Stewart, Jimmy Young - This group of five receivers are all considered camp bodies at this point. Beiler , Gilreath, Stewart and Young were all signed as futures players this offseason, while Dixon was added as an undrafted free agent following the draft. It would take a near miracle and a few injuries for any of these 5 players to make the 53 man roster and the only hope for each is to show enough during their limited snaps to be considered for the practice squad.

Post Draft Prediction 53 Man Roster Wide Receivers

Mike Wallace
Antonio Brown
Emmanuel Sanders
Jerricho Cotchery
Toney Clemons

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/post-draft-state-of-the-steelers-wide-receivers/

Hawaii 5-0
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
New News That There Is No New News With Mike Wallace

Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported today that there was no news to report on Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, who continues to refuse to sign his restricted free agent tender until he has to. Schefter said Tuesday on NFL Livethat it "may be awhile" before the Steelers see Wallace at the team facility, and that Wallace won’t sign the tender "until he absolutely has to."

If you are shocked by any of this then you likely missed my post last week in which I stated that you likely will not see Wallace taking part in any of the OTA or mini-camp sessions this summer as he continues to make his statement that he wants a long-term deal done, something the Steelers want done as well. The next important date for Wallace that likely will end up being not important at all is June 15th, the date that the Steelers could reduce the tender offer given to Wallace to 110% of his 2011 salary and still retain his rights. The Steelers are unlikely to play that kind of hardball with Wallace and instead will wait until training camp to see if he reports.

There has been quite a bit reported about Wallace and his supposed wants and forthcoming actions ever since the he was tendered back in March, but neither he nor his agent Bus Cook have responded publicly to any of these reports. The Steelers have maintained their same company line throughout the entire offseason in stating that they want Wallace in Pittsburgh long term.

The Steelers first OTA session begins next Tuesday and Wallace is not expected to be in attendance for that or the two that follow in the consecutive weeks after that one. I suspect we will continue to get more of these new news reports that there is no new news to report on Wallace as the summer rolls along, and as usual, I will continue to pass along the new news of no new news to you so you can stay informed. You're welcome!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05/new-news-that-there-is-no-new-news-with-mike-wallace/

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Top 10 Position Battles to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp

By Nick DeWitt (Featured Columnist) on May 15, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/229/210/132688353_display_image.jpg?1337124216

Third Wide Receiver Combatants

Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery

Analysis

I don't see anyone like Toney Clemons sneaking into this competition, although the battle for the last receiver spots will be spirited as well (more on that later).

This is the slot position. Sanders and Cotchery are the principal players in this little drama because they have the most experience and upside. They each bring different things to the table. That's what makes this battle one of the best of the summer.

Cotchery is the possession receiver. He's the only one the team has now that Hines Ward has retired. That's important because it means he can go over the middle to get the ball and that he can catch the ball in traffic, especially near the goal line when everything gets compressed.

Sanders has speed, but he also is a very intelligent player who knows and can play any of the various wide receiver positions in an offense with equal ability. He could be a very good outside receiver, but his tenacity and speed might be great in the slot too. The main question with him is injury.

Winner

This is a tough call. I'll say that they end up splitting this role in various ways depending on the particular play Haley is running, but I'll give the depth chart nod to Cotchery, who is more different than the starters.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1184805-top-10-position-battles-to-watch-in-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp/page/4

Hawaii 5-0
05-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Top 10 Position Battles to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp

By Nick DeWitt (Featured Columnist) on May 15, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/229/211/143822129_display_image.jpg?1337124505

Final Receiver Spots Combatants

Toney Clemons, Derrick Williams, Marquis Maze, Jimmy Young, Juamorris Stewart, David Gilreath, Connor Dixon, Tyler Beiler

Analysis

That's a long list. Let's start to narrow it down with some common sense. Gilreath, Young, Dixon, Stewart and Beller don't seem like likely candidates for an NFL roster. There's always a ton of receivers in camp for every team, but you'll see many among the early cuts.

That leaves Clemons, Williams and Maze. Of the rest, maybe Young and Dixon will hang on the longest. Clemons was drafted, but that means little. Williams has a lot of good intangibles and leadership ability that could be valuable. He also brings a different dynamic in his skill set that could be valuable.

Clemons and Maze are both interesting because they were very good but unheralded in college. I like Maze a little more, but I don't know if he has the skill set to make this team.

Winner(s)

The question is how many receivers does Pittsburgh keep? They could take six total and keep two of these players. In that case, I'd vote for Clemons and Williams with Maze just missing out. If they keep one, my vote is for Williams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1184805-top-10-position-battles-to-watch-in-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp/page/5

Kingmagyar
05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Don't see the Steelers letting the potential of Toney Clemons a 6'3" 4.43 (low 4.36) 40 guy being kept in the 5th or 6th spot over Williams who won't see the field anyway unless due to injuries. Williams pro career to this point is as unimpressive as his college numbers, which equate to a 3rd WR at Penn State. But those are the three names to keep in mind, Clemons, Williams, Maze. Clemons needs to impress no doubt, if he does just a little he'll make it.

Williams' edge may lie in him being in pro camps before and his punt return abilities.

Hawaii 5-0
05-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Clemons ready to seize his opportunity

Posted May 15, 2012
Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Wide receiver Toney Clemons joked that when he left home to first report for rookie mini-camp on May 3 it was just like when he left for college at the University of Michigan. His mom sent him off without much fanfare or emotion.

“It was funny,” said Clemons, one of the Steelers seventh round draft picks. “I told my mom I am heading there, getting ready to report. It was like that when she dropped me off at Michigan and said goodbye and got right back on the highway. It was the same thing here. She wasn’t sentimental. She said enjoy and have fun, that is when you perform your best.”

One thing his mom did do, though, was lend him her car. Clemons proudly arrived in the parking lot at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex, one that is normally filled with large SUVs and sports cars, in his mom’s Hyundai Sonata.

“You are not there yet,” said Clemons. “You have an opportunity and it’s up to you what you do with the opportunity. Still driving her vehicle around lets me know I haven’t made it yet. It keeps me humble and hungry and focused.”

Clemons, who is from nearby New Kensington, Pa., grew up a Steelers fan so his hunger to make it on the hometown team is that much greater.

“I need to just be myself and learn,” said Clemons. “I need to take all of the coaching, all of the criticism because it’s all positive to make you better. That and learn the playbook. That is my biggest thing, and the most important thing is taking the time to study the playbook. You have to grasp it. The better I know it, the faster I will play. I have to learn it and it will help me be successful.”

Clemons knows how important it is to focus on the playbook this week and be as prepared as possible when OTAs begin on May 22, with veterans joining the rookies on the field for the first time.

“You want to get out there and play against guys who have been there and proven themselves on that level and see where you stack up and match up,” said Clemons. “I can’t wait for that day. Right now it’s one step at a time and I know that and have to conquer it.”

Clemons is definitely taking the right approach thanks to guidance he received from his cousin, Steve Breaston, who played four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals and is in his second season with the Kansas City Chiefs.

“He told me you have to stay humble and work hard and realize you haven’t made it yet,” said Clemons. “You made it to an opportunity that you wanted your whole life, but you didn’t make the team yet. You have to stay humble and focused and learn as much as you can as fast as you can. Just come to work every day and find something to work on and get better at.

“It’s been way more than beneficial to have him help me out. He has been in my shoes. He knows what it took to get to that point, and the dedication, focus and drive. He shared his experiences with me. He told me I will be fine, but understand the work is not done yet, it’s just beginning.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Clemons-ready-to-seize-his-opportunity/245e6d71-6e93-45dd-ae26-11d0eee88a87